[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

CRYPTOZOOLOGY GENERAL

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 189
Thread images: 45

Thoughts? Favorite cryptids? Likelihood that any exist and the government and/or MSM are keeping the information buried? General discussion of cryptids.

pic related - one of the most /x/ of all cryptids, the Jersey Devil
>>
File: 1412782443568.jpg (51KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1412782443568.jpg
51KB, 500x375px
>cryptids
>>
>>15325247
self bump

small victory for cryptozoologists. the living coelacanth.

is it possible that some form of Megaladon still exits? honestly, fuck that discovery channel nonsense. making a mockery of something that is already hard enough to get funded.
>>
File: loveland_frog.jpg (8KB, 150x175px) Image search: [Google]
loveland_frog.jpg
8KB, 150x175px
Contributin

Loveland Frogs

The first sighting was of strange creatures seen under a bridge, and the witness sounded as if he could not decide whether he had seen fairy-tale trolls, reptoids or things that were half human, half frog. Later sightings were less confused, but still contained inconsistencies. Witnesses claimed that what they had seen was certainly frog-like, but they disagreed on the details. Some reported human-sized frogmen, some reported tiny frog-sized frogmen, and some reported just plain giant frogs with no noticable human features. This may sound like a really stupid legend, but there was enough evidence, including tracks, that both the police and the FBI investigated.
>>
I believe bigfoot lives on a different wavelength. It phases in and out of human world. Plus they live in the forests and their are many of them. They live in communities and families. Its a very sophisticated hierarchy.
>>
File: Axhandle_hound.jpg (22KB, 421x234px) Image search: [Google]
Axhandle_hound.jpg
22KB, 421x234px
Axhandle hound. When lumberjacks left their busted axes around, during the night, they'd turn into axhandle hounds and eat any other dropped, busted axes.
>>
American Hyena

In the Great Plains of the American West, from at least Montana to Nebraska, there have been reports of an animal that seems to be a hyena. With a sloping back and hyena-like features, this beast was known to the Ioway Indians as the shunka warakin. Similar creatures, with different names, were reported from the lands of other tribes. This animal was generally described as having dark fur, often black and sometimes red. The shaggy areas were distributed in a different way than on wolves. White settlers also thought they had seen this creature, and some were even mounted as trophies. Although the present wherabouts of these trophies is now unknown, one famous trophy had a picture taken of it, although it might have been a strange-looking wolf mounted by an incompetent taxidermist. Only DNA testing could settle the question. As wild America was despoiled, these sightings almost died out. Today, there are still a few, but they are complicated by confusions due to folklore, apparent supernatural characteristics, and likely confusion with other reports of wolves, wild dogs, and dog-like cryptids of several sorts. It is possible that this creature survived all the way up to a hundred years ago, only for the last pockets of survivors to be exterminated before being officially recognized by science.
>>
File: 1410232669362.jpg (153KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1410232669362.jpg
153KB, 1024x768px
God.
>>
File: emela2.jpg (24KB, 347x189px) Image search: [Google]
emela2.jpg
24KB, 347x189px
Emela-Ntouka

The emela-ntouka is reported as living in lakes in the Congo, one of the most remote parts of Africa. It has four sturdy legs, grayish, hairless skin, and is probably just a little bit bigger than an elephant. It has a single large white horn in the center of its forehead or nose. It swims through the water with a powerful tail shaped like that of a crocodile. Its name comes from its aggressive habits. Though it eats only plants, it is so irritable that it will attack other large animals and kill them.
>>
File: 300px-Sidehill-Gouger.jpg (32KB, 300x545px) Image search: [Google]
300px-Sidehill-Gouger.jpg
32KB, 300x545px
On wikipedia this is listed as a sidehill Gouger but I learned it as Sidehill moodie. They're little short horned birds that cant fly, and one leg is shorter thab the other. so they gotta walk around hills in circles. If you ever come across one, they'll eat you and sell your soul for a leaf's depth added to their short leg. Thats what I was told by my parents as a kid.
>>
File: web-thunderbird.jpg (57KB, 693x535px) Image search: [Google]
web-thunderbird.jpg
57KB, 693x535px
Thunder Bird

The thunderbirds of North American legend were almost exact equivalents to the old world rocs, giant predatory eagle-like or vulture-like birds with supernatural powers. Thunderbirds inhabit the folklore of many regions, but are more closely associated with certain locales such as Pennsylvania, the Mississippi River valley, and "The Enchanted Valley" in Olympic National Park, located in the Pacific Northwest. The thunderbird of folklore and the thunderbird of cryptozoology are two different things, though. Cryptozoologists use the word "thunderbird" as a convenient term for any abnormally large flying bird sighted in the New World. Giant flightless birds are treated separately. Most cryptozoological thunderbirds look at least somewhat like the thunderbirds of legend, but not all of them do. Some are giant owls, for example, even though "big owl" is a separate creature from the thunderbird in Native American legend. Most thunderbird reports that are taken seriously by scientists working in the field of cryptozoology describe a bird that generally resembles a really huge condor, sometimes with eagle features. This bird is sighted regularly in the same areas, at the same times of year, leading cryptozoologists to conclude that it might be an incredibly rare and highly migratory bird.
>>
>>15325329
reminds me of Mokele-Mbembe but more like a ceratopsid and less like an Apatasaur
>>
>>15325265

>>15325301

>>15325327

>implying cryptozoology is somehow less worthy of actual discussion than ayy-lmaos, Magics, and spoopy ghosts

5/10. made me reply
>>
>>15325353
I do recall there being several itterations of dinosaur like creatures coming out of Africa. Apparently some resembling various dinosaurs. I'll post them here in a bit.
>>
File: inflatable-hedgehog.png (66KB, 550x323px) Image search: [Google]
inflatable-hedgehog.png
66KB, 550x323px
Inflatable Hedgehog

Reported from the Gobi Desert of Mongolia, this animal is called the zamba zaraa by locals. It is described as looking something like a hedgehog. When threatened, the animal strikes its tail against the ground (an alarm action that is used by many different types of animal) and then proceeds to inflate itself considerably. Reports differ on how big it is after inflation, and range up to the size of a yurt (a small Mongolian tent-like dwelling).
>>
>>15325373
Is this autism in action.
>>
File: Kongamato1.jpg (21KB, 326x237px) Image search: [Google]
Kongamato1.jpg
21KB, 326x237px
Kongamato

Kongamatos are large pterosaur-like cryptids living in semitropical regions of Africa, particularly in Zambia, the Congo, and Angola. Its name means 'breaker of boats' or 'overturner of boats', as the kongamatos are said to have capsized the canoes of natives and attacked people who ventured too close to the nearby rivers. The accounts told of these creatures are similar to the ones that describe the ropen of Papua New Guinea, as well as with several other creatures. There are several historic reports of European explorers being attacked by large winged creatures, and quite often people were reported to have received wounds from the kongamatos. It is interesting to note that a good portion of modern kongamato sightings happen in a prime birdwatching site and yet birdwatchers never report anything, indicating that Kongamato may in fact be a case of mistaken identity.
>>
>>15325397
This entire board is Autism in action.
>>
File: Jba_Fofi.jpg (14KB, 260x192px) Image search: [Google]
Jba_Fofi.jpg
14KB, 260x192px
J'ba Fofi

The fullest account by Westerners appears in a cryptozoological book by George Eberhart. On page 204, Eberhart relates the terrifying experience of an English couple traveling through a jungle region of what is now called the Congo: "R.K. Lloyd and his wife were motoring in the Belgium Congo in 1938 when they saw a large object crossing the trail in front of them. At first, they thought it was a cat or monkey, but they soon realized it was a spider with legs nearly 3 feet."

Famous naturalist and cryptozoologist, William J. Gibbons, has hunted for what some think may be a living African dinosaur called Mokele-mbembe. On his third expedition in search of the creature he came upon natives who related their experiences with giant spiders. He shared his experience with readers upon his return to Canada:

"On this third expedition to Equatorial Africa, I took the opportunity to inquire if the pygmies knew of such a giant spider, and indeed they did! They speak of the Jba Fofi, which is a "giant" or "great spider." They described a spider that is generally brown in color with a purple abdomen. They grow to quite an enormous size with a leg span of at least five feet. The giant arachnids weave together a lair made of leaves similar in shape to a traditional pygmy hut, and spin a circular web (said to be very strong) between two trees with a strand stretched across a game trail."

"These giant ground-dwelling spiders prey on the diminutive forest antelope, birds, and other small game, and are said to be extremely dangerous, not to mention highly venomous," Gibbons states. "The spiders are said to lay white, peanut-sized eggs in a cluster, and the pygmies give them a wide birth when encountered, but have killed them in the past. The giant spiders were once very common but are now a rare sight."
>>
File: Rex_of_kasai.jpg (206KB, 900x695px) Image search: [Google]
Rex_of_kasai.jpg
206KB, 900x695px
Kasai Rex

In 1932, Swedish plantation owner John Johnson (sometimes spelled Johanson) was traveling with a servant in the Kasai Valley. They encountered a rhinoceros and tried to avoid detection when a large creature rushed from the undergrowth and attacked the rhino. Johnson fainted and the servant ran away. When Johnson recovered, he saw the creature eating the rhino.

"It was reddish in color, with blackish-colored stripes," he said later. "It had a long snout and numerous teeth." He decided that the creature, 13 m (43 ft) long, was a Tyrannosaurus and also said "The legs were thick; it reminded me of a lion, built for speed".
>>
>>15325391
some crazy ass cryptids come out of Mongolia. look up the Mongolian Death Worm. on my phone at work so its too much of a pain in the ass the try to post the desription.
>>
File: 300px-Mbielu_mackal.jpg (16KB, 300x220px) Image search: [Google]
300px-Mbielu_mackal.jpg
16KB, 300x220px
Mbielu-Mbielu-Mbielu

Mbielu-Mbielu-Mbielu or "the animal with planks growing out of its back" when translated is an aquatic-based cryptid suggested to be a close relative of Stegosaurus living in the Likouala Region of the Republic of Congo. The creature is said to be herbivorous although no physical evidence of the creature has yet been collected.
Most sightings have only been reported by local villagers at the villages of Bounila and Ebolo, claiming that the creature has green algae on the exposed part of its body when coming up to the surface of the water. They fail to give an accurate description of the feet of Mbielu-Mbielu-Mbielu, saying that the creature was sighted when submerged in the waters.
>>
File: Rahon.jpg (24KB, 474x480px) Image search: [Google]
Rahon.jpg
24KB, 474x480px
Lone Pine Mountain Devil

The Lone Pine Mountain Devil is a winged carnivore of North American folklore. Some believe it to be a West Coast relative of the New Jersey Devil. One early account by a priest described them as “winged demons” sent from the “depths of hell.” Also referred to as the California Mountain Devil, the animal is said to be a bat-like legendary creature or cryptid believed to inhabit the wilderness and mountainous regions of the American Southwest and Northern Mexico. The Lone Pine Mountain Devil is usually described as a large, furry, multi-winged creature with razor-like talons and multiple layers of deadly, venomous fangs.

Early settlers, including the Forty-niners, began spreading tales of the creature’s existence after numerous coyote and bobcat carcasses were found in the rough desert and mountain wilderness of the Southwest in the mid 19th Century. It is not known when or who first coined the name “Lone Pine Mountain Devil.”< The Mountain Devil became legend as the settler’s told each other tales of finding entire convoys of adventurers, families, and gold prospectors who had been murdered, their faces left unrecognizable and their torsos appeared to have been eaten clean to the bone. Since the early-1900s, sightings have dropped significantly. Some attribute the massive population influx of the early 20th Century to the regions of Southern California

After years in decline, the new millennium has seen a sudden jump in Mountain Devil sightings. California cryptologists have stated that they have recorded an exponential rise between 2003 and 2010. Local authorities are currently investigating the disappearance of a group of local high school students missing in the Death Valley region since March, 2010.
>>
File: Ahool.jpg (60KB, 381x588px) Image search: [Google]
Ahool.jpg
60KB, 381x588px
Ahool

The Ahool ( Pterapus boomus) or The Athol is a winged Cryptid. Some portrayed the creature as a giant bat, while others claim it is flying primate. It was first reported by Dr. Ernest Bartels in 1925. It is said to live in the deepest parts of the jungles of Java, and can be found across most of Indonesia. Sub-species can be found on the the near by island of new guinea in the form of the Ropen, a cousin to the Ahool, it has a long snout, large wings and a long thin crest made raised hair. It has a chimp's /bat's face, large dark eyes, Red skinned wings, large claws on its forearms, and is covered in grey fur. It is said to have a wingspan of 12 feet, or 3 meters. That is twice the size of the largest bat known to man, the flying fox.
>>
File: rodspic.jpg (15KB, 314x228px) Image search: [Google]
rodspic.jpg
15KB, 314x228px
One of my personal favorites

Air Rods

Air rods, also called "flying rods" and "sky fish," are something like crop circles in that even the skeptics admit they exist. The only question is what they really are. Invisible to the eye, they are picked up by cameras all over the world. Are they living creatures, alien probes, or some sort of 3D electromagnetic smudge? To believers in the cryptozoology-based theory of air rods, air rods are probably living creatures, and they are possibly related to older stories of atmospheric beasts. To skeptics, air rods are bits of flying debris, insects or birds filmed under unusual conditions, or blips on film that are due to errors in film processing.
Skyfish
Artist's rendering
Air rods were discovered in the 1990s. People found that some films of all types, ranging from home videos to movies seen in theaters, had odd disturbances that looked something like blurry rods that were mostly transparent, occasionally whitish in color. Most of these disturbances were fast-moving and barely visible to the eye. These rods showed up best against large areas of the same color, such as the sky.

Close study of air rod films revealed a number of very interesting features. As these rods zoomed about, they displayed all the features of three-dimensional objects. In other words, they were not two-dimensional blotches on the camera lens or on the film itself, but something out there in the environment that was actually being filmed by accident. This three-dimensional nature of air rods has been proven without a doubt by the types of measurements and tests that only professionals can do. Careful measurements showed that most rods were between four inches and three feet long. They seemed like uniform cylinders without any difference between the head end and tail end, with pairs of appendages along the length of this cylinder.
>>
>>15325544
A bug, faggot.
>>
File: 1412958283665.gif (484KB, 200x149px) Image search: [Google]
1412958283665.gif
484KB, 200x149px
>>15325558
Wow why are you even on this board?
>>
File: 2.jpg (14KB, 384x288px) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
14KB, 384x288px
Pigeon rat
>>
>>15325329
AWWW SHIT NIGGER CRYPTID THREAD ON /X/? THIS IS FUCKING RARE I'M HAPPY AS FUCK

>>15325329
This one easily be explained away by a rhino.

Also I thought I read some article about how tests were done on alleged Yeti hair and found to belong to some sort of prehistoric bear. If they DO find a surviving species of ancient bear that'd be a huge victory for cryptozoology and would force the scientific community to pull its head out of its own ass for a second and realize we aren't claiming magical space unicorns exist (well most of us) and just want to consider the possibility of undiscovered animals.
>>
>>15325572
He's right, though. A fast moving insect caught on camera will appear to be a rod with pairs of appendages along the length.
>>
>>15325572
Yea I mean I believe in the existence of surviving prehistoric animals or undiscovered species... but that's a fucking bug caught on camera with motion blur. The rod shit has been disproven a bunch of times and is stupid and detrimental to cryptozoology as a whole.
>>
>>15325337
topkek
>>
>>15325440
>the servant runs away
>the swede faints
topkek
>>
Living dinosaurs are the only crytpids I believe in, all this Jersey Devil and Chupacabra crap is nonsense.
>>
File: cyno_andaman.jpg (131KB, 464x327px) Image search: [Google]
cyno_andaman.jpg
131KB, 464x327px
Dog Headed Men
>>
>>15325281
>is it possible that some form of Megaladon still exits?
no, not really, it's just too big and would leave obvious shit everywhere.

It's not like whales that eat plankton ,the fucker would eat whales, there would be something to tell us he's out there at the very least scars on surviving whales.
>>
>>15326723
I wonder if there are dog headed women.....For scientific reasons of course.
>>
There is a creature here in Brazil called the Nego D'Água or Caboclo D'Água, AKA, the Water Nigger or the Water Man. It's said to be a humanoid fish-like creature that lives in murky waters and likes to drown occasional swimmers.
>>
>>15325451
How the fuck does that translate that way? It's the same 3 words repeated
>>
>>15326825
im gunna call bullshit. everyone knows niggers cant swim
>>
>>15325397
You may want to go back to 9fag
>>
>>15325284
The fact that the witnesses couldn't make up their minds and the crazy variations of witness sightings makes me think its bullshit. Like with the Jersey Devil.
>>
My favorite is the Texas Stiltwalker, in no small part because I think I've seen one and I also live in texas.
>>
>>15325284
Tfw everyone in Loveland is retarded or insane
>>
>>15325247
God i loved reading about cryptids as a kid, and it still fills me with a little sense of wonder that maybe there is unexplored regions of the world with cool creatures lurking. what happened /x/?
>>
>>15328861
new species are being discovered all of the time but the mainstream still enjoys pissing in our cheerios and saying that there is no way these creatures exist. even after being wrong about giant squids and the coelacanth.

why does it have to be impossible for dinosaurs to have a small extant population in the dense jungles of the congo? why couldn't the amazon be home to a gigantic snake (even if it is just a freak of nature anaconda and not a new species)? its just shitty that science has kind of given up on exploration when compared to the 1800s and early 1900s. back
when it was hard as a motherfucker to go on these excursions they still did it. now scientist only go in search of a guaranteed result.
>>
>>15325427

Big spiders were also killed by Vietnam vets. They were described as being silver in colour, up to 3 or 4 feet long and they prowled the edges of lakes and rivers sometimes catching fish and small creatures.
>>
>>15325350

Some big birds like that were seen by my two uncles on a farm in Devon in 1965. They'd been hired by the farmer as odd job sorts and they'd help out and it had been taking the farmers cattle.
>>
>>15325443

THE SPICE MUST FLOW
>>
>>15325294
What compels you to believe that?
>>
File: 1411476202183.jpg (172KB, 1110x980px) Image search: [Google]
1411476202183.jpg
172KB, 1110x980px
>>15325247
>>
File: set-animal.jpg (78KB, 720x450px) Image search: [Google]
set-animal.jpg
78KB, 720x450px
My favourite, by far, is the set animal, aka sha, typhonian animal or thyphonic beast.

"...a chimerical beast, the totemic animal of the god Seth"

"The linguistic use in the Egyptian language is as the determinative, for words portraying items with chaos, example words related to suffering, violence, perturbation. Also for the 'violent storms' of the atmosphere, a tempest"

"The sha is usually depicted as a slender dog, resembling a greyhound or a jackal, with three distinguishing features: a stiff tail, often forked at the end, which stands straight up or at an angle, whether the animal is sitting, standing, or walking; its ears, also held erect, are usually depicted as squarish or triangular, narrowest at the base and widest at the squarish tops; and a long nose, often with a slight downward curve. It is normally depicted as black, but may also have been reddish."

"Although sometimes described as a fantastic or composite animal, it was depicted in a realistic manner more typical of actual creatures."

>mfw it was both depicted as a fantasy animal (like a sphynx) and a real, existing animal
>it is the animal equivalent of the God Set (Seth) and a bad omen
>nobody knows, to this day, what animal Set was supposed to be
>weird as fuck because all other non-human egyptian gods were based on actual animals
>Set himself is depicted as many different animals besides the sha, and all of them are real (scorpion, hippo, antelope, crocodile, etc)
>meaning that the sha is/was possibly a living creature at some point in time
>>
>>15328904
Brazilfag here.

I personally believe gigantic snakes are a possibility. For fuck's sake, this size of snake is somewhat common here: http://g1.globo.com/am/amazonas/noticia/2011/11/cobra-de-6-m-de-comprimento-foi-encontrada-na-zona-oeste-de-manaus.html

>6 meters long
>found on a road, casually chilling
>"We were afraid drivers would kill it, so we captured it"
>mfw amazon HUEfags are perfectly okay with this

The Amazon is absurdly dense and unexplored, it's a pity that it's so hard to study things over there. Besides, illegal deforestation has been super intense lately, and they kill anything unusual they find in order to not attract attention to the area.
>>
>>15326753
no survivors
>>
File: 250px-Duende_model.jpg (26KB, 250x366px) Image search: [Google]
250px-Duende_model.jpg
26KB, 250x366px
American SouthAmerican gnome/duende/goblin/sprite

duendes are known as gnome like creatures who live inside the walls of homes, especially in the bedroom walls of young children. They attempt to clip the toenails of unkempt children, often leading to the mistaken removal of entire toes. They are also known for taking items from young children. They have also been able to barter with the mother of young children so that they can take the child. They appear at night when children are at play with a ball, and watch the children and later make their appearance and confront the children.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3otf7yV2420
>>
>>15329041
it's a kangaroo. As portrayed by egyptians told about kangaroos by the other egyptians that visited australia.
>>
>>15329185

Heard about the Gympie pyramid anon?
>>
>>15329196
Maybe? hard to remember.
But my theory is that the egyptians are just like, standing around being all "this place sucks! it's just desert and giant friggin spiders!"
then a kangaroo comes hopping allong...
and punches one of them in the face then leaves.
They come back home, people hear the story and are like "Yep, that sure sounds like Set, lord of the red desert"
>>
File: 1405479287230.png (147KB, 212x325px) Image search: [Google]
1405479287230.png
147KB, 212x325px
>>15329185
>Ancient Egyptians
>Australia
>>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bd1usqPiNRU
>>
>>15329185
Kangaroos are bipedal though, not quadripeds.
>>
>>15325281
NOW YOU JUST NEED A WAILORD AND YOU CAN OPEN THE WAY TO FIND THE REGI TRIO
>>
There were reported Sasquatch sightings here in and around El Paso a few years back. A friend of mine went camping and supposedly heard whooping in the desert.
A few people around the city supposedly heard the same.
> supposedly
Everyone went...
> apeshit...
you could say.
>>
>>15329669
I find it interesting how bigfoot is reported in so many different parts of North America.

Like it seems almost as if there is a subspecies for each geographical US region. What makes it even more interesting though is that it's all 100% theory, there's absolutely no definitive proof of the existence of sasquatch, and yet there's so much to learn about them too from different sightings reports and what not.

Hell I would like it if the sasquatch was definitively discovered just so we can start answering some of these questions.
>>
>>15328995
#walrusyes
>>
>>15329690
It seems to me like a memetic thing. As cool as it would be for it to actually exist, a bigass ape-man wandering in at least slightly large numbers around the forests of North America basically everywhere would have to leave some sort of concrete evidence. There's no way it could go for so long without a body or something being found. What is more likely the case, and what I find almost as fascinating, is that the myth has spread memetically into people's heads all over the country and make them think they've seen or heard something they haven't, or see something slightly weird and then their brain fills in the rest with details from other people's sightings. Overtime it has formed a sort of canon mythology around something which likely never existed to the point where it's become almost as real as if it did exist, with people actively convincing themselves they've seen it. It's very interesting and shows how it doesn't really matter whether something exists or not it a way, the effect it has on the real world is entirely derived from people believing in it, and if enough people believe in something that doesn't exist, it almost becomes as real as the real thing, or for all practical purposes it has the same amount of influence.
>>
I believe in the possible existence of living dinosaurs... according to the explorers the tribals immediately pointed out a sauropod in a book they were shown when asked about mokele-mbembe. I also believe in Sasquatch... Gigantopithecus is the obvious explanation for it. I also hope they are never officially discovered... they've lived among themselves for centuries now, if discovered they would never roam free again. I believe in various sea serpents and other aquatic cryptics; the ocean is one big sumbitch to be discounting anything. The only ones I doubt are the "extreme" cryptids like Jersey Devil and the Dover Demon, though they could tie into inter-dimensional beings if you're willing to believe in that. It's a possibility, but who knows.
>>
>>15329734
Man that is an interesting idea. I'm not 100% convinced bigfoot in some form doesn't or has never existed, for example people like Jane Goodall believe in the existence of a large North American primate, but I am still on the heavily skeptic side leaning towards they don't exist.

But yeah, the development of a canon mythology of something that has always been perceived as people is interesting as fuck. I mean there's even so many different types of large bipedal primates reported throughout the world which makes your idea even more interesting about how far spread the idea would be. Hell there are reports of sasquatch like creatures in The Philippines. If it were truly all memetic that would be astounding.
>>
>>15329851
Perceived as real by people*
>>
File: Mexican wolf boys.jpg (16KB, 278x181px) Image search: [Google]
Mexican wolf boys.jpg
16KB, 278x181px
>>15326723
Myth busted
>>
>>15329164
>They attempt to clip the toenails of unkempt children, often leading to the mistaken removal of entire toes.
Well they clearly sound competent enough to hide from modern civilization.
>>
>>15329851
It's always possible that it could exist, and I'd love if something as interesting as that were possible in this dull world devoid of mystery. However, it's so easy for these type of memetic mythologies to spread that I find it very likely. Take Slenderman for example, literally just invented by a guy only a few years ago. By now he has a whole mythos about his traits and behavior. My little sister got told about it in the form of a classic "my cousin's friends brother told he about this true story" format campfire tales without having ever heard of Slenderman or the photo contest beforehand or seen anything about marble hornets until she told me she was scared about it and I showed her where it was originally made up. People are literally murdering for this character which doesn't exist and who's origin can be verified easily and proven to be fake. Things like this only prove how quickly stories like that can spread and how easy it is for it to transition from obvious bullshit to something which has a real effect on the real world. I wouldn't be surprised if there were bullshit documentaries about him in 20 years with the original context completely lost. Another example is the idea of Greys and UFO mythos. The very sad fact is that most of the time there is no true mystery or the unexplainable left in the world except for the furthest frontiers of cutting edge science. It makes me actually depressed, which I why I go on /x/ so much looking for something real to believe in. Unfortunately the only real monsters, in one way or another, are just humans or the human mind.
>>
>>15329445
Why wouldn't they be able to visit Australia? It's not like vikings weren't able to visit America? Dudes could have walked to India and then taken a boat down making stops in indonesia and various island along the way. People assume ancient civilizations didn't travel or explore the world much. I'm positive they did, they just probably didn't bother establishing trade routes or colonies if there were no obvious benefits.
>>
>>15329963
They could've just gone from the red sea across the indian ocean, it wouldn't be too unbelievable.
>>
>>15329963
You do realize that the Vikings and the Ancient Egyptians lived tens of thousands of years apart don't you? And you do realize that there is absolutely no shred of evidence in the slightest that the Ancient Egyptians ever visited Australia? Are you honestly this fucking inept and uneducated in ancient history?
>>
>>15325247
I love all sorts of sea cryptids because they are the most likely to actually exist.
>>
>>15329933
I feel you dude. I come here for similar reasons, I love to be immersed in the mysteries that surround every day life and existence, it's unfortunate that the rest of this board doesn't seem to exactly hold that same thought as me. I really do like your perspective and view upon the memetics of these sorts of things though. It really is truly fascinating what people are so quick to believe. the human mind and humans in general are an incredibly interesting thing, and there's so many things about them that we've yet to understand even though we ourselves are them.
>>
>>15329997
Technologically speaking what are the biggest differences between a Viking long boat and an Abydos boat? Do you sincerely believe that all of history is accounted for? That we know everything about the past to the littlest detail? If that's the case you're not only stupid but lack imagination.
>>
>>15325294
y u think dis?
Care to elaborate?
>>
>>15325482
Is this derailing to a pokemon thread?
>>
>>15326825
Bullshit
Shit disolves in water
Shit = nigger
Mythbusted
>>
File: 1407619163787.gif (916KB, 490x367px) Image search: [Google]
1407619163787.gif
916KB, 490x367px
>>15330027
>This could've happened so I'm sure it happened regardless of lack of evidence!

Jesus fucking christ dude, educate yourself.
>>
>>15330027
well the viking long boat used iron rivets to keep the planking in place, it had an internal frame, and didn't have a hull depth of 2 feet, unlike an abydos boat. an abdyos boat's hull depth suggests it couldn't really sustain itself on the open ocean at all, it would be sunk in a matter of minutes.
>>
>>15330191
>the viking long boat used iron rivets to keep the planking in place
It used fish glue and Odin magic you fucking know-nothing pleb.
>>
>>15329997

first off, what does the age of the two different civilizations have to do with whether or not one visited the others land? austrailia didnt suddenly start existing as soon as austrailians did, the continent was always there. kangaroos would have been there as well. theres no reason egyptians could not have gone there.

they have found evidence of small expeditions of america going even farther back than the vikings. simple carvings in old languages revealing that small parties made it pretty far into america.
>>
>>15326998
greentext pls
>>
Tokoloshe.
>>
>>15329221
Underrated post
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 7000x3939px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 7000x3939px
>>15330344

>theres no reason egyptian could not have gone there

Yeah...

Only a pretty big fuckin' distance. The vikings had ships made of wood and iron, and prayers founded by Odin. The Egyptians...

They had just wood.

And, even if some Egyptians went to Australia some thiusands years ago, where the fuck is the evidence? No legends of the Aboriginals about strange foreigners who were amazed by Kangaroos? No mentions of strange boats?

No mutha-fuckin' Khopesh?

Yeah, the ancient Egyptians never made it to Australia.
>>
File: 1405564070610.jpg (26KB, 524x535px) Image search: [Google]
1405564070610.jpg
26KB, 524x535px
>>15330344
You don't seem to understand how this works. Just because some uneducated shill on the internet has a wild imagination and decides all of a sudden that Ancient Egyptians visited Australia doesn't make it so. Go to fucking university and get yourself a Ph.D, then people will care about what you have to say, and after you do that you won't be thinking stupid shit like Ancient Egyptians visited Australia.

If you want to talk about pre-European expeditions to Australia, the most likely cases would be the Chinese, or you know, people from that part of the fucking world.

Your vivid imagination doesn't lend itself to reality in any way shape or form. Fact of the matter is the only evidence there was that even remotely hinted at Ancient Egyptians visiting Australia were the Gosford Glyphs, which have been unequivocally been proven to be fabrications.

Like I said, educate yourself.
>>
The sad thing is, if we find the aforementioned cryptids, they will not be as interesting as the legends behind them.

I doubt that the Jersey Devil has the power to change forms.

Or that the Mothman can predict when natural disasters will occur.

Hell, The Chupacabra can't live on a diet of blood for a day.
>>
>>15330427
Why wouldn't the Chupacabra be able to live off blood? There's plenty of other hemovores.
>>
>>15325329
SO it's a rhino?
>>
>>15329164
Everything about that description clearly shows it as something parents would use to scare a kid into behaving.
>>
>>15325635
>nigger
please dont be so pathetic
>>
>>15326825
>>15326851
my sides
>>
File: 1410062570344.jpg (59KB, 553x567px) Image search: [Google]
1410062570344.jpg
59KB, 553x567px
>>15330439

Size to Diet Ratio.

The Chupacabra is described as a 3-4 Foot tall organism (Both Reptilian and Canine versions)

The closest organism to that size and with a similar diet is the Vampire Bat. The Vampire Bat spends 16 Hours in a Dormant/Resting state. It spends the next 4 Hours looking for prey (5-6 Victims) and the last 4 Hours resting and digesting it's food.

>The Vampire Bat only drains 1 Fluid Ounce per victim. However, by the end of it's night, combined, he would have added 120% Of his original weight.
>The Vampire Bat is, on average, 1/4 of a foot in height and 2/4 of a foot in Wingspan size.
>Though Blood is rich in Nutrients and Proteins, most of it is lost only 2 Minutes after feeding (per individual) is done as the bat urinates almost immediately.

All of this taken into account, the 3-4 Foot tall Chupacabra, would need to completely drain 10-20 Medium sized organisms per day. Outside of controlled environments, only the rainforest (and that's a maybe) could sustain this organism. Pair that with the fact that Chupacabras have been said to mostly live in Northern Mexico (An almost Barren Desert), you can see as to why the diet of the Chupacabra is extremely unlikely.
>>
File: mk_davis_pgf.gif (4MB, 1070x216px) Image search: [Google]
mk_davis_pgf.gif
4MB, 1070x216px
>>
>>15330701
Interesting, I didn't know about this before. Thank you for the education anon.
>>
>>15326998
Looking this up my jaw dropped. On mobile so I'll try my best to make my description not shit.

New years into 2009, lived in Florida about 20 minutes from the beach. Two thirty at night and am on the way home from a friend's house. Had an uneventful new years, just played some video games and called it a night.

There is a cut between two houses that connected to my back yard. It was clear out and the moon was shining bright, so I could see everything- except for under a big tree the covered majority of the house on the right and it's backyard. Hopped off my bike and was walking it through the grass between the two houses.

Hear rustling in the grass so I stop to look about me. See this creature ( coming from under the shadow of the tree ) that was about my height (5"10) but on all fours. The legs were long as hell and the shit moved so fast, thing's body was dark and skinny. In my fear and confusion I watched it for about three seconds until it turned to me. I noped so fucking hard, picked my bike up and ran for the street. Hauled ass around the block to my house and made my step father go outside to find the shit.
This is the first I've seen of something similar to what I saw.
>>
>>15325382
It funny, in alot of medieval bestiaries dragons and the like are always African.
>>
>>15328914
Afghanistan/Iraq vets also say that swarms of solifuges eat there way out of camels. Soldiers lie.
>>
File: pussy.gif (1MB, 289x175px) Image search: [Google]
pussy.gif
1MB, 289x175px
>Live in West Virgina
>Never even seen the Moth Man
Fuck
>>
>>15330633
Please don't be such a nigger
>>
File: image.jpg (148KB, 640x742px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
148KB, 640x742px
>>15330975
I feel them feels as well, anon.

>live only two hours from Point Pleasant
>live in sparsely populated area
>grew up innawoods
>in the Appalachians
>no cool paranormal encounters ever
>>
File: 1405878155771.jpg (429KB, 687x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1405878155771.jpg
429KB, 687x1024px
>>15326998
sauce?
>>
>>15325327
But the guy in the picture's American too
>>
>>15326825
>Nego
>Nigger
Damn man, as a brazillian I lost it.
>>
>>15330953

*Claps*

Clever boy. Did you learn that at school?
Also, solifuges aren't real spiders, something the media fails to mention.
>>
>>15330905
That sounds creepy as fuck. A 5-6 foot tall one sounds much more disturbing than the normal 15 as well.
>>
>>15330701
The vampire bat is also a flying mammal, flight burns up a lot of energy. Isnt the Chupacabra also known to remove certain organs as well from animals? So if the Chupacabra drinks blood and eats the liver of its prey then it could easily survive off that, especially if it lays dormant for long periods and has reptillian characteristics or a torpor that slows its metabolism.
>>
>>15331903
>>15331903
Never go full retard.
>>
Hey /x/, /vp/ here. More specifically, /vp/magg here. We have a mon based on the Ao Ao with a bit of a wolf in sheep's clothing and a pinch of chupacabra and I was wondering what you can tell me about the Ao Ao. I'm working on overhauling it's moveset and I'm curious if there's any interesting factoids about the Ao Ao that you can share.

Thanks much!
>>
God forbid any of us ever run into fuckfoot in the woods.
That dude is scary
>>
>>15328904

As a scientist I will state for the record that's not so much a lack of desire or bravey, but more so a lack of funding. Investors are not interested in what mysterious creatures could be out there, they are interested in finding the next big thing to sell, like a new pharmaceutical.

Personally most of us would like to be pushing the final frontiers and competing in space races. But the world is not like that anymore, and our ambitions have been thwarted by the greed of mankind.
>>
>>15330633
You're on 4chan. You can't be offended by the words Nigger or Faggot here.
>>
When I was little I remember vividly a alligator or something similar walking by our living room window as I was looking out. Sorta thought it was a glare from the tv reflecting when I got older but thinking about it now. And the position of the tv. There's no way that was possible. I screamed for my dad and he went out to look with a gun but never found anything. I don't know what I saw that night if I saw something similar to an alligator creature and thought it was an alligator and my memory is just distorted of what it really was and I just think it was an alligator. Also we live in Georgia and didn't live near a river. There was a small pond maybe 40 foot wide in the middle of the dense woods not far. But nothing deep enough to sustain anything like that. I even went there the next day to see if it was but I never saw anything. Are there any alligator like cryptids in the u.s
>>
I lived in Alabama when I was much younger and I could have sworn I saw bigfoot plenty of times in the woods. They were all white for some reason. I did some research earlier this year but apparently it's called the "white thang"
not really much to it
>>
>>15330975
>>15331024
it's because it died (or left depending on what you believe) after the bridge fell
>>
>>15330633
if even niggers say and call each other niggers then you shouldn't be offended by it
>>
>>15329734
Real people don't type like you. Servant.
>>
>>15330026
and YOU.
>>
>>15325327
>Fairy-believers

Well, yes. I've seen them. Not the cute little Tinkerbell Disney garden Pixies, but the terrifying and otherworldly, yet so-beautiful-they-hurt-to-look at honest Fair Folk.
>>
>>15335148
Go on
>>
>>15325427
>J'ba Fofi
If these are real I'm fucking moving to Greenland.
>>
>>15331024
I live 45 mins away from PP, where you at? We should hunt this shit.
>>
I've seen two cryptids in my life - yowie (Aussie bigfoot) and a fucking flying dinosaur

>Just moved to Brisbane in 2012 (3rd largest city in Australia, but living on outskirts), unpacking boxes in garage
>Garage door open, faces road and the forrest on the other side of the road
>Everything's normal, nothing strange at all in first 45 minutes of work
>See something moving in the forrest in my peripheral vision
>Look up, see a very large - surely at least 2.5 metres tall and very stocky - brown fucking bigfoot standing about 10m behind the first row of trees
>Stands there for about 30 seconds, scanning the area, before venturing back into the forrest
>Haven't seen anything like it since

And the flying dinosaur,
>2004, was 14
>walking with 2 mates from my house to another guys house (5-10 minute walk)
>about 5pm, suburban neighbourhood, not that many people/cars
>one mate yelps and points to the other side of the street
>fucking pterodactyl (maybe not that, but a dinosaur bird) perched on top of a garage
>stare at it slack-jawed in disbelief for about 10 seconds
>it flies off, we watch it fly for about a minute before it goes out of view
>never see anything like it again
>never heard of any flying dinosaurs in Australia
>>
>>15333750

le reddit memes and upboats :^)
>>
>>15330405
As an Australian, there is a lot of evidence. Look up the work of Tim and Evan Strong
>>
File: Laughing-Baby.jpg (58KB, 200x198px) Image search: [Google]
Laughing-Baby.jpg
58KB, 200x198px
>>15326842
I was wondering that too.
>>
>>15326825
>implying it isn't one of you
hue
>>
>>15325311
Where's the picture?

>>15330633
You're past 110th nigga.
>>
>>15325506
nobody fucks with the Ahool.

The Ahool is top predator and if he's not then you enjoy a bat talon to the face.
>>
>>15335524
Do you have pelicans or anything similar over there? I could see them being confused for something prehistoric.
>>
>>15329221
No, the nile river basin would have resembled northern florida. Stop being an uneducated cunt. Yeah it was hot but there was dense foliage and crocodiles nigga.
>>
>>15325247
Chanchalu, by far. Old creepy Satanic mountain man for the win.
>>
>>15336303
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_pelican
>>
File: 3944102830_00900969e9.jpg (69KB, 500x413px) Image search: [Google]
3944102830_00900969e9.jpg
69KB, 500x413px
>>15335524
Something like this?
>>
>>15333760
/vp/ your underage is showing, Jesus Christ on /x/ too
>>
Lurking. By the way, Secret Saturdays was a pretty interesting show to me, just due to the Cryptozoology aspect.
>>
>>15325544

these were debunked a long time ago, those are video artifacts. the image of the bug is being stretched out because the camera cant keep up with it.
>>
>>15325443
Fucking Tremors or what?
>>
>>15325506
>deepest part of the jungle of java

Sadly, there is almost no jungle anymore here saved for a few of national parks and those are very small. Unlike in the US or Canada.
>>
>>15329997
The vikings didn't have the technology to build a pyramid, yet they have visited america. There is still a posibility of wandering ancient egyptians, they have no war to worry about.
>>
>>15335524
>stands there for 30 seconds
>no pictures

fake confirmed.
>>
>>15327258
Something's in the water.
>>
>>15335148
*makes a farting noise with mouth*
>>
>>15325420
The entirety of 4chan is autism in action.
>>
Here's a neat list for those that think it's impossible for new, large animals to be discovered in the present day. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_megafauna_discovered_in_modern_times
>>
>>15325443
I'm sure I saw a pasta about that set in the midwest or something.
>>
The most likely well-known cryptid hypothesis is probably the existence of puma concolor (cougar/puma/mountain lion/whatever you want to call it) east of the Mississippi.
Solid evidence and massive eyewitness testimony.
Also hostile government response, especially in Appalachian states.

imo this should be cyptozoologists' top priority.
Proving this is quite possible and would be a huge step to mainstream credibility and funding.
>>
>>15337432
You're probably thinking of the movie Tremors.
>>
File: dscn5007.jpg .jpg (221KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
dscn5007.jpg .jpg
221KB, 1280x960px
>>15336297
Pretty sure this is the Shunka Warakin picture he was talking about.
>>
>>15337522
aaaand quoted the wrong dude

>>15336295
>>
I guess it's not really cryptids, but there are still mountain lion sightings (and some wildlife cam photos) of mountain lions in eastern states. Even as a kid, I remember people warning about mountain lionsin PA, even though the government wouldn't officially say they were still around.

There's also been sightings of two different jaguars in Arizona sort of recently.
>>
>>15330382
wut
>>
>>15337813
I've seen a puma in Connecticut. Walked right across the road in front of me and up a tree.
>>
>>15337487
>>15337813
>>15338521

I live in southern Georgia, and we get Florida Panthers up here every few years. One in particular managed to shred about 30 deer at one hunting club's land until one of the guys finally dropped it.

So yeah, there ARE mountain lions east of the Mississippi. And really I don't think it'd be much of a shock to find out they come from both Florida and father west into the north east part of the US, really.
>>
>>15336303
>>15336343
I know what pelicans look like and I'm 100% sure it wasn't one. Much larger, had a wingspan of about 7m? Maybe a bit more.

>>15336735
Was moving to Brisbane after living in Indonesia for 2 years so couldn't really use the same phone, camera was stashed away in a box somewhere.
>>
>>15337522
Certainly looks like a badly mounted wolf, and I only say this because I've seen a lion mounted much worse
>>
>>15336316
i think he was talking about an egyptian visiting australia
>>
>>15329489
copy of a copy of a copy of a testimony problem? there aren't many bipedal animals so if this wasn't the primary physical feature it might have been overlooked as fantastic compared to the other features
>>
>>15337850
>>15330382
hah, transylvanian tanuki
>>
>>15334443
gators and crocs do go shacking up in pools often enough that animal control in the local area could give you a list of incidents, call and ask
>>
>>15326842
African languages are weird like that.
>>
>>15329760
The problem I have with them pointing it out in a book is that tribes are well known for perceiving images very differently. It doesn't completely discredit the idea but it just throws some doubt on that particular piece of evidence.
>>
>>15329851
Goodall isn't really someone whose opinion I value. We shouldn't let women work with apes, they fuck it up.
>>
>>15325284
Somebody's been reading too much Hellboy
>>
File: image.jpg (26KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
26KB, 400x300px
>>15326723
>>
>>15328904
field biologist fag here

>new species are being discovered all of the time

99.9% of these new species are either sooo tiny they were overlooked previously or look so similar to known species they were overlooked. Most new species are insects. It's incredibly big news in the scientific community when a distinct, new species larger then a mouse is found.

As optimistically hopeful I am about the existence of cryptids, most of the creatures described in this thread (typically being large, apex predators) would need to have a crazy-large ecological niche (from a reproductive and nutritional standpoint) that would almost certainly have been documented by now. And that's not even mentioning minimum population thresholds required to maintain a genetically diverse population.

>TLDR:

> Small Herbivorous Cryptids?
Very Possible!

>Large Predatory Cyptids?
Extremely Unlikely, if not ecologically impossible.
>>
File: 1328144093040.jpg (36KB, 359x500px) Image search: [Google]
1328144093040.jpg
36KB, 359x500px
Real or fake?
>>
File: eXz08.jpg (80KB, 300x250px) Image search: [Google]
eXz08.jpg
80KB, 300x250px
>>15340929
Has Science gone too far?
>>
>>15340806

OMFG THEY'RE REAL!
>>
>>15340863

Disinfo agent plz go.
>>
>>15341022
Except everything he said makes sense. I'm just an undergrad bio major and his points all add up.
>>
>>15326753
>east a whale
>whatever doesnt get finished sinks down to the bottom and is eaten by other animals
not to say I beleive it either, but it is possible. Watch
>>
>>15326753
but that has happened.
many reports of large sharks and whales being found with enormous bites taken out of them
>>
>>15328995
Is that the script for Tusk?
>>
>>15325281
>is it possible that some form of Megaladon still exits?
It's funny you should say that
just last week a buddy told me about a scienceteam that had apparently filmed megalodon
I don't know if that really was a megalodon, but it was a big shark, and it was enough to make the world of biology reconsider it
>>
>>15341398
I decided to look up what you were talking about and apparently nazi's took a picture of one.
>>
File: Moa claw.jpg (159KB, 1600x1117px) Image search: [Google]
Moa claw.jpg
159KB, 1600x1117px
>>
>>15325635
Super late reply but thought I'd share some information. A scientist got a bunch of samples of hair from all over the world from alleged bigfoot/yeti sightings and pretty much all the samples had bear DNA and so were probably just bears. The one sample youre talking about was from northern north america, where the hair had DNA that came from an unidentified bear species. It was postulated that a polar bear could have wandered quite far south and successfully mated with a brown bear.
>>
>>15341411
http://www.businessinsider.com/discovery-channels-fake-documentaries-2014-9
>>
>>15341606
well i was duped
>>
>>15325407

i actually saw this once in my time there
>>
>>15337488
Yeah, I'm sure I'm confusing a movie with a piece of text.

No, it was a story where the guy visited his neighbours and then on the way bck to his ranch it began to rain and a hug number of giant leech/worm things surfaced and he had to climb something to avoid them.
>>
>>15330414
Wow, I didn't know fucktards like this existed. Eat shit asshole, I'm not even the guy you were responding to. Please, try to make me sound insane to "discredit" me.
>>
>>15340929
Is it a half-starved chimpanzee?
>>
File: sasquatch.jpg (382KB, 1200x971px) Image search: [Google]
sasquatch.jpg
382KB, 1200x971px
Thread posts: 189
Thread images: 45

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.