[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Who in their right mind thought this game was a good idea? Did

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

Who in their right mind thought this game was a good idea? Did anybody on /vr/ actually enjoy this steaming pile of shit, or even manage to complete it without extensively consulting a guide?

I don't even know where to begin.

Instead of exploring an open-world like you do in SF1, you progress through a series of chapters that span several decades. Once you enter a chapter, you're locked in. There's no backing out. If you selected a chapter that's too difficult for your party to handle at their current level, then you're screwed and likely have to nuke your save and start over.

You can play some chapters out of chronological order, which makes it difficult to follow the plot at times. One minute your protagonist is 15 years old, then next, he's on his death bed mumbling something that would be relevant to you much later down the line, but you'll likely forget about it long before you reach to that point. When you DO reach that point, the added bit context was likely crucial to understanding the plot after all.

It's entirely possible to complete the chapters in such an order as to limit your remaining selection of chapters to those that would be impossible for you to advance through unless you had wasted the last 10 hours grinding. So once again, you find yourself having to nuke your save and start from scratch.
>>
>>2921808
>(continued)

Points of no return appear in the most arbitrary spots. Backtrack one screen? The chapter inexplicably ends before you had a chance to grind or pick up any treasures. Advance one screen? Suddenly you're trapped in a new location and simply aren't allowed to backtrack through the open pathway that you just stumbled through, which is still visibly open.

The game often strands you in locations that don't permit you any access to shops, inns or other means of replenishing your resources. The final dungeon is the most horrendous example of this, AND you're forced to fight through a lengthy gauntlet of what can only be called superbosses before you can even reach the final battle. The final battle itself is so outrageous that players have been known to ragequit SF2 and never pick it up again.
>>
>retarded and unintuitive design decisions
>in SaGa
Well, color me surprised.

At least it looked very good.
>>
Triangle + R2 solved most of my problems with the game.
>>
It's been years since I played it but the only part I remember giving me trouble was the battle of south moundtop.
>>
This is the only PSX game I ever bought and never finished.

Not even close, I hated this game from the fourth hour or so once shit like getting choked off from backtracking and getting stuck in places while under leveled happened constantly.
>>
Is this bait?

SaGa Frontier 2 is one of my favorite games
>>
I never really felt that SaGa Frontier 2 was all that difficult. There was one of those "strategy" battles I got stuck on for a bit, but that was about it. If I lost to a boss, I'd just load up my save / quicksave, and try something different. Sometimes you can get really lucky with skill combos in duels, too.
>>
>>2921856
>There was one of those "strategy" battles I got stuck on for a bit
Yeah, and I'm willing to be it was the battle of south moundtop.
>>
>>2921869
Not the guy you're replying too but I got stuck on the one where you vs fake gustuv
>>
>>2921869
It's been ages since I've played it, so I really don't remember. That could be it, though.
>>
>>2921875
Yes, that is the one.
>>2921878
>That could be it, though.
I'm like 95% sure it is since all the other strategy levels were basically tutorials and quite difficult to fuck up, let alone repeatedly to the point you'd get stuck on it.
>>
>>2921854
So, what's your plea ?
>>
>Instead of exploring an open-world like you do in SF1, you progress through a series of chapters that span several decades. Once you enter a chapter, you're locked in. There's no backing out. If you selected a chapter that's too difficult for your party to handle at their current level, then you're screwed and likely have to nuke your save and start over.
I don't like SaGa Frontier 2, but at that point you should know to carry around two save files since once you accept an event and you make a save file within it you are locked into it until you beat it.

Personally I don't like SaGa Frontier 2. It is the most backwards of all the SaGa games and there are many points where there is just too much story when you just want to play the game.

Sure Gustave is cool, but that doesn't make up for its sheer restrictiveness in where you can go. Ended up at the battle of South Moundtop before my PSP battery died and never replaced it and I can't be assed to go through the game to get to that point or clear it if luck can be a factor to beat it since some strategies aren't 100% guaranteed to work.

I never really dug Masashi Hamauzu's sound track, I found it ill fitting for battles and ended up making the battles feel even slower and dull while Kenji Ito is fiery and upbeat.

So far it is the only localized SaGa game I haven't completed, and would much rather play something like Unlimited Saga.
>>
Is there a reason why the title is stylized like that? "SaGa"? Is it an abbreviation/shortened term for something else?
>>
File: Makai_Toushi_SaGa.jpg (207KB, 434x500px) Image search: [Google]
Makai_Toushi_SaGa.jpg
207KB, 434x500px
>>2924078
Maybe because it looks cool to the Japs, I don't know why the G is capitalized.
>>
I honestly quite like the lack of direction the game gives you most of the time, you really gotta be on the ball cause it runs right the fuck away from you

on the other hand, if you take your time there's quite a lot to enjoy
>>
File: Fianna has seen things.png (533KB, 859x479px) Image search: [Google]
Fianna has seen things.png
533KB, 859x479px
>make it to final boss
>it won't die
>Ever
>>
>>2921808
>If you selected a chapter that's too difficult for your party to handle at their current level, then you're screwed and likely have to nuke your save and start over.
That will teach you to save more often.
>You can play some chapters out of chronological order, which makes it difficult to follow the plot at times.
Then play them in order if you want to follow the plot, no one's forcing you to play them out of order, it's mostly for new game+ shenanigans.
> One minute your protagonist is 15 years old, then next, he's on his death bed mumbling something that would be relevant to you much later down the line
This literally never, ever happens.
>but you'll likely forget about it long before you reach to that point.
Nah, not even if you play separate scenarios, the story is too concise to make it difficult to follow.
>It's entirely possible to complete the chapters in such an order as to limit your remaining selection of chapters to those that would be impossible for you to advance through unless you had wasted the last 10 hours grinding.
Or maybe you should use your brain a bit? None of the fights cockblock you besides the fight with the Dragon before the Last Megalith at which point you should be so naturally strong from all the fighting and treasures you got it shouldn't be a porblem at all.
>Points of no return appear in the most arbitrary spots.
False again, the only significant scenario with points of no return is Johan's scenario, all the others are straightforward well enough.
>The chapter inexplicably ends before you had a chance to grind
>Grinding in a SaGa game
>or pick up any treasures.
That teaches you to take your time and explore.
>>
>>2925217
>The game often strands you in locations that don't permit you any access to shops, inns or other means of replenishing your resources.
You don't need them, you should also learn to manage your tools and not spam arts and spells needlessly.
>The final dungeon is the most horrendous example of this
You expected the final dungeon to be easy? I don't know what to tell you.
>AND you're forced to fight through a lengthy gauntlet of what can only be called superbosses before you can even reach the final battle.
Utterly false, only the Water Lord is "mandatory", since you can skip even that if ou know the map layout, all the other bosses can be skipped, you can even win their fights simply by turtling as they'll die after 20 turns or something, they're piss easy.
> The final battle itself is so outrageous that players have been known to ragequit SF2 and never pick it up again.
Git Gud, the Seven Heroes are much harder than the Egg, even Chaos in Unlimited is potentially harder than the Egg.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.