[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is gaming getting worse or better?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 210
Thread images: 42

File: 1449358671247.jpg (26KB, 299x343px) Image search: [Google]
1449358671247.jpg
26KB, 299x343px
Is gaming getting worse or better?
>>
Worse

It can always get worse
>>
>>324190563
Yes
>>
Worse, like everything.
Good things will always get worse, sooner or later.
Times change.
>>
Better overall I think

It's becoming a lot easier to make games so we're seeing more games come out
>>
>>324191001
>we're seeing more games come out
Quality=/=Quantity
Fuck, man.
>>
>>324191393

There's plenty of good games coming out you jaded 17 year old
>>
>>324190563
better
there is literally nothing about the games industry that has gotten worse over the years
>>
It has the same quality as always.

>>324190673
>>324190930
t. Nostalgia fags
>>
>>324190930
You sound like one of those 60 year old faggots that complains about everything now and wants the past to keep being the future. Retards like you have been around for thousands of years, and if people listened to you we'd still banging rocks together.
>>
Better, considering you have the ability to play literally any game ever made, plus any new ones that come out now
>>
>>324190563

Worse, but this is a difficult question.

One could say that in the past there were always more shit games than good ones. the thing is is that they were more less forgetable and less marketable.

Today it's such a massive industry that no shit game gets forgotten because they spend so much on advertising and hype you simply can't ignore it.
>>
>>324192142
>indies
>spending on advertising
MUH MARKETING IS LITERALLY THE SOURCE OF ALL EVIL
>>
>>324190563
Slightly better compared to a couple of years ago.
>>
File: 1450031077041.gif (359KB, 370x330px) Image search: [Google]
1450031077041.gif
359KB, 370x330px
For me it's getting worse, I miss getting into a game and actually having fun with it, now all I do is look for flaws and compare it to other games I've played, I've become a huge negative asshole, whenever I look at my library I just think about how much of a chore playing any of those games is, I think I'm just getting tired of gaming overall, no new releases or kick starters excite me, every single game community drives me insane and makes me regret liking some games sometimes and everything seems boring.

TL;DR: I'm a cynical asshole, gaming is going as usual, it's ok.
>>
It declined from about 2005-2014 but it seems to be sloooowly recovering
>>
>>324192608
Yeah, maybe you should stop shitposting on /v/. Just a suggestion?
>>
>>324192816
But anon, it's the only thing keeping me from jumping from a bridge
>>
Sorry old man. Games are as good as ever, the ratio of good games to mediocre/shit games is the same as it's always been and the best games from this age can easily match up or surpass the best games from the past.
You have issues and video games don't fill your void anymore because they aren't the games you played when you were a happy kid not forced to deal with the harsh realities of the world you're living in. Your whole bleak outlook on your current life is reflected on the video games you play, which is why you are unable to enjoy them, but you refuse to believe that's the reason, you nitpick all those games to death in hopes of justifying your retarded opinions on them.
Your kind of nostalgiafaggotry has existed for as long as mankind has, across all mediums. Music is not as good, movies are not as good, books are not as good, everything was in its prime at your tender young age, when you were young and far more impressionable.
Commodore nostalgiafaggots considered Legend of Zelda: A Link To The Past a shit game that handholded the player too much and had too much fanfare and useless plot, which interfered with the gameplay, unlike masterpieces such as fucking Bubble Bobble.
You either move with the times or you pretend you're above them. And you are clearly choosing the later side of the fence. But you are also holding on to them because they're all you have. Enjoy your misery, I'll keep enjoying my video games.
>>
>>324190563
anyone who thinks it's better has some major delusion going on in their minds, and should be treated as basket cases
>>
>>324192385

/v/- illiteracy.
>>
File: 1452214784187.jpg (77KB, 680x453px) Image search: [Google]
1452214784187.jpg
77KB, 680x453px
Gaming peaked at 2003-2005 and since then it has only got worse.

>millenials will never experience the golden age of gaming
>>
>>324190563
overall worse, but there are still some shining stars here and there.
>>
>>324192608
>now all I do is look for flaws and compare it to other games I've played
Try games in genres you don't usually/have never played.

Never played a city builder? Go buy Cities Skylines. Don't usually touch racers? Go pick up a good racing game and try and master that shit.

You can't poke holes in what you haven't experienced before.

And before you say you've played every genre, keep in mind that there are all sorts of niche genres, or even types of games only limited to mobile, or maybe just experimental games.
>>
>>324190563
Worse. I remember when I loved every game I bought, now most everything is shit and now even some of the old stuff is starting to lose it's spark.
>>
>>324193785
That actually sounds like a nice idea, gonna try some new stuff this week.
>>
Gaming as a whole is doing really well. It's easier than ever to get your game out to the public and the market has never been bigger.
However, gaming has changed and the usual target demographic has changed, so people who got in to gaming 15+ years ago might not like what's going on right now.
>>
Better if compared to the last gen.
>>
>>324193893
you should stop browsing /v/ then
>>
>>324190563
Always better.
Little to nothing is stopping me from playing a good game from 30+ years ago.
And whatever few good games appear now and in the future, I can play those, too.
Any bad shit can be ignored.

Like any product market, only 1% of everything is actually good. Games have always had a mountain of shit surrounding the few gems, doesn't matter which year it is.
>>
>>324193536
Even if you were right (which you aren't), millenials would be able to experience 2003-2005 gaming anyways. Pretty much any game that was released back then can be played now.
>>
>>324190563
When so much money and marketing gets pumped into a terrible game (e.g. Destiny off the top of my head.)
This is the real problem.
>>
File: 7nPIzZg.jpg (22KB, 375x305px) Image search: [Google]
7nPIzZg.jpg
22KB, 375x305px
>>324193536
>millenials will never experience the golden age of gaming
i dont think you know what that word means
>>
>>324194180
Every developer is hoping to create the next money maker, but it does seem like they're being more cautious these days. Not that many "WoW-killers", for example.
If we're lucky, this will mean smaller budgets with more room for experimentation.
>>
Just cause its something ya might not like, it does not mean its worse.

Just cause it makes games you might like, it doesn't mean its getting better.

Shit depends, make up your own mind.
>>
>>324190563
The quality of an average game now is worse than 15-20 years ago, but the number of games being made has grown a lot, so it's still possible to find something good to play.
>>
Worse.

There are too many companies, making too many products, and not enough quality to go around.

This is a Time of Mediocrity.
>>
To be honest, I don't dislike the way gaming is going now. Small studios push out many projects, indies are improving dramatically as things pass, people are exploring less explored areas and taking inspiration from better sources than "The current top-seller", and we even see RPG Maker projects bustling. If you stop looking exclusively for AAA cancer and shitpost bait, you'll find tons of new fun games among small studios. Cynicism really doesn't improve taste.
>>
>>324190563
Metroid should have never gone FPS
>>
AAA is absolute dog shit

mid level devs/games are pretty good
>>
>>324190563
Better in some ways. There's indie development and a few good companies. The bigger business tends to make games that are critically flawed in some way. There are entire genres that have been rotting (mmorpg, shooters) and others that get new life breathed into them or almost made up entirely new.
>>
>>324190563
It's way worse than it was 10-15 years ago

but

It's better than it was 4 or 5 years ago
>>
File: CYi7F-LUsAAuKFY.png (132KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
CYi7F-LUsAAuKFY.png
132KB, 480x480px
yes
>>
>>324195048
Metroid should never took off after the first/second game
>>
>>324193536
1.) You're misusing millennial
2.) There's nothing stopping anyone from playing a 10 year old game
>>
>>324195710
>Chelsea
>>
>people paying for DRM that region locks you
>people paying for online twice over
>people paying for level editors
>people defending lazy remakes, day 1 DLC and microtransactions, early access, sandbox survival horror jumpscare meme games
>even more damn shooters
>challenge is done away with because it "triggers" people
>everything has to be comfy and casualized

Yes, things are getting bad.
>>
>>324195809
this

meanwhile Metroid's poor little sister Kid Icarus gotten a fun as fuck sequel after 25 years now it going back to it's freezer due to Sakurai's personal hate for sequels
>>
>>324196008

>Kid Icarus
>fun

Ehh, too much meme humor and terrible graphics for my tastes. Also, I was not a fan of the controls. I Could get used to them, but after playing so many games ont he PC, I puke at the thought of being forced to touch console and handheld controls.
>>
>>324196193
>post is typed by an obvious smashfag
>>
>>324195809
Fusion was a good game tho
>>
>years ago literally every game was a brown and grey cod clone
>now we have diverse games left and right, all popping with colour like Rocket League
Starting to get better if you ignore the never ending stream of randomized drops locked behind premium currency or ridiculous grinding.
You used to buy a game and unlock everything through playing the game and/or grinding , now you buy a game and then are forced to spend hundreds of dollars in an attempt to unlock things because grinding takes forever and it's only a couple bucks right so who cares right?
Randomized rewards locked behind paywalls are the biggest cancer we've seen in a while
>>
File: ouy.png (381KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
ouy.png
381KB, 500x500px
>>324196008
>there will never be a Uprising 2
>>
games now have the technical capability to be very good

however there's no money in quality anymore
everything is disposable and cheap
>>
File: medic.png (1MB, 1649x940px) Image search: [Google]
medic.png
1MB, 1649x940px
>>324196328

>implying I even like Smash Brothers
>>
File: Taylor Swift - Wut.gif (859KB, 500x342px) Image search: [Google]
Taylor Swift - Wut.gif
859KB, 500x342px
>>324193536
OK I'll bite.

You do realize Millennials are the exact people who DID experience literally all of gaming?

Unless you think Millennial means born after 1990?
>>
File: 1433061653751.jpg (39KB, 417x456px) Image search: [Google]
1433061653751.jpg
39KB, 417x456px
>>324196193
>meme humor
>>
>>324196335
nuh-uh, it's not like super so it's shit
>>
>>324190563
Worse but 2016 looks like a step in a decent direction atleast temporarily.
>>
>>324190563
worse
>>
File: Worst video game ever made.png (24KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Worst video game ever made.png
24KB, 1920x1080px
>>324190563
Worse.
>>
>>324190563
Slowly worse due to ecopolotical motivations.

Shit like TPP and how big of an impact gaming has on it despite how bad it is for some countries otherwise and it'll be forced on them shows this.

Gaming has also been near exempt from backlash for it's contributions to pollution as well (mostly Gamestop at this point's fault though I guess).

The quality of games themselves are roughly the same with a very very slight increase in mechanics before it drops due to a genre shift/change then again slowly climbs up. Meanwhile however every other aspect of the industry is literally raping consumers every year in a new way.
>>
>>324190563
worse.

you say no because you finally got one good game you're playing.

i'm saying that we should have good games released more frequently than we do now.

no one would complain about console exclusivity or waste time arguing about console wars if the games you are playing on your console are worth the $60 price tag.

and no, we should not praising mediocre games. they are a bad time investment and you should never believe that you can make up for it by putting extra miles into it.
>>
>>324196608

>self-referential 4th wall snarky meta humor
>not "meme" humor

It's Undertale: Sakurai edition.
>>
>>324193536
>it's a "/v/ abuses the word millennial while not actually knowing what it means" episode
fucking reruns all day
>>
>>324191831

We wuz kings
>>
>>324190563
While I think new games coming out are mostly garbage, that has been true since the 80's. Most of the shit that comes out is awful forgettable trash, so we only remember games that we actually liked.
So to say gaming is getting worse may be true. It may be that an even higher percentage of the games that come out today are forgettable trash.
But there are very very obstacles to playing any older game you really enjoyed, so if you don't like what's coming out you can just play one of those games.
>>
>>324190563
everything has to run on a console so objectively it is 10 years behind pc in terms of technology so objectively its worse.
>>
>>324191831
That's highly debatable. Companies like Nintendo put in a fuckload more effort than they do now. They were pioneers of 3D graphics and platforming mechanics. Now they shit out amiibo rubbish.
>>
>>324191831
It is objectively worse. And you are probably underage
>>
>>324196756
I was never one of those "stop liking things I don't like" faggots but there's something about this game and its fanbase that just fucking triggers me.
>>
>>324194525

>The quality of an average game now is worse than 15-20 years ago

No it fucking isn't, nobody remembers the gigantic mountain of shitty shovelware and shitty games that older consoles got, believe me, it's huge.
>>
The optimist in me says it's getting better as a whole, but optimism is for chumps.

I think it's more complicated then "better" or "worse".

Worse:
>AAA developers are the only kind of developer for major releases, and their quality suffers due to a combination of "broadened appeal" and unsustainable business practices
>the concept of the cloud means that games are becoming less about being products and more about being services
>even if the majority of /v/ overreacts to this, "normie" culture is taking in and is reshaping the industry to make less challenging, less fleshed out, more samey, and as "safe" as possible
>claims of sexism from the far-left, much like claims of violence-inducing from the far-right, is influencing the industry. The difference is that the claims of sexism are being taken very heavily into consideration, causing a very sensitive climate for sexual and gender-related content in video games.
>the idea that the only way for video games to mature is by telling stories much better suited to other mediums while removing what made video games compelling in the first place
>The concept of DLC often being handled very poorly and irresponsibly - and people defending it
>Social media bringing out the worst of developers and consumers, to put it shortly

Same:
>A shitton of shit games everywhere, no matter the budget
>new games and consoles being extremely expensive, as well as decent PCs
>some good games get through the cracks
>Society is generally insecure about enjoying video games
>console exclusivity being a bitch
>platform fanboyism
>video games are a boogeyman in one way or another
>big corporations making incredibly short-sighted, greedy decisions, including incomplete games and ruining developers' good names
>games being dumbed down for a broader audience, people upset about it

Cont.
>>
>>324196554
You're wrong.
There are no precise dates when the generation starts and ends; most researchers and commentators use birth years ranging from the early 1980s to the early 2000s.

Generally it's considered 2000s, but some do consider it earlier.
>>
>>324190563
Depends on genre. RTS died or is dying, FPS is splitting into Hardcore shit like Arma or casual shit like COD. Turn based strategy is being revived so its a wonderful time.
>>
>>324196779

You keep mentioning TPP, but I don't see any trace it, so I feel like yu're just fear mongering.
>>
File: James Franco Wut.jpg (37KB, 379x503px) Image search: [Google]
James Franco Wut.jpg
37KB, 379x503px
>>324197112
Nigga, you're thinking of Generation Z (yes that's a thing).

Literally 80% of this site are Millennials (1980-2000).
>>
Just look at Nintendo's franchises

Mario - Objectively worse
Metroid - FAR FUCKING WORSE
Pikimin - Objectively worse
Pokemon - Objectively worse
Zelda - Indisputably worse
Mario Kart - Objectively worse
Smash - Probably the only good one
Animal Crossing - Objectively worse

And their latest franchise, Splatoon is just abysmal compared to the quality they used to have
>>
File: 1388950156212.jpg (8KB, 196x208px) Image search: [Google]
1388950156212.jpg
8KB, 196x208px
It depends on what side of the equation you're on and what your aspect of "better" is. It's kind of like whether or not it's being "romantic" depending on what side of the bedroom window and chloroform rag you're on.
>>
>>324197370
generation X is never represented morons. gen x is not part of the millennials.
>>
>>324190563
They're getting better but safer. Publishers will stick to and improve the technical qualities of the same series or genres in order to make mad money, but are more unwilling to diverge from formulas that "work" and take risks. Games look, sound, sometimes play better than they used to as the tech and equipment used to make and play them improve, but there's also a lot of copycating. This is obvious in the highly monetized genres like mobile gaming, FPS, maybe MOBAs too. I'm hopeful for the future but prepared for years of repetitive average/above-average games.
>>
>>324194434
Sorry but it won't. The money train for MMOs is in founder packs these days and stalling them long.
see: Albion, EQ Next, ArcheAge.

It's the same shit with slight twists and when they believe their numbers won't add up they casualize it (see: ArcheAge - went from something akin to MMO+Ultima/HnH to generic MMO with free pvp).

These games don't do anything wildly different or take risks and there are none on the horizon that will, games are marketed as such because they know we're tired of seeing the same shit, but they aren't actually different.

>>324197187
This is my first time mentioning it. TPP is nowhere near as bad as people think but it will hurt other countries in non-Gaming areas, and the largest deal is that it gives ISPs not only more freedom to spy on you and deliver information, but an obligation to do so.

>>324197370
At least in my high school books (Born 1990) it actually listed Millennials separately, Gen X->Y->Millennials. Had a shitty HS tho
>>
>>324190563
It is going to have a huge resurgence soon.

Not many people are passionate and devs are too greedy.

Once they can't make money on generic trash anymore true games will come back.
>>
>>324197432
>objectively worse
>indisputably worse

Looks like someone is still in high school
>>
Name 5 games which were last playing last year and that should answer your question.
>>
As of recent

Better actually

2015 is the best gaming year of the decade and 2016 also looks very promising
>>
>>324197370
>>324197554
Oh yes to follow up that said clearly you're right and I'm wrong about Millennials being after Y, my textbooks weren't amazing in HS so it's not surprising, thank you for clarifying.
>>
>>324197582

I know this sounds like paranoia, but what's the chances of big greedy devs leaving the industry, but not before salting the earth?

For example, say they can't make money on COD anymore, but they don't want anyone else making money, so they bribe the government to make a law saying that nobody can ever make a shooter again. You think that could ever happen? I know companies love copyrighting crap left and right, like having minigames in a load screen.
>>
File: 1446364479726.gif (641KB, 529x335px) Image search: [Google]
1446364479726.gif
641KB, 529x335px
>>324190563
Objectively better if you don't play online/multiplayer games. Because you have the older games and you also have the newer ones. So instead of being able to play just the older ones, now you get to play both.

On a whole I think game quality has gone down but I really can't say it's all bad because some of my favorite games of all time have been released in the past couple of years.
>>
>>324197697
>Can't detect bait
>Fell for it

Looks like someone is still in high school
>>
>>324190563
>gaming potential continues to improve year after year
>games get worse and worse

y thouh?
>>
File: Nigga Wat.png (185KB, 578x478px) Image search: [Google]
Nigga Wat.png
185KB, 578x478px
>>324197472
>gen x is not part of the millennials.
......Nobody ever said it was, dude.
Gen X started in the 1960's.
>>
File: smug medic.jpg (19KB, 191x234px) Image search: [Google]
smug medic.jpg
19KB, 191x234px
>>324197705

>Steel Strider
>supercharged robot vulkaiser
>Rocket League
>Pillars of Eternity
>Underrail

Easy.
>>
>>324197753
>2015 is the best gaming year of the decade
See
>>324197705

Tell me 5 games worth playing last year
>>
>>324197705
>which were last playing last year
what
>>
>>324197772
No.

What they will do is realize they need to give teams the time they want to make a quality game so they can make money.
>>
Way worse. Just look at Nintendo. It's turned into weeb-pandering shovelware-spewing garbage.
>>
I hate how games are so cinematic now - probably because I'm such a casual, but it makes it so much harder for me to play.
>>
>>324190563
Worse. I've started playing mostly old games. I got a SNES for Christmas and I've already spent logged hours on it than my Xbox One, which I've had for two years now.

There are a couple games I'm looking forward to this year, like Persona 5, but at this point I've accepted that I will not be interested in the majority of new releases, and instead of always anticipating the next new game like I did when I was a kid, I should instead just focus on playing the things I enjoy.
>>
File: Don't mind me..png (232KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
Don't mind me..png
232KB, 640x360px
>>324190563

I think the quality is about the same rate, but I think it's in different quantities

Older games
+Much more challenging by default
+The creators did very weird things that added to the charm of the game, such as an item that makes it night time even if that doesn't make sense
+Creators wanted you to LOVE the game and would put more effort into it
+Music stood out more
+Programming was much more creative than nowadays because necessity is the mother of invention
+Only takes 1 year to make a full game, sequels could pop out the second you finished one game
+Because of a lack of internet, most games had this mysterious, almost romantic feeling about them.
-Games could go overboard with the difficulty resulting in Silver Surfers or Battletoads
-Creators would sometimes do weird things that made the game not fun, such as requiring you to farm or grind a spot for 2 hours
-Cash grabs were lazy and uninspired movie tie ins that basically ruined your whole evening
-Because of lack of internet, there was no way to protect yourself from bad games due to lack of proper reviews and sharing of opinions
-Also meant that if you got stuck in a game and didn't know anyone else who had ever played it, fuck you.

Modern games:
+Thanks to gameplay design courses, gameplay is significantly improved and smoother
+Newer, unique innovations around at every corner, even just taking an old concept and turning it on it's head
+Games can be modified as you like with enough learning.
+Graphics are beautiful on even the shoddiest of games. No more pixel hunting and saying "THAT was supposed to be a WRENCH?!"
-Modern theory of game design prevents most designers from making their games harder than your average jigsaw puzzle.
-Internet means no mystery. Every game has been 100% cracked and thensome
-Marketing execs want every game to be the next minecraft or call of duty, irrevocably ruin potentially great games
-People publishing half-finished games and trying to cover their asses
>>
>>324197102

Better:
>the ability to access, purchase, play nearly every game, new or old, any time you please
>the ability to gauge the quality of a game before buying it, through review sites, score aggregators, forums, or simple word of mouth
>cloud-based gaming means that you have an entire library that you don't have to lug around
>more games, franchises are multiplatform than ever (remember when FF and MGS was considered a Sony-exclusive franchises?)
>indie games essentially picking up where the 80's left off
>the ability to help fund games that you think are fun
>virtual reality is becoming a thing
>niche franchises are finally getting the rereleases, sequels they deserve
>online play isn't as hackneyed as it used to be (especially on consoles)
>the ability to communicate to developers is a much simpler and instant process
>digital game sales mean that games are cheaper than ever

I'm running out of text (and feeling lazy), I'll finish here.

So yeah, it could be better, sure, but it could be much worse as well. From a personal standpoint, I enjoy video games much more now than I did as a kid, DLC-warts and all.
>>
>>324197874
>All that indie garbage
>>
File: qqeuls.jpg (68KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
qqeuls.jpg
68KB, 200x200px
>>324197432
>Smash - Probably the only good one

Almost had me
>>
>>324197813
>i was only pretending to be a retard trying to be smart trying to look like a retard

Kill yourself faggot

The whole

>lel you feel for me b8 m8

back peddle tactic is as old as 4chan and it gives you away.
>>
>>324196825
who's the Sans of Kid Icarus: Uprising?
>>
>>324197961
You misspelled Sony
>>
File: 084234848038246789.png (1MB, 1012x1052px) Image search: [Google]
084234848038246789.png
1MB, 1012x1052px
>>324198059

>any of that
>indie garbage
>>
>>324198071
Alright I'll take the line. What's wrong with the latest Smash game?

If anything it seems like the best thing Nintendo has done lately. Maybe Bayonetta 2
>>
File: [LOUD SWEATING].jpg (40KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
[LOUD SWEATING].jpg
40KB, 640x480px
>>324197758
Generation Y is technically the same as the Millennial Generation. Some textbooks list them separately to make things more confusing because they're assholes.

I'm positive that's what the overwhelmingly vast majority of the Internet is comprised of.

IIRC, it goes:
Generation X (1960's - 1980's) > Generation Y/Millennial Generation (1980's - 2000's) > Generation Z (Kids born in 1990's - 20XX)
>>
>>324198160
>giving it replies
>>
>>324198139

I don't know. Pyron?

Pit is Frisk, Palutena is Goatmom, Viridi is Undyne (lesbian who hates humans) Flowey is hades, Papyrus is Eggplant Wizard, etc.
>>
>>324198078
You sound like a pleasant guy to be around
>>
>>324197926
I had a great time with Bloodborne, Black Ops 3, Ori, Duck Game and Rocket League
>>
>>324198232
>>324198160
Are you telling me they aren't indie games?
>>
>>324198273
You sound like a stupid faggot kid that is cancerous to 4chan and should fuck off forever
>>
>>324198178
It plays like shit

The lack of momentum in jumps and magnet ledges makes for shit mobility and platforming, it does not feel good to play
>>
>>324191635
SJWs
A decreased emphasis put on game length and single player
Lower difficulty in games
etc.
>>
File: 1401903420788.jpg (4KB, 168x200px) Image search: [Google]
1401903420788.jpg
4KB, 168x200px
Worse. Everything is micro transactions and season passes. There are diamonds in the rough though
>>
File: 1451050835937.jpg (7KB, 251x238px) Image search: [Google]
1451050835937.jpg
7KB, 251x238px
>>324198379

Indie games, they are. Garbage, they're not.

I avoided a certain meme game because usually that instantly turns people off, so why call them garbage?
>>
>>324198574
Because he wants those (You)s you moron
>>
>>324198317
>2 garbage indie games
>1 boring kickstarter project
>1 AAA milked to death
>Yet another Souls game

Holy crap you're easy to entertain. Might as well paint a wall in front of you and make you watch it dry you'd probably be just as entertained
>>
File: gee, i dunno man.gif (272KB, 256x192px) Image search: [Google]
gee, i dunno man.gif
272KB, 256x192px
for me, it's getting worse
near to no new game appeals to me anymore and almost every time it turns out to be copying something from another game that did it better
most of the time when I'm looking for new games to play I end up looking for games from the PS2 or earlier
>>
>>324198465
There are people who can help anon, it's okay
>>
>>324198671
This is why you get no pussy
>>
>>324190563
worse 4k textures and a million polygons per model, plus all the magical shit nesesary to create enviroments make game developing insanely expensive, so games are smaller and less detailed.

Example 2004 wow was probably way more easy on the dev team, trying to create an expansive world like that in the same timeframe and budget would be fucking imposible with today graphic quality standarts.
>>
>>324198631
>>324198574
No (you)s necessary. They were legitimately terrible games which had to copy existing designs and appeal to nostalgia to get anywhere.

Pillars of Eternity and Underail have been done so often in the past it's almost disturbing
>>
>>324198772
I miss those licensed games like Spongebob, Jimmy Neutron, and the infinite Disney movie games - they weren't fantastic, but they were entertaining.
>>
>>324198789
I get it, I just don't go for the low quality stuff like you
>>
>>324198918

>They were legitimately terrible games which had to copy existing designs and appeal to nostalgia to get anywhere.
This is how I can tell you've never even played them. You didn't even critique all 5 of my choices.
>>
>>324198505
this guy gets it
>>
>>324199042
Do I have to write out a paragraph for every game I didn't enjoy?

The only one on the list I haven't played is Steel Strider. Just by looking at it I can tell something like Metal Slug would blow it the fuck away
>>
File: rolphandlgui.gif (91KB, 500x360px) Image search: [Google]
rolphandlgui.gif
91KB, 500x360px
>>324198968
back then devs put more heart and thought into games and how to get around the system limitations

on the other hand, now console games can't get to a constant framerate and pc ports range from good to atrocious
>>
>>324191885
I wouldn't mind still living in Roman times
>>
File: 1427656900790.jpg (311KB, 994x682px) Image search: [Google]
1427656900790.jpg
311KB, 994x682px
It goes in phases really. Obviously good in the late 70s, dead from the early 80s until mid 80s, thriving in the 90s, still some good momentum and new IPs coming out in the early 00s, dogshit motion babby waggle crap and the big three trying to hop that bandwagon for the better part of the decade, and then now it's in a weird place. AAA game quality is nosediving and the indie and smaller devs are creating gold because they're mostly the ones with any sort of creative passion left.

It sucks seeing all the greats from the 90s flailing like a dead fish, but they brought it on themselves and they're pretty much all following EA's cynical model.

The gaming community is pretty atrocious though. It's overtly negative and full of contrarians and people who spend more time complaining about games than actually playing them. Mechagamezilla had a pretty great point now that everyone loves the snarky neckbeard gamer and the culture of negativity has infected gaming as a whole.

It can get better, but it would mean devs trying and you guys not being such cunts anytime an Undertale thread pops up.
>>
>>324199280
yeah those sub-15 fps games on the n64 were great
>>
>>324199460
got any examples?
I honestly can't think of any
>>
>>324199460
Consider that was early 3D graphics and you can shove ridiculous amounts of processing power into computers these days. There's no excuse
>>
File: 1448684542100.jpg (89KB, 374x479px) Image search: [Google]
1448684542100.jpg
89KB, 374x479px
Video games today:
>more accessible and plentiful than in the past
>no cheatcodes
>thriving indie scene, a majority being mediocre or not even finished
>overproduced AAA titles that offer no challenge or merit (beyond graphics)
>DLC
>overabundance of choices has people less invested in any particular games
>the rise of competitive online gamers and hairy-necked youtube personalities
>cellphone games are the modern equivalent of old shitty flash games
>>
>>324199605
all of them? off the top of my head, ocarina of time and donkey kong 64
>>
is ZSS autistic?
>>
>>324199263

>The only one on the list I haven't played is Steel Strider. Just by looking at it I can tell something like Metal Slug would blow it the fuck away
Yep, you haven't played it.
>>
File: 1436032918912.jpg (54KB, 697x497px) Image search: [Google]
1436032918912.jpg
54KB, 697x497px
>>324193536
>they could easily download play almost any game from the past 40 years
>choose to play indie retro pixelshit
>>
File: 1452916506487.jpg (39KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1452916506487.jpg
39KB, 500x500px
>>324197432
>Mario - Objectively worse
>Pikmin - Objectively worse
>Pokemon - Objectively worse
>Mario Kart - Objectively worse

False.
>>
it will get worse until something i like comes out
>>
>gaming dies everyday
>people are done with gaming (every 2 hours)
>AAA is shit
>Indie is shit
>Everything else is not as good as AAA or Indie, it's shit
>literally no games to play
>multiplayer is cancer
>singleplayer is autism
>both combined give you a kidney failure
>microtransactions required to download and play the game
>DRM-free games have DRM
>Everything is censored to the point where you stare at black screen
>/v/ is full of Tumblr, Reddit, Furries
>>
File: 10423902.jpg (25KB, 625x626px) Image search: [Google]
10423902.jpg
25KB, 625x626px
>>324200524
>>
>>324197432
Pretty much right, except that Smash is also worse (Melee was the peak) and Splatoon is pretty good. Obviously it's not a legendary game like some of Nintendo's past efforts, but it's still good.
>>
>>324190563
Let's face it, /v/ grew up with the peak of gaming starting with 2006 when the 360/Wii/PS3 hit.

Gaming today is garbage compared to the past 10 years of amazing games we had. I'm sure most of /v/ are now 20 years old and we should pretty much abandon this hobby, there's no more good games that can be experienced ever again and it's all going to be downhill from here.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (15KB, 414x153px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
15KB, 414x153px
>>324190563

Undertale is considered a great game, I just played it and it's above average at best. Vidya is in the shitter.
>>
>>324200524
I fucking hate video games
>>
File: insert credit card to continue.jpg (25KB, 620x400px) Image search: [Google]
insert credit card to continue.jpg
25KB, 620x400px
>>324190563
Casuals are now paying money to continue their game when they run out of lives. They've completely failed to understand the point of home video games.

Game Over, vidya
>>
File: 123480351686.jpg (20KB, 384x384px) Image search: [Google]
123480351686.jpg
20KB, 384x384px
>>324200728
>Melee was the peak
>>
File: 1452396372289.jpg (4MB, 5576x6912px) Image search: [Google]
1452396372289.jpg
4MB, 5576x6912px
>>324190563
Worse. Less companies. Less good games. Less games in general.
>>
>>324200710
Fish count as furries too
>>
>>324200734
Speak for yourself you fag. My childhood was the Genesis and the PS1.

The 360/Wii/PS3 era was when things started to get shitty and we had the emergence of modern AAA games. Really oldfags will tell you that the PS2 era was shitty, but honestly that era started off pretty strong and had good games throughout, in spite of having a lot of shit too.
>>
>>324201168
If you grew up with the genesis/PS1, that would make you 30-40 years old.

Why would anyone that old be browsing 4chan let alone be old enough to grow up playing retro consoles like the PS1 or the genesis?
>>
>>324200918
This isn't even the start of this or the end.

People literally pay to make games easier.

Explain that shit.

I'd pay for more difficulty.

These people pay to make it EASIER.

The only instance I can think of paying for more difficulty in the last 5+ years is smash bros amiibos and that's really nothing at all.

The funniest thing is that because AI work is something they don't pay a lot for/care about too much these days, difficulty ceilings suffer unless it's a VS game.
>>
File: ay-o-finger-box-1996.jpg (59KB, 512x582px) Image search: [Google]
ay-o-finger-box-1996.jpg
59KB, 512x582px
The best console is whatever I grew up with

The best games were whatever my mom got me for my birthdays

Never mind all the of the technical and artistic advancements the industry has made since I was five.

Nevermind the BOOMING independent market, making it easier than ever before for the little guy to get a project greenlit, funded, and marketed without millions in capital investment.

Nah, the best games were back when the graphics were so bad you had to use your imagination in order to have a good time. And don't forget to comb through the complimentary short novel to figure out how the fuck to play the game in the first place since there's no in game tutorial of any kind.
>>
>>324201272
Depends on what you mean by when someone "grew up". I'm 23 but I have very good memories of my early childhood, which is when I played those consoles. You could include early PS2 era in my "growing up" phase, but I'd say that phase was done by the time the PS3 era hit and I have no nostalgia for those consoles, if you have a different definition then that's cool.
>>
Golden Age of gaming is roughly 1985 to 2005. Not everything lasts forever.

Release of Xbox 360 induced cancer.

2010 11 12 13 14 were shit

2015 2016 is looking better in some ways
>>
>>324200970
Hey buddy, check out the stream for the Genesis tournament. 32,000 people watching a tournament for a 14 year old game right now, it must be a really good game huh? :^)
>>
>>324201590
>2015 is looking better in some ways
>the year that radical left hipsters thought that Undertale was a good game and retards with shit taste thought that Witcher 3 was a good game

2015 has been an absolutely disgusting year for gaming.
>>
>>324201382
Just to be 100% clear here.

Books are generally better than movies.

Guess why, because you use your imagination to create the visuals, even when they're there, the way your mind handles it is perfect, flawless, tailored to you, it's the beauty of a book.

Also sorry but your analogy there is wrong, getting into gaming at the front of it actually was nowhere near as bad as you think as long as your age was right. That said getting a game out there isn't SUPER hard right now as long as it's good. The problem is that, it has to be good, somewhat unique or push some envelope, and most people just go with the third option.
>>
>>324201382
In game tutorials always annoy me when I'm playing a game because I like figuring shit out on my own and instead I'm locked into a boring slow paced hand hold area instead of just playing the game
>>
>>324201852

I felt like alot of other good games came out. Maybe they weren't the most original, but they showed a polish on the design concepts of earlier games, without relying on any of the gimmicks.
>>
File: NES.png (1MB, 1320x1396px) Image search: [Google]
NES.png
1MB, 1320x1396px
>>324190563
Worse. Nowadays you're paying $60+ for an incomplete game riddled with microtransacitons and obnoxious DRM that require you to pay for internet access twice.
>>
So now that we've proven beyond reasonable doubt that old video games were better can we finally admit that the industry needs to crash for a revival into a glorious new gaming era?
>>
>>324201382
Look man, I just played Super Metroid for the first time. It blew my mind. Best game I played all year, way better than any "AAA" shit I played.

Some of these old games are loved for a reason, it's not all just nostalgia.
>>
Anyone not saying both doesn't know what they're talking about
Which is about this whole goddamn thread

As technology advances, developers are given access to higher possibilities, and some make use of it, but it has also become easier to pass off less work for more gain
>>
>>324202341
Super Metroid has atmosphere going for it and nothing else
>>
File: double dragon 3 store.jpg (58KB, 756x461px) Image search: [Google]
double dragon 3 store.jpg
58KB, 756x461px
>>324201289
>paying real money for powerups is now acceptable
Double Dragon 3 was way ahead of it's time.

It's not even limited to casual shit now. Halo 5's warzone mode gives you the option to buy packs of single-use cards you only normally get by leveling up. The cards are the only way to get vehicles or special weapons in that mode.
>>
>>324202451
What advances in technology have we had in the last 5 years?
>>
File: 1336390675088s.jpg (5KB, 251x189px) Image search: [Google]
1336390675088s.jpg
5KB, 251x189px
>mobile games cancerous as fuck
>games as service: episodic games, DLC, season pass, f2play, pay2win nonsense fucking EVERYWHERE (and don't even say it is the same content as old expansion packs; it isn't)
>everyone in Japan just playing mobile games
>2 of the 3 major consoles might as well be dead
>>
>>324202591
Lots
>>
>>324202472
It teaches you its game mechanics without the need for cutscenes or dialogue.
Doesn't make it obvious where to go next, but is never overly-frustrating.
Rewards you for exploring.
Core mechanics are very polished, even simple actions like jumping over some platforms are fun to execute.
Makes you feel like a badass by the end of the game when you have the space jump and screw attack.

So basically you're wrong.
>>
Better. Some genres just fare better than the other
>>
>>324202591
Just steady quantitative advances, we haven't had any qualitative leaps that are in the consumers hands yet, VR is on it's way, 14nm technology is a big leap but still quantitative.

Almost all qualitative changes in gaming have been what /v/ would call gimmicks (Touchscreen, Wagglin, etc) or consumer-raping pay fucks (Paid online access, DLC, etc)
>>
File: tea.png (113KB, 325x400px) Image search: [Google]
tea.png
113KB, 325x400px
>>324202835

You know, you're alright man. Those are pretty much my exact arguments as to why I love Super Metroid.

Welcome to the club of good taste.
>>
>>324202472
You're wrong, there's a reason the Castlevania genre is so loved, the classics were fucking great and the stuff since is pretty good but also pretty close to it.

For anyone who enjoys them, check out Monster Tale I think it was, pretty good hybrid genre game.
>>
>>324202265
The best thing we can hope for is a massive consumer rejection of all seasons passes, DLC expansions and microtransactions. One game, one price.
>>
>>324190563
it's bigger then it was

but in my sphere of games it's pretty fine. I'm sure your just growing out of games or your tastes are changing because games haven't all that much.
>>
>>324202873
What I'm saying is that if you play a game like COD MW from 2007 and then fast forward to BLOPS 3 in 2015 it doesn't feel remarkably different (other than the jetpacks and wall running which could definitely be done in 2007)

Nintendo are the ones trying to differentiate from everyone else by using wagglan, touchscreens and dual screens this is true whereas Microsoft, Sony and PC sticks to a traditional focus.

We improve in graphics but don't seem to go anywhere in terms of game design or better AI. We're still mashing QTEs like Shenmue did back in 1999.
>>
>>324202835
The core mechanics don't feel polished at all and the level design is rather boring.
>>
>>324190563
It's getting better at getting worse.
>>
>>324204009
What games do you think do better in those categories?
>>
File: hitman.jpg (34KB, 639x360px) Image search: [Google]
hitman.jpg
34KB, 639x360px
>>324202657
>after the cancellation of many episodic series after the first game and Half-Life's ridiculous delays between episodes, Telltale games made episodic gaming work
>In 2016, Hitman is going to fuck up episodic gaming for everybody
>Agent 47 will assassinate this shitty business model
>>
>>324190563
"gaming" won't get better until normies fuck off to a different hobby
>>
>>324190563
FUCKABLE
Also, vidya is getting worse movies are getting much much better. Also, vidya is becoming movies
>>
>>324203853
the funny thing is.

PC can fully do wagglan (easily with current dlls) or almost anything, but people forget this due to commercial giants. Gates started in a garage folks. Wozniak started at his college.

Sony at least realized the usefulness of touch zones and added them on the PS4 pad, (and on the Vita?), so they can at least realize a good opportunity and roll with it, they also realized Smash wasn't justa passing thing, very late, but they did and took a try at it. That's respectable.

PC has had MUGEN since '99. So it has the same thing but without QA, because it's unsalable commercially.

I agree with you though it's a problem, yet the steady graphic updates mean playing the 2007 vs 2015 is a hard deal. Playing 3D games that weren't well stylized (JSRF, Sonic games, etc) is hard to do when it's such a gap. 2D games similarly suffer a bit but most of us have an endearing nostalgiac feel for it, so it's okay.
>>
>>324190563
Gaming is better but theres a ton of jewing and censorship bullshit so the industry itself is worse
>>
File: happymask.jpg (33KB, 630x350px) Image search: [Google]
happymask.jpg
33KB, 630x350px
Worse. When in doubt, look at Zelda. It's a barometer for the life of the industry.

Every game release is like the thump of a heart. As you can see:

>Ocarina: Prime of industry. 3D had just been perfected by the N64. Rumble had come out. The west was supporting good taste.
>Majora: Industry is starting to lose touch with quality again in light of all the hubbub over the Dreamcast and PS2.
>Wind Waker: The industry is spiraling down. Having preferred showmanship and choosing PS2 over the GC (but this was also Nintendo's fault for not supporting their IP's smart enough).
>Twilight Wii: Mayday! Mayday!
>Skyward Sword: ABORT! ABORT! ABORT!
>ALBW: BRUROOOOOSH!!!
>>
>>324206018
Wind Waker was fucking great.

People still don't shut up abuot Majora's Mask despite OoT being better in most people's eyes.

Skyward Sword was actually fun

Triforce Heroes has very fucking anonying story, but the gameplay is actually super fucking fun and playing online is hype as hell.

Despite most people hating on them, almost all of the DS Zeldas were actually fun gameplay wise following the trend of introducing 1-2 new gameplay mechanics but otherwise keeping the core as it was.
>>
It's getting worse cuz I'm too old to enjoy games anymore
>>
>>324190563
Feels worse, but that might be because all my favorite series are dead or dying
>Burnout/arcade racers are gone
>DMC is in limbo
>dislike how RE went after 4
>Metroid is dead
>Crysis went to shit
>FEAR/Condemned never got a sequel they deserved
>>
>>324206018
>the industry died because they didn't support NINTENDO CONSOLES
Not like Nintendo made it easy for them

>N64 - storage? who needs storage! optical media is a fad
>Gamecube - lack of storage again, but we look kawaii
>Wii - Who needs hardware? We got WAGGLAN
>>
File: 1442084449496.jpg (25KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1442084449496.jpg
25KB, 250x250px
2016 is going to be one if the greatest years in video game history. 2015 was the same way for rap music, I have nothing but optimistic thoughts. Gonna be playing Paper Jam, SFV, Cyber Sleuth, Gravity Rush, Unravel, XCOM 2, The Witness and Naruto all within the same month, holy shit.
>>
File: ooTNonlinearity.png (216KB, 925x637px) Image search: [Google]
ooTNonlinearity.png
216KB, 925x637px
>>324206292
Wind Waker was the game that introduced dungeon linearity into the series.

Well actually the Oracle games were the ones that did that, but still.

Never played Triforce Heroes and probably won't for some time, but that's good to know. Although I'm skeptical. Based on the fact that I hate Spirit Tracks and it looks like it's even worse on the escort aspect.
>>
File: 1431562799014.gif (1MB, 400x206px) Image search: [Google]
1431562799014.gif
1MB, 400x206px
>>324207005
lol look at all that garbage
>>
>>324207068
>OoT not linear

>Post a picture of an almost fully linear game with one outcrop

What are you trying to get at here?

Almost every RPG is largely linear, even games that claim they totally aren't, are. It's too costly to make a game that isn't. It's always main story that MIGHT have 1-2 branches that will always come back together because writing epic scenes for several pathways costs too much money, and a few optional branches as well. It's never more than that, even in games like ME.
>>
>>324206719
>Burnout/arcade racers are gone
Every racing game expect Forza has been shit this gen. One company makes one good racing game a year for one console.
>>
>>324191831

Its getting worse. The industry is creatively bankrupt and fighting to stay afloat.
>>
>>324207572
>one outcrop
Can you not read the picture?

The "outcrop" is simply for skipping the Lens of Truth since that's the hardest thing. Seriously, what about that picture can't you understand?

And I'm not sure if you're trying to say it doesn't matter or if we should just sit on our hands and take whatever the industry gives us. It matters in Zelda because dungeons are what the games are about. And it matters in other games because it keeps the quality of the games high.

Nonlinearity and challenge are directly proportionate to fun.
>>
>>324208030
Not at all, I'm not proposing you should take what the industry gives you in the slightest.

I'm simply stating that is how it is.

That image isn't super linear, but it's also just minor branches (Still mostly linear), but that's how games like that are mainly meant to be.
>>
>>324192718

The developers misread the market and Sony made a messy launch. Imo, the previous gen was dominated by massive confusion as to who would lead the market. In the end alot smaller developers and publishers went out of business.
>>
>>324208484
Then why is OoT the only one of its kind like that?

only other game as nonlinear is StarFox 64.
>>
>>324207536
>not enjoying vidya
>>
>>324195939
Of all the things wrong with the TPP that name is what upsets you the most??
>>
>>324208804
Because most people DO take what the industry gives them, and unfortunately gamers as a whole seem to not be able to stand up for themselves in almost every respect, which is why consumer 'rights' (I hate this term but you get the picture) are stripped away year after year, and dumb shit like DLC, more invasive DRM, and season passes/etc get in.

People also don't actively push for harder games nearly enough, and because of the fact that the overhead is the majority of the game, for a $60 game they can turn a profit in under 500k sales usually and that's with at least 50% going to overhead easily

Even a AAA title (Crysis 3) costs $60mil to make, 1mil copies comes even.

They're not willing to throw in the risk and extra few million for that, as it underlines the profit.

P.S. I have no idea what the actual developer gets paid in any cases as that information is not publicly available.
>>
>DLC
are we really having a conversation about whether or not vidya is worse?
>>
>>324198054##

>Marketing execs want every game to be the next minecraft or call of duty, irrevocably ruin potentially great games

This is one of the worst parts of the current business. Marketing departments are going through AAA games with different/several business theories, while compromising fresh creative ideas.

Its gotta be pretty tough to convince a publisher to explore concepts for a new abstract IPs which doesnt have the broadest appeal.

One the biggest sacrifices the industry has suffered is creative innovation and limitations.
Thread posts: 210
Thread images: 42

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.