[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

UMK3 best character thread.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 4

File: umk3.jpg (28KB, 400x254px) Image search: [Google]
umk3.jpg
28KB, 400x254px
Kabal is far and beyond the #1 character in UMK3. Prove me wrong.
>>
>>2926821
He's my main as well.
>>
Kabal had one of the dumbest goddamn fatalities to ever grace MK, and that's saying something.
>>
>>2926821
Kabal is always a broken OP character in every mortal kombat game, this isn't news. stop acting like you had some amaZing revelation nobody else had, OP
>>
>>2926821
Noob Saibot is broken as fuck on the console versions

>He has a different moveset in each game
>They don't really know what to do with him right?
>>
>>2927351
>>2927515

What do you mean by broken? I do well with both these characters on Trilogy. Cant say i have played MK3 on snes much though.
>>
>>2929148
"Broken" in a gaming context almost always means unbalanced to a game-breaking degree, meaning they're extremely overpowered in the right hands.
>>
>>2927515
I know for MK9, Kabal, Noob and Ermac were the broken characters.
>>
>>2926821
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkdqUjlehaY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tinitviQ7iM

pros seem to love human smoke

umk3 high level is so fun to watch
>>
>>2926821
sonya was actually broken in mk1
>>
>>2929275
Wow thats fucking amazing. Totally agree with you, that is really fun to watch. Now I would love to see those guys plating with Noob.
>>
>>2926821
TRU

And Noob Saibot. But people are right. They are broken. If you're playing against someone who isn't a good MK player with someone else, you'll wreck them easily. On the other hand, people who are good at MK, can beat me, even if I choose Noob or Kabal.
>>
>>2930028
The trick with Saibot is to time his teleport correctly and chain it with another shit, that way you can make very interesting combos. On the Genesis version you can get a 50% combo really easily and a silly looking infinite, all thanks to the teleport move. Not sure if they would work exactly the same on SNES version. With enought practice and good timing you can win with your eyes closed.

Kabal was always a hit and miss for me, I could win or loose depending mostly on the other player hability, strategy and character.

Who would you say is the worst character in UMK3.
I always felt they messed up with masked Sub-Zero, I really liked playing as him, but the lack of a real fatality, and the fact the unmasked Sub-Zero had more moves always made you choose him instead. Also, Genesis' masked Sub-Zero, had a bigger hitbox on his Ice trow move. While unmasked isn't hit by fireballs while freezing, masked is. That's a big disadvantage, for example, when playing for example, against Shao Kahn.
>>
>>2927351
This.

>>2929148
It just means he's terribly balanced and overpowered compared to the other characters. He was exactly the same in 9 for a long time, then got nerfed but even then was still top tier.

Poor Baraka who I've always liked is always shit tier.
>>
My favorite character in UMK3 has to be Sheeva.

I've always found her really hot for some reason.
>>
>>2930435
Word brother.
>>
>>2929996
I think noob is usually banned in umk3 tournies
>>
>>2930503
Doesn't surprise me at all.
But I still would love to see a Noob vs Noob duel between those two.
>>
>>2930503

the guys in this tournies use the regular arcade version of UMK3. Right?
Hasn't anybody tought of making a hack to make it closer to WaveNet's UMK3?
According to old reviews it was a even more balanced version of UMK3 to some degree.
Kabal's spin move had 4 new frames of the animation and a sound effect at the beginning, to make it more easier to block (specially with WaveNet lag).
And Noob Saibot had Ermac's combos, a little faster walk speed and only his teleport move (with a hit limit after using it 4 times)
>>
>>2927515
The worst thing is that he was a Kano palette swap in vanilla MK3, but they made him into another ninja in UMK3.
>>
>>2931093
I guess they thought It wasn't going to be that obvious with Noob's Dorfen being mostly a black background.
But to be honest they always were pretty lazy with their secret characters, probably because they were last minute additions. (just look at how Reptile's healthbar still says Scorpion on MK1)

I still adhere to my theory of MK3 being an unfinished game, and UMK3 being what MK3 was meant to be.
Iirc at some point Ed Boon said that after seeing UMK3 he couldn't even think about going back to MK3
>>
>>2930084
Sheeva is a low tier character, hovering around the final shuffle of rank in the 20's of 23 playable characters in UMK3. She has only 3 special moves, none of which have anything about them which is all that swift but require some thought to master.
>>2930457
Having said all that, I found her hot too and she gave me a thong fetish.
>>
>>2929275
This is insane to watch holy shit
>>
>>2926821
>implying Stryker isn't the best

Fuck your magic ninjas and monsters I'm going with the dude who looks like a mall cop.
>>
>>2926821
duh, kobal was proof their pathetic attempt at creating a mk3 combo system was broken beyond repair.
>>
>>2931702
Why did they try to do it anyway?
Just to introduce new stuff like they did with the run button?
I always felt that mk1 and mk2 gave the player more 'freedom' but I must admit that broken as it is, pulling out a long combo in mk3 feels so satisfying.
>>
>>2931265
Fun Fact:
Vanilla MK 3 has some sprites for UMK3 exclusive finishers

Im 90% certain Midway pulled a Sonic 3 and Knuckles with MK 3
>>
>>2926821
I just now noticed all three cyborgs have the same helmet, just repainted. Damn, why did they think we needed three anyway? Overkill.
>>
>>2932340
I have been suspecting something like that all this time.

>>2932353
Well, in vanilla mk3 Smoke was a hidden character, that makes more sense
Guess they wanted to repeat the winner formula they had previously with Scorpion, Sub-Zero, (Reptile). and.Kitana, Mileena, (Jade).
But by umk3 the palette swapping got out of their hands. Just think you had 2 sub-zeros, 2 smokes, 3 characters with spear (with the same sprites), 2 characters with invisibility, 2 characters with teleport uppercut (with the sme sprites), and 3 characters with teleport punch (with the same sprite too)
>>
>>2932465
And by MKX they still haven't learned not to duplicate attacks. It's very sad they can't come up with anything new.
>>
>>2932465
>>2932957
makes me think about an intreview with Daniel Pesina where he said that Ed Boon is stuck with Mortal Kombat and keeps doing the same mistakes over and over.
>>
>>2929275
Both videos are awesome but I really like how the first one has great commentary where they explain the mechanics to nubs like me. Still like the second more overall because it's more hype.

>>2929996
>>2931415
Yeah. Umk3 is particularly awesome to watch because it's all attack. Offence is your best defence since chip damage is so high, also there's very little room for error due to the huge combos. Its also fast and aggressive as fucking shit. Street fighter on the other hand, while also cool of course in its own right, is a lot more defensive than mk.
>>
>>2933000
Link by any chance? It's sad as an MK fan to see the series go through the same cycles. And Boon then seems to not even care, like how Fujin was the #1 requested character post-release of X, and had a lot of requests pre-release too, and two sets of DLCs later still won't put him in, despite making jokes about it. He's just cruel now.
>>
UMK3 was the last MK game for me. All the ones after are complete shite. I mean look at all the new ones out these days.

I wish they would just let MK die already.
>>
>>2933926
Deadly Alliance was still pretty good
>>
>>2932340
>Im 90% certain Midway pulled a Sonic 3 and Knuckles with MK 3

As I recall UMK3 shipped as a set of update roms initially - you just exchanged half the data on the arcade board and it turned MK3 to UMK3. That may have been one of the early betas though.

Where did you get that info on MK3 having UMK3 sprites? I'd like to read more about that.

Biggest fault of UMK3 by the way is removing half the MK3 backgrounds. The only new UMK3 background is Scorpions lair.
>>
>>2933674
>'Dude, you guys are doing the same thing. You don't have any originality? Who's at the helm? ... This game should be evolving in some way.' And [they say] 'It's too difficult.' And I'm like, 'No it's not too difficult. You guys really need to get somebody who knows what they're doing and you gotta let egos go.

http://www.polygon.com/2012/10/2/3444618/mortal-kombats-johnny-cage-20-years-later
>>
>>2933960
No it wasn't.
>>
>>2932340
I doubt that. Lot of games usually have loads of unused sprites that are still hidden somewhere in the data.
>>
>>2934874
There is also unused text that references umk3 characters.
My main suspcion has always been based on the fact there was no Scorpion in Mk3.
By that time Scorpion was already a well stablished and fan favorite.
Why make a game without him?

>>2934815
Is not perfect at all, but its quite good. And saved the franchise from the deep hole where Mk4, MkM and MKSF had buried it.
>>
>>2933926
The most recent two are actually damn good. I'd take them over the originals.
>>
File: bestsubzero.jpg (7KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
bestsubzero.jpg
7KB, 480x360px
Bi-Han for life
>>
>>2934924
Am I the only person on the world that actually liked this game?
>>
>>2935026
I didn't like it but I wish they made a sequel polishing up a lot of the ideas they poorly implemented because it did have potential to be great. Now Special Forces on the other hand had absolutely no redeeming qualities to it.
>>
>>2935228
The atmosphere, and the story were great. My main cmplain was the gameplay (things like the up button to jump, and the button for turning) and how repetitive the puzzles became after a while. Still worth playing to me, and yeah I would love to have a sequel, maybe a Scorpion or Great Kung Lao themed one.

Special Forces idea was interesting, but they failed really hard when implementing it, and failed in every aspect of it. I liked how cheesy the intro and Jax lines where. Made me think of Roger Moore's Bond movies.
>>
>>2933926
MK9 and MKX are great. Deadly Alliance was also a good game.
>>
>>2935781
Even though I didn't like the gameplay or characters for Deadly Alliance and Deception much I can't hate them for all the cool stuff you could unlock in the crypt. I'm a sucker for behind the scenes stuff and those games hit the sweet spot.
>>
>>2934673
Thanks. He's right though, so much of it was Tobias. Without him things took such a huge shift. You never would've had a Hsu Hao on Tobias' watch. Vogel clearly doesn't know the lore as well as they say he does. Right after X came out some people asked on his twitter some story questions and he flat out said to tweet Tobias instead because he had no clue. I was dumbfounded at the final roster reveal for X, it just shows Boon and the guys there now just don't get it. You have at your disposal a cast of wizards, mutants, demons, cyborgs, vampires, etc. etc. and they used a bunch of humans in the military. Such a waste of potential.

Also, holy shit he got paid well for 1 and 2.
>As stated in Pesina's contracts, he made $50/hour for the first game (for approximately $3,000-4,000 total), and $75/hour for the second (for, he estimates, more hours than he worked on the original).
>>
Lets not credit Tobias too much, it was on his watch that MK shifted from Mystical Bruce Lee Kungfu to Syfy Cyborg shlock.
>>
>>2935962
Yeah, I'm not some Tobais dick sucker, but Pesina is right that there wouldn't be an MK without him. I don't understand the cyborgs. One would've been okay but turning all the Lin Kuei into them was overkill.
>>
>>2934815
The kombat was fucky but the cast was pretty good.

Nitara, Kenshi, Frost (I don't like her but many do), and Drahmin were all pretty cool additions and the new 3D models made them look great and all the old favorites look great too. Really if Boon didn't try to emulate Tekken so much and kept it purely 2D fighting like SFIV it would've been massively popular.
>>
>>2935962
>>2935981
Tobias' baby, Mythologies had some robots too. Guess it was bound to happen. They got out of ideas at that point. So they stopped taking it seriously and went the 'What is cool?' 'Oh yeah, robots, add robot'. way.
I always liked to reimagine the cyborgs at the Lin Kuei like brainwashed demon possesed humans (Instead of making the clan full of cyborgs, Grand Master makes a pact with Shinnok or Quan chi to get more power) Makes more sense in the context to me, but it looses the body horry feel of the cyborg transformation.

I would still like to know what would MK be today if Tobias was the main brain behind it.

I think it was
>>
ERMAC
>>
>>2937059
>I would still like to know what would MK be today if Tobias was the main brain behind it.

Probably exactly the same judging from how Tao Feng turned out.
>>
>>2937487
Jesus. I totally forgot that was a thing.
>>
>>2937059
They should've just moved up Shinnok's invasion and had it take place for MK3. They could've introduced so many cool new things and demons with that. Shinnok actually did get a name drop in either UMK3 or MKT so the idea was on paper somewhere.
>>
>>2937826
This would have been an amazing idea.
>>
>>2937487
>>2937492
If I recall, the studio died immediately after the release.

Now Tobias isn't even heard from these days.

A shame since Tao Feng had some terrible implementation of neat ideas.
>>
>>2939164
I follow Tobias on twitter. I'm not really sure what kind of job he has now, but seems to be game realted stuff, he also tweets a lot about MK.
Last year there was a kickstarter to make a documentary of the "making of" of Midway games. They have interviews with almost everyone includying Tobias, and tons of 'never seen before footage'
Don't know if they reached the goal, but doubt it since I never heard of it again. Will google it now.
>>
>>2939685
I was mistaken. they reached the goal. Now we will have to wait for it.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/joshuatsui/insert-coin-inside-midways-90s-revolution/description
Thread posts: 60
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.