[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Emulation on the go

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 5

File: image.jpg (42KB, 670x478px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
42KB, 670x478px
What do you guys use for emulation gaming on the go?

Used to have an Xperia Play, but sold that and trying to move to the Nvidia Shield.

Also, if you guys are thinking of getting a Shield Portable, I'd wait for the upgraded version with the X1 chip.
>>
>>2926158
...PSP.
It does everything except SNES really well, up to and including the PSX.
>>
>>2926182
I think the 3DS is also a great emulation machine.

I own a DSiXL with a R4 cart and I can play DS (duh), GB, GBC, NES, Turbografx, Master System, Game Gear and Genesis games on the go.

Sometimes the sound on my Nes emulator sounds like ass but I discovered that closing the console for a few seconds and then opening it again can fix the problem on the spot.
>>
Either a smartphone or a New 3DS. N3DS is usually easier since it can emulate a lot of the stuff I want to play, but it's limited when it comes to actual emulators in comparison to an android device.
>>
>>2926158
A PSP is always a good choice, but good luck at finding one that isn't already fucked up.

A DS is a decent second choice, as you can see here: http://gamebrew.org/wiki/List_of_DS_homebrew_emulators

Clones or handhelds running on Android are hit and miss. Yes, they can let you play a lot of different formats and they can be updated fairly frequently, but these consoles tend to have a very short lifespan because of their cheap build.
>>
File: zub.webm (2MB, 312x234px) Image search: [Google]
zub.webm
2MB, 312x234px
A PSP-1000, but I wouldn't recommend it. The ghosting is awful (which I never saw mentioned in reviews of it), the battery life is shit, the d-pad sucks, SNES emulation is no better than the 3DS', and large Neo-Geo games won't load due to limited memory.

I do wonder why the SNES in particular is so shoddy, since the PSP can handle far surperior consoles.
>>
>>2926182
>>2926243

Man, the problem with the PSP is it had a terrible flaw in its design which let dust get under the screen through the buttons no matter how well you kept it you'd get dust under the screen which drives me insane. Also how easy the screen scratched but -

The screens shell is easy to replace I guarantee you it'll be dust and possibly tiny hair city underneath the screen when you try.

PSP go's are easy to find unscratched and don't have the dust under the screen flaw but they all give off this awful high pitch noise from the screen a lot of people don't seem to mind this but it sets off my autism something awful.

You can find PSP street/e1000s new still which are the newest PSP with LED backlighting. These are awful. They have some of the worst viewing angles I've ever come across. Literally unusable. They're also built cheaper overall and don't even have WiFi not that it matters much. The screen being so shit on these makes them disgusting though there's no sweet spot there's always fucked up contrast.

How the hell did they manage to fuck up every revision of the PSP in some way?
>>
>>2926253
>I do wonder why the SNES in particular is so shoddy, since the PSP can handle far surperior consoles.

This is because the PSP has absolutely zero Snes emulators developed specifically for it.
All what you see are emulatores PORTED to work on the PSP and so, they don't make full use of the console's power.
>>
>>2926281

Isn't that true of the other emulators, though?
>>
>>2926298
The other emulators are for consoles way less demanding than the Snes.

But basically, yes.
>>
>>2926281
And the far superior console, the PSX, emulator was made by Sony themselves specifically for the PSP.
>>
>>2926185
Looking back to my old DS, I wonder, how I played it all, because the resolution squishes original resolution of the NES, Genesis and so on.
>>2926343
As far as I know, PSP hardware is low-level compatible with the PSX, that's why PSX is emulated so well.
Though, there are emulators being developed for the New 3DS. I suppose they'll make the PSX emulation to 100% speed.
>>
File: file.png (413KB, 932x720px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
413KB, 932x720px
>>2926158
Shield is overpriced.
JXDS5800 emulates everything, PSX and N64 included, as well as some Dreamcast games with no slowdowns, also doubles as a phone with 3G support.

You can also buy higher-capacity batteries.
>>
I own PSP, GBA, several DSs, and a JXD S5800.

My preference is the PSP *if it can play the game*. As others have said, some SNES titles run poorly.

I never found DS emulation worth bothering with.

The JXD is nice, though the button layout is annoying, I always hit the fucking volume buttons by accident. The hardware quality is alright, better than most shit which comes out of China/Korea but not as solid as a PSP. Mike's not even a year old and already the d-pad creaks.

To be honest, I think a $10 Gameklip clone and a PS3/PS4 controller are pretty hard to go past, just use your regular phone or buy a second hand phone or Chinaphone for $100.
>>
>>2926260
Dunoo, vita is amazing tho
>>
What's a good set of emulators for Android retroarch hasn't worked since 6.0
>>
>>2926518
I buy the Robert Broglia emulators. SNES9x EX+ is free and the rest are a couple of bucks. The polish he puts into them is worth it.

ePSXe is good for Playstation. FPse is complete shit, the menus make no sense and support is nonexistent.

There is a free version of PPSSPP so you can try that. I'm still really surprised that PSP emulation is a thing.

DOSBox Turbo is worth the purchase if you want to play DOS games. If you just want to play graphical adventures, ScummVM.
>>
>>2926518
I'm currently using:
>nostalgia.new lite
>snes9sex
>myboy
>gGens
>NEO.emu
>MAME4droid
MOGA controller works great too.
>>
>>2926467
I would never use that as a phone, that looks retarded as fuck.
Like, N-Gage dumb.
>>
>>2926760
You wouldn't use it as a phone, you'd use it as an emulation machine.
>>
Has anyone here tried the GPD XD? It seems like it's pretty good, but it's like £120
>>
>>2926760
It would be fine if you were using it with bluetooth headphones that have a mic
>>
Buy a Dingoo.
>>
>>2926467
Interesting.
Can I click the analog sticks?
>>
>>2926936
Are they still sold?
They aren't better than a PSP for emulation.
>>
I am gonna buy an ezflash 4 so I can play the entire nes library on the gba
>>
>>2927192
No, the analog sticks don't click.

It's got D-Pad, ABXY, L1/2, R1/2, start, select, two analog sticks, but no L3 or R3.

It's also got Android buttons for back, menu, home, vol up, vol down, power, and to bring up the controller touch mapper (so you can play touch-only games with the buttons).
>>
>>2926158
you would have to be retarded to even vaguely think about buying that over priced monstrosity
>>
>>2926760
you are an idiot
>>
Android device. Some emulators like Drastic or Myboy are actually better than the ones available for PC.
>>
>>2926397
>As far as I know, PSP hardware is low-level compatible with the PSX, that's why PSX is emulated so well

couldn't that be classified as virtualization then, at most some instruction translation.
>>
PSP 300MHz

android devices 2/4/8 ARM 1000mhz

specifically for SNES/Mega and prior, arent smarphones an options?

screen is 16:9 use 12:9 for game, left side small d-pad and right side a vertical linear 4 button in-line, has something along those ever been done?
or are android emulators just to be used with USB OTG other devices for user input?
>>
>>2926901
I bought one towards the end of last year, it's a solid device. The analog sticks work just as you'd expect and it provides enough horsepower in such a small package (smaller than a 3DS XL) to do all up to Dreamcast, DS (both pretty spot-on) and PSP (not flawlessly but still very playable). Just watch a few reviews on YouTube of game play footage and see if it's the right device for you!
>>
I use New 3DS XL, I mainly play Genesis, SNES, NES and GBC games and all of them play pretty nice. Console is also very easy to homebrew and you can get those emulators to work also very easily.

It has PS1 emulator as well, but it's not worth it because it runs so slow it's basically unplayable.
>>
>>2927960
SOTN FF7 and a handful of other games run fullspeed without tweaks now. It's improved quite a bit.
>>
File: unnamed.png (9KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.png
9KB, 300x300px
Retroarch.

And now we wait.
>>
>>2927984
Oh really? Is there anywhere a list of games which run at full speed? I only tried Tombi/Tomba and some other game and thought it's just poorly emulated.
>>
File: AMhFQONl.jpg (32KB, 640x350px) Image search: [Google]
AMhFQONl.jpg
32KB, 640x350px
>GP2X is dead
>Wiz is impossible to find anywhere online

Why must the good die
>>
>>2927987
on what?
>>
i have a ds lite with an r4/ez3in1 that i really loved for it, but the left shoulder button on it died.
>>
GPDXD, will get an X1 Shield if they end up existing.
>>
>>2926760
>what is bluetooth

>>2927192
As >>2927263 said it has lots of android-specific buttons, that can be remapped to do L3/R3 work if you want.
>>
>>2926158
I use a moga controller and my smartphone. works pretty well but is a bit annoying to initially set up.
>>
>>2926726
>DOSBox Turbo
What the fuck? Why would you pay for a free program?
>>
>>2926747
>MOGA controller works great too.
I got the tiny version of that to use with my Nexus 4. It's ok. The left side is a d-pad-as-stick thing sort of like the NGPC (except shitty), and the right side and shoulder buttons are ok. Was playing Wipeout and snes games on it just fine.
>>
>>2926936
Dingoo ate my babby
>>
>>2926158
There isnt going to be an upgraded version. That being said, i got a used one $120 on ebay. Its pretty powerful , emulates psp and dreamcast very well. Hdmi out also makes it perfect for my room for streaming stuff too
>>
Saturn play well on anything on the go?
>>
>>2926158
a GBAMicro with a flashcart or my N3DS
>>
>>2927204
GBA screen is really bad for NES games. Emulation is great, but you end up losing the middle of the screen. Makes Mario look really fucking weird.
>>
>$20 tier: Xperia Play
>$200 tier: Nvidia Shield
>$2000 tier: Razer Edge

OP did it right. Using hacked video game consoles to emulate other video game consoles is for children
>>
>>2926158
Don't recommend the 3DS as it's still getting updates regularly so the hackibility of a newly bought one is questionable at best.
>>
>>2931209
Yeah, that's a shame. I really like my n3ds for emulation but keeping both homebrew and the eshop is a mess.
>>
I'm bewildered by /vr/ posters constantly citing the PSP as a handheld emulator. It can barely manage to emulate a super nintendo. Why so much love for a device that itself can easily be emulated by a vastly faster and more versatile android tablet? Is it the built-in buttons?
>>
>>2931235
There are consoles besides SNES.

It does NES, Gen, GBA excellently.

For PSX it can't be beat.

Build quality is great.

They last a long time, unlike my GP2X which now won't run on batteries and is getting flaky running on AC.
>>
>>2926158
Depends what game/system I'm playing, what size screen I want, how important good controls are, how much I want to carry, etc. Primarily I use a dingoo, JXD, 3DS, phone and tablet with controllers. The whole lot cost much less than a shield and offers much more flexibility.

>sold my play
You needed $10 for a hit of meth?
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.