[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

agdg - Amateur Game Development Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 754
Thread images: 101

File: cute agdg.png (219KB, 877x600px) Image search: [Google]
cute agdg.png
219KB, 877x600px
Cute devs making cute progress

> Next Demo Day 15 (4 DAYS LEFT) itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-15

> Play Monster Jam itch.io/jam/agdg-monster-jam

> Play Demo Day 14 itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-14

> Helpful links
New Threads: >>>/vg/agdg
Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg
AGDG Steam Games: www.homph.com/steam
AGDG Logo: pastebin.com/iafqz627

Previous Thread: >>180876631
Previous Demo Days: pastebin.com/JqsQerui
Previous Jams: pastebin.com/jAByvH3V

> Engines
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
Godot: godotengine.org
UE4: unrealengine.com
Unity: unity3d.com

> Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org
blender-models.com

> Free audio
freesound.org/browse
freemusicarchive.org
incompetech.com/music
fantasymusica.org

> How to Webm
obsproject.com
nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/geforce-experience/shadowplay
gitgud.io/nixx/WebMConverter
github.com/thetarkus/WebMCam
>>
nth for does your game have C U T E ?
>>
File: >open source software.png (15KB, 697x259px) Image search: [Google]
>open source software.png
15KB, 697x259px
>>
WE
>>
>>180925926
WILL
>>
>>180925926
WUZ
>>
>>180925886
>super emotional
>actually hate technology and has no respect for it or the people who contribute the tools they depend on
Worst kind of programmers.
>>
What's that site that has all the models from old games on it?
>>
>>180925886
x11 is well known to be trash
switch to wayland.
>>
Collab Ad

Project length: ~1 month

I need a programmer. Currently you can still choose what engine/language/framework you want to work in.

Payment: I don't recieve a dime from this and so won't you. Only thing I am after is to put something finished into my portfolio.

About project in general:
I started this project because I wanted to get some practice with working in a team. Also, its an exercise in keeping at it until deadline, no matter what.

About game itself:
>interactive story
>menu based RPG
>futuristic fiction

Questions? Complaints? Suggestions?
>>
File: cap.png (885KB, 916x889px) Image search: [Google]
cap.png
885KB, 916x889px
>>180926056
Trying to remember.
>>
>>180926220
>Complaints
>I don't recieve a dime from this and so won't you
Your grammar isn't very good
>>
>>180926056
Found it
https://www.models-resource.com/nintendo_64/supermario64/
>>
>>180926220

That creature probably has really dry gums and gum disease.

I really hate it when scifi creatures aren't designed intelligently.
>>
>>180926220
>Questions?
Why do you keep posting this shit, when you know nobody is going to work on your """game"""?
>Complaints?
Your idea sucks, your post sucks, you suck
>Suggestions?
Kill yourself
>>
>>180926405
Thanks.
>>
>>180926220
>menu based RPG

So are we talking like turn based rpg? Also what do you do?
>>
>>180926220
>I started this project
And what do you have so far? Nothing.
Wrangling a programmer for free is not going to do anything for your project. Ideaguys cannot gamedev.
>>
>>180926502
>Ideaguys cannot gamedev.
They can. But they need to stop being just ideaguys.
>>
Taking loop requests:
https://soundcloud.com/glitchedtransmission
>>
>>180926220
>Currently you can still choose what engine/language/framework you want to work in.

Wow, better jump on this opportunity quick, I wouldn't want to work for free for a month AND not be able to pick the language.
>>
>>180925806
I'm drawing with aseprite now, how do i store data in it for each frame?
or do u mean that i manually record down each frame's position for the hat then hardcode them down and reposition the hat based on the animation & it's currentFrame?
>>
>>180926015
GEEEYODDSSSSSUH
>>
File: seasons past v29.webm (2MB, 768x432px) Image search: [Google]
seasons past v29.webm
2MB, 768x432px
>>180925789
i removed the objective markers for enemies when they're onscreen, what do you guys think of that and how the game looks in general
>>
desu, this guys perfect for any programmer looking for an idea guy on a sci-fi game. Im sure he could be talked into even genre-hopping.

Exploit idea guys you melons.
>>
>>180926715
This art style is going to put people to sleep. Remedy that and there is much more potential.
>>
>>180926715
pretty good.
give your characters an animation,
give variety to the trees
polish the HUD
create a level of about 30 minutes gameplay
and you're good to early access it.
>>
>>180926921
>art
>art
>design
>make the game
>ready for early access
Sounds right.
>>
File: 51799_640x428[1].jpg (74KB, 642x428px) Image search: [Google]
51799_640x428[1].jpg
74KB, 642x428px
http://poal.me/6cfel3
>>
File: Harmonic - Goal preview.png (196KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
Harmonic - Goal preview.png
196KB, 640x640px
----[ Recap ]----
Game: Harmon:i:c
Dev: AWK
Tools: Godot, Ableton Live
Web: https://awk.itch.io/harmonic, https://twitter.com/AWKgamedev, https://awkgamedev.tumblr.com/
Progress:
+ Finished last two levels for the first chapter
+ Fixed a bunch of bugs
+ Goals now show a preview of the next level and the position the player will be in when entering it
- There's nothing left to do until Demo Day other than fixing some tiny bugs and maybe adding a splash screen with the controls since people don't like to read readmes
>>
>>180926862
>This art style is going to put people to sleep.
as in it's boring or that it's plain? it's meant to be a comfy, non-flashy artstyle
>>180926921
>give your characters an animation,
yeah that's next on my todo list
>give variety to the trees
i'll probably just use different shades
>polish the HUD
any suggestions?
>>
>>180926715
would prefer that there's only one objective marker since the objective seems to be shared to those 3 (I'm assuming it's some quest like "kill these 3 guys"). if there's only 1 objective marker for the 3 of them I imagine it would be positioned at the center of the 3. when one dies, it'll be the center of the 2 instead. when only 1 remains, the marker will be on that last guy.

that's just my preference. what you have looks fine.

regarding combat, I feel like there's not enough challenge there right now (last demoday I tried, it was just a clickfest). what are your plans for that?
>>
>His game isn't a thinly veiled political commentary
>>
>>180926220
But what will you be doing? What do you already have? How can you call it a "Collab Ad" if you don't advertise any part of the actual project you're working on? Are you an artist? A musician? A writer? The word collaboration implies that every member of the team does their part. The way you wrote this post makes it seem like you're just asking for someone else to make the game for you.
>>
>>180926715
>additive shadows
fix that shit
also use better colors so it can stop looking so lame
>>
>>180927229
I agree, this is horrendous
>>
File: il_570xN.136241114.jpg (70KB, 541x700px) Image search: [Google]
il_570xN.136241114.jpg
70KB, 541x700px
>>180927089
>plain? it's meant to be a comfy, non-flashy artstyle
I think light color textures something a little waterpainty would help. Either traditional waterpaint style or something like this pic. Or some other style altogether like construction paper or something. Right now you're making a Flash vector graphics looking game which will cause 90% of eyeballs to immediately dismiss it because it's been the style for web games for over 2 decades online. If you leave the art style as is you will need to make a tremendous game to grab my interest, but maybe that's just me.
>>
File: Yawning2.jpg (310KB, 849x565px) Image search: [Google]
Yawning2.jpg
310KB, 849x565px
>game is political
>>
>>180927089
>polish the HUD
>any suggestions?
the mouse need some clicking animation to que the player
the sword/ring thingy looks just like an ugly placeholder, draw a nicer placeholder

don't forget to put music in too,
and ur main gameplay features
that will make it good enough to go early access.
>>
>>180927229
>also use better colors
ignore these faggots.
the color is good as it is
>>
File: waterpaintblot.jpg (3KB, 67x92px) Image search: [Google]
waterpaintblot.jpg
3KB, 67x92px
>>180927375
Also waterpaint textures can be extremely simple just a single color. Like take one leaf from this tree as an example, make the trees waterpaint textured and you triple the aesthetic value of simple shapes. Very easy to do with little effort and makes big difference.
>>
>>180925789
hey is it ok if the thing i post on the jam kinda sucks right now?
>>
>>180927581
>>180926715
So if each one of these trees were textured like the individual leafs on this >>180927375
That would look cool. Or basically any texture. Anything except flat color.
>>
>>180927089
>it's meant to be a comfy
whoa, whoa there
>everything made of strong geometric shapes to the point of almost techno feel despite the palette
>combat gameplay
how is any of that "comfy"?

>>180927553
TREES ARE GREEN
EVERYTHING ELSE IS BROWN
LOOK MAMA I DID IT
>>
File: 1496157411182.jpg (109KB, 1024x569px) Image search: [Google]
1496157411182.jpg
109KB, 1024x569px
Why aren't you cleaning your code right now?
>>
>>180927702
No, only quality submissions are allowed.
>>
>tfw every time I read the word "God" I think of "Godot"
so... this was their plan all along.
>>
File: Lewd_20cee9_5736430.jpg (71KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
Lewd_20cee9_5736430.jpg
71KB, 600x600px
Why are you using shitty engines like Godot and Unity when GMS 2 exists?
>>
>>180927553
I think having every tree be the same exact color is no bueno. It causes the eye to dismiss everything and kills immersion. Make nature feel like nature.
>>
>>180927148
>would prefer that there's only one objective marker since the objective seems to be shared to those 3 (I'm assuming it's some quest like "kill these 3 guys"). if there's only 1 objective marker for the 3 of them I imagine it would be positioned at the center of the 3. when one dies, it'll be the center of the 2 instead. when only 1 remains, the marker will be on that last guy.
there's a gate object that gets a value increased whenever those things die and when it reaches a certain point it activates and then the enemies don't have those markers anymore
> if there's only 1 objective marker for the 3 of them I imagine it would be positioned at the center of the 3. when one dies
i'm going to use the markers for "go to this point" and then those guys spawn and you have to kill a certain number of them, it's just to prevent players from getting confused and wandering in the wrong direction
>regarding combat, I feel like there's not enough challenge there right now (last demoday I tried, it was just a clickfest). what are your plans for that?
i'm not too sure about challenge, i'll probably focus more on item builds and story, like walk over there and examine this person

maybe i can add some optional flashy attacks like fable did, but i'm focusing more on fun and engagement than challenge, like if you don't take out ranged enemies quickly you might die i guess
>>180927229
>>180927339
i think it's because i'm using transparent shadows/ i made the shadows too light so the character shows up more clearly when it has its shadow mask on

i can tweak the darkness easily enough
>>180927375
i experimented with textures using photoshop but i really need to watch more tutorials

the first textured backgrounds i used looked bad

new post coming up
>>
What's a good stealth game to look at for map design?
>>
>>180927728
Because im like 2 years behind and i need to progress faster.
>>
>>180927853
Mark of the Ninja is my favorite stealth game ever.
>>
>>180927815
>i think it's because i'm using transparent shadows
how many layers of baka are you on?
it's that your shadows get stronger where they overlap.
>>
>>180927229
>>180927719
Gogem I know you're going to give "advice" to this dev because they are actually making a game and not a menu slideshow like the shit you poop onto the internet but please lay off. You can give constructive criticism without being a faggot.
>>
>>180926996
>tfw jams are dead
bootcamps comeback when?
>>
>>180927853
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPqwDGXxLhU
>>
>>180927853
thief of course, it's the only good stealth 3d game
>>
>>180926437
>Why do you keep posting this shit, when you know nobody is going to work on your """game"""?
at first people were like
>where is your game, lol
now, that I have developed it further
>I ain't gonna develop someone else's game

so, do you want to have a say in the creative vision or do you want to work for something which is safe? They are mutually exclusive, anon.

The later someone joins the less say in the design they have, since I ain't gonna reverse the work I have done.

>>180926453
>So are we talking like turn based rpg?
No. Event system based RPG. Like the one in Crusader Kings.

>Also what do you do?
Writing and programming. Would like to focus more on writing.

>>180926502
First week is dedicated to consolidating ideas, brainstorming and stuff like that. The writing part needs a lot of planning. So far I have several pages of the concept document.

Once the concept document is acceptable, a design doc will be made. Design doc will contain what features and how exactly should they function based on the concepts in concept doc. Design doc writing should take a lot less time to write since its just a consolidation of concept doc into things that can be programmed. At the same time I start to formulate the plot based on the worldbuilding in the concept doc. And so forth.

>>180927206
I will be doing project management, programming and writing. I would prefer if I could only do writing and project management.

I have a concept doc.

I did advertise with an actual part of this project in the old thread an hour ago.

How can anyone make this game FOR ME if the estimated 70% of work is writing and I am doing the writing.
>>
>>180927928
bootcamp is literally the same thing as a jam.
>>
>>180927853
T H I E F
And not a sell-by-stealth but Dark Messiah.
>>
>>180927853
These games are not entirely stealth nor good, but worth looking at
Deus Ex and Deus Ex Human Revolution, and maybe Deus Ex Mankind Divided
Payday 2, I guess,
Mark of Ninja and much more
I also advise you to pick up some bad stealth games to learn what they did wrong.
>>
>>180927962
>now, that I have developed it further
Where is it?
>>
File: 1437073765462.jpg (142KB, 679x631px) Image search: [Google]
1437073765462.jpg
142KB, 679x631px
>time to do music
>have no clue what to do
>time to fucking die
>>
>>180927375
>Right now you're making a Flash vector graphics looking game which will cause 90% of eyeballs to immediately dismiss it because it's been the style for web games for over 2 decades online.
do you have any textures in mind?
>>180927436
>the mouse need some clicking animation to que the player
i can make it flash i guess
>the sword/ring thingy looks just like an ugly placeholder, draw a nicer placeholder
i can outline them and make them look more itemy but i'm bad at art
>>180927704
got any ideas for textures?
>>180927719
>everything made of strong geometric shapes to the point of almost techno feel despite the palette
journey has that, again i'm not an artist
>how is any of that "comfy"?
the palette is comfy
>>180927915
yeah because they're transparent you dumb fuck, they have an image alpha of 0.9 something

if they were opaque then they wouldn't get stronger
>>
File: collab promo img 3.png (290KB, 809x760px) Image search: [Google]
collab promo img 3.png
290KB, 809x760px
>>180926220
Collab Ad (Updated)

Project length: ~1 month

I need a programmer. Currently you can still choose what engine/language/framework you want to work in.

Payment: I will come to your house and let you use me however you see fit. I do everything, no condoms. I am HIV-negative w/ recent test results to prove it. If you have friends over I will service them too. I wear a dress and/or wig upon request, very feminine figure. E-mail me for pictures.

About project in general:
I started this project because I wanted to get some practice with working in a team. Also, its an exercise in keeping at it until deadline, no matter what.

About game itself:
>interactive story
>menu based RPG
>futuristic fiction

Questions? Complaints? Suggestions?
>>
>>180927815
>i experimented with textures using photoshop but i really need to watch more tutorials
Got it.
As long as you digest the feedback, don't feel obligated to justify yourself too much. Good luck.
>>
>>180927815
>but i'm focusing more on fun and engagement than challenge
One thing leads to the others.
>>
>>180926678
i don't think aseprite support custom data, you can use something that supports it or just have a json/text file that has that extra data for each frame, it's better than hardcoding them (especially if you have a lot of frames), and yeah you need to reposition the hat based on that position data.
>>
>>180927926
surely im giving advice to him because it's a really shoddy attempt of trying to look like ///of powerlines///
>>
>>180926996
>http://poal.me/6cfel3
End of july is already ludum dare.
>>
>>180928026
in a safe place

>>180928069
hey, now
play nice
>>
>>180926715
Daily reminder this dev will LITERALLY not accept any criticism, so don't even bother.
>>
I'm planning on working on one of these two game ideas, which one sounds more interesting to you?

>16th century, first person, chivalry-like combat, searching through the unknown jungle with a group of explorers, elements of psychological horror involved, threats are natural disasters, predators and native tribes, no navigation systems, you have to keep your crew from mutiny and build shelters and find drinkable water and food along the way, story focused

>medieval (fantasy) environment, topdown assassination game, you need to gather intel about your target by searching for clues and asking around, if you get caught you are fucked (unlike in AC) so the focus is on assassination, getting through the guard lines plays similar to a puzzle game due to different reactions, specific to each guard, controls are similar to MOBA and Diablo games, assassin should almost feel like playing with Rengar or Kha'Zix (if you played LoL, you'll know).

I have it more detailed, but this is just a 30 second pitch or whatever.
>>
>>180927962
>First week is dedicated to consolidating ideas, brainstorming and stuff like that. The writing part needs a lot of planning. So far I have several pages of the concept document.
>Once the concept document is acceptable, a design doc will be made. Design doc will contain what features and how exactly should they function based on the concepts in concept doc. Design doc writing should take a lot less time to write since its just a consolidation of concept doc into things that can be programmed. At the same time I start to formulate the plot based on the worldbuilding in the concept doc. And so forth.
That's a lot of text just to agree with me that you have nothing. I get the impression you don't see it as agreeing with me, but it was.
>>
>>180928062
>yeah because they're transparent you dumb fuck
???? everyone noticed.... we noticed because thats not how shadows work you literal baka
>>
File: 1461691410521.jpg (328KB, 1214x584px) Image search: [Google]
1461691410521.jpg
328KB, 1214x584px
>it's a wall of text agdg episode
>>
>>180926715
as other anons said, work on your colors, it's hard to look at in this state.
>>
>>180928192
>chiv close
>Burning Line Britania
yawn
>>
>>180928192
Second seems more interesting.
>>
>>180928207
if the non-writing part of the project was done, why on earth would I need a programmer anymore?

wtf, anon
>>
>>180928190
>shitposting about yesdevs instead of posting progress for constructive criticism
Truly baka. Post progress and I'll give you constructive criticism.
>>
>>180928095
you can have a fun and engaging game without it being challenging and challenge sometimes turns people off
>>180928190
i literally changed how the marker system worked you salty baby, watch the webm
>>180928225
yeah and that is WHY they get stronger where they overlap you pedostached mental deficient
>>180928272
does anyone have any links to photoshop textures?

the webm looks better if you open it in a different tab
>>
>>180928150
Oh shit you're right.
>>
WHERE
>>
IS
>>
>>180928497
IS CHARLES LEE
>>
>>180928225
It sort of is unless there's only a single light source. Protip: there's never a single light source.
>>
>>180928017
>maybe Deus Ex Mankind Divided
I found the AI to be a little too easy to sneak around when idle like in the bank but they did a great job with level design for stealth segments.

Also the panic systems are interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeqBEDluaTs
>>
YOUR
>>
>>180925789

https://youtu.be/LLItPEpkK7A

this video is his playthough of demon's souls but he covers a ton of game design type stuff. really interesting on his perspective
>>
>>180928374
You are an ideaguy and you have literally nothing done on your project. Not even design docs. You have to be either trolling or mental to ask for a programmer, or you were genuinely naive and now you're learning.
>>
>>180928630
>Person who has never made a game talking about game design

Lmao
>>
File: pCzFH2S.png (21KB, 665x372px) Image search: [Google]
pCzFH2S.png
21KB, 665x372px
>>180928425
here i googled something to explain this basic concept for someone as thick as you
overlapping shadows only result in what you're doing when there is multiple light sources
>>
>first concept for my game was super tiny
>now its something completely out of scope

please kill me

do i keep going or downsize back
>>
>>180928759
make something smaller until you're good enough.
>>
>>180927962
You are seriously, seriously underestimating the amount of work and time it takes to program a game.
>>
>>180928571
all of his shadows are identical orientation. it's a single light source.
>>
>>180928708
>or you were genuinely naive
The guy thinks he can make an rpg in a month.
>>
>>180928190
He doesn't have to agree right away he just needs to chew on things.

The worst thing to do is reply to feedback too much which he is prone to do. I don't really care though now that it's established he isn't rotate 2.0 and is actually making a game.
>>
>>180928425
check out light drifter game and take notes of the used colors, your game use too much brown and washed out colors, are you trying to make autumn feel? it's not comfy at all, there are colors that feel comfort by design, google that shit
>>
File: hachiko_eyecut.png (4KB, 312x121px) Image search: [Google]
hachiko_eyecut.png
4KB, 312x121px
>animation in unreal
>can only read bone transforms directly from an animation sequence in bone parent space
>have to sample a pose and then walk up the entire skeleton to convert it to component space
>nope its not quite component space its in some mystery space but i have to convert it to component space at this step so i can convert it to a world space transform relative to a world position so i can reanchor it to another position and do some calculations in gameplay tick and move the root before converting it back to component space before the animation tick so i can modify the fk transforms and set ik targets
>>
>>180928728
it's supposed to be that way gogem, it's his style :^)
>>
>>180928728
i wasn't talking about in terms of reality gogem, i'm talking about why it happens in engine

it is transparent IN THE GAME, i need it to be like that so it can show paving slabs and dirt circles that i put under the shadows

what i'm going to do is increase the darkness so it looks less pronounced
>>180928903
>check out light drifter game and take notes of the used colors
i'm not going to take lessons on aesthetics from HLD
>it's not comfy at all, there are colors that feel comfort by design, google that shit
it's probably a texture thing and i'm going to fix it
>>
>>180928062
>textures?
No more hand holding that's all you get for today. You're lucky the improvement is so simple, do this one small thing and you could be on easy street it seems. Better rethink those shadows too.
>>
>>180928841
Except for all the reflective sand everywhere in the scene that would realistically provide a lot of indirect light.

Anyway I agree with you that it looks bad right now, even if it's not entirely wrong like you're trying to make it out to be.
>>
>>180928759
Downsize. Once you finish and sell that game make "My Dream Game 2" with all the features you wanted in the first one.
>>
>>180929067
>i'm not going to take lessons on aesthetics from HLD

Why? It's one of the best examples of colour use in video games
>>
>>180929117
fuck me man
>>
>>180928358
The more I'm thinking about it, I agree with you, and it should be more fun to work on.

>>180928356
Idk what you meant by Burning line. Anyway, I have been brainstorming about the jungle one for the whole day, but yeah, I don't know how to make an open jungle interesting all the time, but at the same time it has to be deserted if I want to get that feel of being lost and alone.
>>
>>180928728
i think he knows that he just tried dodging the criticism by explaining how it worked
>>
>>180928965
Dont stifle him, logic only matters when it fits his argument :^)
>>
>>180929067
>i'm talking about why it happens in engine

Because your shadows are separate transparent images that blend into one another?
>>
>>180929067
I think you're probably going to have to make a single texture for your overlapping shadows and not rely on the individual tree object shadows. Or just try to ignore all future complaints about shadows because they're not going to stop.
>>
>>180929178
hotline miami clone, which is what all top-down action games are
>>
>>180927962
>First week is dedicated to consolidating ideas, brainstorming and stuff like that. The writing part needs a lot of planning. So far I have several pages of the concept document.
>Once the concept document is acceptable, a design doc will be made. Design doc will contain what features and how exactly should they function based on the concepts in concept doc. Design doc writing should take a lot less time to write since its just a consolidation of concept doc into things that can be programmed. At the same time I start to formulate the plot based on the worldbuilding in the concept doc. And so forth.

jesus christ this nigga is planning to hold brainstorming sessions so he can finish a "concept document", so he can then begin writing a "design document" and once these documents are complete he will finally move on and begin to "formulate the plot", presumably in the form of further documents. meanwhile he thinks an unpaid programmer will make him some sort of rpg game in a month. you can't make this shit up.

here's a genuine, non-sarcastic recommendation: look into writing a pnp rpg or a cyoa or something. then you can just write documents forever without begging someone else to make the game for you. maybe if people like your writing they would actually be interested in adapting it into a game, because so far you're expecting people to sign up for unpaid work based on a promise to write some documents (but not until you're done writing a chain of prerequisite documents, which you need to brainstorm first).
>>
>>180929428
also
>it has to be deserted if I want to get that feel of being lost and alone.
Thats some serious scrub shit.
>>
>>180929067
>i wasn't talking about in terms of reality gogem, i'm talking about why it happens in engine

We know WHY it happens in your engine. What we're telling you to do is to fix your fucking engine so it doesn't draw shadows in the most naive way possible. Stop layering shadows on top of each other. Only have one shadow layer. A pixel can either be in shadow or not in shadow. Draw the shadows into a stencil buffer, then use the stencil to apply shadows to the scene. Jesus fuck.
>>
>>180929067
when i said hyper light drifter i was talking exclusively about the colors, not that shitty gradient filter, i hate that in pixel games, but i will look for a better example next time.
>>
>>180928965
style has to be cool or its wrong.

>>180929067
>blaming your engine for fucking up shadows
>i'm going to do is increase the darkness so it looks less pronounced
or you could just make them all masks of a shadow layer
or if you're too basic for masks: make them all a solid color
optionally slap a single solid transparent thing on the layer above to lighten to control the color lightening of the lower levels
gitgud
>>
>>180929505
This. Shit is ludicrous
>>
>>180929428
Oh, now I get the post. Eh, sorry you didn't get it then, neither of them should be even remotely similar to those you mentioned. And how is stealth/puzzle based assassin game similar to hotline miami is beyond me.
>>
>>180929630
But you said your style is intentionally ugly. That's not cool.
>>
>>180929630
>style has to be cool or its wrong.
ironic, coming from gaycum
>>
File: 1437525610809.jpg (50KB, 547x471px) Image search: [Google]
1437525610809.jpg
50KB, 547x471px
>googum giving advice on art
>>
I'm up to something good.
>>
>>180929113
>Except for all the reflective sand everywhere in the scene that would realistically provide a lot of indirect light.

the indirect light would bounce in various directions and therefore simply brighten the shadows instead of spontaneously forming a second sun with the same direction as the first fucking sun
>>
>>180929883
good
keep it up
>>
File: SO COOL.png (942KB, 1000x558px) Image search: [Google]
SO COOL.png
942KB, 1000x558px
>>180929630
Your games don't look cool.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMQL9BcZmGo
>>
Describe your game in one word or less.
>>
>>180929654
>And how is stealth/puzzle based assassin game similar to hotline miami is beyond me.
Because every single top-down game with action that was released after HLM has had the SAME exact gameplay.
>>
>>180929984
>I consider using a psychological primer trick
holy shit is this real?
>>
File: Takemitsu-Zamurai-v07-p009.png (114KB, 887x1300px) Image search: [Google]
Takemitsu-Zamurai-v07-p009.png
114KB, 887x1300px
>>180929689
>ugly isnt cool
dont beat up on yourself so much
us artists think you look cool once we've created a non-real representation of you anyways
>>
>>180930029
Anime
>>
post a link for your game (preferably 2d) and i will play it, i wanna take a break
>>
>>180930091
>quoting jap artists as examples even though you completely miss the point of why their art is actually good and original and yours isnt despite being an """"artist""".

Your art isnt AG ugly-good.
Its just bad googaloogs.
Like someone so far up their own ass on DA.
>>
>>180930029
shit
>>
>>180928965
>>180929270
how fucking salty can you be lmao
>>180929309
yes
>>180929360
>I think you're probably going to have to make a single texture for your overlapping shadows
i can mess around with depth some more
>>180929542
>What we're telling you to do is to fix your fucking engine so it doesn't draw shadows in the most naive way possible. Stop layering shadows on top of each other. Only have one shadow layer. A pixel can either be in shadow or not in shadow. Draw the shadows into a stencil buffer, then use the stencil to apply shadows to the scene.
>just check each pixel bro
>just make the shadows bake each time the level starts bro
i'm looking for a non-retarded solution now
https://www.yoyogames.com/blog/60/alpha-and-surfaces
>>180929630
>or you could just make them all masks of a shadow layer
i get this but i have no idea how to do this in gamemaker
>or if you're too basic for masks: make them all a solid color
i need them to be transparent
>optionally slap a single solid transparent thing on the layer above to lighten to control the color lightening of the lower levels
no idea what this means
>>180929984
>speedrunning your own game
the depths to which gogem has sunk
>>
>>180930231
He has no technique. He relies entirely on color and form. Unfortunately the forms are awful and the colors are super gay.
>>
>>180930029
Spherical
>>
>>180930061
Ok, I'm blown away by this, can you explain how is the gameplay always the same?

If anything, this should look and feel more like Torchlight, there is literally nothing I could see that would get an "HLM clone" response.
>>
>>180930091
Are you comparing your art (pfft) to Takemitsu Zamurai? Are you for real?
>>
>>180929113
>what is natural ambience
something that makes our realworld shadows hues match the reflective colors, not magically creating new light sources
it's physics
>>
>>180930029
Non-existent.
>>
>>180930091
>us artists
kek
>>
>>180930326
>i need them to be transparent
no you dont, go look up what a mask is and/or how colors work
>no idea what this means
layers
>>
File: girl.jpg (10KB, 236x261px) Image search: [Google]
girl.jpg
10KB, 236x261px
>>180930441
>dunning krugrer
>>
>>180930326
>draw_enable_alphablend(false)
i think this is what i'm looking for
>>180929113
>Anyway I agree with you that it looks bad right now
it's a texture problem and i'm working on it
>>180930541
>no you dont, go look up what a mask is and/or how colors work
i need them to be transparent so you can see things underneath them
>layers
i only use gamemaker
>>
What engines does gogem use to make games?
>>
File: indieDBlogo1024x768.png (549KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
indieDBlogo1024x768.png
549KB, 1024x768px
Been developing some abilities and skills for FTC. Abilities are short term, high reward and done using officers. Skills are long term, low reward and done by crew.

Saber Rattle (Skill) - Taunts enemy ships. Accuracy debuff to enemies not targeting skill user, accuracy buff to enemies targeting skill user.

Sabotage Assault (Ability) - Launches Assault Shuttles at enemy ships and upon successful boarding places bomb charges inside compartments, causing AoE damage within the ship.

Kinetic Accelerator (Ability, Toggle) - Adds Kinetic damage to weapons.

Resolve (Ability, Toggle) - Grants passive morale regeneration.

Takeover Assault (Ability) - Launches Assault Shuttles at enemy ship and upon successful boarding attempts to take over the ship. If all enemy defenders on the bridge and ops compartments are killed or disabled, the ship will fire on the enemy fleet.
>>
>>180930718
Flash and unity.
>>
>>180930747
>Thought it's FTL

Are you trying to look like FTL on purpose?
>>
>>180930619
let me make that more simple for you
>gogem
>>
>>180930326
>just check each pixel bro
>just make the shadows bake each time the level starts bro

When did I ever tell you to check individual pixels or bake anything? Do you not know what a stencil buffer is? It's a hardware feature that's literally already built into your graphics card made specifically for shit like this. Of coarse it seems like you're using game maker which pretty much guarantees that you don't know jack shit about graphics programming in general. Seems like you're the retard here.
>>
>>180930619
literally always the person who pulls out kruger first who's a literal retard covering their ass.
it should be illegal to use that shit as a contentless insult.

>>180930696
>i need them to be transparent so you can see things underneath them
A) the shadows become the mask, the mask masks a single transparent thing
B) the shadows are solid, the shadows are on the layer BELOW, what you currently have below is the transparent thing above
>>
>>180928708
say I had a working program to show
what would it change? why is it so important for you?

>>180928840
which is why I need a partner to share the load

>>180929505
anon, it seems that you haven't written a fantasy story(whether short or long), ever
also, it seems that you haven't programmed anything beyond run-of-the-mill games like platformers and JRPG's

I have done both.

a fantasy story requires a lot of background planning since majority of the setting doesn't exist yet as opposed to modern dramas, where the background is real life and everyone knows how and what without having to be explained.

A game that hasn't got a well documented method of production will need significant planning to even come up with what should be a feature. I programmed a space grand strategy some time back not too seriously. There were absolutely no resources for me to use. You should believe me when I say that a concept doc and then a design doc is absolutely god damned primal neccesity for it.
>>
File: FTLSlider2.jpg (23KB, 616x353px) Image search: [Google]
FTLSlider2.jpg
23KB, 616x353px
>>180930835
He just needs some gross bloom now.
>>
File: Double hits.png (294KB, 3044x488px) Image search: [Google]
Double hits.png
294KB, 3044x488px
So for my grenade launcher I'm trying to make a way for the explosion to not hit the same actor twice but running a multi trace on physics bodies(because I don't want to use the capsule for damage collision) returns a hit for every piece of the body.
Does anyone know what's wrong about my script? Or am I going about it wrong or something?
>>
>>180931118
FTL shows that you can be successful with programmer graphics.
>>
>>180930727
Not in my lifetime
>>
>>180931098
why do you give advice on art if you suck at it?
>>
>>180931189
I thought VVVVVV showed that better.
>>
>>180931252
>VVVVVV
too aesthetic for AGDG
>>
File: avatar512light.png (227KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
227KB, 512x512px
>>180930835

Yes.

It's heavily influenced by FTL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pj2fnYQ-iNc

WIP (No sound)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrE4LwUWG_M
>>
>>180931189
I think FTL is "Programmer who just started learning art"-tier.
Which i believe was actually the case.
>>
>>180931038
> Do you not know what a stencil buffer is? It's a hardware feature that's literally already built into your graphics card made specifically for shit like this.
and how do i do this in gamemaker???
>Of coarse it seems like you're using game maker which pretty much guarantees that you don't know jack shit about graphics programming in general.
no shit
>Seems like you're the retard here.
nerd
>>180931098
>B) the shadows are solid, the shadows are on the layer BELOW, what you currently have below is the transparent thing above
oh i get this, seems like it'd still be the same problem tho, it's similar to what i do with the player shadow

i really think that just darkening the shadows would get rid of the contrast since the difference between 0.98 and 1 is less noticeable than the difference between 1 and whatever i have now, looks like it might even be 8
>>
File: hachiko_child_draw.png (150KB, 440x421px) Image search: [Google]
hachiko_child_draw.png
150KB, 440x421px
>>180931173
you wired your foreach wrong
you are calling damage on each colldier a shitton of times
just use a fucking contains check instead
or you have to make the loop just used to set a bool and then do the damage at the very end of the forloop
>>
what is the biggest number of characters you have in any of your code files
>>
>>180931459
>ifference between 0.98 and 1 is less noticeable than th
you literally just said you needed transparency but now you dont? if it's no different than 1 than set it to 1 and pick a nice color for it.
>>
>>180931535
i once had to work with a code file 30k lines but i dont know how many characters
>>
>>180931473
did you switch to UE4? What about jinzo?
>>
>>180930727
I take it back and delete this post.
>>
Anyone used articy draft 2 here?
Its $4 on bundlestars right now and im considering it.
>>
>>180931626
i use ue4 at work
jinzo in spare time
>>
File: bawd.png (8KB, 674x78px) Image search: [Google]
bawd.png
8KB, 674x78px
>a factory factory
>>
>>180931836
OOP is a sin.
>>
>>180931836
>using POO
>>
>he makes 3D games thinking they'll have more downloads than gookgem's game
>>
>tfw you realize all your ideas are actually kinda lame
>>
File: zUwqrhM.png (513KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
zUwqrhM.png
513KB, 1280x720px
>>180931963
forgot image
>>
File: 2017-06-27 15-27-57.webm (102KB, 702x630px) Image search: [Google]
2017-06-27 15-27-57.webm
102KB, 702x630px
>>
I heard you guys made somebody kill himself

what's the scoop on that

t. visitor
>>
>>180931995
That means you're transitioning out of the idea guy mentality
>>
File: 1463854837960.gif (3MB, 250x141px) Image search: [Google]
1463854837960.gif
3MB, 250x141px
>>180932025
>FPS: 30
>>
>>180932035
wish it was gogem
>>
>>180932025
is this an actual roguelike? if so sick
>>
File: 39dd.jpg (43KB, 600x597px) Image search: [Google]
39dd.jpg
43KB, 600x597px
>>180932025
>FPS 30
>>
>>180932069
Hmm, you're right.
>>
>>180931473
>contains check
THANK YOU. That's exactly what I needed instead of that second loop. Works perfectly now.
>>
>>180932105
>>180932160
it's capped
>>180932123
TBS
>>
how do I into not using OOP
>>
>>180931995
>realized that my ideas are lame since they never took me anywhere
>months pass
>realized that my ideas weren't lame, I was just shit at expanding upon them
>>
>>180931836
Am I retarded, or are you people retarded.
I have never, not a single time in my life, had to make a factory of any kind while using OOP
>>
File: cuckgem.png (329KB, 1387x1607px) Image search: [Google]
cuckgem.png
329KB, 1387x1607px
Daily reminder that this is how a belowaverage dev looks like
>>
>>180932281
There's absolutely no reason why it should be capped at 30 fps.
>>
>>180932316
same here
there is literally no reason I had to use a factory, ever

I always throught that they were the ballpark of devs who create meta-programs and shit
>>
190+ posts in and there is nothing but shitposting. This place has gone to shit.
>>
>>180932363
*above average
>>
>>180932289
learn functional programming.
>>
File: file.png (962KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
962KB, 1920x1080px
to the anon that gave the idea. this is amazing, i got some extra random war quotes from some book site.

got 25 quotes now. they show random every time you start the game, im not puting the name of the person that said it thought, because i got some from hitler and i dont want the drama on my back
>>
>>180932316
Are you an enginedev?
>>
Anyone got experience with the steam workshop? Is it a lot of work to implement?

I can already painlessly swap out files manually, just wondering how much 'external' work there is.
>>
>>180932575
t. gogem
>>
>>180932621
I'm pretty sure people finding out it's Hitler quotes AND you hid it will be worse than just having them there with his name.
>>
>>180932694
If you can already do workshop without workshop bloat than why?

Just make the feature clear.
>>
>>180931361
red prince? meh i'm going with confused octopus games.
>>
>>180932819
It's much smoother than asking them to go to some external site, download files and put them in the game directory
>>
Writing a Princess Maker style game right now, but I'm curious. They all seem to me fantasy/magic school settings. Is the reason because there's no market for a sci-fi princess maker, or is it just because that magical attributes and the magic academy setting makes it easier?

I was honestly thinking some like Candidate for the Goddess if anyone remembers that shitty anime. I haven't played any of the Sunrider games, but that's kind of what they are, right?
>>
>>180932787
nah, i can aways say i didnt know it was his, and that o just took a lot of quotes from the internet
>>
>>180931609
there is a difference between 1 and 0.98 when they're over objects

there isn't a difference between 0.98 and 1 between each other

i thought i posted this
>>180932987
>Is the reason because there's no market for a sci-fi princess maker
this is the reason for everything
>>
>>180932987
>Is the reason because there's no market for a sci-fi princess maker
Because it's niche and very few people play this shit.
>>
>>180932289
enginedev :^(
>>
>>180932565
Seems mostly on topic.

If you need to see progress there are other places online. Places with dank progress. The good shit.
>>
Is there some place where I can find free assets I can use in UE4 for prototyping? Same question for blueprints.
>>
>>180932632
No, I make games.
>>
>>180932621
get rid of the hitler quotes you buffoon
>>
>>180933081
>"Only the purest of races are allowed to live in our utopia"
>I had no idea that's Hitler anon
>>
>>180933326
The Learn tab in the launcher has loads of projects, Content Examples in particular has all manner of useful shit.
Search 'Infinity Blade' on the marketplace, they're all free, also the Open World Demo Collection
>>
>>180933561
Thanks man.
>>
>>180933516
is nothing that serious

>If you win, you need not have to explain...If you lose, you should not be there to explain!
>>
how can a game like "i wanna be the guy" get away ripping sprites of every known game? it has a known website and the creator ask for donations
>>
>>180933103
>>180933145
Kinda the answer I was expecting but not hoping for. I guess if no one will buy it either way, then I might as well just write whatever I want :^)
>>
>want to right-click buttons
>unreal doesn't natively support right-clicking buttons
>have to do a hacky solution involving OnHover
What was Epic thinking
>>
>>180933750
it's non-profit
>>
>>180933665
just because you don't recognise it as a Hitler quote doesn't mean other people wont

cut them entirely to avoid any potential issues.

>but i can tell people i didn't know
If people don't read your statement and just judge your game as being ProHitler you will lose sales/potentially have it removed from Steam/app store/wherever.
>>
>>180933750
The game itself is non-commercial and doesn't play like any of those games, so it's either fair use or not a big enough violation for anyone to sue. I'm not sure which of those things it is so don't assume it's legal.
>>
>Want to make game of X genre
>There is a starter kit for that thing equivalent to maybe a month of full dev time for a two figure price.

What would you do, /agdg/?
>>
>>180933929
Pay $0 and make it myself.
Building basic gameplay is easy, unlike building an actual engine, so there's no real reason not to do it yourself so that you know how everything works and improve your skills as a programmer.
>>
File: 3Js4sLN.gif (2MB, 315x250px) Image search: [Google]
3Js4sLN.gif
2MB, 315x250px
Who else joining lowrez jam this year? (64x64 pixel game)
https://itch.io/jam/lowrezjam2017
>>
File: 3d_2.png (21KB, 654x525px) Image search: [Google]
3d_2.png
21KB, 654x525px
>>
>>180932881

I don't understand this joke.
>>
>>180934057
I found out the other day that low-res first person makes me dizzy and gives me a headache.
So while I admire the aesthetic, fuck this gif.
>>
>>180933856
ah sure, i'll put something from napolenon instead. nobody gives a shit about that guy and i might get some extra french sales
>>
>>180934131
3D is harder than 2D. I can't make any models that look good.
>>
>>180934131
I am.
>>
>>180934131
My coworkers didnt let me
>>
>>180934131
post ur game :)
>>
Surely it's possible to have a function that, for a given time, provides me with a rotation, that loops nicely?
I want to be able to calculate this for any graph between these two. So some with a faster rotation half-way through, others with constant rotation speed.
It seems like a Sigmoid function isn't exactly what I need, since they flatten rather than reach their end. I can't into maths...
>>
What is the best place to learn everything about UE4 blueprints?
>>
>>180934176
smart idea
>>
>>180934497
If you're a babby, the "Your first two games with Unreal" or whatever is a good course. It's actually three and it goes over a lot of good stuff.

Other than that, honestly, just like make game. The more you practice the better you'll get and more you'll learn. Just follow tutorials for the thing you want to do. Try and have a cohesive vision for a project, even if it's a simple one.
>>
File: graphs.png (23KB, 441x920px) Image search: [Google]
graphs.png
23KB, 441x920px
>>180934427
fuck, pic.
>>
>>180934427
cos(time) * 180. Cos(time) has a domain of [-1, 1] so multiplying it by 180 gives you [-180, 180]. You can do cos(time) * 180 + 180 if you want [0. 360].
>>
>>180934743
To add to this, the Content Examples project is a great place to look once you have a basic understanding, there are demonstrations of basically every feature which you can examine.
>>
>gamemaker studio 2 has resizing, layers and everything else
just get in the humble bundle already
>>
>>180934057
I wanted to see this game's source so bad
>>
>>180935023
>not free
no thank you
>>
File: sade.png (51KB, 256x218px) Image search: [Google]
sade.png
51KB, 256x218px
>tfw want to join a game jam
>tfw no art or code friend to collaborate with and doing
>doing both art and code will be impossible in the short time they give you
>>
Whimp the Bold just got a big push on the Best Friends podcast cus Woolie played it at a con! He made it!
>>
Is there any decent C#/monogame game code available to read? I want to take a look at how other people structure their shit because I'm sloppy as fucc.
>>
>>180934798
but then how would I easily vary this from linear to steep in the middle and flat near the ends?
>>
>>180933929
time is money, and a month is worth a lot more than a two figure price, it's better to try it and move on instead of wasting a full month (or even more) about something you may drop, unless you want to learn.
>>
>>180935023
>no active game making bundle

>>180935181
it's not, just make gross pixels and you will be fine
>>
>>180933929
pirate it
>>
>>180935181
Not necessarily. Doing both is a bitch but when you're pinned in a corner, that's when you get most creative when it comes to your games design and implementation.
>>
>>180935181
>no art or code friend
What the hell do you bring to the game?
>>
>>180935426
Probably uses Unity or Godot HA.
>>
>>180935426
i have some really unique ideas for a game
>>
>>180934743
>>180934810
Will look into it, thanks. Shouldn't have started with non-fps genre though, because there are not many tutorials out there for mechanics I'm trying to implement.
>>
>>180934140
it's ok my son, go in peace.
>>
>>180935528
Oh thank god. I've spent a decade learning how to code and I've been learning to draw my entire life, but I can't for the life of me come up with a single idea.
>>
>>180935530
My first UE4 project was turning the default third person character into an FZero clone, once you learn a bit about the engine you should be able to figure stuff out without an explicit tutorial.
>>
>>180935281
My code.
>>
wew finally went through godot's doc, yes it lacks a bit of details but almost everything is mentioned somewhere if you're patient enough to sit and read, also 2.1.4 is on beta and it fixed a lot of stuff, hype!
>>
>>180935426
im mostly an artfag but i can code too in gm
>>
>>180935723
Post it my lad
>>
>>180934013
>>180935368
>>180935412

Thanks. I want to learn, but I need some motivation to keep the momentum. I can learn by tweaking it.

I guess I'll buy it. It's too specific to find it around, I'm afraid.
>>
>>180935768
I think it's safe to use 2.1.4 already, I haven't encountered any showstopping problems in my project and it fixed the annoying "can't remove samples from sample library" bug.
>>
>>180935328
Sorry, I hadn't checked your other post so I hadn't realized you wanted something linear.

You could do rotation = time % 360. each second would add 1 degree. you can add a multiplier to time to make it rotate faster.
>>
>>180935181
can you get e-famous by doing jams?
>>
>>180935771
>mostly an artfag

Post some art faggot
>>
File: orbit_graphs.png (32KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
orbit_graphs.png
32KB, 1000x1000px
>>180935954
Here's the entire thing with context, to be clear. For circular orbits, I want a linear rotation speed. For elliptical orbits, I want a rotation speed that goes faster the closer we are to the point we're orbiting around.
Though it is not about speed to me, merely about the position in orbit for any given time.
>>
>>180929894
You're right, I'm dumb.
>>
>>180935281
i had to post a super small section to get it to work ombre.

for (int e = 0; e < peps.cellpositionnposition[a, b].Length; e++)
{
peps.cellpositionnposition[a, b][e] = new Vector2(dice.Next(0, 30) * 32, dice.Next(0, 20) * 32);
peps.wantedgoodtype[nextentitynumber] = dice.Next(1, 7);
peps.position[nextentitynumber] = peps.cellpositionnposition[a, b][e];
peps.maposition[nextentitynumber] = peps.maposition[0];
peps.spritetype[nextentitynumber] = dice.Next(0, 3);
nextentitynumber++;
}
>>
>>180936191

What game are you working on?
>>
Does anyone know how Unreal's built-in Pause works?
It seems that after I've paused the game, it stops reading input, so I can't unpause.
>>
>>180936191
I don't get exactly what you want. If you want a circular orbit you need to use a cos/sin to get your angle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T54mOpSSxE8
>>
>>180935971
For a moment. Especially if you win one while being savvy with your social media.
>>
>>180936390
consider writing in camelCase, will make your code much more readable
>>
File: output.webm (1MB, 1284x1012px) Image search: [Google]
output.webm
1MB, 1284x1012px
I don't understand physics. Progress though.
>>
>>180936612
>that title
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJOTBSE_3Dw
>>
What do the dot and cross products produce?
How are these used in game dev? Like what are the normally used for?
>>
>>180936568
So basically no
>>
>>180936543
InputActions have an 'Execute when paused' checkbox when you click them in a graph.
>>
>>180934131
3D is still too hard for me
>>
>>180936502
animal crossing in space

>>180936562
I don't just want circular orbits, but also elliptical orbits of any eccentricity.
>>
>>180936191
divide the speed by the distance so the closer it is the faster it goes?
>>
>>180936841
Since my orbital speed will be very, very slow, and this will eventually be simulated for large amounts of bodies, I don't keep track of speed or velocity: just a shape of the orbit and the time it takes to complete a single rotation.
https://pastebin.com/rVB5NbMA
>>
>>180936795
Shit, thanks. I don't know why but I assumed that would only appear if I used a raw keyboard input node.

Is it bad to use the built-in Pause for an in-game menu? Not the escape menu but something like an inventory screen. It seems like it might be a little too strong for that but I haven't played with it much yet.
>>
>>180936746
I suck at maths too but there's no way you can't google that.
>>
>>180936837
>animal crossing in space
when there's a kickstarter I'll donate at least $10
>>
>>180937079
I know how to get them, but I don't know how they are used in game deving.
>>
File: 1498580590168.jpg (2MB, 2637x2893px) Image search: [Google]
1498580590168.jpg
2MB, 2637x2893px
>>
>>180937195
Whenever you need the dot or cross product of a matrix or vector, you use them.
It's not difficult.
>>
This seems like it gets me pretty close?

>>180937121
are you up for running bleeding-edge software though?
also still very much in prototyping phase, but I'll keep you updated.
>>
>>180937195
yes, I understood that.
>>
>>180937252
And in what scenarios would you need them?
>>
>>180937223
I haven't played either of these games so I don't even know which is handcrafted and which is procedurally generated.
>>
>heavy storm outside
>making progress
comfy
>>
so is anybody making a lewd game here or it's just anubis and that furry visual novel guy?
>>
>>180937343
Whenever you need the dot or cross product of a vector or matrix.
What are you not understanding?
>>
>>180936072
i dont have much to post so have this penis i did for a nuclear throne mod
https://imgur.com/a/zH2zj
>>
>>180937031
I mean, if you want to pause the game then pause the game, there's nothing wrong with it.

You could try setting global time dilation to 0 for a 'softer' thing but yeah I'd just pause it with the built in thing.
>>
>>180937458
This is a Cristian board
>>
>>180937478
>When do you need the dot product?
>You need it when you need the dot product
am i bein troled?? xd
>>
hachiko can now attack with the shield but i did not make an animation for it yet
>>
>>180937493
I'm just worried it'll lock up something unexpected and break my interface. I couldn't find a detailed explanation of what, exactly, it does.
>>
>>180937361
Both are handcrafted, and both have boring stuff and fun stuff, image is just cherrypicking
>>
>>180926715
love the mood of this.
>>
>>180936837
I'm picturing an asteroid field with a bunch of houses that you navigate Mario galaxy style
>>
>>180937223
Are you saying either of those games were procedurally generated? the fuck?
>>
>>180937637
Very juicy
>>
>>180937612
Anon, I don't know the structure of your game. I don't know where you are using matrices or vectors. How can I possibly know what you'd need a dot or cross product for?
You use them if you need them, just like any other tool.

This is the equivalent of asking when to use subtraction or a boolean NOT.
>>
>>180937774
Give me an example of when the dot product would needed, and an example of when the cross product would be needed in a game development scenario.
>>
>>180937719
>he doesn't want to fly a lightyear to his nearest neighbor just to talk shit
>>
>>180937343
Dot product can tell you how 'similar' two vectors are, you could use it to add some allowances to your directions.
So if you wanted to check if your player is facing towards a special object, you might check that the dot product of the required direction and the actual direction is >0.9 (very similar)

Cross product finds a perpendicular vector from two other vectors, the last time I used it was to apply a force for wallrunning based on the direction of the wall nearby and movement direction.
>>
>>180937863
dot product is used for angle checks
cross for getting orthagonals

if you want to know if something is on your right hand or left hand side, you use the cross product to get the right vector and then get the sign of the dot product
>>
>>180937479
That's pretty cool. Interested in a game jam?
>>
>>180937863
http://docs.godotengine.org/en/stable/learning/features/math/vector_math.html
as in the docs, dot product helps determining if two vectors looks at the same direction or the opposite, it's good for knowing if an actor can see another actor.
>>
>>180937343
Calculating the normal of a surface requires a cross product. Normals of surfaces are used all the time in 3D engines for all kinds of shit in both graphics and physics algorithms. (Collision detection, backside culling, shading...)

Projecting one vector onto another vector requires a dot product.

Really dot and cross products are used so often that it's kind of hard to give specific examples. In a 3D game you need them for almost everything.
>>
>>180937863
>dot product
You want stabs to do double damage from behind. You can do this using the dot product of the player and the enemy's direction vector.
>>
https://soundcloud.com/user-143755723/battle-theme-reference

I've made a reference song.
>>
>>180937637
Hachiko will be one year old soon. I'm happy that I was able to see the whole development cycle. I remember when it was pure black and white. Keep it up!
>>
>>180937031
I assume you have an update function which updates everything that needs updating, yes?

In that case, wrap it into a conditional statement.

if in_menu == false
then update()
>>
File: 2017-06-27_19-03-38.webm (3MB, 598x332px) Image search: [Google]
2017-06-27_19-03-38.webm
3MB, 598x332px
Progress!
- incredibly bad 'level design'
- replaced green light/red light on the wolf with question/exclamation marks, though it's pretty crap right now (works fine though)
- worked on the UI a bit
- implemented throwing, except not really
For now I made it so you 'lock on' in front of you and can't move or control the camera. You can see it at the end of the webm.
Now all that's missing is the throwing animation and the item actually being thrown.

Should I try and get this to Demo Day? I think it's a bit early and a lot of stuff is missing, but I could try to get at least a couple of features in the game in time.
>>
>>180939698
Been a while since you posted progress. but finally some wolf cleavage
>>
File: Untitled-1 cop3.png (504KB, 1920x3840px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-1 cop3.png
504KB, 1920x3840px
>trying to anticipate the development of the tileset
:/
>>
>>180939778
But I posted yesterday too. And I posted a couple of times last week as well.
>>
>>180939698
oh my
>>
>>180939861
Hmm, must've missed it.
>>
>>180939778
He posted wolf cleavage yesterday
>>
>>180939698
Nice. Any advice on where to look for some basic AI like this?
>>
>>180939698
This seems like low poly done right.
>>
>>180939028
Is that a collection of bits of different songs you put together
>>
How would friction work in 3d?
Idk how to deal with += and -= when you have positive and negative values.
>>
File: sad pepe.jpg (8KB, 262x192px) Image search: [Google]
sad pepe.jpg
8KB, 262x192px
>tfw no wolf mummy to hunt you down
>>
>>180940087
is a reference, just like artists do when they start a drawing.

have no musical skill, so I'm trying to do the same when I draw.
>>
>>180940106
Apply a force that's equal to Velocity/Whatever * (-1)
If you go in the direction that is "+", then you'll get a negative force that counteracts, and vice versa.
Most engines have that feature built in anyway.
>>
File: 1481473305499.png (178KB, 382x419px) Image search: [Google]
1481473305499.png
178KB, 382x419px
>>180939698
do they fug when you lose (or win)?
>>
>>180940032
Look up Sebastian Lague on youtube, he made a short series on making a stealth game focused on the enemy AI.
>>
>>180940223
I see
>>
>>180940305
if you lose, they fug
if you win, you comfort the wolf through fug
>>
>>180940320
thanks a lot
>>
>>180940223
one with no skill in drawing must start with the fundamentals
>>
>>180940305
they're both fugged in the long run
>>
File: ss+(2017-06-27+at+07.22.08).jpg (833KB, 1920x1018px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2017-06-27+at+07.22.08).jpg
833KB, 1920x1018px
Where is this bullshit coming from and why do I only get it in standalone.
>>
>>180940734
deep
>>
>frog jam
>no shmup including a frog shooting tadpoles
alternatively
>no swinging mechanics
>>
>>180940298
How would you apply it though? += or -=? Or neither?
At the moment my friction = (xVel + zVel) / 1.1 * (-1)
>>
>>180939698
It's funny, our games looked almost identical up until a day or two ago.

Does your wolf have an actual route, or is she just doing whatever?
>>
>>180940991
frogs don't swing
>>
>>180941079
You add it, since it's direction is opposite to the velocity.
>>
File: Handsfree-catgirl-snorkel.png (984B, 40x56px) Image search: [Google]
Handsfree-catgirl-snorkel.png
984B, 40x56px
>>180925789
Snorkeling catgirl
>>
>>180940106
Multiply speed by some scalar each frame.
Or just use the engine's built-in friction.
>>
>>180941294
It messed up my direction (no longer camera dependent) and didn't slow it down.
What do you think I'm doing wrong? Here's the code atm.

float currentSpeedX = Input.GetAxisRaw("Horizontal") * speed;
float currentSpeedZ = Input.GetAxisRaw("Vertical") * speed;

xVelocity += currentSpeedX * 0.05f;
zVelocity += currentSpeedZ * 0.05f;

float friction = (xVelocity + zVelocity) / 1.1f * -1;
xVelocity += friction;
zVelocity += friction;

xVelocity = Mathf.Clamp(xVelocity, -4, 4);
zVelocity = Mathf.Clamp(zVelocity, -4, 4);
>>
File: snorkel-catgirl.png (2KB, 160x224px) Image search: [Google]
snorkel-catgirl.png
2KB, 160x224px
>>180941442
Resized
>>
What do you need to do when a game is complete?
Create a company? Create a company bank account? Copyright the game?

Can you just pay $100 to Steam or do you need to verify you are legitimate?
>>
>>180941821
pretty cute
>>
>>180941184
She has a set of waypoints to go through in order.
If she spots the player from afar, she stops to check.
If the player gets out of sight quickly enough, she will go inspect the last player position and then go back to patrol.
If the player gets spotted from close up, she will chase them, although nothing currently happens if she gets you so >>180940305 no, no they don't fug (yet) no they won't fug ever
>>
>>180941936
>Copyright the game?
Anon if you didn't know that copyright is automatic you should probably stay away from business
>>
>>180941936
I don't know, that never happened to me
>>
>>180941821
i'd go swimming with her
>>
File: Unity_2017-06-27_19-34-04.png (120KB, 501x362px) Image search: [Google]
Unity_2017-06-27_19-34-04.png
120KB, 501x362px
>>180941981
Forgot the pic.
>>
>>180941936
Steam needs a semen sample before they'll actually distribute your game. If your sperm count is too low then it's a no-go.
>>
>>180941936
1. Make and finish the game.
2. Make sure is something people will be willing to pay.
3. Make a bank account.
4. Make a steam developer account.
5. Get some publisher or do marketing by yourself.
6. Put it on steam.
7. There's other ways to make money off free games, like freemium android games and html5 portals.
>>
>>180931110
>it seems that you haven't written a fantasy story(whether short or long), ever
post your fantasy stories, short and long

>it seems that you haven't programmed anything beyond run-of-the-mill games like platformers and JRPG's
post all your games, platformers, jrpgs and those "beyond"

>I programmed a space grand strategy
post your grand strategy game

the point is that you spam this thread begging people to work for you for free without showing even a shred of competence or skill. please post all those games you've programmed and fantasy novels you've written so we know you're serious and not the waste of oxygen you appear to be.
>>
Alright, it's your lucky day.
I'm an artist, and I have some free time available for the right project.
Let's begin by talking about what you have so far.
>>
File: ss+(2017-06-27+at+07.41.04).jpg (206KB, 1097x643px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2017-06-27+at+07.41.04).jpg
206KB, 1097x643px
>>180940963
So apparently Screen Space Reflection can do that.
I don't really get why you would want that.
>>
>>180942612
I have a garry's mod map I put 30 minutes into would you like to see it?
>>
>>180942612
What are you interested in working with?
>>
>work like a dog on your skills
>nobody cares because it's just games lol
>>
>>180943260
>making effort for the sake of getting attention
just become a camwhore
>>
>>180943260
>ACKNOWLEDGE MEEE
Nah
>>
How do you build a fan base that will give you a ridiculous amount of free advertisement like with Touhou?
>>
>>180943393
But that's even harder unless you were born a cute girl.
>>
>>180943260
>he doesn't want to be a 1MA
pleb
>>
>>180943463
hookers n blow.
>>
Anyone work with VR in unity before?
How do you handle porting to different devices? I'm hoping i can port to android, oculus, and vive atm
>>
>>180926220
I'm looking to beef up my programming skills, ignoring all the issues that everybody else has pointed out
> I don't recieve a dime from this and so won't you. Only thing I am after is to put something finished into my portfolio

Why won't you release this as well as adding it to your portfolio?

I'll potentially put spare time into this over the course of a month if you release it & are prepared to give an adequate % of all sales.
>>
>>180943260
>practice skills
>it's all still garbage
>>
>>180943393
>>180943437
Okay, I said it wrong, I was talking about a lack of respect compared to other vocations.
>>
>>180943463
I'm pretty sure by the time Touhou blew up the series had like half a dozen games already, and at least some of them weren't shit.
>>
>>180943463
Tap into a subgroup's particular brand of autism. Waifuism and furries are the easiest targets, but patrician merchants know an untapped market when they see one, such as the "perform tasks so mindless that the people who perform them in real life invariable become broken, bitter people" simulator market.
>>
>>180932575
>above average

do you have any professional game dev experience or are you just a delusional indie dev with an over-inflated ego?
>>
>>180943646
just watched a talk on that exactly
https://github.com/turbobutton/tbutt-vr-framework
>>
>>180942991
Very funny, but serious replies only please

>>180943043
Do you have a game or not?
>>
Do you need to learn C before C++?
>>
>>180944086
>I'm an artist
>Don't hit on me you sillly programmers ;)
>Get on your knees and beg, and maybe I'll deign to bless you with textures and meshes
Post your portfolio
>>
File: hwJdo0b[1].jpg (525KB, 2880x1620px) Image search: [Google]
hwJdo0b[1].jpg
525KB, 2880x1620px
>>180944086
not him, but I have this
>>
How long should a heavily proc gen strategy game that is meant to be replayed be?
>>
>>180944086
Of course I do, but answer my question.
>>
>>180944243
No, they're different languages.
Learning C isn't a bad idea though because all mainstream languages are derived from it one way or another. But you probably shouldn't pick it (or C++) as your first language, as it's essentially a wrapper for assembly and so it's really easy to fuck up.
>>
>>180942612
i have a massive open world rpg with over 500 hours of playtime but there is no art yet just 3d ascii text for everything
>>
>>180944425
>tfw learned programming in a highschool elective
>tfw they chose to start us with a dialect of assembly
>>
>>180943934
>professional game dev
i said above average not sub human
>>
>>180943950
Oh wow how lucky thanks
You gotta a link to thay talk as well?
>>
Autist here looking for programmer and artist to make my game for me
>>
>>180944560
Do you have a complete design doc?
If not, you're not autistic, you're just lazy.
>>
>>180944539
so you have no professional experience, make shitty text-based games, yet you consider yourself above average

alright, thank you for clarifying & confirming the delusion & an over-inflated ego
>>
>>180944560
Programmer here looking for an Autist to be an Autist and an Artist to make art for my game.
>>
>>180944425
I know java and c# pretty well but I don't know the best place to learn C++.
>>
>>180944639
>you're not autistic
Thank you
>>
Game here looking for programmer and artist to make me
>>
>>180944830
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yd0fBXwDBmo
>>
SJW here looking for a game to call problematic and a man to feed me skittles
>>
The game here, you just lost me
>>
File: LowCasteScarran.jpg (22KB, 338x422px) Image search: [Google]
LowCasteScarran.jpg
22KB, 338x422px
>>180942297
gee
>post your fantasy stories, short and long
My fiction works are written on paper and are stashed in some dusty shoebox. I can't be assed to digitalize them. All of them are victims of the "new project" syndrome. I also wrote random scenes of fantasy while I was in military service. There were a lot of nothing-to-do-moments but those moments were also no-electronic-devices moments, so I could only scribble into my notebook. I could, potentially, retype one of these into pastebin. Not today, since it is 20:53 and I want to go to sleep soon, but ask me again tomorrow and you will get a sample.

>post all your games, platformers, jrpgs and those "beyond"
most of these suffered from "new project" syndrome. I have switched my OS with a clean install at least thrice within last few years and those games got formated along with all else. I have been running on my current Windows since this summer. Two of the most recent one's had an online presence.

Destination: Proxima Centauri b
https://linnu.itch.io/destination-proxima-centauri-b
It was for the Dino Jam. It got into time trouble since it was my first time doing UI with that kind of functionality in that kind of scope. Called it quits when I discovered that converting python script to exe's was not possible with my version of Python.

Astro-Realpolitic Project
http://zuberoan-blog.tumblr.com/
Ignore the "supposed" RPG post in there. This project had almost no direction. It had no proper Concept Doc. I thought of mechanics to add on the fly. This caused a lot of the previous mechanics to be remade halfway through. Classifications of what should and what should not be an entity also changed over the development. Also, I was constantly unable to decide what to do next. I had little overall vision. Were it like regular space games, I could have just copied what they had, but this one was too different, so I had to come up with stuff on my own. When I started the drawing chore I got too fed up and rage quit.
>>
Depressed man here, looking for a spark of hope and reason to live.
>>
>>180945184
That's extremely problematic tbqh also bad design
>>
File: 127095609349.jpg (21KB, 450x299px) Image search: [Google]
127095609349.jpg
21KB, 450x299px
>>180945129
>SJW
>looking for a man
>>
i give up
>>
>>180944728
over inflated ego would be some wagie who spends every day making particle effects and thinks theyre even a game developer much less above someone who has designed, developed, released and makes cash off their own IP.
>>
>>180945365
he's probably gay
>>
>>180944550
https://youtu.be/ujl0gzj-89g?t=10m
>>
>>180945464
me too
>>
>>180945464
*posts link to youtube video of Revy speaking Engrish*
>>
>>180944425
>you probably shouldn't pick it (or C++) as your first language, as it's essentially a wrapper for assembly and so it's really easy to fuck up.

that's precisely why you SHOULD pick c as your first language, so you can fuck up a lot when it doesn't hurt any real project, and learn that programming is always just sending instructions to the processor to fuck with memory. once you know how things work you can elect to not worry about it anymore by picking some garbage-collected "safe" language for your actual work, or stick with c/c++ if you're a real man.

the tragedy is when you start with java or something and now you're going to forever think that programming is about "objects" or some such fantasy crap and that your actual hardware is a scary monster you are glad your ide is protecting you from. this sucks because low level programming is really fun, not scary at all and actually much more straightforward than the seventeen libraries you've cobbled together into a jungle of elaborate oop patterns.
>>
>>180945505
do show the "games" that you make money off then
>>
>>180945505
Now now Kaiji is hardly your own IP
>>
>>180945238
>>180945238
see
>>180943675
>>
File: gogem posted a thing.gif (2MB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
gogem posted a thing.gif
2MB, 300x300px
>>180945505
>>
File: mobile.png (12KB, 481x425px) Image search: [Google]
mobile.png
12KB, 481x425px
>>
>>180946090
if everybody stops replying to gogem he'll finally vanish
>>
>>180946091
market is flooded
>>
>>180946192
Nope. I've seen him go days without getting (You)s and continue to lip off. He's mental.
>>
>>180946192
its been YEARS of gogem, they never learn. But at this point he;s entertaining, whenever he voice his opinion like he *knows* was is good just makes me smile.
>>
File: fs.png (695KB, 979x690px) Image search: [Google]
fs.png
695KB, 979x690px
>>180946242
and steam isn't?
>>
>>180946378
my target market is not steam
>>
>>180941981
>spoiler
dropped
>>
>>180946335
>>180946363
oh ok then
>>
>>180945717
I agree that OOP probably isn't the best way to learn the basics, but I don't think it's a good idea to start novices with shit like manual memory allocation. It's too much to think about.

I'd recommend Python as a first language, because you have OOP features available when you're ready to learn them but you don't have to structure the entire program around them like you do in Java. It's also got fairly simple syntax.

Also everyone should learn Scheme, but nobody will
>>
>>180943675
The free option is the default option with permissiveness to develop a follow up for all of the participants.

However, a commercial release can be a thing if this project doesn't fail AND the collaborators truly want it.

I can live with it being released free. And it WILL be released free if anyone in our team starts to act like a jew. Such a contract will be a thing where you have to agree that everything you do for it, will belong to the project - to avoid someone from fucking the project over by holding parts of it ransom. Also I must write clause where "if the project goes the commercial route, but partners cannot or will not reach an agreement(within what timeframe? needs expanding), then project defaults into the free release plan".

Its a rambling - I hope you understand.
>>
>>180946378
>make a thing spin: the game

holy shit is this how you successfully gamedev? were we blindfolded by roguelike metroidvania ror clone tactics games?
>>
>>180945238
>I can't be assed to digitalize them.
>those games got formated
>Called it quits
>I got too fed up and rage quit

wow writing you won't post, mythical games you lost and two abandoned projects that look like you put two days of work into each. you sure seem like a serious developer people should do unpaid work for and not someone who quits as soon as any serious effort is required.
>>
>>180946378
surprised it took so long honestly
>>
>>180946796
>he didnt make a fidget spinner app for mobile
what's it like being poor?
>>
>>180946796
You think just having an unreleased game on Steam makes you a successful game dev?
>>
>>180944284
Looks light-hearted, possibly interested. What engine?

>>180944442
Wow that sounds pretty ridiculous but intriguing. How are you making it?

Was hoping for a little more interest in an artist with gamedev experience offering free work heh.
>>
>>180946378
How is the physical shape of these things not owned by somebody?
>>
>>180947049
Yes. It's on steam.
>>
>>180947114
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uM523jjrvf4
And this is on the PS4
>>
>>180947114
gogem games are on steam, it means nothing
>>
>>180947086
>Was hoping for a little more interest in an artist with gamedev experience offering free work heh.
Post your portfolio instead of jerking yourself off.

>>180947114
I'm pretty sure the only requirement to get on Steam now is $100 and a valid ID.
>>
>>180946091
Can't play real games on a touchscreen.
>>
>>180947086
What other games have you worked on?
>>
>>180946925
I proved that I have made games and that I can program
>y-you have to have a released title for it to count

moving goalposts, are you?
>>
>>180946645
>I don't think it's a good idea to start novices with shit like manual memory allocation. It's too much to think about.

how? you ask for memory, you get memory. you write to the memory, you watch the data show up in memory using your debugger. you fuck with the memory and watch it change. put shit where you're not allowed to and you get a fun crash! congratulations, you just became a computer programmer. this should literally be your first programming lesson, before control flow even. why would this basic shit have to be hidden from beginners? you'd confuse people more with python where you put a number in a variable and unknown scary things happen under the hood. in c you go "this memory should hold the number five" and watch the binary for five show up in your debugger's memory window. no mysteries, no lies. you're a programmer, not a baby, you can handle memory without being told stories about the birds and the bees.
>>
>>180947807
>how?
Because it's easy to make a mistake and get a memory leak, especially when you are new and the only reason you remember to close your brackets is because the compiler tells you to.
>>
>>180945238
>>180947654
I can't believe it. You're the same massive autist that bitched about dinosaur girls.
Why are you still alive? Why do you still come here? What the fuck have you been doing since your last 'game'?

Now that I think about it, I should have known it was you from your writing style and the autism you display in every post.
>>
>>180948041
People forget what it's like to be new, and then they assume too much of the average neophyte's ability.
>>
>>180947654
no goalposts are moving at all, i asked specifically for this:

>so we know you're serious and not the waste of oxygen

and you admitted you're not serious because you abandon everything you start at the first sign of trouble and you construct really pathetic excuses for it. i mean fucking read this:

>I was constantly unable to decide what to do next.
>I had to come up with stuff on my own.
>I got too fed up and rage quit.

just imagine looking at yourself from an outside perspective for once. would you work, for free, for a whiny bitch like that?
>>
File: 1465517977444.jpg (156KB, 658x658px) Image search: [Google]
1465517977444.jpg
156KB, 658x658px
>>180946378
>minecraft background
>>
>>180927952
>You know, force push, lightning, dual wield lightsabers, uh, force push
Top kek
>>
>spent all day trying to fix a nitpicky issue
>every aspect of my AI has now regressed and I can't get it as good as it used to be

almost time to revert lads. Disappointed though. Can't tell if I'm fucking up or if Unreal is breaking
>>
>>180947237
>>180947254
I guess I Should have known better than to hope for anything else. It's the same every time I post here. About to stop trying.
>>
>>180949138
>About to stop trying.
Did you mean lying?
>>
>>180927952
>muh rope arrows
prey did something similar with the gloo cannon and it literally broke the game
>>
>Post art post art post art
So sick of this meme honestly
>>
>>180948125
I didn't forget about you either.

I guess the bantz and salt keeps bringing me back.

After the space strategy game I just played vidya and worked as a lumberjack for a while. Cleared my mind completely from gamedev for some months. Its like coming back from a vacation.

>>180948536
>no goalposts are moving at all
you wanted to know if I am able to make games. I showed you that I am.

>and you admitted you're not serious because you abandon everything
so, you have 0 abandoned projects
I find it hard to believe

>you construct really pathetic excuses for it
subjective

>just imagine looking at yourself from an outside perspective for once. would you work, for free, for a whiny bitch like that?
lol, I ain't the whiny bitch here. takes a lot of autism to assert such a thing, considering that you(or one of your compatriots) are the one who has done nothing but whining
>>
>>180949138
start making pong.
>>
>>180948041
>Because it's easy to make a mistake and get a memory leak

that is just bizarre. you shouldn't learn it because you might make mistakes? that's the whole point. that's how you learn, you make mistakes early and in simple code where mistakes are easily caught. this is not even about programming, you have a backwards idea of what "learning" even is.

>>180948373
>People forget what it's like to be new, and then they assume too much of the average neophyte's ability.

the whole point is that no previous ability is required. you need a shitton of knowledge to REALLY know what python does, with c it's just literally "put 5 in there, look 5 is now where you said it should go, hurray!" with no hidden complexities at all. it's actually that simple, whereas python looks simple for five seconds until someone asks "well where does the number actually go?" and then it turns out the explanation takes two college semesters.
>>
>>180949372
you could always post your 2k lines of code and pretend everyone knows whats going on in it to admire the beauty.
>>
>>180939778
>being this obsessed
>>
>>180949372
ur lucky they tell me to stop posting instead
>>
File: 5234471-running-images.jpg (430KB, 2716x1525px) Image search: [Google]
5234471-running-images.jpg
430KB, 2716x1525px
Friendly reminder to go outside and do some exercise.
>>
>>180949859
Nothing wrong with being obsessed with wolf tits tbqh
>>
In Unity, if you do like:
characterMovement.forward
does this get the local vector for where the character is currently facing?
>>
>>180949624
>you make mistakes early
You're forgetting that you can only learn from mistakes if you know they're mistakes, and memory leaks aren't caught by the compiler. So you forget to deallocate the memory and you get zero feedback, so you have no idea you even made a mistake. Meanwhile, you're getting so many compiler errors from forgotten brackets or semicolons that you aren't even thinking about your memory management.

>"well where does the number actually go?"
In the variable.
Do you not understand that the point of higher-level languages is abstraction? The more abstraction you have, the easier it is to learn. And once you understand it as a high level, it's actually quite easy to learn it at a low level.

It's not like you can know where the variable goes in C without understanding how memory works anyway. "So I allocated memory, but what does that mean? Where is the memory?"

You also don't need to know any of this. You need to know how to program. It's easier to learn that if you start with a language like Python that has simple, straightforward syntax and then move on to C once you know how to make the computer do things, so that you can learn how to make it your bitch.

You may as well advocate for starting with assembly, so that you understand registers.
>>
>>180950226
Why would you ask this, instead of just checking it or looking at docs?
>>
>>180949624
>"well where does the number actually go?"
i don't think its the kind of question you should be asking in Python in the first place
>>
>>180950226
yep
>>
>>180950226
player.transform.forward is the forward vector of the object called "player"
>>
>>180949528
>you wanted to know if I am able to make games. I showed you that I am.

i wanted to know if you're serious, you showed me you're not. you are able to start games, work for two days and run away crying for a reason as trivial as "my version of python wouldn't output an exe for some reason".

you're the one spamming the thread with your begging for unpaid programmers, you're the one with shit to prove. so far you've proven you're unreliable and whiny and no one should touch your projects with a 10 foot pole because you will give up a week when you encounter the slightest resistance. enjoy your quest for free programmers.
>>
Wait a sec, are the artists who refuse to post art actually for real? No one can be that arrogant
>>
File: footprints.webm (3MB, 1536x844px) Image search: [Google]
footprints.webm
3MB, 1536x844px
Do you find little touches like this important in games? Is it worth the hassle? I usually really like them, but not sure if others are as appreciative as I am.
>>
>>180950590
no, it's just one mong repeating a tired forced meme and idiots falling for it
>>
>>180950590
You've gotta be a sub 70 IQ retard if you think anyone involved in the artist meme is for real.
>>
>>180950590
it's a meme where a poster poses as an artist and shoots down any attempts to get him to show the portfolio and also shoots down any devs that might come looking for cooperation, usually with the reason of rejection being the choice of engine or lack of thereof, of course while still not showing any portfolio
>>
>>180950656
Didn't notice them until you pointed them out
>>
>>180950590
I'm pretty sure it's a troll but I can't be sure.
Odds are his art's no good if he's that arrogant, though. Self-loathing and realistic anatomy go hand-in-hand.
>>
>>180950656
What made you decide to make the ghost look like an emo kid straight out of 2008?
>>
>>180950590
Every single time I try to work with a programmer here, I get completely memed on. Now tell me why I should post art? When they most likely don't even have a game? Waste of my time
>>
>>180950656
Yes, I always appreciate this kind of stuff
>>
>>180950217
she's 16...
>>
>>180950867
...And?
>>
>>180950798
>implying art is only good if it has realistic anatomy
>>
>>180950817
Hes Grim Reapers stupid kid brother that is not as good at his job. So he looks like a joke.
>>
>>180950656
People are still posting about MGS2 and its TECHNOLOGY years after the fact. The fact that /v/ had (maybe still has, fuck if I know) TECHNOLOGY threads in the first place is sufficient evidence that players appreciate the little touches.

Obviously you won't be getting people posting about your snow footprint TECHNOLOGY because it's not the year 1994, but yes, it can be a worthwhile touch if you can spare the time.
>>
>>180950337
it's a question anybody who programs in anything should ask. the point of something like garbage collection is to simplify certain tasks, not actually free you from having to know what a computer is. starting with c makes you a programmer who knows what's going on but can still choose not to care if the situation doesn't require caring about what's going on under the hood. that's what a good programmer is. actually not knowing is crippling to a programmer.
>>
>>180950867
that's legal in majority of places outside america
>>
>>180950867
Thats like 70 in human years
>>
>>180950931
Too old
>>
>pretending your not American on an American imageboard
>>
>>180951008
most of america too
>>
>>180946378
holy shit the trailer has audio from the first Cars film

is this the holy grail of windev
>>
>>180950464
>i wanted to know if you're serious, you showed me you're not
nothing I post is gonna satisfy your "serious" criteria

>as trivial as "my version of python wouldn't output an exe for some reason"
trivial, eh?
go ahead then, write a script or a program to convert a project, written in Python 3.4.3 along with all API's used, into standalone executable
it should be half a day of work for such an outspoken individual, such as yourself
I'll be waiting that converter.

>you're the one spamming the thread
highly subjective

>you're the one with shit to prove.
yea
I need to prove that my project is almost done in order for anyone to join
I need to prove that I am a programming prodigy - able to program my own language if I wanted
I also need to prove that I am an acclaimed writer
I need to prove that I have released several games on steam all of which have 10.000 hits a day

is there anything else you want me to prove?
>>
>>180951669
theres no such thing as countries that arent america 2bh, just really elaborate larping.
>>
>>180950824
>Every single time I try to work with a programmer here, I get completely memed on.
Stop working with anonymous people on 4CHAN you dumb fuck
>>
>>180950824
t. not an artist
>>
File: 128.jpg (3KB, 111x125px) Image search: [Google]
128.jpg
3KB, 111x125px
>>180925789
WAKE UP AT 5
SMASH IT
SLEEP AT 12
REPEAT
WE CAN DO THIS
https://youtu.be/7tcEwF1Q9-s
>>
>>180951756
that you're not a faggot? oh wait, that's impossible
>>
>>180951002
an amateur shouldn't be making games where garbage collection becomes a bottleneck
>>
Hello. Lots of new developments since my last progress post:

- Implemented incremental weapon swapping, i.e. press the same keyboard button multiple times for higher tiers of the same kind of gun

- Put in a weapon swap bar in the bottom so the player can tell what they're swapping to/from. Eventually this will only appear when the player swaps and disappear after a few seconds but I haven't put that in yet

- Re-drew the muzzleflashes so they don't look as much like ass scaled up

- Changed the recoil on shotguns (not shown er) to only be random inside the cone, the outer two pellets are at pre-set angles

I am still dreading having to make enemies!
>>
>>180951962
you said you're doing it in construct 2, right? never used the engine, but apparently it has built-in pathfinding so there shouldn't be a problem
>>
>>180952196
Yeah, I hope it's not too hard to use but I'm eager to learn if it does turn out that way. Better than coding my own from scratch, at least.
>>
Will there ever be another agdg jam?
>>
>>180950292
>you can only learn from mistakes if you know they're mistakes, and memory leaks aren't caught by the compiler

that's why i keep mentioning the debugger, and any good teacher/book will explain this. you write code, you step through it, you watch the memory. that's an actual programming education. it's simple and it's fun because it's visual, you step through code and watch shit change.

>In the variable.

what's a variable? oh i forgot we're not allowed to know yet.

>The more abstraction you have, the easier it is to learn

that's a silly idea. abstraction is discarding things you don't care about, not actually not knowing they exist. having 5 go into the memory is simpler than having 5 go into a magical place that fairies occasionally clean up but don't ask about the fairies yet, that's an advanced subject.

>And once you understand it as a high level, it's actually quite easy to learn it at a low level.

actually, the opposite is much easier. you don't actually understand python without going through a ton of oop fairytales. unless what you're advocating is learning 10% of python, switching to c, and coming back to the rest of python, but why?

>start with a language like Python that has simple, straightforward syntax and then move on to C

c has more straightforward syntax than python, and more useful to a beginner since it's more widespread.

>You may as well advocate for starting with assembly, so that you understand registers.

actually, that's step 2 after c since stepping through c code with a debugger will make you ready to understand the basics of processor design. you can just see the assembly code right next to your c code in the vs debugger. c really makes for the best starting point whether you want to care about the machine or go fly with the oop fairies.
>>
>>180951669
>not pretending to be japanese 24/7
>>
>>180951907
>that you're not a faggot?
I don't need to prove that. You should remember me enough. You are the one who always jumps in to defend faggerie.

Remember poll fiasco? Remember anime epidemic? Remember anatomical correctness of dinosaurs? Remember the loli era?

You, or someone who writes exactly like you, was the bottom faggot during all of these. Prove me wrong
>>
>set up tab to pause the game, open the inventory, and activate the mouse
>mouse doesn't trigger hover events until i click on the interface
>clicking on the interface unfocuses the game window, so i have to click the game behind the interface to interact with anything but the mouse cursor
How do I fix this in Unreal
>>
>>180952549
>Remember poll fiasco? Remember anime epidemic? Remember anatomical correctness of dinosaurs? Remember the loli era?
Yeah, why is why i'm accusing you of being a faggot.
>>
File: 1342985702283.jpg (30KB, 299x288px) Image search: [Google]
1342985702283.jpg
30KB, 299x288px
>>180952485
So basically you believe that the initial goal of anyone wanting to learn basic programming should be an advanced understanding of computer hardware and machine code because your autistic brain can't handle abstraction unless you know the full details of everything that's been abstracted
>>
>>180951756
>I need to prove that my project is almost done in order for anyone to join
>I need to prove that I am a programming prodigy - able to program my own language if I wanted
>I also need to prove that I am an acclaimed writer
>I need to prove that I have released several games on steam all of which have 10.000 hits a day

it's hilarious that you think "not giving up immediately" is as unreasonable a demand as selling a million copies. i suppose for you working on something for more than two days is just as likely as going to the moon.

you want free help. you have nothing to give back. you have no money, you have no skills, no work ethic, you're not even a nice person, just another egocentric adolescent that thinks the world owes them shit. you have nothing to offer at all.
>>
>>180951918
we're talking about learning how to program. you should know what memory is if you want to be a programmer.
>>
File: E06S23CSD.jpg (1MB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
E06S23CSD.jpg
1MB, 1200x1600px
>>180925789
Where do I read up on asset dimensions? Like how much should the camera view + what are good sprite sizes and etc..
>>
How do you control the amount of frames something takes to do? For example the amount of frames it takes for a hitbox to come out when starting an attack.
What's a general method for doing this, in Unity, for example?
>>
>>180952651
>faps to flat chested lolis
>needs anime everywhere to not die
>wants anything and everything to be fuckable, including dinosaurs
>wanted to get dominated and fucked by my dog
oy-geee
I guess I cannot argue with someone who is such an expert in being faggot.
If you say that I am a faggot, so be it - who else is gonna know when someone else is faggot than the biggest faggot of them all.
>>
>>180952615
Set Input Mode [...] on your player controller
>>
>>180953246
Good luck with your game :^)
>>
>>180953202
If you can't tie it directly to the animation somehow, you could just wait X frames.
>>
>>180953151
https://80.lv/articles/textel-density-tutorial/
I dunno about 2D though
>>
today has a disturbingly low progress posts
>>
>>180952974
I cannot argue with someone who thinks that 2 months of work is "immediately"

>you're not even a nice person
hey, now
I consider my responses to be very polite and non-rude
you need to show proof
>>
>>180952850
no i think anyone that wants to know how to program seriously should have the sort of understanding of computer hardware than one can acquire with a few hours of playing with the vc++ debugger before moving on to whatever they want to pursue, be it super-low level or not. this is the basic requirement of being a competent programmer of any kind.

the mystification here is that you keep claiming that understanding memory in c is some sort of herculean task one has to become a monk to even consider, but in reality it only takes a few sessions with a competent teacher or a few days with a book and the benefits will be enormous for the rest of your programming days. i was a literal child when i learned that shit.
>>
>>180953547
I've done nothing but make menus today.
They don't even look good.
>>
>>180953667
>I consider my responses to be very polite and non-rude
>you need to show proof

you can be polite and insufferable at once.
>>
>>180953417
appreciated
>>
>>180953547
my progress has been all over the place for the last two weeks because i've been rather busy with exams and other irl stuff, i don't really have anything i would like to display yet
i will also probably miss out on this demoday unless i crunch really fucking hard after tomorrow
sucks for me because i have a gut feeling there will be another big group fanart and i'm a sucker for these things
>>
>>180952401
Sure why not
>>
>>180904612
the blue dino guy game, I'll post progress soonish at least
>>
>>180953782
thanks?
>>
>>180953202
Unity has two separate update loops, Update() which runs each frame, and FixedUpdate, which runs at regular intervals regardless of framerate (50 times a second by default).

So 3 frames is as long as Update() takes 3 times to execute.

But in reality using FixedUpdate and timing things accurately and independently of rendering is the non-autistic modern day way. You don't have to lock the framerate and even an absolute toaster that runs the game at 10FPS gets consistent timing.
>>
>>180953673
>the mystification here is that you keep claiming that understanding memory in c is some sort of herculean task one has to become a monk to even consider,
no anon, it's just shit that will confuse novices and isn't necessary if you're trying to program a game in Unity or GM
it's not hard to learn but it's not important enough to justify piling it on top of someone who already needs to learn about typing, scope, and so on

learning low-level stuff first takes more time but has little benefit compared to starting with the high-level stuff you will be using anyway. you can always come back and learn it later, and much faster now that you know all the basics, if you need to or want to.
>>
File: ok.jpg (41KB, 305x225px) Image search: [Google]
ok.jpg
41KB, 305x225px
i never worked on cooking like i said i would, better luck on the night shift.
>>
what's the theme of the next jam?
>>
in UE4 is it possible to implement the ragdoll system used in gta 4? i don't mean exactly what they used but creating something similar, maybe (probably) using blueprints
>>
>>180954182
waifus
>>
>>180954182
Work On Your Game Jam
>>
>>180946091
I am.
>>
>>180954209
The system they use is called Euphoria, there are probably some writeups about it around the internet.
>>
>>180954215
no
>>
>>180926220
>I just want to get something finished on my portfolio
>project will take about a month
>>180927962
>I'm making a document that will inform the design document
this does not add up at all
HOLY SHIT I JUST REALIZED, THE PIC RESEMBLES THAT THING
remember that cat thing that was a meme here for a while, had some dumb name attached to it, tagus or something?
>>
>>180954209
https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Engine/Animation/PhysicallyDrivenAnimation/
>>
>>180954209
If you mean is it possible to turn the player into a ragdoll when hit by an explosion, yes.
If that's not what you mean, the answer is still probably yes, but if you want to clone Euphoria you should realize that there's a reason AAA companies license it instead of cloning it.
>>
>>180954385
i know but it doesn't look like i would either afford it or regardless be able to put it inside a shitty demo of an idea i want to make
>>180954460
fuck
>>
>>180926996
>tfw keep voting in these and even making new options but never make a game for them
I just wish I felt capable enough, but my time and attention span and creativity level and art skills, it's just too much
>>
>>180954419
>this does not add up at all
concept doc is a hard one
design doc is very easy if you have a concept doc
>>
>>180941697
pls halp
>>
>>180950656
I would go so far as to say it's important for your game.
>>
Not sure why I'm even bothering but here goes,
Artist available for the right project. Tell me about your game (Yes you must be working on a game). Serious replies only, not interested in meming.
>>
>>180928039
do you have any tunes in your head?
what I do is wait until I have something, record it a capella on my phone, play it back later and try to find good notes for it in LMMS, and then do further tweaking there
all my "songs" so far are really short (except one, I'm not even sure where it came from) but it's a start
>>
should I abandon tumblr and use the itch devlog thing?
>>
>>180954846
uh what kind of artist my dude?
>>
>>180954903
keep it, normies use it, and you need the audience, ithio is niche
>>
>>180954912
I'm pretty flexible, have a background in traditional media and have worked the past year or so in digital. As far as style, like I said it's flexible. Tell me about your game but don't call me "my dude" again.
>>
>>180954846
Could you at least wait for the next thread before doing this again

>>180954912
He's not an artist, he's a trolling memer.
>>
>>180954893
I have no musical skill.
>>
>>180955010
music/sound artist?
>>
>>180954846
hello, nodev here. i'm unfortunate only here for meming, but if you want you can hit me up on discord
>>
>>
>>180928425
but why are you using transparent shadows?
>>
>>180955140
hey my dude how much nodev experience
got any examples of you not doing anything?
>>
>>180930029
able
>>
>>180954040
>if you're trying to program a game in Unity or GM

yeah but i was talking about being a programmer, not someone who just writes little scripts for a video game. if you don't care about being a programmer then sure, don't learn programming, you can always just type guy.goForward() or whatever without knowing what a computer is.
>>
>have 11~ years hammer/map creating experience for hl2 to gmod to csgo
>can't apply this anywhere because i just use existing assets

i want to create maps for real games and have no idea where to start

i believe i make good level design, not the art part of it

what do i even do? where do i start? making fancy scenes in unreal engine?
>>
>>180955224
i don't have a game, but i don't want to prove it because you might copy my nogame. pm me on discord or AOL and we can discuss your pay ok
>>
File: 1480362916881.png (104KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
1480362916881.png
104KB, 1600x900px
>>180955359
That is some tempting bait

>>180930029
adhoc
>>
>>180955060
No you idiot, visual arts. Tell me about your game
>>
>>180931535
currently over 66,000 characters
the highest I think has been about 90,000 characters when I had a lot of non-working code sitting around and was trying space-intensive alternatives to those approaches
>>
>>180955473
I had the same start, I'd definitely recommend UE4 if you just want to make maps.

>>180933561
>>
>>180930029
sacrifice
>>
>>180955612
this is a troll
he will keep asking you to show your game
if you show it he will say he's not interested
if you ask him to show examples of his art he will either say nothing or accuse you of "meming" him

he has literally already done this exist thing in THIS VERY THREAD
stop feeding him
>>
what happened to that pug guys lemming game
>>
File: 3646273_a51f37252a_o.jpg (157KB, 1107x1109px) Image search: [Google]
3646273_a51f37252a_o.jpg
157KB, 1107x1109px
>>180955473
>11 years of level design
>>
>>180950292
>The more abstraction you have, the easier it is to learn.
This is not true for everyone. Some people prefer top-down learning, others prefer bottom-up.

>You may as well advocate for starting with assembly, so that you understand registers.
If you take a computer science course at a decent university they will actually have an assembly course in the first semester specifically for this purpose. If you quickly build an understanding of what a program is doing under the hood that makes it a lot easier to not feel lost.
>>
>>180955473
just continue doing what you do, but open up a patreon and rake in the dough
>>
File: 1437322617955.png (132KB, 388x399px) Image search: [Google]
1437322617955.png
132KB, 388x399px
>two hours and I haven't done even four bars of music
>the suffering continues
>have no keyboard
>>
>>180956052
who is gonna give him patreon money for TF2 maps with no custom assets
>>
Guys I need gameplay ideas for a gacha game. I love gacha games but I don't want to do a match 3 game (PAD), and I don't want to do a turn based strategy (FEH). What other gameplay ideas work with gachas?

Please take this comfy hedgehog as compensation for your input.
>>
>>180955789
yeah that's why i want to start with something real
>>180956052
lmao no thanks
>>
>>180956115
number one thing is get a fucking keyboard

it doesn't even have to be a midi keyboard. get a fucking harmonica if you have to, so long as it has piano keys. then play until you play something you like. get a fucking pen and paper and note it down if you have to. then you put it in your DAW and you make the fucking music
>>
>>180945505
>over inflated ego would be some wagie
whoop whoop that's the /r9k/ alert
>>
>>180954424
Is this just basically reacting to physical hits ? If so, thanks for info, I'm gonna need it for my next project.

>>180956115
>demo day in a couple days
>neither I or my musicbro have any idea what music to make

>>180956289
>What other gameplay ideas work with gachas?
Porn. See Taimanin Asagi Battle Arena.
>>
I don't understand why it's so hard to find a game project in here that needs an artist
>>
>>180956115
buy an nektar impact lx49+
extremely cheap and you won't get better for the price
then get a real DAW

then consider why you are focusing so much on making music instead of your game
>>
>>180953395
Doesn't work.
I think it's set to "Game and UI" by default anyway.
>>
File: 1445667598277.png (223KB, 472x568px) Image search: [Google]
1445667598277.png
223KB, 472x568px
>>180956684
Because the thread is 90% nodevs and 8% of the yesdevs do their own art. Out of the remaining 2% of yesdevs that don't do their own art, half of them already have an artist, and the other half steals assets off of deviantart.
>>
>>180956684
portfolio
>>
>>180956115
You don't need a fucking midi keyboard, literally just imitate songs you want in fl studio or whichever daw youre using, steal chord progressions you like and then put your own little diddly doos on top of them. I swear some of my best songs I made by literally just placing random notes on the piano roll and then rearranging them aftwards.
>>
>>180953547
I haven't posted anything in over a week because I have been doing nothing but refactoring and refining my systems (even going to miss recap this week).
It's for the best though. In the end it can only help, right?
>>
>>180957107
I'll use my pc keyboard.
>>
>>180956684
Notice that he doesn't ever reply when he gets called out for trolling, he just waits a few minutes and then tries again.
>>
>>180956684
Post some art of yours
Post your engine request if any
>>
yesdev looking for website designer
>>
>>180957180
While we're on the subject, tell me what feels you get from this song. I think I'll use it for a forest level (platformer game) but I've not decided.
https://soundcloud.com/jim-malmstr-m/barely-feeling
>>
>>180956981
Care to show how you're doing it ? Just did a quick test on my pause menu, and On Hovered, and it works as intended, no need to click anywhere.
Do you lock the mouse in game ?
>>
>>180956981
Yeah, so when you want to switch between the UI or the Game, set the input mode to them respectively.
>>
>>180957104
>>180957265
Why should I bother when people like >>180957234 this will just meme on me

None of the responses ever actually have a game so what's the point
>>
i just wasted a whole day with the project opened and not doing anything, i need to refactor some code due a bug and i've got discouraged
>>
>>180957760
portfolio
>>
One thing artists love is a hostile environment. Good job guys
>>
>>180957760
But they do, and then you say no thanks I don't like X engine, good luck
At least be consistent with your bait man, come on.
>>
Can someone help explain how this dampening formula works?

oldRatio = 0.9 * FPS;
newRatio = 1.0 - oldRatio;
newDirect = ((oldRatio * oldDirection) + (newRation * desiredDirection))

In theory the ratios mean the character turns 90% towards the direction after one second, but I don't get how it works.
>>
File: 1425371235449.gif (622KB, 375x211px) Image search: [Google]
1425371235449.gif
622KB, 375x211px
>Spend the last 2 hours on making some basic AI
>In the process, fix for my own character movements
Fantastic day so far
>>
>>180957924
I have no idea what you're talking about
>>
>>180957520
has a certain jazzy feel, don't know if to use it for a forest.

maybe make it more like a celtic folk song if you want that forest feeling.

your song has an urban feeling more to it.

I think you should keep the melody, maybe put some european folk orchestration.

you're way better than me, lol.
>>
>>180957901
portfolio
>>
>>180958016
I'm making a game in Unity and I need art, will you do it?
>>
post codefolio
>>
post ideafolio
>>
Recently got inspired to try and make my own game of some kind. I won't go into it too much right now but the mechanics will be pretty traditional jrpg stuff. Didn't want to go for rpgmaker because the engine doesn't seem very powerful. Right now I'm working on learning to use game maker. Is that a smart choice?
Would also appreciate any advice you'd give to someone with no experience in any aspect of game development but would like to try to work on a game casually on my free time.
>>
>>180957589
It's just a branch that checks whether the mouse is showing. If it is, it calls Set Input Mode UI Only. Otherwise, it calls Set Input Mode Game Only. It's part of the event for the open inventory button and obviously it comes after I set the variable that says whether the mouse is visible.

I've tried all three lock settings and none make a difference. I'm not even sure what the "target" is or if I need it. "In Widget To Focus" doesn't have any options to select, either.

I've tried Google and found a lot of people with the same problem, with it labeled as both a bug and working as intended. The only solution I've found anywhere is Set Input Mode but I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do with it, because none of the three different versions seem to make a difference.
>>
post postfolio
>>
>>180957520
honestly you can do you but
>claps as percussion
fucking triggered
>>
>>180958072
>urban feeling
Is it the drums or what gave you that impression? I figured with a clarinet it would be spooky forest music. But I mostly make hiphop beats, so it's kinda hard. I'll see how it sounds with more traditional instruments.
Thanks for the reply.
>>
>>180958539

a mix of diablo 2 and dark souls
focus on character building and experimentation
gta 4 ragdolls so player and enemies can be thrown, crushed, have limbs torn off etc if you get hit by a big dude you fucking fly the fuck away and slam into a wall and die if you had low hp for example
no classes like in diablo 2 instead you pick whatever skills and create your own absurd class

someone create this game pls. would play 24/7
>>
>>180958862
dunno, maybe is the percussion that gave some hip hop feelings.

but overall, try to make it feel more like a folk song.
>>
>>180958561
actually, I noticed the target is asking for a player controller, so I gave it my player controller

That just breaks my input without actually fixing the problem, which is that the interface and the viewport may as well be different windows as far as mouse focus is concerned.
>>
File: unreal power.png (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
unreal power.png
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>180928954
>>
File: spaghetti.png (108KB, 805x637px) Image search: [Google]
spaghetti.png
108KB, 805x637px
Time to pull the spaghetti apart
>>
>>180958484
>>180958539
post shitpostfolio, oh you already did
>>
>>180958556
>Recently got inspired to try and make my own game of some kind
very well!
>I won't go into it too much right now
nice going!
>the mechanics will be pretty traditional jrpg stuff
okay!
>Didn't want to go for rpgmaker because the engine doesn't seem very powerful.
fair enough!
>Right now I'm working on learning to use game maker.
keep it up!
>Is that a smart choice?
as smart as any!
>Would also appreciate any advice you'd give to someone with no experience in any aspect of game development but would like to try to work on a game casually on my free time.
never give up, always strive to push forward and post progress!
>>
File: ss+(2017-06-27+at+11.03.54).png (167KB, 1440x480px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2017-06-27+at+11.03.54).png
167KB, 1440x480px
>>180958561
>>180959065
Here's how I've set my pause menu. I guess you could do something similar for an inventory. No issue with on hovered as I said, it works as soon as you bring up the pause menu.

>>180959431
That's not too awful.
>>
>>180959431
>that
>spaghetti
should see some of the shit I see here (AAA company, premium spaghetti)
>>
>compiling 4433 shaders
thanks UE4!
>>
File: 1436199469836.jpg (6KB, 187x189px) Image search: [Google]
1436199469836.jpg
6KB, 187x189px
>>180959609
>true part is on the bottom and false part is on the top
We got a mad lad over here
>>
>>180959736
That's why you make material instances.
>>
>>180958717
For you:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoeJpW1yrV0
>>
File: 6-27-2017.png (49KB, 768x432px) Image search: [Google]
6-27-2017.png
49KB, 768x432px
>>180927043
----[ Recap ]----
Game: Whimp the Bold
Dev: AttaBoy
Tools: GameMaker: Studio, Aseprite
Web: https://twitter.com/AttaBoyGames, attaboydev.tumblr.com
Progress:
+ Showed my game off at a convention, met some streamers and got lots of feedback and love
+ Won a big award that came with money and social media promotion
+ Demo actually mildly stable by the end of the con, so good start for demo day
+ Super Best Friends Play mentioned it
- Every day at the con started off rocky with crashes and shit, super stressful
- Still haven't finished background art fully
- people now have expectations irl
>>
>>180959817
Game is unpaused by default, so the false part always comes first.
Your logic can't be flawed if you're the only one who deals with it.
>>
>>180957760
Why should I bother with anything if I don't know if you're a real artist or not?

If you were an artist you'd be happy to show off your work.
>>
show me the anime games
>>
>>180959609
I tried this and it doesn't fix the problem, but it does permanently break mouse input.

I'm toggling visibility of a component of my HUD widget instead of creating a new widget but I don't think that should make a difference.
>>
gotta mow tomorrow. it sucks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ed_UXT0aju4
>>
>>180960680
ah, shit, nevermind
I just realized I was branching on the output of a not expression so I had it backwards. That's what was breaking the mouse input.
I fixed that and now the widget is focused automatically, but I still need to click on the viewport to give focus back to the game before I can close the menu. It won't respond to the keyboard otherwise even though I have it set to Game and UI.
>>
File: 1494177524756.png (89KB, 261x238px) Image search: [Google]
1494177524756.png
89KB, 261x238px
>>180961072
>>
File: 2321342342.png (3KB, 203x209px) Image search: [Google]
2321342342.png
3KB, 203x209px
>>180961072
cash is gonna flow to your direction
>>
>>180959431
>mfw Unreal took the spaghetti code literally
>>
>>180961072
O boi. It's time for you to make a patreon if you don't have one already. And a tumblr.
>>
>>180961072
no matter how many times you post it, it won't become alive again, let alone become a game
>>
>>180961024
I have no idea why your game goes out of focus, but concerning the keyboard input, how did you manage it ?
I've heard that you need to use the player actor's inputs and communicate them to the widget, but I haven't tried it myself.
>>
>>180960356
>+ Won a big award that came with money and social media promotion
Nice! Keep it up.

Do you have any screenshots of other levels? I've only ever seen the forest
>>
>>180961668
I set up Tab as the open menu input in project settings, and then I used the open menu input event in the player's blueprint.

I also just realized I only lose focus of the game if I click on the inventory slots, which are buttons. If I don't click, my input works normally.
>>
>he does not have a game on steam yet
what is your excuse
http://store.steampowered.com/app/660880/b/
>>
File: Mesa.png (4KB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
Mesa.png
4KB, 320x180px
>>180961749
Thanks!
>other levels
The forest is all I have right now because I've improved and reworked my style a lot over time, all I have that's somewhat comparable is this backdrop for the Wild West world
>>
>>180961505
>>180961463
>>180961319
>>180961178
what was it?
>>
>>180962010
witch porn with no gameplay
>>
>>180962010
A webm of a 3D witch model with no gameplay
>>
>>180961964
>Psychological Horror
?
>>
>>180961964
i have a game on steam
>>
>>180962080
not you
>>
>>180962010
Slut-Witch getting fucked by 2 dildos
>>
>>180962010
gameplay of a porn witch game
>>
>>180962162
it wasn't gameplay you liar
>>
>>180961964
The trailer actually looks quite pretty
>>
>>180962010
object insertion techdemo
>>
in a porn game the sex is the gameplay. get over it.
>>
File: 1437217873392.jpg (72KB, 709x765px) Image search: [Google]
1437217873392.jpg
72KB, 709x765px
>>180961964
>look those reviews papi
>>
>>180961995
Looks promising, I like the style.
>>
>>180962209
how wasn't it gameplay?
>>
>>180961803
Nevermind, I found something on Google about Tab being bugged and when I switched it to P it worked fine.
Now I need to figure out how to unbug Tab because this is ridiculous, the post I saw was a year old and it's still bugged.
>>
>>180962430
It was just a dynamic orifice animation demo.
>>
>>180962365
there is no game, no goal, no winning and no losing
the only degree of interactivity displayed is moving a physics object, which only ever gives collision feedback and nothing else
you can't win or lose, whatever you do has no actual effect on anything
it's about as much of a game as a fidget spinner so not a game
>>
>>180962582
why wouldn't that be gameplay?
>>
>>180962385
>>180961964
and this is the reason why steam wont work being regulated by the community
>>
>>180962903
Because there was no gameplay, just an animation.

>why isn't a walkcycle gameplay
>>
>>180962903
>fidget spinner is a game because it makes my peepee go up up
>>
>>180962952
>>180963037
all webms posted here are just animations doesn't mean there is no gameplay in them
>>
more witch gameplay please
>>
>>180963203
>j-just you wait! fidget spinner HAS gameplay, it's just hidden!
>>
File: 2017-06-27_23-43-12.webm (3MB, 674x378px) Image search: [Google]
2017-06-27_23-43-12.webm
3MB, 674x378px
Implemented the item throwing. I took inspiration from how Hitman does it, though I have to change some things with the animation since right now it first rotates the player and then plays the animation, which looks pretty unnatural.
After this all that's left to add is
>items making 'sound' on impact (and stunning the guards if you hit them with a rock)
>running making sound alerting nearby guards
>guards guarding certain items during their patrol
And then the obvious goal to reach (grandma's house), gameover when caught (no sex, sorry) and the thing I dread the most, level design.
>>
>>180962938
What is your issue with the game?
>>
>>180926321
Yeah. "I won't receive a dime for this, so neither will you"

Regardless, it's very combative wording. Better to say: "Payment: none. This is entirely for practice for me, and I'm looking for someone similarly inclined."
>>
>>180963203
>well you cant prove there ISNT gameplay so there probably is you just cant see it
>>
I will fidget spin your asses if you don't shut the fuck up already.
>>
>>180963295
http://store.steampowered.com/app/657630/Fidget_Spinner/
>>
>>180963346
my issue is with the reviews calling this the mother of all games and getting 90% good reviews when almost all of these are just trolls
>>
>>180963487
>gamemaker:studio is my favorite steam game i could buy on steam
http://store.steampowered.com/app/585410/GameMaker_Studio_2_Desktop/!
>>
>>180963373
you can see the gameplay
>>
>>180963603
weird, one has a section "About This Software" and the other has a section "About This Game" instead. what could this mean?
>>
File: fidget spinner.webm (3MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
fidget spinner.webm
3MB, 640x360px
>>180963619
check out THIS cool gameplay
>>
Development of GoldenEye: Source began in 2005, led by founder Nicholas "Nickster" Bishop until his suicide by charcoal inhalation on May 24, 2006 at the age of 27. Bishop left a suicide note stating his interest in discovering the afterlife.[4]
>>
>>180960356
>Won a big award that came with money and social media promotion
woah, nice
>>
>>180963839
wtf
>>
>>180963750
steam descriptions are not accurate
>>
File: 1404827832838.gif (879KB, 245x230px) Image search: [Google]
1404827832838.gif
879KB, 245x230px
>>180963836
wait... that's a fidget spinner? What the fuck? What is this all about?
>>
Sorry for the handholding question, but I'd rather not jump through the window before figuring this out.

How can I change my controls to wasd/gamepad from point and click, in topdown UE4 template? You can just link me a tutorial for that, but for some reason googling doesn't really help.

I can only find related tutorials if you start everything from scratch, but when there are spaghetti premade blueprints everywhere, I get confused.
>>
>>180964018
just you wait, it's the best /agdg/ game to ever grace /agdg/, just wait until the dev rolls his own engine with own technology and hopoop will finally meet his match
>>
File: 1437802192853.jpg (13KB, 250x239px) Image search: [Google]
1437802192853.jpg
13KB, 250x239px
>tfw after many trials I have my tablet with fl studio mobile and FL studio on my pc
>tfw no clue what to do or how to do music
>tfw the suffering continues
>>
>>180964006
they're accurate in this casel
>>
>>180964065
>but for some reason googling doesn't really help.
Yeah because what you're asking for is stupid.
You just want 3rd person controls with a top-down camera, right? So just move the camera in the third-person template.
>>
>>180964170
ok
>>
>>180964183
No shit, but I have some work done in my topdown template and I decided I'd rather change my control scheme there.
>>
File: CUTEOP.png (980KB, 927x586px) Image search: [Google]
CUTEOP.png
980KB, 927x586px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EY9h5NJD4s8

Why doesn't your game have a cute opening cutscene on the main menu like classic JAP games agdg?
>>
>>180964341
You're telling me you couldn't find a tutorial on how to implement 3rd person movement?
Or that you knew it was as simple as 3rd person movement with an unusual camera placement, and still googled something stupid like "how to convert the top down template in ue4 to wasd?"
>>
>>180964160
Hit multiple white keys one white key apart from another.
Hit two white keys next to each other without a black key between to make a cool spooky noise.
Don't be racist and do not hit blacks.
Add drums.
Voila, you did a song in the key of C.
>>
>>180962645
winning and losing conditions are not necessary for a game
>>
>>180964562
>clockwork knight

pffffft nothing will top sonics CD's opening not even another sega game sorry anon.
>>
File: 1498595662281.jpg (8KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
1498595662281.jpg
8KB, 320x320px
are you using his superior engine?
>>
>>180964562
i'm glad bokube stopped fucking around with some dumb oppai loli pandering bullshit and put his kickstarter money to a good use
>>
>>180964580
t.gone home dev
>>
>>180964751
he's kind of right because you can't win or lose grand theft auto
when you beat the game you just see the credits then go back to fucking around
when you die you just lose money and then go back to fucking around
>>
>>180964562
I've got one planned but it's at the bottom of my priority list.
>>
>>180964018
For whatever reason all normies decided it was cool to pretend to have autism or ADD or whatever, so they all must have fidget spinners to nullify that ADD or autism or whatever.
>>
>>180964562
>3d models for eye balls and face details
>art clash
>jerky animation with literally rotating objects
>particle effects everywhere
>n64 tier lighting
>90s editing, shaders and filters

Bokudev is that your new game?
>>
>>180964936
Losing mission progress and restarting at the hospital is a losing condition.
"Losing" doesn't necessarily mean "restarting from last save".
>>
>>180965135
But when you're not on a mission you don't lose any progress.
>>
>>180965282
>lose money
>possibly lose weapons if you got caught by the cops
>lose the car you were riding, which may have been tuned or rare
quit the bullshit
>>
File: 2017-06-27-2323-46.webm (3MB, 800x500px) Image search: [Google]
2017-06-27-2323-46.webm
3MB, 800x500px
I was wondering how big my mechs actually are so I put them into a demo scene full with standard sized buildings/props.
They stick out like sore thumb but it's still kind of cool.
>>
>>180965409
Okay, so how about Garry's Mod?
>>
>>180965282
You lose money and the game resets back to default, no more wanted level or whatever. It's a pretty weak losing condition but it's one nonetheless.
>>
>>180965427
Nice
>>
>>180965478
You get encased in props against a wall
>>
>>180965427
BIG robutts
>>
>>180965427
>They stick out like sore thumb but it's still kind of cool.
It's just a matter of color choice, the scene is super grey and kinda grimey while the mechs are pristine and bright.
Kinda reminds me of EDF from that perspective.

>>180965641
hello?
>>
>>180965427
that's pretty cool
>>
>>180965478
gmod is more like one of those nodev engines like unreal or unity or gaymaker

you can make games with it, but most people just use it to fuck around

it's not a game
>>
>>180965641
That's not a distinct state, and it doesn't happen in single-player unless you're retarded.
>>
>>180966009
Fine, you get executed in a prison cell by THE LAW
>>
>>180966060
That's DarkRP, not Garry's Mod.
>>
>>180965427
They look cool as fuck, are you kidding? They don't even look out of place.
>>
>>180965923
This.
Gmod, Unity, Unreal, and Gamemaker have zero games. No one has ever made a game with them. The only true yesdev engine is Godot.
>>
>>180966348
we're the only ones who know it to be true anon, you and me
>>
>gmod is a game engine
fucking agdg I SWEAR AT GOD
>>
>>180967595
explain how it isnt an engine?
>>
is there a point on having to push a button to shoot in a game like metal slug when you're shooting all the time anyway?
>>
>>180967738
It doesn't compile games, it's just a modding platform.
>>
File: robutt.png (993KB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
robutt.png
993KB, 1680x1050px
>>180965576
>>180965793
thanks

>>180965684
THIS is a robutt

>>180965721
Yeah that might be it

>>180966202
The blurry downscaled webm kind of conceals it but when you look at it in game it's more obvious
>>
>>180965641
>>180965721
FUCKING RETARDS DELETE THIS
>>
>>180967850
you push the button for maximum damage.
>>
>>180926715

Flat color is okay by me, but keep the bg pastel and mix up the greens from tree to tree.
>>
>>180967850
perhaps things like exploding barrels would be harder to use strategically if there was no way to stop firing.
also, if there are friendly units (civilian hostages) you would want to stop shooting to rescue them or whatever.
just a couple of examples of why to have a shoot button off the top of my head
>>
>>180967850
1. ammunition conservation
2. feeling of control, there might be cases where you would not want to destroy something
3. forcing the player to mash the button ramps up the difficulty and autofire can be used as a reward for good performance
>>
>>180962582
>>180962952
do you not understand how porn games work? you mostly push the button for what kind of animation you want
if you don't consider that a game, that's sensible enough, but you should logically not consider any game focused on porn to be a game either
>>
my f5 and & key are wore off. cheap keyboard.
>>
File: 2y2MFFQ.jpg (149KB, 1875x1085px) Image search: [Google]
2y2MFFQ.jpg
149KB, 1875x1085px
>tfw getting bored by current project again
>>
>>180968276
>>180968408
so make the button suppresses fire instead? you can have a lunatic character that will always shoot whenever he has a gun and you need to push the button to make he stop, this can be canonically funny
>>
File: GivemeMyFuckingMoney.png (953KB, 1036x802px) Image search: [Google]
GivemeMyFuckingMoney.png
953KB, 1036x802px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYjgHLFZMa0

EEPROM guy is you if you were there in the 80s
>>
>>180970201
Man gaming stores for nintendo products were so black and silver back then and the gameboy accessories in the background in those colored bags surprised me. I wish I was alive back then just to see the atmposhere and look of NES/NES/gameboys in stores it actually looks comfy to me.
>>
>>180963330
You mentioned the wolf grill steals Red's hood, can we see the wolf with the hood on?
>>
>>180969284
And everytime he fires it plays the Loudest Orgasm.
>>
>>180968595
Why F5 and & keys?
>>
File: Rain Temple.webm (1MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Rain Temple.webm
1MB, 1280x720px
Trying some temple interior mood with some holes for light/rain. What do you guys think? Also mobs can now patrol and interact with me (however, encounter system is not yet ready).
>>
File: holyshit.jpg (289KB, 1012x744px) Image search: [Google]
holyshit.jpg
289KB, 1012x744px
>>180970379
Wait till you see the old Nintendo displays.
>>
>>180964571
Not him but more basic tips

In FL studio you can generate chords so you don't have to remember them by heart.

Using that, alternate between Fmaj7 and Em7 and play on white notes for the melody.
>>
>>180971143
That shit looks so cool.
>>
>>180970936
I feel like the rain droplets aren't fast enough, they look like they're dropping from the ceiling instead of the sky.
Also one of my opinions is that keeping the same angle in an isometric game is kinda boring, if you're doing 3D you should take advantage of that and change it from time to time.
>>
I feel like there was always composers, writers, and level designers around when I didn't need them, but now that I have a game that's making progress and I could use them, they're nowhere to be found.. or they charge a fuckload.
>>
>>180971548
>composers
You called? What you need homeboy?
>>
>>180971710
n-nothing
>>
new
>>180971764
>>180971764
>>180971764
>>
>>180926582
That sounds great.
>>
>>180971502
Good ideas, thanks. I'll fix the rain
>>
File: 1497829631255.png (496KB, 579x533px) Image search: [Google]
1497829631255.png
496KB, 579x533px
Hi
I know only the very very basics of programming

but I want to make a "game." A turn based RPG, with just about the same mechanics as Pokemon. I really enjoy competitive Pokemon but there is a lot of shit in it that I think could be fixed to make it overall more fun. I want to make my own version of that, think like the Project M but for Pokemon.

I can't imagine it would be too difficult. Its just a simple turn-based game with 5 stats. I think if I actually put in the effort I could learn how to do it. I'm just not sure where to start. What would be the best way to go about making this?

Alternatively, if there is a way to do it with gamemaker or RPGmaker without having to spend too much time on actually programming... that would be cool.
Thread posts: 754
Thread images: 101

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.