[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why can't anyone make a good horror game? That's a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 138
Thread images: 29

File: 1394832274741.gif (2MB, 310x325px) Image search: [Google]
1394832274741.gif
2MB, 310x325px
Why can't anyone make a good horror game?
That's a serious question. The last horror game that I played that actually made me afraid was Silent Hill 2.

I'm really sick of the bullshit. All horror games these days are
>BAM loud noise and some unoriginal monster/ghost betchya didnt see that one coming, faggots

Am I the only one? I think I could write a better horror game. One that doesn't rely on gore and loud noises to force someone to be scared for a second and then bored the next
>>
Have you played Amnesia? I haven't gotten around to it yet, but I hear it's very good psychological thriller. It's not a jumpscare, from what I'm told. I'm in the same boat as you, jumpscares are terrible.
>>
>tfw no good lovecraftianesque games to play

Like indigo prophecy except without being totally disappointed by the latter half of the story.
>>
>>15318124
Watch gameplay for Amnesia I promise it isn't as good as people like to say. It's extremely predictable and the monsters are very cheesy.
>>
>>15318098
Outlast was pretty good.

And there's always The Evil Within to look forward to.

Not very many horror titles on console. Far easier to dev a game on pc than console, at least for indie developers.
>>
Call Of Cthulhu Dark Corners Of The Earth
>>
>>15318124

I honestly cannot recommend Amnesia enough. Wonderful game of exploring and puzzles, excellent pace, and the closest simulation possible to psychological torment available

>>15318143

There is a difference between chilling and watching a YouTube video and actually playing the game with headphones on in total darkness at 3 AM, trust me. Play the game properly and you will be a basketcase in no time. Bigger the screen the better, get good and immersed

Or just play Clive Barker's Jericho
>>
i played slender at a sleepover at my friends house and lets just say we didn't sleep!!! my friend made funny commentary like pewdiepie but lets just say it still scared us!!
>>
>>15318437
Get the fuck out of here with that bullshit

Must be 12
>>
File: saya.jpg (555KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
saya.jpg
555KB, 1366x768px
>>15318134
>>15318098

If you can stand a Japanese virtual novel, Song of Saya is deliciously lovecraftian, and is also one of the most legitimately disturbing things I have ever played. It is pretty short and falls more on the side of "visual novel" than game, however.
>>
>>15318217
Was going to say this, have you played it OP?

>>15318542
lol
>>
The PT/Silent Hills demo was fucking nerve wracking.
>>
File: 1411097271957.jpg (93KB, 500x667px) Image search: [Google]
1411097271957.jpg
93KB, 500x667px
>>15318098
I hated that gif because the puppy looked scared.

So here she is all comfy.
>>
File: silent-hills.jpg (124KB, 600x383px) Image search: [Google]
silent-hills.jpg
124KB, 600x383px
>>15318630
I really have high hopes for it
>>15318217
The Evil Within looks good but I'm not sure. It kind of looks like a gorier version of Resident Evil 4. But RE4 is one of my favorite games but it really ruined survival horror.
Outlast was really good actually. Not really unnerving. But really fast paced and stressfull.
>>
>>15318600
Highly recommended.

>>15318630
It was great though. That bit where she is just fucking standing on the balcony, sweet Mr. Skeletal that was spoopy.

Horror games seem set for a revival though, so don't lose hope yet OP. Between Alien: Isolation, The Evil Within, Kodoku, The Order: 1886, Silent Hills, and Until Dawn, future looks pretty bright for horror gamers.

Also there are plenty of great horror games already out there. The Fatal Frame and Siren series, Koudelka, Alan Wake, Alone in the Dark, Vampire The Masquerade, Eternal Darkness, Rule of Rose, Haunting Ground, Clock Tower, Parasite Eve, ObsCure, Manhunt, Condemned.
>>
>>15318098
I think the problem is the way they handle you as the character dying.

Amnesia is a great example. I was shitting my pants through that game, I get to the prison and out of nowhere a monster comes around the corner, so I run back down the pitch black stairs and slam the gate, and as I'm trying to put the lock back in he lunges from the darkness and smashes it back open.

It was a great and memorable moment, but after that the edge was gone. the entire rest of the game was actually kind of boring to me.

I had looked the monster in the eyes while he killed me, and so there was nothing left.

handling that a different way to keep the edge even after death would change a lot of horror games for me personally.
>>
>>15318134

Amnesia was definitely Lovecraftian. If you have a Gamecube, get Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem.

Avoid Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth. It's closer to an action/stealth game than a horror game. They really fucked that one up.
>>
>>15318098
I have the same problem. Here's a few that gave me le spooks still that haven't been mentioned yet

The Cat Lady
The Last Door

multiple people have recommended Eternal Darkness. That game in particular is my favourite and I highly suggest you play it, though it can be hard to find.
>>
>Silent Hill 2

Fuck off, Silent Hill 2 was a piece of shit and is cancer.
Fucking suffers from Resident Evil 2 syndrome, babby's first game in the series so they obviously think it's the best due to nostalgia goggles.
Also, this isn't /v/ faggot.
>>
>>15318542
>Falling for the bait this hard
>>
>>15319011
Resident evil 2 was good though? I fail to see your point.
Anything past re3 and past silent hill 2 sucked .
>>
File: 1273113221457.gif (32KB, 91x137px) Image search: [Google]
1273113221457.gif
32KB, 91x137px
I want to see a good horror multiplayer that isn't the old rehashed "shoot zombies with your friends!!!" type of bullshit. Horror multiplayers practically don't exist in the first place, sadly. Plus, this particular genre of video games makes it difficult to satisfy most people, which is why some just ignore it all together.
>>
>>15319170
Oh, come on. RE4 may have been different and by no means survival horror, but it didn't suck.
Anything after RE4, however...
>>
>>15319170
I didn't think SH 4: The Room was bad. Different, but not bad. Resident Evil 4 is great, 5 is playable, and Revelations is actually one of the better ones. Though personally I do think the original Resident Evil and Silent Hill 2 are still the best. Silent Hills does look to have a fuckload of potential, though.

>>15319173
Damned is pretty good, though quite expensive right now. Charnel is alright, it's a free one on Desura. It's free though, so it's not top of the line. Still quite fun though. No More Room in Hell, whilst fitting your bullshit bill, isn't bad. White Noise Online is also alright, and pretty cheap on Steam.

A bit irrelevant, but there are quite a few okay horror-themed MMO's, such as 7 Days to Die, DayZ, Nether, Rust The Secret World, which you could play with friends. That being said, I'm with you. I'd like to see it becoming more of a thing. Though if this resurgence in horror games is anything to go by, we may see some more soon. Not really horror, but Evolve looks pretty good for some Lovecraft monster madness.
>>
File: Dawning.gif (1MB, 193x135px) Image search: [Google]
Dawning.gif
1MB, 193x135px
>>15319229
Ughh please excuse all those thoughs, i'm not with it today.
>>
>>15318098
Alien:Isolation. Smartest bad guy in a video game to date. Check out the gameplay.
>>
I compose for horror games, and have played enough that I've become desensitised to all the ninny bullshit that passes for a good game. However, I actually really enjoyed Outlast and the Whistleblower DLC. Honestly the only game that ever actually had me jumpy after playing it. It didn't get old too quickly, and the fact that they had the DLC actually relate to the original game was fantastic, definitely not what I was expecting from a $6 game.
>>
File: 1412731607518.png (140KB, 1232x1255px) Image search: [Google]
1412731607518.png
140KB, 1232x1255px
>>15318098
I want a horror game like this
>>
>>15318124

I got through an hour or two of playing it before kind of forgetting about it. I'd pick it up again, except [whydon'tspoilersworkonthisboard]nothing happens for the entire first section of the game[/srsly] so I don't know if I can get as into it as the first time around.
>>
>>15319379

Never realized this song was about modern horror vidya.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_-QGNUYL5g
>>
>>15318098
>Why can't anyone make a good horror game?
Because it's easier and cheaper to follow a formula and make shooters that pander to 12 year old boys.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6p5AZp7r_Q
>>
>>15319402
Oh god please take that shit to /v/
>>
>>15319404

I thought they made a rather large point of wanting that woman dead.
>>
>>15319406
Exactly. Keep the drama in /v/.
>>
I highly recommend Penumbra. Don't play the "prequel" though, it's a shitty puzzle game with nothing to add to the story.
>>
I highly recommend Penumbra. Don't play the prequel, though. It's just a shitty puzzle game that adds nothing to the story. Sequel is okay I suppose, didn't care for the ending.
>>
>>15318098
op, do not listen top the amnesia fags.
amnesia fuckin' sucks.
outlast is worse.

you wanna be scared by a game?
i'm afraid you've hit what's known as the "fear-plateau".

you need an oculus rift from now on.

too bad all the "horror" games for the oculus are fuckin' shit.
>>
>>15319379
Yes. Silence. Sound is PARAMOUNT to horror games. Has anyone in this thread played the monastery? When you play that game with earphones the game is in complete silence and suddenly you'll begin to hear what sounds like something scratching in your ear. The sound quality is fucking perfect. It'll start to get louder and louder to the point where you just want to stop playing and then it will just stop. You start to hear a heavy breathing behind you and when you turn around there's nothing there. This is called terror. Not a forced jump scare.

>>15319011
Nobody gives a fuck what you think. Get the fuck out of here and go play slender. Fucking nigger. The adults are speaking.
>>
File: Knock Stock.jpg (61KB, 484x800px) Image search: [Google]
Knock Stock.jpg
61KB, 484x800px
>>15319792
Wow, what a valuable contribution.
>>
>>15319663
yes, this. i dislike amnesia but penumbra scared the shit out of me.
>>
The best horror in my opinion is the unpredictable horror.

Me and a few buddies are working on a psychedelic horror game that just takes place in a surrealist, minimalist black and white world and as the more you walk and do things the more glitchy the game becomes until it turns into this really bizarre bad acid trip with faces everywhere and fucking strange spooky things, and the more it progresses, the more the game goes from downright bizarre and strange, to fucking hellish psychedelic nightmare fuel.
>>
Ayyyylien Isolation is pants shittingly scary and can be used with occulus rift. I dare you faggot
>>
>being scare by games
>being scared with movies

what is wrong with you people? I love horror games, particulary the silent hill series, but you never feel "scared", there's never fear involved
>>
if you have a ds play a game called "nameless game", there's a fan translation somewhere, and it's a real different experience, check it out
>>
Don't play any games made in Unity that came out after the SCP games. People say that Slender ruined it all but it was SCP-087 that got the ball rolling.
>>
>>15319992
I don't get scared by movies but games scare me because you can actually interact with games m8. You get more immersed.
>>
All of the games you people are posting are making me want to Ebola cookies. Go play some Fatal Frame if you don't want to sleep tonight.
>>
Ao Oni and LSD Dream Emulator are the only games that have scared me.
>>
File: Lone Wolf Radio.jpg (660KB, 1850x2726px) Image search: [Google]
Lone Wolf Radio.jpg
660KB, 1850x2726px
>>15319981
Sounds interesting, I enjoy shit like that. Speaking of psychedelic trips >>15320044 LSD Dream Emulator is fucking messed up. Will it be free?

>>15319997
It is a good game, very meta. Wish there were more handheld horror games.

>>15320039
>>15318655
>>
>>15319173
honestly multiplayer horror is a very hard thing to do well and id rather have no one ever try it ever again than risk everyone try to do it because one franchise makes it work
i mean just look at how multiplayer horror helped ruin resident evil and dead space

besides left for dead 1 was decently scary at times with friends, especially witches
lfd2 ruined it though with all its fucking bright ass maps and melee spamming
>>
File: yumenikkiship.jpg (33KB, 324x244px) Image search: [Google]
yumenikkiship.jpg
33KB, 324x244px
Yume Nikki is a pretty fun brand of creepy. Something to play if you're in an /x/ish kind of mood but still want to sleep.
>>
File: 1410997716029.jpg (31KB, 360x360px) Image search: [Google]
1410997716029.jpg
31KB, 360x360px
>>15319792
>fear plateau
>tfw i cant even have nightmares anymore because theyre just fun now
>tfw im completely desensitized to everything but the most unexpected, horrificly violent, morbidly designed, semi-undead, spazoid, screaming, unkillable monstrosities
>>
File: 1405941893818.jpg (41KB, 361x473px) Image search: [Google]
1405941893818.jpg
41KB, 361x473px
>>15319991
>alien: isolation
>can be used with oculus
>mfw
oh i eagerly await that pant-shitting
>>
>>15318648
In the hype, I'd hurriedly pre-ordered The Evil Within. Although, now I'm sacred it'll let me down. No reviews up yet as of now, and that's a little worrying. Still looking forward to it, I suppose.
>>
>>15318098
>The last horror game that I played that actually made me afraid was Silent Hill 2.

I just said exactly the same thing to my wife about a half an hour ago. Spoopy.
>>
>>15318797
>Press any button to live

As a sufferer of mental illness, this hit me right in the feels.
>>
>>15318098
SCP 087B
http://www.scpcbgame.com/scp-087-b.html
>>
File: WIN_20141002_190140.jpg (137KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
WIN_20141002_190140.jpg
137KB, 1280x720px
>>15318635
thank u for posting it
>>
>>15318098
I hear Pathologic is pretty good, plus it's getting a remake pretty soon.
Although I've never actually played it.
>>
What's baby's first horror game? I need the easiest and lightest speppy game there is.

I'm a huge vagina, can't play horror games at all.
>>
I think a horror game can be good it just has to be done delicately.

A scary game can't rely on the same elements as, say, a scary movie. The mediums are totally different; a video game is by its nature interactive and in my opinion more immersive, and as a result I think has the potential to be much scarier than a horror movie.
>>
Can Action Horror be executed well again? The only thing I've seen come close is Dead Space. Its sequels make you feel a little too overpowered, and I guess another example would be Resident Evil 4. Can this be done again? Maybe The Evil Within will do this properly?
>>
>>15321380
Re4 is a good start I think.
>>
>>15321410
But that's just shooting zombies in the head. I want something spooky, like ghosts and shit. Something with a plot that mind fucks you.
>>
>>15321402

Action horror games, in my opinion, need to be done very carefully.

One major element of horror is the lack of power, or rather the inability to properly fight back against or defend yourself from whatever horror you are face. Not having power, being limited to running away or else being trapped is very powerful for generating fear.

In regards to action, striking the right balance between being powerful and powerless is essential, and as you said very few games seem to do it well. I think a good action horror game is possible but it has to be done carefully.
>>
Honestly I didn't find Silent Hill 2 to be *that* scary. For me it's more of a "nightmare fantasy" than poop-your-pants horror. It's 90% psychological, but the actual threats you face are relatively straightforward. In fact this is the problem I have with all Silent Hill games. You hear spooky sounds and see spooky things, but they're not the enemies you have to deal with, and they're not going to kill you. Don't get me wrong, Silent Hill 2 is still a classic for its story/setting, it's just not truly scary to me. In fact I would rate Silent Hill 3 as more frightening even if it was more flawed in other categories.

Amnesia was a lot scarier to me but it's the same deal. A lot of build up where you hear and see things, but the rare monsters are hiding behind random doors at random points. Most of the fear was not know if one of those ugly things was hiding in the room you wanted to go on into. The fact that they de-spawned if you ever got killed by them was weak.

Outlast scared me because you were often being hunted down while trying to get around. The threats were always imminent. Alien Isolation looks like it might be kind of spooky for this reason.
>>
>>15321424
Both DS and RE4 had regenerating enemies I noticed. The Evil Within has that hair and arms thing that seems unkillable in the demo (among others), so maybe overpowered enemies are a step in the right direction? Assuming that aren't overused.
>>
Horror is all about mindset. If you go into any horror media thinking "oh yawn I have nerves of steel come at me bro" you're going to be disappointed.
>>
Outlast got old pretty fucking quickly and the shitty plot didn't save it.
>>
ITT people pretend to know what Survival Horror means despite talking about SH2 like it is even though you're drowning in health items and ammo the entire game and get so many shotgun rounds you can actually kill enemies on the street you can just walk past.

>>15318124

Amnesia is one of the most boring, least scary horror games I've ever played.
>>
>>15322808

Outlast sucks because it forces you to run and hide from enemies you could easy beat to death with whatever debris you find.
>>
>>15321421
Well when you go into that territory you kinda jump into legitimately scary shit, just play Silent Hill 2 you vagina, or Fatal Frame, and Re4 has some pretty terrifying moments [spoiler]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RdzAW3mCOE[/spoiler]
>>
>>15323852

Fatal Frame and SH are not easy to play because if you're unfamiliar with that format you're not going to now how to progress the game.
>>
SCP Containment breach is a no brainer
>>
>>15323885
I sort of agree, but they aren't that hard, theres just a learning curve, and there are so many good games in that survival horror tank-control genre that you gotta start somewhere. Which is why RE4 is a perfect entry point to Survival Horror in general.
>>
>>15323917

None of these games are survival horror
>>
>>15323909
Fucking shit, screwed that up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpmE5Wy7YMU
>>
>>15323926
*tips le contrarian fedora*
>>
>>15324060

You could just not respond instead of shitposting. It's only making you look like more of an idiot.
>>
>>15324064
It's generally really stupid but I've got some legitimate spooks from Space Station 13
>>
>>15324144
whoops didn't mean to quote anybody
>>
Call of Cthulhu is is the greatest horrorgame ever made. End of fucking story.
>>
>>15324156

Why?
>>
>>15324165
Fair share of jumpscares, terror suspense, puzzle solving, Lovecraftian witchcraft themed. I'd write a longer reply but I am on my fucking phone. I can never praise that game enough and I played tons of horror games.
>>
>>15318243
/every x game thread
>>
>>15320195

I'm actually a skeleton.
>>
>>15319981
That sounds like it could be amazing, or incredibly try-hard boring.
>>
Like a couple of bro's said...
Any decent horror game utilizing:
1) Modern PC graphics
2) An Oculus Rift 2+
3) A half decent storyline
I would literally spend several hundred dollars to experience.
>>
>>15324211

There's a lot of art/indie games that try similar things and they're never any good.
>>
>>15324156
>>15324176
But the suspense is totally lost as soon as you pick up a gun, which isn't very far into the game. You just stealth your way through most of it and fire off a few shots when you're in a jam.

It's pretty good up until that point, admittedly. Could have been so much better without weapons.
>>
>>15324220

Not to mention the game barely works.

If you want to base a game purely on face value atmosphere and flavor text then Outlast would be a great game instead of a terrible one.
>>
>>15324230
The scares in Outlast quickly become predictable and boring, and horror games where you have no means to defend yourself aren't really good in the first place.
>>
>>15324236

My problem with Outlast is that the gameplay is boring and overly restrictive. You can't fight enemies because reasons. Plus there's almost no reason to ever use night vision or the camera except where it's forced on you.

Alien Isolation handles it better where all enemies are lethal, but some more than others. The xenomorph is basically avoid or die situation, humans are very lethal but easily killed, androids are easy to avoid, run away from and don't have ranged weapons but are very hard to kill if you even can.

You get quite a lot of supplies though so it's not a "survival" horror game (not that those exist other than shitty DayZ clones and inspired games) But it's what a non-action Horror game should be like in 2014.
>>
I'm actually working on a couple games myself, but I'm absolute shit at programming, so my games would be shit. But a lot of this boils down to horror theory-- I see a lot of "SH2! RE4!" being cried in this thread, but lets be honest.

Silent Hill two is unreliable and tame, relying on a cool ambience. Its like a painting someone did of a lake-side that a child scribbled their family onto with crayon or marker. The monsters stand out far too well, the noises don't blend, and the animations are just plain awful. Not to mention the voice acting.

RE4 is cartoonish at best, and while i appreciate its second person views that finally add the explorarion NEEDED in a horror game, its TOO LINEAR. You cant go outside and get lost. There are absolutely two ways you can go, forward or back, thats it. Its button prompts are terrible, and the only thing with an interesting "horror" aspect was the wriggling garbage bag in the dumpster outside the room with the first iron maidens. Otherwise, its just sort of what you've come to expect from the genre and the sci-fi-fantasy genre in general. Massive lake monsters, mutants, an entire country out to kill you while infected with some bullshit mutant virus, cults, giants, annoying women, buff-er rivals, mysterious helping figures... its tedious.
>>
>>15324256

I wouldn't call something people still regularly play just for the mechanics alone "tedious"
>>
>>15324256
Both games are outdated and are more like "arcade classics" than true horror anything anymore. SH2's contols DO unsettle to an extent, because I dont care who you are-- you will always fumble with controls like that. (forgot the exact name) But SH2 was simply sensationalized and its practically impossible for anyone to be scared of it anymore, what with all the pyramid-head fan depictions. PH was pretty much THE scarriest part of SH2, and that was dulled and then wiped away completely.
>>
>>15324282

SH2 controls fine, I played it a few months ago with no issues. Controls are very simple and easy to use. Compare it to something like GTA5 which uses every button and each of them tends to have multiple functions.

Only people who pretend to have played the game think PH is the highlight of it. You sound like you just watched the movie or think that you heard enough about the game that you can pretend like you played it.
>>
File: 1409518787834.jpg (73KB, 814x545px) Image search: [Google]
1409518787834.jpg
73KB, 814x545px
>>15323981
>playing shitty pewdiepie tier unity games
0/10 shit taste bro

OP, try playing Stalker SoC/CoP, the game is fun on its own and the lab levels and pripyat will clench your ass

Deus Ex (cyberpunk classic with baller soundtrack that doesn't get spooky as much as it gets thrilling.

Fatal Frame is nice, but if you don't like jumpscares it can get monotonous, though they arent as blunt as most horror movies

also
resident evil
clock tower
penumbra
heavy rain (is this horror? sad though)
Siren : Blood Curse (made by the original silent hill team)
>>
Because /v/ faggots would bitch about the "lack of gameplay" in anything that actually incorporates horror effectively.
>>
>>15326674
/v/ liked Silent Hills
>>
File: giphy.gif (415KB, 500x211px) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
415KB, 500x211px
The Silent Hills PT was awesome. It's subtle horror and unpredictable. It makes you audibly say "what the fuck". Hopes are high
>>
File: tumblr_lpz5kq91Co1qk9qb8o1_500.gif (482KB, 500x213px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_lpz5kq91Co1qk9qb8o1_500.gif
482KB, 500x213px
I'm gonna download Call of Cthulhu because no one on /x/ will shut the fuck up about it. This better be good.
>>
File: chihuahua.jpg (8KB, 300x242px) Image search: [Google]
chihuahua.jpg
8KB, 300x242px
>best gif
>>
>>15318098

this
>>
>>15318098
>Trusting /x/ for game recommendations.
Yeah, good luck with that.
>>
>>15318098
The Witch's House is a really nice spooks game although it's a bit jumpscary.

Amnesia does a good job with the atmosphere.

I'm playing F.E.A.R. and it's mostly just gunplay with some spookieness mixed in between shooting guys.
>>
>>15327765
It's a buggy mess, PC or otherwise.

But the aesthetics and adherence to the original material is pretty solid. It takes a lot from the story Shadow over Innsmouth, which is not a bad thing.
>>
Japanese horror usually skips the jump scare nonsense in favor of a more bizarre, looming danger, not counting garbage like The Grudge.

Siren: Blood Curse has very few jump scares, while still maintaining a very tense and creepy atmosphere. You have weapons, and can take out enemies, but you can never actually kill anything. Weaker enemies wake back up anywhere from 30-60 seconds later, special ones as little as 5 seconds later. It's usually best just to git gud at stealth and avoiding fighting, but it is at least nice you're not forced to run without defending yourself.
>>
>>15318098
The forest is a good creepy game. A few jump scares but that's mostly not seeing someone sneak up on you. Good graphics too.
>>
>>15327765
>>15327841
I played it on a computer that barely met requirements, and did not encounter any bugs at all. I know a person can be lucky with his experience of a game's bugs, but I find it hard to believe I wouldn't have experienced any at all if it were really so inordinately riddled with them
>>
Doom 1 and 2 are still the scariest games of all time
>>
File: skelplus.gif (11KB, 320x210px) Image search: [Google]
skelplus.gif
11KB, 320x210px
>>15327961
>he has never played Skeleton+
>>
File: 178.jpg (80KB, 600x820px) Image search: [Google]
178.jpg
80KB, 600x820px
>>15327914
I'm not even sure what to call The Forest. Mostly survival. Not so much horror. Without the cannibals The Forest would be the most boring piece of shit ever. I'll admit the cannibals do make you super paranoid and constantly looking over your shoulder. But honestly nature is scary enough. Why couldn't they just make a game purely about surviving in the wild. Where you're walking through the woods in the pitch dark with no sounds but crickets and the wind. And you swear you heard a twig snap behind you or you swear you heard the loud footsteps of something running up on you only to turn around to find nothing. I have a huge fear of the unknown.
>>
>>15328122
It's not easy to capture the same sensation in games, where you're not totally submerged in the environment.

Plus you can't rely entirely on false dangers, because when you're playing a game you cotton on to the lack of genuine threat pretty quickly and the fear subsides.
>>
>>15328245
Think of the possibilities though. Of course their would be actual enemies. But not cannibals who rely on planes crashing near them to eat human meat.

What I said was just a small idea for a game with huge possibilities. False dangers as you call them are used like a build up to create tension so when something does actually happen the player would panic and not know what to do. These types of elements would be most effective in an open world game with a certain goal but total player freedom. With 100% player-world relationship.

With games like the forest you don't rely on the enviroment while fighting enemies. The formula goes
1. Farm for ridiculous amounts of supplies
2. Fight cannibals
3. Carry supplies to build site
4. Fight cannibals
5. Repeat
You just expect to be constantly fighting something. There's no suspense here. That's just overall bad fucking design.
>>
>>15328122
>>15328397

It's a shittier DayZ

DayZ is either the best game or worst game depending on your tastes.
>>
anyone remember all the toymaker threads on this board a few months ago? That shit was creepy as the mystery was unfolding. Too bad the whole thing turned out to be a hoax. Kept me nice and spooped for a while
>>
File: image.jpg (20KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
20KB, 480x360px
>>15328438
Forgot pic
>>
12ing the penumbra series
>>
trilby notes has very good atmosphere.
>>
Dead Space 2
And Bioshock 3 was as pretty as it was scary, like holy crap I'm in a city of super religious cultists with spooky powers.
>>
File: t.jpg (58KB, 455x628px) Image search: [Google]
t.jpg
58KB, 455x628px
>>15328531
>>
File: Let me help you.jpg (555KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Let me help you.jpg
555KB, 1920x1080px
>Implying
>>
So, what IS a good horror game, then, /x/? What kind of game would make you piss yourself over its quality? Theres been a lot of game debate, but now lets go for a definitive answer to the question.
>>
File: Untitled23.jpg (616KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled23.jpg
616KB, 1920x1080px
>>15328839
A feeling of suspense, tension, and pressure, without using cheap jump scares. I mean jump scares are fine in small doses, just don't make it the main attraction.
>>
>>15319173
cry of fear isnt bad for this
>>
>>15328839
>>15328007
>>
>>15328803
Why are you so casual? You're just playing a game that caters to PDP fans.
>>
>>15327725
>>15327765
what vids are those from?
>>
>>15329568

What? Alien Isolation doesn't really have jump scares. It's pacing and atmosphere is closer to System Shock
>>
>>15330156
ha knew it was critikal
>>
Has any horror game ever been able to solve the problem with death? Every time you die it always removes the tension that's been built up. Worse, games that rely on some kind of mysterious creature usually give away the creature by explicitly showing it when it kills you.
>>
>>15328857
this
>>
>>15330208
>>15330156
hell yeah its cr1tikal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9tROAfORnw
>>
>>15319140
You've been double-rused!
>>
File: 1412895786798.png (3MB, 1385x1254px) Image search: [Google]
1412895786798.png
3MB, 1385x1254px
>>15318098
Alien Isolation consistently makes me yell in fright. The first couple of levels with the Alien were nothing but sheer terror. I actually had to pause the game a bunch of times and take breaks because my nerves were getting fried.

Shit's great
>>
>>15318098
S.T.A.L.K.E.R has excellent atmosphere which really sets up dread and can really creep you out at times.

I hate jump scares too, shits cheap.
>>
>>15332898
Agreed. A:I is fucking destroying my nerves. The dark and oppressive retro-Sci-Fi setting alone constantly creeps me out. Knowing the alien is always around makes it 10x worse -- hearing clanging in the vents above me, watching my motion tracker beep and blip as the dot moved erratically around me.

Fuck. It's like 2% jump-scares and 98% unrelenting tension. I have to stop every so often when I feel my chest tightening for a stress-induced coronary.
Thread posts: 138
Thread images: 29

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.