[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can we have a localization thread? Been having fun reading

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 11

File: goomba_comp.jpg (22KB, 486x157px) Image search: [Google]
goomba_comp.jpg
22KB, 486x157px
Can we have a localization thread?

Been having fun reading http://legendsoflocalization.com/ and just wanted to ask people some of their favorite localization.
>>
File: black-manta-drugs-e.png (3KB, 512x480px) Image search: [Google]
black-manta-drugs-e.png
3KB, 512x480px
>>
>>2939701
>Been having fun reading http://legendsoflocalization.com/
Gave it a quick look over, and there's some really dumb stuff like not understanding that Nips used katakana in early games because of improved legibility at very low resolutions, and some errors in stuff like understanding how names originated.

I'm a little shocked that the guy has gotten actual work in the industry, but a look at his page shows he's only really worked on some anime bullshit.

Ah well, it's a neat little thing for EOPs, and I like that the examples are shown.

Not a lot of content, though.
>>
>>2939764
You're talking about the man who translated Mother 3.
>>
>>2939993
A fan patch for a children's game, what an illustrious career. What's mindblowing in particular is how long he's been doing this, and how little he knows.

I don't expect much from translators in the first place, but it's just a little funny.
>>
>>2939764
>Ah well, it's a neat little thing for EOPs,
What?
>>
File: Metal_Gear_boxback.jpg (118KB, 700x985px) Image search: [Google]
Metal_Gear_boxback.jpg
118KB, 700x985px
>>2939764
I'm more annoyed that he mostly covers first-party Nintendo stuff on his page and doesn't cover third-party companies that much. The few times he covered third-party games is when they were reviewed by the fucking AVGN, which says a lot about his target audience. I once offered to contributed, but he had no interest.
>>
>>2939701
Just a reminder, every time someone starts talking about "hurr durr nip language so deep, westerners have to deal with inferior products," remember that Japanese players have to put up with shit translations of Western games too:

http://legendsoflocalization.com/how-was-banjo-kazooies-rhyming-text-handled-in-japanese/
>>
>>2940009

You've never actually played it, have you? It's probably the best fan translation I've ever seen. It's really well written and he incorporates the quirky Mother vibe perfectly. It's better than most official translations from the SNES era, at the very least. Go suck a mountain of cocks.
>>
>>2940056
That's why you should aim for the original language.
Some publishers even gave you the option which language to use.
>>
>>2940068
Of course I haven't, I'm older than 12 and have no need for translations anyway.

>>2940056
Sure, but if you compare numbers, nips lost out on almost nothing by comparison. That second Grunty line does have an element of rhyming with the whole よろしい、わたし bit. I'd be interested in looking at a full script, I honestly hated the rhyming dialogue anyway.

You've also got stuff like Crash which was practically re-vamped into something that was mistaken for a Japanese game by a lot of nips at the time. All the level signs were re-done, and they added tutorial dialogue.
>>
>>2940089
>Of course I haven't, I'm older than 12 and have no need for translations anyway.
I never understood people who get into importing Japanese gaming and shit, but don't bother to actually learn the language. I know a local game store who actually imports SFC games and then guts the original PCBs with fan-translated repros.
>>
>>2940094
>I know a local game store who actually imports SFC games and then guts the original PCBs with fan-translated repros.
Probably because it still costs 2 bucks to pick up a game that costs hundreds in America thanks to scalpers.
>>
>>2940089
God, what's wrong you're having problems at home?

Your wife cheating on you or something?

Why are you acting like such a smug asshole, dial it down a notch... we're all having a friendly conversation here.
>>
File: yoshi & obelix.png (133KB, 538x272px) Image search: [Google]
yoshi & obelix.png
133KB, 538x272px
Burt the Bashful's names in the French and German localisations are references to the famous Gaul, Obelix. This reference has carried over into the new iterations of "Burt".
http://www.mariowiki.com/Burt_the_Bashful
>>
>>2940109
That's pretty damn funny.
>>
>>2940101
The thing is that he guts the cartridges for himself to play them on his actual console. He doesn't sell them to customers unless they're special orders. I don't know why he doesn't just use EverDrive for fan-translated shit.
>>
>>2940089
>Have you played Mother 3?
>lol no I'm not 12

Are you sure you're on the right board? Most retro games are kid-friendly, you know.

And you really should give Mother 3 a chance. I can almost guarantee you that it's a more emotionally mature and subtle game than whatever you consider to be a proper "adult" game.
>>
>>2940089
Oh sure, as someone who likes Japanese games more than Western games I think Japanese players almost always win out when it comes to gaming. But there are a few weebs who think there's something special about the Japanese language that makes it hard to translate, or that it's easy to perfectly represent English in Japanese, and I just wanted to show an example that shows that's not the case.
>>
>>2940172
>there's something special about the Japanese language that makes it hard to translate
There are a bunch of elements that make Japanese hard to translate. You've got the absolute basics like honorifics and keigo, to grammatically different sentence ordering, and an over-reliance on implied subjects. Then you've got cultural references, shit like flower language, eastern folklore, pop culture that's completely insular and self-contained, internet memes, it all adds up to pretty much the worst possible language for translating to English.

I've never seen anyone imply that the reverse is the opposite, most weebs know the nips are even worse at English than your average weeb is at Japanese. It's difficult both ways.

It's not that Japanese is deep, it's just that it's extremely different.
>>
>>2940170
>Are you sure you're on the right board? Most retro games are kid-friendly, you know.
He meant that he's fluent enough in Japanese to understand Mother 3 without a translation patch.
>>
File: image.jpg (22KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
22KB, 450x450px
>>2940170
Heh, not to burst your bubbl, but the art style is too immature for a sophisticated intellectual like myself. I'll stick to final fantasy and dragon quest, yknow, the true classics.
>>
>>2940009
Why exactly are you here if you apparently don't even like video games?
>>
>>2940691
>if you don't like my favorite game, you must not like games at all
Fuck off.
>>
>>2940710
It's far from my favorite game, but he absolutely puts up an air that he doesn't like video games.
>>
>>2940170
Mother 3 isn't /vr/ but I still dream of what it would've looked like on the N64...
>>
>>2940009
How about Star Ocean, or Live-A-Live?
>>
>>2939764
>Gave it a quick look over, and there's some really dumb stuff like not understanding that Nips used katakana in early games because of improved legibility at very low resolutions, and some errors in stuff like understanding how names originated.
I couldn't spot that misunderstanding or the errors in name origins that you pointed out.
Are you sure you're not just full of shit?
>>
>>2940049
LOLcalizations LOL
>>
ITT: Tomato fanboys and members of Starmen.net who think Undermeme is the best game
>>
>>2940009
>>2940089

why are you here if you think games are for children
>>
>>2940009
He's also well known for the stellar subtitles of the original Dragon Ball, which are easily the best subtitles in the whole series.
>>
File: boxart regions.jpg (330KB, 998x783px) Image search: [Google]
boxart regions.jpg
330KB, 998x783px
>>2940109
That reminds me of this.
>>
>>2939701
Semi related, but is anyone aware of if any bootleg copies of X (Ekkusu) exist?

I got 2 copies of the game by accident, and they're different.

The first copy that I got goes straight to the tutorial, however the second one that I got was CIB and has a ever so slightly different title screen, and gives you the option to skip the tutorial.

The cartridges are identical.
>>
>>2940916
When someone does a good job translating many unreleased games, they tend to get a following.
I'm sorry you haven't accomplished anything in your life.
>>
File: 1444619841999.gif (195KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
1444619841999.gif
195KB, 500x281px
>>2940305
>a sophisticated intellectual like myself

Says the guy browing a chinese cartoon image board, while admitting he's playing weeb rpgs
>>
>>2942757
I thought the grown man in the bee costume would be a good method of denoting satire.
>>
File: image.jpg (40KB, 300x470px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
40KB, 300x470px
>>2940916
>I couldn't respond to people criticizing me earlier in the thread so I'll make a passive aggressive drive by now just to let people know my opinion.
>>
>>2943165
WAKE ME UP
>>
Wait, Goombas were supposed to be mushrooms?

You're blowing my mind here.
>>
>>2943289
DEEPEST
>>
>>2940743
Based on the promo shots? Garbage. I much prefer the souped-up SNES sprites we got.
>>
File: chico.jpg (184KB, 581x448px) Image search: [Google]
chico.jpg
184KB, 581x448px
>>2940049
CaTaffy is the very first instance of Kojima using the back of a game box to fuck with the player, the name CaTaffy is so outrageous that it'll stick to the player, making them think of CaTaffy whenever they think of who runs something crazy like Outer Heaven. They'll never suspect Big Boss is actually the leader, ensuring blind compliance with his radioed commands, it's poetry

Source: my wife's boyfriend who works at KojiPro
>>
>>2943736
This, early low-poly 3D isn't as cool as it looks in those "retro" low-poly throwbacks I see people post, something like the N64 is horribly-bottlenecked when it comes to textures, so along with low-res polygons that aren't especially complex, you also have the textures themselves being blurry due to the fact they're tiny as fuck resolution-wise, and they're being stretched and filtered

Based on the screenshots, this really fucked with character design. Beyond the unique good/bad characters we're used to, everyone else looked like a generic NPC due to the fact that there's not much room to make everyone look unique. The spritework in Earthbound was already really good when it came to nailing the specific cartoony-realistic style the series has, and giving that same design formula better hardware and higher resolutions to work with helped it maintain that style, only better, with characters, enemies, and locations having a really distinct and unique look consistently

The cancellation of the N64 version was a blessing
>>
>>2939701
But why did the goombas betray the mushroom kingdom?
>>
>>2941052
I'm French and what the fuck is this
>>
>>2940009
Uhhh dude he has a well established career in professionally translating plenty of anime
>>
>>2940048
EOP is a /jp/ meme. Just ignore it, he's a weeaboo.
>>
>>2943885
>professional career
>in anime
Pick none.
>>
>>2943902
Anime needs to be translated and it's not particularly different from translating live action movies, novels or video games.

Why don't you just fuck off back to Facebook where you belong?
>>
>>2943920
I think the only one of those you could even slightly compare it to would be movies.
>>
>>2943929
>waah anime triggers me :( :( :(
Back to Facebook, normie.
>>
>>2943930
I think you might actually be braindead. See a doctor.
>>
>>2943941
What's braindead is normies like you coming here and constantly whining that anime is triggering them.... on a fucking anime site. How fucking stupid are you?
>>
>>2943289
they're chestnuts or something in Japan.
>>
>>2943962
No, they were meant to be mushrooms, but one of the other guys working on it said they looked more like chestnuts, and that's where they got the name from.

The manual says they're bad mushrooms that got exiled from the kingdom.
>>
>>2943883
The Kirby-is-fucking-pissed trope turned up to 11.
>>
>>2943883
I'm sorry
American marketers are little more than functioning retards
>>
>>2940056

But that translation isn't bad. The author of the article even says that was the best they could possibly do given the differences between Japanese and English.
>>
>Dat Phil Silvers Show reference
Would have any kid in 1990 understood that Sgt. Bilko reference? The Steve Martin remake wasn't even out yet.
>>
>>2940089
>Mature gamers such as myself

Looks like school let them out early today.
>>
>>2951812
Something like Mario can be enjoyed by all ages, because it offers a reasonable challenge despite a simplistic story.

Trash like the Mother series offers no challenge. The story and characters are only interesting if you're 12 years old, or have a similar mental age.

Thus, there's no possible reason to play it.

If you tell me one of your favorite games was Earthbound, I'd look at you like you said that you play Pokemon. There are thousands of games out there that do offer an actual challenge, or at least a decent story not intended for babies.
>>
>>2939701
I honestly never knew that Goombas were supposed to be mushrooms.
>>
File: maturegamingstation.jpg (26KB, 433x278px) Image search: [Google]
maturegamingstation.jpg
26KB, 433x278px
>>2951886
Not him and I don't even like Earthbound but holy shit you are a huge insecure faggot.
Thread posts: 64
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.