[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How in the fuck was I supposed to know to do this. ??you can't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 16

File: 134202.png (234KB, 250x218px) Image search: [Google]
134202.png
234KB, 250x218px
How in the fuck was I supposed to know to do this. ??you can't tell me you figured it out yourself without being a liar
>>
I beat Super Metroid when I was like 7 and I don't even remember this part so it must not have been very hard.

Congrats, you're worse at video games than a 7 year old.
>>
Actually, I can
>>
>>2948481
>>2948482
Liars , there is literally no hint. nothing. nothing that would lead someone to plant a bomb in that room. You all used guides and are trying to take the credit.
>>
Pff, that was easy. I knew what to do at first glance. Because I played Zero Mission before and I used a guide for that game. HAH!
>>
You get to a point where you just try everything even if it doesn't make sense. Eventually something happens.

That part of playing games was always pretty shitty.
>>
>>2948487
>no hints
>literally a platform at the top of the screen telling you that you can access it somehow
>>
>>2948487
You need to enter this part of Maridia after already passing through the portion connected to the Wrecked Ship, so unless you know what you're doing or try to access it early you have to pass through the room that has a broken glass tube to get there.

The map of the area also shows that the room has an upper and lower portion and you can see an enemy chilling on the upper platform, so even if you didn't get the hint it's clearly breakable.

From there it's just a matter of figuring out if you need to use the big super bomb that demolishes entire rooms or a missile, so the trial and error should last 2 seconds.
>>
>>2948487
This
>>2948492
And this
>>2948495

Thats how I figured it out for myself. Just tried everything the game would let me do to try to get to that platform.
>>
>>2948492
shitty? thats the best part of old games that they didnt hold yer hand
>>
File: 1446790409708.jpg (5KB, 209x241px) Image search: [Google]
1446790409708.jpg
5KB, 209x241px
>>2948487
>THE GAME SHOULD ALWAYS EXPLICITLY TELL ME WHAT I NEED TO DO IN ORDER TO PROGRESS
>HURR IT'S IMPOSSIBLE TO FIGURE IT OUT, YOU MUST BE CHEATING LIARS
>IT'S NOT LIKE THERE ARE HINTS EVERYWHERE THOUGH

I really don't get guys like you, why do you even start these kinds of threads, you don't want to discuss anything, you just want to force people to agree with your personal experience of the game as if it was the only one that mattered.
Hell, Metroid is also one of the most straightforward games out there, if you can't really get something as simple as that you might as well go back playing pong.
>>
>>2948508
Handholding is bad but being deliberately cryptic isn't any better.
Though the Maridia tube isn't an example of that.
>>
>>2948513
pong is great
>>
I can't even remember if you need to blow up the tube at all.
You can just get into maridia from the sunken ship, can't you?
>>
>>2948476
You weren't. That game was made for an older generation that would explore, learn, try new things, and not cry if they died. There is absolutely no way a snowflake like you could do it. Unless your mom played it as a kid and did it for you.
>>
>>2948476
explosions cause shock waves.
shock waves in a sealed tube put shear forces on the walls of the tube.
a glass tube requires relatively less force to destroy than say, the stone walls of brinstar.
thus, why not try a bomb
also, its hinted in maridia where there are broken tubes.
>>
>>2948476
because people who play metroid develop a 6th sense about how secrets work.

>tube has an exterior?
>wonder if I can get to it
>bombs, missiles, and s. missiles don't work...
>wonder about power bombs...

in metroid, you bomb everything, and when bombs don't work, you powerbomb everything.
>>
do you make this thread every day? maybe if you were born before the year 2 fucking thousand you would of saw the commercial for this game which gives you a huge hint.
>>
>>2948513
>why do you even start these kinds of threads

validation through response

or just attention
>>
>under 25's trying to play old games

Top kek. You kids are useless.
>>
>>2948624
It's easier than using the X Ray specs.
Those things are so cumbersome.
>>
>>2948643
Except X-ray dont show shit about the tube IIRC.

>>2948476
There's a broken one elsewhere on the map, so it makes you wonder if you can break this one as well.

You're retarded.
>>
>>2948476
when this was out i know we had the guide but i couldnt read so i just figured it out somehow

youre just buttmad you gave up
>>
>>2948476
I am currently fucking stuck on my first playthrough, what the fuck is that shit?
>>
>>2948476
underaged stop playing grandpa's vidya
>>
I remember being stuck for a little while where I literally tried almost everything in every area to progress. Seeing that section was made of glass and look seemingly unique, I figured it out on my own when decided to use a powerbomb.
>>
File: 1423516897933.jpg (56KB, 633x532px) Image search: [Google]
1423516897933.jpg
56KB, 633x532px
>>2948476
You can see the tube room extends both upwards and downwards and IIRC this is further emphasized by the fact you can see small enemies going up and down the walls if you wait a while in the tube room.
More importantly you come across this room which shows similar tube being broken which should give an idea to try to blow up the other one.
Being able to blow up the tube is shown in the intro demo if you wait long enough and yes, I'm aware that this only happens if the game is already beat once but if you bought a second hand copy of Super Metroid it's more than likely the previous owner(s) has already beaten the game.
Supposedly there was a commercial of Super Metroid showing being able to blow up the tube but since I don't live in burgerland I don't know whether or not this is true.
>>
>>2948837
>Supposedly there was a commercial of Super Metroid showing being able to blow up the tube
i don't think it was in the commercial, however it's in the video intro sequence before you start the game.

but only after you beat the game
>>
>>2948481

I did too. It took me 24 hours of play time with a 60% collection rate. This is before we even had gamefaqs.
>>
Listen up, kid. Before games started holding your hands, us gamers had a thing called "intuition".
>>
>>2948476
you must of been born with an extra chromosome if you couldn't figure that out
>>
>>2948476

I looked it up on the internet. I felt really dumb after finding out that that's what you're supposed to do.
>>
>>2948492
>>2948502
>>2948518
Pretty much.
>>
>>2948476
I stumbled on it by accident. I just powered bombed on a whim, next thing I know glass was shattering.
>>
File: Spore_Spawn.png (11KB, 256x223px) Image search: [Google]
Spore_Spawn.png
11KB, 256x223px
>get into Super Metroid because of speedrunning videos
>basically memorize the route before the first time I play it myself
>can't pull off the fancier moves (mockball, bomb jumping)
>what the fuck is this boss?
>>
File: kongs_not_impressed.gif (2MB, 458x334px) Image search: [Google]
kongs_not_impressed.gif
2MB, 458x334px
>Why isn't there an objective on the screen telling me exactly what to do?
Because once upon a time there was such thing as a real fucking game. I mean, this is the retro board - why aren't people ashamed of not figuring it out. I don't get it.

And why does nobody ever mention that this isn't needed to progress into the game. There's another way into Maridia.
>>
>>2948476
I figured it out on my own. Only part of the game with a big glass tube like that, so I figured something was up. But that's alright you didn't figure it out on your own. We all miss things.
>>
Why can't there be more games like this bros :( I hate how the 90s gave us this golden age and it all went away forever
>>
>>2948476
You weren't. The glass tube being breakable wasn't discovered until 2005, up until then everyone thought Kraid was the final boss
>>
>>2949345
>memorize the route before playing the game
Are you a rainman
>>
Doesn't the demo screen shows it ? I remember it showing the Crystal Flash too
>>
>>2949345
TWEEDLE-DEE-DEE-DEE-DUM-DUM
Spore spawn is a good guy, you fuck off.
>>
>>2949361
>I mean, this is the retro board - why aren't people ashamed of not figuring it out. I don't get it.
Because it's a retro board, half of it is now flooded with retro hipsters from /v/ who graduated highschool four years ago and are now complexly lost. They're not 'cool' or 'with it' anymore so they're trying to pick up 'oldschool' creds by playing older games the 'cool kids' don't know about. But they're still modern gamers who play and love the same hand holding garbage as their brethren and they don't understand that retro gaming was an era where that wasn't really a thing. They think it's just uglier versions of their hand holding games.
>>
>>2948643
X-ray specs are easier to to scan than bombing, though doing the charged five bomb drop is useful for immediate local check.
>>
y can't metroid crawl?
>>
Firstly:

Breaking the tube isn't necessary to beating the game, or even getting 100% completion. It's not even that useful, all things considered, because (unless you're doing a self-imposed challenge run) there's no value in going to Maridia until you have the Gravity Suit, and the place you get the Gravity Suit leads you to Maridia anyway, completely bypassing the tube. It's a neat little detail, useful if you're going for a challenge run or to save some time, but people act like it's one of those mandatory incomprehensible Simon's Quest puzzles. It isn't.

Secondly:

There was no GameFAQs in 1994, and games would continue to yield secrets for years after we started playing them. It was just assumed that games were "worlds" filled with magic and wonder etc. etc. that we'd stumble upon / figure out by chance, which is why we believed all kinds of ridiculous rumours. So yeah, I broke the tube my own as a kid, simply because... why not? I wasn't thinking like an adult with an understanding of systems, I was thinking like a child exploring an imaginary world, so yeah, I'm going to try dropping a power bomb here to see what happens. Miraculously, something did. I also tried all kinds of stupid shit that DIDN'T work, like removing the Varia and Gravity suits to try jumping higher, because I thought the extra armour made Samus heavier. I also thought something might happen if you placed a bomb exactly in the glowing eyes of the statue guarding Tourian. All my friends did shit like this as well; it's how kids played games back then.
>>
>>2950120
because they have no arms or legs.
>>
>>2950120
But Metroid can crawl.
>>
>>2948476
first, it is the only place like this in the entire game.
second, i was 5 man. i blew up everything. it was fun.
>>
>>2950121
Beautiful
>>
>>2949979
There are a lot of metroidvanias on steam, maybe ask /v/ about it? Try La-Mulana at least, OP wouldn't be able to get very far into that.

>>2949345
You know what? I haven't played Super Metroid in a decade, and most of my contact with the game since then has been watching speedruns too, so until your post I completely forgot that guy.
>>
File: Super Mario Bros. (W) [!]-1.png (3KB, 256x240px) Image search: [Google]
Super Mario Bros. (W) [!]-1.png
3KB, 256x240px
How were you supposed to know to jump over or on the goomba here? I mean the game doesn't give you any indication that you can do that and it's something you must do in order to advance. I'm glad that I dropped this piece of shit game because of this artificial difficulty bullshit.

How much longer until we see this posted as "valid complaint" from modern gamers /vr/?
>>
>>2948487

>Millions of 5-9 year old kids using having a subscription to nintendo power or internet access in 19fucking94

Next you're going to tell me people that got stuck on the noob bridge cheated too.
>>
>>2948487
Other than the only other room in the entire game with the same tube has it already broken.
>>
>>2948476
if i recall correctly, i tried it out of desperation.
>>
File: 1361297058595.gif (3MB, 204x154px) Image search: [Google]
1361297058595.gif
3MB, 204x154px
>>2950120
>>
>>2948476
>>2950434
How in the fuck I was supposed to know to enter the cave to get the sword?? you can't tell me you figured it out yourself without being a liar
>>
File: tetris-usa.png (2KB, 256x240px) Image search: [Google]
tetris-usa.png
2KB, 256x240px
>>2948476
>>2950434
>>2950560
How in the fuck I was supposed to know to stack the blocks to make complete rows?? you can't tell me you figured it out yourself without being a liar
>>
>all these replies about modern games and hand holding

You know, I remember kids back when this game was brand new who hated it for not being as linear as most other platformers, citing the obtuseness of the glass tube thing as something they hated.

This is nothing new, not everyone likes or even expects the same things out of video games, this has always been true.
>>
>>2950582
yep we assume everyone back then was patrician and viewed game as an artform. but most of these people who played these games played it as if it were call of duty, finished, then never thought about it again. Now the same people are playing battlefront. You got to accept after a while if these things mean something to you, you are a nerd who is different from how normal human beings should be.
>>
>>2948487
>no hint. nothing.
the glass is cracked and the map shows you there is no other way to that area...
>>
You beat phantoon in the wrecked ship, you continue forward because you can, you reach maridia.

You don't need to break the glass to finish this game.
>>
>>2948851
It was in a commercial. I do remember that. I'm 31 by the way.
>>
>>2948476
I did figure it out myself when I was 12.
>>
>>2950580
To be fair, all the games you're talking about had instruction booklets.
>>
>>2950723
>Phantoon

HOW WAS I SUPPOSED TO KNOW USING SUPER MISSILES MAKES THE FIGHT GO ON FOREVER?!?! FUCKING KOJIMA ASSHOLE
>>
>>2948476
isn't this area entirely optional to begin with?
>>
>>2951043
>Draygon is optional

You're fucking retarded
>>
>>2951059
im pretty sure you can get to this area via crateria.

>You're fucking retarded
rude, incorrect, and your moms fat.
>>
>all these HOW WAS I SUPPOSED TO KNOW THINKING AND EXPERIMENTATION IS THE KEY TO DOING SHIT INSTEAD OF FOLLOWING BRAIN-DEAD ONSCREEN HELP LIKE MODERN GAMES DO posts
2 years. At least 2 fucking years of pre-1995 gaming before you even TOUCH a fucking game from your goddamn generation, you goddamn coddled little shit kids.

I swear to god, sales of shit like MGS and Calladootie and DANK SOULS would be 0 if that was enforced.
>>
File: 1368666262058.jpg (114KB, 810x543px) Image search: [Google]
1368666262058.jpg
114KB, 810x543px
>>2951072
The fuck is wrong with MGS and Dark Souls you autistic fuckwit.
>>
>>2951198
Play 2 years exclusively of pre-1995 games AND YOU WILL UNDERSTAND, YOU AUTISTIC LITTLE NUGAMER CHILD.
>>
File: g.jpg (78KB, 628x372px) Image search: [Google]
g.jpg
78KB, 628x372px
>>2948487
huuuuur
What do I do?
How was anyone supposed to know to jump in the painting?
>>
>>2951024
What if I bought a second hand copy of a game that doesn't come with the instructions?
>>
File: 1426819028103.jpg (44KB, 600x420px) Image search: [Google]
1426819028103.jpg
44KB, 600x420px
>>2951213
Nigga a ton of that was limitations of the technology and forcing the player to read the manual. Still told what to do, one version is in game and the other is in a book.

I only owned an NES and an Apple IIe until I was 15. I loved the shit out of the Ultima and Wizardry titles, along with all the NES games that are lauded here daily.

Dank Souls is one of the best games of all time. Shit being obtuse for obtuse sake is not good game design, it's forcing players to take a time to figure it out to artificially legthen the game. A prime example of that is the original LoZ. Those games were also designed for kids with only 2 or 3 other games and tons of word of mouth to convey information. Kind of like Dark Souls with the messages spread throughout...

The amount of mad here is hilarious.
>>
>>2951072
You're a dipshit.

Stuff is just different now. MGS5 was decent, Bloodborne was good, Dark Souls 3 is looking to be good. Witcher 3 is alright, GTAV is fun as heck, Just Cause 3 is a lot of fun despite some technical issues.

Not every game is fucking Assassins Creed 19 or Call of Duty Modern Black Ops 12
>>
File: this_fucking_thread_again.png (1MB, 708x944px) Image search: [Google]
this_fucking_thread_again.png
1MB, 708x944px
This again
>>
>>2951285
>Assassins Creed 19 or Call of Duty Modern Black Ops 12
But those were the best games released recently.
>>
>>2949361
>There's another way into Maridia.
The only other way to that part requires you to green gate glitch.
If you don't know that you can powerbomb the tube, you sure as fuck won't know how to ggg.
>>
File: 261570_2016-01-24_00001.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
261570_2016-01-24_00001.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
>>2952737
>>2951285
Y'all niggaz need yourselves some Ori. Probably the best platformer to come out in a very, very long time.
>>
Don't really remember it giving me trouble at all.

I'm not sure how I figured it out. I always skipped the demos. I just don't remember it being a road block.

I think the map showed that there was more to that path and that was enough of a hint I think.
>>
I did.
After a time I decided that power bombs were the best way to check out a room for hidden items, so I would power bomb every new place I entered.
>>
The map shows that there's more of that room to the top and bottom, and the attract mode demo thing that plays if you don't do anything at the menu shows the glass breaking
>>
>>2948476
I would say this section is a product of its time. It's from an era where games were still pretty mystical to a lot of people, and encouraged trying real life logic while playing.

In modern games, you don't bother planting explosives on walls to make a new way through somewhere because it's not a mechanic that's included very often, and if it is, it's usually done by context and shown directly. Cracking this tube is a lot like the old adventure games that you'd type commands into and see what happens -- you don't have a few generic commands available to you to try, instead you have the entire english dictionary to guess what you need by attempting to apply real world logic to the game.

In a sense, people who played games back in Super Metroid's time might've seen the glass and decided there's a way to break it somehow because in real life, glass tubing is pretty fragile. The context clues such as the tube's location on the map and the fact that there's other stuff there also help to clue the player in without being an overt showing. Really, what makes this part so difficult for veteran players playing SM for the first time is that they're so set in being genre and game savvy, they no longer view games as rooted in reality and instead apply internal video game logic to video games like they've been trained to.
>>
>>2952775
It's on my list and I already have it. But I didn't actually mean they were the best games released. I was making a point. Just because some faggot comes along and says shitty games are good doesn't make them good. Which is what he was doing.
>>
>>2948476

The DEMO shows it

You know, the beginning part that shows "secrets" a la, Bowie style

Learn to swim
>>
>>2953561
>encouraged trying real life logic while playing.
Like looking for meat in walls or garbage cans or fight rabbits that drop monies and swords, or pizzas in sewer pipes, or scanning underground labyrinths for uzi ammunition to take out dinosaurs, or hump all walls in military bases and cities - they're known to have hidden access to invisibility and invisibility orbs all the time. Or when people literally bombed and burned an entire world to find money stashes hidden under bushes.
No, we didn't use real life logic, we used these are games and the people who make them are fucking crazy logic therefore the obvious answer to almsot every problem is to the most asinine or tedious bullshit one could do - therefore try everything something is bound to make less sense than everything and be the correct answer.

This is actually one of rare cases it was actually logical to do it and the first time you even see it you see enemies outside you can't hit and platforming areas and you instinctively want to blow shit up if only to genocide that last motherfucker because that's apparently what Metroid does during his vacations on planets, murder all fauna.

>is a lot like the old adventure games that you'd type commands into and see what happens
Those games were actually batshit crazy too and the Metroid tube was really nothing like that.

>you don't have a few generic commands available
Actually, you had a few generic commands available to you. The parsers were pretty shit and largely ended up requiring shooting babby tier language at it until it decided something was actually a valid command and then you could write that down with the list of other commands the game actually even recognizes to save time. Point and Clicks did a lot to improve and alleviate the situation despite being simplified, they really weren't. They were just streamlined versions of the same crap that made it easier on the developer and the player.
>>
I don't know, I guess was just conditioned to power bomb every room looking for secrets.
>>
>>2953675
>The DEMO shows it
Yeah, if you have already beaten the game on that cart.
>>
>>2953707
Super Metroid is one of those games you're meant to play more than once.
>>
I waana say I tired it first off center and it didn't work...hours later I looked it up and did it
>>
>>2951219
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S40fBi65U8c
You'd know what to do if you saw the commercial after school or on Saturday mornings in the 90's. It would get ingrained into your brain after seeing the same things every time there was a break.
Last time I saw a commercial for video games all it did was show a cutscene and a release date.
Seriously, what ever happened to showing actual gameplay footage?
>>
File: item_bomb.gif (26KB, 512x446px) Image search: [Google]
item_bomb.gif
26KB, 512x446px
>>2948624
This. 110% this.
>>
>>2948624
This.

Plus, common sense, and basic theory of mind. In old videogames like these, I can't count the number of times I've found secrets just by thinking to myself, "if I were one of the developers, where would I hide something?"
>>
>>2950517
I keep watching this and slowly and slowly getting madder.

Maybe she doesn't know there's a slight delay, she ducks and... ARGGGH SERIOUSLY HOW DO YOU NOT FIGURE THIS SHIT OUT...
>>
>>2948476
>>2950434
How in the fuck was I supposed to know to press the start button at the title screen to get past it? I mean the game doesn't give you any indication that you can do that and it's something you must do in order to advance. You can't tell me you figured it out yourself without being a liar??
Thread posts: 96
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.