[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do you think life on other planets would be like? What sort

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5

File: mars_arcology.png (694KB, 1280x744px) Image search: [Google]
mars_arcology.png
694KB, 1280x744px
What do you think life on other planets would be like? What sort of culture do you think they would have. We always seem to write aliens as very fond of megastructures. I'd like to think that's true.
>>
they would hear intensity impulses of light
>>
>>17351934
I'm more asking about the society they would live in. What ramifications do think sensing light in that way would that have communication networks, etc.
>>
on a sort of related note, how far would a planet have to be from a super-massive star like vy canis majoris for the planet to be in the so-called goldilocks habitable zone? vy canis majoris has a diameter of 1.977 billion kilometers. it's mindblowing.
>>
>>17351956
since they have never made contact with us in a way that we could understand, i would assume that they are vastly different from us.

even assuming that they would have such a thing as a "culture" or "society" is an assumption.

assuming anything is limiting the possibilities you couldn't anticipate.
>>
It would be gay and full of cux
>>
There are probably a lot of earthlike planets, seeing as how that works. Probably planets full of crazy ass animals just like we have here.
>>
>>17351976
Assuming infinite possibilities, I assume there is at least exiting one which meets the basic definition of culture and or society. "the aggregate of people living together in a more or less ordered community" "the beliefs, customs, arts, etc., of a particular society, group, place, or time." All that really means is that they have to interact with each other in a meaningful way. Of course we can't know and our guesses will be almost be certainly wrong, but its not worthless to speculate.
>>
>>17351991
but can we really assume infinite possibilities? there are a limited number of planets and atmopsheres/environments in the universe so that limits the number of "petri dishes" for life to develop in. even without eliminating a single planet as "uninhabitable" based on our current understand of what life requires, there are still only so many planets in the universe.

putting that aside and assuming that a vaguely human species of creature did exist somewhere else, i think that the way they developed would be very much influenced by the conditions of their planet.

if it was a smaller planet (or amount of habitable terrain) with fewer resources, there would be more competition which might mean a very aggressive and chaotic system or a very controlled and regulated system. if there was an abundance of resources, they might be less evolved physically or mentally because there was little need to compete for resources or adapt to times of hardship.

their belief system would also be based on their environment since we can pretty much see that all human belief systems, including modern science originated with the purpose of explaining the world we saw around us and understanding how it works.

the mode of communication would be based on the specific physiology of the species. if they have eyes, it would be visual and if they have ears it would be aural and so on and so forth.

i know i'm not giving any specifics which is probably what you intended by making the thread but i think what i said is pretty rooted in logic.
>>
>>17351978
Cuckolding is the thinking man's fetish.
Maybe when you're a bit older and your tastes a bit more refined you'll gain a better sense of perspective & a clearer understanding of your place in the grander schema. That day, maybe you'll have the presence of mind & sense of social responsibility to do your part!
>>
>>17352017
>there are a limited number of planets and atmopsheres/environments in the universe

not literally infinite, but practically infinite when you consider the true scope of the universe. Especially because i'm talking about possibilities not actualities. Until we find all those actualities, and confirm their nature, it is a complete mystery and thus made up of almost infinite possibilities.

and the likelihood that at least one of those actualities is a social species and that sociability is important, seems pretty high to me. I'm am asking for hypothetical situations that supposes what might be the consequences of certain attributes, both biological and environmental, that hypothetical alien race would face.
>>
>>17352023
fag
>>
>>17352023
>>17352029
>>17351978

>samefagging this hard
>>
>>17352031
are you fucking retarded or something?
>>
>>17352033
no, but i can read the thread info in the bottom bar that shows how many people are posting, and i see you have no screen shot to prove you aren't a samefagging dorkus.
>>
>>17352025
>'m am asking for hypothetical situations that supposes what might be the consequences of certain attributes, both biological and environmental, that hypothetical alien race would face.
well my point is that the possibilities are so vast that this is an unanswerable question. wthout narrowing the possibilities of what the planet was like and what their bodies looked like (and adding a few other assumptions) we'd just be fantasizing.

the stuff i mentioned already assumed that they were a social species but even then it would be hard to say. humans and animals are the only examples we have and only humans have anything like art or beliefs and only a handful of species are even capable of using tools. anything i come up with will be inherently "earthly."
>>
File: fucktard.png (39KB, 430x321px) Image search: [Google]
fucktard.png
39KB, 430x321px
>>17352039
idiot
>>
>>17352039
multiple people responded before the "samefagging" ever started so number of posters is not very useful
>>
>>17352045
kek
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-02-13-16-06-48.png (286KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-02-13-16-06-48.png
286KB, 1080x1920px
>>17352031
Kek, wrong faggot. It's literally three different anons.
>>
>>17352031
Spot the retard
>>
>>17353281
>>17353272
samefag.
>>
I personally believe that life does exist on other planets.
Imagine the size of the universe. Isn't it way too big for other forms of life to not exist ?
But I believe it is not gonna be ayylmaos or something like that. It might be just some micro-organisms like bacteria or viruses living somewhere somehow in some planet which is favorable for existence of life.
>>
File: pt31892.jpg (60KB, 450x297px) Image search: [Google]
pt31892.jpg
60KB, 450x297px
>>17351918
seriously
>>
>>17351918
I like to think they would have extremely nerdy or childlike interests in general.

That's not just wishful thinking, we actually notice that trend in our own civilizations don't we? Look at how childish/superficial literally everyone is today compared to the middle ages. Now extrapolate that a million years into the future.
In the absence of absolute meaning, civilizations will probably create their own meaning where none really exists.

That's another reason why I'm pretty sure they would be peaceful and value life.

I think the idea of super cold, militarized, machine like advanced civilizations is going to turn out to be one of those ridiculous concepts from an ignorant time period.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.