[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tetris Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 12

File: tetris_32c5.jpg (97KB, 1167x723px) Image search: [Google]
tetris_32c5.jpg
97KB, 1167x723px
Let's talk about this game and all it's versions, everyone and their mother has played it, it has an universal appeal.
>favorite version
>favorite piece
>favorite spin-off
>favorite music theme
>>
File: Arika_tap_title.jpg (67KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
Arika_tap_title.jpg
67KB, 320x240px
>>2897424
The objectively best (ie. highest skill ceiling) widely available version is TGM3. The best on-topic for /vr/ version is TGM2+.
>>
>>2897424
Favorite version is any that doesn't have block holding. It's bullshit that's an official Tetris feature..

Fave piece is long one of course.

Fave spin off is Tetrisphere.

I like all the music, but pick C most often.

Favorite game type is Type B, 5 high and level 9 in the original. That's some crazy fun trying ti clear the blocks and stay alive.
>>
>>2897445
>Favorite version is any that doesn't have block holding. It's bullshit that's an official Tetris feature..
Block holding raises skill ceiling because it requires more thought and lets you play at higher speeds.
>>
>>2897468
I completely disagree. Being able to get the long piece and just hold it there till you have a Tetris ready almost destroys the game in my opinion.
>>
File: dancinglilrusskies.jpg (28KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
dancinglilrusskies.jpg
28KB, 480x360px
NES Tengen just because of the dancers and Bradinsky
>>
>>2897475
So I assume you have TGM3 GM status, right?
>>
>>2897489
Where did I imply that? I haven't played that version, but every version of Tetris I've played with block holding I haven't liked it.

If you're some grand master super tetriser and you like block holding then good for you, but I've never liked it.
>>
>>2897437
>TGM
>sliding, multiple rotations, semi-predictable randomization, holding, etc.
>highest skill ceiling

I would say they added features to make the game more competitive between players. As for the highest skill ceiling, that's up for debate. We still haven't compare playthroughs between different Tetris games.
>>
File: Tetris (U).png (4KB, 256x240px) Image search: [Google]
Tetris (U).png
4KB, 256x240px
>>2897424
>tetris nes
>L
>the new tetris
https://youtu.be/xZK0IL5Zw7s
GOAT song, hands down
>>
File: 4L_RaEEkduL.jpg (107KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
4L_RaEEkduL.jpg
107KB, 1280x720px
>>2897424
Tetris Battle Gaiden on Super Famicom is the only game I've ever imported. That shit is crazy fun. Maybe my favorite couch multiplayer game. It's the reason I cut the tabs off my SNES. Granted, it's a very different experience than regular Tetris, but it's super enjoyable.
>>
I really enjoy playing the version of Tetris that's on the Tetris + Dr. Mario SNES cart. My girlfriend plays it with me often. She generally wins (I destroy her in Dr. Mario and Tetris Attack though)
>>
>>2897686

What's so special about it? What sets it apart from regular Tetris?

Also, is there anywhere I can read about the algorithms behind the piece spawning? I noticed that, in the SNES version at least, the game seems to give you more long blocks as you come closer to the top. Am I just imagining it? Is there a percentage behind the pieces and how often they spawn (not sure of a better word to use)?
>>
>>2897424
>Version
NES, though I've played a lot of phone versions over the years out of ease and portability
>Piece
What the fuck
>Spin-Off
I'm not sure I've played any
>Music Theme
The first song on the Game Boy version, the popular one. Always wished it was in the NES version.
>>
>>2897424
>Toss-up between BPS NES and TGM2+
>L Piece and Reverse L Piece
>Block Out
>Type B in Tetris/Dr. Mario
>>
>>2897706
It's a 1v1 multiplayer Tetris where you each pick a specific character who has a different set of power-ups that can help you or hurt your opponent. Each character also has different art and music. It leads to a lot of yelling and playful frustration. It's great.
>>
>>2897724

Sounds pretty fun. I'll download the ROM to try it out with my gf. We love blindly trying SNES games.
>>
File: 4L_vSQusIBs.png (55KB, 2560x1600px) Image search: [Google]
4L_vSQusIBs.png
55KB, 2560x1600px
>>2897734
Cool, enjoy! It's all in Japanese, so I have no idea what anything says, but I can tell you a couple pro tips.

1. Second player's character determines the art and music. Personally, I prefer Wolf Man's music, it's a dope jam.

2. Ninja Kid is incredibly overpowered. My friends and I have a running ban against him, it's practically cheating.
>>
What's a good retro version of Tetris for a beginner? I like Tetris but I'm not very good at it.
>>
>>2897972

The original version. Just play it until you get better. I'm sure there are some people here who can offer some tips, too, but I'm not one.

My only tip is to focus on clearing one line at a time, I guess, and don't hold out for specific pieces. They might not come until it's too late.
>>
>>2897972
I agree with >>2898004

I'd also suggest playing it slow and easy for a while. Tetris is as zen or as stressful as you want it to be.

The original Game Boy version is a real good place to start!
>>
>>2898004
>>2898191

Thanks guys!
So GameBoy and NES are what I'll try.

On NES which is better, the Nintendo or Tengen version?
>>
File: tetris.webm (859KB, 512x470px) Image search: [Google]
tetris.webm
859KB, 512x470px
>>2897482

This nigga knows.

Have a webm.
>>
>>2899780
Something has always just felt... Off... To me about the Nintendo version. I'd say Tengen.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cd_g8CLYoIc
>>
Pajitnov apparently developed the game on some Atari 8-bit Apple // hybrid.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TiB8qSty-Q
>>
I don't think it counts but my favorite version is Tetris Attack/Panel de Pon Super Bukkake.
>>
>Version
TGM 2+ or 3
>Piece
I
>Spin-Off
Puyo Puyo Tetris
>Music
Original GB
>>
I have this habit of only using one button to rotate even if I have two buttons available.
>>
File: bp1.jpg (286KB, 900x1200px) Image search: [Google]
bp1.jpg
286KB, 900x1200px
Got to visit Blue Startups a while ago, they have this in their entrance area. 1/2
>>
File: bp2.jpg (253KB, 900x1200px) Image search: [Google]
bp2.jpg
253KB, 900x1200px
>>2902541
The display case is right next to a window, so a lot of those boxes were pretty faded. 2/2
>>
>>2902541
>that gamepad thing with the flip phone
>>
>>2897424
Tengen two player head to head is unmatched.
Not retro but tetris worlds for gamecube was a good time.
>>
loved this one... multiplayer was really fun
>>
I remember a version of Tetris that had an adjustable width, some "special attacks", and a robot on the hud. What version was that?

Googling Tetris and Robot brings no relevant results. I played it in the 90s.
>>
>>2902541
>>2902548

I don't think I see a Tengen Tetris there.
>>
File: tetris-console.jpg (99KB, 480x410px) Image search: [Google]
tetris-console.jpg
99KB, 480x410px
>>
>>2905590
This is the only Tetris variant that was actually fun to play. It's not a replacement, but a compliment to the original. There are several dozen ways to construct perfect squares from tetraminos, and I find this to be both mathematically elegant and a great extension to the rules. The only beef I have with this game is that it favors building squares a little too heavily compared to normal line clears.
>>
File: The Next Tetris.jpg (63KB, 640x632px) Image search: [Google]
The Next Tetris.jpg
63KB, 640x632px
Loved both the classic and Next modes as well as the graphics, but the real selling point for me was the ability to use audio CDs as custom soundtracks.
>>
This awesome Tetris variant called Nyet. It allows you to buy powerups, boards and powers.

it can be found on abandonware boards
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.