[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How did Nintendo do it?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 125
Thread images: 11

How did Nintendo do it?
>>
>>2927814
Wizardry.

Seriously, I love this game so damn much. Every time I play it, it's just as fun as my first time.
>>
>>2927814
highly advanced (for its time) dedicated 3D hardware and low poly, gouraud shaded models
>>
Hazy Maze Cave was the best level
>>
>>2927814
Shigeru Miyamoto.
>>
Wasn't there going to be a Super Mario 64 2 at some point?
>>
>>2927814
How did Nintendo do what?
>>
>>2927875
Didn't you know, we did get Mario 64 2, it's called Mario Galaxy. :^)

Now I feel dirty.
>>
>>2927814
if you're referring to the meme video it's because the N64's CPU was in the unique position (for a console) of having an FP unit but not being superscalar (FP and integer can't execute simultaneously)

therefore N64 programmers tended to mix and match FP and integer data (FP for when precision is necessary, integer for when speed is necessary) and therefore had to structure their code in ways that left it open to overflow exploits
>>
>>2927887
what video are you talking about? you tube search for mario 64 overflow exploit didn't yield anything
>>
>>2927901
where have you been the last 12 hours
>>
>>2927907
around the way. so, wanna tell me where I can see this video, please?
>>
>>2927907
It doesn't make sense to interpret "how did Nintendo do it?" as "how did Nintendo make it so that you can get a bunch of stars in Mario 64 without pushing the A button" because Nintendo didn't set out to do it, it happened by accident.
>>
>>2927917
It's because this game isn't really a platforming game in the way that the previous marios are. It's less about jumping onto platforms and more about running around a 3D world.
>>
>>2928335

It's both, which is why doing a "no jump" run requires extreme glitching and QPU theorizing.
>>
>>2927884
Totally skipping SM Sunshine? Why no love?
>>
>>2927913

pannenkoek2012 uploaded a new video how to get the "Rolling Rocks" star with just half an A press.
/v/ gets crazy about it.
>>
>>2928354
Oh, no, I do like Sunshine. It's just that someone at Nintendo called Mario Galaxy "the true successor to Mario 64" around the time of its release.
>>
>>2928486
I'm willing to vouch for this. When reviews were talking about how it felt playing with a wiimote, they mentioned that after getting comfy with the controls, it's as if they'd been it this way since Peach's castle.
>>
>>2927814
They experimented. The last time they did that was back with Super Mario Galaxy.
>>
>>2927884
>>2928486
>>2928847
Why does Galaxy seem so popular? Just dumb modern kids?

Couldn't get past the waggle shit or shit controller.
>>
>>2928860
It's a good game.

The controls are good too. It's a shame you failed to enjoy it for stupid reasons.
>>
>>2928860
Yes it's a meme, everyone secretly agreed to lie that they enjoyed Galaxy.
>>
Is there any video game character who could defeat Super Mario?

And I'm not talking about Super Mario Bros. 3 Super Mario, equipped with Hammer Bros. suit, with an arsenal of suits in his inventory as back-up, who can breathe underwater and who defeated the sun itself. I don't even mean Super Mario World Super Mario, capable of stomping entire castles to the ground, equipped with Feather Cape for limitless flying, and the ability to stomp on anything from fire to chainsaws while spinning without getting hurt. In fact, I don't even mean Super Mario Galaxy Super Mario, who can breathe in space, regain a third of his vitality with one coin, and the one who recreated the entire universe from scratch, and who can survive inside a black hole. Hell I'm not even talking about Paper Mario Super Mario, with the power of all Star Spirits and The Thousand Year Door, with abilities such as Starstorm, Clock Out which stops time, and Supernova, who was actually killed once but came back from hell to the land of the living to destroy his killer; and thus having the ability to freely move between life and the afterlife. I'm talking about Super Mario 64 Super Mario, with the Wing Cap, Metal Cap, Invisible Cap, capable of cloning other beings, with Scuttlebug Jamboree, Goomba Staircase, Goomba Oasis, utilizing Pedro Spot, being able to create HOLPs allowing him to release objects from his hand at any point in space no matter how far away, with the ability to increase his speed to infinite amounts several times the speed of light and inter-dimensional travel to Parallel Universes and back, and being able to misalign the QPUs of his foes trapping them forever in a world they cannot interact with, with all his abilities mentioned before, and 12 hours of prep time.
>>
>>2928897
That is a decent amount of autism you got there son, I'm impressed!
>>
>>2928897
Holy fucking autism.
>>
>>2928354
I really, really, really like this image.
>>
>>2928934
>>2928941
>>not realizing this is a variation on a well-known copypasta

How?
>>
Miyamoto is a genius, by that I mean, comparable to Stevie Wonder, or Joni Mitchell.

He was in his prime as a creative person from the 80s to the late 90s, and in the late 90s not only he had his creativity, he had experience.
>>
>>2928860
Waggle is honestly fine once you're used to it, which doesn't take long.

Mario Galaxy was the first Mario game in a while that had a personality to it other than "whoop-de-doo!" which I think a lot of people liked. It had goofy shit like cake levels but it also had a lot of grandiose stuff in it.

Also lots of people had a Wii, so it makes sense the primary Mario game of the console is popular.
>>
>nentendofags overdosed on memes and everyone hates them.
>>
>>2928967
>being an oldfag
>learning worthless internet trivia
>not learning languages or math or some shit instead
>>
>>2928346
No, I think it's awesome that he can do it, but what I'm saying is that part of the reason is that the game isn't that "jumpy" in the first place.

Also holding A and doing the kick thing is a jump in and of itself that can get you places. Moreso since often it's only a smaller jump that you need.
>>
File: 1370910100209.png (1MB, 2261x3450px) Image search: [Google]
1370910100209.png
1MB, 2261x3450px
SM Galaxy lost some of the momentum based movement and speed and acrobaticness of the previous 3D marios, not to mention some of the moves.

Discuss
>>
>>2927883
Parallel universes
>>
>>2929152

I dont actually like the Mario Galaxy games.
They are good, but replaying them feels like replaying a 300 hours rpg that leaves you exhausted, It is a "play one time every 10 years" game.

64 and Bros 3 are my favorites, and the only Super Mario games I would put in top 100 videogames list.
>>
Wasn't the Mario face coded by some American programmer who worked for Nintendo?
>>
>>2929152
SMG was fun and all that, and I appreciate how they tried to do more of a blend of the open SM64 style with the more linear style of the 2D games, but I felt that level designed suffered overall. Now there were absolutely many fantastic levels, but there were also a ton of times where I felt like I was just jumping from small planetoid to small planetoid collecting yet another 5 star pieces to jump to the next planetoid. I would've liked seeing more fuckhuge explorable levels full of platforming goodness and gravity shenanigans. Which there was, but I wanted there to be more of it.
>>
>>2929338
I can agree with this. Spectacle is a big part of the Galaxy games, so they aren't something you'll replay often.
>>
>>2927814
Holy shit this game completely blew my mind back in the day. I had never seen a 3D game, much less one where you could walk freely anywhere.

I saw it on a TV show and my mouth was on the floor.
>>
I remember the first time I saw Mario in a 3D environment. When will I ever see anything else that amazes me in such a way? I look back at it now and it looks so simple. And today I could look at the most complex piece of animation or video game design and it makes me feel nothing.

I feel like a frog in a pot of water that's coming up to boiling temperature. Pretty soon we'll have technology that we won't even be able to distinguish from reality and it's not going to impress me or anyone else.

But Mario 64 did it with just a few polygons.
>>
File: raisingscuttlebug.png (991KB, 748x1048px) Image search: [Google]
raisingscuttlebug.png
991KB, 748x1048px
Movie tie-ins.
>>
>>2928860
Galaxy, when I first played it, quite honestly broke my heart because of how beautiful and fun it was. It felt like playing a Miyazaki film.
>>
>>2928897
Have you ever played Smash Bros.? Mario is a shit character.
>>
>>2928860
Unrelated but waggleshit definitely got fixed on wii u. New super mario bros was irritating with its motion controls but in mario maker its engine is so much better.
>>2928897
This is deviantart-tier copypasta.
>>
PARALLEL
>>
>>2929104
Reading the stuff he thought about while developing 64 is truly the work of a genius.

It's a shame that he was outpaced by technology. He still makes incredibly fun games to this day, but he's getting older and his prime work is far behind him.
>>
>>2929104
>Stevie Wonder, or Joni Mitchell.
I'm trying to figure out why these are your go-to examples for genius.
>>
>>2929416
I don't know, man. Every time Nintendo teases a new game with one of their old characters, it gets me giddy. I mean, the first Zelda Wii U trailer was so exciting to me because- this is it, we're finally getting Zelda in HD. And not only that, but open world! (Hopefully) like the classic! Same with Mario. 3D World is beautiful and has so much charm to it.

Speaking of 3D World, while it's less of a spectacle than Galaxy I feel it is a better game, by far. It's the true envisioning of a 3D Mario game, with all the charm, platforming, and forward movement the old games had to them.
>>
>>2928860
Waggle and controller didn't bother me.

Everyone says the controls are great but I can't stand them. Mario feels too heavy, too slow. His movements feel too tied to his animations and while it looks natural, it feels unnatural to play.

Also, I can't stand the "muh spheres" bullshit. Galaxy 2 does away with a lot of it, but whatever. The game depends too much on that and it got old pretty quick. It's disorienting for me, and moving around on the planetoids tends to highlight the problems with the controls, especially when the game can't decide is the control stick is oriented to the screen of the TV, or to the 3D space inside of it. So "forward" on the stick very easily suddenly inexplicably causes Mario to move towards the foreground in the most extreme cases.

I should just do a Youtube of me playing Galaxy and bitching about it. I'm good at it, but I can't fucking stand it. Every now and then I play it to give it one more "chance" but I immediately start bitching and you just see how fundamentally broken the game is and I crack jokes and bullshit about it. Cracks my girlfriend up. I wonder if it's really that funny.
>>
>>2929742
>with all the charm, platforming, and forward movement the old games had to them.

I'll admit that it did nail a great blending of 2D and 3D styles. But forward movement? Mario and Co stutter before they jump, and it ruins the momentum for me. ALthough I did enjoy it. It just irritated me that it had the potential to be so much more objective based like 64, and it wasn't. Strangely, 3DL gave me that giddy sense of "new" that 64 did, even though I played it after 3DW, and 3DW did not give me that sense.
>>
File: okay.png (271KB, 1650x1059px) Image search: [Google]
okay.png
271KB, 1650x1059px
Think about a generic N64 scene, sure, the ground and characters are somewhat low-poly, but there's a lot of them. Not to mention the extra processing power that goes into the physics math.

Now, think of the It's-a-me, Mario -scene. There's no background models, no other characters, just the cursor and 10 quads in the foreground. There's still plenty of processing power left and they pushed it to the limit.

1213 polygons is "a lot" of polygons.
>>
>>2929906
I wasn't talking about literal momentum, sorry. The way you progress through levels and take on different themes and challenges has the same momentum as older games.

But no, 3D Mario shouldn't be objective based like 64. Super Mario 64 was a game that justified 3D space, not Mario's place in it. 3DW is a game that takes 2D Mario's core themes and places them in a 3D environment. It's fun, innocent, and celebratory.

While I love Super Mario 64 and even Super Mario Sunshine, that style of play should be given to another member of the Nintendo family. It's not Mario, it's more of an adventure. I think the collect-a-thon style of gameplay would work better for Kirby than it would Mario, honestly. Just because I say that doesn't mean I don't appreciate Super Mario 64 and Sunshine, though. Miyamoto created something important with the original games- the feeling of control and weight in movement. In the same way, 64 does that in 3D, and I give the man a lot of credit for it. My ideal Mario game would have the moveset of 64 or Sunshine mixed with the level design of 3DW, though with additional movement options you could make 3DW level design even MORE interesting.

3D Land, by the way, is not my favorite game in any way. Boring level design, crappy music, no difficulty curve, and lacking originality.
>>
It's not even that good game. Levels are small and short, jumping feels like out of place compared to other mario games and the camera is the worst ever. Controlling the camera feels so bad and often you can't get the camera to any good place so you'd actually see where you're jumping.
>>
>>2927875
Yes we were promised 128 Marios AKA Mario 128 by Miyamoto but it was a slanderous lie and he did it to destroy us and his own company and succeeded at both.
>>
So is this Mario "lol parallel universes!!!" thing going to mean we get 5 SM64 threads a day until March?
>>
>>2930063
Looks like. Get ready for 4chan's EPIC new meme!! This knee-slapper NEVER gets OLD!!!
>>
>>2930071
>>2930063

Yes. Courtesy of our new lord and master /v/.
>>
>>2930071
>>2930080
Maybe this will be evidence that doing things that could attract /v users is not good for the health of the board (see: updating rules to include 6th gen)
>>
>>2928860
U R MR GAY
>>
>>2930092
Don't let the terrorists win, anon. It may not have been OP's intention but the thread still had some good discussion in it.
Not as good as the previous two threads, granted, but that's to be expected.
>>
>>2928934
>>2928941
>>2929465
neo-/v/ at its finest
>>
File: mario64canvasjump.png (604KB, 856x636px) Image search: [Google]
mario64canvasjump.png
604KB, 856x636px
How were you supposed to know to enter the painting without jumping?
>>
How does Nintendo do any of the amazing things it does? They hire highly creative people with a passion for what the do. They have a strict, acute sense for what is fun and what isn't. They take that raw talent and turn it into games.
>>
>>2929465
Mario's pretty good in Smash
>>
>>2930223

You have to read the manual.
>>
>>2928860
Oh good, I'm not alone in this.

I've always felt that Galaxy was bland and soulless, but whenever I voice that opinion, the Galaxy defense force comes out and says "maybe you're just too old to enjoy fun Nintendo games Anon, the problem is with you. :^)"
>>
>>2930223
When you touch the painting it ripples.
>>
>>2930223
>only open door in the entire castle
>room is completely empty save for a massive painting
>design of the room "leads" toward the painting as the main eyecatch
>walk up to it and the painting ripples, letting you know something is amiss
>>
>>2930347
Yeah but nothing tells you to jump into it. And there's nothing even telling you how to jump, I though the game was just running around in the main floor when I was a kid. I was 15 before realizing you could go in the paintings.
>>
>>2929932
>1213 polygons is "a lot" of polygons

Yeah, nah. Maybe if you can't compress them well enough they could be a memory hassle, but the N64 had enough processing power to decompress at every frame.
>>
File: mario64.jpg (109KB, 640x459px) Image search: [Google]
mario64.jpg
109KB, 640x459px
>>2930352
>I though the game was just running around in the main floor when I was a kid. I was 15 before realizing you could go in the paintings.

There's no way I believe anyone is this stupid. Bait harder.
>>
>>2930352
Are you retarded?
>>
>>2930352

It's called not being a retard and trying things out rather than waiting to be spoonfed.

But you're shitposting so I'll leave it at that.
>>
>>2930361
What? You do realize that vertices don't take up much space, ROM or RAM right?
>>
>play mario 64
>horrible unresponsive controls and clunky movement
>horrid camera angles
>some of the most uncreative level design ever imagined
>10fps

BEST MARIO GAME EVER NINTENDO IS THE GREATEST
>>
>>2930380
This, I honestly think it's the worst Mario game. That camerasystem is just unforgivable.
>>
>>2930386
Maybe if you're too thick to use the R button to center the camera behind Mario
>>
File: 1450823230661.jpg (49KB, 672x492px) Image search: [Google]
1450823230661.jpg
49KB, 672x492px
>>2930380
>>
>>2930386
the only redeeming enjoyment from the game is the music
>>
>>2930380
>>2930352
ITT these two things. Mario 64 is a horrible game. I knew I wasn't the only one with these problems.
>>
>>2930352
I know this is bait but I was literally 4 when I played Mario 64 for the first time and I knew I had to jump in the paintings.
>>
>>2930390
It still doesn't work very well, camera should be free and have no angles.
>>
>>2930419
Mario is free and has no angles. And the R button can be used to change the camera to whatever Mario is facing. So it is free if you aren't stupid.
>>
>>2930352
A toad to the right of the starting area tells you right away that the princess and stars are trapped in the paintings.
>>
>>2930380
>horrible unresponsive controls

Did you play it with a keyboard or something? Go watch a speedrun of the game and tell me the controls are horrible and unresponsive.
>>
>>2927814
Some retard over at NoJ said "Howa can we make consure that look rike lunch turds and try and market it as highry advance gaming computah?" and the N64 was born
>>
>>2930427
>change camera behind mario
>start running somewhere else than straigth forward
>camera is pointing somewhere else again
>have to constantly press R instead of controlling camera freely from analog stick
>>
>>2930430
They feel a bit out of place compared to other mario games, and every level feels like ice level because mario feel so slippery.
>>
>>2930428
There is no toad to the right. And how do you talk to the roads?
>>
>>2929104

i can get stevie wonder... but JONI FUCKING MITCHELL, DUDE!!??? LOL
>>
Man, with how some people were forcing the whole "Mario 64 is dated! it's not a real platformer!" this new meme sure must get them salty.
>>
>>2930430
>Go watch a speedrun
this should be a bannable offense
>>
>>2930430
He probably just watched the Gamegrumps playthrough and assumed that Arin had legitimate grievances as opposed to just being terrible at videogames.
>>
>>2930506
Why? He made a good point, if 12 year old millenials can play the game skillfully then so can you.
>>
>>2930506
Why?
>>
>>2930510
With a lot of time every one can master even shittiest games. Mario 64 isn't shit, but it really isn't that great and has it's flaws.
>>
>>2930520
Maybe you should just git gud and stop blaming the game for your shortcomings.
>>
>>2930521
Yeah. I'm honestly not sure what "unresponsive controls" these people could be talking about. If you want Mario to walk over there, he walks over there. It's pretty simple. If you're complaining about failing a precision platforming section, well... they're supposed to be hard. I never felt like the game was being unfair to me.
>>
>>2930506
the speedrunning community for sm64 would not be nearly as big as it is if the game had shitty controls, that much is for sure
>>
>>2930439

You mean momentum? The thing that every single mario game has, and a part of why they're fun?

I swear to christ, I haven't heard people saying this kind of shit until recently. The only complaints I ever heard about mario 64 was the graphics and camera, but now all of sudden everyone is complaining about the controls.
>>
>>2927814

Miyamoto spent a shitload of time just chasing a rabbit around and fucking around with the controls until it felt right.
>>
>>2928354
Ironically Galaxy went into a completely new direction while Sunsine was just 64 with a gimmick and less polished.
>>
>>2930509
>He probably just watched the Gamegrumps playthrough

please add 104.16.66.203 localhost to your hosts file and never come back
>>
File: 1244091928065.png (216KB, 288x356px) Image search: [Google]
1244091928065.png
216KB, 288x356px
>>2930380
>>
>>2930614
Maybe if he spent more time making games instead of doing lsd and raping woodland critters Mario 64 could be a better game.
>>
>>2930642

>egoraptor complains that the game has shitty controls because he's bad at it
>suddenly everyone starts saying mario 64 has bad controls

i'm sure it's just a coincidence :^)
>>
>>2930684
people that watch gamegrumps love and praise nintendo, that is their entire demographic. it is an overrated mario game
>>
>>2930690

>love and praise nintendo

except when egoraptor says one of their games is bad
>>
File: 2legit2quit.png (144KB, 750x1000px) Image search: [Google]
2legit2quit.png
144KB, 750x1000px
>>2929104
>Joni Mitchell
Isn't she completely insane now? If you're gonna compare Miyamoto to another famous person, why not David Gilmour? It seems moore fitting
>>
>>2929416
Have you used a Vive? It's really goddamn immersive literally walking around a VR environment, even the size of a small room.

When you take the headset off after a couple hours, you actually feel a bit unwell from the shock of real reality rushing back around you.
>>
>>2929372
Never heard of this, but if I had to guess a foreigner genius-programmer working there in the mid-90s it'd be Dylan Cuthbert.
>>
>>2930447
There is in DS remake
>>
>>2928860
leftie here, never had problems playing nintendo's wii game with chuck in my left and mote in my right. Only autistic manbabies that never actually played wii or were fat lazy pieces of shit took issue with the controller. Only real reason to hate on wii & nintendo's backward thinking was the lack of hd output & hdmi. Which in hindsight nintendo had to be regretting, due to how long that console generation dragged on and how that affected sales toward the end.
>>
>>2927861
Nintendo is nothing without him, Gunpei, and Iwata
>>
>>2930684
I didn't play that game until it came out on the Wii VC and I loved every fucking second of it.
The controls are perfect and the major autismo grievance is the camera which is adjustable and works just fine.
>>
>>2929384
I came here to post this.

Mario 64 Worlds = Big nonlinear playsets where you can collect stars in any order you want in any order (most of the time) using only the titles as clues.

Mario Galaxy Worlds = Once you select the star, they give you a pre-defined route to the star without any room for meaningful exploration.
>>
>>2932267
This isn't news to anybody. It also doesn't matter. When Mario 64 came out, exploring an open 3D space in a game was an amazing novelty. When Galaxy came out, a thousand games offered that sort of experience better than a Mario game could deliver it.

Galaxy lost nothing for the change.
>>
>>2930690
yes, famous youtube channel gamegrumps invented the notion that super mario 64 is a good game. you're a fucking genius.
>>
>>2932298
They are the trendsetters for literally hundreds of thousands of children and young teenagers, it's not a ridiculous notion to say that their opinions can be passed onto someone who hasn't played the game.

When I was a teenager I was really gullible for parroting opinions, I think most kids are.
>>
File: SmugT.jpg (11KB, 441x408px) Image search: [Google]
SmugT.jpg
11KB, 441x408px
>>2928354
I actually played it all the way though in two all nighters it was comfy as fuck and actually kinda hard.
>>
>>2932309
Why would children care about the relative quality of Mario 64? Game grumps put out videos about a lot of games.
>>
>>2932202

The kids watching game grumps aren't going to actually play the game though, and if they do, they'll force themselves to not like it.
>>
>>2932309
I don't know about children (don't imagine that too many watch and if they did I don't know how many would care about the old games themselves), but definitely teenagers. And many of them are likely teenagers who think that GG are cool, knowledgeable, and trendy "big kids" who know what they're talking about. They also probably feel that their opinions are "safe" and can therefore be regurgitated among their group of nerdy hipster friends without fear of having a wrong opinion (not to mention that said friends likely watch GG as well). I wonder how many copies of Goof Troop have been doomed to a fate of sporadic 20 minute plays after someone going over to a friend's house says "Wow, Goof Troop! I loved when Game Grumps played that!," to be ended only after the youth determine that GG and old games are no longer cool.
>>
>>2930092
No anon, that IS an actual meme. You think /v/ users care about 6th gen or even discuss it?
Thread posts: 125
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.