[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Novel Arcade Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6

File: 00v0v_4usJRxRYJMZ_600x450.jpg (30KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
00v0v_4usJRxRYJMZ_600x450.jpg
30KB, 600x450px
In this thread let's post arcade games that use some gimmick that can't really be duplicated through porting or emulation.

I'll start with color vector display, though by all means post other fuck awesome vector machines too.
>>
Skee ball
>>
File: 00d0d_fNItAiJwt0q_600x450.jpg (20KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
00d0d_fNItAiJwt0q_600x450.jpg
20KB, 600x450px
I just saw this cocktail Space Duel on my CraIgslist and it's so special and rare I had to share it even though the guy is some "I know what I got" Boomer.

Pretty much everybody on Craigslist seems totally insane with their far above eBay prices bit I've met this particular guy and he has a whole warehouse full of arcade stuff and he'll probably die there without selling much. I guess I should preemptively get friendly with his likely inheritors
>>
>>2921441
I think I like strength testers better. I can crush the arm wrestling kind on their highest difficulty but the kind where you punch the bag, I only score okay at. What's up with that?
>>
>>2921451
You use different muscles for each of those. Triceps for punching, and biceps with some other muscles for arm wrestling.
>>
File: baby_pacman_pinball.jpg (257KB, 800x1269px) Image search: [Google]
baby_pacman_pinball.jpg
257KB, 800x1269px
Half game, half pinball. I wanna try this game so bad. I guess someone could try to emulate it with some virtual pinball shit but it really wouldn't be the same.
>>
File: 1181242155152.jpg (53KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1181242155152.jpg
53KB, 640x480px
The R360. Das it mane
>>
>>2921446
Sounds like one of those people who'd try to sell a shitty multicade conversion for over $1k.
>>
>>2921495
Fuck yes. I'm not fond of G-Loc but ever since I discovered Wing War is R360 compatible I've had an unbelievable boner for one of these.
>>
>>2921502
He has many listed at $700-$1000 yet he still also tries to get $100+ for the kits he pulls out of the cabinets he converts, and doesn't include the panels.
>>
>>2921476
I feel your pain. Saw one at an arcade once but it was out of order.
>>
One of my favorite games that I've played, I visited this machine a lot at the Strong Museum of Play in Rochester.

I want to get my own someday but I doubt I'd ever have the space or the actual justification to own such a machine.
>>
File: 21013801[1].jpg (256KB, 850x1189px) Image search: [Google]
21013801[1].jpg
256KB, 850x1189px
>>2921576
whoops no image
>>
>>2921515
Looks like I nailed it. I wonder who actually buys those?
>>
>>2921596
Nobody. That's why there are a hundred different ads on there by the same by all the time. Sometimes I see people posting angry responses right there on behalf of the community.

Not me

Although I AM right by his warehouse this very second. Should I fuck with it?
>>
>>2921476
>>2921561

Those games were out of order a lot even when they were still relatively new. Just too many things that can go wrong.

Most of my local arcades had those. The pinball portion is kind of meh compared to a full pin but you need to be good at it because the pacman game itself is very hard compared to other pacs and hitting targets on the pin is the only way to put power pellets on the board.

Overall though it was pretty okay.
>>
File: arm-790819[1].jpg (53KB, 313x500px) Image search: [Google]
arm-790819[1].jpg
53KB, 313x500px
I use to run an arcade from 2008 to 2012.

My opinion is that the only thing arcades have to offer is nostalgia (for some), and unique interfacing.

Games like Marvel vs Capcom 2 doesn't impress kids today, its nothing they can't experience at home, but a racing games, shooting games (like Time Crises), or other physical orientated games like ones that you punch or otherwise like arm wrestling, these are not things you can do at home. And regardless of how old these games are, kids still find them a blast.

I had a Arm Champs II cab in my arcade and it was easily one of the most popular games I had. the unique interfacing and art spiked people's imagination. And older people liked it too for the physical challenge since it was fucking hard to be on the hardest difficulty even for very strong men. So much so that the whiping around of the machine eventually broke the fucking tube of the CRT monitor.

Novelty is king.

If anyone has any questions about the industry, feel free to ask
>>
>>2921996
>I use to run an arcade from 2008 to 2012.
why did you stop? What did you offer? Were your machines pulling a profit, or just covering their maintenance costs?

>My opinion is that the only thing arcades have to offer is nostalgia (for some), and unique interfacing.
Spot on. It's up to the industry to understand that, and actually focus on these strengths, instead of trying to do what used to work, and then calling arcades dead, because the machines aren't generating attention.
>>
>>2921996
It's a shame that for me, the shooting game is always some deer hunting thing, and the driving game is always that Fast and Furious game with bikes. I wish I could do something to make game selections more diverse.
>>
>>2921592
>>2921576
I used to play this at Playdium in Burnaby BC.

Always kinda sucked because being in an arcade it got used and abused, meaning the pedals fucking had no resistance of any kind which felt shitty.

That's the biggest shame about arcade machines. They always get the most bottom of the barrel retards wrecking them for everyone else.
>>
>>2922806
>it's up to the industry now to understand that

Uh... yeah.

Why do you think no one makes arcade machines anymore?

There aren't many if any arcades around most cities. It's a very niche market. Investing time and resources to building hardware that has a unique feel like that Arm Champs, or a racing or lightgun shooting game isn't worth it.
>>
>>2922827
>Why do you think no one makes arcade machines anymore?
Because they failed to understand. If all they take from it is "the arcade is dead", they have not understood anything. The correct solution is "the arcade has become specialized"

>It's a very niche market
They only have themselves to blame for that suicide

>isn't worth it
Being a monopolist in a profitable market surely sounds "worth it". Problem is, they trashed their market, due to the aforementioned lack of understanding what's going on. They produced stuff that's in direct competition with home machines, and then wondered why it won't work, blaming a general lack of interest.
>>
>>2922827
>Arm Champs, or a racing or lightgun shooting game
way to miss the point, see >>2921996
>Novelty is king.
Doing what's available already, with minor changes, is NOT novelty. That works on home machines, because people need their next dose, but in the arcade you're competing on terms of novelty
>>
>>2922839
No, they shifted to a market that has way more potential the home game market.

Hardware still exists. You can get crazy peripherals. Driving Wheels, shit like Skateboards for Tony Hawk and Guitars for Guitar Hero.

They just cut out the arcade middleman. Why sell 1000 machines when you could sell 1 million peripherals?

Guitar hero would've been a successful arcade game if it came out during prime arcade time, but it was way more successful on PS2 and Xbox 360.
>>
>>2922845
>potential
At that competition? Barrier of entry is brutal, you need to constantly produce material to get into the wallets of your victims, and you need established IP, or your risk is way too high.

>Why sell 1000 machines when you could sell 1 million peripherals?
Because the peripherals are simplified and scaled down. The arcade can give you the real deal
>>
>>2922852
It doesn't change the fact that even if, the arcade version was superior, that the home version is "good enough" for 90% of people.

A business doesn't stay open by having a handful of enthusiasts. It stays open by having a lot of customers. Customers who are way more likely to spend the 75 bucks once, then consistently come into your arcade.

Sorry man, those are just the facts. Arcades are dead. They were probably doomed to fail honestly. We have gaming on our damn phones now, and most of those games are good enough to entertain regular people.
>>
Nevermind crazy cockpit arcades. Sega's Virtual On arcade with Dual stick and dueling with separate machine instead of splitscreen. Man I miss those. I have a friend who plays Dreamcast splitscreen with me. He always says how he wanted to beat me on the arcades where it is "fair and square". Dude, do you even Dual Stick?
>>
>>2922875
It's like talking to a fucking wall.
>>
Just a thought. I think rise of online gaming also have a role in arcades decline. I remember going to arcades to look for decent opponent on fighting games. I even remember playing on groups against other players from another school, complete with planning schedules and rosters. Nowadays, if you want to play against strangers you can easily do so via online gaming...
>>
>>2922907
the cool thing about the players at the arcade is that they're strangers just for a short time. After that, you'll have gained likeminded friends
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.