[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>mfw Emerald was a better R/S remake than ORAS was

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

File: 1380850240019.png (142KB, 225x259px) Image search: [Google]
1380850240019.png
142KB, 225x259px
>mfw Emerald was a better R/S remake than ORAS was
>>
File: sad.png (22KB, 530x444px) Image search: [Google]
sad.png
22KB, 530x444px
>>
Better iteration, sure.
>>
ORAS don't even feel like remakes at this point.

They took the base structure that RS had and did it's own thing with it.
>>
We have to remember the past, anons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsZYyP-fofk
>>
Emerald wasn't a remake.
But if we're comparing Emerald to R/S and ORAS to R/S then ORAS wins.
>>
In a lot of ways, ORAS is a downgrade from the originals. Something I always admired about Hoenn is how seamless the overworld is. There's very few gates between routes, and in RSE, you can start at Oldale, go through Petalburgh, Dewford, Slateport, and end up back at Oldale, all without a single loading screen. In ORAS, there's a loading screen between nearly every route and town. Since Hoenn is one of the more beautiful regions in Pokémon, I think the loss of immersion when wandering the overworld hits this game harder than it would any of the others.

Much has also been said about the lack of a Battle Frontier, and while ORAS's Battle Resort is a bit better than XY's Kiloude City, and a great step up from RS's Battle Tower, there's no ignoring the fact that Emerald still exists, and it has both a more seamless overworld and a much more extensive Battle Facility, even without Triple or Rotation Battles.
>>
>>22086640
I also personally believe Generation 3 has a much better battle engine than Generation 6's, although I realize there's a strong argument to be made for the opposite. While I do like the post-gen 4 Physical/Special split and many of the new abilities, items, and Pokémon, I think Gen 3's meta is still perfectly fine without any of that, and the animations themselves manage to be much clearer-looking and faster-paced than the ones in Generation 6.

All these thoughts entered my head a day or two after I was stunned by the absolute brilliance of the opening. For the first time in the series, they managed to make the Professor's opening speech visually interesting. My initial feeling of being pleasantly surprised slowly turned to disappointment.

Then a really fucking weird thing started happening: I actually started liking the story. RSE had what I hold to be the absolute worst story in Pokémon history, but I never really cared that much. The story in Pokémon is pretty much incidental, to the point where a lot of people just ignore it entirely when writing reinterpretations of their playthroughs. Still, it's worth noting that every other team had a motive that wasn't entirely stupid, and the rival usually has a bit more personality or provides more of a challenge than May/Brendan ever did. Not only are May and Brendan much less boring to fight now, but the 3D animations have given the dialog, which is otherwise largely the same, a very different feel. It's very cute.
>>
>>22086651
Of course, Wally was always the better rival, and his character arc has been kept in tact, and also made better by aesthetics. The last fight with him in the main story is much better now, with a new battle theme and taking place in a much more climactic-looking area. The only thing that even slightly bothered me was that he uses a Gallade rather than a Gardevoir, but this is only because Gardevoir used to be his signature Pokémon. Gallade is just as good, but it feels like an unnecessary change. Two postgame touches that also improved Wally's character were him sticking around to protect his parents in the Delta Episode and being able to fight by his side at the Battle Maison. These things show that he's become much stronger, and are crucial to how I perceived him, since he was actually quite easy in his Victory Road battle.

I don't know that I would have enjoyed AlphaSapphire as much. Maxie's motivation used to be "Land rules, water drools." Archie's was the exact opposite. Those have been changed to being mere metaphors for their real ideas. Maxie wants to use the power of Groudon to rule the world, so that he can allow scientific advancement to accelerate, unhindered by concern for morality or nature. Archie, on the other hand, wants to use Kyogre to destroy humanity so that nature can heal itself.
>>
>>22086663
I'm not sure exactly how Archie uses water as a metaphor for what he wants, but Maxie says shit like, "With Groudon, I will create a new landscape for mankind to stand on," and then explains what he means by that. Magma might actually be my new favorite team because of this. Advancing humanity is a new motive for Pokémon, but more importantly, I'm a millennial nerd, so of course I love the science-obsessed one.

Of course, I do appreciate that AlphaSapphire exists, since I'd never really know Archie's motives just by playing OmegaRuby, and the contrast between him and Maxie ties into the "Truth vs Ideals" theme this series has been pushing since Black and White, and is even referenced word for word in the Delta Episode.

Speaking of which, the Delta Episode managed to be as good as I could have hoped for upon hearing about it. Zinnia is a very interesting character (I'd argue the best since N), and it was interesting how they worked in a meta concept like the fact that you're playing a remake into the plot.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think ORAS is a groundbreaking work of literature or anything, but I did enjoy the story for the nice touches it had. On paper, the Generation 5 games definitely had a better story, but the writing was absolutely garbage. This time around, the story is told much more fluidly, though there are still times when it gets far too stiff and wordy. Zinnia's conversation with the scientist, for example, is possibly the worst explanation of multiverse theory I've ever heard.
>>
>>22086675
It's hard to concisely pin down what's better and worse about ORAS compared to RSE. In some places, the aesthetics are better. In others, they're much worse. The music is finally remastered in a soundfont that isn't terrible, but a lot of it has a strange new tempo, or the notes are off. There's a postgame story which greatly enhances things, but the rest of the postgame is very barren compared to Emerald. In some ways the hardware is used well, like StreetPass Bases or analog movement, but in others it's used terribly, like having to use the camera during contests, or the fact that the 3DS is unable to process the game at a steady framerate.

I think FRLG renders Red and Blue obsolete. HGSS renders Gold, Silver, and Crystal obsolete. I think ORAS is different enough from Ruby, Sapphire, and especially Emerald that there's room for both to exist in the contemporary Pokémon zeitgeist.
>>
>>22086623
aayy lmao.
>>
>>22086634
Cancer
>>
>>22086567
How so? Literally the only thing Emerald had over ORAS was the Frontier.

Gym Leader rematches weren't really that important, at least for me.
>>
I'm sorry
>>
>>22086761
The plot? It had tons of shit ORAS doesnt have.
>>
>>22086804
Well ORAS had plenty of plot that Emerald didn't.
>>
>>22086804
>The plot

If you include Delta Episode, ORAS outweighs Emerald.
>>
>>22086640
I'm pretty sure that's the hardware's fault. Like, the 3DS literally could not handle having the whole world loaded at once like the GBA could with RSE.
>>
>>22086751
Emerald was a remake.
But if we're not comparing Emerald to R/S and ORAS to R/S then ORAS loses.
>>
>>22086640
>>22086651
>>22086663
>>22086675
>>22086686
>a civil, mature debate regarding ORAS
>on vee pee
>one month prior to 2015
I must be in the Twilight Zone
>>
File: buttscab !!TORtoOQMEfy.jpg (36KB, 820x95px) Image search: [Google]
buttscab !!TORtoOQMEfy.jpg
36KB, 820x95px
>>22086872
>>
>>22086879
All the children are asleep.

Except for buttscab.
>>
>>22086864
The GBA doesn't load the whole world, it just loads and unloads areas as you get closer and farther away from them. I'm sure there's a reason this wasn't plausible to do on 3DS, but then what's the advantage to playing on 3DS?
>>
>>22086888
>All the children are asleep.
That's what you think, friend.
>>
>>22086891
I think it's just a case of the expectations of graphics expanding faster than the hardware. I mean, given that, and the framerate drops on multibattles and in 3D mode, it seems like XY and ORAS are really pushing the limit for what the 3DS is capable of.
>>
>>22086567
>Frontier
>60 fps
>quite difficult (lots of double battles which - ingame-wise ARE harder than single battles)
>gym leader rematches
>no cut/casualized content
I'd say it's a matter of preference because ORAS also had a lot of nice things (plus up-to-date game mechanics). But I personally prefer the former.
>>
>>22086640
>>22086651
>>22086663
>>22086675
>>22086686
Christ, an actually intelligent "review" on /vp/ today? Wow.

>like having to use the camera during contests
Come on guys you know you can turn it off.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.