[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is Mega Man 6 the best Mega Man game and the best 8-bit platformer

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 6

File: 200px-Megaman6_box.jpg (21KB, 200x283px) Image search: [Google]
200px-Megaman6_box.jpg
21KB, 200x283px
Why is Mega Man 6 the best Mega Man game and the best 8-bit platformer ever made?
>>
is it?
>>
File: Yamatoman.png (453KB, 639x838px) Image search: [Google]
Yamatoman.png
453KB, 639x838px
>>3826205
Yamatoman
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6ST9g8VAT8
>>
>>3826205
I dont know... You tell me
>>
They finally got Rush right in this one

Plus branching paths. It's fantastic.
>>
I get this seething anger any time someone suggests Mega Man 2 as the superior game... How? It's not a bad game but god damn are the weapons unbalanced and the WIly Stages are such a punch in the dick
>>
But Coca Cola Kid is the best 8-bit platformer, OP.
>>
I had a lot of fun with this game. It might not be as carefully thought out as other games in the series, but I don't think any of the others touch it in sheer fun factor.
>>
I'm always torn between this and MM4 being my favorite of the true 8-bit Mega Man games, though I enjoy MM9 and MM10 as well.

>>3828024
I kind of agree with this. It's worse when someone says MM3 is their favorite. I always try to like MM3, but fuck is it a rushed piece of shit deep down.
>>
I like 9 the best
please don't hate me /vr/
>>
>>3826205
Yeah now that i think about it. I still have a love affair with 8 but im probably the only one.
>>
6 is a great but it throws the balance out of the window. Like in 5, you can blaze through the entire game with the charge shot, and everything is built around it meaning it locks you out of other possibilities.

On top of that, most of the bosses are super lame and boring to fight, and it's also the case for some enemies. Again, that's flaws from MM5 which carried on to 6, though it's not as bad as 6 as it is in 5.

The Jetpack is great but it's not nearly used as much as it could be. Also I kind of prefer MM10 Bass' Jetpack, although its fuel is used up very quickly.

Love the forking level design though. I even included some in my soon-to-come MM5 romhack.

>>3828589
9 is the best.
>>
>>3828589
9 is a pretty well made game though.
Enemies are good, stage gimmicks are good, music is good, weapons are overall balanced and useful, level design is very well thought.

Plus the game is probably the hardest of all the classic series. A very exciting and replayable game.
>>
File: 1355919070310.png (2KB, 165x182px) Image search: [Google]
1355919070310.png
2KB, 165x182px
>>3828715
>>3828589

You shouldn't conform to this board's opinions. They overly hate on N64 and deny that Mega Man 9 and 10 are great games. They jerk off to Mega Man 2. Just hold onto your own opinions you will be all the better off for it.

Mega Man 10 in particular has my favorite Wily Castle in the whole series but people on this board accuse Inticreates of "having no idea what they're doing". It's ridiculous as the game easily defines what Mega Man is at its core. 9 and 10 channel 2's energy and take it up a notch. They're better or at the very least just as good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tApJnJEPv5A
>>
>>3828973

I didn't feel 10 as much. The weapons in particular felt really lame compared to 9.

That first Wily Stage was amazing though.
>>
File: 992screenshot3.png (4KB, 256x224px) Image search: [Google]
992screenshot3.png
4KB, 256x224px
>>3829170
I too at first was disappointed by 10. For one thing, it doesn't have MM9's rythm, it's not as fast paced and there more 'breaks' in the flow of the gameplay.

But I gave it a second chance recently and it really is great once you get to know it. Also it is worth mentionning that the DLC stages are really worth it, and fighting the GB game bosses and using their weapons in time&trial and challenge mode too.
Bass has fantastic gameplay too. It almost feels like a different game, unlike Proto Man.

MM9 is still superior though. Gameplay is just perfect, and the thing that makes 9 and 10 really enjoyable is the absence of NES lag and flickering.

>>3828559
>I kind of agree with this. It's worse when someone says MM3 is their favorite. I always try to like MM3, but fuck is it a rushed piece of shit deep down.

Try the "improvement" romhack. It fixes some glitches, lag, flickering, adds an intro, etc sadly it also has pointless other stuff like getting rid of the wait time when picking up HP or moving the life bar of bosses to the right of the screen.

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/992/
>>
Six is my personal favorite. The music is fantastic, the environments are beautiful, the robot masters have some of the greatest designs in the series, and the Rush transformations are hella tight. In the end though it's a really flawed game with some bad balancing, sub-par boss battles, and meh level design. It's a shame because if they had spent more time making the game play a bit better it'd easily be the best in the series, and arguably the best in the franchise.
>>
Of the nes games I rate them like this
4>2>6>1>3>5

Overall though I say MM&B or 9 are the best of the series.

>>3828589
9 is phenomenal though, no one with a brain could dislike it.
>>
>>3829227

The DLC is a bit too punishing for me. As an MM9fag that's saying a bit.

Bass is rad though. Getting Protoman for free in 10 was also nice.
>>
File: scarface.jpg (41KB, 720x405px) Image search: [Google]
scarface.jpg
41KB, 720x405px
>>3826205
Every time I see a thumbnail of that box, I think it says "MEGA MANG"
>>
>>3826205
It's not but its pretty decent
>>
>let's rank Mega Man games AGAIN!
>>
I think almost all of us can agree that 5 is the worst.
>>
File: 1471456771987.png (158KB, 504x558px) Image search: [Google]
1471456771987.png
158KB, 504x558px
>>3831468
But it's still a good game, and fun to play.
Even the worst of the 6 on the NES is good, and that says a lot about the quality of good ol' classic MegaMan.
Think i'll play through MM5 tomorrow night while havin' some drinks, tomorrow's pay day.
>>
>>3831468
>>3831474
Try this if you want to give MM5 a new breeze http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3343/

Shameless self ad.
>>
>>3829265
that's fucking great dude, now i can't unsee it
>>
>tfw I like 7 the best

Most satisfying final boss in the series.
>>
If we're being purely objective Megaman 9 is probably the best in the classic series. The real question isn't whether 9 is better or worse than 1-6 though, is it fair to compare it to 1-6? 9 was made at a different time when platforming had been well established and how to make one well is down to a science. And although it looks like a NES game it certainly isn't programmed like one
>>
>>3831635
Sure, when 9 was made they had a lot more perspective and hindsight on things.

But I think the thing is that they were made under different circumstances. MM5 and 6 were made quickly, the SNES was already released.
Honestly they can be considered "quick cash in", IIRC MM5 was made mostly by people with little experience.

9 was a come back, they had to hit hard, and the very promises of it forced the devs to sit and think "what made MM good?". For 5 and 6, I don't think they even had that luxury.
>>
>>3829227
>adds an intro
That's conspicuously silent in the middle because it's too long.
>>
>>3831635
MM9 is a complete mess with Inti Creates' typical bad design.
>>
This thread made me re-check MM6, and there are so many things I never realized before

- there is some crazy scrolling going on. Like for instance in Yamato Man stage, at the end when you go to the exit for the beat letter, just before the spring enemies, the hole actually brings you back on the other path

- that hidden room with Proto Man giving an item

- re-visiting the 4 stages with Beat letters and they have different palettes

- you can set the direction of Knight C. weapon when firing it

How did I not know / forget all this?
>>
>>3828024
I like 2. Aside from the Wily stage where you have to use crash bomb the exact number of correct times. What other stages punch your dick?
By unbalanced, do you mean the superiority of Quick Boomerang / Metal Blade and the garbage of Time Stopper?
>>
I really like this one for all the gimmicks. You have Beat, the charge shot and the rush adapter. It rivals Mega Man X in that regard.
>>
>>3831826
Because 6 is from 1993.

That's its main problem.

People played doom, daytona usa and tekken shortly from there.
>>
Flame Man's theme is my absolutely favorite piece of video game music ever.
>>
>>3834269
Not to mention MMX barely a month later.
>>
>>3831594
he's a fucking broken pain in the ass but my god it's such a cathartic rush to actually beat him
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.