[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Gameboy screen streaks

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: gameboy screen streaks.png (2MB, 1425x1223px) Image search: [Google]
gameboy screen streaks.png
2MB, 1425x1223px
So I've had this Gameboy since about 1995 and it's been stored in a box for a while, and when I found it again to try to play it, it had these weird streaks on the screen.
Adjusting the contrast didn't help much, and when looking up the problem, I could only find a problem where there were dead pixels and dead lines, whereas these lines aren't dead and can move on the screen. There was nothing in the stickied threads links that would help either. Maybe I'm just bad at looking things up. It does it with several games. Do any of you know how to fix this?
Pic related. It's the gameboy.
>>
What am I suppose to see here?
>>
>>2903759
The screen has vertical dark streaks on it. I think the last picture is the easiest to see. Or the bottom left, you can clearly see dark lines.
>>
>>2903740
check the connections to the lcd after dis-assembly of the case or replace the lcd.
>>
>>2903759

Horrible soupy green shit, because the Pocket was better in every way.
>>
>>2903740
Looks like the strip under the screen needs to be heated to form a flush connection to the screen and backboard. There are some tutorial videos on youtube. You have to be really careful, one slip up and buh bye gameboy.
>>
>>2903740

this is common with the original gameboy. the screen starts dying with time. ain't shit you can do but fix it or get another one.
>>
>>2903775
>>2903847
It looks like you're right. I tried cleaning a bunch of the connections, but it seems to be mainly with the LCD. The edges of the LCD have a little browning as well, so it does look like it hasn't aged too well. But thank you guys for the help.
>>
>>2903740
That is odd. It seems to line up with the graphics - look at the Nintendo screen and see how the light streaks line up with the thicker vertical parts of the characters. I'm wondering if it is a connection issue.

My Pocket seems to do something similar, though not as noticeable from my recollection and I think it was dark streaks instead of light. I kinda just figured that was how the Pocket LCD looked (and for all I know that is how they look since I have nothing to compare it to).

My second grey brick from childhood doesn't seem to have this issue.
>>
File: 1431658925633.png (12KB, 374x340px) Image search: [Google]
1431658925633.png
12KB, 374x340px
They don't call them DMGs for nothin'!
>>
What's likely happening is the connections from the board to the screen itself are becoming bad. the good news is that this is actually fixable if you're savvy with with a soldering iron you can reseat them by very carefully rubbing the connections very quickly.
>>
>>2904242
>That is odd
No. It's common as fuck.
>>
>>2904273
But not the conector on the right side of the screen.
>>
>>2903740
Heat up pencil tip soldering iron. Take a bit of solder flux paste and smear it along the lcd connection. Briskly move your soldering iron across the connection to rebridge.
>>
File: screen connections.png (1MB, 1437x640px) Image search: [Google]
screen connections.png
1MB, 1437x640px
>>2904273
Which one of these parts do you mean? There is also another connection between the LCD and the board. I'm assuming that you don't mean the second one in the picture, but I added it as well.
>>
>>2904850
I don't have any flux. Do you think it would be okay to clean with rubbing alcohol?
>>
>>2905646
http://www.retrofixes.com/2013/07/fix-vertical-lines-in-gameboy-screens.html
>>
>>2905648
That won't help but it will do less damage than if you try the advice you were given. It's a really hillbilly fix and many people end up burning the cable. If you have a temperature controlled iron with a wide head it would be a lot less silly.
>>
>>2903847
What he said. :(
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.