[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vip /vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Home]
4Archive logo
C Programing
If images are not shown try to refresh the page. If you like this website, please disable any AdBlock software!

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2
File: Untitled.png (10 KB, 634x568) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
Untitled.png
10 KB, 634x568
Hey guys, so i have this assignment that i cant figure out. I need to take two sorted arrays of type double and put them into another array of type *double. when i run the code it displays a bunch of -0.00's. Any help would be appreciated.
>>
when you run the code you don't get any errors / segfaults?

you only get arr3 full of -0.00's?
sounds like you're never saving the values from arr1 or arr2 into the array. or, arr1 and arr2 are full of 0's in the beginning (doubtful but worth checking)
>>
File: Untitled.png (10 KB, 677x343) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
Untitled.png
10 KB, 677x343
>>54478
well i know that arr1 and arr2 arent empty.
There are no errors or segfaults during compiling.

not really sure why it doesn't save the values.
>>
Doesn't look like you ever initialize k.
>>
>>54489
when i initialize j and k it compiles and then crashes.
>>
>>54487
one thing i see is when you malloc for the array you should say

arr3 = mal...

instead of

*arr3 = mal....

but also, i haven't written anything in C / C++ for a year...
>>
>>54489
another good point.
you should always initialize variables

>>54490
what is the line of code you used to try and initialize them?
>>
>>54494
Ive tried setting j and k to 0 in the line that i defined them as well as setting them after that in a seperate line. just crashes every time
>>
>>54491
tried this and it also crashes after compiling
>>
>>54496
try this verbatim:
int i = 0;
int j = 0;
int k = 0;
>>
>>54502
nope. crashes. thanks tho
>>
How is arr3 being declared before your call to merge?
>>
>>54505
Here is the code for the starting part:

#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>

void merge(double arr1[], double arr2[], double *arr3[], int sz1, int sz2, int *sz3);
void print_arr(double arr[], int sz);

int main(){
double v0[] = {};
double v1[] = {22.0, 30.1, 35.2, 49.2, 56.4, 65.1, 76.4, 79.6, 86.2, 88.9};
double v2[] = {4.6, 9.0, 13.0, 47.8, 66.9, 68.7, 71.0};
double v3[] = {80.1, 92.7, 97.4, 102.3, 105.0, 112.3, 121, 136.7, 163.4, 177.9};
int sz1 = 10, sz2 = 7, sz3 = 10, szres;
double *res;

printf("\nTEST 1\n======\n");
merge(v1, v2, &res, sz1, sz2, &szres);
print_arr(res,szres);
free(res);
>>
>>54504
which line does it crash on?
if you can't do int i = 0; something way bigger is fucked
>>
>>54507
You have res declared as a double*, but it's being passed to merge as a double**. And in merge it's being treated as if it were a double**.

Try changing res to a double**.
>>
>>54509
it crashes at the line *arr3[k] = arr1[i];
>>
>>54518
I got this tip from someone else the other day but the assignment says i cant change anything in main or the print function.
>>
>>54524
Oh OK. I was wrong anyway, since you're passing &res and not just res, so that's OK. But if it's crashing on the first assignment to arr3 in merge, there must be something wrong about arr3.
>>
>>54520
ok, go ahead and keep in the code where you initialize i j and k to 0 because if you don't you can't guarantee repeat performance. the code isn't crashing b/c you initialize i j and k to 0.

i also agree with >>54518
and to go back to my first post. the values from arr1 / arr2 are never getting into arr3...which could easily be explained by pointer mishandling
>>
I'm thinking it's maybe this syntax in merge:

*arr3[k] = ...

I think this is first getting arr3[k], and then dereferencing whatever that is. But you want to dereference first. Try changing that to:

(*arr3)[k] = ...

in all four places. I don't use the square brackets syntax for C arrays, personally I think it's confusing.
>>
O.K. so i switched the while loops to for loops and tired what >>54547 suggested. It now runs as if i still am using the while loops and did not have i,j,k initiallized.
>>
Well the assignment is due in 10 minutes. Thanks to everyone for trying. Really appreciate it. Even learned some stuff that will definitely help in the future.
>>
>>54552
since you've made a few changes at this, can you post your current code so we can reference that?
>>
>>54558
oh, never mind >>54559 then...
>>
>>54559
>>54560
Ha Ha. Sorry about that. The prof and TAs are pretty good for part marks. Plus I have the second question fully completed.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2
Thread DB ID: 503199

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vip /vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Home]

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vip /vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the shown content originated from that site. This means that 4Archive shows their content, archived. If you need information for a Poster - contact them.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content, then use the post's [Report] link! If a post is not removed within 24h contact me at [email protected] with the post's information.