[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the worst game you ever bought as a kid? Pic related,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 104
Thread images: 27

File: South_Park_Chef's_Luv_Shack.jpg (56KB, 500x448px) Image search: [Google]
South_Park_Chef's_Luv_Shack.jpg
56KB, 500x448px
What's the worst game you ever bought as a kid?

Pic related, I begged my parents for this game for weeks before they finally caved in and bought it for me, just thinking about it still makes me feel guilty. I only played it for maybe 10 minutes before giving up and never touching it again. Fuck.
>>
File: 1441592606255.gif (29KB, 430x650px) Image search: [Google]
1441592606255.gif
29KB, 430x650px
OP again

I vaguely remember my Dad saying no and knowing that it was probably garbage because he knew better about TV/Movie licensed games, but they still bought it for me anyway. It makes you realize how much your parents really love you, willing to waste money on a game just to make you happy even while knowing you'll probably never play it again. So many bad games are bought with parents money.
>>
>>2927719
I was mostly pretty happy with my game purchases as a kid. It wasn't until I got older and I bought games like Other M that I encountered a "10 minutes and never again" kind of game.

The Game Boys always had a lot of shovelware. I think I had a Looney Tunes game on the GBC that kinda sucked.

>>2927727
Dude, I know. Over the past few years, when I've had less time to play games, I've started slowly accumulating a pile of Christmas and birthday games that I've never even opened. And yet my parents keep buying stuff for me. Bless them. I need to put a moratorium on buying new games until I clean out my backlog...
>>
>>2927731
It wasn't the Bugs and Lola one, was it?
Don't ruin my nostalgia blindness, anon. That game was fun when I was a kid.
>>
>>2927738
Nah, it was Sylvester and Tweety.
>>
File: Rocket_Robot_on_Wheels_Cover.jpg (69KB, 410x300px) Image search: [Google]
Rocket_Robot_on_Wheels_Cover.jpg
69KB, 410x300px
>>2927727
some of those random relative bought games turn out to be the best though. I got this and glover for christmas once from an uncle who just thought they looked fun, and they were amazing.
>>
File: Way_of_the_Samurai_2_cover.jpg (22KB, 256x363px) Image search: [Google]
Way_of_the_Samurai_2_cover.jpg
22KB, 256x363px
>>2927719
It sounded so good in the previews. Too bad everything boiled down to hold block, counter horizontal or vertical strike. It took a shit on everything that was fun about the 1st.
>>
Johnny Bravo's Date-o-Rama. Absolute garbage.
>>
Well Superman 64 was the big one, but also something like biofreaks for me as a kid was not enjoyable,
>>
>>2927731
But anon, other M was great.
>>
>>2927747
That was the only one that was bad really.
>>
File: 1822018-021.jpg (55KB, 625x640px) Image search: [Google]
1822018-021.jpg
55KB, 625x640px
>>2927719
Bought Chef's Luv Shack for PS1. Absolute garbage. Nowadays I can enjoy the humorous dialogue, but back then the questions seemed like nonsense to me.

>can't play against AI, so single player is just pointless mini games with pointless questions

The absolute worst game would be E.T for PS1 (known as "E.T. Interplanetary Mission" in America). Shitty level design, horrible controls that don't fit the horrible isometric view, enemies that move so fast you don't see them before they hit you, and no fucking music. Just moans, groans, and other retarded sound effects.

The final cutscene is the same as the intro cutscene, just reversed. This is something I read online, as I never played it for more than 15 minutes.
>>
I don't really know what I was thinking. I was 10 when I got this.
>>
>>2928209
this looks and sounds worse than the atari version
>>
>>2928209
ET is like videogame fun kryptonite.
>>
File: Final_Fantasy_Mystic_US_boxart.jpg (47KB, 495x343px) Image search: [Google]
Final_Fantasy_Mystic_US_boxart.jpg
47KB, 495x343px
still bitter, too
>>
Duke Nukem on the Gamecom. It was just a slow, plodding mess.

https://youtu.be/V72P9-6S7qM
>>
>>2928662
The fact that you had a game com might be the problem not so much the DN part.
>>
>>2928628
Shame, I always liked that one it was totally fun for me. But I guess it's not for everyone.
>>
>>2928685
Oh, no doubt. I wish I could remember what made me want one.
>>
I had Chef's Luv Shack on PC of all platforms when I was a kid and I loved it. The questions made barely any sense and the mini-games were quite poor but I played the shit out of it.
>>
File: crystal-s-pony-tale-usa.png (362KB, 350x484px) Image search: [Google]
crystal-s-pony-tale-usa.png
362KB, 350x484px
>>2928215
you should have got this. Its pretty fun.
>>
>>2927731
I've come to the conclusion that I and my two buddies are the only people who actually liked Other M, though most of my enjoyment came from the story. I guess the way I see it is that it's a good game, but a bad Metroid.

Pic related, I wish I could say I didn't have fun playing this, but holy shit it was hilarious. I suppose I wasn't a "kid" when I got it (I was 10), and I got it fully aware that it was going to be terrible, but it was the only really bad game I ever owned.
>>
>>2928697
unrelated but I remember when I was a kid I was fascinated with handhelds, they just seemed so cool to have something portable like that

I kinda feel like that charm is ruined now, like I'm sure that's why nobody buys handheld systems anymore.
>>
>>2928789
GOTTA BLAST
>>
>>2928737
I wasn't gay. Just stupid.
>>
>>2928806
My sister and I still have inside jokes about this game.

I think the only thing that was genuinely fun to me was the moon landing minigame.
>>
>>2928789
10, not a "kid"

how are those early teen years working out for you?
>>
>>2928789
That looks like a cheap Taiwanese pirated game.
>>
>>2928836
A-anon...I have bad news.
>>
>>2928804
I guess that's true. I was gonna buy it when it first came out but then changed my mind. Same thing happened with the ngage so I dodged two bullets. I'm sure there are some good games for each but I can't justify a whole console for one game.
Also handheld aren't dead just anything that isn't nintendo is a crap shoot.
>>
>>2927753
I was just playing this before I got on here, fucking loved this game ever since I was a kid.
>>
>>2927719
I remember using most of my disposable income on games as a youngant. The first game that comes to my mind is Azure Dreams on Playstation. I remember reading the manual, and the shit on the box. I was like "fuck what a cool ass game". Shit straight sucked. After a few minutes I never played that shit again.
>>
>>2928628
Dude, in 9th grade my friend Randy had this game. I never heard of it. I was like "Mystic Quest"? He's like, yeah man like Final Fantasy. So we swapped games (not for keeps, and I let him borrow Phantasy Star 4) Next day Im like, take this shit back breh.
>>
Didn't buy it, but I rented Rise of the Robots as a kid. Don't remember it all too well, but I think it was a beat it quickly sort of deal that left me like "Is that it?"
>>
One chap went from being an artist on Chef's Love Shack to Senior Animator on GTA V.

http://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,199785/
>>
Do rentals count? If so, Mortal Kombat Mythologies on N64 was god awful.
>>
WCW Nitro on 64.
>>
>>2928836
>Released in 2002
>I was 10

Do you even math?
>>
I never bought any games, I just played whatever my parents and relatives gave to me.

I enjoyed every game I got, except for this. Super Battleship was more fun.
>>
Metroid Other M was such a huge disappointment.

I am a huge Metroid fan(Super Metroid and the Prime series are some of my favorite games of all time, 100% every one of them. Honorable mention goes to Zero Mission) and a huge CUHRAYZEE stylish action game fan. I love Ninja Gaiden(100% every game, beaten all on PotM, sped run, fucking love em)

So you'd think that Other M would have been my dream game right? Nope. God dammit. I have never been more crushed by a game than I was by Other M. Super Smash Bros. Brawl was probably another game that really let me down.

Im 24 now and I've played lots of bad games, but those two were easily the biggest disappointments for me.

To keep it retro though, I wasn't too fond of Pokemon Snap. I remember hating how it didn't fucking work, I ended up taking it back to the store and getting BattleTanx 2 instead. Had a lot of fun with that one.
>>
>>2929219
>I remember hating how it didn't fucking work

what didn't work on Snap?
>>
>>2929225

Voice commands. Either the mic my game came with was busted out of the box, or the game just didn't work right. Either way, I hated the game and got BattleTanx 2 instead. Had a lot more fun.
>>
>>2929230

Ah, you mean Hey You Pikachu, not Snap.
Snap was a great game.
>>
>>2929225
>>2929219
>>2929230

I'm thinking of Hey You Pikachu. Excuse me, Im a moron.
>>
>>2927753
Sometimes the only way a person can play a hidden gem is a random crazy uncle.

My crazy uncle was studying Arabic (is actually a retired Arabic professor at a college today) during the NES days and gave me Magic of Scherezade for my birthday because it was the only Arabic looking video game out there.

And I still love that fucking game.

> still remember being afraid he'd go to jail after 9/11, because 9/11 paranoia
>>
>>2928217
The Atari version is actually a standard quality VCS game in those final shovelware years.
>>
>>2928628
It was the perfect first RPG when I was like 8 or 9.
>>
File: king's_crusade_t.jpg (311KB, 576x796px) Image search: [Google]
king's_crusade_t.jpg
311KB, 576x796px
I PAID £15 FOR THIS PILE OF SHIT!

Now it sits on steam, and everytime I see it . . . .It makes me feel sick!
>>
>>2928836
Wow... you're just... really bad at math.

Like simple elementary school stuff...
>>
>>2929235
I was so excited to play Hey You Pikachu as a kid. It seemed like the coolest idea.

I'm pretty sure the mic didn't actually do anything, and Pikachu would just do random things every once in a while.
>>
>>2929276
Apparently it works you just have to speak veeery clearly and enunciate your balls off.

Didn't help I have a deep south accent, I had to Yankee-up to have this yellow fucker to understand me.

These are things adults usually don't have patience for, much less a kid that after the electric piss-rat doesn't understand you after 3 goes you start screaming at.
>>
File: South_Park_Rally_PS.jpg (105KB, 640x627px) Image search: [Google]
South_Park_Rally_PS.jpg
105KB, 640x627px
>>2927719
I don't know man, I really enjoyed South Park Rally, and I still do. There's something about the questionable physics, odd level layouts and dodgy steering that just speaks to me. I know the game is shit. I still think it's fun to play.
Trying out Chef's Luv Shack a couple years ago, I had a decently good time with it, but I can imagine playing it as a kid would be a painful experience.
>>
File: I feel alright.gif (498KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
I feel alright.gif
498KB, 500x375px
>>2929295
It also helps if you're not a youngin' to pitch-up your voice, since the game/VRU was made with kids voices in mind
>>
File: Kabuki_Warriors_Coverart.png (160KB, 256x363px) Image search: [Google]
Kabuki_Warriors_Coverart.png
160KB, 256x363px
As far as retro games are concerned, my parents never bought me a bad one. I was one discriminating kid, so I knew what I liked, and my parents respected my wishes.

Now a game I bought on my own volition that was bad, this sucker:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMfpJYKg3Lk

And to think I could've gotten a better launch title. I felt like a sucker.
>>
>>2929219
What makes you think that 100% a game makes you a bigger lover of the series than anyone else and what relevance does it have to the story?
>>
>>2929219
I read what you said then noticed you are 24 this explains why you think other M and brawl are bad. Sorry for your retardation anon hope you get better.
>>
File: Awesome_Possum_cover.jpg (180KB, 280x397px) Image search: [Google]
Awesome_Possum_cover.jpg
180KB, 280x397px
I was still in high school when i bought this shit. does that count?
>>
>>2929194
I thought Spidey's stages were really fun, everything else was way too difficult.
>>
>>2928789
Oh, you think thats shit? I had to play that pile of fuck on the GBA.
>>
>>2929636
Not who you were replying to, but I didn't like Other M. It wasn't terrible, but just didn't feel like Metroid to me. Now Smash Bros..... Love every one!
>>
>>2929660
I have noticed that every other version of Smash Bros besides Melee just makes me wish I was playing Melee.
>>
>>2929660
Really? I don't mind most of the changes on the latest versions. I don't own a Wii U so I got it for the 3DS and I've been loving it. Its one of the few reasons I want a Wii U.
>>
>>2929630

At what point did I say that im better than anyone for 100%ing a game? Why are you upset? Im just saying i genuinely loved these games so much that I played them over and over, eventually 100%d them

The fact that you got butthurt over what i do with my video games is pathetic anon. Relax.
>>
>>2929636

What does age have to do with it? Brawl was a huge let down for me personally. Melee was the sequel I expected from 64. Brawl was sich a step back from even the 64 version for me.

Notice how i havent declared my opinion as fact? Go defend Brawl elsewhere you faggot.
>>
File: Grouchlandgameboy.jpg (49KB, 473x500px) Image search: [Google]
Grouchlandgameboy.jpg
49KB, 473x500px
As a kid I was perceptive enough to recognize a poor-looking game when I saw one.

A friend of my mother once offered me to pick any gb games from a shelf and I went with Hamtaro Ham Ham's Unite. One other birthday, though, she set a price bar that was so low this was actually the only affordable game.

I reached the end before we got home.
>>
>>2929194
Atleast it had good music.
>>
File: Last_Battle.jpg (38KB, 256x360px) Image search: [Google]
Last_Battle.jpg
38KB, 256x360px
I had this as a kid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAbJB0P6pHM , always thought it was too hard and not really fun. And when you get into the basement levels it's just constant arrows and potatoes falling from the roof. Only fun thing was getting stronger as you fight people, but it really didn't matter because bosses we're so ridiculously hard anyway.

Another disappointment I remember is Worms on PS1. I had tried Worms 2 on friends PC and lovet it, then my parents told me I'm getting PlayStation for christmas and I can choose one game for it. So, naturally I thought that the Worms on PS1 is the same I played earlier. I still remember how it felt to play that game first time and realizing it looks way worse and doesn't even have any special weapons.
>>
File: space dude.jpg (138KB, 800x955px) Image search: [Google]
space dude.jpg
138KB, 800x955px
>reading vidya magazine
>see review about Space Dude
>teeny tiny screenshots, but they look awesome
>motherfucking 3D GRAPHICS?!!
>get the game
>it's one of the most surreal and bizarre experiences that feel like a dream when I think about playing it

Just look at this shit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiydRhOuRW8

And the voice acting oh god. I never made too far in this game, but it was always fun to see the different death animations. Even back then I thought this game was creepy as fuck, and pretty shitty.
>>
>>2929260
if it makes you feel any better you can delete games from your steam account now
>>
>>2927719
My parents bought my brother Superman 64 for his birthday one day, he literally cried his eyes out, then my mum cried. It was fucking really devastating emotionally.
>>
>>2928217
It definitely is. There is no novelty to the PS1 game. No "so-bad-it's-good" factor at all. Just boring and frustrating.

I was so hyped for that piece of shit as well. For some reason I really liked E.T. as a kid, and I desperately wanted some kind of adventure game based on it. Sadly my spidey sense didn't warn me about licensed PS1 games released in 2003. I got royally fucked by Ubisoft.
>>
>>2930394
Why would anyone ever do that?
>>
>>2928887
>>2929170
>>2929268

>not getting it
>implying you can only buy games the year it was released

I'm not even that poster, but you guys are not properly medicated. He was obviously just pointing out that 10 year olds are generally considered to be "kids" by most people, and that only a young teenager would say otherwise. Think before you post.
>>
>>2930562
you obviously haven't bought anything from humble bundle in 2011/2012
>>
File: snes_spider-man_p_eybxeq.jpg (34KB, 475x347px) Image search: [Google]
snes_spider-man_p_eybxeq.jpg
34KB, 475x347px
>>2927719
This game.
>>
>>2927719
Ihave a factory sealed copy of this game I picked up for $1-$2 and never had the desire to open.
>>
File: 2817_front.jpg (68KB, 640x468px) Image search: [Google]
2817_front.jpg
68KB, 640x468px
"Just like Mortal kombat" the seller told me
>>
File: biofreaksn64[1].jpg (56KB, 640x466px) Image search: [Google]
biofreaksn64[1].jpg
56KB, 640x466px
>>2927719
You didn't buy that though. Here's something I actually bought. If it's worst games period then it'd be something like MIB: Crashdown, 007 Racing or 007 the World is Not Enough.

PS1 had so much shovelware it's unbelievable.
>>
>>2927747
>>2927947
I remember spending a lot of time on this
>that music
It's all coming back to me
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imIayQH0GSM
>>
>>2929654
>I thought Spidey's stages were really fun, everything else was way too difficult.
>Gambit stage
>Storm stage

Fuck
>>
>>2931267
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fXib3egXKs

this was the one I had. it looks slightly better
>>
Worst game I bought was Jurassic Park on SNES. I could see it being fun if they removed the choppy indoor wolfenstein segments and added a save feature, but otherwise it's just replaying the same first 10 minutes of the game over and over until you get bored and go do something else. It's like the developers never gave any thought to what it would be like playing the game outside of the debugging mode.

>>2928628
This game is good.
>>
File: 2.jpg (21KB, 350x312px) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
21KB, 350x312px
seriously FUCK this game
>>
>>2930394
I love you anon .... :D THANK YOU!
>>
File: Postal_(PC)_01.png (152KB, 640x400px) Image search: [Google]
Postal_(PC)_01.png
152KB, 640x400px
>see game at E3 1997
>it's portrayed as an extremely violent murder simulator
>finally get my hands on it
>turns out to be a sluggish isometric shooter with abysmal controls
the loading screens still gave me nightmares
>>
I got lucky i guess. Most of the games my parents bought me, i loved! But of course, as with most kids, my parents threw away the boxes over time.
>>
>>2931954
I really want to like this game because I absolutely love Postal 2, but the controls are simply just too shitty. Let's hope the remake will revive Postal 1.
>>
>>2929805
Nah, all the smash games are pretty good. But only an idiot thinks that melee is the best one tho. They all are good in thier own rights but melee was a glitchy mess.
>>
>>2929794
Look back at what you wrote, read it and tell me you aren't the biggest shit head to every place your hands upon a controller and I promise I won't laugh to much and you trying to defend that statement.
>>
>>2929630
That's not what he said, you seem to be projecting quite hard man.
>>
File: pain.jpg (14KB, 300x170px) Image search: [Google]
pain.jpg
14KB, 300x170px
went to kmart to try and pick out an m rated game. looked for half an hour as my mother shopped. decided ill get shadow man, kick ass. the time came where the worker opened the glass door along side my mom. I chickened out while i was pointing and picked this right next to it. head hanging in shame. all the cool games they had and i choked on this turd.
>>
File: some say im the best.jpg (60KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
some say im the best.jpg
60KB, 1280x720px
>>2930052
>>
File: kermitthefrogkermit.jpg (28KB, 300x400px) Image search: [Google]
kermitthefrogkermit.jpg
28KB, 300x400px
>>2932631

I don't see the problem faggot. Go cry elsewhere. You are a huge manbaby for getting upset over someone else talking about what they've done with a video game. I can't believe how pathetic you're being, but then again, this board has turned into /v/ 2.0 and sometimes I forget.

>>2932626

>only an idiot thinks that melee is the best one
>tho
>glitchy mess

You don't know what you're talking about, anon. Melee is not a glitchy mess(and the bugs that do occur, like Kirby's Grabs fucking up are quite funny). Melee does not force input buffers upon the player. Melee is the best Smash game period. Melee does not have stupid floaty physics that force gameplay to be simple 1 or 2 hit exchanges nor does it have a boring focus on defensive play.

You want to talk about bullshit in Smash? Let's talk about how Snake's ftilt hitbox was so huge that it didn't come anywhere close to matching his leg and how easily abused this was. All because they forgot about it during development. Snake was resized over the course of development for Brawl, and they forgot to change a hitbox. How? I could go on and on with Brawl's problems, and in the end its still a "fun" game, but to say that people that think Melee is the best are "idiots" shows you just don't know the series as well as you think you do. It's subjective in the end, so get over it. I never accused anyone of anything, but YOU did.

I gave my personal feelings on the matter. That is all. Get over it. Melee is my favorite.
>>
>>2932620
hopefully it won't just end up being a re-skinned Hatred.
>>
>>2927945
Not him, but no it wasn't. It was the most linear and unexplorable out of any game in the franchise, and the story was garbage and full of plotholes.
>>
>>2929649
Whats the point of the speech bubble if it doesn't say anything?
>>
>>2934212
Glad that's only an opinion.
Other M was a lot of fun. Almost as much as prime.
>>
>>2932740
I'm glad melee is your fave that's nice and all but it's still a glitchy mess that the spergs think is the best. And that's fine let's the spergs stay over there playing it ill play what ever one suits my fancy.
>>
>>2932638
Samefag harder.
It's ok ill wait.
>>
>>2928628
What is bad about this game?
>>
>>2928628
This was the first FF game I played as a kid and I really liked it, It was designed to be baby's first JRPG and in that it is successful.
>>
>>2927719

HOME ALONE ON GAMEBOY MUTHERFUCKER!!!
>>
>>2931519
haha, are those podracers? what was so bad about it?
Thread posts: 104
Thread images: 27

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.