[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Stean Link

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: header.jpg (14KB, 460x215px) Image search: [Google]
header.jpg
14KB, 460x215px
What are your impressions on using the Steam Link for retro games. whether native and emulated?
It sounds like a decent alternative to lugging the computer around or getting a full fledged computer for the living room.
>>
>>2906952
>It sounds like a decent alternative to lugging the computer around
Get a PSP
>>
>>2906953
To connect it to a TV? And it's pretty limited to what it can play compared to your average PC.
>>
>>2906956
Point. In that case just get a decent laptop or netbook
>>
>>2906952
Does it need steam to work?
>>
>>2906970
I think it does.
>>
>>2906961
yeah, this. Why not get a cheap used laptop and run DOSBox and the like on it? I don't see why a decent XP laptop from around 2008 or so wouldn't be able to adequately handle most all retro PC games. Heck, back in the day my 2008 netbook could play Halo CE at full speed.
>>
>>2907020
It would still cost more than $50.
>>
>>2906956
All a Steam Link does is stream whatever PC you have running Steam to your TV.
I've got one and it's pretty good. The Steam Controller is alright for most games (but it's god awful for fighting games). It works as an Xinput device, as well as keyboard and mouse.
>>
>>2906956
Wii is pretty good for connecting to a TV. Especially if it's a CRT.
>>
>>2907329
That's what I could use it for. The PC is too far from the TV to practically connect it. There are HDMI cables long enough but I have no clue how to handle controls over long distances.
Being able to share it with other members of the family that also have Steam seems like a nice bonus.
I heard you could use all sorts of controllers via USB so the Steam controller is less of my concern.
>>
>>2907026
buy a used chromebook and put linux on it. I sold mine for like 100
>>
>>2907329
How's the latency, though?
Streaming from the PC takes some resources, there had to be some delays to the TV, especially without cables.
>>
>>2909027
I could get parts to finalize new PC for that.
A Sempron and fitting Micro-ATX Mobo are only $35 each and I have a case, drive and other stuff to spare.
There's also warranty and upgradability to consider.
>>
>>2909030
It's practically unnoticeable as far as I can tell. I'm even using Wi-Fi to connect.
>>
>>2909271
>i only play steam rpgs
>>
seriourly now

its quite trivial how modern closed hardware "fake clone" hardware emulators are acceptable or even modern ARM computers when we're talking about emulation, but at this point we are discussing about a wireless screen streamer,

and one that eforces the use of an always-online game launcher at vr/ of all places, where you're most likely to find 30yo+ who would rather just forego any new games that don't offer alternative purchases thatn to pay with their wallets in favour of temporary game rentage
>>
File: 1452468178165.jpg (38KB, 269x270px) Image search: [Google]
1452468178165.jpg
38KB, 269x270px
>>2906952
I've heard that Steam link has a lot of annoying work arounds you gotta do if you wanna run stuff like emulators on it. It may be cheap and easy to set up but you'd probably save yourself some hassle by just building a small emulation and media based computer for your TV.
>>
>>2909406
this website has been trawled by valve shills for years
>>
Waste of money.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.