[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Chaos magic and the dark tower books

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: randall.jpg (7KB, 184x274px) Image search: [Google]
randall.jpg
7KB, 184x274px
Have anyone noticed that the dark tower books are full of tips to the chaos magic lore?
In particular, Randall Flagg, the main antagonist, is a chaos practitioner.
>meditates and creates a raven tulpa on The Stand
>changes behavior every "cycle" and collects pins of every ideology possible
>changes even name and appearance; as chaotes must have an impermanent identity
>Uses every kind of magic available, from tarot to kabbalah, scrying on a water basin, chants and dances, spirit summoning, sigils, etc but his main weapon being trickery and charisma, and always seems to come up with the perfect spell for the specific situation.
>he even uses a car's gear rod as a magic wand, for god's sake.
>and what's up with him being a paladin to chaos, as said continually since half point of the series? and what's about the discordia thing?

Stephen King, did you do it on purpose?
>>
>>17318800
When you put it that way, it makes him sound like a full-blown Gary Stu. Does he even have any weaknesses?
>>
When he got killed, he thought that his mind protection was working but it wasnt.
>>
>>17318808
His incredible arrogance and overconfidence

[spoiler]
>His plans are thwarted many times by underrating his enemies; mainly because the guys he thought he had under his control suddently develop guts (Thomas in the Eyes of the dragon; The pyromaniac guy at the Stand) and turn against him.
>Also, on the Dark tower, he puts on a tin foil hat to block his thoughts from a giant-psychic-spider that he's trying to befriend. Turns out that the hat didn' work and he's eaten alive.
>His powers seem to dwindle whenever somebody shakes off the terror and confronts him directly
>Also he was born a common human somewhere in England, and was assraped as a kid by her stepfather
[/spoiler]
>>
>>17318817
maybe he hadn't done his meditation routine that week
>>
>>17318800
Shit that sounds like me.
>>
>>17318800
He did it on purpose because he's meant to be an all-encompassing evil not tied to any one belief system. He IS the embodiment of chaos. Did King read up on Osman Spare? Not at all likely. But the end-result is similar
>>
>>17318984
what do you think about the whole discordia/discordians connection? being in the book that discordia is like the name of the collective evil powers against the Tower (the voice of Purpose, aka the force that imposes order over chaos)
>>
the whole magic along the series is very chaos magiquesque, even the one the protagonists use
>>
>>17318800
>did you do it on purpose?
It's always on purpose when dealing with an author.
>>
>>17318822
>a giant-psychic-spider that he's trying to befriend
I didn't say that, fuck you. I explicit didn't say that, goddammit.
>>
>>17320531
>explicitly
fix
>>
>>17320524
x = 0d + 4c = 0

Someone will always find the context.
>>
>>17320661
excuse me? is that a discordian koan?
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.