[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I just finished building my first PC. When I power it on,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: Sloth astronaut.jpg (53KB, 500x638px) Image search: [Google]
Sloth astronaut.jpg
53KB, 500x638px
So I just finished building my first PC.
When I power it on, everything in it seems to turn on. Except I can't see anything boot up in the monitor. It turns on for a bit, says no signal, then turns back off. What could I have done wrong.
>>
>>55324
Check if:
- the cable to the monitor is plugged
- the graphics card is working
- the graphics card is powered up correctly (appropriate power cables, enough power from the PSU)

Try plugging the monitor to the mainboard instead. If it works, it means the problem is with the video card (drivers, insufficient power, not plugged in into the PCI-E slot correctly).

A common newbie error is forgetting to plug in the power cable to the graphics card.
>>
>>55341
Also: post a picture of how it looks inside, list down your specs and what sort of cable are you using.
>>
File: 20160211_224322.jpg (5MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20160211_224322.jpg
5MB, 5312x2988px
>>55343
specs are
Asus z97-a
Intel i7 4790k
evga geforce 980ti
evga 650gs
16 gig ram
240 gig SSD and 1TB HDD

I tried plugging it in to the motherboard but it still wouldn't show anything.
It's a displayport cable
>>
>>55349
Nice machine and top fucking tier case.
>>
>>55402
Too bad I can't enjoy it because i don't know what the hell is wrong.
>>
File: 1448078451762.jpg (25KB, 353x330px) Image search: [Google]
1448078451762.jpg
25KB, 353x330px
>not working
>case uses lil nubbies for motherboard mounts

oh well
>>
Switch to DVI, if that doesn't work switch to VGA.
If none of that works try using an HDMI cable.
>>
>>55552
I tried HDMI but I don't have VGA or DVI cables.
>>
>>55349
Well that's a really fucking good rig. Everything's super solid, and the case and PSU are absolutely god tier.

Now:
- Check if the case cables (power, LED) are inserted correctly. Make sure you haven't flipped any + and - ones.
- You can also turn the PC on by removing the case cables and putting a screwdriver between the two "power" rods. Make sure the screwdriver is isolated (do not touch the metal part)
- Check if the motherboard is mounted correctly. It should not touch anything metal on the case.
- Check all the power cables for motherboard, CPU, GPU.

Also:
- remove the middle module for HDDs. You only need the bottom one, and removing the middle block will improve the airflow..
- you should be able to place the CPU cable behind the motherboard

You've said "everything in it seems to turn on". Which fans are spinning, what heats up? Do NOT touch anything while it's under power, turn it on for a while, turn it off, wait a minute, then examine the radiators (also north/south bridge of the motherboard).
>>
>>55324
I have a very similar build (same mobo, cpu, gpu, and an SSD/1TB HHD setup) and ran into the issue of my SSD not showing on my boot device list. For some reason the 97-a was only showing the HHD and trying to boot from that.which of course does not have my OS. I had to clear the CMOS to get to the BIOS and change my drives to different SATA ports.
>>
>>55570
I checked everything on here and everything was fine. I decided to check if everything was plugged into the PSU correctly, now it works. I'm guessing something wasnt plugged in all the way. Also, i took off the middle module for HDD and the CPU cable is just a bit short.

Thank you everyone for trying to help.
>>
>>55580
If your "boot device led" is on, then you are running into the same problem I had.

Clear CMOS (RTC RAM):
* Turn off computer and unplug the PSU.
* Remove the CMOS battery.
* Move the jumper cap from pins 1-2 (default) to pins 2-3. Keep the cap on
pins 2-3 for about 5~10 seconds, then move the cap back to pins 1-2.
* Reinstall CMOS battery.
* Plug in the PSU power cord and turn ON the computer.

Before turning the computer back on, ensure your SSD is connected to your SATA 6 port (the lowest SATA port on your mobo). Mine was plugged into SATA 1 and not showing on my boot device list. Boot into BIOS and go into advanced options to check your boot device list and ensure that your SSD (if it does indeed have your OS installed on it) is the second option behind your optical drive in the boot device list.

ONLY follow these instructions if your "boot device led" stays on at startup. If it is not, check to see if another led is lit on your mobo when you power up.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.