[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Found Footage Videos

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 7

File: ron-swanson-clenches-fist.jpg (9KB, 600x338px) Image search: [Google]
ron-swanson-clenches-fist.jpg
9KB, 600x338px
I'm grasping at straws. I believe I have watched every video suggested, but I want more. I love the suspense and wind-up, and often psychological factors of found footage videos.

- Troll Hunter (Solid, Hard To Find English Sub)
- The Devil's Pass (Interesting, Lost Me At The End)
- The Banshee Chapter (Didn't Care For)
- The Borderlands (Ending Is Worth)

I have seen all of REC, but it was pretty mediocre. Blair Witch is a given, but that just annoyed me. There was another, the name escapes me, but it involved this guy and his girlfriend going out in search of bigfoot, and a long, awkward tent scene in which something huffs and rubs around outside of their tent for far too long.

I have watched a few Japanese found-footage films, Noroi being a gem amidst the pile, and one which I feel I could go and rewatch without getting bored.

As I said though, I've been hanging around /x/ for a long time trying to find decent titles, and now I am at a loss.

Feel free to suggest films. I'll look up each and every one, and even if it's a repeat, we can discuss the various titles that come up.

The Babadook is garbage.
>>
>>17282410
I love the idea of found footage movies, but they all turn out to be garbage.

They always have great potential. The style is very engaging and makes the action feel more intense. You actually feel like you're with the main characters, as opposed to just watching them like many other movies.

The problem is they're almost always shit. My favorite found footage so far is probably Grave Encounters (the first and second). They're two of the most well done found footage movies I've seen. Very creepy and the characters are believable unlike many other found footage movies. I think I saw The Borderlands and it was pretty good as well, worth watching IMO. As Above, So Below had promise right up until the last 20 minutes or so. There's a movie called "Creep" which I saw and kind of liked. It's less scary and more creepy, but moderately well done and interesting. he movie Oculus was okay, not great by any sense though.

V/H/S also comes to mind, the first and the second are worth watching. I tried to watch the third but I couldn't get into it.The first Paranormal Activity movie isn't bad, and even the second one is okay. After the second their watchability goes way down, but it is an option if you really need something. Most of the other found footage movies on Netflix are just trash.
>>
>>17282485
I forgot Sinister and The conjuring. Sinister isn't all found footage but it includes some footage elements that makes it pretty interesting. The Conjuring was one of the better ghost/demon found footage movies
>>
I had mixed feelings about Grave Encounters. It was done... alright, but the effects really threw my immersion. They had great momentum with the film's pacing, and then now and then tilted on shitty graphical effects when things were already doing pretty well without them.

I'm running youtube on trailers for some of the others you mentioned, but I'm fairly sure I've seen them and just forgotten the names.

VHS didn't impress me much. Its effects and acting skills didn't bring much to the table, with people smirking or laughing while being stabbed.
>>
The Conjuring juggled a plot, but never really delivered on it. Sinister was just a more poorly-done Paranormal Activity. The Devil at the end just made me sigh, and there was nothing eerie about him walking through the crowd of people in halloween costumes.
>>
I'm about to watch "Dark Was The Night" from 2015.
It looks very promising, albeit not entirely a Found Footage film.
>>
Honestly, the real strength of Grave Encounters was the strong inspiration from general popular horror fiction. It was more like a nod to all things that people who love horror/paranormal find amusing and entertaining. Definitely awesome films from that perspective.

The first few V/H/S and REC films are brilliant imo.

The Tunnel is an Australian film which is pretty cool if you're into found footage. Some great ideas in there.

Paranormal Activity - obviously cool for the (mostly) realistic representation of the modern paranormal story. A bit cheesy, and the jump scares are basically a clumsy wreck, especially in later films, but you take what you can get when it comes to found footage.

Trollhunter is definitely great.

Most others are pretty awful.

I heard a lot of good things about Afflicted but I haven't seen it. Anyone got anything good to say about it?
>>
>>17282410
"Les Documents interdits" by Jean-Teddy Filippe.
>>
Oh man, I love found footage, even though most of it is, indeed, terrible.
Devil's Pass is one of my favourite movies in general, so maybe take my opinion with a grain of salt, but here are my recommendations:

The V/H/S series. Each film is composed of shorts by different directors, so the quality and content of each part varies wildly. My unironic favourite segments are "A Ride in the Park" from V/H/S 2 and the overarching "Vicious Circles" story from Viral. A lot of people really hate this series, but I honestly think that even the shittiest segments are worth watching for comedy value.

Afflicted. It's pretty good. I'm mentioning mostly because I never see anyone else mention it when the subject comes up. It's a 'realistic' take on vampires, and is solid enough.

Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones. This one and the first one are the only tolerable ones in the series in my opinion. The move away from all the characters being rich white 20-somethings was so fucking refreshing. It was made scarier than the ones that came before it because the setting was more relatable.

Cloverfield. It's not really /x/, and everyone's seen it, but damn if it doesn't evoke visceral terror like almost nothing else.

(As an aside, am I the only one who loved Unfriended's gimmick of having everything take place on computer screens? I hope one day a film can be made in that style that isn't so figuratively and LITERALLY shitty.)
>>
Not found footage but The Way Water Flows is pretty good from what I've heard. Really intense.
>>
File: 1450833664865.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
1450833664865.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
The mcpherson tape.

This is amongst the first found footage films, and its quite dated. All the same when edited snippets were crammed together and released, man that shit looked convincing. I was fairly young, but it was sufficient to get me interested in all this shit all by itself.

Now if only to prove /k/ loves you, heres the entire ultra low budget campy terribad movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBUPqnOlvZk&ab_channel=PoopToobYou
>>
>>17282410
One additional thing about "The Banshee Chapter": why did they abandon the found footage style about halfway through the film? It's extremely hard to follow because for the first half of the movie it's found footage, and then the later half it's not. So theres a point where you think it's found footage but it's not, making the movie hard to follow.

I distinctly remember they were in a hurry to get somewhere, and then left the camera outside the car as they drove away. It made no sense because they were in a hurry and in danger, so why would they bother shooting this ridiculous shot? It's never really explained why they dump the FF style, and it's just very bizarre.

A few other FF movies have done this, and each time it's awful.

>>17282525
>Sinister
I'd argue Sinister was more Insidious than Paranormal activity. It mainly follows a third person POV, with only the movies being in the FF style. I actually really liked it, and I'd recommend it to anyone that likes FF style movies.

And another suggestion is the Poughkeepsie tapes, OP. I personally didn't like it, but it is FF and relatively creepy.
>>
>>17282410
Noroi is the best.
>>
>>17282410
Found footage is complete shit and you have bad taste in films.
>>
>troll hunter hard to find English sub

Nigger do you even have Netflix
>>
File: 1359503269741.jpg (75KB, 680x490px) Image search: [Google]
1359503269741.jpg
75KB, 680x490px
Wow, OP. Just wow.

This is, legitimately, the most disappointed I have been with a thread for the majority of a decade I've been kicking around.

For one, Toll Hunter is literally on Netlix with perfect English subs, so there is that.

As to found footage, why even mention what you did? You missed quite a bit.

For, specifically, in least to most important, I would suggest

The Taking of Deborah Logan

VHS 1-3/Viral

The Poughkeepsie Tapes

Noroi: the Curse

Of them all, cheesy it may be, Noroi changed both my my spiritual life and the way I viewed film. Take a look at it; it won't disappoint. Now watch all of it and make a good thread some time.
>>
>>17282712

This is like the grand daddy of found footage, inadvetently becoming almost genuine feeling found footage because of how dated it is. It's what modern found footage wants to be.
>>
Man bites dog is in this vein
>>
>>17282956
That's quite a critical response in consideration of your own contribution.
What I listed are a few I'd seen recently, and a couple I'd watched pre-Netflix integration.

Currently I just finished Dark Was The Night and it delivered very solidly, even for a step away from Found Footage.

Most of the ones I've seen so far listed have been ones which I have watched.

>>17282903
I wasn't initially sure of whether or not the Journalist was aware of the 'camera man', but then I realized that she, the main character, had some kind of strange immunity to the events going on around her.

The reason for this seeming immunity to everything really spoiled the movie to me, as everyone dies around her, and you have no reason to like or care about her as the protagonist.

It was weak, and the ending didn't do anything for me.

>>17282692
Afflicted is one I got really excited for, thank you for bringing it back up. I'd forgotten the name of it. The Tunnel was also very well done start to finish, and I very much enjoyed it. Would highly recommend.
>>
File: 1324842720044.jpg (805KB, 1500x1228px) Image search: [Google]
1324842720044.jpg
805KB, 1500x1228px
>>17282983
Well, I just reread it, and I kind of retract my critical response, as you responded to it. To be frank, as of the majority of /x/, I'm fairly far gone when it comes to being drunk or substance abuse.

Watch VHS. It's worthwhile as an examination of film, as well as a full feeling of horror. All three movies.

After that, Poughkeepsie Tapes. That's a great found footage fucked-up view.

Then, I would say watch Cropsey. It's not found footage, but it is a relatively slow examination of a legend that fits right in your tastes and comes out beautifully.

After that, watch Killer Legends. It's on Netflix, last I saw. It's basically a continuation of Cropsey, and it's by the same people. It's enthralling and captures the imagination. It's important to realize some /x/ matter is just human madness meddling, so it's both introspective and interesting/fun. Keep a good look out. There shall be plenty more found footage stuff, and some day soon, there will be something that revolutionizes that medium.
>>
See Lake Mungo, if you haven't already.

Moreover, for fans of Noroi, I'd recommend looking into some of the other films in director Koji Shiraishi's canon. Occult and Cult, specifically. Be forewarned that they aren't as good as Noroi, however I still found them enjoyable. He also did one called Shirome, which may still be on Netflix. The weakest of the bunch, but I still liked it. When Koji Shiraishi does found footage/mockumentary stuff, I always check it out.
>>
>>17282983
Seconding The Tunnel. Really liked it
>>
>>17283029
An admonishment of tone shouldn't be taken too personally. It is simply a reminder to extend some courtesy in the interest of a common interest. Two men who dislike one another or meet under the influence of malodorous humours can still hold a civil conversation with the bridge of something they both find interesting.

I just finished watching Afflicted and found it very interesting, especially the after-credits scenes.

I am having difficulty finding Cropsey. I believe it dates around 2011, but the trailers are something of a mess - there's a full documentary on youtube, but I'm not sure if that's the film itself or not.

>>17283192
I'm not certain what to make of Lake Mungo. It's kind of a mish-mash, and the quality left me squinting in case I missed anything. But I'm not sure there was much there in terms of actual substance.

Koji is a master. Everything he weaves is very intricate and full of thought-provoking content. Definitely leaves you thinking after.
>>
>>17283029
Found myself a copy of Cropsey.
Going to check it out on your recommendation.
>>
As Above So Below is a good one
>>
Here are a few of my takes OP

1. Lake Mungo
>people will dismiss this as "hurr durr this is boring crap" but if you're into mockumentaries and sad ghost stories this is the one. It has a creppy vibe throughout the whole film and its also pretty depressing as the family deals with loss and stuff. One really fucked up scene near the end.

2. The Tunnel
>Australian mockumentary. Really great. Had me on the edge of the sit because of the creepy underground scenery and the humanoid is fun.

3. Mr Jones
>The cinematography is great and the scarecrows are creepy as fuck. Many people dislike the ending though. I liked it.

4. As Above So Bellow
>They had a couple of really good scenes and I like the mindfucks.

Otherwise just check this
http://topfoundfootagefilms.com/blog
>>
>>17283254
Yes, the cell phone footage at the end made the whole thing worth it, IMO. Terrifyingly effective.
>>
>>17283029
Cropsey was interesting and raised a lot of questions.
Moving on to Killer Legends.
>>
Troll Hunter was excellent! I feel bad for dismissing it as 'direct-to-video' tier schlock for so long. These aren't found footage, but I've recently seen The Pact, a very effective ghost story from a few years back and Housebound. The latter is a New Zealand horror-comedy about a girl forced to live back at home for probation. Good shit if you like Shaun of the dead.
>>
>>17283386
Housebound was so frustrating to watch. That girl was a complete cunt and I was rooting for hr to die. It got better but I really hated that character.
>>
>>17282410
Watch Haunted Changi. Here's the plot summary: "In January of 2010, a group of local filmmakers began exploring the famously haunted Old Changi Hospital in Singapore with terrifying and tragic results. This movie pieces together the original Haunted Changi film crew's footage to tell the full story."
>>
I remember being entertained by As Above So Below.
>>
>>17282410
cloverfield nigga
>>
>>17283254
the tunnel was disappointing as fuck
they took a great idea and fucked it up towards the middle.
also vhs/Poughkeepsie and other B shit are just trash.
im still waiting for the Saviour of the genre to give me the creeps.
what made paranormal activity so great is that the horror was worth the build up,same thing with rec - with great attention to detail
>>
>>17282410
the pyramid
>>
>>17282872
I don't know how anyone could ever take that seriously when the father is a pretty well known actor. Especially when he's been in things like stargate, exactly the type of shit people like us watch
>>
>>17283367
Good to hear! Like I said, not a full on spookfest, but something a little deeper that sicks with you, glad you enjoyed it.

>>17283254
>>17283622
As Above, So Below was alright, little underrated if slightly cliche. It had pretty good cinematography and was a fun little movie, been meaning to re-watch it.

On another note of "Not quote spookfest," watch Behind the Mask: the Rise of Leslie Vernon. It starts as a mockumentary horror-comedy but shit gets serious pretty quick, it's one of my favorite horror filmes for a couple reasons. Very fun style.
>>
File: 1_18_08_poster1.jpg (35KB, 450x609px) Image search: [Google]
1_18_08_poster1.jpg
35KB, 450x609px
>>17282410
>grasping at straws
>hasn't seen the best

Step it up, fa m.
>>
>>17282692
>Afflicted
is suprisingly good, caught me out of no where, im a major horror fan

Id suggest these also...
The Possession of Michael King
Vatican tapes
Unidentified
Alien Abduction
>>
Lake Mungo
>>
>>17283029
Any reccs for docs like Cropsey (sort of paranormal) I enjoyed it but can't seem to find many more?
>>
>>17283833
this guy knows
>>
>>17282410

Digging up the marrow. Kinda.

It's fucking good.
>>
>Ctrl-F
>No Home Movie
>No Cannibal Holocaust
>No The Bay
>No August Underground
>No S&Man.

C'mon now, cuz.
>>
>>17284272
IMO, The Vatican Tapes was pretty middling. I watched it one night when I couldn't find anything more promising. It turned out better than I expected but it was still pretty meh. I will say that I enjoyed the ending, though. The last few minutes were entertaining.
>>
Gonna have to check out Afflicted. It's on Netflix, isn't it?

>>17285070
Really liked The Bay. It was excellent.
>>
I'm having a hard time deciding just what it is I disliked about As Above So Below. It was a winning concept, it was well-shot, and there were some good scares. Overall, though, I feel like they were going too many directions. Alchemy, Biblical stuff, historical references... it came across as a spooky Indiana Jones sort of thing by the end, for me. It's been a while since I've seen it, and maybe I'll rewatch it, but that's how I remember it anyhow. The premise and setting were great, but they got the vibe all wrong.
>>
File: image.jpg (178KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
178KB, 640x1136px
Anyone see Coherence? Thought it was great and definitely original. Kinda found footage/ alternate reality mind trip
https://youtu.be/ygtoF9h9lcE
>>
File: Schlippstek.jpg (411KB, 1062x1500px) Image search: [Google]
Schlippstek.jpg
411KB, 1062x1500px
Haven't seen anyone mention Frankenstein's Army. Not the best film, but very entertaining, creepy and excellent monster design, though they're a little underused.
Bit cheesy at times with all the chase scenes and bad accents and the whole found footage thing seems a bit forced at times, but still recommend. 7/10 imo.
>not to be confused with Army of Frankenstein
>>
>Legitimately good movies
Lake Mungo
Paranormal Activity 3
Les documents interdits
The Blair Witch Project
Noroi
[REC]
Home Movie
Mr. Jones

>Fun/Interesting
The Fourth Kind
V/H/S
Cannibal Holocaust
Afflicted
Creep
Trollhunter
Ghostwatch
WNUF Halloween Special
The Last Exorcism
Grave Encounters
The Tunnel
[REC]2

>Bad/Mediocre with some cool parts
The Last Broadcast
Alien Abduction (The McPherson Tapes)
The Poughkeepsie Tapes
Keramat
Megan is Missing
The Conspiracy
The September Tapes
Zlo
The Bay
V/H/S 2
Paranormal Activity
Willow Creek
As Above, So Below
Cloverfield
[REC]3: Genesis
Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones
Devil's Pass
Skinwalker Ranch
Apollo 18
The Atticus Institute
August Underground's Penance

If it's not here, you can rest assured it's all shit.
>>
bumpin'
>>
>>17288106
See I thought Paranormal Activity 3 was a heap of garbage, but Megan Is Missing disturbed me right down to my bones. Shows different people are affected by different things.
>>
>>17288106
Your opinion is shit. Where is man bites dog?
Try getting older jail bait.
>>
Atrocious
It's a Spanish film, and there are parts, like in Blair Witch when people are running around outside with night vision on their cameras, and the foliage can make it hard to see, but a pretty great film over all.
>>
This thread still has some gas in it, so I'm bumping. Some good recommendations in here.

>>17289717
>Atrocious
It was OK, but I ended up falling asleep while watching it. There was a little too much wandering in that maze for my tastes.
>>
>>17285070
>No August Underground
because it's fucking shit
>>
Noroi is the only one good legitimate master of the genre for the horror branch (never liked Cannibal Holocaust).

>worth watching
Banshee Chapter (the best here after Noroi desu senpai)
V/H/S (the first one only because it's the most coherent in quality)
The Troll Hunter
Grave Encounters
Afflicted
The Bay
[Rec] (first one only, god it went to shit after this... third one is to avoid at all costs)
The Blair Witch Project (old, but a must watch to see what you can do when you have basically no money)
As above, so below
The Borderlands
The Conspiracy
Lake Mungo
The Poughkeepsie Tapes
Les documents interdits
Making Off
Behind the Mask : The Rise of Leslie Vernon
Cannibal Holocaust
Faces of Death
George A. Romero's Diary of the Dead
District 9
Cloverfield
The Possession of David O'Reilly
Europa Report
The Sacrament (but Vice in there made me fucking cringe)
Evidence
Hollows Grove

Mr. Jones & Bigfoot : The Lost Coast Tapes (not that good, but not totally garbage either, found it interesting)

>absolute garbage, must avoid at all costs
Paranormal Activity series
August Underground series
Snuff 102
The Tunnel
Evidence
Apollo 18
Alien Abduction
The Dyatlov Pass Incident
Chernobyl Diaries
Amber Alert (worst loss of time ever)
Apocalyptic
The Possession of Michael King
Willow Creek

Non horror, Man bites Dog is the best, Chronicle is enjoyable, Punishment Park is still interesting, although you have to deal with the leftist hippie propaganda
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.