[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vip /vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Home]
4Archive logo
> I don't emulate, I use ORIGINAL hardware
If images are not shown try to refresh the page. If you like this website, please disable any AdBlock software!

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 208
Thread images: 24
> I don't emulate, I use ORIGINAL hardware
> I can tell the difference!!!
>>
>>2914947
>what in input lag
>what is sound slow down / issues
>can it run crysis
>>
File: Bimini Run (U).png (18 KB, 320x224) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
Bimini Run (U).png
18 KB, 320x224
Who fucking cares. I like Bimini Run.
>>
>>2914982
You do realize that the vast differences in speed between that hardware and modern hardware renders such input lag virtually non-existent on modern computers while emulating?

Like, there's LESS input lag and modern emulators like Higan add input lag to more accurately emulate the weaknesses of the machines the games were made for.

>TL;DR you're wrong and listen to me-me's created by people who think they understand emulation.

>>2914947
I can pick out PS2 emulators, but that's about it. And obviously if they're not configured for accuracy, I'll notice. N64 doesn't have Anti-Aliasing.
>>
File: Smug_Pepe.png (28 KB, 200x200) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
Smug_Pepe.png
28 KB, 200x200
>>2914947
>I emulate
>But I don't use ZSNES, I use BSNES because it's cycle accurate
>>
>>2915067
It's technically possible, but very unlikely unless you're using a CRT.
>>
>>2914947

Listen here, fucknugget. I don't give a SHIT about how you play your LE RETRO fucking games. Maybe you played an NES once when you were 10 because your hipster shit big brother brought one home from the epic flea market before he flipped it to buy a new scarf after watching an episode of Pawn Stars and now you think it is cool to like old shit because JonTron told you to do it, but you'll NEVER be accepted among those who actually played this shit YEARS ago and aren't fad-following YouTube kiddies just waiting for your next big find because let's face it, the seond you get your OMG LITTLE HAMPTON you'll be taking fucking pictures of your EPIC HAUL to plaster all over your Facebook group because you are so desperate to fit in. Your Alienware machine running ZSNES with that awful fucking smoothing filter doesn't have shit on anything, got that? Maybe it will hold you over, but don't pretend like you aren't desperate for the real deal so you can start your fucking YouTube collecting channel like Pete fucking Dorr.

I just don't fucking care.
>>
Oh look, /vr/ is still killing itself.

Thanks /v/.
>>
>>2915108
You sound just as dumb as OP.
>>
Emulation past the 16 bit era is still pretty choppy.

It's evolved by leaps and bounds - don't get me wrong. I've been able to make disk images of all my Sega CD, Saturn, PS1 and PS2 games because of how far emulation has come... but it's still not 1:1.
>>
Emushits are like vegans.

They put arbitrary limitations on themselves and can't shut the fuck up over how superior they are to everyone else.
>>
Reminder if you didn't play on original hardware you didn't really beat the game.
>>
A flashcart and a console is like $200 or less per console.

That's years of entertainment, if this is your main hobby this is really cheap, any other hobby costs hundreds of dollars a week.

I mean emulation is cool but the original hardware will always be a little better, even if it's just by a hair. Besides, playing with the original hardware reminds me of the good old days....
>>
>>2915173
That doesn't make any sense. Emufags just play on emulators because it's free and convenient. If you want to talk about a group that puts arbitrary limitations, lets look at the people who refuse to play anything except the legit game on the original console. No emulators, no flashcarts, nothing.
>>
>>2915127
how do you think pasta is made? we don't randomly capitalize words for nothing
>>
>>2915206
only the most autistic of autists
>>
>>2915202
I kind of want to horde all the CRT's that get posted for free on Craigslist so I can play my light gun games until I die.
>>
I play both original hardware and emulation.

People who insult emulatorfags are people that want to justify their spending habits.

People who insult collectorfags are jelly as fuck poorfags who are mad they have no other option but to emulate.

Collectorfags can emulate if they wanted.

Poorfags can't play real hardware if they don't own it.
>>
>>2915219
I just want to finally get my hands on a decent-sized PVM instead of using old-and-busted CRTs
>>
>>2915227
I kinda like old and busted CRT's.

I wanna get one of those ones in a wood enclosure like my grandma used to have because I think it would be cozy as heck.

Just sucks because it's not something I can get on my own, and i hate asking my friends and family for favors.
>>
>>2915206
Those people are just faggots.

And I'm a collector with over a thousand carts.

But yes, someone made a thread about what's the perfect setup to get the best NES/Famicom experience either an RGB modded NES-101 or or RGB modded AV Famicom and you had a dozen people chime in about how "who cares, just emulate, faggit!".
>>
>>2915225
>People who insult emulatorfags are people that want to justify their spending habits.

Flashcarts aren't expensive, that's not really a good point.
>>
>>2915280
Extremists are always the shitposters.

I have a physical collection but I'm not opposed to emulating if it's outside my comfortable price range. I also own a few bootleg MVS carts because it's the same game at like 20 bucks vs. 150+
>>
File: emulation.jpg (313 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
emulation.jpg
313 KB, 1366x768
Why bother setting up hardware when this is sooo convenient.
>>
It's not just a meme and I'm not trying to be funny but the majority of people on 4chan are NEETs, poor college students or underage and dependent on their parents to buy things for them (imagine convincing your mom to buy a cart with an SD slot to play games twice your age)...

75% of people here have no other choice, so just like that kid whose parents already bought them a TurboGrfx 16 and won't buy them another console... as a mental defense mechanism they have to defend emulation.

If emulators were only available at stores for like 50 bucks and couldn't pirate it, I bet there would be far fewer people who defend it.
>>
>>2915302
> setting up hardware
> plugging it in and pressing the power button
>>
>tfw the golden age of /vr/ is slowly coming to an end
>tfw /v/ is leaking and there's nothing we can do about it
>>
>>2915317
I can give you some leaking if you know what I mean :3
>>
File: 1452362391959.jpg (24 KB, 570x574) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1452362391959.jpg
24 KB, 570x574
>>2915108
>>
>>2915206
This. I dont get the fighting. Emulation is fine and so is collecting.
>>
>>2914947
Great thread bro.

> I do emulate on my shitty toaster.
> I'm too stupid to notice the difference.
>>
For most things I can't tell the difference between the emulation and the original, but for games like Mario I cannot play them for SHIT on emulators, really bad at them. I couldn't believe it because I was good at these as a kid.

Then I got a flashcart and played on my actual SNES and I had no problems. Until this point though I had no idea why, so no elitism from me.
>>
>>2915236
This. I fished an old and I mean older than my old ass old wood console TV out of some old lady's garbage. It was a 1974 zenith. I found a local repair guy and he basically made it new again for $150. I touched up the nicks and dents and now have a like new 1974 zenith just for playing NES on. My wife and kids thought I was insane. The first few weeks I watched cartoons on it in my pajamas while laying on my stomach eating cereal, just to freak them out.
>>
>>2915187
Based bootsy is no longer based in my book.
This logic is retarded. Unless he's specifically talking about save state abuse.
>>
>>2916076
That kind of dumb opinion is actually fairly common, it's not quite as bad as "glitches are cheating" people, but its pretty fucking annoying.
>>
File: Zell_Dincht.jpg (176 KB, 640x448) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
Zell_Dincht.jpg
176 KB, 640x448
>>2915108
Appropriate response to these threads.
>>
>>2916076
It's actually significantly harder emulated on a modern computer monitor.

The Clinger Winger, Volkire's Inferno and Rat Race sections need those precious 3/4 of a second faster response you get on a CRT.
>>
>>2915108
Why is everyone here convinced that normies and hipsters are invading their hobby? I'm the only person I know who buys or even plays retro games. Being enough of a gamer that you're interested in more than the latest open world game or iPhone game is already pretty weird, being interested in 6th gen games or earlier means you're getting into the higher levels of autism.

Retro gaming and collecting isn't very popular, and a couple YouTube videos don't change that.
>>
>>2916117
How are glitches not cheating? Its outside of the developers intent for the games difficulty.
>>
>>2915282
I assume most people who emulate because of cost reasons would just play on a PC because it's free.

Even buying a console and flashcart is cheaper than building even a small collection of games.
>>
>>2916180
More than half of the shit people even call glitches are just abuses of perfectly functional game mechanics. Creating an arbitrary distinction between what the game considers fair and what you consider fair is going full autism.
>>
>>2916180
There's different kind of glitches.

Some "glitches" are akin to someone developing a new throwing technique in Baseball.

Other glitches are like using steroids.
>Honestly cheating a misnomer when it comes to Video Games when you play for enjoyment
>Not a misnomer in multiplayer though.
>>
>>2915108
>trying this hard to create pasta
>>
File: superslide.gif (2 MB, 320x240) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
superslide.gif
2 MB, 320x240
>>2916180
The code allows for it to happen, full stop. That's the distinction. You can infer whatever you want in terms of developer's intent, but the code allows it to happen.
>>
>>2916645
A lot of multiplayer games wouldn't be nearly as fun or popular without the glitches. See Melee or MvC2. It's not cheating if both players have the glith available to them.

eSports teams finding glitches before tournaments and not making them public is pretty sketchy though.
>>
>thread about retro game stores gets deleted
>this thread is still here

I don't really have a problem with this thread being here, but the fuck? Do the janny-poos really just unquestioningly delete what gets reported the most? It was legitimate discussion of stores that sell actual old games.
>>
>>2917049
The janitor is a faggot who's probably a reseller who doesn't like people talking about game prices
>>
>>2916117
The games can be clearly different. The harder the game, the more critical the difference is. How is that dumb?

At least have a cycle accurate emulator, then there can be an argument.
>>
>>2917060
The other thread about game pricing in general is still up. Maybe he's a shopkeep who didn't like people complaining about his business model?
>>
>>2916697
>eSports teams finding glitches before tournaments and not making them public is pretty sketchy though.
Literally black hat hacking.
>>
>>2916697
>eSports teams finding glitches before tournaments and not making them public is pretty sketchy though.

The sporting thing is to try to make the most of every advantage. A competition is about trying to win, not hold hands. If it wrecks the game that's the game developer's fault, not the people who were able to exploit it. Why would they say "hey guys, we found this, we thought we'd let you in on it", it's not a girls' tea party.
>>
>>2914947
Good for you. Most kids your age don't. Oh wait you're being an ironic shitposter.
>>
>>2917107
Yes and no. I assume that certain things can be banned if they are deemed to be game breaking, especially if they are glitches unintended by the game developers.

But whatever. esports are bullshit, just like regular sports.
>>
File: 1452020003418.jpg (67 KB, 778x661) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1452020003418.jpg
67 KB, 778x661
>>2915070
>He uses ZSNES
>Never even touches Netplay
>>
File: you.jpg (198 KB, 3000x1688) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
you.jpg
198 KB, 3000x1688
>>2917123
>But whatever. esports are bullshit, just like regular sports.
>>
>>2916180
In all of the games I know how to glitch in, performing the glitches themselves is a degree of magnitude harder than anything in the game itself.

Performing the glitches so that they offer a legitimate advantage is even harder than that.

If I've gitten so gud that my levels of gitgud transcend what the code is even capable of comprehending, then I damn well deserve to use glitches.
>>
File: ok.gif (932 KB, 300x250) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
ok.gif
932 KB, 300x250
>>2915108
>>2915658
>>
File: 1452711938943.jpg (5 KB, 140x124) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1452711938943.jpg
5 KB, 140x124
>>2915108
ebin
>>
>>2917305
Well, I usually just use glitches for fun in games I've beaten numerous times.

Duping excaliburs or a bloodsword is just fun in FFT.
>>
>>2917049
>Do the janny-poos really just unquestioningly delete what gets reported the most?
This is how most low traffic boards on 4chan are handled, since they are busy dealing with the high traffic boards.
>>
>>2915067
this is untrue. higan doesn't add any input lag. you don't know what you're talking about
>>
>>2917553

And here the carefully-crafted illusion that 4chan is run by anything other than dysfunctional fuckheads falls completely apart...
>>
>>2917764
The input lag is added by the slower clock cycle. It's not a literal addition, I just really didn't want to have to explain thw intricacies around that.

I was just trying to drive home the concept that worrying about input lag on modern emulators on good machines was complete bulllshit.
>>
>>2917553
>since they are busy dealing with the high traffic boards
Yeah, that's why half of /v/ is off-topic threads.
>>
>>2917769
>And here the carefully-crafted illusion that 4chan is run by anything other than dysfunctional fuckheads falls completely apart...
Holy shit do newfags actually believe that there's someone competent in charge?

That explains some things.
>>
>>2917830

They really do believe, yes. Even though our current overlord is arguably worse than fucking m00t.
>>
>>2917840
At least he was in on the joke.
>>
>>2917850

As I said, he may actually be worse than m00t. As far as I know, m00t never resold people's credit card numbers and entire posting histories. It is said that he was the willing puppet of the FBI, but that was supposedly a "Do it, shut it all down, or don't do either and rot in Federal prison" type deal, not for making profit and currying favor with the current government.
>>
>>2917764
>this is untrue. higan doesn't add any input lag
Higan doesn't but the operating system does. Specifically around controller input polling and sync.
>>
>>2917863

As far as I remember, someone got sick of this autistic meme and actually ran the numbers on both the maximum amount of lag and the minimum difference a human could detect without being some kind of outlier to modern medical science. The results were conclusive that a normally functioning OS, controller, emulator, and computer would result in input lag so imperceptible as to be physically impossible to detect by your average human being (though, the impromptu experiment did appear to assume USB 2.0 or better and a cycle-accurate emulator, I believe).
>>
File: geoff.jpg (92 KB, 598x577) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
geoff.jpg
92 KB, 598x577
>>2917858
1. If you use your credit card info to purchase 4chan passes (literally the only way to give Hiro that info) instead of Paypal or buttcoin, you deserve anything you get.
2. Considering 99% of all posting is anonymous and at best linked to an IP, I'm not sure what good that would do.

But keep up the FUD anyway.
>>
>>2917867
A common mistake in reaction-time tests is that it doesn't account for the normal reaction time gap of a person. For example, if someone is having a 120 ms reaction time to any event in a game, and there's an added 30 ms lag/delay in a particular setup, then that person will be exhibiting a 160 ms reaction time.

People often say "well, the lag is below a person's reaction time therefore it's pointless to worry about it", but that's ignoring that it's a compound number. This is why specific TV's have real performance results in competitive gaming.
>>
>>2917873

Hiro was at 2chan before 4chan m8. Things work a bit differently there. Or did, until he was driven out by a fuck-angry digital mob and a hostile takeover from some US Army ex-pat. Then Hiro proceeded to DDOS his own former online home.
>>
>>2917876

As you can see, even scientific evidence is not enough for the mentally-ill "But I can tell the difference!" crowd.

muh feelings. muh 'spergers.
>>
>>2917882
There was scientific evidence posted here? Where?
>>
>>2917858

I wonder if moot ever reported anyone to the FBI back before 4chan started to get popular in 2007. I'd really be curious to hear how many people got arrested or investigated for conducting or planning illegal activity on 4chan before then.
>>
>>2917879
I'm quite aware of what happened at 2ch, and I'm not going to pretend Hiro wasn't being a dick. I'm simply pointing to the reality of the situation. There isn't really much data to sell in the first place.
>>
>>2917883

Threads regularly prune on an image board, friend. And I am _not_ digging around in a 4chan archive for the last year+ of /vr/ to find one part of one thread.

It was just something I remember being posted that I found funny as all hell at the time, because, like now, even that was not enough for the "Original Hardware" autists. They just kept arguing until no one would argue back (also known as the "last word defense") and the thread slid off of page 10.
>>
>>2917863
>Specifically around controller input polling and sync
RetroArch supports parallel port input if you really care.

>>2917867
All latency harms gaming performance no matter whether you notice it or not. 1ms can make the difference between barely succeeding and failure. Depending on the game there could be thousands of times where success depends on reaction time, and some of them you'll pass only by a very narrow margin. With only a tiny amount of added latency those would have been failures.
>>
>>2917898

>There isn't really much data to sell in the first place.

Here there isn't. In Japan post history can be combined with credit card number and IP address and sold to the rising-power conservative party to establish popular sentiment and purchasing history. 'Chans are not quite the same over there: a much larger cross-section of the population uses them (rather than....Erm...What 4chan's userbase consists of).

>>2917894

That's the one bright spot: until 4chan got popular m00t had almost no involvement with the Feds, if any law enforcement. Once they knocked on his door (figuratively; I don't think they actually no-knock raid'ed him or anything), he didn't put up any fight. Some might see that as cowardly, but to be realistic I don't think there was any stopping the government. These days there almost never is.

I do think it was cowardly to allow them unrestricted on-demand access to the site without trying to warn people or simply taking the high-road and saying "That's all, folks!".
>>
>>2915280
>someone made a thread about what's the perfect setup to get the best NES/Famicom experience either an RGB modded NES-101 or or RGB modded AV Famicom and you had a dozen people chime in about how "who cares, just emulate, faggit!".

Well there's nothing wrong with asking that question, it's the people saying to emulate that are shitposting in that situation. Complaining about how people choose to enjoy their games is the problem here, if you want to emulate that's fine, if you want to play on physical hardware is fine too. Being a dick and insisting people have to do it your way is the problem.
>>
>>2914947
>he thinks emulation can ever replicate the way it was meant to be played
>>
File: 1451253879250.png (135 KB, 172x200) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1451253879250.png
135 KB, 172x200
>someone in other continent cares about the way I play 30yo videogames
>>
>>2916178
A 20 year old Girl I work with collects N64 games, wants a SNES and has recently bought a Megadrive. My boss bought her son a SNES for Christmas. My sisters fiancé is in the process of digging out his old games from his and is parents lofts because he knows a lot of people who collect old games who've told him the prices have recently gone up and now's a good time to sell them. My friend, who collects megadrive games, told me last night his barber also collects megadrive games. And in the next town over there's now 3 shops that sell retro games, while a year ago there was only 1.

So it seems to me that it's gotten relatively popular, but this is just my experience living in a small town in rural England.
>>
>Plays on emulators because he can't tell the difference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tc5WABqwiVU
>>
>>2916178
>i have no friends
>no one i know plays retro
>ergo it's not popular
>>
Depending on what hardware you're using, you can tell the difference. Most notable difference for me is the sound. Use a gameboy emulator on an android device and compare a game's music to the gameboy original, there is a big difference in sound quality.
>>
>>2918138
> SNES
I thought you guys all collectively pretend there were no good NES/SNES games because 'muh home computers British pride'?
>>
>>2915108
You should kill yourself.
>>
>>2917858
>m00t never resold people's credit card numbers and entire posting histories
Pretty sure that was a guy on his staff who did that on his own without Hiro's input.
I think he's actually in a legal battle with the guy who actually did it.

>>2917894
Fairly certain he turned over IPs of people who posted CP and stuff, and I wouldn't be surprised if he turned over the IP of one of the few who went and committed murder and posted about it, probably to cover himself legally 'I would have done the same thing)
>>
>>2917882
Some fighting games have techniques that require a 2 or 1 frame window to preform in a 60fps game. Any lag that is above 16.66ms will effect gameplay. That's science.
>>
idk i like playing on CRT but I'll generally do shit like hook up a modded wii with VC wads
>>
>>2917867
You are making a huge mistake if you think that if a human can't perceive it it doesn't make a difference. Hint: If you're playing Mario Kart time trials and going at 98% the speed you won't perceive a difference either until the time difference starts to add up.
>>
>Not playing pokemon on crt like the developers intended
>>
>>2917901
Ahh, so "shit I made up anecdotally is the scientific evidence" then. Great. Glad to know you weren't worth even replying to originally.
>>
>>2918712

And yet here you are, still responding. Was I worth replying to or not, dumbass?
>>
>>2918712
Who would have thought the guy repeatedly raving about "autistic meme", "retards", "mentally ill" and "muh spergers" wouldn't have a clue about science and make fallacies all over the place? Emulation can be good, it deserves someone to put up a better argument that this fool.
>>
>>2918730

So make the argument. I'm waiting for you to blow me away with your superior debate skills.
>>
>>2918718
I don't make it a point to assume people are full of shit until they do something to prove they are full of shit. But to answer your question, well baited.

>>2918730
Yes, I should have seen that. The /v/ language should have been a dead give away.
>>
>not filling your house with consoles and game collections you barely ever play
>>
>>2918747

>The /v/ language should have been a dead give away.

As if /vr/ is anything more than retro-themed /v/ at this point.
>>
>>2918750

Totally normal behavior not at all indicative of a larger pathology at work, clearly.
>>
>>2918202
retro gaming isnt very popular
theres always that guy saying about "oh man mario/zelda was the shit" but they dont give enough of a fuck to buy/find an old N64
theres also some of this in PC gaming where they talk about "oh man age of empires was the shit man remember cs 1.6 man?" and they dont really want to play those games again.
source: RL
>>
>>2918752
Sadly true. It's why I can't tell the shitposters clearly anymore. They used to be obvious.
>>
>>2916683
>The code allows for it to happen
Yeah, so? The laws of physics also allow you to run down a basketball court without dribbling the ball, but that's against the rules of the game and you'll be penalized for doing it.
>>
>>2914947
Only mocked by someone who has never tried to emulate N64 or Saturn
>>
>>2914982
>>what in input lag
Highly dependent on emulator
>>what is sound slow down / issues
Highly dependent on emulator
>>can it run crysis
Highly dependent on emulator

So basically in case you didn't get the memo, highly dependent on emulator.
>>
>>2915107
>but very unlikely unless you're using a CRT.
Why the fuck wouldn't you? There's really little reason not to be. Besides let's be honest here, you're discussing input lag. If you're not using a CRT you don't even notice the difference or care, you aren't even relevant to this discussion which was bitching about input lag in the first place. You don't go and bitch, well you'd notice the speed difference in nascar racing when the nascar racer drives an ice cream truck. Right, but since no nascar racer drives an ice cream truck it doesn't fucking matter.
So for consistency sake let me fix that for you
>of course and it's extremely likely because there's no other reason for me to consider otherwise that doesn't even remotely involve this discussion.
>>
>>2916159
>a second faster response you get on a CRT.
The CRT I'm using with my emulator? Hmmm... There seems to be a gigantic grand canyonesque flaw in your logic.
>>
>>2914982
Input lag is something people who can't admit they just suck fall back on.
>>
>>2916675
This. Sad thing is she'll probably spam it in a ton of threads afterwards, wouldn't be surprised if this anon came from /tv/ before posting here.
>>
>>2918943
Dude, I'm referring to the majority of people who emulate and play on a modern monitor/TV.

You need to not overread into things looking to get upset. That isn't a very masculine quality.
>>
>>2918517
>forum
>not recognizing Twitter on sight
>>
>>2919206
Not everyone's got their lips wrapped around the cock of social media.
>>
>fighting about the correct way of playing video games instead of playing video games
>>
>>2918517
Nah ill just refer to you as namefag and tell you to fuck off.
>>
>>2918921
Well if it was in the rules of the game it would stop you from doing it. Not reward you for exploiting the code.
The rules of basket ball are clearly defined the rules of the game have instructions they don't stop you from doing it. So your reasoning is flawed.
>>
>>2918940
I don't know about you but them icecream trucks are fast as fuck.
>>
>>2919218
>telling people to stop fighting about the correct way of playing video games instead of playing video games instead of playing video games
See how easy it is to be a sanctimonious douche?
>>
>>2919218

Yeah...This forum is pretty gay, if you hadn't noticed. That's why the "meetup" thread had me in hysterics.
>>
>>2915062
Is this OutRun but on water?
>>
>>2919389
>forum
Here on 4chan we call them subs.
>>
>>2919379

But he's completely right, all you sperglords do is flaunt that you waste money on easily-emulatable hardware marked up to scalper prices and jack off on your CRT screens. The rest of the time you fill entire threads with your autism while the rest of us try to actually discuss the games we're playing.
>>
>>2919402

Boards, actually. But at this point it might as well be leddit.
>>
>>2919403
Reminder if you use emulators you're playing an IMITATION of a game.
>>
>>2919407

Right on fucking cue.
>>
>>2915067
>>TL;DR you're wrong and listen to me-me's created by people who think they understand emulation.

I play retro games for a living for my youtube channel, we emulate and use original hardware, emulation is not the best option and DOES cause more input lag than the real hardware
>>
I love emulation, growing up i played a shitload of old dos based emulators because my computer was slow as shit and I didn't have a console. With that said as an adult i prefer real hardware.

I have played multiple games on both modern emulation and hardware and you really can feel the difference. Try playing super mario world, the input difference is astonishing.
>>
>>2919209
You don't have to. Tweets get posted so often on this site you should be able to tell what it is. I don't use Facebook but I still know what post from there looks like.
>>
>>2919403
There is no major console that is expensive. Even the "prized" AV Famicom is $80, you can still get loose NES, SNES, MD and N64 for $20.
>>
>>2915187
I've no idea someone would delete my post stating that I have no idea who those two are nor why I should care what they have to say. And I still have no idea who those two are nor why I should care what they have to say.

>>2919206
I've never used any social media that you'd have to sign up to be part of.

>>2919894
I've never seen one.
>>
File: delay2.gif (2 MB, 360x640) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
delay2.gif
2 MB, 360x640
>reaction time is relevant to input lag at all


I hate everyone

consider having a 250ms reaction time.

Consider having 200ms of input lag

"oh it's ok because it's less than 250 so you can't react to it!"

except congratulations that's wrong.

What if something happens where you have to press 'jump' in 350ms or you die.

without the input lag, you'd make it.
With the input lag you'd die. It's really not that complex.

fucking brawl apologists

>B-BUT THAT'S A CAMERA FILMING A BUTTON PRESS IT DOESN'T MEAN ANYTHING
>>
>>2915108
>you'll NEVER be accepted among those who actually played this shit YEARS ago
I'll accept them.
>>
>>2920851
>What if something happens where you have to press 'jump' in 350ms or you die.
To be fair if you ever find yourself in a situation where you HAVE to react in 350ms or die, you probably suck at games.
>>
>>2920851
>go to a place with literally some of the most retarded and mentally unstable jerks on the internet.
>"i hate everyone".
>>
>>2919389
oh yeah like why would anyone ever TALK about their hobbies rather than actively doing them the whole time.
>>
>>2920851
This doesn't seem right, 7 frames is nigh unplayable
>>
>>2920897
believe it

The WiiU VC sucks complete ass
The Wii VC is better.
The virtual Wii VC is better. (I think it's the same as the Wii because it's actually Wii hardware or something)

I was excited to play Mario World and other SNES titles on the gamepad, but it sucks.

Then I was excited for Mario Maker. But surprise, it's not actually Mario World, it's some other game in a Mario World skin.

So the WiiU was disappointing as far as Mario World goes.
And 3DS doesn't even have fucking GBA or SNES games, so I can't enjoy Mario World on it either.
>>
>>2920919

>but it sucks

...why? Your argument so far is terrible. I beat Kirby Superstar on the Wii U on co-op with a friend and it was great!
>>
>>2914947
For neogeo the difference is pretty obvious.

The raster effect ( flickering transparency ) many games use doesn't work properly without a CRT running at the original framerate.

It doesn't look transparent on emulators - it just flickers. On some games, that use it extensively it's downright eye straining to look at.
That's why ports usually replace it with real transparency.
For pretty much all fighters, that use it:

neo > DC/ps2 port > emulator

for some ports the DC port is more expensive than the MVS cart - so no - i'm not rationalizing burnt money
>>
>>2920943
his argument is about the input lag, did you even read the other fucking posts
>>
>>2920943
I'm talking about the lag m8
If you like it that's great for you but it still sucks for me.

That's why I'm on a mission to get all of my wii vc games back onto my wii because I unfortunately transferred all of them
>>
>>2917131
>he doesn't use snes9x
>hurrrr i like frustrating guis *chokes on the dos dick*
>>
>>2915170
pssh i could play every n64 game in project64 smooth as a whistle on my 2003 compaq laptop back in like 2006
>>
>>2916683
>not "link i give a fuck"
squandered.
>>
>>2918160
>snes music is soulless compared to muh fart synths
segacucks, everybody
>>
>>2914947
Emulators give out the smell of old electronics?
>>
>>2921183
Sure you did, champ.
>>
>>2917107
If winning by any means possible is absolutely the most important thing, then how come no serious Super Turbo champion plays as Akuma, the indisputably best character? Oh, right, it's because people that actually care about competition understand something called "the spirit of the game" and how it's more fun to play something with balance and variety instead of having everyone do the same boring thing. I swear, it's like most of you don't even like playing video games. You just want to exploit game's system and get it over with as fast as possible so you can get validation from the machine. I bet you use the pause glitch against the Yellow Devil and then justify it by talking about how hard the fight is when it's just the same pattern over and over.
>>
>>2920871
>Tripfag replying to pasta.
Yup I expected something as stupid.
>>
>>2919407
Don't know if you've been told this but the word emulation basically means to imitate. Just saying.
>Most of us don't care, we just wanna play out of print games without you price gouging fuckery.
>>
>>2919396
More mission based but kinda.
>>
>>2919403
>the rest of us try to actually discuss filters
FTFY faggot
>>
>>2921905
>how come no serious Super Turbo champion plays as Akuma
Because they know he would be formally banned if people started playing him, so it would be a waste of time learning him
>>
>>2914947
I dont do either because i'm not pirate scum.

I paid for my games like a normal person back in the day. why should you get to slide on by?
>>
>>2914982
Doublenigger, SSF2 Turbo arcade board has the same amount of lag as GroovyMAME with 1000 MHz controller input.

And with your "original hardware" you can't even flip the output and then turn your TV upside down in order to draw the initial lines where the characters appear at the bottom (formerly top).
>>
>>2915070
Can BSNES even output the original display signal for patricians with Radeon 9000 - HD 4000 and crt_emudriver?
>>
File: 1452571825437.jpg (17 KB, 200x200) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1452571825437.jpg
17 KB, 200x200
>input lag

Why have I been seeing this pop up everywhere when it comes to retro vidya?

I've never noticed it in any shape or form on flatscreens, crts, on consoles, emulators, or anything else.

Is this some stupid new non-existent complaint? Even if it is a thing, what's the fucking difference between 1/10000 of a second and 1/100000 of a second? Are you a bunch of mlg watching faggots or something?

And for you op, yeah I do notice a difference when my game works on the hardware it was intended to run on vs a slapped together frankenstein of an emulator like pj64 or some shit.
>>
>>2922480
10 frames of lag when running 240p signals on an HDTV is fucking significant. I'm not sure if you're blind or just not paying attention. Stuff like mega man is completely unplayable if you just hook your NES up to your LCD.

Everything else is indeed splitting hairs though, in terms of emulator vs console or whatever else.
>>
>>2922480
>I've never noticed it in any shape or form
So you can beat Tyson in Punch Out!, right?
>>
>>2914947
Inb4 Respberries Pie shills
>>
>>2918695
>RA
Shill.
>>
>>2922490
Totally subjective and totally varies by TV.
>>
>>2917867
Your average human is a mouth breather. Measuring averages is fucking retarded for shit. The average person doesn't get raped in the ass by large burly men, therefore it happens to no one. Also what's known doesn't change what is. I can't detect a bullet coming out of a gun but it can still have a pretty devastating effect on me.
>>
>>2922480
I've had it on a few setups before. Specific configuration can make a large difference as well.
Even if it is a thing, what's the fucking difference between 1/10000 of a second and 1/100000 of a second?
Not much. Which is why we're actually discussing input lag on an order enough to cause significant frame delay for input instead. But good job on responding like a troll instead of someone trying to have a discussion.
>>
>>2923195

Most retarded post of the fucking new year. Without averages we wouldn't have lots of shit this dumbass likely enjoys on a daily basis (MP3 compression is one of them).

What a fucking mong.
>>
>try emulation
>have to download shittons of software
>have to download games
>have to control using keyboard

why bother when you can just
>plug in console
>turn it on
>it just works
>>
>>2917908
So what you're saying is that beating a game on emulator is EVEN MORE of an accomplishment than on original hardware, because you defeated lag.
>>
>>2923215
Fuck you mouth breather.
Averages tell you what you might expect not the limits of possibility.
>Without averages we wouldn't have lots of shit this dumbass likely enjoys on a daily basis (MP3 compression is one of them).
Except that MP3 passes all double blinds against it and is 100% comparable in hearing to a digital CD without fault. That's not average, that's the limit. You can't more definitive than not a single person has the capability to detect the range here.
Likewise, a lot of people have average hearing and encode as abysmally low rates like 128K cuz, it's good enough I can't hear the difference and you end up with a fucking terrible recording on a perfectly acceptable format. OGG's better though since it's similar enough in compression and it's also free licensed.

TL;DR pack your shit and fuck off.
>>
>>2914947
/v/ is leaking again?
>>
>>2923090
I was only trying it out, it fucking sucks m8.
>>
>>2921183

No you couldn't. That's objectively wrong. There were roms that have had graphical inaccuracies for years that still haven't been solved. Yoshi's Story comes to mind.
>>
>>2919292
If 90% of the people know you're deliberately being a cunt, you're disqualified.
>>
>>2923319
Are you literally retarded?

>plug in console
>turn it on
>it just works
Not with HDTVs without the right ports, some don't have a game mode, and what is regionlock and mod chips?
>>
I'm fine with emulation as a casual solution or to play things I don't own but playing on original hardware still feels more real. I have a CRT attached with various SD quality consoles.
>>
File: 1452980569627.jpg (21 KB, 291x302) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1452980569627.jpg
21 KB, 291x302
>>2923319
>there are people on 4chins right now this retarded
But then again im on a /v/ based board.
>>
>>2920949
>It doesn't look transparent on emulators - it just flickers.
It just flickers on original hardware too. Flicker transparency is always an ugly hack. And it looks the same on emulators, assuming they're correctly configured (1:1 emulated:displayed frame ratio). Note that this requires using vsync as the master timing source, which means audio will glitch unless you're using dynamic rate control. AFAIK RetroArch is the only software that gets this right.
>>
>>2924768
RetroArch doesn't emulate anything. Correctly or otherwise.
>>
most emulators have a motion blur trick to make the flicker look better
>>
>>2915225
Speaking of that pic
>>
>>2925008
I never said it did.

>>2925025
No such trick is possible. Motion blur only makes things look worse.
>>
>>2925045
>And it looks the same on emulators,
>I never said this
>>
>>2916683
What the fuck, who's using my set-up for superslides? I thought I was the only one. Does anyone actually know the runner in the .gif, by chance?
>>
File: 1450913511538.jpg (51 KB, 474x600) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1450913511538.jpg
51 KB, 474x600
>>2924652
>playing retro vidya on an HDTV
>>
>>2915108
I just like video games.
>>
File: 2161_front.jpg (83 KB, 600x599) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
2161_front.jpg
83 KB, 600x599
Is it possible to play this on an emulator?
>>
>>2925678
You mean input lag? I THINK mednafen and epsxe 1.8 should run it right.

To be honest it's not a hard game, once you've unlocked every character there's not much else to do.
>>
>>2925680
>epsxe 1.9
Fix
>>
If you just like to play video games there is nothing wrong with emulators or buying. The real cancer are collectorfags who buy games primarly for collecting and owning the product instead of playing and beating it.
>>
>>2915070

>I need a $2000 dollar gaming rig to play a 2 mb rom
>>
>>2925756
Yeah, I never understood this. Snes9x does me just fine
>>
>>2925756
You don't need a gaming rig to run Higan/BSNES. You just need a good CPU. The graphics card does literally nothing for emulating SNES games. I have an i5-3570K that I'm not even overclocking and it runs Higan flawlessly.
>>
>>2922503
He's beatable but requires immense luck, unlike every other character in the game that has a pattern that you COULD memorize to beat on an LCD, Tyson is impossible because he's the only guy in the game to throw actual random blows and you need split second reflexes... at least in the first round.
>>
>>2925756
I don't understand why you'd spend $2000 for a 99.9% experience when you could buy most of the original hardware and flashcarts for $1000.

I think they're "spiting themselves to prove a point" like the people who become fucked up drug addicts just to hurt mom and dad.
>>
>>2926538
>paying $1,000 for ANY retro vidya

I bought a SNES in very good condition, 2 controllers, and Killer Instinct for under $100

What kind of a retard spends that much on retro?
>>
>>2919424
Get a load of this guy.
>>
>>2919424
>this is your blog
>being part of the problem
You're worse than Hitler.
>>
>>2915302

Those games were not designed to look like that you fucking scum! Get some CRT filters
>>
>>2927457
I meant $1000 all together. You could buy most of them.

Yes the SNES, MD, NES, etc are cheap but try getting a Halcyon for less than $1000.
>>
>>2915108


Wow... Well said. I'm 33 and all I see here are kids wishing they lived in the 90s like me and my friends. The argument over CRT lines is the best. Kids fighting over what we sought to eliminate with HDs lol
>>
>>2928626
nah, as lots of others have stated it's lame, it reminds me of maddox style except a lot worse. Most of the post is just getting in all of those culture references and put-downs, that really impresses you? And no I'm not a kid, I'm almost the same age as you.
>>
>obvious bait
>200 replies
Typical /vr/
>>
>>2922149
>>And with your "original hardware" you can't even flip the output and then turn your TV upside down in order to draw the initial lines where the characters appear at the bottom (formerly top).

lol what the fuck am I reading?
>>
>>2928845
I have no idea either but he's talking about cocktail mode
>>
>>2923084
>>2923090

There's that word again
>>
>>2928626
Look, I emulate and still output to a CRT. It's superiority, at least for pixel graphics, is undeniable.
>>
>>2915108
This copypasta keeps getting better.
>>
File: le hat joke.png (26 KB, 640x480) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
le hat joke.png
26 KB, 640x480
>>2917275
Thread replies: 208
Thread images: 24
Thread DB ID: 439250



[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vip /vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Home]

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vip /vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the shown content originated from that site. This means that 4Archive shows their content, archived. If you need information for a Poster - contact them.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content, then use the post's [Report] link! If a post is not removed within 24h contact me at [email protected] with the post's information.