[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you use arcade sticks for general /vr/ gaming and not just

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 14

File: tfw no vlx.jpg (568KB, 3296x2472px) Image search: [Google]
tfw no vlx.jpg
568KB, 3296x2472px
Do you use arcade sticks for general /vr/ gaming and not just for fighting games/shmups/mame?

I've found it works really well. Mega Man games in particular feel really nice.
>>
>>2900286
Love em for fighters and beat em ups and often enough for platformers.

Really have been meaning to pick up an NES advantage because it translates well to most NES games too and I haven't used one since something like 1995.

It really does something to make the game feel more lively
>>
Beat'em ups gain a lot with arcade sticks.
>>
>>2900286
Most arcade style games benefit from a stick.

I like to use my SNES advantage for JRPG grinding since its the only turbo controller i own.
>>
>>2900286
No. But if I didn't have microswitch dpads I might.
>>
>>2900286
you meant the call the image 'tfw not retro'
>>
>>2900479
Are you baiting right now or just being stupid?
>>
>>2900286
I use a modded Madcatz SFIV Fightstick with a Seimitsu LS-32 for everything that doesn't require analog controls.
>>
>>2900490
It's for the Playstation 3. Why would you want to sneak Playstation onto the board?
>>
>>2900526
Could be used on a early model PS3 to play PSX games or with PSN rereleases of /vr/ games though. Who cares, not like the discussion was about PS3 in anyway, youre the only one discussing it.
>>
>>2900526
There's also custom pcbs. My stick looks like any run of the mill PS3 stick but it works on NES, SNES, PS1, etc. Avoid posting in threads when you don't know anything about the topic.
>>
Only for games where I want circular digital movement. For most stuff I use a keyboard.
>>
File: 1707512-hrap_3sa_w[1].jpg (16KB, 500x356px) Image search: [Google]
1707512-hrap_3sa_w[1].jpg
16KB, 500x356px
I got one of these, wish there was more space between the stick and the buttons.
>>
Non-retro but I wanted to attempt using this on stuff like Devil May Cry. The lock-on does not make it work, unfortunately and it was hard to map out buttons without things being a clusterfuck. Maybe in the newere Sengoku Basara games but yeah. Have not tried them outside of emulation/beat-em-ups/fighting games.

This thread reminded me of some guys who get to mod shit like a custom-built twinstick for Virtual On, and some dude selling a Saturn Twinstick.
>>
I used it for Symphony of the Night. Makes the techniques much easier.
>>
>>2900834

So does an actual d-pad.
>>
>>2900812
A stick would be terrible for DMC.

I can't remember the exact control scheme but its a ps2 game which means you have 2 sticks, and 10 buttons (including start/select)

That would be damn hard to coordinate on a control deck.

Some stuff a stick is better, sometimes a controller i sbetter
>>
File: UMVC3-Stick-PS3.jpg (35KB, 400x224px) Image search: [Google]
UMVC3-Stick-PS3.jpg
35KB, 400x224px
>>2900549
Can you show how you did this? maybe even a shot of the inside? I'm interested in doing this myself with my own UMvC Hori stick pic related
>>
>>2900784
wtf is circular digital movement
>>
File: IMG_20141006_120129.jpg (996KB, 2400x1420px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20141006_120129.jpg
996KB, 2400x1420px
>>2901043
I'd make a newer pic but I fucked up one of the screws on my stick ages ago and have been too lazy to fix it. I've got a PS360+ in my Madcatz round 2 TE which is completely solderless. All you do is cut the wires going to the buttons and the joystick, strip them, and screw them into the little terminals on the top. I think the process is a little different for Hori sticks but its still pretty simple.

If you want to reuse the original USB cable with the stick though, then you'll have to do a little soldering which can be a bit hard if you've never done it before, as evidenced by the shit job I did my first time around. You'll also need specialized RJ45 cables if you wanna connect it to legacy systems.
>>
>>2901046
Digital circular movement
>>
File: Stick mod plan.png (642KB, 1625x851px) Image search: [Google]
Stick mod plan.png
642KB, 1625x851px
>>2901056
That PS360+ looks good but is too expensive for me and i'm not really bothered about modern consoles. Here's what I plan to do.
>>
>>2901094
Yeah this makes no sense, do you mean like an analog stick?
>>
>>2901120
No, it's digital and not analog. There's only 4 or 8 directions but you move the stick in a circular movement, e.g. for a Hadouken.
>>
>>2901124
ah, I understand now, stuff that's hard as fuck with a nintendo style '+'
>>
I'm planning on getting an NES Advantage at some point mostly for my arcade shooters etc.
>>
>>2903897
Aren't they membrane based?
>>
I try to play everything on arcade stick if possible. I even ended up buying a stick with analog nubs to play more games on stick but the analogs aren't exactly in an optimal position. I would like to install a multiboard in it but I don't know if it would read the analog sticks.
>>
>>2904587
analog sticks are sub d-pad tier anon
>>
>>2904532
They are
>>
File: v3.jpg (315KB, 1614x984px) Image search: [Google]
v3.jpg
315KB, 1614x984px
I mainly use this but I have a Madcatz TE Pro as well, I like the lighter, smaller V3 more.
>>
File: IMG_1589.jpg (252KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1589.jpg
252KB, 1000x667px
>>2901118
i was about to do what you were doing but with a breadboard. it was a nightmare. Honestly, get a cthulu pcb for $35. If you dont need modern consoles, it will make your life so much easier.

also bumping with my home made weapon of choice.
>>
I really gotta get around to building an arcade stick. One of these days I'll do that.

Only problem is I'd want it to be compatible with every system. I wonder if there's some sort of USB adapter that turns a USB controller into being able to work on a combination of saturn, dreamcast, etc.
>>
>>2905345
You can get a ps360+ or cthulu pcb. Basically, it already works for like consoles from nes - > ps3
all you need to do is buy your usb -> dreamast port and plug it in and youre ready to go.
>>
File: DoAstick.jpg (70KB, 1280x1280px) Image search: [Google]
DoAstick.jpg
70KB, 1280x1280px
>>2905347
Damn, that's cool. And it will work with the little analog sticks too?

Also, lever-modded Hayabusa is worth the investment.
>>
>>2905938
those analog sticks probably wont work. as cool as they are, the pcbs i mentioned only accept digital inputs.

if you want to keep them you could get a slew of controller adapters from ps2 -> whatever
>>
>>2905347
sweet, I'll keep this in mind
>>
>>2905340
Thats an interesting design there.
What are the dimensions? How did you achieve something so small?
>>
File: IMG_1588.jpg (248KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1588.jpg
248KB, 1000x667px
>>2906051
god finally someone acknowledges my work

basically, i had enough plexi, wood and buttons left over from a previous stick i made to probably make a smaller one.

its basically the same dimensions as the hori mini fighting stick, around 7x9. Except mine only has 6 24mm buttons.

Bundled the cables i could together and sleeved them with heat shrink to make it clean.

This one ended up being my primary and I love it.
>>
File: DSCF0783.jpg (460KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
DSCF0783.jpg
460KB, 1280x960px
Fixed iron frame
>>
>>2906226
>Fixed
You're broken if you think anything in that monstrosity of a pic could be described as fixed.
>>
>>2906060
>acknowledges my work
You took some shitty wood, and some plexiglass that's cut janky as fuck, and used some fucking screws, bought some buttons and no doubt a premade arcade pcb.

Must be nice to be in highschool shop again, did you get your A? Or are they even giving letter grades anymore?
>>
>>2905347
Where do you get USB - Dreamcast adapters etc?
>>
>>2906340
http://www.focusattack.com/10-foot-black-dreamcast-to-rj45-cable/

theyve got some for ps2 and some other consoles.

you might have to make your own if you want snes or nes or saturn. just grab an extension cable and strip the wire
>>
>>2906284
now now be nice anon-kun
>>
File: IMG_3243.jpg (344KB, 1632x1101px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3243.jpg
344KB, 1632x1101px
>>2905340
>>2906060
Cool, I like smaller designs like this. Does it move around a lot on your lap or do you use it on a desktop/table?

Here's the first art I put on my Pro.
>>
>>2906696
Super cute theme there dude.

Loved that game even if it's not technically /vr/ everything about it feels /vr/.
>>
>>2906060
I'm looking to make something just like this but without the shit parts the hori mini got.
I don't understand why there arent more small sticks.
Are these 24mm buttons perhaps?
What stick and pcb are you using?
>>
>>2900526
>Why would you want to sneak Playstation onto the board?

This passive aggressive nintentoddler
>>
File: IMG_1620.jpg (578KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1620.jpg
578KB, 1000x667px
>>2906696
nah, it sits pretty comfortable in my lap. I tend to put more force with the bottom of my wrists so everything stays in one spot. Also I can pop it on my desk and adjust my chair height and because its not very tall its pretty comfy to use on a desktop too. It can slide around on the wood because the bottom is just plexi, I never felt the need to install rubber feet.

>>2906763
they are indeed 24mm buttons, pcb is a ps360+
heres an under shot.
It uses a sanwa jlf 87-TP stick or something along the lines of that.
And then all the wires are organized by row;
top (punches +start,select) kicks, and directional. and then organized with some wire sleeve and heat shrink over to make sure it doesn't fray.
If you want some dimensions or tips ask away. I really love the form factor.
>>
Never for general gaming. how awful.
>>
>>2906226
>that neo geo stick
all my hate
>>
Is the only difference between the Cthulhu and the PS360+ the 360 support? I'm thinking of taking the plunge with my Tatsunoko stick and making it multi-console.
>>
>>2912648
yeah basically.
get the cthulu.
the tatsunoko stick always looked nice to me.
>>
Does anyone know what kind of microswitch I should take on happ/IL style buttons for it to feel just like the arcades? Is it the 75g cherry?
>>
File: SJ6600front.jpg (46KB, 602x376px) Image search: [Google]
SJ6600front.jpg
46KB, 602x376px
>be me
>finally get a SEGA CD and Final Fight CD
>"Well I am going to need a arcade stick for this..."
>do some research
>Six button controller for Genesis looks okay
>Wonder if its a micro switch....
>its not
>keep researching
>find out that only the Japanese models of the 3 button and 6 button arcade sticks all came with micro switch josticks
>check ebay
>100$+ lose and rusted on the bottom
fuck
>>
>>2912652
Okay, I'm going for it.

Tatsunoko is a good stick. Pretty small compared to the average Hori or Madcatz TE but it has a good weight and is super easy to upgrade, unlike many recent smaller-built sticks.

>>2913053
Should be the cherry. What are you putting them in?

>>2913061
You'd probably be better off doing a pad hack. Alternatively, I think the DOCS Arcade Command is switched, and those are still 20 new on eBay, but I don't know about the build quality.
>>
>>2913127
>Should be the cherry. What are you putting them in?
Nothing, I'm just an autismo who's obsessed with buttons and I want one just because they feel nice to press.
I'm ordering sanwas for a HRAP4 and I figured I might as well get one while I'm already ordering to have around and maybe compare for future projects.

I don't like actually playing with western buttons as much but fuck, they're satisfying to push, I love the click and spring rattle
>>
>>2906060
My god this stick is ugly, but for some reason I like it. It would have actually been a lot nicer if you would have treated the wood better. Some stain, sanding and some finish. And actually used some thumbscrews instead of that awful velcro. I enjoy your functional ugly duckling.
>>
>>2900286
I played a bit of Shovelknight with mine (not retro but whatever), I find it works really well for the megadrive collection on steam too.

I actually kind of prefer the Ps3 dualshock for Shmumps, those sticks just feel so good with that genre.
>>
>>2906696
Aha, if Dream vs Dream ever gets finished you've got the best stick available for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-0Xkcpq6nY
Thread posts: 61
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.