[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Babadook vs. It Follows Which one did you think was better

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 9

File: BABALLOWS.jpg (798KB, 1260x970px) Image search: [Google]
BABALLOWS.jpg
798KB, 1260x970px
The Babadook vs. It Follows

Which one did you think was better and why. Personally I think that while It Follows is definitely more original (and for some people originality always wins), I think Babadook was a better movie as a whole.
>>
>>17170976
Describe both movies to me.
>>
Babadook didn't interest me in the slightest. It was boring. It Follows felt genuine. It relied on anxiety and not spooky darkness. It creeped you out because it was the inevitable fear of it's going to catch up.

I'd rather see him on the roof just staring blankly than a being coming out of the dark. One screams original, the other screams, we're doing it again.

It Follows did have a stupid fucking scene and that was the pool scene. Who the FUCK thought that was a good idea?
>>
>>17171009
>babadook
>awesome, uncomfortable first half and shit, generic, loud "le mindfuck XD" second half

>it follows
>tense, unique, creepy from start to finish except for maybe a few silly scenes

I'd give babadook a 4/10 and it follows an 8/10. it's amazing to me that people liked babadook after that terrible LOUD NOISES AND SCREAMING ending.
>>
Krampus is overlooked everywhere even though it's the best horror movie to come out this year
>>
The Babadook was a nice story, even got a bit chilling, but It Follows wins the bout for me due to its sheer ability to unnerve. The soundtrack was also excellent.
>>
I saw them both once and I'll never watch them again. The hype was too much for them and I was very let down.
>>
>>17171126
Fucking nailed it.
>>
>>17170976
The babadook was shit. Literally just

>My kid has autism and I as a parent resent him for it
>Slowly loses her mind out of stress
>I was the babadook all along xd
>>
To me it would seem The Babadook is an examination of post traumatic stress disorder. In short mental illness, brought on by severe trauma. That it was released in Australia during Australia's official "Year for Mental Health", in no small way, attributes to its subject matter. I think the producers wanted to make a straight drama about trauma but probably felt pressured to contemporise the subject matter into something more marketable, and therefore, profitable. When I watched the film I got a very keen sense of the mental health issues it was trying to get through.
>>
Your opinion doesnt fucking matter, some shit cunt made money either way
>>
While the consensus is clear at this point:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERHROKPFPbE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLq0QWRaq44

Personally I watched Babdook with a friend to laugh at it. It was bad.
I also didn't really like It Follows, as it was kind of slow, but it was an interesting premise at least.
>>
File: 1397623502311.jpg (31KB, 502x480px) Image search: [Google]
1397623502311.jpg
31KB, 502x480px
>>17171199
>>17171229
Critique using handy words like "shit"
>>
>>17170976
Both were Meh.

both had an interesting premise,
Babadook had really unlikeable characters,

It follows was pretty solidly boring, the only good gimmick was the "you can't see it" thing,

Otherwise who's the thing? well duh, it's the slow, non-main characters.

The ending to babadook was cute, I like that it never goes away.

It follows felt like a LOW budget movie.
>>
>>17170976
I think the Babadook could've been better if they never gave the monster a face. The best horror monsters are ones where you can never totally comprehend their form. If the Babadook was always slightly obscured that would have been better. Also if the symbolism of the Babadook wasn't so obvious.
>>
File: The true god.jpg (24KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
The true god.jpg
24KB, 320x320px
It really just depends on how you compare the two movies. If you compare them in the sense of which one is inherently scarier, then babadook would most likely win.

Considering that it follows was meant to be more of a throwback movie to classic horror movies like The thing, with its own special taste on it. Which means that it was full of cliques doing such, which could be a downfall because that means at times it was predictable instead of scary

Now with the Babadook it has a completely different atmosphere. That of something that is like a suspense film seeing this woman lose her sanity though out the movie only for it to have a monster (Babadook) to be that of a Red Herring where it makes the things she does understandable because she was being controlled by this monster, but in my opinion the babadook was just figment of her imagination, and was an excuse of sorts to do these reprehensible things with the belief that it was this monster, and not her.

Ultimately though, its just personal preference between the two
>Btw I preferred it follows because it felt alot like The Thing which is my favorite movie
>>
File: beetlemoney.jpg (109KB, 600x527px) Image search: [Google]
beetlemoney.jpg
109KB, 600x527px
I should also say that I thought both movies were horribly overhyped. Film critics now LOVE the standard "This is the best/scariest horror film of the last 40 years!!!!1111"

Also, It Follows has a very original premise, but some people are acting like that's all you need for your movie to be superior.
>>
It follows has a better soundtrack than it deserved
>>
>>17170976
Haven't seen the babadook but It follows was trash 2bh.
>muh hamfisted std metaphor
>>
>>17170976
I liked It Follows (even if it fell flat) but thought The Babadook was an pretty much an abortion so. It Follows wins.
>>
they're both awful, it follows even more so
>>
File: drive.jpg (118KB, 570x881px) Image search: [Google]
drive.jpg
118KB, 570x881px
>>17172485

Damn right. Reminded me of the soundtrack to Drive in all its glorious hipsterness. Nothing wrong with that though.
>>
>>17170976
Babadook was fucking unwatchabley slow and boring.
>>
>>17170976
>infuriating shrieking autist vs hot girl running around
ERM
>>
>>17171142
Sooooooo much this
>>
Babadook - kid won't shut the fuck up, not enough emphasis on lame monster, ending sucks

It Follows - stupid ass AIDS allegory, almost creepy but just does not manage to deliver, not memorable at all

both suck, find a better movie
>>
>>17173719
Im pretty sure It Follows took inspiration from Drive. (which is my favorite movie)
>>
>>17173827

I think both movies were directed in the same "indy" style, and both turn out well
>>
>>17171246
I thought it was good because i laughed at it. Scariest scene in the movie was the babadooks form after he takes off his silly disguise in the storybook. Fucking blue balled by that lame ass pov shit.
>>
>>17171494
You don't see the babadooks face you nigger you just see the mask. That's why the ending is POV
>>
>>17170976
The Babadook literally made me stop watching horror movies.
>>
The Last Shift was pretty fucking good. I only bring it up because I watched it and It Follows the other night and wasn't too impressed with It Follows.
>>
>>17174367
It was fantastic, the last like minute of the movie killed it for me though.
I didn't like It Follows, there's a difference between slow burning and just boring. It Follows was the latter.
>>
it boggles my mind that media is literally always being produced and yet almost none of it is good, successful or even effective.
>>
just got finished watching the babadook and it was fucking garbage
>>
>>17171199
>>17174670

The reviews I read didn't seem promising, so many of them were people saying the kid was so annoying that they hated him more than they were actually afraid of anything. But that makes me curious. Just how annoying is he? In this way even bad movies can trick me into watching them.
>>
The Babadook is a good horror concept but it was 30 minutes worth of content stretched over two hours. It follows was great except for the pool scene.
>>
>>17176301

Those two prople said the Babadook was "shit" and "fucking garbage". Thatd your typical millenial film critique right there.
Really? Shit? Fucking garbage? Not even "it was bad" or "I didnt like it".
I would really love to see those two anons post their own personal ranking if horror movies. If they think the Babadook was "shit" and "fucking garbage", what would they put at #1???

As I said, millennials... Dont let anything you read keep you from watching any movie.
>>
It Follows? Original?

What is Casting the Runes?
>>
Babadook was the dumbest shit ever, didn't scare me in the slightest and I am easily scared...
>>
Babadook is absolutely garbage tier and anyone in good mental health outside Australia can confirm it
>>
Anyone genuinely spooped by Babadok? I know that the story revolve around grieve and fear of losing your loved one but the execution is just meh
>>
>>17171262
That wasn't a critique you handy little shit.
>>
>>17180105

"Horror movies don't exist" goes the saying, and it's true. I think it's just a genre, and it comes down to how clever, original, well-acted and well-made they are.
>>
>>17176301
I just watched it, and I agree that the kid was awful. But I came around to him by the end of the movie. It had, like, two jump scares, but the real horror of the movie is how hard this lady's life has spiraled out of control. The babadook at least had a nice visual thing going on. I don't regret watching it at least.
>>
>>17180110
You said it, pleb
>>
You people really need to watch Berberian Sound Studio. Best horror movie in years.
>>
File: ab.jpg (13KB, 240x320px) Image search: [Google]
ab.jpg
13KB, 240x320px
the babadook sucked donkey schlong
>>
Idk about It Follows but

The Babadook is pure garbage. Awful fucking movie. Biggest waste of time I spent in 2015.
>>
>>17178947
>Dont let anything you read keep you from watching any movie.
This.

Unless literally everyone says a movie is shit or just fucking garbage. Then you just skip it.
>>
If we're just rating it by which movie got their point across better I'd say Babadook was the better movie simply because it followed the stages of grief so well and wasn't blatantly shoving its meaning down your throat.

It Follows wasn't a bad movie and it did get it's point across but all I got out of it when I was watching it was "Wow that kid /really/ wants to dick that chick"
>>
I liked It Follows for the most part because the characters actually acted in a logical manner. They did probably the best things one could do in that situation, unlike almost every other horror movie. The Babadook was just another horror movie, not bad not great.
>>
>>17170976
The babadoook was great, a good watch and a better film i would say.

It Follows, however, was good too and people often miss the underlying meaning. The film is about either shame, sin or (the least fun answer) an std. The ghost is passed through sex and as the film goes on every sexual encounter becomes more lackluster and degrading for the couple. Interesting premise, good watch but ive got to say babadook is the best
>>
>>17170976
I want a pet Babadook. Seem kind've cute :3
>>
>>17171142
I think it disinterested viewers due to it being a pg-13 horror movie. I should watch it to see what it actually was.
>>
it follows was goofy but a solid movie. i enjoyed the atmosphere and music the most.

i really liked how the babadook dealt with grief, ptsd, etc. it wasnt necessarily scary, but if you look at it for the metaphor it's great.
>>
I can't believe that you guys liking It Follows isn't just a meme.

I mean holy fuck the plot is stupid as shit. Like literally an autistic child could make up better stories.
>>
>>17184278
Then why don't you?
>>
File: such-hate.jpg (101KB, 807x449px) Image search: [Google]
such-hate.jpg
101KB, 807x449px
>>17178947

Oh I'm referring to these reviews. But yeah that's what they're more or less saying.

>>17180964

Thanks! Maybe I will give it a shot tonight.
>>
File: 1448855697104.gif (2MB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
1448855697104.gif
2MB, 500x281px
haven't seen it follows but the babadook was pretty dumb

>beginning pretty atmospheric and creepy
>the art style in the book is great and really creepy
>think "it looks like creepy monkey demon"
>the mom starts seeing the 'babadook', its literally just some middle-aged dude in a hat
>twist spoiler/mama IS THE BABADOOK!!spoiler/
>no wait nvm babadook is actually real and now hes our pet lol
>>
Watching it right now and this kid really is the devil.
>>
>>17171220
Yes. This is why I could not take it seriously.

It's a good story but I think they focused too much on her mental state which really gave it away.

My dad liked it. But he likes mindless movies and takes everything at face value so...
>>
>>17170976
I adore the direction of both. I'm hoping to make films some day and the style of It Follows is especially attractive to me.
>>
>>17170976
Both are pretty good. I think both get better when you add a theme to them. Babadook is grief, and It follows is sexual assault.
>>
>>17184897
shut up mark, babadook sucked get over it
>>
>>17184862

This is the most metal popup book ever. Pretty masterfully created.
>>
>>17184904
>I'm hoping to make films some day and the style of It Follows is especially attractive to me

So the style of Halloween?
>>
Babadook was cool, I think the kid and mother were very unique characters who made you feel what they were feeling. The ending sucked though and it was really boring.

It Follows felt like some campy anti sex propaganda, I have no idea why it got so popular. It felt fake deep and the ending was the worst.

Babadook was better I'd say, but I wish it stuck to portraying mental illness instead of going down the path it did with the babadook being "real".
>>
It Follows had an interesting premise but sadly it was poorly executed.

It's just okay.
>>
>>17184998
I guess so.
>>
>>17185010
Well It Follows certainly takes a lot of notes from the original Halloween. The soundtrack, the camera movements, and even the complete lack of adult characters are a homage to Halloween.
>>
>>17185000

Nice trips.

I'm really liking these parts where she hides under the covers. An adult hiding under the covers is crazy. Surely once you grow up you realize it's the worst thing to do and only increases anxiety but it makes for great tension in a horror movie.
>>
>>17185023
That's interesting. I'm now thinking of what type of stories could benefit from that.
>>
>>17185000
I also want to add that a lot of people complained that the kid was too annoying but I think that was the point. The movie wanted you to feel the same stress the mother is feeling so wanting to slap the kid means the movie did well. The kid made me sad because he really truly loves his mother and is worried about her, but again he's so annoying!

When he pushed that girl out of the treehouse I thought that little bitch deserved it. She was saying horrible things to that poor kid and completely crossed the line. The kid needs some help and behavioral training, the mother needs intense therapy and medication.
>>
File: 218060_064.jpg (43KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
218060_064.jpg
43KB, 320x240px
I love how motherly and tired the actress looked.
>>
>>17185049

It all goes downhill once Samuel interrupts her and her viber sesh.
>>
>>17185000

Well, I think the point they're trying to get across is not that the monster lives with them as a pet in the basement, but rather that "you can't get rid of the Babadook", as the book says, because it represents your own personal grief and that always will be a part of you.
Thread posts: 77
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.