[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How come games like Fallout 1, Boulders Gate, and Deus Ex aged

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 9

File: image.jpg (14KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
14KB, 259x194px
How come games like Fallout 1, Boulders Gate, and Deus Ex aged like shit and are no longer fun to play while games like OOT and Super Mario 64 are hella fun and still enjoyable to this day?
>>
>aged
>>
OoT is less fun than any of the games you mentioned before. I think it might have something to do with you being a massive faggot though.
>>
This thread is going to be great.
>>
Because people have different opinions and like different things.
>>
>>2903852
>oot and mario 64
>hella enjoyable
Glad you have fun with them, they mark milestones in console gaming, and we're very well designed, but I don't see how from a gameplay perspective you can have that much fun with them.
>>
File: 1421578221319.jpg (69KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1421578221319.jpg
69KB, 1000x1000px
>>2903860
>>2903864

You two need to overthrow OP and commandeer the thread...For the glory of Mother /VR/.
>>
>>2903852
You have to be a bit more subtle.
>>
>games
>aged

1/10, we've all seen this bait so many times by this point.
>>
>>2903852
because nintendo is the best company on earth rip iwata mustard race on suicide watch
>>
>>2903852

This is definitely going to be a great thread, full of thought-provoking, good-natured discussion! :)
>>
>>2903852
In my opinion, it's not the games that "didn't age well", but rather that the controls have become somewhat dated.

In Ocarina of Time, the controls are mostly the same as what you would find on a modern game, and are intuitive for the most part.

For games like Fallout though, the controls are much different and can feel clunky as a result.

One other problem Fallout has, is that it's rules are more similar to a tabletop game than a video game, which means reading the manual is almost required to get a good understanding of whats going on and how to play.
However, once you read the manual and adjust to the controls, the game becomes much more fun and enjoyable

Anyways, thats been my experience.
>>
Why is /vr/ getting worse and worse every day?
>>
Because nintendo quality

That said, some people can't stand SM64 or OOT today.

Also, what the fuck did you just said about Deus Ex.
>>
>>2904025
Buddy, I'm not saying these are the absolute best threads ever, but they do post something interesting every once and a while.

The main problem these threads have is the fact that they're opinion based, and people like you like to shitpost in them.
>>
How come games like OOT and Super Mario 64 aged like shit and are no longer fun to play while games like Fallout 1, Boulders Gate, and Deus Ex are hella fun and still enjoyable to this day?

I don't know, OP. Justify your own opinions.
>>
>>2903852
You named PC games as the ones that aged like dog shit. Well there you have it, brother.

PC games in general are VERY fad driven. To this day, in fact.
They follow whatever "standards" are currently around, and just try to be prettier, longer, and at various points in history, they focused on lame ass gimmick gameplay mechanics (like gravity guns)

The developers of said games are also used to working on a platform with barely any limitations. So if they think of something, they just do it. Consoles have always been different. PSX games that came out in 1999 (for example) were designed to run on hardware that was 6 years old at that time, and with no upgrades and alterations able to be made to said hardware. And yet, they looked WORLDS better than gen 1 PSX games. Far better gameplay too, It was because devs had to get creative to pull that kind of power and optimization out of the thing. While PC devs just shat out generic garbage like nobody's business for untold years. Always on hardware with ever increasing specs. Never once forcing them to think outside the box, or go a non-standard route to do anything.

Basically, PC devs are trendy, spoiled little cuntbags, and always have been.
The only PC games that genuinely stand the test of time are things like Doom, that literally cemented an entire genre, and was basically elemental in it's execution. A game designed by people who clearly loved and were excited about what they were doing. But that kind of passion is rare these days.
>>
>>2904084
While some of your post made sense, I couldn't finish reading it once you devolved into spouting vulgarity like an insecure child. Hidden.
>>
>>2904084
This is a nintendo thread so take your sonypony fanboyism to /v/.
>>
>>2903852
None of them aged like shit
>>
>>2903852
It's Baldur's Gate you fucking moron, and no it's still great
>>
>>2904231
you responded to obvious bait with Boulder's Gate, unless your post was in fact also bait in which case kudos
>>
Because OoT is better than those other games, duh.
>>
>>2903852

all of the games you mentioned are awesome games

maybe im getting old but im sick and tired of the MY OPINION IS SUPREME mentality on 4chan and well, the rest of the internet
>>
>>2904335
>all of the games you mentioned are awesome games

And that's how you know it's bait.
>>
>>2904231
>>2904306
When I first heard someone say "Baldur's Gate" I thought he said "Bowser's Gate"
>>
Majora's Mask was better.
>>
>>2903885
What's /VR/? Newfaggot
>>
>>2903852
>Deus Ex
>aged like shit
Literally kill yourself.
>>
File: 94f.png (86KB, 625x626px) Image search: [Google]
94f.png
86KB, 625x626px
>>2904440
>>
>>2903854
>>
>>2904454
It didn't even have to ag>>2904456
e desu because it was always shit.
>>
>>2904495
Ducking phone posting ugh
>>
>>2904025
Because you bitch and moan all day and night. Shut it.
>>
File: 574789756734.jpg (912KB, 5000x5000px) Image search: [Google]
574789756734.jpg
912KB, 5000x5000px
>>2904025
/vr/ was never good.
>>
>>2903852
I think all of those games "aged" fine since they are made up of inorganic compounds and would take a very long time to actually degrade. That is what you meant right OP?

Fucking faggot
>>
>>2904084
Well said. I've always felt that PC games were a lot more generic than console games (although that's a harder claim to maintain today, because so many games either get simultaneously released on both or eventually ported to PC).
>>
>>2903852
Fallout and Baldur's Gate were garbage from day 1. Deus Ex is still pretty good though.
>>
>>2904084
I mainly can't stand the dirt aesthetics and crummy gameplay, wretched combat of Crpgs. Tabletop faggotry is just the worst and it's good that the genre is more or less dead in video games.
>>
>>2904869
Agreed
>>
>>2904841

We only need a mod to delete /v/ tier bait threads and ban retarded monkeys like the crt x lcd guy, the "metal slug is shit because 30 fps" guy, the "let's shit at every sega thread" guy, the "overrated games? I begin with MGS" guy and every kind of kid like that who try to put their jokes in more than one thread.
>>
>>2904886
honestly i wish mods would be more militant. i know i would be banned, a lot. i do not really notice it but i do shitpost 99 percent of the time
>>
>>2904436
:/
>>
>>2904886
Er, if anything, the mods could be a little less militant. I notice that threads about the prices of retro games keep getting deleted, even though that seems like a perfectly relevant topic for this board. Someone complained that a thread about game glitches got deleted, although I wasn't there to see it.

Anyway, back on topic. I wonder if some of the PC vs console divide is due to Japanese vs Western developers? Since most console classics are from Japanese developers and most PC classics are from Western developers.

I've always leaned towards Japanese developers because a lot of Western games feel, for lack of a more detailed explanation right now, generic to me (inb4 all anime is the same). There are some pretty good things happening in the modern Western indie scene though.
>>
>>2905083
Remember, you had access to all western games, good and bad. You only had access to the mid-high/high tier Japanese games from big companies because no one's gunna localize all the generic trash that was churned out over there, too.
>>
>>2903852
Its atmosphere is more enjoyable than the games you mentioned, I believe. I don't actually like several things about OOT (Dull overworld,
simplistic puzzles, among others) but I always end up going back to it because of how it feels.
>>
I played Fallout 1 recently and loved it. I also tried BG2 recently and couldn't get into it.

Not sure what that contributes to the thread, if anything. Gonna give BG2 another try soon.
>>
>>2904025
/v/ flooding in, and mods either not doing anything or only doing the wrong things. Mods on 4chan in general have gotten bored and barely even visit the site.
>>
>>2903852
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b55wuVsnInk
>>
File: 1441286578821.jpg (44KB, 600x465px) Image search: [Google]
1441286578821.jpg
44KB, 600x465px
>Deus Ex

Damn.
>>
>>2905098
That's a good point, but I've still played significantly more Japanese games I liked than Western games. Surely you'd expect Western games to be even more impressive if I have greater access to them, no?

There actually are Western games I really like (Team Fortress 2 is in my top 5 games ever), but all of my examples are non-retro.
>>
>>2904848
Stupid ass joke
>>
>>2903871
It feels great.
Also speedruns. Theres no limit.
>>
Because skill-based games (like platformers and other action games) are far more replayable than story-based games (like RPGs). Once you get the story in a story-based game, you're pretty much done with it, but with a skill-based game, you want to keep playing so you keep getting better at it.
>>
File: 1448911340998.png (121KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1448911340998.png
121KB, 300x300px
>>2907009
>only action games are skill based games
>>
>>2904869
>>2904883
I also agree. As tollish as >>2904084 is, there is very real truth to it. I've never played a PC game that felt as polished or unique as the better console games. All the biggest PC games are very engine driven, you can tells that the tech guys have created some generic system and tools and then the art guys have come in and made content for it. With a game like Zelda, you don't get that at all, instead everything about it feels tailored, unique and integrated, and there's nothing on the PC that offers the equivilent.
>>
File: abigailbritanny02.jpg (19KB, 480x385px) Image search: [Google]
abigailbritanny02.jpg
19KB, 480x385px
>>2907049
>There are skill intensive RPGs without action
>>
>>2908593
Sure there are, they're called roguelikes.
>>
File: ChessSet.jpg (439KB, 820x760px) Image search: [Google]
ChessSet.jpg
439KB, 820x760px
>>2908593
>Muh reflexes
>Muh twitch based action games

One is muscle memory, the other is rule memorization, neither is inherently more difficult to acquire than the other otherwise we would all be chess masters or professional gamblers.
>>
>>2903852
Because you are a faggot casual.
>>
>>2904019
I agree. To add to your point, I found playing the original Deus ex not fun due to the almost weightless feel of movement. That quake era of fps games i never liked.
>>
>>2908963
Not him but surely the problem with saying one is more difficult is really with the definition of the word "difficult". You cannot seriously claim that all things that require skill are equal or "we'd all be professional" in them.
>>
>>2908591
eh, I dunno, I think it's really subjective and based on how much you actually know about the game in question.

for example, until I played thief gold, I couldn't "feel the engine" in system shock 2, because I had no reference as to what the specific traits of the engine were.

conversely, after getting into glitching and rom hacking, I can definitely "feel the engine" in the 64 zeldas and Mario 64. the collision detection, the level architecture, the scene-room way things are designed...you can definitely tell one is using a modified version of the prior engine.

also, rareshit collectathons are all the same, be it with bird and bear, monkeys or an alcoholic squirrel.
>>
The camera controls in SM64 make it unplayable.

I have spent hours trying to get used to it to no avail

shit is garb yo
>>
File: nigel laugh.png (1MB, 2197x1463px) Image search: [Google]
nigel laugh.png
1MB, 2197x1463px
>>2903852
>go back to SM64 or OOT
>blisterly fast 17-20fps
>>
>>2903852
because games used to be treated with love and care. games were made not for graphics, but for story and gameplay. now everything is an interactive movie.
games were made by gamers, for gamers. but now they're made by fucking suits.
>>
>>2910748
he's not saying modern games are shit and old games are good. he's saying old PC games are shit and old console games are good.

I.e. games from the same "for gamers by gamers" era are shit just because of platform.
Thread posts: 67
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.