[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This is a Sega Saturn Netlink matchup thread but VIA VOIP de

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 7

File: 250px-Sega-Saturn-NetLink.jpg (7KB, 250x167px) Image search: [Google]
250px-Sega-Saturn-NetLink.jpg
7KB, 250x167px
This is a Sega Saturn Netlink matchup thread
but VIA VOIP
details → http://www.dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8453
Anyone thinking of doing this in the future?
>>
>>4077862
Anything over 9600bit/s on a VoIP line is going to be useless -- VoIP are like really, really noisy analog lines to modems. I already tried to access some dial-up BBS that way, shit is tedious at 4800 bit/s andbecomes unbearable when trying to dial at 14400 bit/s, that's why I still have an analog landline for that kind of applications.
>>
>>4078176
but it works good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2qlxK1bI4Y
>>
>>4078234
Maybe the VoIP stuff he's using use a different protocol, but here using an analog modem over VoIP is trashy.
But anyway
>choosing the Celica
Mah boy!
>>
>>4078234
Good luck. I tried looking up getting voip for my home. Mostly I would send faxes but found out that they recommend limiting your fax machine to 2400
>>
>>4078259
you don't need a voip service
just setup your linksys voip to your xfinity or at&t router
>>
>>4077862
I'm not doing all that shit and the only Netlink compatible game I have (of the 5 total) is Bomberman.
>>
>>4078259
>but found out that they recommend limiting your fax machine to 2400
Yeah, cause the compression algorithm used in most VoIP protocols are only decent for voice. Analog modulated signals produced by modems can be fucked up when there's a high number of bit per modulation (the higher the more complicated the waveforms are).
>>
>>4078450
did you not check the link?
http://www.dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8453
it works absolutely fine with the exception bomberman having a lag problem
>>
>>4077862
I think something like this would be better left to emulation. Something that lets you connect with a button instead of that rat's nest.
>>
I don't know if this will work with the saturn but for the dreamcast a person used a rapsberry pi and a usb 56k modem to get the dreamcast online which he called DreamPi. There was another way too but it required a lot of extra hardware, time, and a bit of money to do it.
>>
>>4077862
>>
File: SF3_Synbios.png (370KB, 363x1000px) Image search: [Google]
SF3_Synbios.png
370KB, 363x1000px
>>4078798
yes?
>>
File: netlink.png (135KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
netlink.png
135KB, 1366x768px
>>
File: Untitled.png (150KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
150KB, 1366x768px
>>
File: Untitled.png (104KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
104KB, 1366x768px
>>
File: Untitled.png (105KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
105KB, 1366x768px
>>
File: Untitled.png (104KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
104KB, 1366x768px
>>
>>4078465
I don't have any of the shit they're talking about here. All I have is either an analog line or an all-in-one box that does ADSL, internet TV and VoIP telephone.
And I tried more than once to use a modem over a VoIP phone line, and every time I had really poor performances.
>>
ok i played duke 3d at 12:00 am and i tell you it ran at a good frame rate but usually after a long period of time in the game it starts to lag out
the chat for netlink is also surprisingly good
>>
>>4079108
So since I don't see a sip server, I guess you are not getting on the publicly switched telephone network?

This is some kind of direct ethernet tunnel between you and the other player?

That is probably why its fine then. You can select better voip codecs than are used commercially. Pots voice is only 64k if absolutely perfect, and 8k is reserved for framing and switching information the phone company uses.

The problem is every commercial voip service I found uses shit tier compression. If you can roll your own with some voip boxes that's cool.
>>
>>4078620
This pretty much.
>>
If you use a hotspot by AT&T you can play netlink anywhere
>>
>>4077862
kind of wish I had a netlink adapter -- I've got Netlink Virtual On, would be fantastic to get some matches on
>>
>>4078620
It's way more practical but there's just something about a small group of people still playing multiplayer through an incredibly specific and niche manner that hardly anyone even bothered with 20 years ago let alone today that I find very endearing.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.