[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Unreal/UT

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 138
Thread images: 14

File: ut99.jpg (150KB, 1022x738px) Image search: [Google]
ut99.jpg
150KB, 1022x738px
Since Doombabbies have their own threads, let's start one for the superior series.

What's your favorite game, weapon and game type?
>>
Game: 99
Gamemode: DM
Stage: Healpod ][, HyperBlast, Turbine
Song: Superfist
Weapon: Pulse Rifle/Flak Gun
FOV: 115-140
Skin: Soldier/Rankin (red)
Bot level: Adept-Masterful

Specific enough?
>>
UT99 is welcomed in Doom threads
>>
>>2881345
I remember playing UT with up to 15 other assholes, then one day I read in a gaming magazine that a new console (I think it was the 360, I'm not sure to be honest) would allow up to 8 players games, it took me years to understand why were they so excited.

Anyway, my favorite game mode was domination and my favorite map was deck16, however I played a lot of facing worlds because my friends loved capture the flag and I didn't really care. My favorite weapon was the Railgun.
>>
>>2881536
that makes no sense

if you want a '90s FPS general go to /vg/
>>
>>2881345
>let's start one for the superior series.
>superior series
yeah, because unreal was such a revolutionary game...

oh wait
>>
>>2881598
Doom/Quake being older doesn't make it automatically better, kid.
>>
>>2881598
>everything and it's mother being made with Unreal engine, even stuff that isn't FPS
>not revolutionary
>>
>>2881536
This is true but a majority of the posts are about Doom and overshadow the UT posts
>>
>>2881345
Weapon: Flak gun
Game mode: CTF
Map: Facing worlds
>>
>>2881345
>Game
UT:GOTY
>Gamemode:
CTF
>Stage:
This was 12 years ago. Shit if I remember
>Weapon:
Probably shot gun. This game is probably the reason I suck at every other FPS
>FOV:
Default idk
>Skin:
Blue
>Bot level
Only played online with max players
>>
>>2881640
This for me also..but add snot gun with flak.
>>
>1998
>Half-Life
>on-rails boring blah blah blah linear shooter with horrible weapons and bland square graphics even for its time
>cookie cutter dumb enemies

>Unreal
>several open exploration-focused levels
>goddamn beautiful graphics for its time and still looks nice today
>great balanced and situational weapons with real power and solid feel
>imaginative enemy types that dodge, hide, plan and evade you

HL was destroyed by the original Unreal and still HL became the "game of the year best game ever 10/10" fan favorite.

It was the fucking Halo of PCs. Overrated and outshined by fucking everything else. Unreal destroyed it.

Go play the original Unreal.

Now.

Just, you know, skip Return to Na Pali if you want and ignore the fact there was an Unreal 2.
>>
>>2881687
I thought Half Life's weapons were pretty cool, and the way you had to go about the "linear" levels with the clever design was interesting.
>>
>>2881862
you forgot to insult anon, asshole.
>>
File: necris_comparison_01.jpg (133KB, 1200x750px) Image search: [Google]
necris_comparison_01.jpg
133KB, 1200x750px
>>2881345
>Game
It's a toss up between 99 and 2k4. I love both of the games
>Game mode
DM
>Map
Deck16][, Curse][, Turbine, Zeto
>Music
Run, Foregone Destruction
>Weapon
Flak Cannon
>FOV
>Skin
Commando/Anna
>Bot level
Masterful

Unreal Tournament 99 was the reason I upgraded my computer so the game could run smoothly. I was completely blown away the first time I've installed the demo. I've played Turbine so many times the track Run is engraved into my brain and back then I was convinced that UT99 was the peak of video games.
>>
>>2881687
You could at least say instead Metroid Prime instead of Halo.
>>
>>2881687
Well it helped that after Valve fixed most of the big bugs the game was significantly less buggy than Unreal and everything kind of worked just worked well. Mouse input for example wasn't dogshit in HL, but it was in Unreal. The interface was crap in Unreal. HUD is junk at high resolution. High framerate fucked with animations and the game in general. The console and configuring custom configs was always junk in UE. Unreals multiplayer was slower. Unreal in general was clunkier feeling as well. The crosshairs were broken up to UT2K4. The moddability was UE tier, whereas HL came in with a degree of backing from Quake developers working with the older engine. So, yeah, kind of makes sense.

I'm not saying Unreal is the worst game or anything, but for some of the nice things like high resolution textures and some shiny textures that it supported everything about the game was basically rank amateur as far as polish went. Plus it was buggy on top of that. HL1 while it has it's problems too had a fair bit more polish to what it was.

Also, HL1 wasn't really the Halo of the PCs. Really it's super high regard was a later thing by newer players. Many people, especially people playing online were meh about it. HL1's big selling point that kept it around as long as it was in fact CS, which was the CoD of it's time. That's why you have all the 10/10 fuckers these days.
>>
>99
>flak cannon or instagib rifle
>4 way tdm or instagib tdm/dm
>map
phobos moon played the shit out of it in the demo
>tune
forgone destruction or go down
>>2881687
i agree unreal got robbed people these days don't even realise the original exists
>>
>>2882210
Stability aside. Unreal was better.
>>
Who /flakmonkey/ here?
>>
>>2881345
>Game
I like them all, but I seem to come back to Unreal 1 more often.

>Game Type
Assault for the UT games.

>Weapon
ASMD / Shock Rifle.

>Other stuff:

I generally use an FOV of 95-115, depending on the display. Fav map is AS-Convoy form 2K4.
>>
TLMS Master Race.
>>
>>2881345
I like Unreal better myself. The DM was almost identical to UT99, and there are mods for CTF and what not. Plus the single player is great, and one of the best coop games I've played.

I was hosting coop all last week actually. Hosting Hexen this week...

>>2882261
>i agree unreal got robbed people these days don't even realise the original exists
Ditto. I saw a "best FPS weapon" thing the other day talking about the Flak Cannon from UT99. Not even mentioning Unreal once.

>>2882210
I've never had any issues with bugs in Unreal, though there were many patches for it, and there is a fan patch (227i/j) that makes it run flawlessly.
>>
Game mode: Tie between CTF and TDM
Shootin': Rocket Launcher
Maps: CTF-Gauntlet, DM-Bishop, DM-Barricade, CTF-Eternalcave, CTF-Dreary, CTF-Epicboy, DM-Agony, DM-Curse][, DM-Morbias][, DM-Deck16][, DM-ArcaneTemple, DM-Codex
>>
>>2881345
>Doombabbies

Are you being a douche on purpose or joking?
>>
>>2883069
The gold version and versions from 224-226 are pretty bug-free. Anything older can experience a shedload of bugs. From my experiences with 205:

>Everything running at 2x speed bar music and sound
>Forces being applied so strong that it makes several levels impossible or difficult to beat (Rrajigar mine)
>Music playing at the wrong speed
>not experienced it myself, though I have heard of netcode issues

Think goodness this all got patched out. Meanwhile HL1 seems to be getting buggier: I always seem to get stuck in elevators or other moving platforms.
>>
>>2883209
>Everything running at 2x speed bar music and sound
I did have that on anything with multi core CPUs, yeah. Forgot about it though.

The only thing I've had an issue with when playing online is in some levels the monsters get triggered too early and in one occasion blocked off a door I needed to get through.
>>
>>2882396
>shotgun AND grenade launcher, my favorite weapons in a single gun
How could I not love it?
>>
>>2883408
You should try the Painkiller minigun.

It's also a rocket launcher!
>>
I'm actually really digging UT4. Most of the maps are unfinished placeholders but I've played Bungie games so I'm used to that.

Seconding love for the flak cannon if only because primary and alt fire are the most different and complimentary of any gun.

Second would be the shock rifle because if you get really good at detonating the alt fire plasma spheres you can just absolutely thrash anybody.

Honorable mention: Link gun.
>>
I just got into the series after playing the new one.
I got a PS2 copy of Unreal Tournament for $2 because I wanted to play it splitscreen with friends and when I actually got home I discovered it doesn't work.
I'm going to try and fix it since the store's selection is too shit to return for store credit.
>>
>>2881598
how's id tech doing these days?
>>
>>2883904
It's actually a pretty slick engine, but they don't license it much because they're... dumb? It also doesn't cater to the hobbyist/indie crowd. Also, don't respond to bait.
>>
BOOM
>>
>>2884003
>>It's actually a pretty slick engine

Yeah, a slick engine hardlocked at 60 FPS.
>>
>>2881520
>Game
Strongly want to give it to 2k4 for taking the series to where it did with gamemodes and bot interaction, but all I care about is arcade-ish deathmatch so 99 takes the cake

>Gamemode
Deathmatch

>Stage
Turbine, Facing Worlds, Coret

>Song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EM9dod8JTpA
[My World by Noisia reminds me of this song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3L-tqhBXzMA]

>Weapon
Dual Enforcers and Flak

>FOV
110 is the sweet spot

>Skin
Red Team Metal Guard Wraith

>Bot level
Adept
>>
>>2884426
>Song
I will say that UT99 has some pretty fucking ace music over Unreal.

Both games music fits the environments really well imo. It could just be nostalgia talking, but it feels like they were made specifically for their respective maps by someone who gave a damn. Very little game music takes me back like Unreal/UT99s
>>
Long list incoming

>Game
99 and U1 tied with 2k4 close second

>Gamemode
CTF

>Stage
one fave map per gamemode:
DM: Phobos
DOM: Sesmar
CTF: Lavagiant
AS. Oceanfloor
U1:the darkmatch map

>Song
Skyward, Enigma, Underworld II, Mech 8
U1: Wargate, Surfacing, Nightvision, Chizra

>Weapon
Flak Cannon, Minigun, Dual Enforcers
U1:Rifle aka Pocket Howitzer

>FOV

>Skin
Commando Blake
Necris Kragoth
Metal Guard Von
Rawsteel Arkon
U1: the girl with the black facemask

>Bot Level
Masterful, sometimes Inhuman, rarely Godlike
>>
>>2885128
>DOM: Sesmar

I've never seen anyone mention that map and it's a shame because the level design is so great along with the music track which feels like it was made specifically for that Egyptian themed stage. It all fits so perfectly.
>>
Trying to play UT/Oldskool Unreal on my laptop and I've been getting odd slowdowns. Not like low FPS, but actual moments where it moves slowmo. I've read a few old forum posts about this issue and apparently it has to do with power saving features on some laptop CPUs. I've tried forcing high performance power mode, setting affinity to only one core, but I still get slowdowns.

Anyone have this problem and found a fix that isn't some "download this program from this broken link or fuck with your BIOS" answers I found in old 2008 threads?
>>
>game
Anything but 99 and original isn't vr, so ut99
>weapon
ASMD or sniper
>map
w00tabulous for retard fun, dm_deck16][ for actual playing.
>>
My favorite aspect of the console versions of 99 were the compensations. Yah know? stuff like split-screen, controller optimized maps and the motherfucking hype menus; Dreamcast had the best presentation.
>>
I read a few posts in this thread and I think I now have permanent brain damage.
>>
>>2882210

CS being the COD of its time feels oddly but totally right and sometimes it pisses me off that it killed off futuristic FPS games for a while.

Also, Unreal was fun as fuck. Can't quite decide between UT99 and 2K4 (not retro, as well as the pretty cool UT4) for total favorite. However, none can deny the general oomph of the Flak Cannon. Shit's so good!
>>
>>2888018
is it a coincidence that Valve now owns two games that ruined a genre for a good amount of people?
>>
>>2888007
You forgot the part where the split screen worked at slicky smooth butt baby 10 fps.
Too bad, I was the only one who though back then we should play Outrigger instead since it's worked better for the Dreamcast controller.
>>
>>2888029
*it
>>
>>2888029
Outtrigger was made for a Dreamcast controller. Just look at every map in the game.
>>
>>2888021

You're fucking right, they do!

Also okay /Unreal/. Stinger or Minigun (Or why not both)?
>>
>>2888032
indeed.
But even, it was smooth, the auto aim fell right, it's more than just the maps.
>>
It would be interesting to get into this game, but I think I would get destroyed by the people that have been played it since it came out.
>>
>>2888034
Stinger had an awesome alt-fire mode but nothing beats good old conventional bullets making your enemies get their freak on in the dance floor.
>>
>>2888036
I strongly disliked using the aim assist in OT. Really liked using controller preset D1 since Level-3 bots required a bit of pre-firing on demand.
>>
I loved 1 the most. The campaign primarily, but I really spent a lot of my early teens playing team DM. Loved how you could play co-op too. Wish modern FPS still provided that option instead of a shitty survival mode.

Favourite maps: Deck 16, Mobius, Tundra
Favourite weaps: ASMD, Razorjack
>>
This game still look good.
What is this sorcery?
>>
>>
>>
>>2887334
Try forcing the game to run on one thread.

Whilst the game is running, go to task manager by pressing Ctrl-Alt-Esc. Go to the Processes tab, right-click UnrealTournament.exe and select Set Affinity. Uncheck every box except CPU 0 and then click OK.

I know there's a way to set this permanently involving the command line, but I forget.
>>
>>2888193
Disregard this, I only just saw the bit about already trying this.

What operating system are you running? Under Windows 8 and above, the default D3D renderer has slowdown issues. Switching it to OpenGL should fix them. Even better is to download an alternative renderer: I prefer using the D3D9 port of UTGLR at http://www.cwdohnal.com/utglr/ .
>>
>>2888198
Seconding this. Not only did it help me with choppy framerate, it also helped with brightness issues I had with the game being too dark even when you bumped it up to max in options.
>>
>>2887334
>Not like low FPS, but actual moments where it moves slowmo
Same shit happen with me.
Intel HD card I presume?
>>
Weapon: One of the few games where I like pretty much all of the weapons, every single one has its strengths and weaknesses and are really fun to use.
Gametype: DM / DOM (translocator is just too much fun)
Maps: DM-Deck 16, DM-Fractal, DM-Morpheus, DOM-Sesmar, DOM-Condemned, DOM-MetalDream (this map blew my 8 year old mind with its size)
Songs: Mech-8, Go Down, Razorback, Run, Mission Landing. But let's be fair this game has an amazing soundtrack across the board.
>>
>>2888038

L33t pros say the Minigun is shit compared to the Automag but the Minigun is so much fun to use I don't give a fuck.
>>
File: ABUNAI.jpg (102KB, 1130x1040px) Image search: [Google]
ABUNAI.jpg
102KB, 1130x1040px
>>2881598
>yeah, because unreal was such a revolutionary game...
Haha, what. Are you implying it's bad because it didn't invent the genre? Unreal's enemy AI is lightyears ahead of DOOM's and is still more involved than most shooters.

Call me when enemies in DOOM actively dodge gunfire.
>>
>>2888698
It's kinda true. dual enforcer can slap your puppy good in the right hands.
>>
>>2882210
HL was revolutionary for the amount of story it put into an FPS, gameplay wise Unreal had it beat in every department.
>>
>>2889167

This.

Skaarj in Unreal took effort because of their agility & intelligence.

Quakes AI wasn't much more developed than Doom's.
>>
>>2889184
Enemies in DOOM and Quake mostly just run at you and shoot at you. Anyone who thinks Unreal wasn't blowing minds with it's AI back in 1998 needs a history lesson.

That first moment when I fired at an enemy and it rolled out of the way then I fired again and it rolled out of the way again, my entire world just got flipped upside down.
>>
>>2889196

Yep. The guy who developed the Reaper bots for Quake 1 is the same guy who did a lot of the programming for Unreal, inc. the enemy & bot AI.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Polge
>>
>>2888037
I have played it for the first time in 2011. I got a friend into it in early 2015 and he's already on par with the average player at least. It isn't too late to get into the game.
>>
>>2881345
Game: 99 - I like them all though
Weapon: Flak Cannon
>>
>>2889196
Some enemies in Quake II duck to dodge projectiles. Just saying.
>>
>>2889245
That's more of a real simple thing since they sit still like a sitting duck doing it, along with only having a chance to duck. Skarrj consistently dodge rockets every single time you shoot at them even constantly.
>>
>>2889245

Granted. Although, I remember Q2's AI dodging being so shit that they really shouldn't have even bothered.
>>
just in case someone doesnt know http://kentie.net/article/d3d10drv/
d3d10 render for ut and a bunch of ue1 games

also as good as ut is, it cant compare to q3a
>>
>>2889263
Unreal was the first time a shooter made me go "Oh, rocket splash damage is for more than just crowds."

Duking out the Skaarj by shooting feet was fun as fuck.
>>
Does anyone here still play Infiltration from time to time?
>>
>>2889282
Don't forget first time fighting a Skarrj Trooper. First time an enemy could use the same exact weapons and fight roughly as well as you at the same time.
>>
>>2889170

There aren't dual Automags in Unreal 1.

Dual Enforcers really damn good in UT99, though the Minigun's variable RoF is really nice and it's a lot easier to get a Minigun.
>>
>>2888013
it's the side effect of hanging out with the doombabbies autist, you get him wearing off his aspergers on you.
>>
>>2887334 here

Most of my issues have been fixed by using the nGlide wrapper and running the 3dfx renderer. Looks good and no bugs or slowmo, only issue is 4:3 aspect ratio only and a little choppy FPS around heavy volumetric fog due to being on a shitty laptop.

>>2888313
Intel 965 Express chipset. Good enough for retro games but just barely.

>>2888198
Still got slowdowns with these, plus some weird graphical bugs with some skyboxes, although I've used them on my newer desktop rig and they're great on that.
>>
Unreal wasn't anything special imo, but UT99 is a goddamn masterpiece that's still a pleasure to play.

Also, Unreal Championship 2 is one of the best console shooters ever made
>>
>>2889881
>Intel 965 Express chipset. Good enough for retro games but just barely.
I suspect a recent Intel driver. I remember the game running fine on year ago.
>>
>>2889881
Ugh, the 965 is comparable to a GeForce FX 5600 Ultra. I prefer dumping SSAA and TrSSAA on older games.
>>
>>2889196
Unreal and Thief gave me hope for AI in games. Then it all went downhill. Halo had some decent AI a few years later, but the game got a bit boring for me...
>>
>>2890639
so many people in here mentioning AI, it kind of baffles me. Descent, a couple years earlier, had some really crazy AI, including dodging, leading, misleading, sneaking and crude pack behavior.

As for it wenting downhill, that's simply because the gains of complex AI are minimal. Much easier to script a bit of behavior, and to the player similarly convincing. It's a simple economic decision. During the Descent, Thief and Unreal days, developers gained a bit of recognition by pulling these stunts. Few years later though, publishers realized that recognition does not translate to money, so it was dropped, in favor of the cheaper alternative. The joy of game development as a pure business.
>>
http://www.gizmag.com/turing-test-ut2004-botprize/24308/
>>
>>2890403
>965 is comparable to a GeForce FX 5600 Ultra

You must have been high when you made the comparison. The 965 is MUCH weaker. Good enough for /vr/, but sucks at anything post-2001. The GeForce is able to handle those games far better.
>>
File: 4chanquakebots.jpg (172KB, 691x1600px) Image search: [Google]
4chanquakebots.jpg
172KB, 691x1600px
>>2889184
Well Q3 bots learned peace.
>>
>>2893996
I like this pasta, too bad John Carmack debunked it.
>>
>>2894221
John Carmack became self-aware of it?
>>
>>2893996
Fairly tasty noodle entree
>>
>>2894526
If I remember correctly someone asked him about it at a QuakeCon and he said that the bots don't store combat logs nor use any "neural network".
>>
>>2894548
He didn't really write the code to the bots, but he would likely have kept track of it. Also, I've never had any logs for bots and they sure as fuck don't "learn" on mine. In fact I could consistently get them to run back and fourth between two points because they ran out of ammo and couldn't do anything and I strafe jump around them I could basically lock them up as they keep trying to move in the opposite direction.
If there ever was a log option, it sure as fuck wasn't a default thing. But there were mods like brainwerks or whatever it was called that supposed changed up the AI.

>>2890650
>the gains of complex AI are minimal
Not really. Complexity does not even confer gains in many cases, in some cases it makes it worse. Complexity is complexity not improvement and advanced strategy, especially when it's sufficiently complex to be gamed even harder for it. Simple AI can actually sometimes be harder to game than complex AI making it more difficult. Because simple AI may often ignore what would be techniques used to confuse or break it. Or not make as bad tactical mistakes as AI programmed to try to be clever. Or in HL1's case for example, end up being broken thoroughly by the way it operates, such as being absolutely non-responsive to a player in front of it for significant periods as it goes through it's "charade" rather than being reactive. Almost as bad as HL2's "player can't see enemy - don't shoot them" AI which allowed players to pick up debris and hold it in front of their faces to simply walk up to and around AI.
>>
>>2894740

I haven't seen Doom and the original Quake's enemies stand in place and let me plummet them without fighting back, but I have plenty of times with Half-Life's soldiers.
>>
>>2894771
>I haven't seen Doom and the original Quake's enemies stand in place and let me plummet them without fighting back
Outside of pain sequences you mean. But yeah, that was one of my points. Complex doesn't mean better, it means complex. If I build a super complex nuclear car and all it does is explode when the driver turns the key, clearly complexity hasn't improved upon the car in this case. Complexity can make it harder to find faults, it can make things better or worse. It's neither good or bad, it's different. Kind of like with coding, often complex code is worse than simple code. People who are new at coding usually have complex spaghetti code. Veterans often have simplified and efficient code. It's not strictly a decreasing cost, a good complex AI is always good. A bad complex AI is usually not. To understand why complex AI is not strictly diminishing returns. The best AI we know of, human intelligence. Purely biological, chemical, often faulty, complex - yet it still every game of multiplayer you've ever played has been significantly improved both for coop and competitive play modes by the mere improvement of intelligent action and not in a minor way, but in a vastly qualitatively differing experience. To produce human level of conceptualized play even with minimal input isn't a minimal return it's damned revolutionary. It just takes a lot of work to get there and really is hampered by mere play entities coded at whim attempting reinventing a basic wheel. When great AI comes to games, it won't be in specific game, it'll be in all games in the same way people can play all games. Before it reaches that kind of point, it'll be a middleware solution and likely even hardware based the same way physics is offloaded to GPU. But it won't have diminishing returns, it'll make any game utilizing it far more exciting and realistic.
>>
>>2894548
Actually, his twitter.

https://twitter.com/id_aa_carmack/status/352192259418103809
>>
>>2894783

HL1's enemy coding gives off a lot of "newbie coding vibes", like the overly complex roach behavior, all the shit the Houndeye can do (like the sleeping behavior) that the player will never notice unless someone that's cracked open the code points out, and the soldier AI that will break at the drop of a hat, causing the soldier to completely freeze.
>>
>>2894740
I like that you prefaced your response with "Not really" and then agreed with me on the next couple lines.
>>
>>2894819
Relatedly, graphics editors can allow you an INSANELY fast strafing
>>
I want to install Unreal, UT99 and UT2k4 on linux. It seams that unless I have the dvd (I have the gog version of 2k4 and the steam versions of everything else) or a patch I cannot find, I cannot do it. Anyone know how to do it?
>>
>>2881345
Game: 2004
Stage: DM-1on1-Idoma, DM-Under_LE2, DM-Campgrounds2005-SC1
Song: No music
Weapon: Shock Rifle
FOV: 120
Skin: Abbadon
Bot level: Godlike + fullstats
>>
who /MonsterHunt/ here? MH is super fun with U4e. I highly recommend trying it.
Post your favorite mods.
>>
>>2896127
sounds like fun
>>
>>2896130
Oh it is, U4e utilizes the Unreal engine to it's potential. There's weapons that disintegrate, inflate/shrink, and freeze (you shatter into shards too). I remember as a kid somehow finding a way to stay shrunken after respawning but I've long forgotten how. I'd post webms but footage/screenshots I take in UT come out really dark for some reason.
>>
>>2896140

U4e had the most fun weapons from any mod. I think only Quake 2 Awakening came close
>>
>>2896151
Definitely. It's a shame the 2k4 version never left beta. Weapons of Evil and Ballistic Weapons come close but they're not the same but still awesome in their own right. I hope the creator comes back for UT4 since Epic lauds it as totally open source. There better be CUHRAZY mods for it like UT99 had. Pic related.
>>
so whats the best way to play unreal today?
i know there's a dx10 renderer but anything else? is there an all in one pack worth getting to go along with the GOG release?
>>
>>2896171

My faves were not the BFG type guns, but the bow and arrow, because of the wide choice of different arrow types. Explosive, poison, black hole, etc.

Also with some skill you could master trajectory by holding down fire the right length of time

Nailing someone with a poison arrow from the rafters, then stalking them as they slowly die was really satisfying
>>
>>2896381
Make sure you have all four bonus packs (you probably do)
Install the S3TC textures (you don't need to replace the stock files, just put the new ones in another folder and edit UnrealTournament.ini)
Update the game to 451b
Get the updated renderers (DX9, DX10, OpenGL according to your taste)
Check the Oldunreal forums for the OpenAL audio renderer
>>
>>2896554
Sorry, that's actually for UT99. For Unreal you just need the 227 patch (latest is 227i, 227j is in beta) and the S3TC textures.
>>
>>2890650
The real king of AI came a few years later in F.E.A.R however. Not that the maps really showed that, but it was internally very revolutionary.

Back on topic: Unreal is fucking amazing. It holds up incredibly well graphically even today, it has that sense of exploration and being part of a world greater than the playing area, and combat is cool as heck.

Only thing I'm not a fan of are the somewhat boring enemies (except the skaarj naturally).
>>
Razorjack a best weapon. Rifle is for fags.
>>
Quake II shits all over Unreal
>>
>>2896648
Yeah, all that ugly brown and the abysmal single player certainly does. Thanks for your contribution.
>>
>>2881345
Flak
Assault and CTF/Bombing run
>>
>>2896648

Good one!
>>
File: Unreal Thievery.jpg (48KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Unreal Thievery.jpg
48KB, 1280x1024px
>>2881345

>Best Game
UT99

>Best Mode
CTF

>Worst Mode
Bombing Run

>Best Weapon
Rocket Launcher

>Worst Weapon
Shield Gun

>Skin
Brock

>Team
Blue4life, red is for menstruating pussies

>Maps
CTF-Hydro16][, CTF-Niven, DM-Deck16, DM-Morpheus, DM-Peak, ONS-Torlan, DM-Viridian-TOURNEY

>Mods
ChaosUT, Thievery, Ballistic Weapons

>Bot buddy
Alarik

>Bot scum
Loque

>Vehicle
Chicada

>Best Mutator
Instagib
>>
>>2896560
thanks, sounds dope
>>
Are the GOG versions worth it?
>>
>>2896381
I just pirated it and it works just fine.
>>
File: kulesznik04.jpg (55KB, 400x565px) Image search: [Google]
kulesznik04.jpg
55KB, 400x565px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3v5OfUhXis

This is by far the most memorable track in the game. Getting out of the ship wreckage and seeing that vast landscape out there for you to explore instead of the confined spaces you were so used to before in other fps games while that music was slowly building up in the background was one of the most mindblowing experiences at the time.
>>
>>2895165
I too like that I agreed with you on the next couple of lines while completely not agreeing with you at all. In the same way I became a trillionaire but also didn't.
>>
>>2898249
Nice one. Great view if your computer could handle the game at the time (looked great with Glide)
>>
>>2895879
You can install Unreal I pretty easily. Set up WINE and install Unreal I onto it. Download the 227i patch and install it, making sure to select the 'Linux Native Files' option. You should then be able to launch Unreal in Linux.
>>
>>2898249

Seconded, I kept the CD on hand for years just to listen to that track in a discman.
>>
File: U2-83.jpg (43KB, 800x640px) Image search: [Google]
U2-83.jpg
43KB, 800x640px
>>2898249
I'm a huge fanboy for Nightvision. The whole portion with the Mercenaries in Terraniux was very memorable to me, for some reason.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUDAVddrEj8
>>
>>2883186
No he's some autist who has been trying to spread this for over a year now.
>>
>>2900961
Can second this. The ending theme (Main Title) is also pretty good, as is Isotoxin.
>>
Bump. Who is still playing this?
>>
>>2903354

I'm playing with my homeboys Archon, Tamerlane, Zenith, and Loque.
>>
Unreal sucks, but UT is amazing.
>>
>>2903354
I played with a friend a couple of weeks ago.
>>
>>2903378
>>2903410
I downloaded it and have been playing it online again. The ONLY thing that sucks is I like all the maps I used to play on, and apparently certain people never stopped playing and know every spot to hide.
>>
>>2897371
For me, the GOG versions work better on Windows than the Steam versions. On any other platform, the Steam version would be better if you had a way of doing the patches.
>>
>>2903354
I like do a playthrough of original Unreal at least once/twice a year. The length of the game is very satisfying as, even do I beat it multiple times, the journey is still rewarding.
>>
>>2903381

I hope you're sterile.
Thread posts: 138
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.