[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Street Lights turning on and off when i'm near them?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 5

File: 4167512864.jpg (20KB, 350x246px) Image search: [Google]
4167512864.jpg
20KB, 350x246px
Hey /x/,

I'm not really one to post on here, I more or less lurk and watch threads as they unfold and stuff..

Now, starting this thread wasn't just out of boredom, i'm coming here hoping that maybe someone has answers. I'm not really a superstitious guy, but I do believe in things existing that cannot yet be explained.

And that's why i'm here.

For the past few years (maybe 2-3) I've noticed something weird happening with my surroundings. Mainly just one thing really.

When i'm out walking on the street (either alone or with a friend) at least one random street light will go out or turn on when i get within 20-30 feet of it. It's actually become kind of a joke among my friends. "Oh anon, stop being a fuckin' xmen mutant" and all that shit.

but it actually happens so often that it's really got me in a mix of annoyance/curiosity.

Does anyone have any possible answers as to what could be causing this? It happens too often to be a coincidence.
>>
Any reflectors on your clothing? Does this happen anywhere or only in certain areas?

More details in general, please.
>>
>>17276777
I don't really wear reflectors while i'm out and it seems to happen to random streetlights.

For instance, I was riding my bike down a street just a bit ago (prompted me to make this thread) and I noticed one light was out. I got within the usual distance and it suddenly came on really bright.

It's not just them turning on, but turning off as well. back on Halloween night, me and a co-worker were walking to the mall (we live kinda close to eachother) and when we were crossing the street the street light on the other side went out.

If there are any other details you need, i can provide them.
>>
>>17276771
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium-vapor_lamp#End_of_life

Finish your homework
>>
>>17276802
see, that would make sense, but this happens in areas that have literally just been finished being developed. Brand new, not even 2 year old residential areas.
>>
>>17276771
Hi Sam A.
>>
>>17276812
Do you get this reaction with anything else? For instance, longer or shorter cell phone life, TV flickering, computer anomalies, or other electricl anomalies?
>>
File: 1452486541584.png (405KB, 715x715px) Image search: [Google]
1452486541584.png
405KB, 715x715px
>>17276771
Ive seen this thread posted before

Nearly word for word, did you post this before?

I remember someone found out it was because street lights actually go out all the time and people don't notice it so it seems strange
>>
>>17276857
My cell phone has died at random low points (we're talking 20-15% battery left) but I'm pretty sure that's just because it's an iphone 4s and it's old.

The computers at work are always having problems, whether it be the internet dying or just the system doing dumb stuff, but again, this can be attributed to the fact that we run an old version of this program called "profitmaster" that runs on fuckin' DOS. like, blue screen, white text. that's it. So yeah, it's old.

I'm nothing special at computers, but when i tinker with things, they seem to work. I just have dumb computer luck I suppose so my manager gets me to help our official tech guy out with stuff.

I know i'm stretching this a bit, but I do notice I build up static like crazy. Again, probably just a coincidence.

I want to stress that i'm not really trying to come off like some superpowered fuck, i'm just kinda curious
>>
>>17276851
who?
>>
>>17276883
Nope. This is honestly my first time posting on /x/.

I've really only lurked on here from time to time.
>>
>>17276898
my friend has exactly the same experiences as OP, and the writing seemed familiar

I'd be happy to share what we've found so far about the phenomenon if you'd like
>>
>>17276961
Sure, if you don't mind.
>>
>>17276771
I get alot of phantom vibrations on my phone like when you think you get a text message but dont. but my phantom vibrations are like literally full on vibrations that i can blatantly feel..... shits freaked me out walking home of a night from the pub drunk a couple times before
>>
>>17276973
Actually, Another thing i noticed is that my silence toggle seems to flicker on and off randomly, but i just figured it was because it's an old phone.
>>
>>17276979
Streetlamps die sometimes, and my old Crapple iPhone sucks.
Very spoopy!
>>
>>17276771
It's a sign from God. You're blessed
>>
>>17276883
This. It's been posted before and yes street lights just go out all the time. I see it everywhere. So unless me and tons of other people got the same mutation as you I think it's just the lights.
>>
>>17276963
So, usually it happens with older, orange streetlights, which would be expected. Usually they just turn off, but sometimes they actually explode or burst. Now that I think about it, he's never had any lights turn on for him (I have, but it's not unusual).
One interesting thing to note is that a lot of these threads contain people claiming that "aura" can cause lights to shut off and other stuff like what we're talking about. He and I don't believe in any of that stuff, but on four separate occasions complete strangers have come up to him and remarked on the uniqueness of his aura, and our friend (on the autism spectrum, idk if that means anything to this crowd) told him it as well before she heard about the trend.
Every time someone's said anything about it, they describe it exactly the same way: a silver bonfire.
>>
>>17277003
Now, if I were to believe in this stuff, I'd be very surprised if his aura WASN'T special. Sam's an extremely charismatic and intelligent person and always tends to be the center of any conversation. His mother is the same way.
>>
eletrokenisis no I'm not going to prove it /thread
>>
>>17277014
As it is, I truly believe that that streetlight effect is coincidence. We have the joke that it happens often, so when it occurs we take great note of it.
>>
>>17277003
Well, I don't know if I really believe in that sorta thing. I do like the idea of some things that border on fringe science, but I'm very much a firm believer in what's already proven and scientifically sound. That doesn't mean I'm one to go and tell people that they're full of shit for believing in it, but I just haven't seen enough to believe it myself.

So for now, It's a coincidence unless someone has a sound explanation.

The "old bulb" theory makes no sense. Alot of these street lights are brand new.
>>
>>17277018
Sorry that I don't have more stories or info, but its pretty normal when it happens. If you want to find out for sure, get your friends to record the hours they spend walking at night, the number of streetlights they pass, and the number of lights that did anything when they walked by them. You do the same for yourself, and after a month compare the PERCENTAGES you come up with. If your results are still freaky, then tell /x/ about it.
>>
>>17277029
There is one other more scientific explanation I've kinda thought up. It might be that some people are naturally better at charging static electricity because of stance, body composition, prefered clothing, shoes, etc. Maybe the light sensors on streetlights can pick this up and react to it. Idk, the only sensible thing I've thought of and the only explanation besides silver bonfire aura that I've heard.
>>
>>17276883
I remember it too, but it was like around 2012. I remember it was back when all the Mayan shit was going on.
>>
>>17276771
I had a weird run in ?2000-02? Cant remember it was a long time ago. Would come home from work each day and blow 2 or 3 of 6 halogen downlights. Always random. Each pair was on its own switch. 3 switches in all. I usually left them on as i was working nights. After i broke up with my cunt of a gf, it stopped. Thank fuck for that. She was a bitch. And halogens were fucking expensive.
>>
>>17276771
Haven't had this particular experience with street lights. But when I go to the supermarket the fucking doors open when I go near them, they close after I walk through. Nobody is standing nearby operating any kind of controls either.
>>
>>17276785
this exact thing happened to me except the light is off and it always turns on (i was on a bike an everything)
>>
>>17276771
okay I've had this ability with my dad for years. I think its because we live next to power lines.

Like a month ago I was thinking about it again when I was waiting for him to pick me up, I transferred light between two light bulbs, I was on study drugs so that may have affected my control.

I've run out, and I haven't been able to turn anything off, but my streetblock is still dark, literally no lights around my area right now.
>>
>>17277341
you guys remembered me, ah to be in grade 12 again.
>>
File: ufo1.jpg (11KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
ufo1.jpg
11KB, 600x600px
This again?

When Sodium lights get old they overheat and then they start cycling, on for a while, off for a while, over and over again. You don't notice anything odd about a light that is on. You don't notice ones that turn off when you're not there. But if one cycles off while you're near, surprise!, you notice that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium-vapor_lamp#End_of_life

You are not a special snowflake, you do not have magic powers, it isn't a message. It's how the lights are built.
>>
>>17279697
Do LEDs go through a similar thing?

Genuinely curious.
>>
>>17276771
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intelligent_street_lighting
>>
File: pingu.gif (80KB, 350x263px) Image search: [Google]
pingu.gif
80KB, 350x263px
>>17276771
this shit happens to me and it pisses me off. i thought it was my car brights but it happens to me when im on foot too
>>
>>17276771
You're a SLIder OP:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Street_light_interference_phenomenon

I have this along with seeing repeat numbers, it's probably all just confirmation bias.
>>
>>17279697
This..

This must sound weird now, but this used to happen to me aswell, when I was younger. I thought it was kinda spooky back then. It really fucked me up that while walking or driving around with my car, the streetlights would sometimes go out one at a time when I passed them for as long as a road would go. Especially when walking alone it would rustle dem js hard.

Months went by with the phenomena reoccuring when walking the same roads, untill I realized, that the streetlights would eventually go out by themselves without anyone passing them. It seems like they shut down for several seconds for whatever reason...but at least the spooks stopped for me.

Think its just a coincidence
>>
>>17280089
>I have this along with seeing repeat numbers

kek this used to happen to me all the fucking time

one time i thought i was gay and i kept seeing 69 everywhere but you are right its just confirmation bias
>>
>>17276771
>I'm not really one to post on here, I more or less lurk and watch threads as they unfold and stuff..
If only you'd had the sense to stick with this trend. Thanks for shitting /x/ up with another idiotic "I feel life is weirdz" thread, jackass.
>>
File: IJ6zvTw.jpg (109KB, 1224x1632px) Image search: [Google]
IJ6zvTw.jpg
109KB, 1224x1632px
PEOPLE: If ALL of you report witnessing this same thing, guess what then it's not unusual.

Streetlights cycle on and off, if you're not there you don't notice it. If you are there you do. It is not magical in the least.
>>
>>17276771
Exact same thing used to happen to me when I was in college but not anymore. Friends would also joke about it. I used to think that it was my aura, does your aura change when you get older?
>>
>>17276892
fucking a i feel old when people say iphone 4's are old
>>
This happens to me a lot too. Every street at least one light will change as I get next to it. The lights would have to cycle pretty often to just be coincidence. Also light bulbs burn out in a week or less around me, lamps, flashlights, refrigerator. I have bad luck with printers too, but I'm pretty sure that's just because printers are assholes.
>>
>>17276892
Same happens to my old 4s occasionally as well, I think it's just the battery that's getting old. Happens a lot more often when it's cold outside.
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.