[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What would H.P Lovecraft thought of the better creepypastas

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 6

File: hp.jpg (72KB, 510x649px) Image search: [Google]
hp.jpg
72KB, 510x649px
>>
>>17224403
Well, he probably would of hung himself. the style of writing most people have today compared to his are that of a child in comparison. he created wonderfull works of art, while today, people write lines in the mud and people think them to be brilliant. that's a level of insanity not even Cthulhu could bestow
>>
>>17224456
you come off kind of wrong generation-y but truly I've never read a good creepypasta

the ones based around pop culture are just laughable, the ones independent of that just come off as 17 year olds trying really hard to be unsettling without any grasp of how to create that atmosphere
>>
>>17224403
Most shitpastas are written the same way Dagon was written so I think he'd try improving it.
>>
File: cancer.jpg (71KB, 470x470px) Image search: [Google]
cancer.jpg
71KB, 470x470px
>>17224456
Jesus christ. Get over yourself.
Of course a published author is going to sound better than the average person posting content online. That doesn't mean people now are less educated or talented than they were 100 years ago. I used to transcribe letters and manuscripts from the Korean War (as a personal project for my boss), and the grammar in most of the stuff I read was atrocious. The English language is not deteriorating with time; you just see all the best writing from previous eras, because that's what people preserve.
I wish there was more high-quality pasta, too, but since this is a subculture where anyone can contribute, it's natural that the Creepypasta Wiki is gonna have lower standards than Penguin Publishing.
Personally, I'd like to think Lovecraft would be excited about so many people making horror writing their hobby. There's certainly a lot of crap, but there are also plenty of amazing and terrifying stories that may have never been shared otherwise.
>>
OP I barely found out about lovecraft after watching one of the episodes of supernatural. Kinda strange I ran into this thread after watching that episode today
>>
>>17224403

I think he'd read one and then either laugh or cry, and then probably never read any of them ever again afterwards. I do think he'd make sure to get their email addresses and write them some scathing letters though because they're so fucking retarded.
>>
>>17224456
>he wrote works of art
>i went to a spooky place then i saw UNIMAGINABLE HORRORS THAT ARE IMPOSSIBLE FOR THE HUMAN MIND TO COMPREHEND THEN I WENT CRAZY AND A SKELETON JUMPED OUT
lovecraft a shit
>>
File: U focking wot.gif (503KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
U focking wot.gif
503KB, 400x400px
>>17224669
>Implying he wouldn't like Dogscape
>>
>>17224678
Some of his stories are good, but the exact structure you just described is annoyingly common in his work.
I think it's funny that he's treated like the god of horror when a lot of his stuff would be considered mediocre if it was posted on /x/ (in modern vernacular) today.
>>
>>17224690
>I think it's funny that he's treated like the god of horror when a lot of his stuff would be considered mediocre if it was posted on /x/ (in modern vernacular) today.

The same could be said for any work or product. Reputation always comes first.
>>
>>17224403
Lovecraft was actually very involved with fans and encouraged writing even giving free reign for people to use anything from his stories.

I'm gonna go against some of the naysayers here and say as long as someone was trying to write something spooky he'd encourage it.
>>
Lovecraft cared way more for structure as a means of conveying a 'weird feeling' than actual content. Read his 'Notes on Writing Weird Fiction' you Jews
>>
Lovecraft's reaction to creepypasta
>"Wait, you mean to tell me that some of these were written by niggers? FUCK this shit."
>>
>>17226598
I'd think he'd like many of the basic plots but tell the authors they need to work on their writing skills. And I think he'd be offended by how vulgar a lot of it is, but that's just a generational thing.

>>17224628
Lovecraft died just before WWII. You're talking about a completely different generation.

Yeah, there are country bumpkins in every generation who read at a fifth grade level because that's how much they absolutely need. And there are also highly literate people, among whom you'd find the published authors. But look at Civil War letters home, they're quite literate. Why? Because if you could read, if became one of your major forms of entertainment, so your skills were strong. That dropped off some with the introduction of radio, more with the introduction of television, and significantly in this age of cellphones and autocorrect.

It's not, and never had been, a matter of formal education. It's simple practice. If your pleasure reading happens on imageboards instead of within classic novels, your grammar will be less disciplined and your vocabulary will be smaller. That doesn't mean this current generation is dumber, but they are less articulate.

>>17226831
Repeating the "Lovecraft was a racist" meme suggests you don't know anything more about him than that.

>>17224678
You're entitled to your opinion, but coming into this thread to share it is trolling. That kind of behavior isn't appropriate on this board. I doubt that'll stop you from trying, but you're not going to find the kind of response you're looking for.
>>
>>17226983
S.T. Joshi, is that you?
>>
He would cringe.

Like i do.
>>
>>17226983
>Repeating the "Lovecraft was a racist" meme suggests you don't know anything more about him than that.

Bullshit. I've read most of his stories and have been a fan for years now. Just because I adore the man's work doesn't mean I'm going to ignore the fact that he was a bigot. I'm not even trying to be a SJW here or anything like that, but let's call a spade a spade, homey. HPL was definitely racist. My post >>17226831 was meant as a joke.
>>
He'd likely only like the weird ones no one shares much like mereana mordegard glesgorv.
>>
Who cares if he was a racist or not? A lot of people were, and still are. Just because the media and everything tries to push togetherness or whatever they're doing doesn't mean the majority of people don't still harbour racist or at least "bigoted" feelings towards different people.

Hell, blacks are the most racist of all, so who cares?

Every time I read The Rats in the Walls I laugh at "Nigger-man."
>>
>>17227063
I didn't say he wasn't a racist or a bigot (although xenophobe is more accurate). First off, his level of racism / bigotry was not unusual for his environment (remember, he's from the generation that gave us Hitler) so characterizing him based on his views in that area is an anachronism. But more importantly, reducing him to that one aspect of his personality is an act of caricature that disposes of the complexity of the man and his work. And the danger of oversimplification is that it ends up with throwing the baby out with the bathwater. It's all wet, it all goes.

The people who promulgate that caricature are doing it specifically for that purpose. They're greatly offended by stories like Medusa's Coil, so they want the entire author discarded. And, granted, tainted heredity is a major theme in Lovecraft's work. But it's one thing to dislike a thing and another to campaign for it to be abolished. Now, you didn't explicitly make that argument, but you did repeat a meme that's connected with it.

As for it being a joke, this is the internet. We can't tell if you're kidding or not, and I'm inclined to think it doesn't matter. You're lowering the level of discussion either way.
>>
>>17227291
>anything-phobe
so you're a psychologist now?
>>
>>17224628
>Personally, I'd like to think Lovecraft would be excited about so many people making horror writing their hobby.

I think if he was alive today he would be stoked about shit like Hellraiser, The Thing, Event Horizon, Silent Hill, Junji Ito's works, The Shining, Bloodborne etc. Cosmic horror is an amzaing genre.
>>
He would called us a bunch of shitty tryhards
>>
>>17224456
For his time, his prose was shit as he used words like eldrich and such obnoxiously.

Still compared to the early 1900s we are all illiterate.
>>
>>17228308
Phobias are in the realm of psychiatry, not psychology.
>>
File: 1448582460706.gif (2MB, 196x300px) Image search: [Google]
1448582460706.gif
2MB, 196x300px
>>17226983
>That kind of behavior isn't appropriate on this board

Fuck your autistic ass with a frozen turd, family.

Lovecraft would have probably liked some of the better written ones, he was a fan of other people's stories much more than his own.
>>
Lovecraf would have loved /pol/
>>
>>17227291
>You're lowering the level of discussion either way.
>Level of discussion
>4chan

this nigga
>>
Absolute SHIT.

/thread
>>
File: o6rd9m[1].jpg (32KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
o6rd9m[1].jpg
32KB, 512x512px
>>17224678
>>
>>17224690
it's not really about the structure of the stories per se, it's more about the atmosphere and the idea of primal horror his texts convey
>>
>>17230950
If you read his later works, you would know that isnt true.
>>
Lovecraft was to his style of horror what the first surfers were to modern surfers.

It was impressive at the time for them to be able merely maintain their balance on the board while standing.
Same thing with Hendrix. He's a sloppy guitarist now and would get his shit beat in by nearly anyone but he codified it back then.

it's understandable to say Lovecraft was shit. Most of the best works related to Lovecraft were merely inspired by his stuff and not actually his works, but back then he was a pretty cool cat and got all the babes.
>>
>>17231477

>Lovecraft was shit

Compared to the hack master of garbage Stephen King? Fuck off. Lovecraft is superior for not only basically creating a new genre of horror but expanding on it and having exceptional prose.
>>
>>17231477

Hendrix is not a bad or mediocre guitarist by modern standards. He doesn't go through scales as fast as some metal guitarists, but that doesn't mean a damn thing. He certainly showed more creativity than 90% of the speed metal guys out there. He had incredible improvisation and took a strange, more avant garde approach to music. That's what makes him great. He knew his instrument and his style of music better than anyone else, and I have yet to hear anyone who takes advantage of the strange while still maintaining heavy blues and rock 'n roll roots at the same level as Hendrix. What you consider "sloppy" is simply a categorical error.
Lovecraft, likewise, took a more avant garde approach to writing. The point wasn't to build a scene or have someone empathize with the characters, or be surprised at the plot (or even pay attention to the plot). His writing was a celebration of the gothic horror style and was centered around generating emotions moreso than an interesting story. So, again, those who would categorize him as anything other than amazing are simply performing a categorical error due to their fundamental misunderstanding of what he was trying to accomplish.
>>
>>17224628
No, YOU fuck off and get over yourselves. It's been proven already that all of you are worse at things than you think you are and you are worse at things than the previous generation.

You're all a bunch of egocentric cuntstains. It's been proven. H.P. Lovecraft wouldn't wipe his ass with the garbage that gets put on here.
>>
>2016
>still talking about Lovecraft

yes, yes, ok he was a very good author and wrote masterpieces, I get it and I agree. Now could you guys please suggest modern horror authors that are at least entertaining?
>>
>>17231477
While I enjoy Lovecrafts stories, I wouldn't even grant him that he invented what is seen today as Lovecraftian horror. He used many elements that were extremely popular at his time in the pulp magazines. He was probably more literate than the other authors there, but less able to create a good plot. His concepts were his strongest points.
That's why I would agree with you: The best Lovecraftian horror wasn't wrote by Lovecraft but by people who were inspired by him.
Derleth for example. True, he robbed the mythos of what made it unique - the utter hopelessness - but he was the stronger writer

I think I have read most of Lovecraft's works that have been published, including poems by now and I think it's enough. Maybe you get too much of horror styled after his work today, so I got fed up.

I'd suggest trying Gustav Meyrink.
>>
>>17232953
> modern
> entertaining
Nope.
>>
>>17232953
I think there are no modern authors that know how to do horror well. Ok, one could argue that neither did Lovecraft, but that's a different discussion.
I find myself not enjoying modern horror for some reason, probably because it tends to be very crude. But there is a ton of earlier horror that surpasses Lovecraft in many ways. Blackwood or simply Poe for example.
>>
>>17231470
He never really changed. What works are you refering to?
>>
>>17224456
>would of
Stopped reading
>>
>>17232953

Howard Phillips Lovecraft.
>>
File: 1321391636716_f.jpg (63KB, 375x500px) Image search: [Google]
1321391636716_f.jpg
63KB, 375x500px
Actually, he is alive.

ask him
>>
>>17233201
Nothing like Lovecraft. Sorry.
>>
Well I mean, compare Squidward's Suicide to Nyarlathotep.. I think he'd be a bit disappointed to say the least. Saying that I'd pay if someone could find a way to ressurrect him and make him watch Human Centipede or something.
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.