[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do the first three Resident Evil games (the PlayStation originals)

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 182
Thread images: 24

File: Resident_Evil_1_cover.png (253KB, 300x452px) Image search: [Google]
Resident_Evil_1_cover.png
253KB, 300x452px
Do the first three Resident Evil games (the PlayStation originals) still hold up?
>>
File: 2015-03-20_00011.jpg (194KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
2015-03-20_00011.jpg
194KB, 1920x1080px
Yes. As long as you're not one of those shit flinging babies who can't into tank controls. Even Resident Evil 1, with a superior version being out there, is still worth the play through for the B-movie feel it has.
>>
If you are able to get the hang of the controls, they are still excellent games. For RE1, play both the original and REmake.
>>
>>2917258

I can't into tank controls, especially not in a game like RE where you need to conserve ammo by avoiding enemies. I have a bigger problem with the camera angles than the tank controls, though.

It's part of why I prefer RE4
>>
>>2917248
IMO, RE1 has a huge "git gud" curve to it that can't be picked up by modern audiences too well, and graphically, it's severely dated. Not saying I don't personally like it, but I wouldn't say it's a generally appealing game.

RE2 and 3 hold up very well, with RE2 being, in my opinion, the epitome of fixed camera survival horror.
>>
>>2917267
>RE2 being, in my opinion, the epitome of fixed camera survival horror.

Wrong.

The correct answer is Resident Evil 1.5 and Behind The Mask mod, made by the brilliant Team Igas and head modder Gemini.

Any other answer is wrong.

/thread
>>
>>2917282
>The correct answer is Resident Evil 1.5 and Behind The Mask mod, made by the brilliant Team Igas and head modder Gemini.

pushing your fan project much?
>>
File: clare.jpg (500KB, 900x855px) Image search: [Google]
clare.jpg
500KB, 900x855px
Yes, I've just recently been playing them.

And I hate tank controls.

RE2 in particular is ridiculously good. I'm not even sure how the planned remake can possibly do anything except fuck up whats already an almost perfect game.
>>
>>2917264
RE4 is the same tank controls only with freer aiming and the camera is behind the characters back.

It's not tank controls most had a problem with. It was just the fixed camera angles in combination with the tank controls.

Honestly people just suck at video games. Including you.
>>
>>2917282
My nigga anaon, team igas is so fucking based. In my honest opinion, they're the best thing to happen to Resident Evil, hell gaming in general, in the last 5 years.

have you donated to their pateron yet?

https://www.patreon.com/loboto3?ty=h
>>
>>2917248
I recently played through all the classic Resident Evils, and I can't really decide which is better than the other. It's like every subsequent entry improved upon something but is missing a gameplay element or mechanic from the former game for no reason.
>>
I just played through RE1 last November or so, and it's great. It's got the perfect blend of creepiness and hollywood cheese. You don't even notice the controls after maybe twenty or thirty minutes of playing the game.
>>
>>2917328
3 is my favorite, but I feel 2 is the better game for reasons...Nemesis being the reason.
>>
Yes. 2 is one of the best games ever made.
>>
RE3 is best.

True believers know.
>>
>>2917343
3 is my favorite as well, but if anything is the argument for the superiority of 3 over 2 it's Nemesis.

RE1 was definitely the most difficult one and I feel it doesn't get enough praise for the formula it established. It can't be called a trailblazer because it really owes a lot to AitD but it's a far better game anyway.
RE2 definitely improved upon the events and pacing and packs more of a punch than other games but the downside of that is that it's quite short, playing it four times can feel like a chore and it's far too easy all the way through. Removing choices was a bad move as well
RE3 has the best gameplay of them all as well as the best choice system; dodging, 180 turn and Nemesis chases were all great additions but there is no denying that it absolutely feels like an expansion pack to 2 and a side story.
Code Veronica added a bunch of good new stuff and bosses are (arguably) the best yet, but had some weird changes like no dodging, an insane amount of backtracking, a ridiculously overpowered knife etc.

Survivor is by far the weakest game of the bunch but had the most intense survival even with infinite bullets. Constantly getting swarmed with Hunters and multiple T-103s with no save option and bad controls/weird camera angle was something else
>>
>>2917350
Or, looking back with the benefit of hindsight, it is actually the worst one because it was so bad they never made another RE with that gameplay formula again.
>>
>>2917290
I hope they don't ruin it with unnecessary mechanics like the body burning bullshit.
>>
File: re3outfits.jpg (124KB, 1200x960px) Image search: [Google]
re3outfits.jpg
124KB, 1200x960px
How well does the PC versions of RE1-3 run on a modern machine?
>>
>>2917308
Yes I donated kind anon, I encourage everyone to do the same too!
>>
File: get dat red herb.png (561KB, 1040x806px) Image search: [Google]
get dat red herb.png
561KB, 1040x806px
>>2917385

I am able to run it and RE2 on windows 7 just fine, even though most of the graphics cards it thinks you have haven't existed for years.
>>
>>2917328
What I always loved about the original 3 REs is that each of them brings something different to the table, based around a central formula. Rather than literally being the same exact thing over and over again (like many people seem to think they are)

RE1 had it's atmosphere, lack of features (which is a feature in and of itself now), multiple ending routes and depending on what version, either no auto aim (for greater difficulty), or arrange mode.

RE2 had that scenario system, and that 90's horror movie feel that was awesome, along with the "zapping" system and the fact that if you bring too much ammo with you into the lab, the lickers are the tougher, black variety, rather than normal red ones.

RE3 has the best controls, lots of randomized elements, and the ability to make your own ammo. Not to mention it's the absolute best game for challenge runs ever made, and has the best replay value of any game ever.

Hell, even after that, the classic series kept it up.

RECV is full 3D with MOVING cameras (WOW!), weapons you can aim in 2 directions at once, and what I see as the highest difficulty level of all classic REs. Plus little touches like equipping the lighter as an item to actually see better in dark areas

REmake it a lot moodier, has the sub weapons, body burning and crimson heads, on top of the best puzzles of the entirety of videogames

RE Zero has the character zapping system, the ability to drop items anywhere you happen to be and exploration worked a little differently than in past entries (for example, the hook shot could be used in many areas, rather than being "one and done" like similar things in past games)

Just an awesome series.
>>
>>2917487
>multiple ending routes

Sad thing is most people never see them outside of "oops, Barry died" because that one you can accidentally trigger if you don't know where it is. Best ending is flying away in the choppa by yourself while the Tyrant is set free on the world.
>>
I GOT A SHOTGUN!
>>
In the past few weeks I have played tons of "RE clones", after which I played some RE1 again.

The reason why RE1 was so succesfull was because of how well designed it is. Not a SINGLE clone, besides Dino Crisis (same director) and Silent Hill, comes close to the quality of RE.

Resident Evil is not of those games that was the first at something, after which the others improved on. That would be Alone In The Dark. The only games which, arguably, "improved" on it are sequels to the game and those two games I have mentioned.

So yes it still "holds up". If you have a problem with Resident Evil, like with its control or something, chances are you have a problem with the entire sub-genre.
>>
>>2917267
RE2 is a pale copy of RE1, all they did was re-do the same game with a few changes.
Enter big mansion, find 3 keys, go out the back door a little, come back to the mansion with the last key to unlock the few remaining rooms (including optional ones just for strong ammo or weapons) while fighting a new type of enemy (Hunter/Licker); only to finally go further out the mansion, find an Umbrella lab, make it explode.

All down to using 4 "key" items to unlock the backdoors, it still baffles me how so few people realize they're playing the same game.... The same game, except worse.
The gameplay balance is worse, there is just not as much tension, clinging on supplies, or feeling like your weapons are underpowered.
The puzzles, real puzzles (not just "insert item, trigger event", that's not a puzzle) are fewer and don't have as much thought put into them.
The environment just doesn't feel as out-of-this-world nightmarish.
The way the story unfolds is worse. In RE1 you get different cutscenes and endings depending on your actions, not only that gives more replay value but it also gives a greater importance to the player's role. In 2 they fucked that all up, and instead have the player go through the same game 4 times just to see barely 5-10% different stuff each time. How the hell does anyone STILL think this is okay but any standard ?!

The only thing RE2 does better than 1 is the technical side. Technically speaking, the 3D models are more detailed, more realistic, the animations a little smoother, and the backgrounds have more detailed crammed into them. So if you don't put too much thought into it, you just look at it and think "shit, this is just like 1 but better".
That, and its Nightmare difficulty mode, which finally turns it into the survival horror it should have had the guts to be, though that mode only appears in the Dreamcast and PC versions of the game.
>>
>>2917785
People like RE2 more because it had 4 different campaigns, and because Mr. X was a great enemy.

Also, Claire > Jill
>>
>>2917785
Resident Evil 2 offers a much more coherent experience than 1. The run to the police station is the better opener. The lickers appearing immediately after you just ran past 20 zombies is a huge change of pace, the presentation and danger of the bosses is much better than in the original, and the stories of both characters complement instead of replace the other.

Resident Evil is great because it's about figuring out what is going on. Resident Evil 2 had to move on to a different presentation because the player already knew what was going on.

Just because you take issue with the 3 sea shells, the puzzles, and the supplies doesn't mean Resident Evil 2 wasn't the better game.
>>
>>2917817
But I just expressed why I think those "4 campaigns" are not well designed.

In RE1 you have 2 campaigns which plays a lot differently from each other. Plus depending on your actions, you get different events, different cutscenes, some influence on the gameplay too (like whether or not you play some bosses, whether or not you have to fetch an item, whether or not you have to solve a certain puzzle, etc)
In 2, you have 4 fixed campaigns. Nothing every changes in each scenario no matter what you do. That and all the campaigns are roughly 85-90% the same (depending which one you're comparing). Plus, the B scenarios are just the As with a little more at the end, so the A scenarios shouldn't even have existed. On top of that, even the difference between Claire and Leon isn't as big as the difference between Jill and Chris.

If you take all the "unique" things of each scenario and put it together; you don't get more actual unique content than all the different possibilities of 1 combined. It doesn't have more possibilities, but it tries to make the player believe it's longer by forcing him to play the game 4 times just to see bits and pieces different each time.
Besides, it makes of it a worse adventure game. Survival horror are action-adventure (that's how they were called before the name of the genre existed) with a horror theme, so that's important. Having things of the story change depending on your action is a mechanic of adventure games which is inexistant in 2.

I don't know how people can scream "artificial difficulty" for things that are not; and be totally okay with RE2 and not scream "artificial length".
>>
>>2917831
>>2917817

If you ask me, the A scenarios shouldn't have existed. The influence between the As and the Bs is almost null, it's just 2 optional small things. So, take the As out, then you get Claire B and Leon B; and make it so that the differences between A and B are triggered depending on your actions. So, depending on your actions during the scenario, you may get the full B events, or just the A events.

>>2917823
> The run to the police station is the better opener.

I agree, it's great, maybe one of the best parts of the game, but it's short, has little influence on the game; and on top of that, it's incredibily frustrating. You're told the entire city has been invaded by zombies, you start in the street with little ammo, panicked with zombies everywhere, it's amazing.... and then you quickly end up in the mansion and live RE1 all over again and never see the city again. Thank god for RE3.

>The lickers appearing immediately after you just ran past 20 zombies is a huge change of pace

You don't get the lickers after just a bunch of zombies. There is more than 20 zombies in the streets alone. The lickers unfolds JUST like in RE1, and are a pale, weak and less threatening copy of them. You enter the mansion, go through the first three keys, go out a little, come back and fight the lickers/hunters. You get the feeling that you get them sooner only because the "getting out the mansion" part is shorter in 2 than in 1.

>>2917823
>and the stories of both characters complement instead of replace the other.
Yeaaah... in a way that only makes sense when the game wants to, in a few cutscenes. Most of the times it doesn't, if you take a A scenario and B scenario, both characters go through the SAME things, fight the same enemies, solve mostly the same puzzles, open the same locked doors, and i'm supposed to believe they "complement" each other because a few cutscenes tell me so. It was badly executed.
>>
>>2917823
>danger of the bosses is much better than in the original
That too I completely disagree on. The bosses ' bad design is one of the main reason why the survival gameplay mechanics aren't as engaging in 2, compared to 1.
In 1, most of the bosses you don't have to fight. The first giant snake encounter, you can just take the item and flee. The shark, you may empty the room from its water. The plant, you may solve a puzzle to help kill it, or if you did things right with Jill, get Barry to help you too. The giant spider, you may just cut the webs and leave, and you can even trick the spider into destroying its own webs !!! The last boss, you just dodge his attacks until you get the rocket launcher.

So, you think this whole description goes in favour of your point, saying they're less of a danger because you can avoid most of them.
Well, let me argue why it's the contrary.

First of all, we're talking SURVIVAL action here, and what's more survival then dodging, fleeing, getting the spider to destroy its own webs, or solving a puzzle?! In RE2 you just shoot.

Because you don't HAVE to fight most of them, the game doesn't have to worry about you having enough ammo and healh items. As a result, RE1 has really tight supplies.
On the contrary in RE2, since you have to kill them all, the game has to make sure you have enough ammo at all times. As a result, you have a lot more weapons, a lot more ammo and health items; and all of them, more in plain sight for you to pick up. In RE1, having to look for hidden supplies was a great deal of the game and had a huge impact, and that resulted in a real survival adventure experience with important exploration part; in 2, not only there is a lot less hidden supplies, but they are not as important, not only because you mostly find weaker ammo type in the hidden spots, but because there is so much stuff to pick up in plain sight you may as well not have to look for anything. Just to make sure you can kill the bosses.
>>
>>2917831
>Plus, the B scenarios are just the As with a little more at the end

Not true at all. Sounds like you should go back and fully replay RE2.
>>
>>2917886
I have played RE1/2/3 a hundred times each at least.
I know I'm exaggerating, there are differences, but if you take Leon A and Leon B, besides the couple extra environment, which all are at the end (from the train to the lab), not much has changed. Just the tyrant and bosses as the most important points. The rest are details, like small changes in enemy or item placement. 85-90% of the game is the same.
>>
File: RE3DinoCrisisPoster.png (2MB, 1442x865px) Image search: [Google]
RE3DinoCrisisPoster.png
2MB, 1442x865px
This thread made me want to replay RE3 for the 1xxth time; and this guy still holds surprises for me after all this time.

There is a Dino Crisis poster in the hospital, you can only see it for a second during the cutscene when you meet the Hunters.

I remember a rumour saying there is an Alone In The Dark poster in the game, iirc in the alley near the crashed bus from which crows come out of; but I've never seen it. Think it's just a rumour.
>>
ON the subject of controls, can someone please breakdown how the survivor games work? Specifically with the Guncon/Gcon2. I figure that's the most authentic way to play Survivor 1, Dead Aim and the likes.
>>
>>2917282
I know you're joking.

But Gemini's engine is genuinely impressive, I played the demo and it feels just like a RE game.
>>
>>2918317
Using the gun, the controls are awful. Survivor was released at a time when guns had no d-pad; and they didn't make it so that you could use a pad AND a gun at the same time.

So the gun has 2 buttons; one to shoot, one to move. IIRC it's something like press once to walk forward, twice to run forward, and three times to go backwards. Going left and right depends on your cursor IIRC. It may not be exactly that but it's something along that line that's as painful as it sounds, because in the middle of the action, you're going to waste time not successfully running and walking instead, and don't even THINK of going backwards, it never works.

The aiming is good though; but since the gun doesn't actually require precise aiming, as shooting any part of the body is the same, there is no headshot or anything, I actually recommend to play Survivor with a pad. The aiming is worse, but the controls are much better.

It's sad there is no perfect way to play this game. The PC version turns it into an actual FPS, where you can walk and shoot at the same time, but the game was release unfinished, glitchy and with virtually no AI on some enemies.
>>
>>2917282
>>2917308
>>2917450
the shilling is real

please fuck off
>>
>>2918368
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dalEz0WO9kQ
>>
Resident Evil threads are literally the same copy pasta threads from years ago. It goes pretty fast to ranking the first three titles where the nostalgiafags/casuals praise 2 as one of the best games ever and NESfag posting always the same long explanations why it's overrated.

Personally I think 1 is the best game in the series since it has the best atmosphere and is the only true survival horror game in the series since the resources are far more limited. Of course the remake only made it way better. One of the best remakes of all time for sure.
>>
Play it with the Resident Evil Ultimate Directors' Cut Dual Shock mod
>>
>>2918368
>>2918383
Just donate to our patreon please, okay?

Thanks
>>
File: RULES-A NATURE.gif (97KB, 398x303px) Image search: [Google]
RULES-A NATURE.gif
97KB, 398x303px
>>2917248
What the fuck is that gun he is holding?
It has the stock and rear of an M-16.
The middle is something that looks like a french pre-WW1 machinegun prototype with those finicky early drum-magazines, then the front end is a remington shotgun.
>>
>>2918501
Already donated.
>>
>>2918508
>>2918501
>>2918440

>le pretend shill malicious intent man
get out
>>
>>2917283
>modder
>m o d d e r
>MODDER
>O
>D
>D
>E
>R

Ah!
>>
>>2918510
Fuck off DXP you jealous little bitch.
>>
>>2917860
The only good boss in 1 is Black Tiger, specifically because they went through the effort to make that fight so dynamic. The only other one that comes close is Tyrant 2 because he actually picked up enough speed to require you to actively dodge.

RE2 requiring you to actually kill the bosses was a good change of pace, because in 1 the whole experience was just so goofy. Yawn honestly looks and fights just silly, you have to go out of your way to fight plant 42 most of the time, Yawn 2 is slightly better in that the camera angles aren't terrible, Black Tiger is great for all the reasons you bring up, and Tyrant 1 is easy while Tyrant 2 is a waiting game. Contrast that to 2 where you're fighting Birkin/G-spawn, where the camera angle isn't a mess like Yawn 1, and enemies are actually hostile beyond just being hungry and have a better build up than Richard getting bitten. Then you have the Gator, who is laughably easy, but is visually fantastic and much more intense as far as being stuck in a dead end corridor compared to the shit that is Plant 42. Then you've got Birkin 2/3, who has that nice transformation effect going on and really sets the stage of Williams mutations, and then the final Birkin battle where he transforms in to quadruped. Sure, you go in to all those fights having to actually shoot your way out of them, but that was the whole theme of RE2: having to fight your way out of the city.

That's not even getting in to how much better the B scenarios get through the introduction of Mr. X, and the final tyrant fight is way better than the original, because that tyrant will fuck you up with his dashing slashes.

You might not like the "fight your way out of the city" approach compared to "survive the mansion", but that's purely subjective on your part.
>>
>>2918459
It's a combination of a shotgun and a M16, photoshop mad skills.
>>
>>2918529
It doesn't even feel like you fight your way out of the city. You get in the police department, to the sewers and then into the train that gets you magically out of the city. If you want to actually fight your way out of the city there is RE3.
>>
>>2918529
Honestly I'd even argue that the bossfights themselves in RE2 aren't very good.

Most of them you can just stand and spam whatever strongest weapon you have.
Baby Birkin ? Stand and spam with no harm, no need to move he'll be down before he reaches you.

Same thing for Birkin 1. Birkin 2 adds a little more, yeah you actually need to run back a couple of times in between sequences of "stand and spam with no harm", but there is so much space avalaible and he's slow it's really not an issue.

The alligator you mentioned.

Tyrant ? Stand and spam with no harm. you MAY need to run back once depending on the room you're in.

Then there is the giant moth. I think the fact that you forgot to mention it at all says it all.

Tyrant 2, you actually have to do something... but it pretty much plays just like Tyrant in 1, been there, done that.

And then you have the grand finale, the last transformation of Birkin in the train: the worst case of "stand&spam" of the entire game!

There is no real dynamic to any of these bossfights except Tyrant2.
In RE1, if you want to "stand&spam", you'd get wrecked and have to waste a lot of healing items, and the movement isn't just running back once or twice like with the many Tyrant1 or Birkin2.
>>
>>2917248

Hey guys. I recently completed Resident Evil and I loved it. However, I have a question about the ending. Don't read on any further if you don't want spoilers.

Is there supposed to be a final boss fight besides the Tyrant in the lab? My girlfriend and I played it together and she said that she recalled there being a boss fight on the rooftop but the game just ended without one. Did I miss something? It seemed to end so abruptly. The boss fight with the Tyrant was so easy that I thought it was a ruse and the real boss fight would be soon.

Otherwise, great game! It was a lot of fun. I enjoyed the environments and the atmosphere a lot. I thought the graphics were pretty good too. Also, to those who used buzzwords/phrases like "nostalgia goggles" and that it's unplayable because it hasn't "aged well", let this be proof of the nonsensical nature of your arguments: I just beat the game yesterday for the first time in my life and loved it!
>>
>>2919159
Sounds like you didn't set off the Self Destruct. You have to do that to get the final boss at the helipad.
>>
>>2919191
Not that person you're replying to, but what happens if you don't set off the Self Destruct?

Story wise, I mean.
>>
>>2919216

I didn't have to fight a boss and I just escaped via helicopter after setting off a flare and the game ended. Where's the self destruct located?
>>
>>2917264
Try RE3, it's more shootan than the first too IIRC.
>>
>>2917734

I enjoy Silent hill, but I would never consider it as mechanically good, or with the same quality of level design as RE. Or combat.
>>
>>2917817
>People like RE2 more because it had 4 different campaigns
Honestly, the four campaigns are not that different outside the changed boss roster between the A and B scenarios.
>>
>>2917487
>REmake it a lot moodier, has the sub weapons, body burning and crimson heads, on top of the best puzzles of the entirety of videogames

Does it add new puzzles? I haven't played it, but I beat the original on PS1.
>>
>>2917264

>I prefer RE4

Nothing wrong with that! I'm with you, but I do love the games that precede it very much (The core games, mind you. Gun Survivor and all that can fuck off)
>>2919227
also this
>>
>>2918409
>nostalgiafags

Will you people stop with this? It's extremely stupid. If you want to use this ridiculous argument on /v/, then whatever. But don't go around saying things like this on /vr/, the retro games board.

These games are all over 16 years old! Plus, there are many people who are constantly playing old games for the first time and enjoying them immensely without having "nostalgia" for them. Myself included!
>>
>>2919689

They did, in fact, add more puzzles. They also happen to be a lot more annoying as well.
>>
>>2919697

What else did they add? My friend told me they added a new outdoor section, but I don't think he realized that there's an outdoor section in the original game which he pretends he's an expert on.
>>
File: i keep it real.png (289KB, 500x382px) Image search: [Google]
i keep it real.png
289KB, 500x382px
>>2917248

>You will never know why they combined three different guns and two different faces to create this image.
>>
>>2919159
You didn't save either Barry or Rebecca.
>>
>>2917295
>RE4 is the same tank controls only with freer aiming and the camera is behind the characters back.
Which makes it radically different.

>It's not tank controls most had a problem with. It was just the fixed camera angles in combination with the tank controls.
It's not a good combination to be honest desu

>>2917376
The body burning and crimson heads was fun though, it added an element of urgency to the game.
>>
>>2919707
>rear of the gun is an M16A1
>front of it is a Remington 870
>the middle doesn't look like anything
They should have gone with one or the other, even if there's no M16 in the game (though it'd be rad to pop zombies with .223)

As for the face, the story I heard is that the artist was told "make him look like Sylvester Stallone but in a way so that he can't sue us" and I have no idea if that's true or not.
>>
>>2920026
>not saving the best characters in the series
How do you even do that
>>
>>2922165

Once upon a time when /vr/ was still filled with interesting threads, someone made an image that showed the origins of the various images they compiled to make the box art.

In the same thread, in which we discussed the various oddities of the graphic, it was also mentioned how strange it is that they decided to showcase the spiders which are not at all a particularly major part of the game.
>>
>>2922172

Very easily, actually; the method to saving them isn't made very clear.
>>
>>2922154

>has played so little vidya that he doesn't even understand why tank controls are necessary when the camera is fixed

jesus
>>
>>2922203
I did it on my first try with each.
Also it was more of a rhetorical question. With Barry, I knew that he's a good guy, so I figured something was up with how he was acting, and for Rebecca, I went to save her when I heard screaming.

>>2922207
I know why they're there you big palooka, I just think there are way better ways to control a character from a fixed perspective.

If there's any part of the old games that have aged poorly, it's really just the controls, they worked for their time but I'm glad they're a thing of the past.
>>
>>2922207
I like how people is so retarded to understand that
UP: move character forward
RIGHT: turn character right
LEFT: turn character left
BACK: move character backward

SIMPLE

In every situation the controls have the same meaning, you can't move your character in a different direction tricked by the camera angle. I think this bullshit happens in MGS2 and it didn't have tank controls, but some areas have some sort of static cameras and you end up making some crazy movements if you want to change direction. So this was the smartest choice of control scheme, if people don't understand that, it's because they are not only videogame illiterate, but also not very smart.
>>
>>2918674
You know I had totally forgotten about Birkin#4, which is the 2nd form of the last boss of the A scenarios. That one is actually good.

Also have you every tried killing the Alligator by NOT blowing him up? He's actually one of the hardest boss in the game if not the hardest. I wonder if the "blow him up in one shot" thing was their rushed way to balance him out?
>>
>>2923119
>I like how people is so retarded

But is you?
>>
>>2923119
Nobody thinks they're hard to understand. The complaint is that the steering feels clunky, stiff and awkward.
>>
>>2923119
>I think this bullshit happens in MGS2 and it didn't have tank controls, but some areas have some sort of static cameras and you end up making some crazy movements if you want to change direction.
I see people defending tank controls say this as if it's an inevitable problem but I never have that being an issue at all.
>>
>>2923119

Also, there was no other way to have full 360 degree movement without an analog stick. There's no arguing that.
>>
>>2923368

>calling someone out for a typo

I think it's safe to say that the guy you quoted won the argument since you have nothing else to say.
>>
>>2923445
>The complaint is that the steering feels clunky, stiff and awkward.

When you rely on buzzwords and cliched phrases, you should learn to better craft arguments before attempting to partake in a discussion.

Go back to /v/, where's it acceptable to call everything "clunky" as if it's a compelling, original argument.

I went to law school and majored in rhetoric.
>>
>>2923657
>When you rely on buzzwords and cliched phrases, you should learn to better craft arguments before attempting to partake in a discussion.
What does that even mean? Because it's common parlance it means it carries no weight? Should I break out the thesaurus for you?
It is clunky and slow because it feels like driving a forklift, not like moving a person, a person just doesn't fucking move like this, especially not under a life threatening emergency.
A real person can move while turning without it taking multiple seconds.

>inb4 >realism
People in this thread argue that the way the analog stick moves you around is unrealistic in terms of animation, and from an animation standpoint, yeah, sure, it's sloppy in that sense, but in terms of movement in a 3D space it effectively works like how a real person would turn and run from a monster, turning rapidly in one swift motion while moving your feet at the same time.

>Go back to /v/, where's it acceptable to call everything "clunky" as if it's a compelling, original argument.
Yes, because "go back to /v/" is a compelling and highbrow way to make arguments, you faggot.

>I went to law school and majored in rhetoric.
1. It doesn't show from your post
2. Big fat whoop
3. Why does this matter?

You're basically saying "fuck you, I'm educated!" which has to be about the most lackluster argument anyone has ever presented to me, if you're so educated, then you should fucking show it to me by your argument alone, rather than basically bragging and appealing to your own (supposed) authority.
>>
What are the best versions of Resident Evil 1 (classic), 2 and 3?
>>
>>2925702
RE: Director's Cut with the non-shitty soundtrack on PlayStation, and RE2 and 3 on Dreamcast.
>>
The design and horror elements are still fun, as well as is killing zombies. The terrible controls create a sense of urgency to aim and control your weapon.

Boss battles, however, blow ass. They're all about running into corners and spamming.
>>
>>2925702
RE1 doesn't have a best version. They all have their pros&cons.

For 2 and 3, either PC, Dreamcast or Gamecube is fine. If you care about unlocking and playing a Hard mode for RE2 (a really good one), the GC version doesn't have it.
>>
>>2925729
It's worth mentioning that if you want to play RE2 or 3, it really doesn't matter that whole much, you can go with the regular ps1 version emulated, you are not missing out on anything. Inb4 that shitty chart.

In fact, ps1 RE2 on a real console and CRT beats anything emulated / PC just because visally it looks gorgeous.
>>
>>2925702
The PlayStation versions on the original console and an actual CRT TV.

RE1 had like three releases on PS1. Director's Cut adds an arranged campaign with new costumes and different item/enemy placement, but I mostly stick with the original campaign anyway. Avoid the Dual Shock version with the shitty soundtrack if you can.

RE2 had two versions: the original and Dual Shock. Dual Shock versions adds a new game mode (Extreme Battle), but I never liked how they forced a timer on the top of the Hunk/Tofu minigame, which you can't remove.

RE3 only has one release on PS.
>>
File: re3jILL.png (340KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
re3jILL.png
340KB, 1280x1024px
>>2925846
You're kidding. Just for the fact that there is no split-second loading times during camera angle changes, the later versions are superior, and that's without mentionning every thing else.

The PS1 version just doesn't look as good as this, even emulated.
>>
>>2925880
It's literally 1/10th of a second that it takes to load in a different background. If that is something that you mind, you are totally autismal.

I would take that on a proper CRT over shitty PC or emulated with blocky backgrounds.
>>
>>2925887
>It's literally 1/10th of a second that it takes to load in a different background. If that is something that you mind, you are totally autismal.

It's more like 1 second between each camera angle, and there are a lot of camera angles.
It makes gameplay a LOT smoother.

>blocky backgrounds.

The PC/GC/DC versions have higher resolution backgrounds.

See the Dino Crisis poster on this screenshot? >>2918285
You wouldn't be able to see/read it on PS1.

Besides you can't seriously recommend the PS1 version if you don't know where the person is from, if we're talking PAL territory here, stay the fuck away from the PS1 versions.
>>
>>2925894
Son you are delusional. Image in the post that you linked looks like fucking shit, it would look ten times more sharp on a tube TV.

>higher resolution backgrounds

Wow, 360 compared to 240p. It sure looks great!
Also you clearly don't know how long 1 second is.

Honestly you should try not to post on this board anymore. I've seen you dumping a lot of snapshots like DC1 and Parasite Eve, and you play everything emulated. Clearly you have no idea what you are doing.
>>
>>2925894
>It's more like 1 second between each camera angle, and there are a lot of camera angles.

I think your console is busted or your laser is dying. It's barely noticable, and I mean barely.
>>
>>2925921
It certainly is closer to 1 second than to 1/10th of a second.

And yeah right, given the choice I should totally be playing the 50hz version of Parasite Eve 2 available where I live rather than the 60hz version; as well as, you know, the inexistant version of Parasite Eve 1.

If by DC1 you mean Dino Crisis, I haven't played that masterpiece in a while and any screenshot I have posted of that isn't my own, but would I replay it, i'd be playing the Dreamcast or PC version for sure as well, and not the inferior PS1 version.

Adding a shit-layer on top of the image (read= scanlines) doesn't magically turn the game to high resolution. Besides, if the person who asked really wants scanlines, he can use the the GC and DC versions of 2 and 3, which I did recommend.

For RE1 personally, I'd recommend the Saturn version, but like I said there is really no superior version.
>>
>>2925939
>For RE1 personally, I'd recommend the Saturn version

Can you BE more special snowflake?
Also PC version of Dino Crisis is terrible, just as terrible as PS1 compared to DC.
>>
>>2925946
The Saturn version has better looking backgrounds. The 3D models are blockier though but they have a certain charm that way imo.
It also has my favourite (exclusive) costumes, and the Battle Mode which is super fun and started the trend of battle mini games in the franchise.

There is nothing wrong with the PC version of Dino Crisis besides the fact that the Dreamcast version looks even better, the shading looks amazing in that one.
>>
>>2919225 Beat the game without letting your companion die and somebody should activate the self destruct system immediately after Tyrant 1 battle.
>>
>>2925946
>>2925993
Saturn version is novel, but it's on the Saturn, so that kind of sucks. It's really only worth the effort if you're an RE junky and want to see the tunnel hunters replaced with flea hunters, the golden Tyrant, Wesker Zombie, and proto-Mercenaries.
>>
File: barry.jpg (26KB, 640x512px) Image search: [Google]
barry.jpg
26KB, 640x512px
>>2922172
Cannot remember how Barry dies, but Rebecca almost gets beheaded from a hunter and you gotta save her.
>>
>>2919216
You escape in the chopper, the mansion doesn't blow up, and you see the Tyrant's shadow in the woods.
>>
>>2926059
Barry has a couple of methods that have to do with "trust". As I recall, after Yawn 2, if you don't wait for Barry to return with the rope, he'll get killed in the safe room after Tyrant 1. He can also be killed if you say you don't trust him in the tunnels and have him run off on his own.
>>
>>2926072
>As I recall, after Yawn 2, if you don't wait for Barry to return with the rope, he'll get killed in the safe room after Tyrant 1.

That's like the one thing that I required a walkthrough for when I was first playing the game. I would have never guessed that waiting when a NPC tells you to would actually do something, I thought it was another one of those "let's seperate again" lines.
>>
>>2926106
It was pretty clever though.

Not a lot of games did that. They still don't.
>>
>>2926203
I never liked how REmake made the Barry trusting dilemma way too obvious. MGSfags bitch about TTS all the time and Snake going all Matrix in the cutscene, but REmake has as many character derailing moments for me.
>>
>>2917785
NESfag plz go

RE1 is incredibly dated in comparison to RE2.
>>
>>2923119
I'm convinced these people have something mentally wrong with them. Not saying they are autistic or anything like that. I'm just saying their brains seem to literally be incapable of grasping such a simple concept. It may be easy for you and I but for these people that can't grasp this I am guessing that for them it must be like an eye trick illusion or something. No matter what, these illusionary tricks will cause a strange hallucination for us because of how our brains work.

So basically it's the same for these people that can't grasp the tank/fixed RE games. Could also be that they are too stupid though.
>>
>>2923718
>It is clunky and slow because it feels like driving a forklift, not like moving a person, a person just doesn't fucking move like this, especially not under a life threatening emergency.

This is a game stupid. Why do you refuse to apply this same logic for the millions of other games out there? Do people jump as high as Master Chief? Why do the Pokemon kids only move up, right, left and down? Why does Mario grow big from a mushroom? Why does Mario have all these new moves in SM64 that he doesn't in the 2D games?

Why not just admit you are too crap to handle a game with tank controls? Because that is the only real explanation here. Sure what you said is true. Problem is the game was INTENDED to be that way. You aren't supposed to be able to breeze through the game like it's an action shooter. The game is a survival horror game. Those mechanics are meant to limit you the player so that you use your brain for planning out the situations better rather then twitch button press your way to win. Planning out is a big part of these games.

God people are just so fucking stupid when it comes to these games. They just don't truly understand how well crafted the games were. No damn appreciation whatsoever. Everything these games was masterfully designed with careful consideration to how things must work. Only ignorant fools like you don't seem to get why the pc must control in this way.
>>
>>2926782
>Using dated as an argument.
Yeah, fuck off.
>>
File: m1tankplatoon2.jpg (66KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
m1tankplatoon2.jpg
66KB, 640x480px
I've been playing through this series from the very beginning, and have largely really enjoyed my time with it. The games are exceptionally well designed for their limitations, and are certainly milestones in the medium.

The tank controls still frustrate me a little bit. I've had a few games to get used to them now, and you get a decent feel for navigating through the game world using them. Avoiding enemies is always a challenge, and is one of the things that the games are designed around -- it's simply supposed to be a bit of a risk to try and juke through a series of enemies in a corridor. Combat is slow paced and very deliberate. The choice of using ammo on a foe is not an action element -- its one of future planning. You are trying to decide whether its worth the weaponry to make a particular corridor or room safe to navigate by spending the ammo to kill enemies in it. There are occasionally bosses that show up to add tension, but they aren't really the focus of the gameplay at all and work more for pacing.

If the games were to have better controls for moving through the spaces, then perhaps they would hold up better for modern audiences. But in order to have the same sense of threat to the player, then the enemies would have to be made faster or more mobile. It would be pushed into a more action driven direction, and lose the sense of dread and tactical judgement.

There's also the point about the controls working with the fixed camera to provide consistency of motion, but honestly dmc and sh3 did just fine with that sort of thing (you keep moving in the direction you were holding though the camera angle changes) and its never ever been an issue for me.

I don't LIKE using tank controls. I think they were a pretty awkward and terrible way to control 3D games until better movement methods were invented, but the early RE titles are designed so well around this limited input mode that I will gladly make an exception and enjoy the games for what they are.
>>
>>2917734
>Silent Hill
>RE clone
>Namefag
Wew lad
>>
Used to love RE2 and RE3. I live in 3'rd world country.
RE2 I had to rent from a videoshop with PS1 and only got to play 24h at once then return it. Had money only to rent it few times. Videoshop was in a nother town and know one was willing to drive me etc.
When I finally got my own PS and RE3 it was heaven. But I didn't have a memorycard. Played until killed then played again. Took like 4-5 h to get to place I was before, few steps more and dead again. Never beat it though. Quess I should play them know.
Thanks for the nostalgia. PsX any good for playing RE 2 and 3?
>>
>>2927086
Also excuse my shitty english. Grammar is hard. In my language we write like we hear.
>>
RE1: Depends on you if you want some quality B-movie game then the Director Cut on Playstation
RE2: DC or the 2006 Japanese PC port
RE3: DC
CV: DC or the HD port up to you
GC ports are ports of the Playstation version and only do 480i if that triggers your autism.
>>
File: re3jpeg.png (437KB, 1335x1001px) Image search: [Google]
re3jpeg.png
437KB, 1335x1001px
>>2927097

I wouldn't mind playing the DC version of RE3, but the version I found has horrific JPEG artifacts on all the backgrounds.

I decided to play the GC version via dolphin instead.
>>
File: GLEE08-1.png (1MB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
GLEE08-1.png
1MB, 1440x1080px
>>2927110

This is the same screen in Dolphin, for comparison.
>>
File: residentevil1_dogs.jpg (15KB, 335x273px) Image search: [Google]
residentevil1_dogs.jpg
15KB, 335x273px
Just finished replaying RE1.
Love the badly acted dialogue.
I still jumped out of my seat when the zombie runs out of the closet on 1st floor mansion.
pic unrelated...I knew those dogs were coming.
>>
>>2927040
>implying silent hill wasnt made as a direct response to RE's success by an arcade company that always competed with another arcade company
>>
>>2917487
>and the fact that if you bring too much ammo with you into the lab, the lickers are the tougher, black variety, rather than normal red ones.

Doesn't that happen only in "B" scenario if you release that gas that mutates them in "A" ?
>>
>>2927717
I never thought of Konami as Capcom's rival other than the fact that they both supported the NES early on. They specialized on different genres back in the day.
>>
>>2927772
I thought they'd ALWAYS appear tougher in the lab no matter what?! could be he's right and i just always have tons of ammo though.

>>2927110
Goddamn! I didn't remember it looking that bad, could that be an emulator issue though? And I don't mean "it's an emulator issue because CRT hides the ugliness with its curved screen and scanlines" (just saying as this seems to be a common train of thought on this board), I do mean could it only be like that due to the emulator?

if not, one more point towards the PC version then.

BTW this is why making comparison chart listing all the features of each version isn't a fully accurate way to judge which is the best. There will always be things like that, or the loading times length, that you can't really put into the chart.

>>2926773
Honestly I thought REmake was pretty spot on. IMO REmake and 3 are the only RE games where they don't fuck up returning characters. Every other, be it 4,5,0, CV, etc have the returning character act so differently they might as well be new characters.
The problem is, you get Capcom telling the devs to use returning characters as fanservice, but you have different directors each time who all want to do THEIR thing. This is part of why I tend to call sequels-not-made-by-the-original-devs "official fanfictions".
>>
File: RE1_Chris_Art.png (148KB, 267x558px) Image search: [Google]
RE1_Chris_Art.png
148KB, 267x558px
>>2927868
>The problem is, you get Capcom telling the devs to use returning characters as fanservice, but you have different directors each time who all want to do THEIR thing. This is part of why I tend to call sequels-not-made-by-the-original-devs "official fanfictions".
I always got the impression that the writers of RE6 wanted to kill off Chris and promote Piers as the new protagonist, but some higher up at Capcom didn't have the balls to kill off a recurring protagonist. Even Piers' hair style is the same one Chris had in the pre-REmake games in the series.
>>
>>2917487
>RECV is full 3D with MOVING cameras (WOW!), weapons you can aim in 2 directions at once, and what I see as the highest difficulty level of all classic REs.

Dude the knife is so OP in that game, really ruins it for me, it's barely a survival horror unless you do a no knife run.
>>
>>2917785
>NESfag talks shit once again

Colour me surprised.
>>
>>2927115
the fuck is a dolphin
>>
>>2927868
>Goddamn! I didn't remember it looking that bad, could that be an emulator issue though? And I don't mean "it's an emulator issue because CRT hides the ugliness with its curved screen and scanlines" (just saying as this seems to be a common train of thought on this board), I do mean could it only be like that due to the emulator?

Pretty much. It's being played at a resolution much higher than was ever intended. It would like fine at 1x, 2x, maybe even up to 4x. The models clash too much with the backgrounds at that high of a resolution and the artifacts become far too apparent.
>>
Can someone post some screenshots of the Gamecube version of RE2? Maybe some comparison shots? Just curious as to how it looks. I didn't even know it existed until I saw it at a video game store a few months ago.
>>
>>2928871

You know what? Ignore this post; I kind of missed what was going on and it's irrelevant.
>>
>>2927868
>Goddamn! I didn't remember it looking that bad, could that be an emulator issue though? And I don't mean "it's an emulator issue because CRT hides the ugliness with its curved screen and scanlines" (just saying as this seems to be a common train of thought on this board), I do mean could it only be like that due to the emulator?

I was actually curious about that, and wondered if it was my rip of the game or just how the release was. I feel like the sources of most dreamcast isos are highly dubious, I remember many many games with content cut to fit on regular CDs for piracy back when I owned the console. One could imagine that encoding the backgrounds into a more lossy format might be used to get everything to fit.

However, I also found some lets plays on youtube, one recorded off of real dreamcast hardware through a VGA box. While the brightness was set a bit darker, I noticed many of the same issues with blocking and lossy compression in the backgrounds.

What I suspect is that with the different color curve of CRTs (darker blacks and brighter lit phosphors), as well as the blur from cables, the jpeg compression would just not have been as noticable, and would have been a reasonable tradeoff for making a 4x increase in background size fit in the 25% more space of the GD-ROM. With modern monitors and the clarity of emulators, the lossy compression becomes quite apparent.

I'd be interested in some PS1 and PC screenshots showing the same background, if anyone has them.
>>
>>2928837
Dolphin = GameCube emulator.
>>
>>2929236
Usually the ripped scene releases would include an nfo saying what they ripped. But you don't need those when you can just get the complete copy of the GD-Rom.
>>
File: RE3originalPC.png (428KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
RE3originalPC.png
428KB, 1280x1024px
>>2929236
>>2927115
>>2927110
Original PC release
>>
File: RE3sourcenextpng.png (1MB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
RE3sourcenextpng.png
1MB, 1280x1024px
>>2930469
Sourcenext release. Not much difference really as far as the backgrounds are concerned. Looks like there is some kind of filter applied to it to make it appear less pixelated? I'm not sure.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 2448x2317px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 2448x2317px
I fucking love this version of Resi1. It's perfect to me. It's fast, clean and controls great. If you Resi fans haven't played it I recommend you should. It's fun, simple as that.
>>
>>2917295
The only game I can tolerate the controls in is RE6. I never understood why I was incapable of moving while aiming my gun while being chased by a herd of zombies.
>>
>>2930519
You could move and shoot in the Revelations games too. Even on the 3DS.

I actually prefer the stand and shoot controls of 4/5 and play Revelations the same way.

Different strokes for different folks. Nice there is an option.
>>
>>2930504
I like how you can skip the door opening animations.
>>
>>2930523
>You could move and shoot in the Revelations games too. Even on the 3DS.
Revelations came out on the 3DS at the same time as RE6 though.
>>
>>2930530
>Revelations came out on the 3DS at the same time as RE6 though.
Right. I was mainly replaying to this comment.
>The only game I can tolerate the controls in is RE6
You need a N3DS or a CPP to use the controls.
Still nice they added the controls when not everyone was able to use them.
>>
>>2930504
This version is great but it's so different, even in classic mode, that it's hard to recommend it to someone who wants to experience the original RE1 for the first time.
Every 3D model is new, remade from scratch.
Zombies have a new AI, they are smarter, harder to dodge.
You can do a 180° backflip like in RE3 onwards and you can use the knife at all times with a shoulder button, without it taking place in the inventory, like in RE4.

The new "DS" mode is a MESS though. It's always nice to be able to play the game with different item and enemy placement (including key items), like in Director's Cut, but they fucked up everything else. Most puzzles were replaced by touchscreen shit which are on the level of babies' "educational" games (I wish I was exaggerating).
Then there is the forced and the new forced first person "knife fight" which suck on every level:
- goes beyond the basic concept of survival horror itself as you are forced to fight; and also because enemies drop ammo in those fights
- why must I be forced to fight with the knife? I have 100 Beretta bullets in my inventory.
- gameplay is terrible. Spam in diagonal to win ANY enemy. Can't even get hit that way.
- kills the pace and mood of the game, especially with the upbeat music

I never played the new multiplayer battle co-op mode because none of my friends care about RE though, so I don't know how that holds up. Only thing I know is that your partern model is portrayed as a goddamn star on your screen which sounds really bad.

Great version indeed but stick to classic mode.

I like how you can easily mod this version swap character models around though, I mean, you can do that on the PC version as well, but here it's even easier, works better, and you can use any character from both STARS team because they are all available in the new battle mode.

>>2930529
You can do that on PC too. What's new here is that it's the only version in which you can skip cutscenes as well.
>>
>>2930576
>This version is great but it's so different, even in classic mode, that it's hard to recommend it to someone who wants to experience the original RE1 for the first time.
I honestly couldn't give a shit.
I'm recommending the game because its fun.
The new "DS" mode is also fun and worth a play through.

>I never played the new multiplayer battle co-op mode because none of my friends care about RE
Shame its also alot of fun.
>>
>>2930469
>>2930476

Thanks. It looks like there's a minor difference with the aspect ratio, but otherwise its the same between the GC and PC versions. I think the choice to play through on dolphin is still the right one, as there are a lot of nice things about the scaling, controller vibration support, pixel shader filters, etc.
>>
>>2931387
I think in that screenshot of the GC version, the colours aren't as lively, and it's a little blurry too.
>>
>>2930576
Meh, if I were into speed runs, I'd recommend the DS version, because scenes and door animations can be skipped. And I've seen (admittedly tool assisted) runs on Youtube that took only 31 mins.

Other than that, I have to agree with you entirely. It's just NOT RE1. However, for new players, it may actually be the best place to start, because it's genuinely easier than the original.
>>
>>2927115
>>2927110

high five dude
recently put a SD loader on my cube so I'm playing all the resident evil games on that. I'm having fun
>>
>>2917248
2 and 3 are better on the Dreamcast, so the Playstation versions pretty much stopped 'holding up' a long time ago. Playstation version of 1 may still the way to go, unless the Saturn version does anything special.
>>
>>2927110
>but the version I found has horrific JPEG artifacts on all the backgrounds.
Is it a compressed ISO or a legit game?
Some Dreamcast ripping grooups take shit out and compress game assets to make them fit on 700 meg discs and playing those ain't fun.
>>
>>2917308
Isn't this the same person who always shits up RE threads begging for Patreon donations?

What a loser.
>>
>>2918285
>This thread made me want to replay RE3 for the 1xxth time

I used to have a ritual where I would complete RE3 everyday, because my study breaks were 30 mins each.

Only when I played the PC version did I notice the other Easter eggs.
> the burger king reference
> The delorean in the gas station
> the back to the future picture in the police station and the gas station,
> the picture of of Hugh Grat and Andy Macdowell from 4 weddings and a funeral in the gas station.
> The police Car 102 that Leon and Claire escape from before it got hit by the truck in the cutscence is the same one in the RE3 intro.
> The Bio hazard 4 movie title in the downtown cinema

There are a few others like magazine covers from sports illustrated on the hallway where Brad escapes.

I think the alone in the dark reference is in silent hill 1.

though I wouldn't be surprised if it was in re3
I always see something new with that game.

I only recently found out (after about 15 years) that; during the nemesis encounter in the restaurant, you can escape the flooding basement by going to the end near the body, and on the right of the screenshot is a duct that Carlos give you a leg up on.
>>
>>2937443
>I used to have a ritual where I would complete RE3 everyday, because my study breaks were 30 mins each.

soz forgot to add, so I knew my first break would be over once I got to the clocktower, in my second break I'd finish the game.
>>
>>2937443
>I only recently found out (after about 15 years) that; during the nemesis encounter in the restaurant, you can escape the flooding basement by going to the end near the body, and on the right of the screenshot is a duct that Carlos give you a leg up on.

FUCK, I actually didn't know about that, but during my last playthrough, I was going through the game using the path I took the least, saw that airduct, and wondered if you could use it when flooded. Does that make you escape Nemesis? I mean if you go up the ladder he's right there.
I love that flooding part btw. So much effort was put to make it work even though it's optional.

>the back to the future picture in the police station and the gas station.

Never saw that.

Also in the clocktower, some of the portraits are pictures from some famous american TV show which name's escapes me.

However, while some of those things sure are references, some others I think are there just to give an "american" feel to the game, witout necessarly the intent to make players realize what it's from.

I got this feeling because there are plenty of things in the game, like writings or plates, that are just there to give a feel to the game, and they didn't bother too much with it making sense because they didn't expect the player to be able to read it with the PS1 low resolution.
For instance there is that "CATHOLIC CHURCH" plate which you can see everywhere where it doesn't belong, often around puzzles. Or there is the puzzle with the electrified water near the restaurant, the plates there have mirrored text about dogs or something.

I think it's the same with Silent Hill 1 and all the references to Kindergarten Cop. They just wanted american references and movies are a cheaper and quicker reference bag than travelling and taking pictures by yourself.
>>
File: RE2redrum.png (99KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
RE2redrum.png
99KB, 640x480px
RE2 doesn't have as much details but it has a couple of references too, like REDRUM.
>>
>>2919705
>Dead zombies stay on the ground and eventually turn into "Crimson Heads" that are fast zombies with more HP (Can be avoided by burning corpses, but is limited inventory and fuel)
>New short outdoor sector directly behind the Mansion with a new boss
>Long section that splits from the shed you get the crank in
>Entire arc of the game for Lisa Trevor, including a bunch of new areas and a "boss encounter"
>Some additional areas in the underground section before the lab (Because of the Lisa Trevor stuff mostly)
>Remixed control scheme option that removes tank controls (Only REMake HD)
Its all high quality stuff.
>>
So I bought REMaster awhile ago and enjoyed it (After only playing RE4 before that)

Decided recently to go ahead and play all the PS1 RE games. I already finished RE1, and it was fun as fuck.

I am now playing RE2 and it feels weird. I love it, don't get me wrong, but it seems like so much more emphasis was put on the action. I only just got the Spade key for the Police Department, but there have been so many areas where it felt like I had no choice but to either intentially take damage or gun my way through.

Is it just me or is there a difference? Then theres shit like that area to the right when you first enter the police department that has like 10 zombies at once and no way to dodge past without taking a hit.
>>
File: BROCK.png (3MB, 1594x896px) Image search: [Google]
BROCK.png
3MB, 1594x896px
Mfw I dont leave any items in the Underground for Claire B
>>
>>2917248

the kind of person that asks this wouldn't understand the original appeal anyways
>>
>>2938406
There is definitely some areas in the game where it's like you say, but not that many, like I said it's mostly bosses where the difference is the most obvious and you have to kill them all.

For instance, there is the corridor located: ground floor, in between the main hall and the policemen office east wing. First time you get there there is like 8 zombies, all blocking the paths.
However, if you go out the room and get back in, zombies will be placed differently and easier to dodge.

That area you're talking about in your last line is 100% dodgeable. I never fire a bullet or get hit there, whether I go in through the stairs or through the doors at the other side. I could make a video.

All in all, why being the worse of the trilogy imo, RE2 is still very solid. RE0 is much much worse on every aspect including the one that bothers you.

Then, try to compare RE2 to some RE-clones and you'll understand why RE2 is great.
Take Countdown Vampires for instance, it starts pretty well, but as soon as the game throws something other than the basic vampires at you the game drops the cake. So many instances where the game has several enemies JUMPING at you right as you enter the room with no choice to shoot them AND to get hit, it's awful.

RE2 has stellar enemy placement, not as good as 1 or 3, but still pretty fucking stellar.
>>
File: REstaurant duct RE3.jpg (65KB, 631x470px) Image search: [Google]
REstaurant duct RE3.jpg
65KB, 631x470px
>>2937593
Yeah you escape the air duct and you end up in the down the steps in the T junctions in the back of the restaurant. Though orientation of the exit and and where you end up threw me off a bit at first, the same cut-scene plays through.

It sorta makes me wonder what other things I have missed in other RE games desu.

>back to the future
I found this video, that has the two easter eggs I mentioned.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvhYUzXqiMo

I wish someone could get a pdf version of the offical Biohazard 3 guidebook, there was a 'secret features' on there that runs for 30 pages, it will be interesting to see.

>Silent hill 1

Silent hill has heaps of references to be honest. and some are pretty obscure. That what I love about 90's games. Like Parasite eve and coca cola hahaha.
>>
>>2940230
to add.

Also found out that if you explore the back alley of the Newspaper office downtown you will hear a woman scream, much like the woman who screams when you go exploring the warehouse at night after the RPD, not sure if you find a corpse though.

also
During the hospital elevator scenario with the zombies horde.Usually, you cant close the door once the zombies are in (or kill them all)

if you manage to let all the zombies in, you can close the door, and it wont open again until you kill all the zombies.
>>
I was looking through the catalog when I found this, figured I could add my opinion and my question at the same time.

I think they all hold up great. My first experience was actually RE4 when I was fairly young, I ran into a trip wire and exploded, put the game down for two months. Once I picked it up again, I loved the series...even with the ridiculous shit that goes on in the newer titles. (Giant dinosaur/fly guy...what?)

A few years back however, I bought a PS1 for $20, along with RE1&2. Sure, it took about 15 minutes to get 100% used to tank controls, but I thoroughly enjoyed the challenge of adapting to an older playstyle. I liked that I actually had to survive, rather than kill my way through things, in the first game. Someone said that it's likely that new generation gamers couldn't get the hang of these games, or wouldn't enjoy them, and I fully agree. Most games these days are so formulaic that even different series feel repetitive because other games have done the same things.

Another thing I surprisingly liked was that when I was playing Leon B for the first time, I got underground and had some ammo, but not enough for what I had to go through. I was coming up on a Mr. X encounter, but before that I had to get past some Lickers, and retrieve something(can't remember what) and I ended up in a position where I just couldn't succeed. I haven't beaten Leon B yet actually.

But now, starting today, I'm going to replay RE1, then go the Claire A/Leon B route, not fuck it up, and hopefully have enough to spare by the end of that run to buy Nemesis. Which I plan on following up with the rest of the series.

Which brings me to my question: I have the dualshock version of the DC, and I know that there was a new soundtrack made for that game. If I play the original mode, is it the full original game, with the original soundtrack? Or does only the new soundtrack exist on that version of the DC?
>>
>>2941225
>If I play the original mode, is it the full original game, with the original soundtrack?
No
>Or does only the new soundtrack exist on that version of the DC?
Yes, unfortunately.
>>
>>2941843
I still wonder what the idea behind that Dualshock soundtrack was.

RE1's original soundtrack is actually pretty good and underrated.
>>
>>2941904
The original NTSC-J version of BIO HAZARD on PlayStation had some cheesy J-ROCK songs that were not in any other version of the game (not even the JP Saturn and PC ports). I'm guessing Capcom wanted a reason for players to own all three versions of the first BIO HAZARD in Japan.
>>
>>2917295
The camera being behind the back makes the "tank" controls feel much more intuitive though, which dramatically lessens the learning curve
>>
This is going to sound really odd but I enjoy the PS1 version of the first game over the remake.

the remake is fantastic but I felt like they really dragged out some of the puzzles to lengthen the game.
>>
>>2942691
Is the remake good choice if I missed out first RE on it's time? I do still have working PS2, but i really don't know if I should hunt down original RE for PS1, or remake to PS4?
>>
Was the European PC version of the first one censored like the US one?
>>
File: 1441794649420.png (78KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1441794649420.png
78KB, 1280x1024px
>>2942976
Also, here's RE1 running on pc at 1280x1024
>>
>>2942753
They're pretty different games honestly. I kinda prefer the B-movie vibe of RE1 though. REmake takes itself too seriously.
>>
>>2943057
>240p backdrops mixed with high-resolution character models

absolutely disgusting.
>>
>>2941843
>>2941904
Bummer. When I was initially looking to buy the game, I tried finding the actual original version so I can get the full original experience, but the dualshock version is the most widely available. At least that's the one that won't cost you a lot of money.
The reason I haven't gotten 3 is because I want it with the case and booklet, and useable, and that shit's like $70-$90.
>>
>Tfw I just beat LeonA and am starting Claire B during my first RE2 playthrough.

Is Claire B as hard as people claim? I accidentally took both items from the basement since I was wrongly assuming it was just asking if I wanted to take it.

How different is LeonA/LeonB and vice versa? Like do they each have their own plot and its just remixed item placement or are there new segments? Which ones are cannon
>>
>>2944931

I found Clare B pretty easy. I never really used the submachine gun except at the very end. Overall, RE2 was a fairly easy game on defaults, and I've had much tougher times with RE1 and RE3.
>>
>>2943205
That was obvious, the game wasn't even meant to be played at that resolution. The maximum allowed is 640x480
>>
>>2944931

None of the scenarios are that hard, really. B scenarios might be SLIGHTLY harder because of Mr. X catching you at certain points and because of Lickers showing up sooner(?), but just play smart and it's not an issue.
The main difference from A to B scenarios is that in B, you follow in the A character's footsteps(for instance, you learn how Leon got to where he was in the lab during Claire A). The basic plot points remain, it's just that the path changes a bit.
As far as canon goes, based on RE6, Claire A/Leon B.
>>
Yes, they are God Tier games.
>>
>>2919694
>Gun Survivor and all that can fuck off
I liked Gun Survivor myself, felt much better than most light gun games.
>>
Damn it Leon why you gotta be so useless in Claire's scenario? If you would get your nose out of Ada's crotch for a god damn minute
>>
What is the definitive console version to play for RE3?
>>
File: SAM_0854.jpg (1MB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
SAM_0854.jpg
1MB, 2592x1944px
>>2943341

What one are you looking for? Resident Evil isn't very expensive on the PlayStation. I have Resident Evil Long box (paid around 30) and Directors Cut (bought it for around 20) complete. I bought them both almost 2 years ago, but I just checked price charting and that seems about right.
>>
I like how the manual and the box of Resident Evil try very hard not to spoil the fact that the game is about zombies. At least the EU one I had, but that's probably pretty consistent. They go about controls, the prologue, and such, but the actual content of the game and the enemies are kept a 'secret'.
>>
>>2948458
>Wildstorm's Resident Evil comics.
Are those worth tracking down. I never read beyond the first two issues. I know they went rather crazy with what happens after the events of RE2, since RE3 and RECV weren't out yet.
>>
>>2948775

I think they are pretty cool. The only one I haven't read yet is the last one. (and for some reason it's the issue that is the most expensive.) I bought the lot for 75 dollars at a comic / video game store. I thought it was worth it. It's basically a time capsule of the 90's and RE.
>>
>>2917248
I only played the HD remake that got on PC but i thought Dino Crisis 1 was better than RE1
Thread posts: 182
Thread images: 24

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.