[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is the PlayStation 2 completly backwards compatable with PlayStation

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3

File: 2618114-ps21.jpg (34KB, 350x237px) Image search: [Google]
2618114-ps21.jpg
34KB, 350x237px
Does it render the existence of the PS1 pointless. Pretty much uses the same controller as well as compatibility with PS1 memory cards.
>>
There are a few PS1 games that don't work properly on a PS2, but most of them work fine. I don't know where you might find a definitive list of PS1 games that aren't totally compatible, though.

Also, for some reason, my third-party PS1 memory cards work just fine on my US PS2, but my JP PS2 won't recognize them at all. I thought that was kind of weird.
>>
Some games aren't compatible, and some produce graphical glithes or freeze at certain points that may not be crucial (e.g. menu freezes)

So no, the PS2 doesn't make the PS1 obsolete. Best bet is to pick up a used PSOne somewhere, or just emulate. PS1s are dirt cheap these days.
>>
>>2934015
To my knowledge yes. I have never had a single issue playing a PS1 game on a PS2.
In fact when my first PS2 crapped out, it was reduced to only being able to play CDs and PS1 games.
>>
>>2934030
I haven't had a problem with any PS1 game at all, and I played a shitload. What games actually don't work on a ps2?
>>
>>2934034
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_games_incompatible_with_PlayStation_2
>>
>>2934038
That explains why I had no complaints. Both of my PS2s were old Fats.
>>
>>2934038
>slim can't even play PS2 games

Oh sweet Jesus what happened?
>>
>>2934038
Am I missing out on much? Are any of these games considered great games?
>>
You can play PS1 games on the PS3, right?
>>
>>2934075
You can play PS1 games on any PS system except PS4.
>>
>>2934048
>Oh sweet Jesus what happened?

Cheaper, revised hardware that broke some games. It happens in the lifetime of all consoles - happened on the Saturn and Genesis too.
>>
I should mention that I've had issues running the Hokuto no Ken 3D PSX beat-em-up on a US PS2 when I've been able to get all my other imports to work flawlessly. I've yet to try it on a JP PS2 or any PSX console.
>>
>>2934069
Just make sure to get an old fat ps2 and you should be fine. Only one I'd be concerned about is FF Anthology, and even it got fixed on the Greatest Hits release.

Fighter Maker may also be a concern. Not sure how good or bad it was; I'd only known about it and never actually played it.
>>
>>2934069
None of them are great imo. X2 is an interesting shmup and Monkey Hero is a good Zelda clone, but thats about it.
>>
>>2934081
>It happens in the lifetime of all consoles - happened on the Saturn and Genesis too.

First off, doesn't happen to all consoles. All NES games work on either the VCR model or the top loader, no difference. All SNES DO work on all models, there's just some minor graphical glitches in a few games on the 1-chip/mini. All PS1 games work on all models, including the PSone.

In all fairness to the Genesis, the model 3 was Majesco's fault, not Sega's, and was designed to be a "bargain bin" model in the first place. Hell, it sold for $50 when it came out.

And I'm not seeing anything in regards to the 2nd generation Saturn not being able to play some games.
>>
I'll ask here because the other PS2 thread is ded.

I have an old, fat, 39001 PS2. how is it compared to other models? what can I do with it, mod-wise?
>>
File: 3TlOPqk.jpg (289KB, 1051x706px) Image search: [Google]
3TlOPqk.jpg
289KB, 1051x706px
>>2934015
The fat PS2 contains the PSX hardware so it has almost perfect backwards compatibility. It's actually the best way to play PSX games because of the native component video and digital audio output.

The slim PS2 actually emulates the PSX games. They removed the actual PSX hardware in order to make the system smaller. It actually uses a version of the PSX emulator found in the PSP (or so I've been told). Compatibility is a little worse, but mostly perfect.
>>
>>2935679
>The slim PS2 actually emulates the PSX games. They removed the actual PSX hardware in order to make the system smaller. It actually uses a version of the PSX emulator found in the PSP (or so I've been told).

You've been told wrong. They didn't remove any PS1 hardware from any PS2.

PS2 games actually use the embedded PS1 CPU as a sound and I/O manager. If you removed it, it would break absolutely everything.
>>
File: Capture.png (63KB, 438x1075px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
63KB, 438x1075px
>>2935691
The Slim PS2 removed the PS1 CPU and PS1 ram. To compensate for this, Sony overclocked the EE/GS and used them to emulate the missing components.

That's why certain PS2 games are incompatible with the PS2 Slim. Anything that used the PS1 components for extra processing (Jack X used the PS1 ram for network stuff) either slowed down or stopped working. Pic related is the PS1 and PS2 incompatibility list for the latest Slim models.
>>
>>2935728
Yeah I know you're parroting that GameFAQs post.

It's wrong.

The PS1 CPU and RAM (implying you can emulate RAM) got embedded into the EE+GS ASIC so that's why you can't see it in late slim models.

Morons then claim Sony removed it because they can't see it and come up with wild theories. I've heard exactly the same stories with the Zilog Z80 on the Sega Genesis. People thought that some Genesis 2 removed it because you can't see it, well that too is still there, just became embedded in an ASIC.

If that GameFAQs post is actually right, it means that the PS2 Slim is actually emulating every single PS2 game because virtually all of them used the PS1 CPU and RAM for sound and I/O.
>>
>>2935728
ps2 was so weak it needed psx parts to function
>>
>>2935750
I've heard so many conflicting things about the PS1 CPU

>Used to control the USB/FW interface
>Used to control the HDD
>Used to control the disc drive
>Used for sound
>>
>>2935750
Not that guy, but Sony did change the way the PS1 driver operated for slims. I remember people in PCSX2 debugging both and coming up with different hardware calls or something.
>>
>>2935809
It would likely be because integrating the PS1 CPU into the ASIC would have tampered with the expected bandwidth / latencies / timings that the old drivers would have expected.
>>
very last few models of ps2 (9xxxx) cant play ps1 games.
>>
>>2935874
nope, they definitely can
>>
Unrelated, but is there any way to actually get a PS1 save file from ePSXe and getting it onto a memory card without using a DexDrive or whatever it's called?
>>
>>2935750
this man knows what he is talking about. the ps1 components were consolidated into the PS2 ASIC.

next thing you know, people are gonna say that MS removed the GPU from the late model 360 consoles because they only see a single chip...
>>
>>2934809
I have that exact model, easiest thing to do would be to get an ide HDD (you can get the official one if you want), and a cable to read and write to it, then clone a hacked HDD image to it (Google hdloader or freehdboot). From there, look up POP ( or POPStarter) and you'll be able to emulate ps1 games off the hard drive.
If you want to play CD psx backups, you'll need to modchip the system. I fucked up 2 seperate mobos trying to install mine, so I would only recommend doing this if you know how to solder VERY small things. If you do choose to do so, modbo is the only chip with a regular seller on eBay left, check out sksapps for diagrams on how to install
>>
>>2934249
>In all fairness to the Genesis, the model 3 was Majesco's fault, not Sega's

You could pin the blame either way when it comes to games not working on the model 3. You had compatibility issues because there was some bug in the model 1 and 2 which got fixed on the model 3. Only game I really know of that it causes issues with is Gargoyles.
>>
So, if I get a slim can it play all PS2 games (sans the ones that require an HD, of course)? I'm not interested in PSX capabilities.
>>
>>2934032
I've had all the exact opposite problems with the multiple ps2 I've owned so far
>>
>>2937124
See the earlier wiki post. The answer is pretty much but no not all.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.