[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>What I’d really like to make is a game with a system that

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

File: sorcerian-pc88.jpg (167KB, 487x734px) Image search: [Google]
sorcerian-pc88.jpg
167KB, 487x734px
>What I’d really like to make is a game with a system that allows total freedom for the player. For example, despite it being a sword and sorcery world, the hero decides to do nothing and just quietly enjoy his life as a local baker in town. If everyone could take up different roles in some kind of computer networked game, I think it would be really fun.
- Falcom's Yoshio Kiya, 1987

did anyone actualize his dream game?
>>
>>2926968
everquest project 1999

That fucker greengrocer never does anything but bake and haggle over foragables/rare fish/butchered enemy carcasses.

He pays good though.
>>
> Describing Ultima 4
>>
>>2926989
Plus UO
>>
>>2926989
Kiya's early games were heavily influenced by Ultima, so I'm sure he played and enjoyed Ultima 4 but it wasn't what he was looking for.
>>
>>2926968
How are the console versions (Megadrive, Dreamcast) of this game?
>>
>>2927571
They have a limited number of scenarios.
>>
>>2926968
I thiiink Ultima Online actually comes really damn close to this, but that's about all I can come up with.
>>
>>2927571
>>2927574
The MegaDrive version is made up of new scenarios specific to it at least so it's just just a gimped version of the original ones

I vaguely remember the Dreamcast version being really clunky even by Sorcerian standards. I want to say it was shit.
>>
>>2927571
Completely awesome.
>>
>>2927574
>>2927613
>>2927623
So i should play the Megadrive version?
I don't feel like emulating but this looks really interesting. I should have asked first what versions are translated though.
>>
>>2927571
Never played the dremcast version, the Megadrive one is ok, it's a really clunky game though so be warned.
Avoid bats
>>
>>2927625
>I should have asked first what versions are translated though.
The MS DOS version. That's it

But Sierra fucked up and messed up half of the music in the game.
>>
Ultima Online and maybe Star Wars Galaxies, but that wasn't /vr/.
>>
>>2927625
The Megadrive version is my favorite, but like >>2927670 said only the DOS version is translated, and it might be one of the worst versions of the game. I think there might be a partial translation of the MD version that only has the in-town menus in English, I'm not sure though, I know Japanese so never had to bother.
>>
>>2926968
Sounds like Mabinogi or Dofus.
>>
>>2927670
It HAD to be rushed, considering how good all their other Japanese ports sounded.
>>
I wish the PC Engine version was translated.
>>
>>2927870
What baffles me is how the compositions themselves have been changed, and never for the better. Lazy MT-32 arrangements are one thing, but warping the original compositions by Koshiro, Ishikawa, &c. is disgusting, especially since the newly-mangled tunes sound lame. Even the main theme sounds bad now.

Meanwhile, I think Kiya was shooting blanks with Sorcerian, testing out ideas for games he knew he'd never be able to make because the industry would change too fast for him. Falcom's since found their niche and, like Kiya, smartly made their games more accessible than something brutal like Xanadu, and Sorcerian/Ys mark the start of that. Sorcerian itself seems fun to play, though I no doubt prefer the PC-98 Brandish games.
>>
>>2929958
xanadu's fun man
>>
>>2930306
It's fun but there's a lot of ways for you to fuck up or the game to fuck you over.
Most players won't even reach the dungeon without help.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.