[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Retro DB/DBZ Games

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 23

File: Dragon_Ball_Z_Legends_front-Jap.jpg (30KB, 350x334px) Image search: [Google]
Dragon_Ball_Z_Legends_front-Jap.jpg
30KB, 350x334px
Let's talk about the old Dragon Ball (Z) games here. Who's your favorite fighter and villain?

Also, who was really to blame for Cell becoming perfect and absorbing 18? Krillin or Vegeta?

Oh, and which Saga did you enjoy the most?
>>
>>2959014
>Let's talk about the old Dragon Ball (Z) games here.
OK.

>>2959014
>Who's your favorite fighter and villain?
>Also, who was really to blame for Cell becoming perfect and absorbing 18? Krillin or Vegeta?
>Oh, and which Saga did you enjoy the most?

(when do we get to the games part?)

That said, Legends was always my favorite.
>>
>>2959014
>That said, Legends was always my favorite.

Same here.
>>
>>2959014
Honestly? The amount of good DBZ games is in the single digits, most of them on the PS2.

Budokai 3 and Tenkaichi 2 are firmly at the top.
>>
>>2959440
BT2 > B3 > Legends > Hyper Dimension > Legend of the Super sayan or whatever the fuck (that one card-based RPG for SNES)

There you have it. The complete list in proper order of all good DBZ games.
>>
>>2959439
Fucked up, who are YOU quoting?
>>
>>2959448
I think it was meant to be a joke. Sometimes people will ask that when they see someone misuse green text.
>>
>>2959452
>green text
>not le meme reaction faces
>>
Super Butouden 2 is my all time favorite DBZ game.
It has the best gameplay out of any Butouden game (maybe Butouden 3 was about the same in terms of gameplay though), a great interactive story mode with multiple paths and a secret ending (shat my pants the first time I heard KAKAROTTO...), one of the best soundtracks in DBZ games, and it's fun as fuck if you've got a friend who also knows how to play this game. Dashing all around the stage on air or on foot, charging ki, pulling off meteor combos and having superpower clash is exceptionally fun, although you have to learn and memorize the commands on how to perform the different ways to repel your opponent's attacks. Managing your ki bar is more important than your HP bar in this game.
I love the Butouden games and Buu Yuu Retsuden on the Genesis because they are unique fighting games that let you fight at a distance with the split-screen mechanic, and out of all these games, Butouden 2 was the most polished one.
It even has a code to unlock turbo speed for those who feel the characters move too slow.
Shin Butouden on Sega Saturn is also pretty good, but I was disappointed in it because it had the potential of being even better than Butouden 2, but it wasn't, my main grip with that game is just how small stages are, there are almost no instances where you can dash around and chase your opponent like on SB2, and there is also no story mode. You'd think, for a series called Super Butouden ("Super Battle Stories"), they would all have a story mode, but only Butouden 2 does. Anyway Shin Butouden is probably the 2nd best Butouden game after 2, and the good things on it are the large roster and the Mr. Satan mode.

After Butouden 2, I like the Famicom and Super Famicom RPGs (the card-based games), they are fun.
The 2 Goku-den games on SFC are also fun, a mix of quiz games with weird rock-paper-scissor battles, great music in those games as well.
Legends on PS1/Saturn is great as well.
>>
DBZ Legends was probably the DB game I played the most, because I only had a PSX with 3 games on it - Evil Zone, DBZ Legends and Jumping Flash. For a whole year. That said, I've managed to master most of the combat system and story mode without any internet (it wasn't as widespread on 2000). I don't know if I could do the same thing today...

Anyway, did you know that some scenarios play differently based on who you call to fight? And that, if you fight 3-on-1, the lone fighter has an enormous advantage?

From what I recall:
- If you call Goku during the first stage, the music changes to:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vNpzwC5qR8
- If Kuririn dies against Freeza, Goku turns into a Super Saiyajin for the rest of the battle.
- In the fight against the Androids, Android #16 only comes to fight if you bring Goku in. If you call Goku and later dismiss him, #16 also removes himself from battle.
- In the fight against Cell, if you bring just Goku or Gohan (not both, no other characters), only Cell will come to fight. If anyone else is present, you'll have to fight 7 Cell Jrs. (very time-consuming).
- During the fight against Kid Boo, if Goku receives two attacks, he returns to his normal form.
- In the same fight, if Vegeta receives two attacks, the Fat Boo will come to help you.

What I liked the most was that the characters actually commented on how the fight was going (if you press Select). At first I thought there were just a few pre-recorded lines, but they actually react to people dying, people being removed, connecting attacks and even specific pairs. I've looked later into the files with PSOUND (a program to extract sounds/music from PSX games), and indeed, there are at least a thousand voiceovers just for this portion of the Story Mode.

Lastly, I only knew recently that the Sega Saturn had an European release.
>>
>>2959695
That's the one for the Genesis right? Fuck yeah I played the shit outta that one too.
>>
>>2959749
The Genesis one is Buu Yuu Retsuden.
Butouden 1, 2, 3 are for the SNES.
>>
>everyone's talking about the fighting games
>not mention of the famicom jrpg-esque games

o ok
>>
>>2959228
>>2959409
>Legends was always my favorite.
Good taste.

>>2959440
>PS2
not /vr/
Take that shit back to /v/. or do the universe a favor and go fuck yourself in the ass with a chainsaw.
>>
Super Butouden 2 and 3 are my choices. If 3 had a story mode about the whole Buu saga it'd be my choice as the gameplay is slightly better than SB2. Hyper Dimension is pretty competent about controls and technically is very good, but it never "clicked" me. I wish they had the Genesis "Retsuden" roster, I miss Kuririn in most retro titles.
>>
>>2959749

what >>2959752 said.
I mentioned the Genesis game on my post though.
>>
>>2959741
>you'll have to fight 7 Cell Jrs. (very time-consuming).
My god, I just realized that's... GLORIOUS! The developers really didn't give a fuck back then, did they? You wanted a DBZ game? Well then you're gonna get a DBZ "long as fuck battles"-simulating fucking game.

Didn't each one of them take like 3 super moves, or hits, to kill? God that's fucking based.
>>
File: dbclassement22.png (3KB, 256x224px) Image search: [Google]
dbclassement22.png
3KB, 256x224px
Gekishin freeza on the nes is pretty cool or the other saiyan saga one.
>>
>>2959754

>>2959446
>Legend of the Super sayan or whatever the fuck (that one card-based RPG for SNES)

>>2959695
>I like the Famicom and Super Famicom RPGs (the card-based games), they are fun.
>>
>>2959754
Super Saiya Densetsu (the SNES one) is a remake of the first 2 games, isn't it? I kinda liked the series in the NES, but the formula was becoming stale by the Android arc. I didn't play all of them, but that original story (Hatchhyack) comes from one of them, right?
>>
>>2959767

You mean the story for the OVAs (the "plan to destroy all saiyajin" one)?
Yes, it's actually originated on a Famicom RPG called DBZ Gaiden, it played like the previous card-based games, but it had an original story.

The OVA even has parts taken directly from the Famicom game (you see the characters traveling around the map field)
>>
>>2959761
Yes. Every character needed to receive 3 attacks to die (generally). However, if there was a huge power disparity between the characters, you would need 4 or even 5 attacks. Good thing that kind of disparity usually only happened in Versus Mode.
>>
>>2959765
i don't read the threads i just bitch
>>
>>2959767
>12
>just getting into DBZ not long ago
>pretty much at the peak of my interest in the show and anything else in life in general before or since
>find out there's this RPG video game of it
>and i can play it right now for free on my emulator
>practically so excited i unleash my inner autism's hidden super sayan mode

>find out i can't read that shit and i have no idea what's going on or how to do anything
Pretty fun times actually. I went on to play it through multiple times, with all the best party configurations, and developed save states with good cards at all the key boss battles so I could replay them again whenever I want. Mainly Nappa and Vegeta, Freeza forms 1 final and right after Goku went SS, and at SSJ Vegeta. Sadly I lost them all at some point.

It was always fun to try and defeat Freeza without going super sayan.

But god, that music. Now I feel bad for my parents who had to listen to my annoying kid self playing that shit for hours at a time. This was back in the days when of having a single, shared family PC in the living room or wherever, you see.
>>
File: dbzkal8qd.jpg (2MB, 1600x1039px) Image search: [Google]
dbzkal8qd.jpg
2MB, 1600x1039px
I miss old Dragon Ball art. Both Toriyama's and the Toei promo art.

I miss actual oil painting instead of digital.
>>
>>2959790
I miss new wave, and hearing the scratches on my long plays - or just the parts that sound OK.
>>
>>2959963

Vinyl is all the rage now, lots of bands are editing their works on vinyl, and many artists are re-editing their old works as well. I want to get the Peter Gabriel LP reprints.
>>
>>2959982
If the album isn't engineered for the medium it sounds like shit, I've bought a few indie releases over the years and they sound terrible.
>>
>>2959790
grampa please, 3d rubber-made DBZ models are where it's at, nobody wants your clean, sharp vivid 2d artstyle.
>>
>>2959790
>Son Gokou
I never understood why all the 90s Japanese merchandizing spelled his name like that. I can understand the reasoning for it, but I thought his name was pronounced Go-koh for a while.
>>
File: DragonBallBanDai.jpg (54KB, 736x549px) Image search: [Google]
DragonBallBanDai.jpg
54KB, 736x549px
>>2960153

Same, I don't even get the reasoning for it, it's Gokuu, "Gokou" doesn't make sense, maybe it's just a bad romanization that stuck.

By the way anyoenr emember these figures? I still have the Yamcha one.
>>
>>2960164
I'm guessing they spelled it "Gokou" since the "-kou" is like the "cou" in cougar.
>>
>>2959772
OVA was technically a video guide for the game.
>>
File: zz1goku.gif (426KB, 497x373px) Image search: [Google]
zz1goku.gif
426KB, 497x373px
>>2959963
Wow, never thought I'd catch a Good reference on /vr/, much less in a Dragon Ball thread.

I bet we'd get along, anon.
>>
>>2960164
>Same, I don't even get the reasoning for it, it's Gokuu, "Gokou" doesn't make sense, maybe it's just a bad romanization that stuck.

It's bad Romanization. Same way Krillin (kuririn) was turned into Klilyn.

I think the root of it comes from the Romanization differences between katakana and hiragana. Long vowels are written as "kou" in one, "ku-" in the other. So maybe whoever transliterated the names thought that, since it is katakana, the correct long vowel term would be "kou". Even though "kou" would be a long form of "o", not the long form of "u".
>>
>>2959014
Back in the day, Me and my friends used to call this game "DBZ The 4 sagas", we played the NES, SNES and PS games and this one was the best of them all, we played this game more than any other game in my library.
>>
I don't get why people hate Ultimate Battle 22 so much and then praise Final Bout when it has all the same issues but worse. Is it because UB22 got it's US release in 2003?
>>
Anyone else love this game?

I loved how it had a lot of characters and fights, and it was very faithful to the anime.
>>
>>2960382

>people praise Final Bout

in what bizarre alternative universe does that happen?
>>
>>2960506
Elaborate on the gameplay, please?
>>
>>2960536
It's a bit love or hate to be honest.

It's another card game based Dragon Ball game, except it's all about 1v1 fights instead of a RPG. You have offensive cards, support cards, defensive cards, shit like that. It's actually pretty fun.

Also after you finish it you can play again and unlock all the villains to play. It was a wet dream for me to play the story mode as Cell or Freeza.
>>
no me dolió no me hizo ni cosquillas este adiós no me afecto,al final yo creo
que me hiciste un gran favor no me dolio hasta el momento aun me late el corazón no se traumo yo que pense que moriria sin tu amor no me extraño no era una relación estable entre los dos fue tu traicion la mejor solución para esta situación no me dolió que me dijeras que no sentias nada por mi porque tal vez fue mas poquito lo que yo sentia por ti no me dolio tu despedida,nunca deje de respirar creo que te fuiste justo a tiempo no te voy a necesitar no me dolió que me engañaras no me hizo daño tu traición no fuiste lo que yo esperaba hoy te lo digo sin rencor no me dolió no me dolio hasta el momento aun me late el corazón no se traumo yo que pense que moriria sin tu amor no me extraño no era una relación estable entre los dos fue tu traicion la mejor solución para esta situación no me dolió que me dijeras que no sentias nada por mi porque tal vez fue mas poquito lo que yo sentia por ti no me dolio tu despedida,nunca deje de respirar creo que te fuiste justo a tiempo no te voy a necesitar no me dolió que me engañaras no me hizo daño tu traición no fuiste que yo esperaba hoy te lo digo sin rencor no me dolio
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (18KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
18KB, 480x360px
>>2959014

>DBZ Legends

I never really figured out how the heck this game worked. I only really tried it once or twice, though, and never very seriously. It was pretty cool back then, though, being such an old game yet had such an all-inclusive roster.

For old DBZ games, Legendary Super Warriors is definitely my favorite. I can still remember how the battle music goes, just because I spent so much time playing it. It was really cool to be able to pick the villains and level everyone up and stuff. It was a surprisingly content-rich game.

Now that I think of it, why the heck were so many old DBZ games card-based? So weird.
>>
File: dbz9-10.jpg (22KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
dbz9-10.jpg
22KB, 320x240px
>>2960569

Desde que me dejaste La ventanita del amor se me cerró Desde que me dejaste Las azucenas han cambiado su color Desde que me dejaste La ventanita del amor se me cerró Desde que me dejaste No hago más que extrañarte corazón. Tengo el alma en pedazos Ya no aguanto esta pena Tanto tiempo sin verte Es como una condena. Es tan bonito tener tu cariño Yo no soy nada si no estoy contigo Y tenerte por siempre conmigo Siento frió sin ti en las noches de frió
>>
We can all agree that Frieza > Cell > Saiyan > Buu, right?
>>
>>2960569
>>2960583
please get the fuck out of here with your taco burrito shit
>>
File: tumblr_nlnnl3gmwF1upn6jso1_1280.jpg (160KB, 592x1280px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nlnnl3gmwF1upn6jso1_1280.jpg
160KB, 592x1280px
>Kid Buu
>literally nothing left in him but evil
>Goku asks for him to be revived without the evil

>Cell
>robot programmed to be evil
>left in hell

Why is this okay?
>>
>>2960618
Cuz Fat Buu did literally nothing wrong.
>>
>>2960618
Krillin got 18 so it still works out
>>
File: Dragon-Ball-Z-Super-Butouden.png (10KB, 256x224px) Image search: [Google]
Dragon-Ball-Z-Super-Butouden.png
10KB, 256x224px
>>2960608

Saiyan>Cell>Freezer>Buu for me

but actually, wouldn't Freezer and Saiyan be part of the same saga? It's like dividing the Android and Cell in 2 different sagas.

Also, how would you divide the original DB sagas?

Pilaf, Red Ribbon, Piccolo Daimaou and Ma Jr?

Man, the martial arts tournaments parts in original DB were awesome, I missed those on DBZ. the 35th one was too short and got interrupted, although it had a promising start.
>>
>>2960640
Nah, Saiyan was when Vegeta was the villain, while Freezer starts when Vegeta is defeated and sides with Goku.
>>
>>2960640
>but actually, wouldn't Freezer and Saiyan be part of the same saga? It's like dividing the Android and Cell in 2 different sagas.
that's exactly how it's divided though? i like the saiyan saga and android saga the best
>>
>>2960640
Android is a sub-arc of the Cell Saga.
>>
File: 1371867931839.png (173KB, 481x357px) Image search: [Google]
1371867931839.png
173KB, 481x357px
>>2959767
Wait there was actually a game for the Android saga?
>>
I used to get Cell confused with Piccolo. I was a retarted kid.
>>
>>2960684

Yeah, DBZ III.
It starts with SSJ Goku fighting Freezer in Namek, then it has some kind of made up story about Cooler invading earth while Goku is in outer space, then you fight the androids and imperfect Cell at the end, but it doesn't cover perfect cell because there wasn't any more source material at the time the game released.
>>
>>2960684
Yeah, the "card game" series goes as follows:
- DBZ: Kyoshu Saiyajin (NES): Saiyan Saga
- DBZ II: Gekishin Freeza (NES): Namek Saga
- DBZ Super Saiya Densetsu (SNES): a remake of the two games above.
- DBZ III: Ressen Jinzouningen (NES): Android Saga, with a bunch of filler. It doesn't end the saga itself, because the manga was still running.
- DBZ Gaiden: Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans (NES): a completely original plot, which was the basis for that Playdia game and also the OVA included in Raging Blast 2.

Of note is the fact that DBZ III was actually released after Super Saiya Densetsu, well into the SNES' life cycle already.
>>
>>2960382
Final Bout was "praised" because it brought us a glimpse of Dragon Ball GT, before it aired on TV. Even then, it was a bad game with the sluggish and broken gameplay (some characters have infinites, you can't do anything even if you're blocking).
>>
>>2960736
>DBZ Super Saiya Densetsu (SNES): a remake of the two games above.
this is the one you want to play. its got an overworld unlike the first two
>>
>>2960736
Super Saiya Densetsu also removed some plot from the first two games, namely the filler fights with movie villains. DBZ I had a fight against Garlic Jr., and DBZ II had that anime filler (Fake Namek) and some nonsense plot about Goku stopping in Planet Kanassa before going to Namek.
>>
>>2960515
Whenever someone criticizes it hear people talking about how it was "Butoden but 3D" and "It's better than Ultimate Battle 22", even though UB22 does a better job at being a Butoden game on PS1. It's not as good as the SNES games, but I still think it's a decent follow up to the SNES games
>>
>>2961471

Never heard anyone claiming it's butouden on 3D, the majority agrees that Final Bout is a slow mess that's not fun to play.

Dat intro though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsskkT3HJwU

UB22 isn't much better though, and to be a Butouden it'd need at least the split screen, but I guess I'd rather play UB22 than Final Bout. The roster is gigantic at least.
>>
>>2959982
I just want to say this is a really loving picture and I wish I could draw that well.
>>
I had a 10-in-1 cart I got from Mexico and it had Super Butoden 2 on it. Such a cozy soundtrack.

https://youtu.be/-_X4lXT9Y1g
>>
>>2959014
Loved legends. It was easy tho.
>>
>>2960506
I never beat this game, I got stuck really early on in the game and haven't played it in a couple of years, wtf I have it CIB, I remember the game was good but the music during battles was fucking annoying, just mute it and it cool.
>>
File: DBZ_Game_2_26.gif (4KB, 160x144px) Image search: [Google]
DBZ_Game_2_26.gif
4KB, 160x144px
There was a period in my life when I played only DBZ games. I've played them all, the NES RPGs, the arcade-onlys etc.

The best one was pic related, for the game boy.
>>
>>2960201
Holy shit, you caught my reference.

Yeah, I bet we would fellow Canadanon.
>>
>>2959790
I do too, I would spend hours browsing through sites that collected them back in the day. Pick up the art book VIZ released a few years ago it has a ton of Toriyama DB art. I don't think the new DB art compares, but I still like it.
>>
Best character roster.
>>
>>2963229
I love how the main character is front and center like it should be. Satan is the best.
>>
>>2963229

MAXU POWA--KAMEHAMEHA
>>
>>2963229
I fucking hate Mr. Satan.
>>
File: DragonballZangya1384235995460.jpg (108KB, 600x667px) Image search: [Google]
DragonballZangya1384235995460.jpg
108KB, 600x667px
>>2963229

It doesn't have best girl though
>>
>>2963229

Based as fuck for having Super Buu playable. Shame the game was so shit.
>>
>>2964484
Once you learn how to play it's actually pretty fun.
>>
File: $_57.jpg (349KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
$_57.jpg
349KB, 1600x1200px
>>2959741
Dragon Ball Z was literally everywhere in some European countries (mine included). That's why Europe (mostly because of France I believe) got a bunch of old DBZ games, like Buu Yuu Retsuden, Legends, Ultimate 22 and Final Bout. I didn't find out until a couple of years ago that Hyper Dimension and the 3 Super Butouden actually have PAL releases too.
>>
>>2964514

You would probably need another person to play it with, right? The AI loved to read inputs.
>>
>>2964768
France was the country that sold the most manga outside Japan in the 90's. It was damn fucking popular.

Countries like Germany were rather average, things like DBZ only came on 2000, 2001 after the original Dragonball ended. Before all of that, we only had Sailor Moon IIRC.
>>
File: clubnintendo3.jpg (139KB, 750x1071px) Image search: [Google]
clubnintendo3.jpg
139KB, 750x1071px
Super Butouden 2 almost got a US release. It was being localized by Ban Dai under the name of simply "Dragon Ball".
It had the name changes from the european release (Broly is now "Tara", etc), but unfortunately it got cancelled, I guess due to Dragon Ball still not being popular in the US.
In latin america, it was already pretty damn popular so it was being hyped, this scan is from a latin american Club Nintendo magazine that even dedicated the cover to the game. Not too bad though because thanks to bootlegs and piracy I had already played Super Butoden 2 by that point, but it would have been cool to get an official release, especially since it was so close to being done.
>>
>>2960212
A lot of localization was first made in French back in the days. I guess it's easier to translate from French to English than from Japanese. It's just my theory though.
>>
>>2964912
Canadanon here.

French manga is the reason I had finished reading DBZ in 1996. I was a bit surprised that it just suddenly took off in the early 2000's and people were complaining that they had already watched the series up until halfway through the Frieza arc like three times waiting for 'new' episodes.
>>
>>2965332
see
>>2964912
>>
Piccolo Jr. Saga is still the greatest thing to come out of any Toriyama work.

Also DBZ has too much fucking filler and yelling.
>>
>>2959014
ultimate battle 22 and final bout were awesome. they were my first import purchases
>>
>>2967325
Dragon Ball Kai gets rid of a lot of the unnecessary stuff and keeps the narrative a lot tighter and more interesting, might be worth a watch if you're willing to try again.
>>
>>2960164
I still have that toy, after all this time is my favorite one.
>>
File: cell.gif (82KB, 427x355px) Image search: [Google]
cell.gif
82KB, 427x355px
>>
>>2960164
good god! i do have that goku figure somewhere in storage. wow thanks for reminding me this takes me way back!
Thread posts: 89
Thread images: 23

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.