[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Gen 1 Pokemon

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 5

File: prbyg.png (348KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
prbyg.png
348KB, 400x400px
Are these games even good?
>>
Fuck no.
>>
>>2924735
It didn't sell millions, spawn a successful franchise of games, toys, manga and anime from being bad
That being said it's not without huge glaring flaws
>>
It's a mystery.
>>
If you haven't played these games you aren't old enough to use this board.
>>
>pocket gb
>red master race

SINCE 95

feels good my austismo bros.
>>
>>2924735
The only real "flaws" the game has according to what I see most say (most probably are die hard hardcore fans that will always love the series regardless of the direction they go) relates to the games battle system.

While yes you do battling for about half the game, it's not like the battling truly changed much (I know this is going to trigger a lot) between the games. It's still the same old concept. Your monster has 4 moves, you find the weakness, you exploit the dumb ai, you easily win. This has been the series since it's inception and this has never changed. Most of the arguments against gen 1 should only ever really apply to mp. Which you wouldn't have to worry about if you play single player.

They are my favorite games of all time. Go for it OP. Classics don't just become shit because armchair fedoracore neckbeard warriors say they are outdated games that are shit. As >>2924767
said, they wouldn't have sold over 40 million copies if they were shit games. Pokemon was never at a higher peak then the few years after these games came out. That goes for the "pokemon craze" to. Kids these days that bash on these old games simply do not understand that the franchise as a whole was a huge craze that dwarfs even how popular it is today. Which it is still very popular today. Just not nearly so like it was before.
>>
>>2924770
Yeah I was an adult when this shit came out so I never played them. Too busy playing non baby shit
>>
They're not bad games but the problem it faces is that every game after it is basically the same thing but with more content and fixes for bad mechanics.

If it's the first pokemon game you play, it's amazing. Compared to every successive generation of pokemon that came after it, it seems badly designed.
>>
>>2924735
I never played Green, I didn't know there even WAS a Green in English.
I owned Blue, and loved it. I owned Yellow and thought it was fun but not different enough from Blue to be worth the money.
>>
>>2924949
YEAH FUCK THOSE GAMES FOR CHILDREN. IM 42 AND POST ON AN ONLINE FORUM ABOUT HOW SHITTY POKEMON GAMES ARE.
>>
>>2924949
>Too busy playing non baby shit

I thought I was on /v/ for a second. Then I got sad that people like you post here.
>>
>>2925065
There wasn't, it's just a mock up to complete the set.
>>
>>2925123
>>
>>2924735
They're good, but everything gen 1 did, gen 2 did better. If you're playing a single pokemon game, it should be gen 2.

After gen 2 opinions are varied mainly because Nintendo loves removing features from past gens just because fuck you, for example gen 3 had no day-night nor date system despite the huge praise gen 2 got for them.
>>
>>2924735
Pokemon was largely a social thing.

Mechanically its dead simple. Its a game of knowing and understanding counters. The rest of it is a fairly by the numbers RPG.

The thing is, pretty much -everyone- was watching the show, playing the game on gameboy, battling, trading and what have you.

Now a days it has some nostalgia, but its actually not very entertaining to play, because a lot of it was like I said, social. Playing with your friends, telling them what you found, battling and trading.
>>
>>2925158
I plan on playing the remake. Playing the originals is neat. I still like them. I wouldn't call them bad. They're a lot better off than the first couple of Final Fantasies
Some of the original release cards are still worth a lot of money.

Nothing will ever be like the Pokemon craze again. Minecraft was maybe a quarter of the craziness Pokemon was. I think if you're younger you should play the first gen Pokemons just to have a laugh if anything.
>>
>>2925167

What remake?
>>
>>2925171
That 3ds bundle. Or are the just emulated gameboy games?
>>
>>2925172

They're just ports with wifi multiplayer/trading
>>
>>2924735
First generation seems kinda simple from game play perspective. Design and music is nice though, and mechanics got alot more intense in the later installments
>>
>>2925173
No, they're emulations
>>
>>2924735
They were incredible in 1998 when everyone and their mother was playing them. The later iterations are just improved versions of the same formula, so there's not much point in playing the gen 1 games aside from nostalgia and the hilarious glitches (watch a gen 1 speedrun sometime, they're absolutely magical).

>>2925147 has the right idea.
>>
People who say the other games are the same thing but better should probably kill themselves.

Yes, the battle system is simple, glitchy, outdated, whatever you wanna call it, but it's not about that, the other games don't have team rocket's misdeeds, the cunty rival, cubone's story, the mistery of mew and mewtwo, etc. It's a selfcontained world and there are no pokegods of time and space and whatever.

Nowadays pokemon games are about getting through the singleplayer as quick as possible to be able to raise a team for online battling, so of course when you look at the first generation through that same lens they are gonna seem inferior, but the game's are about Red's journey, not competitive battles.
>>
>>2925424
Well said

It get's annoying seeing how many damn tourneyfaggot mp fanboys there are on 4chan. I know exactly how they would rebuttal to our posts as well.

I'm not going to say how they will do it. I will just wait and see and if they reply that is.

I enjoy these games the most exactly because of what you said.
>>
File: pokevos.png (54KB, 540x620px) Image search: [Google]
pokevos.png
54KB, 540x620px
Which of the following evolutions isn't canon?
>>
>>2925424
I'll agree, but with that said, I still prefer FR/LG to the originals. They were very high-quality remakes.
>>
>>2925424
people who care about pokemon are emotionally stunted manchildren 2bh
>>
>>2924795
>Game was released in 96. Faggot says he played it in 95

You wot mate?

The children on this board are hilarious
>>
>>2925424
I'd bet most of them are underage and think of the first and second generation as "lol grandpa games." Of course people can choose to not like them and prefer later games and be of any age, but I really doubt that any fan of Pokemon over the age of, say, 23 would actively shit on the early games in favor of more recent entries. I've personally enjoyed every generation, though the shift to 3D Pokemon models has really killed my interest going forward. They just look so very boring and for me half the fun was seeing how they'd draw the new sprites for the old Pokemon.
>>
>>2925778
And actually the game wasn't released in European or English speaking countries until 98 , so that guy is even more retarded.
>>
>>2925424

>Yes the newer games are better but what about MUH NOSTALGIA
>>
>>2925767
#2 turns to a moth senpai
>>
>>2925943
english names are meaningless. the japanese name is Morphon

do you also think venonat is a gnat?
>>
>>2925956
Shut the fuck up you cock sucking weabo cum rag
>>
>>2925964
beedrill is a wasp
seaking is a fresh water fish
mr. mime can be male and female
sandshrew is a pangolin

english names are totally legit and not some shit made up by a clueless localization team
>>
Firered and Leafgreen are the definite version
>>
File: 9sD973z.jpg (49KB, 640x960px) Image search: [Google]
9sD973z.jpg
49KB, 640x960px
>>2924735
They were good, but compared to current standards they do seem rather dated. I find them hard to go back to even though I played the shit out of them back in the day.

Whatever you do, don't name your pokemon. There are only like 8 different icons, so without their actual names it quickly becomes hard to find the exact pokemon you need.
>>
>>2925956
>>2925968
You're trying way too hard to start up english vs Japanese pokeman name bantz
>>
>>2924735
Yellow was the only good game
>>
>>2926282
you tried to justify the venomoth/butterfree ordeal with the english name, I proved you wrong, you told me to shut the fuck up and called me a cock sucking weabo cum rag, I proved you wrong further. that's all
>>
>>2926295
The only thing you've proved is an aggressive case of autism.
>>
>>2924735
fully reverse engineered source code

https://github.com/pret/pokered
>>
>>2926206
>I can't remember 6 names
>>
>>2924735
back then yes, they aged like milk
>>
>>2926735
Back to /v/ kiddo.
>>
>>2926735
>they aged like milk

When did this stupid meme start? This term I mean. I see people use it for tons of games.
>>
>>2926739
Not him but you're no better than /v/ spamming "back to reddit"
>>
>>2925778
The game came out outside of Japan in 98 and 99. I didn't know we had so many people who grew up in Japan on this board.
>>
>>2926753
That meme is old and stupid. It's aged like milk.
>>
>>2926928
That milk is old and stupid. It's aged like meme.
>>
>>2926753

It's always been a thing since mediums of art and entertainment are built on the foundations set by their predecessors.
>>
>>2927038
Never seen people say anything but games age like milk.
>>
>>2926753
>>2926928
>>2927067
>aged like milk
To say something has become spoiled or unpalatable in a short period of time, the inverse of aging like wine or improving with age.

I can't help being triggered by this, it's a very old saying.
>>
>>2926381
I believe he meant having a bunch of similar sprite pokemon in the box all named some random shit ya dangus
>>
Best Pokémon game for GBA system?
>>
File: snap_map.jpg (31KB, 400x271px) Image search: [Google]
snap_map.jpg
31KB, 400x271px
>>2927106

GBA is not /vr/, but the best Pokemon game is Snap
>>
>>2927109
Yes but the GBA can play all the old ones you raging faggot. Did I really need to explain for you rule monkeys?
>>
>>2927106
Silver or Crystal.
>>
>>2927117
Playing Game Boy games on a Game Boy Advance could not have happened on or before December 31st 1999, therefore it is not retro and not allowed
>>
>>2927121
I laughed but I still hate you.

>>2927120
Thanks bruh
>>
>>2927121
Better be playing Gold/Silver in Japanese, then.
>>
>>2927128
im here for u senpai, desu
>>
>>2924735
The foundation is solid but the games are very rough around the edges. The progression is a little unintuitive at times and the battle system has balance issues and bugs. Gold/Silver pretty much fixed all the problems and are superior in every way.

I wish Pokemon could have just kept improving in a linear fashion like that, with each new game being a straight replacement of the last one. I love the base formula but I hate how ancillary features are added/removed randomly between games to give them minor uniqueness.

But that's getting out of /vr/ territory. tl:dr: Pokemon gen 1 was revolutionary for the time but were cleaned up and replaced by Gold/Silver/Crystal, which id happily recommend to anyone who wants to try the franchise.
>>
I have a love/hate thing with Pokemon. The single player experience is obviously targeted towards kids and has fluctuations in quality, but it's really the only game out there that does a team building, competitive strategic RPG.

Even if it has balance issues and needs a lot of fan-made rules to function well, there is just not any franchise i know of that does this kind of thing. Not even the so called "Pokemon-killer" monster raising games try to emulate the competitive angle. So I keep coming back to Pokemon.
>>
>>2924932
They're great games but there's no reason to play them over the remakes unless you just want a blast of nostalgia or you're a fan of the series who came late and want to see where it started.

they aged badly
>>
>>2924932
And the lack of a run function.
Auto repel introduced in black 2 was one of the best things that ever happened to the series as well.
>>
>>2925424
Fire red does.
>>
File: 1447800142539.png (1MB, 1689x873px) Image search: [Google]
1447800142539.png
1MB, 1689x873px
>>2927695
Pokemon was not the first game of its type, nor is it the best.
>>
>>2927718
Does Megaten have multiplayer? I know other monster raising games existed, but I'm referring to the "competitive multiplayer turn-based RPG" aspect which seems unique to Pokemon
>>
>>2924735
play the remakes
Thread posts: 71
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.