[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Gentlemen, how do we fix the Grass Type?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 150
Thread images: 8

File: spiky shield.gif (646KB, 500x360px) Image search: [Google]
spiky shield.gif
646KB, 500x360px
Gentlemen, how do we fix the Grass Type?
>>
>>20831517
By giving all Grass types a mega
/thread
>>
>>20831517
>Add resistance to Rock and Fighting
>Takes neutral damage from and does neutral damage to Poison

???
>>
>>20831517
It deserved a fairy resist. It makes more sense than fire resisting it. Otherwise, I can't think of any ok thematic ways to do it.
>>
>>20831530
Rock and Fighting resistance would probably be enough.
>>
>>20831529
Game Freak employee pls go
>>
File: talonflame-3.gif (243KB, 192x192px) Image search: [Google]
talonflame-3.gif
243KB, 192x192px
>>20831517
I'd start here.
>>
>>20831517
Resist Steel and Fairy
Neutral against Steel
Earth Power more readily available among Grass types
>>
>>20831517
Very easy. They should gain boost in Def/SpDef in rain and speed boost in sun.
Chrolophile ability would become a leftovers-like restoration
>>
>>20831545
>>20831559
>>20831562
So sick of these autistic foot fetishes losers
>>
Give them bulk, Thick Fat, and Poison secondary typing.
>>
>>20831517
resist fairy and fighting

>>20831560 also makes sense in some sort. Id give it more spdef in rain and more atk/spa in sun instead.
>>
resistance to ground so every grass/poison isn't fucking by earthquake
>>
>>20831623
what
>>
>>20831532
this
>>
>>20831623
But Grass allready resists Ground. Grass/Poison gets fucked by Earthquake because Poison cancels the Ground resistance into a neutrality dumbass
>>
>>20831530
>>20831622
fighting resist doesn't make sense since karate masters karate chop wood on a daily basis

also, fighting has already been nerfed this gen, if anything, the fairy resists makes most sense thematically and balance-wise

although I prefer your idea about weather
>>
File: 1409062122572.jpg (66KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1409062122572.jpg
66KB, 640x480px
Grass is immune to Fairy and resists Steel and loses its Flying weakness.
>>
>>20832000
Resists STEEL? How the hell am I suppose to mow my lawn now!?
>>
>>20831517
Make more great water types OU. Remove Talonflame.
>>
>>20832062
>Make more great water types OU
Sounds good on paper until you realize that every single water type pokemon ever has ice beam except for Keldeo and Magikarp.
>>
A resistance or immunity to Fairy should do the trick. There's literally nothing that could ever go wrong from that.
>>
>>20832047
With a flame thrower
>>
File: image.jpg (73KB, 453x500px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
73KB, 453x500px
>>20831529
>/thread-ing your own post
>>
>>20832098

tfw Whimsicott immune to Dragon and Fairy. I can dream.
>>
>>20832083
Unstabbed ice beam usually hurts less than a STAB grass move.
>>
The whole effectiveness chart is a little wonky.

Poison should be supereffective against water
Grass should resist Fairy and Rock, Grass should do neutral damage to Poison
Fairy should not resist Bug
>>
Grass is now weak to Fire and Poison.
Grass now resists Grass, Water, Electric and Ground.
Grass is now Super Effective on Water, Ground and Rock.
Grass is now Not Very Effective against Dragon, Grass and Fire
>>
>>20831517
Grass now resists fairy
Grass is no longer weak to flying
Dragon and steel lose its resistance to grass
>>
>>20832000
If anything, Steel type should be super-effective against Grass.
>>
It shouldn't get fixed, grass has already the privilege to be SE to my precious water types, that's why it deserves all the nerfs possible, the spore/seed immunity is more than enough.
>>
Make them immune to talonflame attacks
>>
>>20832261
This. Nature reclaims old buildings and shit really quickly.
>>
>>20831517
resist against fighting, ground and steel
>>
create a grass type extremespped that has 50% chances of flinching putting the opponent to sleep
>>
>>20831662
>implying wood are grass
>>
Do nothing at all. I always started with bulbasaur in gen 1 because it meant having an immediate type advantage over brock and misty. Grass being weak to fire, bug, flying, ice and poison all make real world sense. Not that that's ever stopped them before (bug ×2 against psychic??? REASONS!)
>>
>>20832277
Fuck off Masuda
>>
>>20832150
> steel loses its resistance to grass

This. Just with how steel was introduced in gen II and the distictive steel type at the time being Steelix (don't even lie to yourself by saying that isn't factual), it always rubbed me wrong that steel and rock weren't close enough that it was damaged by water and resistant to grass.
>>
dragon loses its resistance to it
>>
Grass is already a good defensive typing, it's just that there's very few good defensive grasses and people only use the handful of very good ones (Venusaur, Amoonguss, Ferrothorn, Chesnaught on occasion.)
>>
>>20831530

i dunno why i always thought that grass types resisted rocks
>>
>>20832496
>defensive type
>grass
>5 weaknesses
>>
>>20832541
>Bug and Poison
Wow it's fucking nothing, and three of the four things I mentioned are neutral/immune to these (and Chesnaught is immune to Sludge Bomb.) This is why basically every good defensive pokemon (well, offensive ones too) is dual-typed: mono-types have shit for resistances, the only way you can get away with being a defensive mono-type is A). be as ridiculously fat as Chansey or Cresselia, or B). be Fairy or Water typed.

Plus, Flying is exclusively used as STAB. Meanwhile you have Water, Electric and GROUND resist, which are all very useful. It's somewhat niche as a defensive typing but it's very good for Azumarill, Keldeo, Mega Gyarados, Excadrill, Lando-T, Rotom-W, Kingdra and the rest of the rain crew, and a lot of other stuff.
>>
>>20831517
There should probably be more high-powered Grass types. I'd love for a Pseudo or full legendary to be a Grass type.
>>
>>20831662
>don't know sudoowoodo is not a grass type
>>
Defensive grass types are actually doing okay.

Offensive grass types need some fucking moves. Sceptile and Liligant immediately come to mind. Sure is nice relying on Focus Miss and Hidden Power for coverage, or that shitty swords dance set on Sceptile.
>>
>>20832386
>implying bug x2 psychic is nonsense

the most common phobias around the world are these :

Nyctophobia

Phasmophobia

Entomophobia

psychic has a brilliant background
>>
>resistant two 2 common physical and special attacking types
>immunity to leech seed and powder moves
>offers great synergy with other types

it doesn't need fixing
>>
>>20832607
Oh yeah and grasses get Leech Seed. That's something.
>>
>>20832316
Nature's tenacity to reclaim land would better explain an advantage over Steel rather than a resistance, and this is already better represented by it's strength against Ground and Rock.
>>
>>20832353
Blame that on Gamefreak. "Grass" has been made a catch-all typing for everything from flowers to fungus, and you know that.
>>
Give my favorite Grass-type a mega that gives her fire resistance, please. Ground-Grass Liligant that keeps her Own Tempo as ability.
>>
>>20832735
Why is water even SE against Rock and not Ice? Ice can cracks rocks easy. Water causes erosion but so does wind and Flying is resisted by Rock.

Make Water resistes by Rock to make Grass more viable.
>>
>>20831517
>Get a fairy resist
>Make all grass mons hydrate in rain
That's all i can think of
>>
File: 1398528126630.jpg (24KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1398528126630.jpg
24KB, 300x300px
Resisting Fairy and Rock sounds good, though I'd like for Rock type moves to get some fucking accuracy in exchange.
>>
>>20832842
Make a rock psychical version of flamer thrower/ice beam/thunder bolt
>>
>>20832909

Give Smackdown 90 BP
>>
File: grass is shit.png (11KB, 253x306px) Image search: [Google]
grass is shit.png
11KB, 253x306px
>>20831662
>fighting resist doesn't make sense since karate masters karate chop wood on a daily basis
I think you stole this from a joke post I recently saw on here explaining why grass should be weak to everything since dragons eat it, steel cuts it etc.

Not saying my image fixes it though and it probably weakens a lot of other types, like poison, I'm just trying to apply real world logic.
>>
>>20832633
Need shit like Earth Power (definitely fits with nature theme imo)

Power Gem is a stretch, but they could REALLY use that shit.
>>
They fixed it already, the fix was called Mega Venusaur.
Ok guys, let's give Blastoise the shaft. Literally. A long, metal one. Done. Good. Now give Charizard 2 OP Megas and shove it down everyone's throat. Very Good. What's that? We forgot Venusaur? Fuck it, let's make the fat fuck nigh immortal for shits and giggles
>>
>>20831532
It should have resisted and been SE against fairy
>>
>>20832353
Name literally one pokemon based on grass besides Shaymin
>>
>>20833603
Name literally one pokemon based on wood besides Trevenant & Shiftry.
>>
>>20833646

Torterra has a tree growing out of it's back
>>
>>20833646

Sudowoodo
>>
>>20831530
The poison weakness makes sense.
>>
>>20833675
rock

>>20833663
will it die if a fighter hits its tree off?

>>20833685
because poison poisons plants especially well compared to any other living being
>>
Just give it a rock type or fairy type resistance or immunity, and it should be fine. Rock type resistance in particular would allow grass type pokemon in general to not get hurt by stealth rocks.

Then we can see if grass type is still too weak to deserve another buff or not.
>>
>>20833076
the problem with buffing grass is it usually ends up nerfing other bad types
>poison now only SE against fairy
>bug is an even worst offensive type
>>
File: 1407281205202.jpg (16KB, 204x199px) Image search: [Google]
1407281205202.jpg
16KB, 204x199px
>>20833722
>rock
>implying that matters
>>
Add a Rock/Fairy Resistance, retool abilities.
>>
>discussing what can't be changed
Why do you do this to yourselves?
>>
>>20831517
How do we get rid of Fighting from all 3 starters in Gen 7?
>>
>>20834213
>3
You mean 4. Blaziken, Infernape, Emboar and Chesnaught.
>>
>>20831601
make every grass mon to amoonguss or venusaur
>>
>>20831517
Remove the Flying weakness. Birds vs Plants didn't ever make sense after all, and plants are rooted deep into the ground to resist wind.

Then make it resist rock. has anyone ever killed a plant by throwing that stuff at it?, It doesn't make sense.

Spread Earth Power among them.

Make it inmune to Water

Also this: >>20831560 >>20831622

Grass should be the type that benefits the most from weather conditions. Give them a mixed defensive 40% boost under Rain and a Mixed offensive 40% boost under Sun, but in exchange make them receive double damage from sand and hail.
>>
>>20832110
10/10 post.
>>
>>20832351
Fuck off goddamn moron.
>>
>>20832452
This doesn't make any sense.
>>
SE vs. and Resists Fairy
Resists Rock
>>
>>20831517
Step one: stop giving offensive type combinations to defensive Pokemon
Step two: repeat step one on Ice and Rock

That said, Grass really doesn't need much in the way of fixing right now. There are three Grass-types that are solidly OU, and a few others that are capable of holding their own there. For the record, there is exactly one Ghost-type left in that tier, and even before the bans there were fewer Ghosts than Grasses.
>but those are dual-typed!
Yes, because most monotypes are shit. The only exceptions tend to be pink.

Oddly enough, Chesnaught might've done better as a Grass/Rock type even though Rock on its own is actually worse than Grass right now.
>>
>>20832469
>>20832623
>>20832781
>>20832797
>>20833590
>>20833546
>>20833745

Nonsense as well
>>
>>20833546
>all grass types and the type itself are saved by the presence of one pokemon
Also,
>Grass now immune to Fairy
>Looses being resisted by Flying (Flying no resists itself)
>Gets Sp.Def boost in sunny weather
>Gets Def boost in rainy weather
>Rain doubles Rototiller's buff

And more controversially-
>New weather condition learnt only by Grass types; Sunshower.
>Rains and is sunny at the same time, indicated by a rainbow.
>Makes all Grass and Bug type moves have their effectiveness upped 1 e.g. Power Whip would do normal damage against Pidgeot.
>Does not provide the same buffs sunny or rainy weather do, but does activate abilities that require weather.
>lasts only up to 5 turns but stops either Sunny Day/Drought and Rain Dance/Drizzle working, since it is technically already sunny and rainy.
>Can be cancelled out by Sandstorm or Hail
>>
>>20834521
You again. Why shouldn't Grass be immune, resist or be SE against Fairy?
>>
>>20834490
Chesnaught would be better as a Grass/Steel combo.
It make sense since he's primarily denfesive based.
>>
>>20834521
Expanding on my previous post...

>>20832469
Dragon should keep the resistance to it. It being resistant to all starter types is the whole fucking point of the typing, plus, there's no logical reason for big-ass dragon coated with thousands of close-knit scales not to resist punny grass.

>>20832623
>>20832781
>>20833546
These do not fix absolutely anything. Having stronger grass types or an actual good one in Venasaur doesn't do shit for the typing itself, and I'm not even going to get started that thinks that giving a Mega to his precious waifu solves anything. Fucking retard.

>>20832797
This ain't a bad idea but I don't think it's the way to go around it. Water doesn't need a nerf for grass to be good, after all, having less pokemon in the meta that are hit SE by grass would be bad for the typing.

>>20833745
>>20833590
This shit. This fucking shit. I'm so. Goddamn. Tired. Of. It. It's everyone's solution for everything. "Hey!, This typing could be better!, We'll just make it resist/hit SE that new typing without any real reason!"... It's simply lazy as fuck.
>>
>>20833603
Shaymin isn't really based on grass, either. The closest one I can think of is Oddish and possibly Skiddo/Gogoat due to Grass Pelt.
>>20834600
Well, yeah. I was trying to look at a less obvious option.

Question for everyone in this thread:
Looking at http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/grass.shtml, how many Grass-types actually have OU-caliber stat spreads? Note that things like Azumarill, Breloom, and Clefable can be OU without seeming to have the stats for it, while Archeops is a good example of the reverse. This is also a rather subjective question, I just want to see what /vp/ thinks can and should be saved.
>>
>>20834526
Sunshower was interesting until...
>Makes all Grass and Bug type moves have their effectiveness upped 1 e.g. Power Whip would do normal damage against Pidgeot.
... That's unbelievably OP bro. Everything weak to grass would be weak x4 and everything neutral to eat would receive double damage as well. Needs much nerfing.
>>
>>20834538
To be fair, Fairy type is supposed to be an OP type, just like Dragon type. It wouldn't make sense to make Fairy type weaker.
>>
>>20834815
And yet, they nerfed the OP Dragon type this generation and nerfed Steel's god resistances. Fairy is actually really fucking good as a type, too damn good. It'd be a good start in buffing Grass and nerfing Fairy if Grass were to resist Fairy.
>>
Grass types got a small buff this gen, with all being immune to powder moves no matter what. I think grass types just need another few small buffs along these lines.

I'm thinking they should also be able to receive more HP from moves like Giga Drain, which should be boosted from 75 to 90, along with Horn Leech. Energy Ball can be boosted to 100, which it should have been in the first place.

Leech Seed should be boosted to 100 accuracy, which is dumb that it isn't, or similar to Poison types with Toxic, when a grass type uses Leech Seed it should never miss.

The type chart changes suggested in this thread so far haven't really made much sense, while I understand Pokemon as a whole doesn't make much sense, we should try to be reasonable with them.

I think Grass Types should be given a complete, flat immunity to water type moves instead of just resisting them. I think we these small changes, Grass would be a much more viable type.

Really, the type that needs help more than anything is Ice. It's completely horrendous and Freeze Dry got terrible distribution. It doesn't make sense that Ice is weak to fighting, which should just be neutral, and it should get to resist Dragon type moves as well instead of being neutral.
>>
>>20831517

Not resisted by Flying, immune to Fairy, all Grass types learn Earth Power and Stone Edge by level up.
>>
>>20835169

Powder moves thing was a nerf, since it only impacts moves that are nearly Grass exclusive and there's an item and ability that replicate the effect.

Grass' weaknesses already don't make sense, being weak to Flying, Poison and Ice for no real specific reason.

Ice is at least a good attacking type.
>>
>>20835212
Poison and Ice make sense. I can see why Flying should just be neutral since it's not like birds ruin plants or anything.
>>
A new move called grass of death which is a one hit knockout move that has 30 accuracy and 70 accuracy when it's against a pokemon that grass types resist and only grass types can use it.
>>
>>20833646
Abomasnow
>>
>>20835296
you must be really excited to start 8th grade this year
>>
>>20835169
>Dragon
>Resisted by 2 and inmune to one while being weak to 3 types
>4 Resistances

>Normal
>Resisted by 2 and inmune to one while being weak to one single type
>Inmune to the type that's inmune to it.

It would almost be objectively worse than Normal dude.
>>
>>20835438
Explain
>>
>>20835296
>Grass of death
Pffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffftttt

Also, Shiggy Diggy Doo
>>
>>20835242
>what are hurricanes
>>
>>20835296
I changed my mind, I call it grassy death now
>>
>>20835546
Actually plants are resistent to those since they are firmly rooted into the ground.

How many trees fall comepared to how many cars are simply blown the fuck out of existence?
>>
>>20835242

Poison is deadly to animals too. Should be SE on normal.
Ice kills animals, plants mostly hibernate or allow their aboveground components to die and then regrow in the spring. Should be SE on normal.
>>
>>20835820
It depends on the climate those plants are found though.

Unleash a blizard in a tropical jungle and you'll see what I'm talking about.
>>
>>20832110
11/10 would buy
>>
>>20832781
>her
You're the weird kid at school aren't you.
>>
>>20835496
God you're stupid.
>>
>>20837180
>Lilligant is 100% female
>>
>>20832140
Hey, no need to nerf Ice types, they already got very little going for them
>>
>>20837180

>getting autistic over that shit

You're that annoying kid on 4chan, aren't you
>>
Add a Fairy resistance
Create a grass-type rapid spinner
>>
>>20831517
Stop trying to make them defensive.
>>
Flying beating grass really doesn't make much sense, we can always get rid of that. "HURR BUT BIRDS FLY AND PLANT IS ON THE GROUND!"

Pretty much all of the other weaknesses/resistances/Super Effective relations make sense
>>
Grass is fine. And by fine, I mean that Bug, Psychic, and Ice are worse.
>>
>>20837216
I am a lot smarter than you'll ever be
>>
>>20831517
There is absolutely nothing wrong wtih grass types imo. No matter what tier I play, grass types always seem to destroy my team when i lose. fucking powders and leech seed fuck me up
>>
Make Solar Beam a Fire-type move so they have better coverage.
>>
>>20833646
Torterra
Abomasnow
Exeggutor
Venusaur's flower has a wooden trunk
Whimsicott arguably has bark-like body
Sawsbuck has wooden horns
>>
>>20831517
Give them moves that aren't just Grass and Poison.
>>
So many good grass types.
>>
>>20831530
>Takes neutral damage from and does neutral damage to Poison
Yeah lets just make Poison more shit to help another type that isn't as bad as it.
>>
>>20840204
What do you mean?
>>
Nerf Gale Wings and grass becomes at least usable again

It was decent before at least and being immune to powder was a nice thing. Mushroomball dominated VGC Doubles and stuff like Dinoflower did pretty great in OU. Even stuff like Roserade and Breloom had its uses

Being weak to flying makes things outright unusuable nowadays
>>
>>20840365
But Poison is an excellent defensive types. It's only weak to Ground and Psychic
>>
>>20831517
resistance to fairy, because fairies can't harm nature
>>
>>20836255

This is also true of animals.

Ice should be SE on normal and fire.
>>
Resistance to steal and fighting because you can't fuck with mother nature
>>
>>20831560
Late to the party, but for anyone with shitty ideas.
Just think about it.
>Rain Ferrothorn.
>Sun Breloom.
>>
>>20840555
>It's only weak to Ground

That's all it takes in a metagame where fucking Garchomp is literally everywhere.
>>
>>20834400
>All Grass types get auto water absorb capabilities

that's not a bad idea :^)
>>
>>20831517
Removed weakness to Flying and better coverage moves available are all it needs.
>>
>>20831517
sip sapper now raises attack 2 stages.
>>
>>20842017

That's a nerf. Grass moves are suddenly much more dangerous to use, and Sap Sipper isn't even restricted to Grass types like most absorption abilities.
>>
First, add a fairy and a fighting resistance. Grass has always been shown to be primarily defensive so being able to resist two very powerful offensive types is a given.

The idea of it resisting powders is cool right now
>>
>>20837485
are you serious? grass is awful offensively, but it's pretty good defensively. i'd say it was really good in previous gens, but gen 6 made fire/flying/poison a lot more common so now it's notably worse. anyways i don't think grass really needs to be fixed, but losing a weakness and offensive resistance couldn't hurt.
>>
>>20837180
>100% female

Liligant can't be an it.
>>
>>20831517

They just need more moves. Grass types have notoriously shallow movepools outside of support options.
>>
>>20831517
The problem with grass types is that they're just really good at countering other grass types. The entire type is stagnating.
>>
>>20834451
What if it has a maximum of 1 PP?
>>
>>20833685

Not really. Plants cure poison.
>>
>>20834648
It was meant to be a reversed-Filter for opponents, which I've now found out is more like a 1.5 boost as opposed to straight up "normal -> Super effective".
Not to mention Grass and Bug attacking moves aren't used that often anyway, mostly because they're resisted by too many types
Offensive Grass mons aren't common either, so it'd be a nice enough buff (and you'd have to decide whether you'd want a more defensive mon with the sunny or rainy defence boosts, or offensively with the sunshower attack boost)

At the very least, I could make it "Grass and Bug moves are no longer resisted when Sunshower is in play" so they do neutral against a Steel type but wont obliterate Rhydon any more than they normally would.
>>
File: gehehe.jpg (79KB, 500x461px) Image search: [Google]
gehehe.jpg
79KB, 500x461px
>>20832110
>>20832111
>>
>>20834648
and ground-water types are a thing. RIP gastrodon, swampert, quagsire
>>
Grass-types need coverage. That's all.

Oh, and Gale Wings should be nerfed.
>>
>>20845457
I really hope this is what a Banette with it's mouth open looks like.
>>
>>20836255
doesn't that just make it a rainforest then?
>>
>>20845884
>Gale wings - Flying type moves have +1 priority, but only hit for 65% of the moves original power

How's that?
>>
>>20831517
2x resistance to Fairy and 4x resistance to Water and Ground would be nice.
Thread posts: 150
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.