[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Buying N64 games

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 4

File: 3tb8bXL.png (442KB, 1132x476px) Image search: [Google]
3tb8bXL.png
442KB, 1132x476px
Ebay prices seem astronomically high.

My local game stores don't price much better, they are usually piss poor condition cartridges as well.

What do I do?
>>
Make more money or buy a flashcart.
>>
>>2897975
Everdrive, son.
>>
>>2897975
1.Buy an Everdrive v3
2. Get an RGB modded N64
3. xrgb framemeister or CRT
4. stop being a faggot
>>
Flushcart.
>>
>>2897998
I have all those.

Everdrive is fucking stupid, I would just emulate if I was going to emulate.
>>
I haven't bought any retro games for any systems for I'd say a little over a year now.
I take it prices all-around keep creeping up and no bubbles have burst yet?

Anyway, N64 has been expensive. I'm afraid to look on ebay and see if it's gotten worse recently, but just take my word that it's been pricey for quite some time now. There are a couple of issues at hand Main issue is that It's nintendo and 99% of the good games are made by nintendo. Nintendrones gonna drone, and ninty stuff is always far more expensive than it has any right to be. But the demand is high so that's how it is. There's also the fact that N64 emulation being pretty shit, meaning there is more reason to play on the actual hardware, especially for stuff not on VC. And of course there's always the reason that the people who grew up with N64 are now in their mid 20s and getting big boy jobs for the first time and instead of spending it on hookers and blow like they should, they're spending it on games from their childhood
>>
>>2897975
best place to get n64 games is EMULATE THEM
>>
>>2898041
no it's not, it's Everdrive
>>
File: 1441370899665.gif (14KB, 500x596px) Image search: [Google]
1441370899665.gif
14KB, 500x596px
>>2898041
>I wasn't alive back when the N64 came out and can't understand why anyone would want to rebuild their collection from their childhood
>>
>>2898021
Everdrive isn't a fucking emulator you moron, get a complete sealed N64 collection while you're at it, about as useful as what you want to do>>
>>
>>2898027
>i want all the games
>games are far more expensive than they had any right to be
Listen Bernie Sanders supporter, it's called living in a free market economy and video games wouldn't exist if you didn't grow up in one, so don't bitch.

N64 games were cheap for a few years but on the front end were significantly more expensive than they are now, WAHHH I CAN"T PAY SIGNIFICANTLY BELOW MSRP.

get an Everdrive, have literally every single game ever released plus games that we had no access to originally and STFU

and get off my lawn
>>
>>2898064
so rebuild your collection, unless you're a sealed collector everything is cheaper than when it came out, save for about 3 games
>>
File: trump bernie pepe.jpg (38KB, 469x331px) Image search: [Google]
trump bernie pepe.jpg
38KB, 469x331px
>>2898074
I'm a trump man, senpai. I never said anything disparaging about the free market. All I said is that N64 games are too expensive for me personally.

Note that I'm not OP and I'm not the one bitching that games are too expensive now. All I did was list several factors, one of which is increased demand.
>>
>>2898076
This here. I rather pay $30 for Mario 64 than $60 for the latest triple A junk released these days that will plummet to less than $10 a year from now.
>>
>>2898074
n64 is going to get triple A fucked when the nostalgia sets in. I remember carts being $65+ at retail. combined with cardboard boxes and paper manuals, shits going to be expensive to get again,yo
>>
>>2898074
>it's called living in a free market economy
Copyright law is the exact opposite of a free market economy.
>>
>>2898068
This desu.
Everdrive isn't emulation, it loads a roam into the cartridge via flash memory, and plays like the original cartridge and is basically the original cartridge.
>>
>>2899142
Not to mention you won't need to solder up a new save battery.
>>
>>2897975
http://shop.krikzz.com/EverDrive-64-v3-ED64V30.htm

http://shop.krikzz.com/EverDrive-64-v25-ED64V25.htm
>>
This bubble needs to burst, and soon. The only games I really want to own are a few old titles I had on the 64 that got lost over the years. I'm fine with emulating/everdriving everything else, but goddamn.
>>
>>2899157
>$167
>$99

Jesus, have they always been this expensive? I just assumed they'd be somewhere between $20-$40.
>>
>>2898074
>MUH CAPITALISM
>just buy an Everdrive and steal everything, liberal faggot
>>
>>2899758
go buy the games you're supposed to on Wii U virtual console, lelz
>>
>>2899652
It's not a bubble if you and every other idiot wants their collection back, prices will go up not down, better buy soon
>>
>>2899656
They're literally the cost of 2 games brand new in 1996, get a job or a new hobby
>>
>>2899652
>>2899758
get Bernie Sanders to force Nintendo to fabricate carts again so prices come down, maybe he'll create a constitutional amendment for you guys
>>
>>2898064
I was very much alive. I actually do have a collection of n64, unfortunately I cant get all the games I once had because resellers wont let them go for what they are really worth. Im trying to save OP the stress of paying 100 dollars for one cart(conker?) and so on
>>
>>2899962
They're worth what people are willing to pay for them
>learn 2 economics

They're fucking cheaper than they were when they came out, do you need a sealed copy?
>>
>>2899962
Games that are higher than original MSRP (not even adjusting for inflation)
Conker's Bad Fur Day
Worms 3D
Bomberman Second Attack
>>
>>2897975
Emulate or get a flashcart.

N64 prices are not high, especially if you just buy the loose cart without the box. I think there are relatively few good games over $50 or $60 for just the cart. Be thankful you're not collecting SNES or TG16 games.
>>
>>2900007
SNES games are mostly cheaper than original MSRP (not counting for inflation)

Only truly expensive games are:
Hagane
Ninja Gaiden Trilogy (a stupid fucking game to get)
Castlevania Dracula X
Earthbound
>>
>>2900020
Actually there's about 10 more but thank god we have perfect emulation and flashcarts so only complete collectorfag johnnycomelatelys should care
>>
>>2897998
The everdrive would be nice. But the rest wont hurt.
>>2898021
Its actual hardware. but whatevs
>>2899758
>stealing
Yeah I'm sure EA is gonna sue because I downloaded Fifa 64. Also, your just backing up games and have to delete them in 24 hours if you dont own the original. dummy.
>>
>>2900020
Yeah, this is true. Granted you'll often be paying more than original MSRP for CiB games. But there's no point in complaining about CiB prices. There's not even a point in complaining about loose cart prices when we have emulation, they're luxury items for people with the money to play the collecting game.
>>
>>2899758
I'm about as anti-piracy as you can get when it comes to new games, but even I don't see anything wrong with pirating old games. The game is literally not for sale anymore by the original developers, it's much better to continue to make the game available to new players than to have it disappear into the sands of history.
>>
I honestly don't get /vr/ and this stingy-ness with their cash.

If you want a game, then buy it. Why does the cost matter if its something you want? Its up to you to decide if YOU are willing to pay that much, not what someone else is.

If you don't want it, and just want to play the game, then emulate it or invest in a flaschart

People who buy games are those who want them because they know they'll make good use of em, play them often, make the purchase worthwhile.

If you're one of those box collector fags who has to have the game manual and case just to throw it up on a shelf, then you deserve to waste as much money as you see fit.

You buy a game to play a game and or enjoy it. not make it a shelf piece.
>>
>>2900063
The majority of retro games can be found in the bargain bin for $5-10, so people are somewhat legitimately confused when they see old games selling for their original MSRP or higher.

It's just supply and demand. Lots of people want these games, and the supply is finite and constantly shrinking.
>>
>>2900068
>The majority of retro games can be found in the bargain bin for $5-10.

Back in 2004-2009 sure. But ever since Retro became popular again people have raised the prices. If people are complaining abou not being able to get $80 MSRP carts for $5-$10 anymore, well tough shit. Times change and they need to adapt.
>>
>>2900071
You're right. I was mainly thinking about the stacks of PS2 games you can get for super cheap, which I forgot isn't retro by this board's definition. It would probably be difficult to find cheap N64 and SNES carts now (I did just pick up Star Fox for $10 though). Lots of NES, Genesis, and Game Boy games can still be had for cheap.
>>
>>2900080
The way I see it is this:

You pay nearly $60-$70 MSRP for a new gen game these days which usually has little to no replayability, 8 hours worth of content, and usually segemnted by DLC chapters.

Why pay that? when I can get two classic games I know for a fact I'll enjoy, and revisit several times over, and enjoy for far more then just an 8 hour timesink, for about $10-$30 each?

It comes out the same, and I still feel like I profited. Not to mention, say I don't end up liking the game I bought.

If I bought a new gen game, i'd be able to bring it back for 30% store credit, 20%of my cash refund.

If I sell back a retro game, my competition is at the same base value, So while i don't need to oversell, I can still sell it back for aboput the price I bought it for, ie: $20 = $20

And then find something else to get.
>>
>>2900095
Yeah, no.
Most games are around the $30-$40 mark after a few months.
Heck, Assassin's Creed Unity for xbone is less than $20.
>>
>>2900105
because it sold poorly. Companies pay to keep those games at specific cselling rates.

Ever notice how nintendo games never drop below $45 for almost 4 years? Hell Kirby Wii games and Mario Galaxy are STILL $40
>>
>>2897975
Here's what you do: bide your time. Go to that game store and offer them a low price. If they decline the offer, come back later (maybe in a month). If the game hasn't sold by that time, offer them a price that's higher than your previous offer. If they say no this time, wait a little longer. Check back within a week, or a month, and give them a final offer. There's a better chance they'll take this offer because the game hasn't sold at the price the shop owner wants.

Be ready to walk away from the deal. Wait a little, be patient, but keep making them an offer. Eventually, they'll cave and give you the game at the price you want, or the price you're willing to spend.
>>
>>2900149
>Eventually, they'll cave and give you the game at the price you want, or the price you're willing to spend.
No. Most retro game stores I've seen are gouging the fuck out of consumers because they know retro shit is so high in demand right now. I've made offers on stuff, walked away, and come back in a week. Whatever I made an offer on was already sold. Every time. The market is absolute shit right now thanks to all the 90s hipster kids.
>>
>>2899994
So you agree that a used cart of Ocarina of Time is worth $40-$50 because that is all I am finding around my area
>>
>>2900149
>>2903094
>gouging
learn 2 economics

you can't gouge people for "wants", if they were charging $50 for a bottle of water in the aftermath of a natural disaster you'd have a point
>>
>>2903105
It's a game that was quite literally a system seller that if people have an N64 they want people to have in their collection.

Based on inflation it's original MSRP of around $60 the game is undervalued and should go for $90. Enjoy your 50% discount to play a classic
>>
>>2903094
>Whatever I made an offer on was already sold.
Every time.
>eBay auction for game I want at $45
>too much
>"Make offer" of $25
>declined, no counteroffer
>offer $30
>declined, no counteroffer
>offer $35
>declined. counteroffer of $43
Why even put the option to haggle?

>>2903105
Looking at most popular retro games like that, they really shouldn't cost that much because, damn, they're almost 20 years old, but at the same time, based on intrinsic value, I'd say Ocarina of Time is totally worth $40-$50. Despite all the memes and hate, it's a fucking stellar game.

I still have most of my old game collections from growing up, and own most of the games I would ever want, but at the same time there are some outliers that I never bought because I couldn't afford them, or, alternatively, my mother wouldn't buy so many video games for me. Often I borrowed a lot of games from friends and played them like that. I'm just kicking myself, now. I used to go to flea markets and shit with my grandpa all the time 15-20 years ago, and they were absolutely overflowing with cheap SNES and N64 games. Only thing I think I ever bought was copies of StarFox and Ecco for 5 bucks each, still new in the box.
>>
>>2903094
>90s hipster kids complaining about other 90s hipster kids
>80s kid here, get the fuck off my lawn
>>
>>2903105
http://videogames.pricecharting.com/game/nintendo-64/zelda-ocarina-of-time#completed-auctions

learn2ebay

You can get games for prices well below average if you're patient and put in bids instead of paying the Buy It Now prices.
>>
>>2903116
you're mad it's selling for market price instead of below market price, that's clearly the price if it always sells at that price

do you complain bread is expensive too and are waiting for the price to come down before you make a purchase?
>>
>>2903132
yes, markets fluctuate, i'm well aware, changes nothing I said
>>
>>2898041
Poor fag detected
>>
>>2900020
You have no idea what you're talking about as someone with a full snes ntsc collection you're missing a ton of pricey games
>>
>>2903094
>gouging the fuck out of consumers because they know retro shit is so high in demand right now.

This meme again.

Maybe we'll hit a point in the future where boxed SNES games can be had for bargain bin prices, I don't know. But the truly rare items like Stadium Events, Nintendo World Championship, and Magical Chase will hold their value and probably continue to increase it. In another 50 years or so when video games are more culturally mainstream, I imagine you'll see important artifacts from video game history going for outrageous prices, like vintage movie posters or first editions of classic books that sell for hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Video games ain't going anywhere.
>>
>>2903136
You said you could only find the game for $40-50 and I showed you multiple people in the past few days who bought it for $25. I was just trying to help put people who wanted to find cheaper prices.
>>
>>2897975

I'm normally against EverDrive shilling on /vr/, but I'd sooner give money for an overpriced Flash cart than I would give my money to greedy reseller scum. There may be more affordable N64 Flash carts out there as well, but you may want to do research on compatibility first.

>>2898041
>EMULATE THEM

Current N64 emulators are garbage, and that's how the scene is probably going to stay for years to come.

If the only N64 titles you intend to play are first-party games like Mario or Zelda, then you could also consider buying a cheap, used Wii, bananabomb it and download some Virtual Console releases for it. Should be more affordable then investing in actual N64 hardware on top of a Flash cart. Nintendo's own N64 emulator isn't all that bad, aside from occasional sound distortions in some games.
>>
>>2903149
Greedy for wanting half of what people paid in the 90s, so greedy.
>>
>>2903142
There are like 25 pricey games for SNES, big shit, most of it is cheaper than it was when it came out

>AS SOMEONE WHO HAS A FULL SNES NTSC COLLECTION
jfc
>>
File: 1035x1281-GettyImages-475444140.jpg (93KB, 1035x1281px) Image search: [Google]
1035x1281-GettyImages-475444140.jpg
93KB, 1035x1281px
>>2903145
it wasn't me
>>
>>2903152
>full SNES ntsc collection

There was a guy, a developer on a SNES emulator, who collected a full SNES set for the sake of ripping the ROMs. I think it cost like $10k? Obviously a lot of money to spend on games, but nowhere near as pricey as, say, a full Atari 2600 collection.
>>
>>2897975
The emulator guys seem very hostile these days, what's up with that?

Anyway, unfortunately the market is what it is right now. I would suggest just buying the games you're really jonesing for before buying anything else, that way if you lose interest you're not more than ~$200 in the hole.
>>
>>2903158
Buying them in the 90s would have cost upwards of 30k so modern collectors can continue to suck cocks and complain
>>
>>2903136
hey your not me
>>
>>2903173
But I should be able to buy things of high value for next to nothing all the time without fail and no one else should be able to do the same ;_;
>>
>>2903162
They're not hostile, they're just not compassionate about people who just started collecting 15-20 years after the first wave of collecting became a thing and complain about "muh prices"

It's never been easier or cheaper to play video games ever. Sorry my heart doesn't break when people are whining that paying $150 for having access to every game for a system plus imports running perfectly is not good enough
>>
>>2903187
I should be able to buy Apple stock at 2003 prices which is $6.56 per share, because I'm a true stock connoisseur and these fakes that bought it after me are just that, investment posers, they don't appreciate the company like I do
>>
>>2903151

Butthurt reseller detected
>>
>>2903217
Poorfag born in 2003 detected, just get your mom to buy it for you
>>
>>2903217
Hahaha. I'm not that guy, but I've never resold a game in my life, and I still think people bitch too much about prices.

If you're getting it for below original MSRP, you have nothing to complain about.
>>
>>2903245
below MSRP without even factoring in inflation

these 90s and 2000s kids with their monopoly money ideas about things
Thread posts: 72
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.