[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Who was in the wrong?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 272
Thread images: 28

File: modifications.png (26KB, 609x359px) Image search: [Google]
modifications.png
26KB, 609x359px
Who was in the wrong?
>>
Gabe "i started valve because microsoft was too much focussed on money"" jewell
>>
File: 1442069905879.jpg (678KB, 3192x2124px) Image search: [Google]
1442069905879.jpg
678KB, 3192x2124px
>>389025693
You, for creating this thread.
>>
File: 1403211399705.jpg (44KB, 590x500px) Image search: [Google]
1403211399705.jpg
44KB, 590x500px
Paying modders to make mods doesn't encourage them to make more and better mods?
>>
>>389025693
You for visiting plebbit.
>>
>>389025898
Things driven solely by money will always be worse than those driven by passion. Paid mods changes the relationship where modding becomes work, thereby shittier. Why do you think most modern DLC is trash?
>>
>>389025898

No, you see, i'm an expert at mod making, mods should always be free. I know because I made a couple of maps with Doombuilder once. Why would you want to be paid for a free hobby?
>>
the only good game valve has made us half life
CS 1.6 is OK too I guess
>>
>>389025898
Before, all mods where made by people that just wanted to make them. Now, money hungry faggots are gonna pump out heaps of shit to get money.
>>
>>389025898
I don't know, does paying workers automatically mean that they'll work harder?
>>
>>389026067
Or I could hire someone to do it quicker and better, that's how that works
>>
>>389026037

everything valuable created by humans is driven by money or some other end

the people who built and designed buildings like the Sistine Chapel or the Hagia Sophia or your average geometric mosque in arab land are driven by money. Do you get up for work because you like it? No, you do it to get paid so you can pay the bills and induldge in luxuries.
>>
>>389025693
>>389025898
Gabe and Valve were wrong. Their idea of paid mods hasn't took off.
>>
>>389025898
Do the Beats sound better than the ATH-M50X for $200 extra?
>>
>>389025693
why the fuck is "fucking" blurred out?
>>
>>389026212
>Do you get up for work because you like it? No, you do it to get paid so you can pay the bills and induldge in luxuries.

there are plenty of people who go to work because they like it, for instance those who would otherwise be retired. not working makes people depressed.
>>
>>389026097
No HL and expecially HL2 were ALWAYS overrated.
>>
>>389026359
Because it's inappropriate and I'm at work.
>>
>>389026212
Key phrase there is "solely by money." You can easily have someone do work that is their passion, but realisticly, but for as many Sisitine Chapels or Hagia Sophias you receive, you'll get 5-6 times as many half-assed buidlings made by some schmuck just trying to get a paycheck. Paid mods opens the windows for mod fags who will do the absolute bare minimum to get dosh
>>
File: 1488405592933.png (47KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
1488405592933.png
47KB, 200x200px
>>389025898
Mods are an expression of passion. You make them because you like the game and want to play it in your specific way. When you introduce money mods are instead made for cash instead of passion and their contents are dictated by what the most mouthbreathers want and would be willing to pay for rather than what the modder wants. It also incentivises devs to be even lazier than they already are because they can then make money off the community that fixes their games.
>>
>>389025693
>Editing out naughty swear words from screenshots
Fucking why?
>>
>>389025693
Funny because Valve coming into a shit load of money sure made them make a lot less games.
>>
>>389026574
>It also incentivises devs to be even lazier than they already are because they can then make money off the community that fixes their games.

actually the problem is worse than just being lazy. its a moral hazard. their incentive is to leave it broken and profit from the fix.
>>
I don't want Creation Club to just fail -- that's not enough. I really hope as time goes by it turns into an enormous shitshow full of busy threads oozing with OC on /v/
>>
>>389026212
>Do you get up for work because you like it?
Yes
>>
The point Gabe misses is that money steering work is the whole problem. Oh wow, we'll maybe have slightly better mods? Meanwhile Bethesda base games will get even worse because they get to nickle and dime basic content and have a monetary incentive to half-ass and get extra money from fixes.
>>
>>389025898
It actually doesn't.

If you want to see what actually happens, go look at second life.

Basically: Millions of sex mods, mods that lock you into a mod-ecosystem, and mod-packs that sell you the mod but in different colors or textures.

So imagine 300 mods that are all Ratgar's Deluxe Sword Pack - Pastel, Pink, Red, Purple, Electric, ..., and so on. It's all just one sword in different colors 300 times in the marketplace. If you want his sword in electric, you buy that. Want it in red, buy it again.

For the mod-ecosystem, you'll be seeing things like, can't use x-body-mod with y-clothing-mod because x-creator refuses to share their model's topology with y-creator, so clothing you buy from the mod store only works with specific body mods. Then people will also sell Ripped FancyPants for x-bodymod and y-bodymod as two separate products.

Anyone who thinks paid mods will be good is a delusional retard or a corporate shill. It's going to fucking obliterate the modding community and turn everything into consumerist garbage instead of hobbyist art.
>>
>>389026586
I didn't edit it, I have an addon that does it.

I believe if you filter out uncouthness then you will be more creative and less needlessly offensive when forming your opinions.
>>
>>389025898
I get paid at my work but it doesn't inspire me to do a better job.
>>
>>389026135
It means you will hire better workers.
>>
>>389026743
lol
>>
>>389026212
That's what he said - mods are not work, so they're done precisely because someone would like to.
>No, you do it to get paid so you can pay the bills and induldge in luxuries.
Not everyone is a brainlet poorfag, they can indulge in luxuries without thinking about getting more money 24/7
>>
>>389026067
Because going off what happened during the first attempt, once money gets involved you'll likely want to make only easy 1-day skins and cheats for quick money.

So you too can experience the thrill of Judaism and the lowering of human standards. :D
>>
>>389026603
Why spend money to make games when you can sit there and rake in the nostalgiabux from existing IP's, pay other people a pauper's penny to make mods for you and let you collect the majority of the revenue, force every developer to host their games on your platform and take a good dividend of their profit because they have no other choice, and be completely immune to any criticism because your decade-old fanbase rabidly defends you online by shouting things like "m-muh PC mastuh rayce" because you used to make good games?
>>
>>389026764
studies on motivation have shown that objectively measurable accomplishments at work (make x widgets in y time, extra widgets in y time earn you double) do actually motivate people to work harder.

But when your productivity is less tangible, you cannot increase motivation with incentives like this, and once you pass ~70k USD salaries, the primary reason people have for working the job is self-satisfaction and fulfillment. They're not there to work, they're there to contribute to society, improve or challenge themselves, create interesting things, and so forth. Working is no longer about surviving.
>>
File: 1.png (388KB, 620x811px) Image search: [Google]
1.png
388KB, 620x811px
>>389026212
>everything valuable created by humans is driven by money or some other end

people actually believe this
>>
>>389026212
Yes. Though I wish I could get up 1 or 2 hours later.
>>
>>389026656
Faggot
>>
>>389026780
No it doesn't. It just means you can hire people who want to make money. Right now modder does his job, then indulges in his hobby of modding. His mods are high quality because he does it because he likes to do them has the skills to make them good. In work he doesn't give a fuck about the end result, only the paycheck.
>>
>>389026565
>>389027000

that's not a problem with the idea of paid mods, it's a problem with Valve's extreme Liberteranism. Imagine if paid mods were implemented but in a gated scenario where only quality content was let through.

>>389026791
>mods are not work

You're sounding like a commie here, if I do a hobby I like, like painting or making content for a Youtube channel, I shouldn't be able to monetize off of it for extra income?
>>
>>389026743
*tips fedora*
>>
>>389027217
What could this be?
>>
>>389027230
In the given example you are not monetizing it. You are making something and then handing it off to a conglomerate to market/sell for you, and then getting a fraction of the money they make in return.

You'd have to be a fucking idiot to buy into this system in the first place

Nothing is preventing you from selling your mods right now.
>>
>>389025898
Only 50% right.

For some reason people fail to grasp the concept that more money is not equal to better work, just to more of it.

There is a correlation between the quality of a work and the amount of money involved, but the causation is with the quantity.

If you offer a higher salary for a paid position then the only thing that would happen is that more people will apply to it, increasing the % that someone that is passionate about it (the actual causation behind good quality) will land the job.
>>
>>389027230
Jesus christ America, stop being so paranoid about communism it's a good system with some tweaks - can't wait for AI overlords
No, I meant that moding is not work in a sense of "source of income". Therefore everybody who does them does so because they have fun with it.
>>
>>389027489
>it's a good system with some tweaks
Feel free to fuck off to Venezuela any time you like
>>
>>389027489
>it's a good system with some tweaks - can't wait for AI overlords
This.

Just a few tweaks here and a few tens of million of lives there and it works.
>>
>>389025693
>Who was in the wrong?

just compare que quality of the work and the mentality of the community from last year with the ones in 10 years
you'll see
>>
>>389027329
I think you meant decreasing.
>>
>>389025898
The problem is that 85% of your money is going to valve for doing no work whatsoever.
>>
>>389027587
it works when everybody is dead. communists first.
>>
>>389027587
>>389027543
The problem is that it's kind of a pyramid system. Workers need to work, so someone has to check that. But who watches the watchmen? So you add more more layers. But with an AI everybody could answer to the same person.
>>
>>389027784
Sure, maybe my grandchild's grandchild will have fun with that.
>>
>>389027784
That's not the only problem, fucktard. What motivates people under communism? Why would anyone push themselves? Why would anyone have any drive to come up with new ideas, new methods of approaching problems? If everyone gets the same shitty home, with the same shitty food, just enough to keep them alive so they can get to work every day, there's no reason for anyone to excel.
Communism is stagnation
>>
>>389027670

>for doing no work whatsoever.

except for hosting, advertising/marketing, and making downloading/installing your product accessible to wide audiences on their platform
>>
>>389027784
That's not communism that's a totalitarian technocracy. Which wouldn't work because someone had to code the AI.
>>
>>389027784
Can you extrapolate on your utopia? I would like to know what makes you think an AI will make better decisions than a human.
>>
>>389025693
He could be talking about crowdfunding
But in the case of mods, they can be steered but not in the obvious sense, people create whatever mods they like or find useful, theres no external influence there, but those who get a lot of donations and stuff are usually developed further and deepened, it serves as an incentive to the modder himself thus 'steering' work towards said mod.
>>
>alt-right /pol/ faggots now infect every single board and come crawling out of the woodwork whenever someone mentions that maybe capitalism has a problem or maybe communism wouldn't be so bad
>>
>>389028062
Maybe those discussions would be better done on some sort of political board instead of the one about VIDEO GAMES.
>>
>>389028062
>maybe communism wouldn't be so bad
And lefty-pol are the same. Maybe everyone go back to wherever they came from?
>>
>>389028062
>you have to be an alt-right faggot to recognize that communism is a fucking plague
Capitalism has it's flaws, especially when corporatism starts to take hold, but I'd take it any fucking day over the week over communism
>>
>>389028062
You people made me do this. I just wanted to play video games.
>>
File: 1475956447300.gif (1MB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
1475956447300.gif
1MB, 480x270px
>>389026121
this desu. We'll see the introduction of "Free" mods that intentionally have content cut from them to be sold complete in the "Paid" version. Or, even worse, we'll see mods that you have to pay to get version updates.

Plus, people don't know if certain mods will be compatible with other mods, so it's entirely possible to get in a situation where you paid for a mod that doesn't work with your existing mod set. And if you paid for those other mods as well, then you're just fucked.

Not to mention, if paid mods gets introduced again, what's stopping modders from taking their existing mods off the market and re-selling them for real money? That's what happened last time Steam tried this shit, and it went about as well as you'd expect.

The slippery slope aspect of this is fucking real.
>>
>>389027607
No, i meant increase, a higher salary will attract more people. That includes more people that are passionate about it.

My point is that money does help improve your chances of getting better people, but it still doesnt 100% guarantee you will find them and its not a requirement either. Therefore having mods be free reduces the quantity of the mods but increase their quality.

Its the same thing that happened to "flash games", when smartphones became a thing the number of "browser like" game increased exponentially, the app sort was flooded with hundreds of new games every month. They were all trash though, inferior in every way to the games we had for free during newgrounds golden era.
>>
File: theodore-roosevelt-9463424-1-402.jpg (120KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
theodore-roosevelt-9463424-1-402.jpg
120KB, 1200x1200px
Relax guys, we don't need communism. We just gotta bring back that badass motherfucker, he'll put the corporations back in their place.
>>
What's the difference between paid mods and (third-party) DLC?
>>
>>389028292
Newgrounds and flash games in general were 99% trash and 1% playable. Don't pretend for a second that good games were the norm.
>>
File: Anime being subbed by pol.webm (2MB, 852x480px) Image search: [Google]
Anime being subbed by pol.webm
2MB, 852x480px
>>389028062
>>
>>389027784
No, the problem with communism is that it redistributes wealth "equally".

Maybe you haven't been paying attention the past few years, but if you have you might've noticed how unfairly and unequally the proponents of "equality" actually behave and act.

What actually ends up happening under communism is the powerful and wealthy get their useful idiots to set up a system that funnels everyone's wealth into the hands of the rich and wealthy. Yes, a large percentage of the rich and wealthy lose and either flee or die, but a select few control the whole thing.

So this money funnels into their pockets, and then gets "redistributed" to their loyalists - not equally, but in ways that expands the power and influence of the already rich and affluent.

This is always followed up by some kind of pogrom to eliminate the useful idiots who've served their purpose. Then comes re-education camps, political prison systems, secret "police" and suicide vans... and voila. You've got a fully functioning communist utopia that is "not communism" because they followed communism every step of the way, but it somehow magically turned into a fucking dystopia that resulted in the deaths of millions like it always fucking does.

Communism is a method of creating a totalitarian state. Nothing more or less.
>>
>>389027929
Maybe it was coded by another AI, and who cares who coded that other AI.
>>
File: TRUMP_CNN.webm (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
TRUMP_CNN.webm
3MB, 1280x720px
>>389028309
didn't you hear? He was reincarnated.

>pic related
>>
File: mem.jpg (53KB, 540x405px) Image search: [Google]
mem.jpg
53KB, 540x405px
>>389025693
I don't get why people get so mad about this, he's right you know.
>>
>>389025898
No it encourages them to make mods that more people will pay for rather than the best quality mod that they themselves want to make.
>>
>>389027920
>That's not the only problem, fucktard. What motivates people under communism?
The fact that they don't get food or other things nedded in a modern life.
>Why would anyone push themselves?
Why do you want them to? Right now civilized countries overproduce everything.
>Why would anyone have any drive to come up with new ideas, new methods of approaching problems?
Because they would gain benefits from it or because they just want to eg. solve a problem they themselves have.
If everyone gets the same shitty home, with the same shitty food, just enough to keep them alive so they can get to work every day, there's no reason for anyone to excel.
That's why they get a regular house/food? Oh, and don't kid yourself majority of people eat the same food in capitalist countries too.
>Communism is stagnation
Sure.
>>
>>389028336
In my experience, third-party DLC is usually curated in conjunction with the dev team of the game in question. They make sure that the mod is compatible with the game and doesn't affect any saves, progress, etc. You don't get that guarantee with paid (or free) mods necessarily.

Bethesda tried to provide that guarantee through their Content Club or whatever it's called. I see the distinction they were trying to make, and it makes sense in theory. However, in practice it's just a bunch of skins and armor remodels you could already get better versions of in free mods.
>>
>>389025693
>fat jew can't comprehend anyone not being a fat jew
what a fucking surprise
don't buy valve games
don't use steam (I know it's hard)
>>
>>389028474
>why would you want anyone to push themselves towards improving human life or understanding the universe better
well golly why don't we all just go back to mud huts and dying at the ripe old age of 40 while we're at it anon?
>>
>>389028474
>Oh, and don't kid yourself majority of people eat the same food in capitalist countries too.
I sure as fuck don't eat the avocado weed toast you do.

You probably haven't touched my protein powder either, leftists don't lift.
>>
Wow look at all these communists who don't believe in the free market. I bet 70% of you voted for Trump (or wanted to if you weren't underaged)
>>
>>389025898
>Paying modders to make mods doesn't encourage them to make more and better mods?

Its more complex than that isn't it. If you add money to the equation then passion projects and little things that people just want to add never happen.

Once compensation is expected before the idea it taints the very reason for the idea existing at all.

This isn't always the case but it is usually what happens as its no longer about someone creating something to share with the world but to put food on their table.
This will intrinsically alter their relation to their creation.
>>
>>389028340
Thats a hyperbole, while its true that a lot of flashgames were shit, its expected since new devs had to start somewhere. You would have to compare those games to the shitty ones in the app store and i bet you the newgroudns era games would still be less shitty.

overall the games were better than the mobile games of today, thats all im saying
>>
Friendly reminder that gabe said in february modders needs to be paid, he is going to come soon with all the damage control he gather from his valve "psychologist" so he can buttfuck the community once again.
>>
>>389027982
I'm not saying it can, I'm saying that if it could then everybody whos job was "management" can be replaced by it and since communism is a giant management pyramid the majority of people can be moved to the positions where actual work is done.
>>
>>389028581
>communist
>voting for Trump

choose 1
>>
>>389028062
The absolute state of children these days.
>>
>>389028474
>If everyone gets the same shitty home, with the same shitty food, just enough to keep them alive so they can get to work every day, there's no reason for anyone to excel.
Fucking exactly? Why would you WANT a society where no one excels? Are you fucking dense?
>>
>>389028062

i'm in favor of an economics system where people can make money off of their hobbies but their are also tax-paid healthcare/dental and welfare for people who are distraught, especially veterans or people who have long work experiences
>>
>>389028710
I'm probably older than you. Maybe try actually going to college and getting an education and you might be a bit more open minded, and not just accept everything your capitalist masters tell you to.
>>
>>389028703
I didn't say people who voted for Trump were smart or understood politics
>>
>>389028757
I went to university, but it was a real degree, not some marxist brainwashing from a jewish professor.
>>
>>389028720
Why do you want a society where people excel, when inevitably those people aren't you? Do you think maybe you'll be a billionaire too one day? I somehow doubt you will.
>>
>>389028757

This post is just sad.
>>
>>389028062
>communism wouldn't be so bad
but communism was terrible anon, why would it be good now?
>>
>>389028757
How much did you pay for your gender studies lectures anon?
>>
>>389028757
>don't just suck down that capitalist propaganda
>you see, I went to university where I sucked down COMMUNIST propaganda instead
>I am a superior being
>>
>all those people ITT unironically calling people who want to make free mods "communists"

Wanna know a fun fact? The sole reason why every single game in existence isn't pirated to death is because the government actively interferes in the market through copyright and "intellectual property" rights to enforce capital collection from you towards the software creator. It's as stupid to call that a free market as calling someone a communist for publishing his mod for free is. And lastly, do you think that all those mods would survive without those IP laws? They'd all get pirated en masse, unless the state intervenes and enforces their laws, in which case you're not supporting a free market economy - you're supporting state capitalism. The entire IT sector is technically state capitalism.
>>
>>389028789
So you're another one of those types who think a degree in anything but hard STEM is brainwashing. Gotcha.
>jewish
Also, seems I was right. You're basically admitting to being an alt-righter.
>>
>>389028367
An AI has no need for wealth other than means to sustain itself tho, so the "ruling class" won't hoard wealth
>>
>>389028829
because it affects my video games

i don't care about schools or healthcare but MUH VIDEO GAMES
>>
>>389028889
Tell me your professor's name.
You know I'm right.
>>
File: Fullview_emperor-horus.jpg (17KB, 250x183px) Image search: [Google]
Fullview_emperor-horus.jpg
17KB, 250x183px
>>389025693

This is the Horus Heresy of vidya.
>>
>>389028812
>Do you think maybe you'll be a billionaire too one day?
Not at all. But it literally doesn't matter if I'm not a billionaire. Because even with my lower middle class earnings, I am able to enjoy the benefits of others excelling. I have a fucking tiny computer that fits into my pocket that is exponentially more powerful than the computers we used to send a man to the fucking moon. I'm able to have a retarded argument with a communist moron on the internet on a piece of hardware capable of playing video games at resolutions undreamed of only ten years ago
>>
>>389028757
you only go communist when you dont know how the system works or how to make it into your advantage, probably why high iq people are considered sociopaths

face reality everybody isnt equal and will never be no amount of revolutions will change that all that, you only make the cycle a new where you need constant regime changes for socialism and communism to even work, they only work on paper since they dont account for human nature
>>
File: 3423423424.png (46KB, 532x557px) Image search: [Google]
3423423424.png
46KB, 532x557px
>>389025898
I had about 25 mods running when I played Oblivion, many of which were huge packs of stuff. Lets now assume that pricing is like now on the CC and a new armour costs like 5€ as a baseline. Care to guess how much I would have had to pay for all those mods? Likely in the hundreds if not thousands of €. The modding scene has worked perfectly on goodwill and passion for all these years, and we haven't had to pay hundreds of dollars to mod our games. Now these fucking Jews come in and try to monetize it, pushing modders to do so (because if it's easy and convenient, most people would). They also make it harder for non-monetized CC mods, since you can rest assured there will be a lot more mod-breaking updates in the future now that CC is out.

Also all you faggots arguing that the issue is Bethesda's cut, lack of support, or whatever the fuck: You will lose. If you accept the "MUH FREE MARKET CAPITALISM" axiom, you will lose all arguments about this. You need to reject that notion for the modding community, this isn't a fucking nation or real-world community so the retarded accusations like "UR JUST A COMMIE" don't fucking apply since the basic rules of existence of this community are vastly different, you don't have to push cancerous hyper monetization into this, and you don't have to be afraid of faggots calling you a commie. This isn't a country in the real world, capitalism isn't a must, either you reject it or you might as well accept paid mods already.

Trying to push real-world society-based ideologies like capitalism and communism into the discussion of an online community is just a massive fallacy these fuckers use.
>>
File: P6XduSJ.gif (133KB, 311x366px) Image search: [Google]
P6XduSJ.gif
133KB, 311x366px
>>389028812
sure, statistically you probably won't become a billionaire. However if you work hard and use the resources you have available to you, there's a pretty good chance you'll have a better quality of life than your parents had, and will be able to provide your family a better life than you had. And that's the real dream at the end of the day.

You don't get the opportunity to have that upward mobility in a communist society. Everything is banal and meaningless. Why put any work in when the person next to you can do half the work and receive the same benefit? You kill motivation and ambition among your population, which is a recipe for disaster.

I can't believe we still have to explain to people why communism will never work...
>>
The point is to phase out free, voluntary modding. Eventually you won't be able to release mods for a game unless you do it through closed, monetised platforms. That's why this exists, to bring modding under corporate umbrella, away from independent community sites.
>>
>>389028869
Free market doesn't mean laws don't exist you fucking retard.

Society in a free market ensures property rights, including iintellectual property. You could say, oh the only reason the real estate market exist is because cops and cities enforce property rights, otherwise what would stop people from claiming my house and my land. Fucking nine year old.
>>
>>389026743
nigger
>>
>>389028548
Research can be done without people pushing themselves. Especially now when it's either throwing shit at a wall and seeing what sticks or designing something, which is done better by computers.
>>
File: 1502639106618.png (499KB, 1027x720px) Image search: [Google]
1502639106618.png
499KB, 1027x720px
>mfw college marxists make their dreams come true and they suffer the consequences of their brainwashing and stupidity
It will be the comfiest day of my life.
>>
>>389029103
it wont actually be them its their children and grandchildren
>>
>>389029103
College marxists will turn my country communist over my dead fucking body, so I won't be able to enjoy seeing them fuck themselves over
>>
>>389029103
don't worry, the marxist in this thread only care about free video games and movies

not about stuff that really matter
>>
>>389028062
It's almost as if politics leaks into all other aspects of life
>>
>>389025898
>paying
wrong way to look at it. valve wants to the scene to allow people to profit but the "community" wants a common ownership. if you allow the modding scene to have a marketplace then you create more competitors into the scene driving competition. more competition benefits the customer.
>>
>>389029056
he might be referring to a laissez faire system, but most societies don't have that system for that exact reason. You need some framework and laws in place for a marketplace, otherwise what's stopping people from just stealing the shit that people are creating?
>>
>>389029065
naw I doubt it some of the most lowest probably shit happens in real life that even computers cant predict
>>
>>389028869
teenage tire understanding of regulations and economics
>>
>>389028549
You're right, I didn't, but a lot of people who eat it did, stop kidding yourself with the illusion of choice or even uniqueness in a market where everything is mass produced.
>>
>>389029103
The revolutionaries never have to suffer the consequences because they rig the system to break only after they're dead.
>>
File: 1377545249398.gif (299KB, 200x149px) Image search: [Google]
1377545249398.gif
299KB, 200x149px
>Another thread devolves into /pol/ false flagging and namecalling for no reason
Thanks for keeping this boards discussion in such high quality. Not like this happens literally every thread that goes on for longer than 50 posts these days.
>>
>>389029065
Why would it?
>>
File: 1263235915132.gif (1MB, 270x180px) Image search: [Google]
1263235915132.gif
1MB, 270x180px
>mfw looking back and remembering all the "based gaben" and other valve cocksucking of the past

It's hilarious in hindsight.
>>
File: 1497124327715.png (148KB, 371x353px) Image search: [Google]
1497124327715.png
148KB, 371x353px
>>389029259
Gabe is a fat useless cunt; there's not much to discuss.
>>
>>389029259
Maybe /v/ isn't a place for you anymore.
>>
>>389025754
you either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself to become a villain
>>
>>389029303
>all those copypastas about gabe announcing HL3
>>
File: wblnll.jpg (8KB, 218x218px) Image search: [Google]
wblnll.jpg
8KB, 218x218px
Serious question:

Do you think we'll have free mods in 10 years? I just have a feeling that they're going to gradually chip and chip away at the mod situation until they gain some ground, then have all the (((journalism))) sites tout how great it is and gradually turn public opinion towards paid mods.
I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think I am.
>>
>>389025693
the bearded kike of course.
>>
>>389026121
First, I should mention that I don't game on my PC outside of emulation so mods are largely irrelevant to me. However, I do agree that, with the introduction of paid mods, we will see an increase in shovelware, so to speak. However, I also firmly believe in capitalism and do believe that teams of individuals who develop quality content deserve to reimbursed for their time invested. Perhaps a shareware model is in order. Or strict quality control from the storefront. For instance, perhaps a mod team needs to prove themselves via "freeware" before they're able to sell the mods via the storefront.
>>
>>389028891
Humans will never allow an AI to control them you naive moron.
>>
>>389026359
blue board
>>
>>389025898
>more
absolutely
>better
nah
go to /mu/ and ask for bands/artists that they think were better when they were unknown and didn't get much money for making music
>>
>>389026212
>everything valuable created by humans is driven by money or some other end
Linux - not valuable
ScummVM - not valuable

go fuck yourself, kike
>>
I'm all for paid mods.

But how about we give 100% of the money to the people developing the mods?

*muffled oy vey in the distance*
>>
>>389029369
no you are right.
Free mods will be a thing of the past.
>>
>>389025898
It can also cause a lot of people to make extremely simple mods that gullible people will buy just to make a quick buck. People will stay away from mods like Tamriel Rebuilt and Black Mesa, because passion project that take that long won't be profitable.
>>
>>389029403
The AI just needs guns, lots of guns. Robots with guns.
>>
>>389029429
that makes sense. I'm glad there are helpful people like you on this sub
>>
>>389029369
yes, some people will release mods for free. you can sell nudemods legally since the company would have a pr shitstorm
>>
>>389029370
>Why should I not be able to make paid mods and be able to profit off of it if I can with almost any other hobby?
Go ahead, but people will push you away for it. I think I can speak for most people considering the outrage: Your kind isn't welcome.

Guess what, the same freedom that allows you to monetize your mods allows us to tell you: fuck off, and get out.
>>
Gabe "We used to make good games now we make good money" Jewell
>>
>>389028703
>>idiot without much of a brain
>>voting for Trump
>choose 1
fixed that for you
>>
>>389026037
Underage detected.
>>
>>389029056
Free market means the market evolving its own independent way to stop piracy, you fucking retard. Having the state send their police force against me because I assembled a certain array of 1s and 0s on my HDD without an official permit (again issued by the state) is not free market. There is no such thing as "intellectual rights", they're an absolutely arbitrary concept that partitions my own property (hard disk) into areas that are not owned by me even if I paid for it and am actively paying for the maintenance. Yes, it's officially accepted, but that doesn't mean that its either moral or logical at all. Another not logical thing is me being denied the ability to share those 1s and 0s with a friend without hurting ANYONE in the process, and that act is actually illegal for both parties. If you support this in any way you're fucking retarded and/or underage

>>389029223
I'm not referring to laissez faire, I'm referring to regular free market society. You buy a house, it's yours. You buy a HDD, it's not yours. It's not yours because its easier for the state to force you to pay out the money which they can then tax.

>>389029370
>comparing transferring information for free without directly hurting anyone to stealing physical goods

I, too, remember when I was 12
>>
>>389029472
sure thing goy, 100%* of the money will go to the mod devs!

* only applicable for US purchases.
Excluding (AK, LA, MO, HI, VA, CA, TX,
NY) 100% of purchase goes to mods up to 2 weeks after release. 50% of purchase goes to mods from 2-4 weeks after release. 10% of purchase goes to mods after 4 weeks.
>>
>>389028062
maybe this time it will work and not cause millions of dead people and a tiny rich elite

Definition of insanity:
Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results

>Maybe this time Clinton won't be a lying witch
>>
>>389029458

The work experience that the creator of Linux got from making his operating system, which has allowed him to make trips around the world and get a job that has allowed him to make 150 million dollars, was enough incentive to work on Linux.

He isn't some guy in his basement working on an operating system
>>
>>389025898
Your looking at it like Gabe looked at it, like an accountant that just came upon the Skyrim modding community.

The fact is, the mods were generated completely free of charge and people would donate if they wanted to. Valve coming in doesn't actually benefit this mod community other than extracting a fee for themselves. The modders were already plenty motivated to make content.
>>
>>389025693
>hobbies don't exist
>>
>>389026743
Nigger nigger ROODYPOO
>>
The whole paid mods scheme is like the free publicity shit kikes offer up and coming artists.

I'm sure there's some clause in the contract you have to sign to sell your mods that they own the entirety of the mod you created and they can do whatever they want with it.
>>
>>389029065
Except no one will do that research because very few people would take all the years and years out of their time, work overhours studying, to actually be a capable researcher. Not if they end up in the same shitty shack with the same shitty food as everyone else.

Communism ignores human nature, and will always fail. The only way it could possibly work is if work becomes obsolte, which I doubt will ever happen
>>
>>389029661
>free market means the market evolving its own independent way to stop piracy
Wow you are a fucking idiot. What's the difference between sending the police in, if someone stole your house worth 1 mil or if someone stole the code you make you make a game valued at 1 mil. Again you are retard, society exist to protect property rights and market rights.

If I sell my apple or a promise of an apple, even in the most lasse faire society, the form of government will protect my ownership of said apple of promise of an apple.

Go back to school, just because it affects your VIDYA games, doesn't mean property rights over data isn't anymore important than any other rights.
>>
>>389028720
Why can' you grasp that the home or food or anything else doesn't have to be shitty. I know that in America everything public is garbage, but that because people have less power than companies, not more.
What I'm saying is that you don't have to push yourself. In today's market companies chew through people like a man with diahrrea chews through tp. We overproduce everything and we don't have enough jobs. This benefits the employer because he gets employees to do their best to keep their job, but he pays them regular wages. When they burn out just hire another one. More income and less expenses, how great! Who cares that in the long run the worker will actually have less motivation than if he didn't have to push themselves, we gat a new one waiting and he has to work to pay off the student loan!
>>
>>389029683
>He isn't some guy in his basement working on an operating system
Not anymore, and?
Yeah, it surely went
>lol, I'm working on this shit because in 20 years or so I will be able to fly around in a plane

also
nice ignoring ScummVM
The project that is highly useful to tons of games, and the devs worked on it because of their love for adventure games, kike.
>they surely also expect to fly around the world in 10 years
kek
>>
File: 1503232807179.png (361KB, 548x666px) Image search: [Google]
1503232807179.png
361KB, 548x666px
I can't wait to pay for the unofficial patch that fixes Elder Scrolls 6.
>>
>>389029661
so it's immoral to steal other peoples content? Just because the 1s and 0s are on an HDD that you own doesn't necessarily make them yours now.

>Having the state send their police force against me because I assembled a certain array of 1s and 0s on my HDD without an official permit (again issued by the state) is not free market.

"Gee officer, why are you arresting me? Those pictures of CP are just a bunch of 1s and 0s! I'm not hurting anyone, honest!"
>>
>>389025898
Well, technically, paying someone to make mods only encourages them to make mods. They only get encouraged to make better mods if you specifically pay them to make better mods.

Just look at the game industry in general. Do the greediest companies make the best games? Not really, they're more focused on squeezing out as much money as possible, selling the cheapest product they can at the highest price to the most customers. Making good products certainly plays a role, but if there's a way to make more profit by sacrificing quality, it's their incentive to take it.

To get specific, it seems like Bethesda is really focused on microtransactions. There's a reason so many devs go for that: When you pay a few bucks for something, you're less concerned about whether it was worth every penny. The higher the price, the more likely you are to compare it to the price of a full game and wonder if you're getting ripped off. So if you're a modder looking to make money through the CC, that's the kind of stuff you wanna make: Low effort micro-DLCs that stupid people are willing to throw out a few bucks for.
>>
Modders can literally just do patreons to pay for their work.
>>
>>389029843
>What I'm saying is that you don't have to push yourself
What I'm saying is that's bad. It would lead to complete societal stagnation
>>
>>389029661
>muh free market
yes
they would simply pay the mafia to come to your place and beat the shit out of you. And if you do it 3 times, they would simply shoot you.

Which actually would solve the nigger piracy.
>>
>>389028829
Yea, and uranium was an useless rock, why wouldn't it be now?
>>
>>389025898
Look at patreon and see how most "devs" bleed anyone that helps them with half-assed work that probably kicked them out of a job in the first place
>>
>>389026212
people create art so they can sell it?
>>
>>389029823
yea what does he think will happen if the free market has no laws protecting them? they'll create their own law instead. That's how you get para-military groups and corporations with their own "enforcement" groups making sure that the rules are followed.

I don't know about you, but I'd rather the person making the laws and having the guns be a government that is accountable to the people, not some corporation with no oversight
>>
File: 1478203183202.png (201KB, 322x395px) Image search: [Google]
1478203183202.png
201KB, 322x395px
The best Skyrim mods are the ones that break bethesda's shitty code.
A game studio would never sponsor something like that, therefore paid mods are already dead.
>>
>>389029284
Because it's someone's job so no research - no food
>>
>>389029369
Commoditization, commercialization, and consumerism are a goddamn cancer.
>>
>>389030169
Wow I love a system that doesn't give anyone any choices, how great
>>
>>389030095
That's another thing too.

All paid mods have to be built using the same method to prevent issues within the game. This kills creativity.
>>
>>389025898
As someone who does tinkle around with mods and stuff, yeah it does motivate me if I can get some money out of that, but I don't like the business model.
I'd rather open a Patreon account if I wanted to make money out of mods, reach a general quota and then make the content free and accessible to anyone, I find it more honest that five people pay one dollar each in order to make a hat instead of having every single person who wants that hat pay 50 cents for that hat forever, then again I am a dirty fucking socialist.
>>
>>389029843
the solution you're proposing to the problem you presented is flawed. There is no system, not communism, not capitalism, that can solve all those problems on the scale of a major country like the US.

We've all settled on the agreement that Capitalism is the best one of those systems for the scale of what we have to work with.
>>
>>389029823
>if someone stole your house worth 1 mil
>muh apples
The house and apples are not information and exist physically, and to do so they also have to hurt me directly. The code is information, doesn't exist at all and they don't even need to "extract" resources out of my possession - they just need to independently assemble the information on another hard drive and it's done - they now have their own copy which they legally own and can distribute however they want. Or wait, they don't. Even if you were to buy an ebook and manually rewrite the ebook to another document without sharing the original one, you'd still break the law because it's that fucking arbitrary

>>389029902
>Just because the 1s and 0s are on an HDD that you own doesn't necessarily make them yours now
Except that it does lmao, as long as I don't directly hurt anyone they're my own property as much as you quoting a part of my post with greentext is yours. What you're proposing is equal to me suing you over copy-pasting a third of my post, oh wait, that also exists under another form of copyright when it comes to books

>>389030003
They're harming me physically in that way. Anarcho-capitalism =/= free market. But state capitalism where you're told what information you're allowed to possess and share =/= free market either
>>
>>389029807
>he think there will be a choice if you go get higher education or not
Also, uni is a way more carefree life than having a job, so people would do it
>>
Paid mods are never gonna work.

Modern game industry is too corporate & soulless to ever allow a sizeable amount of dosh slip trough their fingers to some random guy who loves their games with heart & soul.

"How do we make these 'mods' profitable for us?", wonders the corporate CEO during the board meeting.

Truth is, their very job is to ensure that money does not take any sidestreams from the one flowing into their coffers, failure to ensure that will not please the shareholders.
Mods are a bowl of money that has been beyond the reach of gaming industry for so long, but now thanks to Steam, the act of "buying" a game has changed. When using Steam, you do not strictly own your games, in truth the correct term for "Buying" a game from steam if "Indefinite Borrowing". You pay for the right to access that game, but the form of the game is 100% dictated by Steam & Dev Company. This means that they can now enforce how you are allowed to modify your games. Modders now have their passion held hostage by a dev company that is REQUIRED to channel all available dosh into their revenue stream, in essence violating their works of passion by making them into commodities being sold for whatever price the dev company sees fit.

The very same phenomenon and thought process is plaguing modern "eSports" games, where companies like Blizzard have taken a 100% authoritarian stance on any event bigger than a back-to-school LAN party, where Overwatch is played, if there is money to be made, Blizzard reserves a LEGAL RIGHT to interfere with such event. If they allow these grassroots fan events grow large, it might shift a few copies of OW, but that is practically jackshit to them. It is more worth for them to control 100% of 5 major Overwatch "eSports" events, than control 10% of 50 major Overwatch "eSports" events, it is all about the redirecting advertisement revenue & sponsor deals into Blizzards own coffers.
>>
>>389030260
>1 and 0s don't mean anything lmao
>if my 1 and 0s transferred money from a bank account thats not mine to my own, it doesn't mean anything, its just data lmao

nine year old
>>
>>389030175
what's the alternative then? Those are all there because people like them. Most people want the hot new thing on the market, whether it be the latest fashion trend, the newest phone, the newest graphics card, the latest and greatest console, etc.
>>
>>389029403
I will. Who wants to form a techcommunism terrorist group?
>>
>>389030260
>They're harming me physically in that way.
Oh noes, sweetie

So you want to be untouchable in any way, but on the other hand want to fuck over everyone else (like game developers).
>>
>>389026743
>addon
Is it some image trained neural network?
>>
>>389029986
And thet is because? Let me guess communism bad, capitalism good, MUH motivation?
>>
>>389030260
so in your world, you could technically claim ownership of all the data in the world if you had a HDD large enough to hold it, and were able to take that data from another source and put them on your HDD, right? Whether that data be financial records, bank statements, CP, medical records, intellectual property, etc?
>>
>>389027489
>Implying AI overlords won't shit on communism and reject it.
It's already happening in China, kek.

http://nypost.com/2017/08/04/china-destroys-sassy-bots-after-they-bash-communism/
>>
>>389030512
>no one should push themselves
>except for that surgeon in the hospital
>and the nurse
>and a few other jobs
>>
>>389030227
Yea, communism bad, man
>No work no food
capitalism good
>no work no money no food
I'm a smarty too, I make the bestest choices, yay for freeedom

>implying you would make better choices than an AI would
>>
>>389030054

A lot of people end up doing that, they might not be solely motivated by it, but money is a factor for a lot of people who do anything.
>>
>>389025693

Modding in general has become awful anyway. Most modern games don't let you modify anything and if you can they won't work on servers. Games are so restrictive now, the amount of options you have is a joke when compared to something like UT2004.

Also with paid mods comes licensing agreements and you wouldn't be able to make mods inspired from other games, like for example of a Mario hat or something.

/v/ will regret their shitposting when everything is just like creation club and they will see just what monster they allowed to be created.
>>
>>389030626
>I ignored scummvm because I don't know what it is.
How the fuck did you get on 4chin?
ScummVM is various adventure game engines recreated, so that classic games work on new hardware without any problems.

Tons of developers are involved, who did and do tons of reverse engineering, reprogram the engines, fix bugs in the original games etc.

And it's a free download. And open source.
>>
>>389025898
>STILL holding optimistic viewpoints in 2017
>>
>>389030823
>they will see just what monster they allowed to be created.
>allowed
>implying a bunch of losers who lost to bunch of tumblr dykes can influence valve or bethesda to do anything
>>
>>389028062
>You need to be an alt-right /pol/fag to dislike communism
Our country used to imprison you dirty fucking reds, and we ought to go back to that.
>>
>>389025898
What encourages me to make mods is happy users
>>
>>389030727
At least in capitalism I have some say over what my fucking career is, retard. The robotic overlords didn't determine what it should be at my birth
>>
>>389030707
Oh yea, i sure want my surgeon to doze off during surgery, no, I NEED him to push himself. What do I even need those limbs for?
>>
>>389030348
That way they're stealing physical resources from me, but also harming me. I repeated about 3 times in my posts that sharing a game/mod/ebook doesn't hurt ANYONE at all. Here, have a link to a random free "pirated" ebook:
http://gen.lib.rus.ec/book/index.php?md5=D970445CA4D558E8F7F7157C0DCD7E83

0 people were hurt in the process and 0 resources were extracted from someone else's holding

>>389030467
>So you want to be untouchable in any way, but on the other hand want to fuck over everyone else (like game developers).
um try again darling, I'm not harming them physically

>>389030552
You cannot claim any ownership rights of anything in the world I'm describing because there are no ownership rights to begin with, as there are no ownership rights to speech right now. If it hurts someone in any way (illegal porn, financial data, private info or whatever) then its obviously illegal because you're harming someone else - the same is with speech, if I made a TV ad that was intended to rally a death squad to exterminate certain groups, of fucking course that I should be jailed and my freedom of speech denied. But breaking the law because I rewrote a book on another file and gave it to my buddies? No, making that illegal is equal to making me describe a movie with my own words to my buddies illegal
>>
>>389025898
You know you're right when you get the most replies in a thread.
>>
>>389030348
Information integrity != information duplication.
>>
>>389030954
>I could be enjoying my job more and earn more money, for the rest of my life but hey, at least I made one choice!
Good for you
>>
>>389031117
Free will is a pretty big deal to most people mate
>>
>>389031142
Mostly applies to White Springbreakers and people who have never had to own their own responsibility.
>>
>>389031045
>um try again darling, I'm not harming them physically
eh right
>not paying for work of others, although using their work
>not fucking over anyone

Let me guess you are a red moron?
ok then
>let's go all communism
>no one wants to be a surgeon anymore
>no one wants to develop proper games anymore
>everyone wants to do the least amount of work possible
>but still expecting to be fed etc.

oh wait and I'm sure
>no, I won't work in the fields, I will be part of the tiny elite

Better dead than red.
>>
>>389031223
>bringing race into it
Fuck off back to tumblr
>>
>>389031045
>0 people were hurt in the process and 0 resources were extracted from someone else's holding
you have the mentality and morality of a 10 year old

property laws don't exist because it prevents people from getting hurt or resources being stolen, it exist to ensure the integrity of the free market

I could sneak into an unrented house and live there without paying rent and just sleeping on the floor and not using any utilities, it doesn't matter since no one is being hurt and the unrented house is not being used anyways
>>
>>389031117
>Earning more money in a communist system

>>389031074
Not necessarily, that would also happen if you said something completely retarded

>>389030687
>Right wing bots
Anything criticising communism, or praising democracy is right wing
>>
>>389031142
Most people are idiots
>>
>>389031327
well I should say, don't JUST exist, not exist
>>
>>389027543

venezula is state capitalism
>>
>>389028062
>Politic discussion is bad unless it perfectly aligns with my beliefs
Into the gulag you go
>>
>>389025898
No, because modders making their money by fan donations/Patreon make the reasonable assumption that more and better work will always mean more downloads and more donations. This also allows for super niche mods like total overhauls that completely change the game mechanics, if the modder can drum up a strong core following like Trainwiz.

When a modder is working on a paid mod, the money they make is only decided by the people paying them. Community reaction is not part of that equation, since they likely, sign something saying they can't make money on the side from whatever mods their contractor is hosting, so lowest common denominator appeal is all they need and lowest common denominator product is all they'll rationally make.
>>
>>389031409
*was
And then it turned into socialism
>>
>>389025898
No it encourages them to put a pricetag on shit other mods depend on and see faggots flooding the market with "Anime sword package $9.99"
>>
>>389030912
Actually you're right, nobody can truly influence these companies.

Too many people play video games now, something like Creation Club can't possibly fail because plenty of people who play Fallout 4 and Skyrim on consoles will gladly buy what they consider fanmade DLC.

In the case that Creation Club fails, they will just try something similar to it in the future. Since they have complete control over your digital games and plenty of people support it, it's not really a fight.

Honestly when that Steam paid mods shit came out, Valve probably could have ignored the backlash from the loud minority and it might have done moderately well, considering even PC games include many different demographics of people. However with creation club, consoles are now in the equation, so I now see this doing really well. The only thing that might fuck it up is that you have to buy some dumb currency first, as opposed to just buying the mods directly. That will probably just add to confusion.
>>
>>389031045
>That way they're stealing physical resources from me, but also harming me
Well then we will just get the monies from your bank account.
>muh digital goods, nothing physical, so ok to steal
>muh didn't harm you physically
>muh WE WUZ NIGGA

>0 people were hurt in the process
>shit nigga, so true yeah aight
>If ai steal something, no one will get hurt
>everyone will still get their monies
>also wat's the worst they could do?
>stop considering PC as the primary platform to develop for?
>stop selling their games on physical media?
>using a Jewish always online DRM store?
>using a VM with online requirement?
>>
>>389025693
The kikes and let no one tell you otherwise.
>>
File: cancer.png (47KB, 736x1024px) Image search: [Google]
cancer.png
47KB, 736x1024px
>socialism (aka communism) works guys!!!
>>
>>389031910
>that example of communism wasn't real communism!
>>
>>389025898
>Paying modders to make mods doesn't encourage them to make more and better mods?
It would, if all the modders who made free content would get paid. But we know full well that most won't, and the ones who will get paid the most are the ones putting in porn, the ones ripping models from other games and using them, and the ones putting in ponies, while all the other good mods will get ignored.
>>
lmao never thought all these gamerkin libertarian FAGGOTS would oppose capitalism in mod-making
>>
>>389031910
Look up the Paris Commune you uneducated git.
>>
>>389026212
>the people who built and designed buildings like the Sistine Chapel or the Hagia Sophia or your average geometric mosque in arab land are driven by money.
You do realize all those people died broke right?

Artists are notoriously known for only becoming rich and famous after they die.
>>
>getting baited into thinking that free mods is communism
lol
>>
>>389031910
>Thinks socialism is the same as communism
>Calls anyone else Reddit cancer
You are one of those few people who actually deserve a one way trip to the Gulag.
>>
>>389032073
another unsuccessful socialist system

resist trump comrade

>>389032205
it is the same thing, stay mad loser
>>
>>389032112
>Artists are notoriously known for only becoming rich and famous after they die.
No, there are some artists who become famous after they die.

There are always plenty of artists who are rich and famous during their life time.
>>
File: sic8d7v9d0.png (711KB, 640x929px) Image search: [Google]
sic8d7v9d0.png
711KB, 640x929px
FUCK paid mods!!!
>>
There's only one group of people to blame and its gamers.

Complain all you want about early access shit, but somehow PUBG is the most played and extremely successful.
Complain about DLC some years ago yet every thread nintendo fans brag about the DLC they are downloading and DLC somehow is more profitable than ever
Complain about casualization yet the most profitable games nowadays are mobile p2w garbage.
Pirate every game you buy and justify it with your shit excuses
Complain about MOBAs
Complain about Overwatch
Complain about SJW shit
Yet keep buying and keep getting more popular

Are companies forcing you gamers to buy this shit? No?

And yet somehow Gamers have this sense that some Gaming Council will descend and save them from this madness they created for themselves. Then they have the gall to blame companies for forcing them to accept their rules and not switching away from Steam or not buying Fallout.
>>
>>389032292
well the SJW shit is largely a failure in most cases (battleborn, lawbreakers, ME:A) so that's a big plus
>>
>>389025898
>5 little cosmetic mods they can sell for 2 dollars
or
>1 huge mod they can sell for 10 dollars
i wonder what takes longer
>>
>>389031258
>>not paying for work of others, although using their work
There's the root of the problem - they weren't supposed to get paid in the first place. You can't "copy" a car or a PC into your house because you'd need to physically break into a dealership/shop and steal physical resources (probably directly harming people on the way as well), violating core rights of the holder of it. But most importantly, you can't copy-paste a car into multiplies of itself and if you could the price would drastically drop due to over-oversupply, yet that doesn't apply to software and the entire supply/demand rule is broken for it since you can replicate it infinite times but still demand the same exact price. And the reason you can demand the exact same price is because the state with its entire army is standing behind you, much like an empire is standing behind their vassals when they need to levy additional taxes from the population - it's good for both the empire that taxes the vassals, and the vassals themselves. When you pay for a software you don't pay because it's unique and hardly obtainable otherwise (like the car or PC), you pay a dictated price for an infinite supply of a product that is enforced by the state - you're literally taxing yourself, and in the end, you don't even possess the product.

I'm all for monetizing every single thing that can be monetized but not when my individual rights start eroding in the process at the benefit of corporations. Also it's cute to call me a laissez faire supporter when it fits you but then revert to its polar opposite when it stops fitting you

>>389031327
>adhomming me with the same thing for a fourth time
lol calm down laddo you seem quite upset by what I post, personal insults are a great sign of projection of insecurities. Maybe you're perceiving your own "arguments" as that of a 10 year old, and I can't blame you for that
>>
>>389030727
>Muh AI
You sound like a retard who doesn't know jack shit about AI/Machine Learning. We're not that close to Strong AI.
>>
>>389025898

No.

UT2k4 era mods were full games, completely different modes, impressive skins and a shit ton more of customization

Current mods don't really hold a candle to them, mostly people who change textures and colors.
>>
>>389026212
>or some other end
Good job dismissing your own point
>>
>>389032415
>lol calm down laddo you seem quite upset by what I post, personal insults are a great sign of projection of insecurities. Maybe you're perceiving your own "arguments" as that of a 10 year old, and I can't blame you for that
I hope you are being ironic, you really are stupid
>>
>>389032547
>another adhom

lmao
>>
File: GIMP = Green Is My Pepper.png (301KB, 592x1836px) Image search: [Google]
GIMP = Green Is My Pepper.png
301KB, 592x1836px
>>389026212
>what is free software
With the exception of Photoshop, free software has been better than proprietary software every time in my experience.
>>
>>389032569
>calls out adhoms while dispensing adhoms
I'm not laughing cause I'm genuinely concerned for your mental well being kiddo and its not nice to laugh at retards
>>
>>389032619
>still adhomming
>now also trying to gaslight

damn dude I didn't know I upset you this much, sorry
>>
>>389026037
Sure monetary compensation doesn't create passion, but passion can be nurtured by monetary compensation. If someone passionate is getting payed for his work then maybe he can quit his current job and continue to concentrate on modding.
>>
>>389032738
>ignores his own adhom and calls out other for pointing out his retardation
>is passive aggressive on a chinese cartoon forum
>doesn't understand basic economic principles
either go to school or find some way to be ironically funny when you spew your idiotic nonsense, its just very sad
>>
It's hard for /v/ to answer this because most of /v/ has never had a job. They don't understand what it's like to force yourself to do something you hate because you need money. The quality and passion is not there when you are doing a job.
Also,
>reddit screenshot
>>
>>389032984
Nice projecting
Not everyone has to work at walmart or a wageslave job.
But I suppose if you had cancer you'd rather go to volunteer medics cause they have passion than a hospital cause the people there are just doing a job for money
>>
>>389033087
I'm an engineer.
>>
>>389032616
>free software has been better than proprietary software every time in my experience.
As an enthusiastic user of free software like LMMS, it's indeed often much better than proprietary software but it has too many "disadvantages" compared to proprietary software for the average joe, so it's unsurprising they get shat on by the majority of people.
Free Software is the way to go, but the world as a whole needs to change if we want to adopt that kind of mentality, we need better education in general in all kinds of fields and more civic sense for free software to be truly relevant.
>>
>>389033149
so would you rather go to volunteer medics than a hospital cause they lack quality and passion?
>>
>>389025693
You for going to reddit

fuck off
>>
>>389033260
No. Becoming g a doctor takes hard work and dedication. The education they have to go through is a filter that leaves behind only the qualified and passionate already.
>>
>>389026135
Actually yes. It's why now they give you money and then take it back instead of simply giving you food and clothes.
>>
>>389025898
In the normal world yes, but videogame players basically love being scammed and used.
>>
>>389028829
>if they wanted it to work, they shouldn't have let us systematically destroy their society!
>>
>>389025754
and he did. then he got rich. then he realized he could stay rich and never do real work again.

that's just too tempting to pass up for some...
>>
>>389032292
This is why everything is shit. You will always have a majority of people who are either too stupid to know better or too lazy to care. It's the reason why democracy in practice is shit and why we should honestly just adopt meritocratic oligarchism
>>
>>389026652
It's pretty funny, but it's already successful.
>>
>>389033185
Or you know, freetards could always just stop expecting everyone to know intermediate Python in order to use their stuff.
>>
>>389025898
Welcome to the realization that people are only against it because they're cheapskates not because it's bad for the modders.
>>
Wasn't making your mod paid optional anyways? Pretty sure no modder was sad because they were getting paid for their work.
Only problem I had with it was Valve taking 50% desu.
>>
>>389035516
valve were taking 25%
bethesda was taking 50
>>
>>389035640
Well, wow. Why the fuck did everyone went on Valve then?
>>
>>389035750
because the whole thing was valve's idea
>>
File: 1446019744106.jpg (190KB, 1124x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1446019744106.jpg
190KB, 1124x1024px
Mods should be free, for everyone to enjoy.
Modders should also be paid for their work.
There is no reason why these two things can't work together.
>>
>>389025898
Mostly it encourages them to make shitty asset flips.
>>
File: 1504186087792.png (73KB, 182x263px) Image search: [Google]
1504186087792.png
73KB, 182x263px
>>389035097
>keep people in limbo for 10 years
>not a pip of real info until the writer left and had to post a "fanfic" of the ending
>still no info from the company
>turn into a money-printing assholes with a virtual shop
>kill off one of most legendary franchises as a result

I really wish now that Steam suffers some catastrophic failure that forces the fat fuck to making video games again.
>>
>>389026212
I guess people that made Nehrim or Gates of Aesgaard were driven by money too, lmao.
>>
>>389031910
It worked for modders for ten years until your kind showed up and shat all over it.
>>
File: 1445069898149.png (24KB, 500x560px) Image search: [Google]
1445069898149.png
24KB, 500x560px
>>389026212
>>
>>389025898
It'll help 10% of modders to think bigger, like me.
>>
>EARLY
>ACCESS
>MODS
>>
For those in favour of paying modders, you should realize most of these people use these mods as a portfolio to gain employment with game companies and develop a career through that. That was once good enough before corporate retards started wanting a cut of potential extra revenue
>>
fuck the faggot ass sjw communist antifa bitches who think that unpaid mods (communism) are better than paid mods (capitalism)
>>
>>389037629
Can't tell if this is /pol/ or satire
>>
>>389025693
>censoring fucking
Ugh Ugh Ugh I'm triggered, evil words like cunt, faggot, fuck, white people, shit, etc. trigger me, ugh!
Thread posts: 272
Thread images: 28

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.