[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /vr/ do you know of any demos to games that had different

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6

File: uplink.jpg (63KB, 1000x800px) Image search: [Google]
uplink.jpg
63KB, 1000x800px
Hey /vr/ do you know of any demos to games that had different content from the main game itself? I think its a great idea and good incentive to even bother trying the demo since its a unique experience. Half life uplink did this do you guys know of any others?
>>
>half-life uplink

I ended up selling that PS2 demo that contained that content for 20$ to some desperate bastard
>>
>>1942787
http://tcrf.net/The_Cutting_Room_Floor
>>
>>1942787
HL Uplink was great, you could build maps and stuff and use them with the demo, so it was like a little game in its own right. A lot of enemies and weapons were missing from it though, so you didn't get a lot of variety.

Sadly, I can't think of any games that had totally different content from the real deal, though FF8's demo didn't have you in your SeeD uniforms.
>>
>>1942795
i didnt ask which region of mario has the biggest package. I want to like that site but its just casual autists counting marios ballhairs for each region. Good luck trying to find anything that isn't a first party nintendo title.
>>
I think I remember the demo to Starcraft having different content than the main game. I think it was its own mini-chapter called "A Prelude to War" or something.
>>
in the Metal Gear Solid demo (PS1) you could get the Nikita by getting the SOCOM and then entering the hangar. Go back out - something like three times - and the Nikita was there. Sounds like some pre-internet hoax, but I remember the magazine the demo came with ran a competition to find it. I found it but never entered.
>>
>>1942875
>was there
*was where the SOCOM was.
>>
>>1942875
You could actually do that in the original version.

Whenever you'd miss "an important item" like the SOCOM, it would shift all "important item" placement one step forward. For instance, the SOCOM would show up either in the tank hangar or armory (Can't remember), everything else would be one step forward, and the Nikita would move to the truck at the heliport.

I could be wrong though, it's been a while since I've done anything with the original MGS.
>>
>>1942787
I remember Jedi Outcast has a demo level that wasn't in the full game. Also strange was it used two effects that weren't in the full game, too. A reflective floor and snow.
>>
File: Shareware-front.jpg (38KB, 446x399px) Image search: [Google]
Shareware-front.jpg
38KB, 446x399px
Yes
Rise of the Triad had a shareware episode called The Hunt Begins that was a prequel to the full game and contained its own level set.
>>
thanks for the great replies so far, I wish I could remember some more off the top of my head. I would still like to play demos of games I love if they have exclusive content
>>
File: quake-ii_9.jpg (193KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
quake-ii_9.jpg
193KB, 1024x768px
The Quake 2 demo was a slightly modified version of the first unit.

It's mostly just different enemy placement. Still pretty interesting if you're like me and everything about the retail version has been seared into your brain since you were a child.
>>
>>1943368
>It's mostly just different enemy placement.
i think it also had more guns, especially in secret areas
>>
>>1943384
Probably. I haven't played the demo in a while.
>>
Pretty sure the Tiberian Sun demo had new missions.
>>
Resident Evil 2's demo had a shorter path to the police station and you met Ada in the S.T.,A.R.S. office, rather than basement.

Final Fantasy VIII's demo had Rinoa in your party at a point when she hadn't even been introduced yet and the combat system was different,

Not /vr/ but FFXIII's demo had a deeper battle system than the finished game. You could launch enemies via a command and decide what spells to cast from the menu. I wish the full game worked like that, because it played like a semi-turn based DMC.

On that note (And also not /vr/): DMC 1's demo had Dante with a shorter coat and short hair. I believe the content was the same otherwise though.

MGS3's demo gave you tons of weapons right out of the gate.

Those are the ones I remember. And sorry for the limited /vr/ content.
>>
File: 03861.jpg (102KB, 600x858px) Image search: [Google]
03861.jpg
102KB, 600x858px
Gunman:Chronicles (HL mod gone retail) might have had a demo different from the full game
>>
>>1943506
Ive always been curious about that game, isn't it about time travel and stuff. A demo about a time period not in the main game would have been a really good idea.
>>
>>1943510
I don't know about G:C, but there was a mod called "Half-Life Chronicles" that opened on a "what if". At the point in the standard campaign where you run into a bunker to take cover from a helicopter and the bunker collapses behind you, it instead collapses before you enter and the fence that normally made the outside area impassable opens. It's essentially a divergent point in the main campaign that comes together later on.
>>
The Sentient Demo was slightly different from the full game. Annoying because I could never figure out how to beat it and there's no walkthrough. Maybe it wasn't even beatable, it's not like I still have a copy of the demo.
>>
File: CYC2, SLAV.png (292KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
CYC2, SLAV.png
292KB, 640x480px
Tiberian Sun! It included two missions, one baseless, the other was a slugfest between you and a NOD base. I played the shit out of it so much and eventually took the thing apart and started replacing the units on the map with INI edits.

The entire game was included engine wise, you could find an identical local.mix in the retail version, but the retail missions and cutscenes aren't there. Unit responses and sounds are all there though.
>>
File: image044.jpg (179KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
image044.jpg
179KB, 720x480px
http://shenmuedojo.net/new/history/whatsshenmue.html
>Around June 1999, a few months before the release of Shenmue in Japan, Sega gave out this demo for the game. The disc includes a mini-game in which Ryo is searching for SEGA executive Yukawa-san. There is a QTE demo in the game as well, involving two thugs who run into Ryo.

Recently fan-translated.
>>
>>1943506
I think it was that the demo's levels were developed separately and then integrated into the main game late into development
>>
I still can't play Earthworm Jim 2 without feeling all bittersweet about what happened to the franchise afterwards.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyBVLoYtlKk
>>
Wasn't there something different about the demo level for Thief II (Life of the Party)?
>>
>>1943510
Nah; it's a CSApunk space western that sees you hunt down a rogue military officer deploying bioweapons in the form of mutated creatures across several planets.
>>
>>1944545
that sounds awesome and equally opurtune to have branching story arcs
>>
Freddy Pharkas and Space Quest 6 had self contained mini quests for their demos.
>>
>>1945669
thats awesome. Just can't get enough roger wilco? Try the demo too!!
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.