[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I have a question for anons who grew up with the Nintendo

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 8

File: N64-Controller-Gray.jpg (2MB, 3060x2440px) Image search: [Google]
N64-Controller-Gray.jpg
2MB, 3060x2440px
So I have a question for anons who grew up with the Nintendo 64. The two controllers I have always give me problems with the analog stick depending on the game, either the analog stick kinda works or I have to change controls because it's not usable. Was it always this bad/faulty?
>>
>>2923310
I've used the same N64 controller for about 16 years now and it's never given me any problems at all.
>>
>>2923310
I've found a lot of N64 controllers in my time with damaged analog sticks. Most people chuckle and say it was previously owned by someone with a copy of Mario Party (I believe all 3 Mario Parties on the N64 had minigames that required vigorous rotation of the stick where most kids would push their palm into the stick and rotate as forcefully as possible).

The analog stick overall though is somewhat flimsy and obviously subject to being worn out probably even through regular gameplay - I've always found myself consciously trying to be gentle with them.

There is a used video game store near my house that buys controllers with broken sticks with gamecube-like replacement sticks and then sells them back - I've since replaced my controllers with these and would recommend anyone else do the same if they can find them.
>>
>>2923310
I've got an N64 controller with a stick that I've been very gentle with. It works perfectly fine and is precise.
>>
>>2923332
Meant to say:

buys controllers with broken sticks, fixes them with gamecube-like replacement sticks and then sells them back.

Obviously need to get to my morning coffee pretty quick here.
>>
File: sega_ad-scaled530.jpg (39KB, 450x317px) Image search: [Google]
sega_ad-scaled530.jpg
39KB, 450x317px
>>2923310
This was one of the first (was the first?) console analog sticks on the market. They are inherently flawed to wear out. They learned from their mistakes, and modern sticks are far better because of it.

Me and my homies crush at Mario Kart 64. That means we crush a lot of controllers too because they were out left-to-right because of power sliding.
>>
File: 45.gif (211KB, 480x320px) Image search: [Google]
45.gif
211KB, 480x320px
>>2923332
>>2923338
>fixes them with gamecube-like replacement sticks
Why would they do that?
>>
File: hyuck.png (57KB, 283x289px) Image search: [Google]
hyuck.png
57KB, 283x289px
>>2923332
>all 3 Mario Parties on the N64 had minigames that required vigorous rotation of the stick
WRONG!
Only the first game was that way, youngster. Go back to watching YouTube and letting clueless tryhards tell you what to think.
>>
>>2923346
This is true in practice, however the N64 controller analogue has significantly better precision than the analogue/ball type of today. None have the precision of an unworn N64 stick.
>>
My old N64 controllers have the stick very loose, but they still work alright, I don't have actual problems while playing games, I just wish they were stiffer because it feels better to the thumb, but it doesn't affect performance.

Your best bet is to get japanese controllers, I've read they're built better than the american/european ones.
>>
>>2923310
Grew up with N64:

The sticks are an old designed based on rotary encoders. They have issues with having incorrect zeroing if you're holding it when power is turned on, and they tend to loosen over time.

The design itself is indeed flawed, but it's workable.
>>
>>2923310
just put a little coconut oil on it and it'll run fine.
>>
>>2923310
Look up some videos on disassembling the controller, once you see how everything pieces together you can comfortably disassemble the stick assembly itself and do some work to clean out old gunk and build up the space the bottom of the stick is meant to rest in. If you fuck up the stick assembly, you can buy new ones on ebay, though I haven't tried one yet for quality, and despite looking fine in pictures they're cheap as dirt which makes me suspicious.
>>
The analog sticks wear significantly over time. I've never found any of mine to be unusable, but they require more power to control and become less sensitive with a lot of use.
>>
>>2923332
>>2923335
>>2923338
>>2923346
>>2923691
>>2924159
>>2924175
>>2924184
>>2924404
Hey, OP here (I know It'll add a new IP, but It's still me), the analog stick isn't stuck or anything, it acts weird in game. Example: some games the analog stick is really sensitive and sometimes it barely registers like I can move backwards without problem but will walk forward slowly as if I was hardly moving the analog stick.
>>
>>2923335
This. Mario Party fucking destroyed the things, but I never owned that game. I still have my original controller, but the stick still works just fine.

>>2924417
Did you buy it second hand? How long have you had it? Chances are you just got a shitty one. I'd say definitely try disassembling it and cleaning it out. Can make a world of difference.
>>
>>2924465
I bought them off ebay, but I don't remember if they were used or not. I will give cleaning it a try.
>>
>>2924505
>>2924465
also, I've had it for about a year or two. The analog stick has always been weird.
>>
File: 1452523663404.png (65KB, 322x328px) Image search: [Google]
1452523663404.png
65KB, 322x328px
>>2923310
I have sadly recently discovered my n64, and I am guessing my sister lost most of my controllers. What is a good "new" replacement N64 controller?
>>
>>2923369
Because they are thicker, larger, soft plastic, and easily replaced. They offer better grip.
>>
>>2923310
If you pull the controller apart, you can easily see how the plastic parts of the stick wear. This usually results in floppy/wobbly stick. It's very obvious when a controller is fucked.

I bought some replacement sticks off eBay a few years ago. They weren't as good as new originals, but they were better than worn out old originals.

Someone could make a killing from cashed-up nostalgic NEETs if they made a good metal N64 stick replacement.

But OP is describing that sensitivity or dead zone appears to be different. Try pulling yours apart and cleaning it out. As the plastic shreds, it makes plastic dust, maybe that's blocking the sensors.

Do the games you're playing have a sensitivity or deadzone adjustment? I don't remember such a thing but it's been ages since I played 64, and I never played many different games.
>>
>>2923373
But hes true that game was controllers pain
>>
Why doesn't Nintendo still make old controllers back to the nes? Surely they would at least be worth popping into the club rewards if not just sold outright for a hefty premium, perhaps $30-40 USD?
>>
>>2924532
My local retro game store carries a bunch of repro controllers by TTX. They swear by them. I've never used them, though, all of my originals still work well enough.
>>
I remember back in the day the analogs crapping out. Youd go to a friends house the thered be a shit/weak analog controller waiting. It wasnt uncommon. Youd see some dust/grinded plastic in there from usage. I dont think anyone liked the controller
>>
>>2925135

I like it for how unique it is. Playing some N64 games with another controller just doesn't work the same way.
I also like the grip, it's pretty comfortable despite "3 handed mutants" memes, and the quality of the overall controller (plastic, buttons) is good. The only actual flaw is the 3D stick that becomes loose with use, but it's still one of the most precise analog sticks I've tried.
>>
>>2923310
I never had issues other than the analog stick just kind of getting wear and tear on it and just feeling kind of loose, but it never got to where it wasn't usable.
>>
>>2924532
hori
>>
File: PSX-DualShock-Controller (1).jpg (2MB, 3060x2400px) Image search: [Google]
PSX-DualShock-Controller (1).jpg
2MB, 3060x2400px
>>2923310
Unless you were a ginger little baby when you had an N64 that stick was loose and fucked up. It's the worst part of the console. Sure you could repair it and do whatever the fuck, but when you're just a kid with barely any internet, you either buy new controllers or enjoy your flaccid limp dick stick

Granted the PSX hardly used its sticks but even if you did you would never break these fuckers
>>
>plastic dust
>grease
>30 minute Youtube tutorials
This shit is a nightmare. What's the easiest/best fix?

>>2923332
Sounds amazing
>>
File: Not_shit_n64_controller.jpg (21KB, 500x479px) Image search: [Google]
Not_shit_n64_controller.jpg
21KB, 500x479px
Yeah, the way they were made the sticks kind of scraped against the plastic they rested on, which wore down over time, resulting in the limp sticks. You could just replace your controller's analog sticks with one of those gross gamecube-style sticks, but those have sensitivity problems, goldeneye is impossible to play and you can't do smash attacks in smash. I use a hori controller that is a bit rare, but the sticks don't wear down.
>>
>>2926613
>Granted the PSX hardly used its sticks

That's pretty false - you getting confused with the number of games that REQUIRED you to have sticks, which is hardly any. Tons of games had analog movement, at the very least.
>>
>>2926783
Wasn't true analogue, it still only recognized 8 directions.
>>
>>2926778
That N64 controller interests me greatly, what kind is that?
>>
>>2926807
>That N64 controller interests me greatly, what kind is that?
>>2926778
>I use a hori controller that is a bit rare, but the sticks don't wear down.
READING SKILLS ARE A LIL WEAK EH?
>>2926778
the newest ones arent that bad and you can get an improved board to make them tits
>>
>>2926778
Where did you get that?
>>
>>2923332
Pokemon Stadium. My childhood <3
>>
If you open up the controller, the only thing that actually wears down is the two black things. The entire problem could be permanently solved if you were able to buy a packet of them together and they can't cost that much to produce. Maybe if you could mould one out of something like fantastic plastic.
>>
>>2928463
but you can buy them anon, cheaply
http://store.kitsch-bent.com/product/n64-joystick-gears
>>2926807
>>2927940
its the fuckin hori pad anon talked about in that post.
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=hori+n64+controller
>>
>>2928602
Wow awesome, thanks a bunch!!! I've been wishing for something like this for over ten years...
>>
>>2928620
glad to help, found that store looking for a frontlight kit for my gbc.
>>
File: O0pEz.jpg (110KB, 600x610px) Image search: [Google]
O0pEz.jpg
110KB, 600x610px
>>
>>2929132
How everybody uses these haha. I can only think of a few games that need the d-pad.
>>
>>2929136
4 of my favorite games on the system use it: Goemon's Great Adventure, Mischief Makers, Bangai-O and Sin and Punishment

I also recently used it because I played the original DK arcade game on DK64.
>>
>>2929205
This. And the Pokemon Stadiums used the d-pad too. Both on the main game and on the minigames. One of the minigames even required your left hand on the d-pad and the right on the joystick.
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.