/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Which one?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 122
Thread images: 10

File: 1987.png (97KB, 473x418px) Image search: [Google]
1987.png
97KB, 473x418px
Which one?
>>
>>2889963
Phantasy Star for me. It has better, more interesting themes and settings, and I like how there's a consistent plotline that has an immensely satisfying end. Final Fantasy has great gameplay ideas in some games, but it's like it's trying too hard when it comes to setting and plot. Phantasy Star has an understated, effortless style of pulling stuff that FF beats you over the head over and over in an attempt to manipulate you into caring about the plot. FF is good too, but PS is better for me.
>>
>>2889972
What order of Phantasy Star games would you recommend playing through?
>>
>>2889984

Wow, I can't believe there's people like this that exist. They didn't all come out at the same time and also have numbers to help you figure it out.
>>
>>2889995
No reason to be a little shit. They're not all gems.

>>2889984
4 is the best one by far and the biggest one I'd recommend. Aside from that I'd avoid 3, 2 is okay, 1 is pretty dated. If you're going to play 1 get a translation patch instead of playing the American version since the sound is seven shades of fucked there.
>>
>>2890001

He asked for what order. It's always going to be release order.

Now fuck off back to your hug box upboat site.
>>
File: profounddarkness3.gif (142KB, 320x168px) Image search: [Google]
profounddarkness3.gif
142KB, 320x168px
Phantasy Star by a country mile
>>
>>2889984
Phantasy Star (the SMS Power! translation. Make sure your emulator has FM sound enabled.)

(you could play the "Phantasy Star Gaiden" translated for the game gear if you REALLY want more of Phantasy Star 1's setting, but honestly it's kind of shit. I'd skip it.)

Phantasy Star II (Naflign re-translation)

Phantasy Star III (skipable, it's an unfinished game made by a then-new team of developers. If you really liked 1 and 2 and want some more setup for IV, play III. Whatever you could find on romhacking.net for it might improve the experience)

(you could play "Phantasy Star Adventure" translated for the Game Gear, it's like 20 minutes long and it's pretty meh. I'd skip it.)

Phantasy Star IV
>>
Apples and oranges.
>>
>>2890001
>1 is pretty dated
Bullshit. Name a better old school first person dungeon crawler. You're either into that genre or you're not, but that's like saying SMB is pretty dated because it's in 2D.
>>
>>2890081
this, i hate these pointless comparison threads, they inevitably lead to flame wars
>>
>>2890109
yeah, discussion is for faggots.
>>
>>2890114
Not him, but FF and PS are nothing alike.
>>
>>2890120
>fight monsters to gain levels and money
>swords and magic
>party of 4

they're pretty alike in a few ways
>>
>>2890171
So which one is better FFV or D&D Shadow over Mystara
>>
>>2890181
You're retarded and need to fuck off back to reddit with your hugbox shit.
>>
>>2890181
One of those isn't even an RPG, dickhead
>>
>>2890182
I'm not >>2890109 you shithead.

>>2890183
So? The only PS that can actually resemble a FF game is IV, it's the same fucking retarded thing.
>>
>>2889963
In which one can you FLY TO OTHER PLANTETS!?

I rest my case.
>>
Phantasy Star is much better.
>>
>>2890270
Final Fantasy 4, 8, and 13?
>>
Never played a Phantasy Star game other than the DC one.. Is IV really as good as people say? I need a new jrpg to get into for the new year.
>>
>>2889963
You'll find a larger audience for Phantasy Star here because they all cling to failed SEGA consoles
>>
>>2890385
Oh not you again. Why can't you just accept that we like PS better? Don't make this a brand war.
>>
>>2890376
>Is IV really as good as people say? I need a new jrpg to get into for the new year.
It's up there with Chrono Trigger as one of the best JRPGs of its generation. Earlier Phantasy Stars are still good but often hard to get into because they're pretty archaic, but IV still holds up if you're only used to more modern gameplay. Try it out and go in unspoiled, it's great and while playing earlier games lets you get references and enjoy it a bit more, it's not necessary at all.

>>2890373
Flying to the moon is certainly not "flying to other PLANETS".
>>
>>2890376
1 is a first person dungeon crawler a la Megami Tensei, 2 is pretty much 1 with another perspective. They're really fun if you're into that kind of stuff, if you only want a light hearted, plot centered adventure like most entry level jrpgs from snes play 4 and you wouldn't regret it. 3 had some interesting ideas but a poor execution.
>>
>>2890596
4 was fucking amazing. 1 was also crazy good. 2 was unplayabley bad and 3 was only a slight improvement.
>>
>>2890861
>2 was unplayabley bad and 3 was only a slight improvement

But 2 is great and vastly superior to 3.
>>
>>2890865
Yes. But being that 2 was UNPLAYBLE should say a lot. I dragged my ass through it long enough to get to the recorder in the biolab. That only took like 10 hours of awful.

I started the series with 4 because it was the only one I could find in my area and I grew up in the era of blockbuster rentals and very limited carts for sale. It set the bar very high for me. Went back and played 1 as soon as PC Emulation was a thing and it held up to 4. The others.. just horrible.
>>
>>2890001
2 feels way more dated than 1.
>>
Tough call, OP. I really love both series.

However, I almost never replay any FF games, preferring to just listen to the soundtrack or remixes instead. (Nobuo is a goddamned beast of a composer).

The only exception to this is the very first FF, which I do replay every so often. It may even be my favorite of them all. FFIV is another which is quick and fun.

But I replay all of the retro PS titles at various times each year, and am still going strong in PSO+ to this day.

I think it boils down to the fact that PS games are short and sweet and full of memorable tunes, like the first FF. The later games in the FF series get progressively longer and more involved. I'm just looking for something less complicated, I suppose.
>>
Dragon Quest
>>
>>2889963
That's a bit of an unfair comparison. FF has far more entries and therefore more good entries. But nothing Square have ever done topped PS4. PS1 also beats out all other 80's RPGs if you ask me.
>>
>>2889963
Phantasy Star easily. Never really cared about Final Fantasy aside from VII, which is still a great game but far from the best JRPG of the 90s.

>>2891895
Nobody cares about your Toriyama sameface series, fuck off.
>>
>>2892484
>Phantasy Star fans are this hostile and insecure
>>
>>2890385
>the console is what makes a game good
>SNES babbies logic
>>
As someone who holds the Phantasy Star series and it's lore in high regard, I would recomend you to play PSIII if you like the other games. The music, lore, and wordlbuilding makes it worth to get through. It's also a very sad game overall.
>>
Neither, SaGa.
>>
Phantasy Star might be my favorite videogame series ever, with 4 as my favorite videogame
>>
Shining Force.
>>
>>2893296
I'm getting my shit tossed around in the Dams right now, I hate having to use a map but honestly the random encounter rate (while exploitable, I know) is so damn unforgiving.

But I really respect PSII for making money mean something, and having equipment truly matter. But all dese party members are a bit overwhelming and I'm having a hard time getting into it.

I wanted to play through them all up to IV, and I thought PS was fucking fantastic, and I'm still immensely curious about PSIII. What do?
>>
File: 1451647065891.jpg (129KB, 630x700px) Image search: [Google]
1451647065891.jpg
129KB, 630x700px

Being that Phantasy Star 4 and Final Fantasy 4 are the best entries in each series

Not that the other games in their respective series aren't great but opinions
>>
PS = FF III
PS II = FF IV
PS III = FF V
PS IV = FF VI
>>
File: ni.png (74KB, 300x256px) Image search: [Google]
ni.png
74KB, 300x256px
>>2893379
>PS IV = FF VI
>>
>>2893449
Both are considered god tier RPGs for their generation, yea?
>>
>>2893458
>FF6
>God tier
Pham, just no
>>
>>2893468
O-okay
>Never played VI
>>
>>2893487
Played them all, ff6 started the ugly trend with espers/materia and to a extent, junctions.

Prefixed jobs or being able to switch jobs is the best system and adds a unique flavor instead of having 16+ characters that are basically the same when espers are a thing
>>
File: 1451293319267.jpg (33KB, 437x176px) Image search: [Google]
1451293319267.jpg
33KB, 437x176px
>>2893468
> FF6 is the mediocre overhyped le training wheels gaming
This meme has to die. Preferably you along with it. Games should be celebrated, not shitposted.
>>
>>2893493
I meant I haven't played it. I tried but the opening was too much for me.
>>
File: ni.png (103KB, 300x256px) Image search: [Google]
ni.png
103KB, 300x256px
>>2893508
>Never played 6
>Considers it the best
I just don't know anymore pham
>>
>>2893521
Dude, I didn't make that post saying they were equal. I was asking why you didn't agree. I have played PSIV though and that game is the tits.
>>
PS4 puts on a good effort, but the game just feels handicapped. It performs snappy and plays well, but the overall presentation just feels a step behind. I mean just compare the two soundtracks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcQpWkvUWW8&list=PLBE883CEF707F65F0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKvqLZg3IQQ&list=RDrKvqLZg3IQQ#t=74

FF6 fundamentally elevated what we could consider and expect from a RPG. Right from the start of the game you can see fundamentally different design and creative styles and intentions. Even just comparing the first few tracks for each game's OST says a lot about their design.

Does FF6 play better than PS4? That's a debate of a different sort. There's no denying that PS4 plays "snappier" than FF6, even if it does have that obnoxious dirt-bike noise at the start of every battle. This is where grognards can debate whether "PS4 is more hardcore than FF6" for eternity.
>>
>>2893537
I gave my answer here >>2893493
Basically the game turns any uniqueness out of the window a bit into the game when you can equip espers and everyone and their mother can suddenly start casting all kinds of magic.

FF 1,3,4,5,9 and to some extent 10 if you don't overgrind/gonna do endgame stuff, x-2 and 12(international) all have uniquness to their characters, either they're a set job (thief, warrior, monk, white mage) or they can switch jobs.

6,7 and 8 aren't bad games, but they lose a lot of their charm when the party members you have don't matter at all save for limit breaks, in 6 it doesn't matter at all almost and basically boils down to which sprite you like the most.

Phantasy Star 4 is great in the sense that people are stuck with their job/class, Chaz is the Allround (Fighter and good spells) Gryz is the warrior, Hahn is defensive/offensive spellcaster, Alys is your cleave damage, Rune is your offensive magic nuker, Rika is you battle healer, Wren is your big cleave damage dealer, Rika is your tanky support, Raja is your superhealer, And Kyra is also a good allround fighter with some good spells

Comparing PS4 to FF6 is quite stupid, since they're nothing alike.
>>
>>2889963
Final Star....

Phantasy Final...

Star Fantasy....

Star Fantasy's good, yes... Nice...
>>
>>2893572
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKvqLZg3IQQ&list=RDrKvqLZg3IQQ#t=74

That part around 1:35 sound very familiar to
https://youtu.be/-_3sGkzTGxQ around 15 seconds
>>
>>2893584
It's not a fair comparison for 6, because of the game's unorthodox design in the second half of the game.
>>
Both. :^)
>>
>>2893603
6 would be infinetely better if espers didn't hand out magic and instead focused more on the few abilities that characters get.

Characters like Strago would really benefit from this
>>
>>2893587
> Star Fantasy....
It's FF4.
>>
SHould have included Dragon Quest
>>
File: 1450987773327.jpg (234KB, 1072x736px) Image search: [Google]
1450987773327.jpg
234KB, 1072x736px
>>2893721
>Dragon Quest
>>
>>2890001

Both 1 and 2 got ps2 remakes you know? And they got translation patches out.
>>
>>2893753
Is the ps2 translation finally done?
>>
>>2893776
yes
>>
Why didn't Phantasy Star have a proper game on the Saturn or Dreamcast? It probably would've been on par with Final Fantasy VII.
Did the games not sell enough?
>>
>>2894231
Well, there's Phantasy Star Online.

The main series storyline was finished in IV, that's why they chose not to have a "proper" sequel. I'm glad they didn't spoil the IV ending just to milk the franchise.
>>
>>2894261
A proper sequel wouldn't even need to be a continuation of the other games' plot, it could even be set in another star system like Online.
I just wish I could've seen all their experience as game devs, writers, and artists culminate one more time.
>>
>>2894273
Was Online made by the same team? Because let's be honest, it's an amazing game even if it's not a single player traditional RPG.
>>
>>2894308
True, but it's Phantasy Star in name only. It could've been called anything else and I never would have made a connection to the real PS games.
>>
>>2890008
>release order
>phantasy star
You fucking blockhead, everyone who knows anything about PS knows you avoid III like the fucking plague.

>>2889972
Best order to play is I, II then IV. III is ok, but not worth playing. IV is the best, but there's things about it that make playing the others important--you'll appreciate IV a lot more with those under your belt.
>>
>>2890868
did you play with the included strategy guide like you were supposed to?

did you ever go back into your house to pick up other party members?

PSII isn't a cakewalk, but it's incredibly far from unplayable. It's a lot more playable than Final Fantasy II, for instance.
>>
>>2894360
>avoid III like the fucking plague
It'd not a bad game. Even you don't think it's a bad game, why parrot that shitty opinion?
>>
File: puzzled nep.gif (2MB, 500x362px) Image search: [Google]
puzzled nep.gif
2MB, 500x362px
>>2894360
>avoid III like the fucking plague
>III is ok
>>
>>2894231
Phantasy Star Compendium book states that they planned Phantasy Star V for Saturn, but it was ditched in favor of PSO.
>>
File: alis wojak.jpg (282KB, 847x1200px) Image search: [Google]
alis wojak.jpg
282KB, 847x1200px
>>2894792
PSO is great, but fuck that's somehow even more disappointing.
>>
Good /vr/ Phantasy Star games: 2
Good /vr/ FF games: 1

Checkmate FFaggots.
>>
>>2894806
Phantasy Star II is also good, not just I and IV. III is less good but still worth playing once.

And I enjoyed all the Final Fantasies up until 11, but they're generally less good than Phantasy Star games
>>
>>2894396
It's the Devil May Cry 2 of Phantasy Star. Average as fuck and doesn't live up to any of the expectations of the predecessors due to them fucking up the dev team.
>>
>>2894809
What was wrong with XII?
>>
>>2894792
>>2894797
>Rieko Kodama does say that after 4, there was some talk about a story for 5, with concepts involving questions like "are there gods in the PS universe?", "is the dark force really evil, and the light force really good?", and "What is the light force in the world that opposes Dark Force? Is it justice?".
Could have been neat.
>>
I'm a huge Phantasy Star fan and I've never played a Final Fantasy game. Where can I start? Are the games connected too?
>>
>>2895417
The first one. If you don't like it, try the one after that, and the one after that. All the translated Roms should be on emuparadise.
>Are the games connected too?
Very, very loosely.
>>
>>2895417
>Where can I start?
Any of them released before 2000
:^)
IX is something of a 3D swansong to the earlier 2D games in a Western high fantasy setting, so having a frame of reference will help you appreciate it better.
X and XII are genuinely significant departures from the formula. I think they're great, but many find fault.

The main series games share thematic elements and gameplay mechanics, but that's all. There are a few spin-offs from VII, X, XII, and XIII which share the same respective worlds.
>>
>>2895639
And there's also after years for FF4
>>
>>2895417
No, not in the least. The retro ones all have a unique feel though because they all share the same director and composer.

>>2895473
>Very, very loosely.
Nigga, what?

>>2894869
Nah, fuck that. I love retro PS, but PSO is literally my vidya addiction. Keep your existential bullshit out of my PS series.
>>
>>2896814
>Keep your existential bullshit out of my PS series
Bro have you even played II
>>
>>2896820
Not sure what you're referencing here? II is my fave; play it almost every year.

I can't recall being beaten over the head with a philosophical stick in any of the PS games though.
>>
>>2896814
They're connected by the world they take place in, so there are plenty of recurring themes, motifs, beasts, etc. and some things that happen in previous games could influence how the future (the next games) are. It's not as if it's a pure anthology video game RPG series. To say they're not connected at all is retarded.

also all this shit
http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Forum:Inter-Game_Connections
>>
>>2896853
>They're connected by the world they take place in
That being a different world each game. That page you posted is nothing but fanwank by a bunch of forum posters. Pure speculation that has been deemed by the wiki maintainers to be not worth allowing on the actual wiki.

Holy fucking shit, get it together and find some better straws to grasp at because that shit ain't gonna convince anyone.
>>
>>2896863
A few games take place in different worlds, but most of them seem to take place at different times.
Some of it is very speculative, but dismissing it as all as fanwank is just as retarded as your other posts.
>>
>>2896887
That was my second post in the thread, the first was a simple 'I like this thing more than this thing' post. Get a better samefag crystal ball.
>>
>>2893625
I guess they wanted a compromise between FFIV's fixed jobs (which made a lot of characters worthless) and FFV's extreme customization and equalization of characters (which erased uniqueness but made the gameplay a lot funnier imo)
>>
>>2890385
And Final Fantasy for muh grafx and FMV
>>
>>2889963
I've only played the first in each series but Phantasy Star feels more flushed out than FF1.
>>
>>2889963
phantasy star

final fantasy is boring as shit
>>
>>2896887
Actually, Dissidia blew that theory all to hell.

Every Final Fantasy is in a different dimension, hence some recurring themes (crystals, chocobos, moogles, Cid) and the only "real" direct connection is that there is only one Gilgamesh, who is hopping through Final Fantasy titles, but otherwise there's more than one of everything.

It even explained the differences between ports as being in the same dimension but a different reality. All of Dissidia takes place on an alternate version of FF1's world, in FF1's dimension.

Fans asked, Dissidia answers. That's how they're all connected, and that's also why it doesn't matter in the slightest.
>>
>>2899172
>Dissidia
>Canon
>>
>>2894869
>Classic PS explores moral ambiguity

fuuuuuck why didn't this happen?
>>
>>2889963
suikoden
>>
>>2893379
FF5 is better than all of the other games you mentioned.
>>
>>2901140
FF5 is the worst one.
>>
>>2893572
>i prefer fake orchestras so FF6 is better
kek
>>
>>2893572
Damn that song is great. It's powerful, threatening, alluring, and really catchy. It makes you want to dig right into the game and see how far it can push you. The arranged version is good, too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGBWECEEEII
>>
>>2901298
In story it's not the best, but the mechanics were by far one of the best among 16 bit FF games. The class system personally made that game for me. And it's a game that I feel really rewards for going out of your way for grinding as opposed for just leveling you up.
>>
>>2889963
FF
>>
I've only played the one on the gamecube. Phantasy star online I think. There was two episodes in one or something, how does that rank with PlayStation ps?
>>
>>2901603
I really didn't care for the class system in that game, I thought VI handled that concept better with the job system. To each their own.
>>
I never played PSIV and want to ask is the PSP Genesis collection a good way to experience it?
>>
>>2901823
Yeah, it is. Or you can emulate or buy on steam for like 3 bucks I think it is
>>
>>2894360

best order is 1, 3, 2, 4
>>
>>2899152
I'd give Phantasy Star a lot of credit for being consistent, and creating a cohesive universe an storyline. But I'd say later Final Fantasy, when it broke away from its more traditional themes and started being ridiculous, is quite enjoyable if you don't take it seriously.

Phantasy Star still edges out though.
>>
>>2905158
>later Final Fantasy
Are you talking about 10 onwards, or are you including 7 and 8?
>>
>>2901789
Phantasy Star was never on the Playstation. When you see the terms 'PS1, PS2, PS3' and 'PS4' in a Phantasy Star thread you can be sure it doesn't stand for Playstation.

And PSO is drastically different from the classic Phantasy Star series which had it's final entry on the Mega Drive in 1993. It's rather difficult to compare the PSO spinoff series to the classics because they're so different. They're both good, I'll say that much.
>>
>>2906490
There are remakes of PS1 and 2 for the PS2, both translated now.
And a collection of the original versions of all four with a bunch of extra options.
>>
>>2906490
PSO was a joke compared to the cannon series.
>>
>>2906940
Still one of the most balanced online RPGs ever created, and not saturated with empty inflative content

"LOL LOOK AT OUR WOW-CLONE WITH 20 CLASSES 60 RACES 750 SKILLS 5400 ABILITIES AND 86000 WEAPONS AND 620000 ITEMS YOU BETTER HAVE A FLOWCHART FOR COMBAT BECAUSE YOU'LL NEED IT". Yeah, fuck you, I'll take my quality over quantity and love it.
>>
>>2906883
Oh yeah, the reimaginings and roms-on-a-disk are a thing. I honestly forgot. Perhaps I blanked the reimaginings from my memory because they're so traumatically shit. Forgetting about the collection was a bit of a mistake though, from what I hear it's actually a pretty decent way to play 2, 3 and 4.
>>
Final Fantasy, but Phantasy Star 4 rocks.
>>
File: opera.jpg (198KB, 600x849px) Image search: [Google]
opera.jpg
198KB, 600x849px
>>2889963
PS4 is fucking great, but that's the only PS I've played.

If you wanted a damn good intro to RPGs, PS4 and FF9 would be probably the best you could get imo

Special mention for FF6 too. Definitely spawned some of the nicest artwork
>>
>>2889963
Ultima
>>
>>2906960
Implying I support wow-clones for some reason? To be blunt, I believe the rise in popularity of MMOs are the worst thing to happen to the gaming industry with pre-ordering being a close 2nd and competitive gaming streams being 3rd.
Thread posts: 122
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.