[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

systme shock 2

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 101
Thread images: 15

File: System shock 2.jpg (27KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
System shock 2.jpg
27KB, 480x360px
I just got pic related on started playing it on normal for the first time. I went with Marines then Heavy Ordance, Weapons Training the fighting the Black market for his missions and stats. I just started playing and got to the science wing and I only have a wrench. Is this suppose to be a stealth game? If so what's the tech level I need to shut off Camera. These Hybrids have been raping me nonstop I can maybe kill 2 or 3 with my wrench before I die. Any tips?
>>
>>323947452
Anyone?
>>
>>323947452
Do you even move when fighting hybrids?
I know that hitboxes in SS2 are shit, but with proper movement you can take down 3+ mutants without taking any damage.
Also, you can run below camera, then jump and hit it with wrench. Problem solved.
>>
Git gud
>>
>>323947452
reminder that you havent played this properly until you've heard med-sci music blast in
>>
>>323948939
I've tried moving around yes looks like I will just go back to practing dodge jumping see if it helps

>>323949041
I'm trying
>>
>>323947452
>Is this suppose to be a stealth game?
not really, but you'll want to play smart, carefully and slowly
>If so what's the tech level I need to shut off Camera
higher than what you have, shooterbro
just wreck or shoot the cameras; hack the system only to cancel and alert really
>These Hybrids have been raping me nonstop
i don't see the problem
but try spinning around them, that's a good trick
>>
I just beat this the other day. Wrench is your best friend for now, though I advise either pumping up agility and energy for the fantastic laser rapier later or pump up repair and maintenance early to make firearms viable as soon as possible. I personally went with the former. Also, it's not really a stealth game but you wanna stay out of cameras' view. Also, fair warning - the second to last area sucks major ass. Just bear with it.
>>
>>323947452
>stealth game
nope
ss2 combat is retarded you can literally walk circles around enemies and smack them with the wrench
you can hack the cameras but its easier to shoot them or get close without being seen and smack them with the wrench
if your using reglar weapons you will need points in maintenance and repair skills
ss1 is a much better game too
>>
>>323947452
Heavy weapons suck in my experience.
There is stealth (carried over from Thief) but most of the levels aren't designed for using it so it isn't a big part of the game.
Hitting/shooting cameras will stop them, or you can hack security panels with 1 or 2 Hacking, which will disable them for ~2 minutes or something like that.
Note that your wrench doesn't just deal damage in the middle of the screen like the crowbar in Half Life, it's an object in the world that moves in an arc which means you might have to aim at an angle depending on what kind of enemy you're trying to hit and where they are relative to you. It also means that attacks aren't instant, and you can accidentally hit walls and shit (so can enemies).
>>
Acquire more skill, insect.

Where are all your fucking nanites going?
Buy some ammo and use some guns nerd.
>>
A System shock thread on /v/? Woah!
>>
>>323950339
There was one just earlier senpai
>>
Beware that a bunch of skills are a lot less useful than others.
>>
File: 1405998178559.jpg (314KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1405998178559.jpg
314KB, 1024x768px
>>323947452
Get gud, I can finish the game on impossible with the wrench only.
>>
What's the main differences between SS1 and 2? I've played 2 but haven't touched 1.
>>
File: Sysshock[1].jpg (42KB, 361x500px) Image search: [Google]
Sysshock[1].jpg
42KB, 361x500px
Go play a different, better game instead, anon.
>>
>>323952295
SS1 has a lot less in the way of RPG elements. No classes or stats or cybermodules, it's sort of like a Metroid game in that character progression is done by exploring to find new equipment, and you backtrack a lot through levels that are generally larger than ones in SS2. It doesn't have a steep dive in quality toward the end like SS2 does, and it has controls from the time before mouselook was standard.
>>
>>323952295
Graphics, gameplay is a bit different.
>>
The Shock series must be one of the most divisive series in history. There are some who only like 1, some who only like 2, some who have only played the Bioshock series and refuse to play old ugly games, some who insist that Bio 1 is better than 2, or the other way around, and there are even people who prefer Infinite.

I played Bio 1, hated it and didn't even finish the game. Afterwards I got SS2 and loved it. I guess it's just so much more gratifying and entertaining to be able to find good solutions in such a varied and complex mess of options that is SS2, and Bioshock is just boring and simplistic in comparison.
>>
>>323952817
I think both are pretty incredible.

And all the Thief and SS experience culminated in Deus Ex and it all went down from there.
>>
>>323952696

Hmm, how iffy are the controls? I'm actually pretty new to keyboard controls - SS2 is the only game I've played with proper keyboard controls. I managed but I am not used to it at all.
>>
>>323952295
completely different
ss1 plays like a dungeon crawler in space without the stats, skills etc you kind of collect stuff like metroid
ss2 tries to be more fps like a typical fps i guess it also holds your hand beginning to end
>>
>>323953020
Its okay, the recent gog version you can play with interchangeable mouse look and regular mouse controls.

I think its fine.
>>
>>323947452
Git gud
>>
>>323952817
>The Shock series
Bioshock has nothing to do with System Shock other than borrowing the name and a few superficial details.
>>
>>323953029

I didn't feel like SS2 was terribly handholdy. I mean yes, the narrative dictated the progression but it's nowhere near as bad as something like Skyward Sword. You could still get lost or miss something in SS2.
>>
>>323953463
I still remember the disappointment when I started playing Bioshock.

It then begun 10 years of the pc scene being basically dead.

Fuck you Levine.
>>
>>323953020
That could be a good thing, if you aren't totally used to normal WASD then it might not be as weird to try something different than it would be for somebody who's used to it.
>>
>>323953463

Well, Bioshock is a spiritual successor to System Shock.
>>
>>323953635

Everything but handhelds went to shit after 2007, though.
>>
File: 1450240204527.jpg (156KB, 675x480px) Image search: [Google]
1450240204527.jpg
156KB, 675x480px
>>323953020
you can use mouselook with the re-released version or a mod with the original you should really try with the original controls for at least an hour if you're too casual use mouselook
>>323953463
>nothing to do with System Shock
there are so many similarities that's kind of the point
>>
File: 1409417691571.jpg (242KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1409417691571.jpg
242KB, 1920x1080px
>>323953931
>2007

To me it begun in 2004.
>>
>>323947452
>He went Marines
Disgusting.
>>
File: 1413840828468.png (96KB, 257x252px) Image search: [Google]
1413840828468.png
96KB, 257x252px
>that difficulty spike in The Many's boss room
>SHODAN is actually really easy to deal with
that never sit right with me, it felt like the opposite should've happenned
>>
>>323947452

Hacking 5, Maintenance and Standard Weapons 6 are all that you need to make the game more than manageable, all other stats/skills are secondary. You'll also find it worthy and necessary to the game's plot to learn Research, as it allows you to research certain organic materials, which provides some benefits including a 15% damage boost versus researched enemies.

Grenade launcher is the only Heavy Weapon worth taking and learning the skill just for it is enough. You should know that every ranged weapon can be modified twice for different benefits while also increasing damage +10% twice. HOWEVER, the grenade launcher is bugged and the first modification doubles its damage and stacks with the second modification to a total of 128% extra power. With the right choice of grenades, it becomes extremely useful against any enemy.

There are certain one time use objects that allow you to perform feats that would normally require investment in certain skills - a repair unit, a modification device and a hacking device. They are quite rare so think before you use them.

Also follow the other tips anons gave you, like practising melee hit arcs and kiting. Try to conserve as much ammo as you can, it's not that easy to come by if you waste it on every enemy. Only play SS1 if you love the series.
>>
>>323953757
The creators of bioshock wanted to latch onto the memory of system shock, while it might be a 'spiritual' successor for some, they do not belong to the same series, which is what you stated.
>>
>>323953463

Well it's a spiritual successor and spirituality is bullshit so what do you expect?
>>
>>323954137
Ages ago me and my wife played this together, we went through the horde of The Many with no supplies, and finally we entered the matrix to face Shodan we had a plan as soon as we drop, I hack and she'll beam the shit out of her mid-way of hacking my wife just stated "It's dead" not even half a minute in.

Huge disappointment followed by the sensible chuckle of "Nah."
>>
>>323949158
You'll have plenty of chances with the respawning enemies

>>323952038
Yeah, if you're gonna use guns go either maintenance or repair, using both is wasting resources, maintenance is better and there are autorepair tools in case you need it. Same happens with the upgrades, most are mediocre and only a few are worth it

>>323952817
I liked Bioshock the first time I played it, but it did get much worse at the latter levels. SS2 was one of the few recent played games that made me play it exclusively until I beat it, I loved it too. Gotta play SS1 sometime

>>323953463
Its almost a SS2 remake on submarine station
>>
Laser rapier is mai waifu
>>
>>323954137

Right? That entire area is terrible because the stupid angular geometry that the character gets stuck on, launchers that do nothing but get in the way, radioactive water, THE CAVE OF GODDAMN SPIDERS, and so on. But that last stretch is so needlessly awful. Worst part of the game, hands down.
>>
>>323954428
>NAH
Don't even make me think about that.
Anyway that's cute anon.
Yeah well, i liked a lot the fact that your global supply amount really was a problem, at least for me it was.
>tfw getting ambushed by spiders in the Von Braun's last level while being aracnophobic
>>
>>323954487

This guy knows what's up.
>>
File: constantinesmansion.gif (61KB, 450x300px) Image search: [Google]
constantinesmansion.gif
61KB, 450x300px
>Nah
And they say videogames is a art
>>
File: 1452807939002.png (390KB, 640x460px) Image search: [Google]
1452807939002.png
390KB, 640x460px
>that conflicted feel when SS3 is going to exist
>>
On my second playthrough I got full strength, the psi power which multiplies melee damage by your strength stat, and enough points in exotic to wield the Crystal Shard. By the endgame a single melee attack would take Rumblers down to just a sliver of health.
Is there any way to onehit these things? I want to do another run at some point.
>>
>>323949425
>the second to last area sucks major ass. Just bear with it.

Just that area? Pretty much the entire last third of the game from the command deck on is one giant slide into awfulness, punctuated by one of the worst endings to a game ever.

People shit on Bioshock, and it did water the gameplay down to a degree, but at least it's a game I can actually bring myself to finish once in a while.
>>
>>323955257
>Recreation
>bad
>>
>>323954750
We tried our best to try and sort out roles, I was the hacker, mechanic who also used the physical.weapons
She was the energy weapon wielder and the psionic user or whatever the weird ass powers were called.

I don't know what went wrong, we were doing excellent up until the 3/4th of the game and then we got shafted. I think The Many's hordes just don't play around at that stage.
>>
File: 2015-10-20_00004.jpg (133KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
2015-10-20_00004.jpg
133KB, 1920x1080px
>>323954978

Well it is Paul Neurath who is in charge, not some fucking motherfuckers like Eidos.

We shall see if they still have the thunder.

>>323954954
That mission is the one that really stuck with me all these years and solidify my idea that videogames are on to something no other medium can replicate.
>>
>>323948939

Actually there's nothing wrong with the hitboxes, but the thing is that you need to make the weapon connect with the model instead of aiming your cursor on it
>>
>>323954318
it is a spiritual successor and not directly connected but at the same time it is like a dumbed down version for retards who just want to run around shooting shit the atmosphere and maps were great though
>>323954487
>>323954978
and otherside is doing it
honestly people will get hyped because new SS or whatever but they havn't delivered on underworld ascendant yet so hold your fucking breath on that one first
>>
>>323955385
Holy shit, doing Bonehoard on expert without saving aside from death by falling heh was fun.
Both Thiefs are spot on, dunno what happened at the end of SS2
>>
>>323955358

I'm pretty sure Recreation came before Command, senpai.
>>
>>323955257

I didn't mind the command deck, Rickenbacker, or the matrix so much. Body of the Many is straight-up dreadful though
>>
>>323955861
nah, Ops is deck 4, Rec is deck 5.
>>
>>323955250

http://shodan.wikia.com/wiki/Adrenaline_Overproduction

It multiplies your damage by your PSI stat, not STR. Also grab Smasher upgrade and perform only the overhead attack. Did you research the Rumbler organ for a 15% dmg boost?
>>
>>323956057
Wait shit I just realized I had Operations and Command mixed up nevermind
>>
>>323956057

Command is deck 6.
>>
>>323955365
Yeah i hear ya, i did something similar even though it took me some time to adapt to the game's economy with bullets.
Doing melee/physicalweps/hacker made me feel like a death machine who constantly needed fuel towards the end.
Still, it was worth the hassle to at least finish it once, them audiologs in the Many are stellar
>>
Has anyone here played Terra Nova and is it good?
https://soundcloud.com/robotkid/institute-of-technology-d-tox
>>
>>323956396
yeah it's underrated and sucks it doesnt have any multiplayer
those cheesy fucking cutscenes almost make up for it though even LGS wasn't immune from the live action craze of the early/mid 90's
>>
>>323956651
At least Thief ended up making actually good use of live action in cutscenes. I was listening to that mit interview series and it turns out the guy who was in charge of those perfect cutscenes was an ex-blockbuster employee who lied about knowing Photoshop during his interview.
>>
File: Durandal_Logo.gif (2KB, 182x119px) Image search: [Google]
Durandal_Logo.gif
2KB, 182x119px
Don't mind me, just the superior crazy AI passing through.
>>
>>323949205

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBlhgAkJBos

TVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
>>
File: external004.jpg (1MB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
external004.jpg
1MB, 1680x1050px
>>
File: cit.jpg (745KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
cit.jpg
745KB, 800x800px
>>323958670
how can ss2 even compete
>>
So how do you think SS3 should start anons? What would you like to see?
Will it continue from the ending of 2 with Rebecca Siddons being taken over?
Would you like to see another space station or ship setting, or ditch space and have it set on a planet?
>>
File: help.jpg (606KB, 456x628px) Image search: [Google]
help.jpg
606KB, 456x628px
>>323954137
>didn't realize the rumbler spawns were infinte
>had a stockpile of 70 AR bullets
>tried running in a circle killing as many as I could
>managed to run out of ammo

took me forever to realize I had to shoot the little floating stars
>>
>>323954428
three ICE picks make final boss a joke, the nostalgia from SS1 in knowing exactly what the answer was to "where am I?" was a pretty cool feeling
>>
>>323959247

I feel it'd be a hair disingeneous if Rebecca wasn't at least a plot point. I mean, it's a kinda lame sendoff on 2's end but it happened nonetheless.
>>
>>323959247
Space station pls
>>
>>323959492

>rumbler spawns were infinite

I couldn't fight them long enough to figure that out. I relied on my 5 agility and abused aura and level 5 regen to cheese that shit. I think my hands were trembling after it died.
>>
>>323959721
Eh I didn't mind it because Shodan always had a backup.
>>
>>323954473
>Gotta play SS1 sometime

They're remaking System Shock 1 with original levels and game mechanics, but improved (not top-level) graphics and, I assume, better controls and non-clusterfuck interface.
>>
>>323959247
A planet could be cool but it would have to lend itself to a dungeonlike design with loot, which would basically mean it would need to be an inhabited planet. Problem with that is that isolation is a big part of SS but having everyone there be dead would probably feel contrived unless they had a damn good reason to be dead. I want to see them come up with more ways to do environmental storytelling than the old text/audiolog + writing on walls + conveniently placed corpse methods.
>>
>>323959632

I never hoarded ice picks because I didn't value them. It wasn't worth the inventory slot to me when almost nothing gave me trouble when it comes to hacking. Have a hack stat of 3/4, use the cyber ability and just casually pick up hardware? You almost see nothing over 40% difficulty.
>>
>>323959247
"soft reboot", Earth 20 years later on. After the von braun incident, humanity's eyes turned away from the stars once more trying to eek out the future on the crowed, over populated rock. In the aftermath of the incident, another war sparks between the megacorps and the gov't with Triop being blamed for losing the hero Diego and losing all those important people, while at the same time suffering its own power vacuum.

SHODAN managed to reach Earth somehow in the escape pod but it, and her new android rebecca body were damaged and she lay dormant for years in a slum, slowly regaining consciousness and power.

You're a common slum hacker who just found a pretty dreck piece of hot new tech in an abandoned scrap yard of an old mega-tower. A bit of tinkering and you have a new toy to play with, until it, she, starts playing you...
>>
>>323960281
Enhanced Edition already exists anon, but it does crash if you try to run it above 720p
>>
>>323959247

I don't know how it should start but I know how it probably shouldn't. Shodan tried to consume our universe by building her own, but the player kicked her ass in her own home. So just like the player was able to enter her world, so could she theoretically exit hers and enter ours. A physical living Shodan. A stupid idea straight from the plot guide of 343i writers.
>>
>>323960858

2 already kinda ends on that note.
>>
>>323960281
>remaking System Shock 1
yes
>original levels
maybe
>game mechanics
maybe
>improved (not top-level) graphics
yes
>better controls and non-clusterfuck interface.
original controls and interface were always fine but your right they will change it because they are aiming to put it on consoles as well
>>323960812
you can but its not recommended over 1024x768 and only 4:3
>>
>>323960354
I like the idea of a dead colony planet like alien 2, but something more original might be better.
>>323960663
That's some good setup for Shodan porn
>>
>>323961246
well, it always CTD for me after a couple minutes of running 1080p right after it came out. Maybe it's been patched to be more stable
>>
SS3 will be a VR porn game.
>>
File: ss2de.jpg (44KB, 750x600px) Image search: [Google]
ss2de.jpg
44KB, 750x600px
>>323963149
Fucking wish.
>>
>>323963519
wasn't that bad, the real hell for me was the fucking hallway to get there where for some reason the game spawned way more enemies than anywhere else, like a shotgun hybrid behind be every 5 seconds or so, not even enough time to take the shells from the dead

also
>horde of them charge you after Delacroix shuttle bay scene

RIP delacroix
>>
>>323952423
this
SS1 is a far better game than SS2.
>>
>>323960281
>being this much of a pleb
just play the game you stupid fuck
>>
>>323961727
>That's some good setup for Shodan porn

The dumb idea of Shodan escaping her own little world into our universe would be a good setup for that. It wouldn't just be her possessing some plastic android, it would be her own actual body that she designed and produced in her incomplete digital universe. The thing you meet in the end of SS2, except maybe a little more polygons than what the Dark Engine is capable of rendering.
>>
>>323966753
Although SS3 will most likely have her in a human body, it'll be worth it for the sfm porn.
>>
>attack
>move back
>attack
>move back

Not the hard. In fact it's too easy. SS2 is severely broken.
>>
>>323966753

I think the engine can have much more polys, for some reason they just didn't. See those mods, the models are pretty terrible but way more high poly
>>
>>323952254
Ive never understood this art that's the SS2 protag and that's definitely Rec deck but what the fuck is that enemy?
>>
>>323969141

A mutant concept
>>
>>323969141
oc donut steel
>>
Deus Ex was better. SS2 is still patrician taste though.
>>
>>323969141
Probably just a scrapped hybrid design. What interests me is that it says 1999 Star Insurance, I was under the impression they only got involved after LG died in 2000.
>>
File: 31_2.jpg (42KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
31_2.jpg
42KB, 640x480px
>>323968948
>>323966753

This for instance, much higher poly. If only someone with taste remade them, instead of those titty monsters
>>
It's amazing how this game had no reason to even be made. The entire development process was a joke.
Thread posts: 101
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.