[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: Classics you don't see the appeal to I don't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 12

ITT: Classics you don't see the appeal to

I don't understand the love for Strider. They're mediocre.
>>
File: 1399226266539.jpg (4KB, 217x208px) Image search: [Google]
1399226266539.jpg
4KB, 217x208px
>>2906287
>ITT: Classics you don't see the appeal to
I see OP has been reading from his favorite book on thread making again.
>>
>>2906303

It's a legitimate question anon. Even for its time, the controls are clunky, the sprites are too big and the view field is too small. Combat is shallow and the jump control doesn't really go with the fast paced action the game is going for

Now if you want to explain to me what it does right then I'm all ears. Maybe I missed something. Who knows.
>>
The Lunar series. Every game seems sub-par for the system it's released on in terms of character design and gameplay, and YouTube videos of its battles make it seem very clunky.

Also, Megami Tensei games. Combining mazes with a high encounter rate just seems like a formula to ruin everyone's day.
>>
File: 1451930362834.png (114KB, 311x438px) Image search: [Google]
1451930362834.png
114KB, 311x438px
>>2906445
>YouTube videos
... you haven't actually played one?
>>
Earthbound
>>
>>2906453
lol you caught him
>>
>>2906445
You're dead wrong about megaten, home-boy.
>>
I don't see the appeal of these threads 2bh. I think it's a teenage thing to pretend to act bitter and elitist about everything. Like your tastes are superior. I enjoy even the bad games these days.
>>
>>2906287
Are you that 17 year old guy who started playing "RETRO" 2-3 years ago?
>>
>>2906408
Strider was the first parkour-y arcade game at the time. It is like modern Prince of Persia or Assasin's Creed, except retro and less shit.

Play Strider 2 (the 1999 game, not the 1990 one) if you have trouble with og Strider.
>>
File: run saber.jpg (60KB, 640x443px) Image search: [Google]
run saber.jpg
60KB, 640x443px
>>2906287
At first I didn't like it either. Doesn't play that well, looks like shit and the sound effect of the sword was annoying. So I played a clone on the SNES called Run Saber, thinking the SNES could provide better graphics and sound, but god damnit, it plays so clunky. Slow and frustrating and beh.

I still don't love Strider, but it's certainly better than other games.
>>
Strider has some neat ideas, but it's not a fantastic game, it focus too much on memorization compared to something like Ghouls 'n Ghosts which is more intuitive. I still like it though, and since it's a short game i still 1cc it sometimes.

>>2906927
>thinking the SNES could provide better graphics and sound
Do you realize that the CPS-1 is much more powerful than the SNES right?
>>
File: 471408-softassteel22.jpg (137KB, 648x1024px) Image search: [Google]
471408-softassteel22.jpg
137KB, 648x1024px
>>2906927
Nice Julie Bell cover though. Too bad a good cover doesn't automatically mean a good game...
>>
>>2906287
Altered Beast. It was shite then and it's shite now, having what, 20 minutes of repetitive gameplay?
>>
>>2906287
>How can Op be a complete faggot?
>shits on Strider
welp
>>
>>2906287
Mortal Kombat
Kid Chameleon
>>
>>2907013
>Kid Chameleon
>classic

wew lad
>>
>>2906287
ITT: another kid trolls with it's stupidity
Aside from it not being a mario game and having artificial difficulty slightly in excess of a kirby game what's your problem bitch
>>
>>2907013
>Mortal Kombat
While I can understand not liking Mortal Kombat seeing as most of the games play like ass it's pretty obvious why the game was so big and has become a pop culture icon.
>>
File: 1438414976544.jpg (142KB, 709x1002px) Image search: [Google]
1438414976544.jpg
142KB, 709x1002px
>>2906987
Its not great but I think calling it shit is a stretch. It's worth a play just for the visuals imo. Love the art direction.
>>
File: happy dancing anime girl.gif (178KB, 160x160px) Image search: [Google]
happy dancing anime girl.gif
178KB, 160x160px
>>2906287
It's got ninjas fighting Soviets in the future. Don't really see how I could further explain the appeal.
>>
Golden Axe. Everyone loved that shit when i was a kid but i never got into it. It always felt sluggish and boring to me. Havibg said that, i imagine the arcade version was ten times better.
>>
You don't understand OP, it was the first CPS system kit to fit any cabinet!
>>
>>2907326
Considering that it came out before Final Fight it was a pretty good beat 'em up, but yeah now it feel a bit "outdated" along with other 80s brawlers like Double Dragon.
>>
>>2906408
>combat is shallow
Compared to what games that came out the same year? Old platformer games were about minamilist perfection in design.

Also you seem to have over looked the fact that in terms of aestetics Strider is in a league of it's own within it's time. The levels do not feel like an assort of random shapes but an actual enviroment. I can't think of any platformer that had something on the scale of the battle ship in level 2.

Mechanically the sense of speed and flow when playing the game is excellent. The re-spawn rate is just enough to keep you motivated to moving you foward without ever slowing the game down. Combat is intense as both Strider and his enemies can be killed in almost no time.

Music and sound were incredible.

>jump control doesn't really go with the fast paced action
The jump is perfectly complimentary to the action though. Every motion you make must be dilberate, a mistimed jump will kill you with very little chance of a recovery. Every step forward or jump is meaningful and the pressure is always on to move forward so you won't stop and hesitate.

Let me guess you grew up on newer games which held your hand when it came to jumping.
>>
>>2906408
>the view field is too small

Is there a more pleb complaint about retro games? I have never once thought to myself "the view field is too small". Never in any retro game.

Git gud holy shit.
>>
>>2909015
Then you're not very observant.

Lots of old games have sprites that are too big. It's the main reason that Megaman 7 is so much worse than most other Megaman games. It's the biggest flaw of Metroid 2.

If you want to see clearly what an old game with a bad field of view looks like, try playing Super Mario Brothers Deluxe on GBC.
>>
>>2906987
>>2907135
Altered Beast isn't a fucking "classic". The only reason everybody knows about it is because it was a pack-in. It was always a bad game.
>>
>>2909024
It's not a "classic" but it's not a bad game either.

Problem is that most of these 80s arcade were very memory-based, which isn't a bad thing IMO but people today don't like that kind of difficulty.
>>
>>2909049
Come on man, Altered Beast is terrible. Golden Axe isn't good either but it can at least be enjoyable. Altered Beast is just nonsensical crap on the other hand.
>>
>>2909063
whatever family
>>
>>2907096
ULTRA VIOLENCE
>>
>>2909017
Naw, you're just a shitter, Op.
>>
>>2906942
>Do you realize that the CPS-1 is much more powerful than the SNES right?
He probably meant another port. I don't think he knew that it was an arcade game first.
>>
>>2909049
It does have its place in gaming history being the original pack in Genesis game but being a classic is debatable. Must of been mind blowing in the late 80s compared to nes games out at the time tho.

>>2909063
>Soldiers in ancient Rome killing demons/zombies who are also able to turn into beasts and fight huge grotesque monsters
>"terrible"
Not possible fAm
>>
File: 1410562890737.png (624KB, 722x525px) Image search: [Google]
1410562890737.png
624KB, 722x525px
>>2906445
>youtube
You're a bigger faggot than >>2906287
>>
>>2909204
Either way i doubt the SNES could have a better port of Strider than the Genesis one. And the NES game while good, hardly could be considered a port.
>>
Bards Tale.
>>
File: Shadow_Of_The_Beast2.jpg (166KB, 1023x615px) Image search: [Google]
Shadow_Of_The_Beast2.jpg
166KB, 1023x615px
>>2906942
But it still looks like shit. Probably just the art direction and I was hoping for some better art direction on the all mighty and colorful SNES. It didn't happen.

>>2907135
This game looks like a turd.

>>2906987
In a similar way, the Shadow of the Beast series. Well, at least the look fantastic and pretty much everyone agrees that they weren't great games.
>>
>>2911379
At the very least Strider looks better than the average SNES title.
>>
File: 2374585-genesis_striderreturns.jpg (58KB, 467x640px) Image search: [Google]
2374585-genesis_striderreturns.jpg
58KB, 467x640px
So someone told me that I'm thinking about this in the wrong way. To frame my perspective right, he suggested I try out Strider Returns.

And my lord was that piece of shit hot garbage.

Absolutely no redeeming qualities was found in this unofficial sequel. Level designs were flat, art designs were horrible, music was even worse. A lot of the little things I never noticed or appreciated in the original Strider were completely missing.

I went back and played Strider again, and while I still think it's a little clunky, I can see why people enjoyed it. There's a lot of little mechanics that I'm unfairly criticizing it for not being polished to the standard of some modern games when game was always polished for its time.

I still think the field of view is too small though.
>>
How can anyone dislike strider? It's a fucking masterpiece and you should also play osman/canon dancer.
>>
>>2909015
While I generally agree with you the Game Gear port of the Master System Sonic games did suffer from a smaller field of view in some levels. Great example is the first level in Sonic 2, it's pretty easy on the Master System but is infamously hard on the Game Gear because of the smaller screen size making it a pain in the ass to properly dodge the first boss attacks.
>>
IIRC Strider, along with Revenge of Shinobi, were among the earliest games for the megadrive and served as much as a sales pitch/demonstration of what the brand new 16-bit console was capable of in terms of graphics, sound and power, as much as the gameplay itself

Strider itself was quite short, but mindblowing in all the above categories back when most kids were still used to 8-bit games
>also, it IS a great game
>>
>>2909024
>>2909049
Me and a friend used to play it a lot because we found it to be hilarious.
>>
>>2906408
I agree OG strider is strange but I really like it for '80s aesthetic. I think it's hilarious.

1999 Strider 2 is far superior and I'd reccomend it on its own merits.
>>
File: Dxcover.jpg (125KB, 362x450px) Image search: [Google]
Dxcover.jpg
125KB, 362x450px
>>2906287
Every single RPG ever made apart from Souls and Bloodborne(these are hardly RPGs anyway as they're gameplay driven and actually come with good gameplay). STALKER and Diablo also look interesting but I haven't played them yet.

RPG is a genre for literal faggots that need to roleplay away their crappy lives because they suck so hard at irl. They suck balls at video games, too, apparently because RPG isn't actual a test of mechanical vidya skill; it's a test of how much of a loser you are that you don't mind grinding your crappy life away to hit some wizard level where you can finally select a potion to beat a boss. I don't understand why this genre has a prerequisite to come with shitty unappealing gameplay. If a game doesn't have good gameplay it's a shitty game, period. On top of that I don't play video games for stories and if you do you're fucking retarded. I don't relate to a faggoty, poorly written pixel cartoon because I'm not a literal emotionally stunted autist. On top of that the voice acting, when it's there, is pure shit. There are far better mediums by which to experience stories such as books, movies and television shows. I play games to PLAY games, not to sift through a pretentious pixelated cartoon made for literal manchildren.

RPG sucks and if you play it you should probably kill yourself.
>>
>>2916331

That's some effort on shitposting.
>>
>>2916331
k
>>
>>2907096
The first 2 MKs were aight. It was more about shock value at the time than actual gameplay. The engine didn't become total garbage until MK3, when the Run button was introduced. Afterwards, it was all downhill.
>>
File: d5c.jpg (76KB, 625x626px) Image search: [Google]
d5c.jpg
76KB, 625x626px
>>2916331
>>
>>2916331
He's right. You can't even refute his points.
>>
>>2916331
muh skill
>>
I could never get into Strider either, really. I liked Strider 2 though.
>>
>>2916331
It's your own fault if you only played WRPGs.
>>
>>2906287
>I don't understand the love for Strider. They're mediocre.

Strider had huge 2d graphics, unique controls (you can climb on walls, ceilings, do cartwheels and slides), you were swinging a badass sword super fast and cut all sorts of enemies into half in zero time.

And you were fighting giant hammer & sickle wielding mechanical centipedes in a soviet parlament and then full-screen sized robot gorillas off in the tundra.

This was back in 1989 when the USSR just collapsed and your average arcade game controlled about as smooth as Ghouls'n'Ghosts. Strider was pure gold in that setting.

A lot of you fags "not getting" retro games will fail to consider the historical context of each game. Like, I think Starfox is an unimpressive turd, but I don't go throwing shit on it because when it came out people still barely switched from the NES - the only place you could see games with comparable graphics were 1-2000 USD PCs and maybe Amigas.
>>
>>2917174
>This was back in 1989 when the USSR just collapsed
You messed up with dates, USSR collapsed at the end of 1991.
>>
>>2909015
Dude.

Make an argument.

Don't call names. Make a fucking argument.

Jesus.
>>
>>2917189
>You messed up with dates, USSR collapsed at the end of 1991.

Well it was right on the corner by the time, with perestroika at full steam and free elections being held the same year.
>>
>>2917174
>and your average arcade game controlled about as smooth as Ghouls'n'Ghosts
Ghouls 'n Ghosts is way smoother than Strider tho, and i have 1cc'd both games 2bh.
>>
>>2917261
Ghouls'n'Ghosts doesn't allow you to grapple on the ceiling, climb up on the wall, then cartwheel over the edge into the ground.
>>
>>2917287
But for the same reason it doesn't suffer fron the annoying controls of those features.
Thread posts: 63
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.