[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do yurofags deal with having to play the worst versions of

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 5

File: PAL-NTSC-SECAM.svg.png (367KB, 2000x1015px) Image search: [Google]
PAL-NTSC-SECAM.svg.png
367KB, 2000x1015px
How do yurofags deal with having to play the worst versions of every retro game? Imports? Mods? Kinda depressing really
>>
They play Amiga games.
>>
Either play native games or use an emulator.
>>
>>2909089
All consoles since Genesis are in RGB in native. And Pal games, not all are sloxwer.
>>
>>2909098
>>2909116
PAL is always terrible, because 50Hz flicker is much more annoying than 60Hz flicker. The only exception is low framerate games like most 3d 5th gen games, because in that case motion quality is so bad that you might as well not bother flickering.

60Hz flicker is bad too, but it's just about tolerable.

TVs should have standardized on 120Hz.
>>
>>2909089
Chipped console + everdrives + RGB
No problem at all.
>>
>>2909120
>PAL is always terrible, because 50Hz flicker is much more annoying than 60Hz
>60Hz flicker is bad too, but it's just about tolerable.
>TVs should have standardized on 120Hz.

When will you leave?
>>
I don't know, man. I never noticed much 50hz flicker to begin with, with any of my sets. But coming and visiting the US feels like I'm seriously going back in time when I notice all you have there was composite when we had RGB everywhere. Makes the place look like some third-world country. Shit sucks, hard.
>>
>>2909089
We had RGB.

I only ever noticed the slowdown on Sonic 1.

Nintendo were the only ones who seriously shafted us when it came to releasing games here, so most people played computers and Sega.

I'll give you the top and bottom borders in games though. They sucked and there was no way around them besides modding or importing.
>>
How did rusbros deal with SECAM?
>>
File: 17.jpg (26KB, 640x427px) Image search: [Google]
17.jpg
26KB, 640x427px
>>2909089
>tfw "asia"
>PAL and NTSC versions everywhere
>>
Everybody emulates here, anyways.
>>
>>2909221
skip to around 6:40
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDCW_hXrU1E
>>
>>2909221
There was only one SECAM-compatible console, and it sucked as the color support was a dirty hack. Atari 2600.
For the rest: either you played in b&w, had a PAL/NTSC compatible TV, or used RGB.
>>
I buy imports. It's more expensive but it's worth it. I also use RGB SCART cables on them, getting the best of Japan/US and Europe.
>>
>>2909120
Stop using shitty composite than.
>>
>>2909248
The only intelligent post ITT
>>
>>2909248
This.
>>
murican idiots.
I played Terranigma on SNES.
You GAYS never got it
>>
>>2909129
your games still play at the wrong speed.
>>
>>2909089
Emulation.
>>
>>2910218
Ehm... no? I play them at 60hz.
>>
When I was a child I had no concept of fps or hertz or color theory. I just had my RF SNES and a CRT.
Found emulation in 2001 and had a weird hunch that something was wrong. Some of the games I played didn't have the "Choose language" screen I was used to having and the speed was.... strange.
Not long after that I realised the (U) and (E) seals and it was like a whole new world open for me.
When I was an adult I ditched my PAL SNES and bought a Super Famicom. Cheap imports and faster games – the way it should be.
>>
>>2909257
What? Atari 2600 wasn't the only SECAM console. The Master System definitely had a SECAM version, I'm pretty sure the Mega Drive did as well.
>>
>>2911318
No, and no.
>>
>>2909089
Because I played video games for the fun.

I'll leave the hertz comparisons to those suffering from OCD.
>>
>>2909187
>I only ever noticed the slowdown on Sonic 1.
Look again pal. I cannot believe I keep finding it but youtube has proven me it happens in Tekken 3 (Sonic 1 levels of bad), the Metal Slug Collection (plus a very bad input lag), and Persona 4 (I'm still not sure about this one but it really looks like).
I thought this problem was gone with the Dreamcast but apparently I was wrong.
>>
>>2911304
Didn't you realise when you heard songs on movies? They were always a semitone higher. I remember concluding it was a copyright thing at the time?

Or am I a retard
>>
>>2911358
I can see it when I watch video comparisons, but honestly, I can only notice the slowdown when playing if the music is slowed down as well, and the vast majority of PAL releases (Sonic 1 being one of the exceptions that comes to mind) had the sound at the correct speed.
>>
>>2909089
>How do yurofags deal with having to play the worst versions of every retro game?

Not every. Portable and PC games are not affected. In other words, the vast majority of retro games are not affected.
On console, SOME games have good conversions, where they play just like the original version. Basically, the more recent a console is, the more good conversions you will have. Then you have games which were made by devs located in PAL territories, some of which may even be exclusive.
And then you have a handful of games which PAL version is actually the better one, like SMB1 for instance.

So all in all, like I said the vast majority of games are not affected. The problem is, the "retro gamers xD" crowd mostly consist of Nintendo/Sony/Sega fanboys who have never touched a PC game, so for them the majority of "their" games are affected.

How do I deal with it? Mostly emulation and also a good share of import; and flashcarts.

Most people "deal" with it by persuading themselves that the difference is negligeable and that it's totally okay. Need to make themselves believe all the hundreds of euros they spent on retro 50hz console shit aren't worthless.
>>
I got my systems 60hz chipped.
>>
Given the choice today I'd opt for the 60hz versions where there is an advantage, but my memories of playing games that were apparently slower doesn't really fit with them actually being slower. I played the PAL Sonic 1 over 20 years ago, then emulated the NTSC version over 10 years ago without noticing any difference. It's like that other anon said, a lot of the time it's really hard to notice this shit unless it's a side by side comparison or its pointed out to you beforehand.

I basically went from SNES, Megadrive, PS1 to Dreamcast and nothing stood out as being slow. The only time it has been blatant enough for me to notice was on the PS2 with the likes of FFX.

Still, with emulation, region mods and easy availability of everything nowadays it's not really an issue for anyone any more. The PAL and NTSC TV standards of old are both discarded in favour of HD formats so it's not really a problem with new content. The stigma towards the whole thing is just weird though.
>>
>>2911362
With movies it made better sense and PAL got the better end of the deal with conversions.

Film was shot at 24fps. In order to display that at the PAL rate of 25fps, the entire movie would be sped up by a negligible 4%. That slight speed adjustment affects both video and sound, but would allow the output to retain the smooth motion. The change in audio is slightly more perceptible and is just one of the side effects of the process.

When displaying a 24fps at a multiple of 30fps, the agreed upon method was 3:2 pulldown which blends frames every so often in an attempt to avoid stuttering motion.

So basically, PAL got screwed with games while NTSC got screwed with movies. Nowadays we have movies widely available in their original 24fps format and games easily obtainable or emulatable in any format.

Everyone wins, what a time to be alive.
>>
File: 2336726-crash2.png (2MB, 962x813px) Image search: [Google]
2336726-crash2.png
2MB, 962x813px
Are any games besides this where the PAL version is better?
>>
>>2911470

As a PALfag, I am bothered by the speedup of movied and TV shows. I hear the difference in pitch right away.
>>
>>2911658
It's not better just more exploitable.
>>
>>2911664
Kind of strange, there's ways to speed up audio without the pitch changing. Maybe there wasn't back then.
>>
>>2911658
Wipeout games were made for PAL.
>>
>>2911668

It's even stranger that I've heard it in current TV shows. The Big Bang Theory was on TV not too long ago, and I could clearly hear the theme song was faster with a higher pitch.
>>
File: 1382576571213.jpg (32KB, 346x346px) Image search: [Google]
1382576571213.jpg
32KB, 346x346px
>>2911664
As a fellow PALfag I love it and can't seriously watch the 24fps version after getting used to the speedup 25fps one, it feels like a borefest and a drag. Needless to say I try not to get blurays from stuff I already own in DVD. This includes anime and shows too (although some were preemptively interpolated to 25fps like Pokemon and TMS stuff like Detective Conan). I download every DBAbridged episode before watching it so I can increase the speed with VLC and enjoy Kikuchi's music like I did in my childhood.

As a bonus, did anybody know our Mega Drive had a slightly lower pitch to its audio output, because every component's clock frequency (set by the master clock) was slightly lower so that our composite encoder could sync with PAL's bandwidth? I can really notice but try not to because it drives my autism mad so I just convince myself that our pitch is correct and everybody else is wrong and too fast.
>>
>>2911687

I would be perfectly fine with the higher speed, it just means marginally less time wasted. But the pitch is horrible. I have absolute pitch, so I immediately detect when something is off with the sound without reference.
>>
>>2911695
I also notice on , but I think the unchromatic pitches add to the experience and really help me get a free suspense of disbelief. Like the notes just feel magical and uncommon. Also every actor's performance feels like it's on crack so it's instantly more convincing.
>>
>>2911704
>notice on

*right away
>>
>>2909089
romhacks that fix bugs and crappy translation / that make it an english version because none exist
>>
>>2911668
It's only a semitone so most people don't notice. Combination of small change in pitch + laziness,
>>
>>2909249
oh man poor kids
>>
>>2911794
There's no way to increase the speed and keep the pitch without some noticeable hiccups because you're literally deleting samples (analogically it can't be done unless you interpolate the video first and then keep the original audio).

Keep in mind that when movies/shows are mastered or prepared for broadcast any film has to be scanned with the according optical audio. What they did is just scan the film at a 25fps rate and the audio came naturally faster. There's no laziness involved.
>>
>>2911810
Is that how it works? Time stretching is pretty common, I know some emulators use it to keep the audio in sync with the video without altering the pitch during speedup/slowdown.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_time-scale/pitch_modification
>>
>>2911810
There is. You being ignorant of it doesn't change the reality.
>>
>>2913653
Time stretching always causes perceptible artifacts. I prefer just speeding it up. I'm not cursed with absolute pitch perception ("perfect pitch").
>>
>>2909089

At least the slower music worked better for a couple of stages of the original Sonic soundtrack.
>>
>>2910210
I played Mario RPG and hundreds of others Europoors never got, you mad? Yeah you mad.
>>
File: psycho pigs.webm (2MB, 391x278px) Image search: [Google]
psycho pigs.webm
2MB, 391x278px
OP's right, but PAL has nothing to do with it. Home computers were cheaper and more common than consoles, and people stuck with 10-year old computers that were low end even when they were new.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmLMBlvyPZI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hS7HYsOEccw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhG6Qn1UG1c
>>
PAL is love, PAL is life
>>
>>2909089
PAL and NTSC consoles with everdrive.
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.