[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Kunihiko Yuyama, director of Pokemon the Movie: I Choose

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 9

File: o.png (420KB, 777x581px) Image search: [Google]
o.png
420KB, 777x581px
>Kunihiko Yuyama, director of Pokemon the Movie: I Choose You, recently did an interview with Pokemon Matome talking about the new movie. One interesting question in particular discussed how the plot of the movie came to be (translations by Dephender):

>Q: Why did this movie end up beginning with a depiction of Satoshi and Pikachu’s encounter?

>A: Since “Sun and Moon” is currently airing on TV, we thought of doing a “Sun and Moon” movie, and we also thought of potentially doing a story where the entire all star cast comes together, one that would fit a 20th anniversary. However, partially because every movie has a different, unique style to it, and partially because that didn’t feel like exactly what we wanted, we instead tried going back to the basics and thinking about what “Pokemon” really is. “Pokemon” started with Satoshi and Pikachu meeting each other, and now that it’s been 20 years there are people out there that aren’t familiar with this origin. And that’s why we decided to “depict Satoshi and Pikachu’s first meeting once again, from scratch”.

AUfags blown the fuck out, it's a straight-up retcon/reboot.
>>
That's exactly it. They wanted to show kids how they met but they really should have done first idea because this film will flop bad
>>
He's literally saying this is for children who weren't even born when the first episode originally aired.
Congratulations OP, you care about the ashnime as much as a 10 year old does.
>>
Since it has been confirmed that it's a retcon, will Cross be referenced in the anime when the anime team is inevitably forced to make an Incineroar centered episode?
>>
>>32999307

At no point did OP imply otherwise. He's just saying that since it's described as a re-telling for newer fans, it's officially a reboot.

Also

>2017
>He still unironically uses the term "ashnime"
>>
>no all-star cast movie
>no Serena hitting on Ash while other girls get jealous and fight while Iris calls them kids
>no Brock and Cilan cooking shenanigans
I'd take an all-star SoL desu
>>
>>32999327
Good. Iris deserves better company than Ash.
>>
>>32999283
Or it could just be like that One Piece movie where Franky and Robin join up before Drum Island.
>>
>>32999283
>we instead tried going back to the basics

Yeah back when we only have 151 simple pokemon like Lucario and Incineroar, this movie deserves all the hate it gets.
>>
Do you think the Path to Power movie retconned Dragon Ball?
>>
>>32999365
It's so obvious they put lucario and piplup for merchandise sales

They didn't even put gen 3, 5 and 7 mons. This director is very out of touch
>>
>>32999401
>They didn't even put gen 3, 5 and 7 mons

Marshadow, Incineroar, and Midnight Lycanroc are in the movie, anon
>>
>>32999376
The manga is stll the main canon trough. The Ashnime is it own story.
>>
>>32999406
You mean AngstyLucario, FireLucario and FeralLucario?
>>
File: 1377044450260.jpg (80KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1377044450260.jpg
80KB, 500x500px
>>32999411
>The manga is stll the main canon trough
>>
>>32999283
How in the absolute literal fuck do you get "it's a reboot" from "we wanted to retell the story of how Satoshi ad Pikachu met since lots of kids don't know it"? Are you actively looking for ways to misinterpret it?
>>
Alright Adamant, get your ass in here and set the record straight.
>>
>>32999283
>they actually thought about doing a movie where everyone comes back

That would have been fucking amazing
>>
>>32999541

Until you remember what a clusterfuck the Hoopa movie was
>>
>>32999538
Okay, fuck it.

OP is a retard and I have no clue how it's even possible to reach the kind of conclusion he did.
As >>32999376 says, it's just a retelling of an iconic story exactly like that movie was, and it's no more a retcon or reboot than that was.
>>
>>32999376
Now I want to watch Path to Power again
>>
File: 1374183219089.gif (1MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1374183219089.gif
1MB, 320x240px
>>32999591
REKT
>>
File: 1493698669577.jpg (6KB, 240x240px)
1493698669577.jpg
6KB, 240x240px
>>32999591
>>
>>32999591
OOOOH SHIT
>>
>>32999376
>Yamcha
>One of main trio in the beginning
>Now become laughing stock
>>
>>32999591
Fuck off, tripfag.
>>
>>32999699
>tripfag
Newfag, pls.
>>
>want to retell the beginning of Ash's journey to new viewers
>replace his companions and rival with literally whos

What did they mean by this?
>>
>>32999757
Ash's companions and rivals have literally nothing to do with the story of how Ash and Pikachu met.
If anything, they're getting removed because he wants the focus to be on the shit that's important.
>>
>>32999757
The movie retells how Ash and Pikachu met. Gary, Misty and the Brockster are irrelevant to that.
>>
>>32999376
This. Dragon Ball does this all the time. The first DB movie was also a retelling. The DBZ movies are all set in alternate timelines. Why do people get so pissed about this Pokémon movie when it's just that. Fucking babies.
>>
>we also thought of potentially doing a story where the entire all star cast comes together

Huge cataclysmic Ultra Beast storyline over many movies. Ash calls on old friends and pokemon in a series of huge battles to save Alola - Misty, Brock, Tracey, May, Max, Dawn, Iris, Cilan, Serena, Clemont in tag teams using familiar pokemon to send them back to the Ultra Dimension.

Bulbasaur, Charizard, Glalie, Quilava, Corphish and Co return, with some mega evolutions coming into play for many trainers.

Side story with Jessie and James and Meowth against Guzma and Team Skull.

IT COULD HAVE BEEN GLORIOUS
>>
>>32999786
>Ash's companions and rivals have literally nothing to do with the story of how Ash and Pikachu met

Gary getting the las starter, Ash getting Misty bike to hurry up.

If anything, they're getting removed because he wants the focus to be on the shit that's important.

Yeah a trio of literally whos are really important and add more than a trio of iconic characters.
>>
>>32999810
Something I've observed about the Pokemon fandom is that they have an autistic obsession with having even the most inane of things explained, and end up overthinking about shit that doesn't need to make sense.
>>
File: chrome_2017-07-10_17-52-28.png (231KB, 537x736px) Image search: [Google]
chrome_2017-07-10_17-52-28.png
231KB, 537x736px
>my city's only anime community
>owner of it post shit like this and having it as his own blogpost
>>
File: maxresdefault (19).jpg (132KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (19).jpg
132KB, 1280x720px
>>32999821
>trio of iconic characters.
>>
>>32999815

>May

Never because her VA doesn't do voice acting anymore, they'd have to recast her
>>
>>32999815
If you think the anime would have ever done *that*, then you need to go see a doctor. You might have legit mental issues.
>>
>>32999821
Someone getting the last starter is important. Who it was isn't important. According to one person that saw the movie, we DO actually see Gary for a few seconds too, literally just showing him getting Squirtle.

Ash running into Misty and stealing her bike to use for a few seconds of the Spearow chase scene is unimportant. The manga adaptation literally just cuts from "Ash and the injured Pikachu runs from Spearow" to "it starts raining" and changes "Ash falls off the bike" to "Ash gets tackled by some Spearow and falls down". It changes absolutely nothing about the actual plot. Misty and her bike was a completely irrelevant part of it.
>>
>>32999845
Fuck shitaku
>>
So why is that people are mad about this movie after the screening? What happened?
>>
>>32999881
People that had just barely heard of the movie just read on "gaming journalism" sites that muh Misty isn't in the movie.
>>
>>32999900
That's the only think I could find, but its that it?
I hate the anime and haven't watched since Jhoto (and a few tidbits) but we knew Misty wasn't gonna be in the movie for months.
>>
Personally I find the funniest part of this is not the Genwunners reaction but the fact it took the mainstream media this long to find out something we have know for months.
>>
>>32999919
That's literally it. The kind of faggots that use Kotaku for news and had MAYBE just vaguely heard about this movie before yesterday just threw a fit because Kotaku spoiled half a year old "news" for them.

It's the same kind of people that write those angry articles you sometimes see about they just learned the Pokemon anime is still on air and wrote Misty out years ago, which is raping their childhood. These people would've never even considered seeing this movie, and wouldn't have remembered it even existed had they not read this article.
>>
>>32999864
>Someone getting the last starter is important. Who it was isn't important.

Ash's Childhood rival and one of the reasons Ash wants to be a good pokemon trainer isn't important?

>Ash running into Misty and stealing her bike to use for a few seconds of the Spearow chase scene is unimportant.

Maybe wasn't "important" but falling off the bike with an injured Pikachu was dramatic as fuck and adds an emotional impact.
>>
>>32999920
Its sadly a trend, they only care about reporting it when it can be of interest. Which makes a bit of sense, but what annoys me is that they act like its something new instead of at least admitting the information is old.

Like a year or so ago I saw the 2020 tokyo olympics anime merchandise on /a/, months later news sites all over the place are talking about Goku and the other characters being official representatives or something. Its weird.

>>32999944
I see, thanks for clarifying.
>>
File: 28.jpg (2MB, 1783x2687px)
28.jpg
2MB, 1783x2687px
>>32999953
>Maybe wasn't "important" but falling off the bike with an injured Pikachu was dramatic as fuck and adds an emotional impact.

Anon, it's literally the same shit just without a bike there.
>>
>>32999971
If anything that's MORE dramatic since getting attacked by birds so hard you fall off a bike requires a lot less impact that getting attacked by birds so hard you fall to the ground and drop what you're carrying in your hands.

They actually improved it. Based movie.
>>
>>32999953
>Ash's Childhood rival and one of the reasons Ash wants to be a good pokemon trainer isn't important
For the plot of the movie, no. You're forgetting that the movie is basically:
>10-15 minutes of a retelling of how Ash and Pikachu met, up until the part when they see rainbow turkey flying away
>around hour and a half of a movie story that has zero bearing nor relation to the main anime

The part about the bike isn't even an argument. Also:
>reddit spacing
>>
>>32999971
Also the bike was credible reason for Ash getting his first companion, not a forced shit like running into a motherfucking Entei out of nowhere.

>>33000043
I don't even know what's that, are you already using the fuck off Reddit excuse?
>>
>>33000067
>I don't even know what's that, are you already using the fuck off Reddit excuse?
Not him, but he refers to the fact you used a space between the quote and your text. Its apparently a reddit thing despite the fact reddit doesn't really work that way.

Yes, some people get mad over that.
>>
>>33000067
He didn't get Brock as a companion because he stole and wrecked his bike, so apparently even the most autistic genwunners think there are other ways to gain companions.
Guess the bike scene wasn't necessary, then.
>>
>>32999376
>>32999591
why are you comparing something where the canon is the manga to something where the canon is the anime?
>>
>>33000112
>Dragonball anime starts with Goku running into Pilaf on his first quest
>the first movie is a retelling, but Pilaf never appears
>Pilaf later appears in the anime for revenge multiple times. The new characters from that movie never appear again
By your logic that movie officially retconned Pilaf out of anime continuity or something.
>>
>>33000112
Because it's the same principle for the anime and the movie, regardless of canonicity.
>>
>>32999353
Wait what? That sounds pretty neat, which one? I've only read the manga.
>>
>>32999343
>Iris deserving anything nice
>>
>>33000176
Its a retelling of the arc where they meet Chopper, but it came out when Franky and Robin(and I was sure Brook too but I might have forgotten) have already joined so its an alternative take with them already in the crew.

Can't tell you if its good because I forgot all about it as with most OP movies.
>>
File: 1499629461740.jpg (325KB, 686x998px) Image search: [Google]
1499629461740.jpg
325KB, 686x998px
>>32999283
We need to learn if there's a connection between Makoto and Cynthia.
>>
>>33000199
I'll look into it, in any event. The only movie I know about is that one with the evil flower.
>>
File: 1468093311383.png (284KB, 800x800px)
1468093311383.png
284KB, 800x800px
>>32999283
knowing that marshadow got his movies there are 2 possibilities for a sun & moon movie

>necrozma
>multiverse alola?
>gen 8 mon cameo

I'm not including UBs because I'm sure they're gonna get an anime arc
>>
>>33000176
>>33000199
>>33000219
http://onepiece.wikia.com/wiki/Episode_of_Chopper_Plus:_Bloom_in_Winter,_Miracle_Sakura
It's pretty okay. The previous movie, Episode of Alabasta, was a similar retelling of the Alabasta arc, but that one was largely considered a rushed piece of crap that tries stuffing way too much plot into way too little time. The Drum movie works because it was a short enough story in the first place.

And this is why all the people that wanted this movie to cover the entire Kanto arc of the anime were idiots.
Thread posts: 63
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.