[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Retro level editors

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 10

File: trle_screenshot_lg.jpg (251KB, 1015x709px) Image search: [Google]
trle_screenshot_lg.jpg
251KB, 1015x709px
I'm curious if any retro games came bundled with extensive level editing / modding tools, similar to something like The Elder Scrolls Construction Set. I'm interested in 3D RPGs and action-adventure games specifically.

By "extensive," I mean capable of editing entire maps, importing custom textures and models, importing custom sound files, and the scripting of cutscenes.
>>
Sword of Moonlight: King's Field Making Tool
Not sure about cutscenes, but judging by screenshots, everything else should fit your definition of extensive.
>>
>>2926078

SoM is a great example. I've been playing around with it lately, but like you said, I don't know about cutscene support. It looks like you can give NPCs basic dialogs and specify whether they're standing or sitting, but can't do much else with them.

Then again, the series never had particularly elaborate cutscenes.
>>
>>2926069

What game is that?
>>
These might not fit your interests due to genre, but I've dabbled with level editors for the following games:

Thief 1, 2 and 3
Duke Nukem 3d
Quake 1
Doom

I know the thief 1 and 2 editors came bundled. Others may be fan creations, but they're top notch editors.
>>
>>2926310
Tomb Raider Chronicles. PC version.
>>
File: Build_engine_screenshot.png (12KB, 639x479px) Image search: [Google]
Build_engine_screenshot.png
12KB, 639x479px
>>2926460
>Duke Nukem 3d
I think they included Build with DN3D because I remember spending quite some time with it.
>>
hum looks like the software SketchUp is retro @Last Software made it in 1999

having played with duke's build, coreldraw since mid 90s, and some very basic cad.

something intuitive like sketchup was way ahead of its time, and its only fair to compate it another software from the edge of the century, halflife 1 editor, being as thorough as it needed to be, would had been awesome if accompanied by a similarly intuitive interface, at least to make simple maps to be later edited in haldlife worldcraft
>>
File: 3D_Construction_Kit_screenshot.png (4KB, 320x200px) Image search: [Google]
3D_Construction_Kit_screenshot.png
4KB, 320x200px
Incentive Software's 3D Construction Kit. There were no textures back then.
>>
File: GpblSBPPo_GF.878x0.Z-Z96KYq.jpg (44KB, 610x381px) Image search: [Google]
GpblSBPPo_GF.878x0.Z-Z96KYq.jpg
44KB, 610x381px
>level editors
Was about to say Stunt Island and Stunts had some fun level editors, but then I saw what you're looking for.
>>
>>2926069
Neverwinter Nights has a toolset that can do all of that, though I'm not sure if it counts as "retro".
>>
>>2926069
that TR editor, and the still very active fanbase of Doom and Build hints at something that modern engines miss. You don't need to be a 3D modelling professional to produce appealing levels with these tools. The limitations of the engines play into the hands of beginner and hobbyist level designers, allowing them to focus on the actual flow and gameplay of the levels, and doing rapid cycles, instead of having to deal with the inherent complications of freeform 3D modelling and resulting model complexity
>>
>>2928695
Tank controls in TR are completely justified because it has a proper behind-the-character camera, unlike some other games that get flak for tank controls.
>>
>>2929017
Tank controls are never justified.

Ever.

And neither is your existence for supporting them. So go kill yourself.
>>
File: 20k1tmo.gif (522KB, 284x238px) Image search: [Google]
20k1tmo.gif
522KB, 284x238px
>>2929123
Wew lad you sure showed him.
>>
>>2926069
Revenant had a world editor as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UU2TCIf1k0U
>>
I can't remember how old this game is but i think its around the cut off point for retro but there is the now open source Runesword 2 http://runesword.sourceforge.net/index.html
I could never get into it but it seemed heavily geared towards adventure creation.

>>2929123
>>2928695
take your shitposting back to /v/. Tank controls are a remenant from when people were still trying to figure out movement for 3 dimensional objects that didn't look jarring as fuck. Tank controls are bad but complaining about them in old games is retarded like you clearly are.
>>
>>2929185
I thought I told you to kill yourself? You tank controls enabling piece of nigger shit.
>>
I don't mean to detract from OPs thread since there's more of an interest for PC games and modding, however I'm curious what games on consoles supported some form of level editor like Wrecking Crew and Excitebike? They don't need to be specifically NES games, just retro consoles that had games with level editors.
>>
>>2929327
Battle City. Also, I think there were some shmup creators, don't remember the titles.
>>
Unreal, of course.
>>
>>2929327
some on NES: Mach Rider, Nuts n Milk, BANANA, Lode Runner
>>
File: 95.gif (97KB, 512x256px) Image search: [Google]
95.gif
97KB, 512x256px
>>2926069
>>
Lode Runner's level editor will always be my favourite.
>>
File: Dezaemon.jpg (70KB, 503x512px) Image search: [Google]
Dezaemon.jpg
70KB, 503x512px
>>2929362
Dezaemon is a level editor that came with games.
>>
File: UnrealEd10.jpg (143KB, 845x618px) Image search: [Google]
UnrealEd10.jpg
143KB, 845x618px
>>2926069
Unreal had UnrealEd, though it was buggy as fuck and required a fix to even start on most systems. Thankfully you can patch the game for a much better version these days. Can do all of what you said.
>>
>>2929123
Tank controls work well with RE style games with fixed camera and stationary scenes, regular controls don't work well there.
>>
File: tumblr_m8gv65Gosi1qh8rq6o1_500.gif (405KB, 443x297px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m8gv65Gosi1qh8rq6o1_500.gif
405KB, 443x297px
Tank 1990
>>
>>2927959
I've been watching Stunt Island videos all evening since this post. Stunt Island is awesome!
>>
>>2926069
oh shit I used to play with that editor back when I was in middle school, I thought I was some sort of awesome hacker.

It was way better than actually playing the game
>>
Re-volt baby!
>>
File: dromedsn_zpsb7eb9dc1.png (361KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
dromedsn_zpsb7eb9dc1.png
361KB, 1024x768px
Step up
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.