[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is Final Fantasy X considered one of the worst?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 101
Thread images: 12

File: 1451715615224.png (953KB, 931x899px) Image search: [Google]
1451715615224.png
953KB, 931x899px
I always thought X was well received but recently people have been saying it's trash. I've never really been into FF so is it just not a final fantasy game or is it actually a bad game?
>>
Its the best FF game.
>>
>>323990225
I found the lack of an 'open'world kinda game breaking. other than that, story's amazing, great combat and love-able characters.
>>
File: 1384050750929.jpg (30KB, 555x555px) Image search: [Google]
1384050750929.jpg
30KB, 555x555px
>tfw no Pino sidekick
>>
>>323990894
>>323990921
So they were just fucking with me and it's actually great?
>>
>>323990986
Yup
>>
i think the ranking for the FF games are fairly subjective out of a handful of titles most people think are fairly bad (2 in particular is probably the least liked game)

that being said 10 is one of my personal favourites
>>
>>323990894

I second this.
>>
Well shit should I pick it up and jam it then? I've only ever played the remake of the first on psp, are there any hidden mechanics or stupid shit I should know about?
>>
>>323991268

no the mechanics are all pretty straight forward unless you do the optional post-game stuff
>>
It depends on what you want out of the game

I'd argue FFV is the best simply because it does the most with the series' signature job system. That and it has a great soundtrack

X's pacing is a bit awkward, and the postgame is complete garbage. The combat system is solid, though outdone by X-2 in every way. It's mostly the characters that kill the game for me, I couldn't get into any of them, They're all just so flat. Yuna is the only one with an interesting arch
>>
>>323991337
The Aeons and shit right? Should I do those, I mean I've heard they have stupid high hp but are they just a cheap bullshit fight or challenging experience?
>>
>>323990225
It was the first one to feel that linear. No overworld, locations being a series of hallways, and a huge amount of cutscenes interrupting gameplay. It was basically the precursor of XIII in terms of this "cinematic storytelling" nonsense Kitase had gotten focused on.

X is nowhere near as bad as XIII, but there's a lot of similarities in style. Personally I still enjoy X, but I can see why people might not rank it as a favorite in the series.
>>
"The best" Final Fantasy game is usually whichever one you played first

And in that regard, in order of "amount of people who played which FF first" I'd guess it'd be something like

VII
X
VI

Which also happen to be the three that I hear argued for the best most often

IV would probably be a close fourth
>>
It's very different, but it's definitely interesting. The sphere grid completely replaces the level system in most RPGs, which I'm sure alienated a huge amount of people who played it. Because of it, many Kimahris turned out super weak for a long time in the game.

No open world, no real "exploration" feeling to it, and so on. But the story is good, the graphics were amazing for its time, the combat is intuitive and fun, and making supercharacters is very gratifying and fun.
>>
>>323991654
So it was the point where Final Fantasy descended into what it is today, and people blame the fall of the series on this game? I can kinda get that but that's super harsh. Are the spinoffs decent?
>>
>>323991615
>I mean I've heard they have stupid high hp but are they just a cheap bullshit fight or challenging experience?

None of the postgame is challenging, they're literally just statwalls. You get enough HP to not get one shot, then spam multi-hit overdrives until their dead (Because of damage caps and huge HP pools, anything that doesn't multihit is shit)

There's no unique mechanics anywhere in the postgame
>>
>>323990225

10 gets flack for 2 reasons, the linear world, although its possible to backtrack all the way to Besaid up until your first romp into Bevelle, and its bad voice acting. which is excusable, since its one of the first games that had full VA
>>
>>323991615

if you want, it's really just a big completionist thing

the bosses aren't particularly hard or anything, they're basically just big stat checks
>>
>>323991767
>Combat in a final fantasy game
>Fun
Okay this I have a hard time believing, from what i've seen the combat seems pretty bland besides ex moves
>>
File: 1430225549302.jpg (17KB, 236x305px) Image search: [Google]
1430225549302.jpg
17KB, 236x305px
>people hate FF13 because its a hallway simulator
>people love FF10 despite the fact that its a hallway simulator
even made by the same development team, this shit pisses me off, and tidus is without a doubt one of the faggiest protags in the series this side of vaan
>>
>>323990225
Because Spoony said so a few years ago, and people believe him without playing the game.
>>
>>323990225
Its not.
Only asshurt FF6 hipsters shit their opinions onto /v/ and other boards.

FFX is japans favorite and it was always massively popular in the west too.
>>
It's a great game, but it varied greatly from previous installments and ultimately began the "Final Fantasy but not really Final Fantasy" period we're now in.
My biggest complaint is the lack of an overworld map to explore and of course the voice acting was atrocious.
>>
>>323991917

not that guy, but FFX's combat system feels well designed at the very least

the turn order system made a lot more sense than the stupid ATB bars
>>
It's not, butthurt 8 and 13 fags always try to deflect their shitty games getting justified hate onto 10, despite 10 doing everything better than 8 and 13
>>
>>323992039
>the turn order system made a lot more sense than the stupid ATB bars

How do ATB bars not make sense, what
>>
File: finalfaggotry.png (517KB, 1360x1248px) Image search: [Google]
finalfaggotry.png
517KB, 1360x1248px
>>
>>323990894
I agree with this.
>>
>>323991917
Why enter a thread to tell people they're wrong for enjoying something that you don't?
Stick to a consolewar thread
>>
>>323991783
final fantasy X-2 had a great battle system, arguably the best use of ATB in the series, and the garmentgrids and jobs were fun, but the story was idolshit and few people stuck it out til the end, which is sad because it has a great and challenging post game dungeon
>>
V, XI, and Crystal Chronicles are the best FF titles
>>
>>323992086

they make sense but are poorly implemented because shit happens like moves taking to long to execute so everyone's ATB bars fill up at the same time and then all the moves just stack up on top of each other and it's a big fucking mess
>>
Of the ones I've played, it's my favorite.

That said, I hate FFXII as a game in its entirety and I see that one praised to high hell around here so maybe my opinion doesn't matter.
>>
>>323990894
I agree.

It's the last one that had respect for the old turn based system, characters were unique, no style over substance unlike how it is now, classic, barely any flaws. I love it.
>>
>>323992120
I'm the op d00d
>From what I've seen
I never said he was wrong or anything it just doesn't seem like a fun unique system
>>
>>323991719
The first FF game I played was the original on NES and I think X is the best one.
>>
>>323992253
I stand corrected.
Still, you should play the game and make up your own mind if you really want to know.
>>
Because as far as /v/ is concerned the best final fantasy is [whichever one I played first] (usually final fantasy 7) and all the rest are shit.
>>
>>323990225
X was great and all but no love for 9 I think it's definitely way up there.
>>
>>323992248
I don't understand how people can hate FF12.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cibQCyJr4Qs
>>
>>323992357
Started the game since everyone said it was their favourite, the only thing that's triggered my autism so far is the way they display hp. I just got past the bridge bit with those pods. Seems decent so far
>>
>>323992587

i liked ff12, but my main gripe with the game is that the story is really boring. the writing, the dialogue and the voice acting is great but the actual content and scenario is bland as hell

i honestly can't even tell you what happened in FF12, but i could probably explain in detail what happened in most of the other games
>>
FFX was XIII before XIII existed. You run down straight corridors with branches that lead to dead ends or dead ends with treasure chests. I did like how it made a return to turn based combat without any ATB (despite liking ATB for the SNES games)
>>
>>323992248
Nobody truly liked FF12.
>>
>>323992736
Executive Medelling and Matsuno being pushed out of the company fucked 12.
>>
Does anyone else not like the way squeenix has "updated" all of the ui's in there games theyve been re-releasing.
FFx/x-2 HD looks like crap so does the 9 port coming out and the entirety of 5/6ios need to be erased from existence
>>
>>323990225
X was definitely well received. The thing with X though was that it was the beginning of the end. Look at all the shit that came after. X-2, XII, and XIII. All of which are pretty shit. And I don't have my hopes up for XV
>>
>>323992086
The problem with the ATB bars is that they don't really matter for anybody capable of making decisions faster than them. You wind up sitting around waiting for animations to finish anyways, so things basically become turn based. I don't think it was until X-2 that ATB really got to the pacing it was meant to be.
>>
>>323992736
It's a game you really need to play through twice to understand.

Ashe was set up by the gods to become a new Dynast Queen, who they would manipulate to guide the fate of humanity as they saw fit. Through her association and friendship with Vaan, she was given the understanding and will the go against those plans and chose to do what was best for her people, rather than pursue war with Arcadia as a Dynast Queen.
In the end, Vayne was never the bad guy, he pursued the same goals through different means, which resulted in the invasion of Dalmasca.

In the end, the Occuria are locked out of the human realm, and Humanity gets to decide its own fate. Arguably this is actually a bad ending since it leads directly into war between human factions and the genocide of Moogles and Viera, but hey.
>>
>>323991783
Well, after X you had X-2, XI and XII. XI being the MMO it was kind of its own thing, and XII was a strange mix. Going from IX to X was pretty jarring in that X pulled a lot away from players in terms of the freedom to explore. Personally I see it as the game that Kitase got hooked on hallways and constant cinematic interruptions, but it wasn't as bad as it is in XIII so I give it a pass.

X-2's Dress Sphere (Job) system was fun. It's fun gameplay-wise, but the story's stupid and Yuna is insanely out of character compared to X, on top of being surrounded by other very bad characters.

XII takes some getting used to, but it has a lot going for it when you get the hang of it. A large world to explore, real-time enemy encounters, and the Gambit system is an interesting idea.
>>
It has the best waifus.
>>
>>323990894
Second best IMO but close enough.
>>
>Best Gameplay
>Worst Story

I preferred XII's gameplay
>>
>>323992253
It isn't a unique system at all.

It's just a really, really good turn-based combat. Probably one of the best in the series and one of the game's strong points. Linear maps, voice acting, silly plot, and bad characters barring Auron bring it down but the combat still stands to this day.
>>
>>323990225
Pino what are you doing?
>>
File: what_girl.jpg (38KB, 362x346px) Image search: [Google]
what_girl.jpg
38KB, 362x346px
>>323990225

>Why is Final Fantasy X considered one of the worst?
Its the second most popular and second best selling game in the series.

If /v/ is your only basis for public opinion, than every game ever is shit.
>>
>>323993481

Finally. An opinion of a FF game I can agree with. Though FFIV may be the worst story.
>>
>>323996543
My weeb shit friends were just goofing me apparently but so far it's pretty okay, when does the game get good?
>>
>>323991923
>still complaining about Vaan
>still didn't figure out FFXII has an ensamble cast and Vaan is just the side character used to introduce the players to the actual protagonist, Ashe, and to a lesser degree Basche
>>
>>323996715

Its a Final Fantasy game. It never gets 'good'. Keep playing if you enjoy the combat. Otherwise, there's not much else to enjoy in the game. Story and voice acting makes the Star Wars prequels seem reasonable. End game content is some of the worst in RPG history. All it has is a good combat engine and the grid system.
>>
>>323993125
>playing FFT
>realize its Ivalice

Hey, where are all of those wacky magical fantasy creatures.....oh.....oh.
>>
>>323992251

>old turn based system

FF is mostly ATB m8.
>>
>>323996715
Its great all around. Enjoy the ride.
>>
Tidus is the worst FF protagonist.

Probably the worst vidya protagonist as well.
>>
>>323996894
You clearly missed a huge portion of Ashe's character development if you think that. The only character who effects more change on the plot than Vaan is Ashe herself.
>>
>>323990225
>Why is Final Fantasy X considered one of the worst?
It isn't. It's just that all you ever see are the obnoxious faggots who go around recalling the "HAH HAH HAH HAH" scene and little else.

FFX is among the best in the series.

The worst is FF9
>>
>>323996997
>>323997080
I thought that the story was the only good point about FF? I just got scrapped out that blue lion dude, and Wakka's the coolest dude. One final question though, is FFX-2 any good or is it like Persona The Answer?
>>
>>323991080
I liked X, but liked X-2 better because of the system and playing dress-up. Mainly the dress up

I'm not sure if I like VIII better, since it has the "My first final fantasy" tag added to it. I replayed it recently and still found it fun, but it's easy to min-max and break.
>>
>>323997245
>people thinking the hahahaha scene was bad
>implying tidus wasn't being a huge dick
man was top tier bants.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3508x4961px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3508x4961px
>>323996618
IV was a classic though. It had all the right missteps that if somebody had in their game nowadays, it would be awful.

It's why nobody bashes George Lucas for destroying the Death Star in A New Hope, and then bringing it back for Return of the Jedi.
>>
File: enhanced-19466-1406583853-8.jpg (91KB, 625x480px) Image search: [Google]
enhanced-19466-1406583853-8.jpg
91KB, 625x480px
>>323997084
I'm playing FFX again right now and I dont see how.
There is absolutely no issue with Teedus as a character.
He just looks stupid because he got hit by Nomura too hard.

>>323997328
FFX has a good story. Just play the fucking game if you enjoy it.
FFX-2 is a continuation of FFX, but its such an extreme shift in tone that its turning off many.
Gameplay in that one is really good at least, but most dont see it as a must play.

You can give it a shot after finishing FFX and see if you can stand it.
>>
>>323997328

>I thought that the story was the only good point about FF?
Its the focus of the series. But ironically, the story in most FF games is laughable.

If you want to play an RPG series that focuses on story, but is also done well, play Suikoden.
>>
>>323996997
>It never gets 'good'.
Except FFX is actually good. Unlike every other FF game.

>>323996715
It gets good at some point. It's hard to say, really. It happens slowly and organically.
It's easily the best FF, arguably the best JRPG on PS2, and definitely one of the best JRPGs of all time.
>>
File: 1420817744215.jpg (297KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
1420817744215.jpg
297KB, 800x800px
>>323991719
>My best FF is FF8 demo

Best FF hands down.
>>
>>323996715
around the time you acquire based Auron
>>
>>323990225
what anime?
>>
>>323997245
I like you.
>>
Man Edgy Proxy was so lackluster. Best episode was the one where they were stranded, nothing happened for the whole episode just like all the others but it was entertaining
>>
>>323997514
>There is absolutely no issue with Teedus as a character.
Sure there is. If you love memes and parroting gamefaqs without actually playing the game.
>>
>>323990225
I thought it was pretty meh when it first game out. Then I went through a phase where I thought it was shit. Then XIII came out.
I hate the sphere grid and all the hallways but it's pretty good.
>>
>>323997614
>Except FFX is actually good. Unlike every other FF game.
"Getting good" in that context meant that he was expecting the game to shift dramatically.
He already has the full experience
>>
>>323998279
>implying memes were a thing when FFX came out
ok idiot
>>
>>323998079
>around the time you acquire based Auron
But right after you do you have to go through that long boring path-corridor with the ruins.
>>
>>323998612
The game does get good. Just not at any particular moment. It starts off decent and ends amazing.

Somewhere in between, it passes through "good."
>>
>>323990225
The gameplay is fantastic easily the best of the series and carries the game pretty far.

Unfortunately the rest of the game barring the soundtrack is utter trash and in a genre were people don't really give a fuck about good gameplay that's kind of a bad thing.
>>
>>323998683
I can't say I remember it changing that much. There's not a moment like unlocking a bunch of classes and forming strats around them or leaving Midgar.
it's a great game and it's consistent.
>>
>>323991615

Some of the ultimate weapon quests are tedious. Feel free to avoid them.
>>
>>323990894
Played for the first time in 2015 and I agree. Tidus is relatable and realistic
>>
>people hate XIII with a vengeance
>have X as their favorite FF

I don't get this meme
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (117KB, 1279x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
117KB, 1279x720px
>>323998869
>check out a balloon catcher video
>"oh this looks pretty easy"
>mfw
>>
File: 1430468015588.gif (919KB, 700x525px) Image search: [Google]
1430468015588.gif
919KB, 700x525px
>>323999048
>as opposed to ffvii being favorited
>as opposed to ffviii being favorited
>>
>>323999048
13 is a worse version of 10
What's hard to understand?
>>
File: 1448517120203.png (140KB, 487x600px) Image search: [Google]
1448517120203.png
140KB, 487x600px
>people actually prefer X over XII
>>
>>323999048
Its like they are actually totally different games and you're a faggot who shitposts about games he hasnt played.
>>
>>323999818
Yep.
Fuck 12.
>>
>>323990225
It was the first game I ever had for ps2. I couldn't get into it at first though because I was still pretty young. I had this babysitter who showed me a ton of great games though. Told me to stick it out, I did, it was great. Once the great and powerful Jews decide to drop the ps4 remaster to below $50 I'll buy it
>>
Straight lines
>>
is the hd remake/port for the ps3 done good?
Not really because I am thinking about playing it but to decide if it might be worth to wait for the possible XII hd remake/port
or should I play it in the meantime even?
I tho do dislike XIII strongly
>>
>>324000329

>people hating 12

i thought it was a meme
>>
>>323992086
At its most basic, FFX's turn system is ATB with "Wait" mode on. In addition to ATB, different actions take differing amounts of time so that the turn order doesn't remain static and you have a bit more strategy in how to act. This staging more accurately portrays a flow of combat.

For example, using Items took very little time, making things like potions and grenades a lot more valuable. Even if Yuna is up next and someone is hurting, she could be better off throwing a Hi-Potion quickly instead of casting Cure so as to have another action before the enemy attacks again.

Meanwhile, the default "Active" ATB setting where gagues continue to fill up even when someone is performing an action or you're sifting through a menu to choose an action leads to all of the gagues filling up all together. A lot of potential strategy is lost and you're best off just attacking as quickly as possible.
While a long animation plays out, every other character's ATB gague fills up. If you don't act right away and just sit around making a choice, the enemies will continue to act over and over while you do nothing as though your characters are paralyzed with inaction.

Regardless, while ATB Active is kinda dumb, ATB Wait is fine and FFX's order list is slightly better, the real-time simultaneous actions playing out in FF12 and FF13 is a better system than those if you're just looking at it from the concept of capturing the flow of battle since you can't exactly beat real-time (although the pretty long delays between actions in those two is kind of dumb).
Thread posts: 101
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.