[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

As someone who absolutely loves JRPG, I never actually played

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 11

File: Breath.of.Fire.full.618457.jpg (290KB, 1123x1600px) Image search: [Google]
Breath.of.Fire.full.618457.jpg
290KB, 1123x1600px
As someone who absolutely loves JRPG, I never actually played any BoF games, where should I start/which order should I play the games?
>>
Probably III and IV. I haven't played those ones but if Breath of Fire I is more bare bones than BoFII then the first two are easily skippable.
>>
>>2936064

You could probably play them all if you really wanted to.

I always liked II.
>>
File: 1437712029134.jpg (1MB, 2110x2626px) Image search: [Google]
1437712029134.jpg
1MB, 2110x2626px
>>2936064
It might not hurt to play 1 - 4 in order. If you "absolutely love JRPGs", the flaws in the series shouldn't bug you too much.

My personal favorites are 2 and 4.
>>
File: BoF2_group.jpg (139KB, 574x507px) Image search: [Google]
BoF2_group.jpg
139KB, 574x507px
Is this going to be the BoF thread? We haven't had one in forever.
>>
File: rinpoo_01.jpg (158KB, 1100x1000px) Image search: [Google]
rinpoo_01.jpg
158KB, 1100x1000px
>>2936767
Ye, I think so too, fampai. BoF needs more recognishen.
>>
File: 1451411269036.jpg (126KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
1451411269036.jpg
126KB, 700x700px
>>2936785
OK cool.

And I hope the Ursulafag from a few threads ago shows up and posts more fox grill.
>>
>>2936785
Hol up, she got a top but no bottom, da fuk?
>>
File: 1437714911541.jpg (625KB, 1079x1500px) Image search: [Google]
1437714911541.jpg
625KB, 1079x1500px
>>2937938
Allow me to start you down the long, dark path toward full-blown furfaggotry.
>>
does BoF2 have issues? i see varios hacked roms.
>>
>>2938192
Translation
Being grindy as fuck
Getting hit by insta-death spells from enemies 50 levels below you

Aside from that, no issues.
>>
>>2937938
First rule of animal people; fur will always, always, always conceal the genitals. Always.
>>
>>2938204

is there a fix for the grinding?
>>
>>2938238
There is a fan patch for the SNES rom, and the GBA version already comes with it by default.
>>
>>2938252

i preffer snes graphics and sound, is there something better about the GBA version?
>>
File: 12-1.jpg (49KB, 645x350px) Image search: [Google]
12-1.jpg
49KB, 645x350px
>>2936064
Every BoF game (besides one obvious one) is worth playing. Best experience for seeing how the games improved then kinda went back down in quality is to play in release order. If you just want to play the best ones then 2, 3, and 4 are the ones worth playing. 3 and 2 are arguably the best ones but some people seem to think 4 is despite it taking lots of steps back in terms of game design.

1 is basic generic JRPG but it's still fun to play and DQ, while barely feeling like a BoF game, is still a very fun title especially if you like dungeon crawlers.
>>
>>2936064
4>3>2>1 in terms of how good the games are.
Play them in any order you like.
Use the translation patch for 2.
>>
>>2936064
Just play them in order.

BoF is a very basic JRPG minus the fusion and dragon mechanics but minus the occasional backtracking and points where you'll have to look up a guide to know what to do next, it's never tedious.

BoF II is a impressive improvement over I with character arcs and a much more developed plot but be sure to get the translation patch. The encounter rate goes from bearably to absolutely fucking shit near the end of the game.

BoF III and BoF IV are great as well but it's been a long time since I've played them so I can't really give a concise overview. BoFIV's battle system is the best in the series though.

Play the SNES and PSX versions, no ports. The GBA versions of BoF I and BoF II has new artwork/portraits and alters the battle interface to resemble BoFIV's but they're moreorless the same games.

DQ is alright, just different so be warned.
>>
I've been eyeing these titles for a while now, myself. Thanks for all the comments!
>>
File: 1437715863481.jpg (308KB, 1500x734px) Image search: [Google]
1437715863481.jpg
308KB, 1500x734px
>>2938861
Have fun!
>>
Call me a hipster, but I enjoyed BOF1 more than the second. But they other anons are right, it's a very basic sort of rpg, but it rewards exploration in a big way. The dungeons are also very well designed, and once again, they award exploration.

BOF2 I like a lot too, but there's a few things I don't like about it. I do like the character development a lot more than 1, it adds a lot of narrative that was more or less glossed over in 1.

The dungeons are VERY simple, though, and the world map doesn't really give you too much space to explore until you get the whale. The final dungeon IS an actual dungeon, with an absolutely shit design that makes you walk in loops with a huge encounter rate. Never mind that after you make it to a certain point inside said dungeon, if you return above ground, you'll have to go through the shitty dungeon again to reach said point. The music didn't stick with me too much in 2, either, like it did in 1.

BOF2 is great, with fun characters, don't get me wrong, but I enjoyed BOF1 a lot more.
>>
File: 1433110665596.jpg (777KB, 1466x2146px) Image search: [Google]
1433110665596.jpg
777KB, 1466x2146px
>>2939065
I say this as someone who loves the shit out of BOF2 despite its flaws... but think of how much better it would have been if the encounter rate had been toned down and the dungeon complexity had been ratcheted up.
>>
File: deis1.jpg (197KB, 800x500px) Image search: [Google]
deis1.jpg
197KB, 800x500px
>>2936767
>>2936767
I love BoF and am always up for talking about it, but we've had several threads recently. There's usually a thread going at some point.

>>2936064
To OP, I say just start with 1 and go from there. They vary in quality somewhat, but are all good and worth playing. Enjoy!!
>>
>>2938339

3 has good gameplay and an interesting background, but the plot and flow is kinda boring. It has bad pacing issues, like the unicorn guys plot taking forever to finish, training the guy, and the sushi quest before getting the boat.The BoF series is certanly not an example of excellent pacing, but 3 just has the worst of it all IMO.

Momo is no Ursula, either.
>>
>>2938286
Enemies give double the experience and money they did in the SNES version. I think that's the only change from the SNES version though

>>2941817
3 is the only one I haven't played much of, but so far it seems to be moving quicker than 4. 4 is like if that quest you got to clear Bow's name in II lasted the entire game, it's terribly boring and I eventually dropped it because fucking nothing was happening outside of the Fou-Lu parts. And then there's Dragon Quarter. I'm sure you already know the issues with that one. I could never get into it just because its mechanics actively seem to discourage progression and force you to play it as safe as possible.
>>
What I hate about 3 is how you're penalized for grinding early, and not having the master system unlocked before levelling. Or something like that, don't really remember.
>>
>>2942385
You don't really need it, I beat the game while training under one of the wizard masters at the beginning. And magic is virtually useless in this game.
>>
>>2942390

Magic is great for wiping out random encounters. I specced Nina so that she could spam magic to clear out random encounters, then have her as a speedy buffer and healer when I had to face a boss. It worked just fine.
>>
I just started playing BOF3 for the first time anon and I love it. I'm playing it via epsxe on my tablet and it's really comfy and funny too. I skipped the first two and don't feel like I'm missing anything. I guess I'm about 20 hours in and no issues really. The only thing I looked up was the masters guide just because I was worried I might train the wrong character under the the wrong master. Random encounters can be a little too frequent at times but other than that, great game.
>>
>>2942456
Speed buffs are always great, but heals are useless since toward the end you'll have access to infinite restoring items that heals the whole party for half a bar or one member to full hp.
>>
>>2942516
Speed Buffs are shit, Rei is faster than everything in the world so just stick him on the front of your line and you're good.

Similarly, you could use Nina, the glass-not-cannon, or you could just use Momo since the line formation completely bypasses her only major weakness (speed).
>>
>>2936064
Oh yeah, OP, if you do decide you want to play these, BoF I and II are in the same continuity, or at least, it's implied they are. II apparently takes place a few hundred/thousand years later, and there's a certain part in it that involves a character from I (as well as a certain bonus area that has two other characters from I inexplicably just walking around).

I'd still say it's not necessary to play them in order, and all the other games are clearly alternate continuity anyway. I only ever played II as a kid and enjoyed it just fine. It's a fantastic game. Absolutely needed a better translation though. It's got the most embarrassingly bad officially localized script I've ever seen in a video game... which makes it pretty funny, admittedly.
>>
>>2940203
If they got the person from one to design the dungeons, than hell yeah, I could even deal with the encounter rate.

To be fair though, BOF1 made it a little too easy to avoid random battles. Loved getting into dungeons and just running around exploran though.

>>2942565
That bonus part is awesome. Still don't know what Bo's fossil had to do with anything. Planning to play the re-translation, but it's on my backlog.
>>
File: 1275953900336.jpg (305KB, 561x800px) Image search: [Google]
1275953900336.jpg
305KB, 561x800px
>>2942676
>BOF1 made it a little too easy to avoid random battles.

How? Can you remind me? I hardly remember anything about that game.
>>
>>2944368

Load up on Marble 2s and spam them thoughout dungeons. Makes the last few dungeons and the ones with the gimmick Mode 7 floors much easier.
>>
>>2945385

Or was it Marble 3s? Been a while since I played.
>>
>>2936064
Breath of Fire 1 and 2 require too much grinding to be fun. Start with 3 and then play 4. Those are the best.
>>
>>2945814
1 really didn't require grinding. Outside of a few shocking boss battles (like the one in the giant), the first BoF was pretty darn easy assuming you're being reasonable and aren't spamming Marble 3's to avoid fights.
>>
>>2946725

BOF1 has enough powerful skills and wepaons that you don't need to grind after you get Gobi.
>>
BoF 2 > BoF *
>>
>>2945814
You probably don't need to grind to beat 2.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.