[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /vr/ what's the best PS2 model to play PS1 games?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 2

File: ps2.jpg (41KB, 600x563px) Image search: [Google]
ps2.jpg
41KB, 600x563px
Hey /vr/ what's the best PS2 model to play PS1 games?
>>
>>2926548
You posted it, since playing the original ps1 discs on a the original model causes balance issues making the jump around. You're better off getting a ps1 though.
>>
>>2926548
Can my modded Slim play PS1? I got confused about backwards compatibility when later PS3 models couldn't play PS2 or something.
>>
>>2926589
No you're not. Regular Playstations don't output component video
>>
I've got 5xxxx PS2.
How much am I fucked up?
>>
>>2926607
All PS2s and PS3s can play PS1
>>
>>2926624
>PS3 can output games from 480i - 1080p, but not 240p. Component video supports all of those resolutions (expect 1080p), so you can still use the PS3 on analog displays, such as HD CRT's. In fact, using a PS3 via 720p component on a widescreen BVM monitor looks great! As an FYI, if you use an RGB cable with a PS3, you'll only get 480i, so this is not a good solution.
>>
SCPH 90001
>>
>>2926609
They output RGB though
>>
>>2926609
Why does that matter? I just assumed OP wants the best one in terms of compatibility and performance
>>
>>2926641
My loading mechanism was fucked when I was younger due to dust but has since been fixed. It's still not the same though
>>
>>2926641
Why even bother to repair or mod DVD--drive on PS2 since HDD is a lot better and optical drive will eventually wear out?
>>
>>2926658
>>2926658
>le 4chan police man
way to take the internet seriously, champ
>>
The longevity of the PS2's optical unit is utter shit. Your lens will burn out in a matter of a few short years. No questions about it. Loading PS1 games or audio CDs only hastens its demise.

Personally, I'd consider investing in a PSOne, or attempt to soft-mod your PS2 and use the POPStation loader to emulate PS1 games. The latter method has pretty good compatibility, but it's a pain in the ass to set up. Good luck deciphering some underage anime faggot's vaguely detailed instructions in broken English, because those are the only installation details Google will yield.
>>
There are a small handful of games that don't work on the PS2 - I'm pretty sure that hdd loading ps1 games onto a ps2 is not possible because the way backwards compatibility works on the ps2 is that the IO controller for the ps2 is the cpu used in the ps1 - really clever move on sonys part, but what that means is everything shuts down when the ps2 is in ps1 mode

I personally have not had an issue with ps1 games on a ps3, same goes for psp - I'm not a playback snob though.

If you're into that shit I recommend a modded ps1 or playing burned discs on a ps2.
>>
>>2926703
Yeah, that's bullshit. I still have my PS2 that I bought new in like 2002 and it still plays PS1 and PS2 games no problem and I used it a shit ton back in the day.
>>
>>2926831
Pretty sure those disc errors everyone had back in the day weren't just some meme.
>>
>>2926831
You are in the minority of minorities. Pretty much every fat ps2 at a typical yard sale has a reasonable chance of being completely fucked in the laser department
>>
>>2926679

im not sure if ps1 emulation is perfect, but if you wanted to play your ps1 games in 240p component disc is a pretty good method for me.
>>
>>2926845
You are making this up with zero facts or sources. Just pulling it out of your ass. Fuck, /vr/ really is dead. All in thanks to useless I NEED TO BE HEAR MYSELF TALK fucktards like yourself.
>>
>>2926868
I wouldn't put it by him. The ps2 is over a decade old, consoles aren't built like they were, and disc systems have lower lifespans compared to their cartridge counterparts
>>
>>2926868
really? I have the utmost feeling you're the one who didn't live the era
>>
>>2926624
>PS3s can play PS1
If you want them to look like shit.
>>
>>2926589
Fat PS2 actually have increased compatibility over the later models, don't ask me why. The driver changed to reflect the later revision which could have brought all kinds of timing issues.
>>
isn't a psp better for playing PS1 games? didn't it have TV out too if you so wanted to play on a bigger screen?
>>
>>2926902
Yes. And it's okay, even with component. It ain't terrible, but it's better for on the go rather than hooking up to the tv
>>
>>2926897
I think I'd rather stick around. Whatcha gonna do about it, faggot? ;^)
>>
>>2926895
Some hard data and basically what OP was looking for:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_games_incompatible_with_PlayStation_2
>>
>>2926868
http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=7139
and why the fuck are you so bitter about this?
in the end most of the stuff here is anecdotal, why are you getting so worked up about your anecdotes being better than mine?
>>
>>2926548
Launch PS3 60Gb is the best Playstation. Just make sure its still working. It plays PS1, PS2, and PS3 over HDMI (or any other video type).

If you get a PS2, just get a FAT one. I have a launch ps2. It isn't dead yet. I know some peoples drives don't work anymore though. The slim seem cheap.
>>
the one that still works
>>
Mednafen
>>
>>2926856
>if ps1 emulation is perfect
It is not.
>>
>>2926548
Any PS2 except some early slim models. When Sony started producing the CPU and GPU on a MCM process they fucked with particular timings that certain PS1 games rely on.

All models have hardware driven emulation, not software, so extremely accurate.

Also early PS2s do not have their lens 'burn out', this is a fundamental misunderstanding of how optical drives work. The problem is either that the lens got dirty (short term issue) due to optical drive enclosure being a trap for dust and dirt, or that the lens carriage got misaligned over time (long term issue).

I just fixed my PS2 with the latter issue which is 15 years old this month by opening it up and slightly adjusting the gear that controls the distance between the laser and the disk. My PS2 works like new again.
>>
>>2926679
Because you need to have a real PS1 disc in to trigger the softmod

Also because of the point of this whole thread, to play PS1 games in native mode in a PS2 you have to play them off a disc.

>>2926658
I'm not the seller but you better believe I ordered one while they were available. These aren't produced anymore I'm sure it will become an important piece of my collection, being moved from PS2 to PS2. Also the goyim are the buyers not the sellers.
>>
>>2926940
>Launch PS3 60Gb is the best Playstation. Just make sure its still working
lol I know what you meant but you gotta admit that's a pretty funny thing to say. I actually gave up on searching for that unicorn and then fearing that it might give up the ghost any moment and just bought a cheap PS3 and refurbed my PS2 real good.
>>
>>2926703
Have you set up POPStation yourself?

If so, any chance of a tutorial/pastebin?

>>2927385
I ordered one too. Might go back and snag another before they ship it...
>>
>>2926548
>>2926548
ps3
>>
>>2926641
these are PAL tho
>>
File: 1450562330939.gif (1019KB, 500x245px) Image search: [Google]
1450562330939.gif
1019KB, 500x245px
>>2927431
>piece of plastic adheres to a broadcast standard

I BET THE FROGS DID THIS!
>>
>>2927446
dumb autist
>>
>>2927446
Better colours
>>
>>2926607
Yes. Even if it wasn't modded it could play PS1 games.
Fat PS3s play anything
Slim PS3s play PS1 and PS3 games, no PS2
I dunno about the ultra slim model
>>
>>2927225
done that same trick many times back when. it could be tricky to get it to read ps1-blue ps2-silver ps2 and dvds. i used to tune it with a silver disc then a blue and it seemed to work good after that.
>>
>>2927431
its just the case, you put your ntsc hardware in it.
>>
Replacing the phatps2's laser is really easy, and the part is cheap. The slim requires basic solder skills and is a little more effective. If you're experiencing disc read errors, make certain your laser's lens is clean before attempting a replacement.
>>
>>2926548
Just re-watch the show you saw and listen this time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7fCTHu99bk
>>
>>2927549
I think the trick is to gradually try them with increasing difficulty...PS1 black first, DVD movie silver, PS2 silver, PS2 dual layer silver and finally PS2 blue. If it fails at any stage you need to keep adjusting...once a stage passes you don't need to try it again except at the end.

No idea why blue PS2 are so damn finicky.

I think people have too readily replaced their lasers though, you can often do miracles trying to fix so called burnt out ones.
>>
>>2927561
>Replacing the phatps2's laser is really easy, and the part is cheap. The slim requires basic solder skills and is a little more effective.

You neglected to mention that the only aftermarket optical units you can purchase are designed and distributed by Chinese manufacturers, and work like shit.

Servicing disc-based consoles is a waste of time and money. Aftermarket parts will always be utter garbage.
>>
>>2927842
>Why repair anything just throw it away if it breaks
Also you're fucking retarded OEM KHS-400s are definitely available they just cost ten times what the Chinese ones cost. I'll stick with the Chinese ones thanks.
>>
>>2926940
>>2927391

I have one with cfw. Paid out of my fucking asshole to get it professionally reballed with leaded solder.

It's pretty cool, but honestly I hardly play it. I wish we would see ps2 vita ports
>>
>>2926620
Not too bad. They are definitely a lot quieter than the first run of fat PS2s, but they might still have laser issues.
>>
>>2926548
I was thinking of importing an NTSC-JP PS2.

Is there anything I need to know about voltage or power converters if I'm playing in North America?
>>
>>2931145
Your best bet is getting a 7XXXX series PS2 and using a NA power adapter from the same series. Both regions have the same power input for these models. As for the others, I am not too sure.
>>
I have this fat 39001 sitting around. is it any good compared with other models? what can I do with it, mod-wise?

I'm pretty sure it's chipped.
>>
>>2926856
In what world is any emulation perfect? Dumbass.
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.