[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are there any games that canonically end badly? Alternate endings

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 9

File: battlefield.jpg (80KB, 761x452px) Image search: [Google]
battlefield.jpg
80KB, 761x452px
Are there any games that canonically end badly? Alternate endings need not apply, just default endings that do not end on a high note.

I know PoP 2008 for one, but can't think of any others from the top of my head.
>>
End badly like shit endings or endings that are kinda shitty for the protagonist?
>>
>>323914264
Pretty sure he means bad end for protagonist
>>
Dark Souls leaves you with pest or cholera.
>>
>>323914182
Xcom
>>
Any ww2 game. No matter how hard you fight, the wrong side wins.
>>
>>323914397
>>>/pol
>>
>>323914397
perhaps, there's simply no right side then?
>>
Spec Ops:The Line ends pretty bad for all Characters involved
>>
>>323914397
Kek. Eat democracy, fascist.
>>
Nier. All four endings are variably depressing, ending B the least so iirc.
>>
File: 1271899854644.jpg (136KB, 645x611px)
1271899854644.jpg
136KB, 645x611px
>>323914397
>>
Half Life 2 Ep 2
>>
>>323914182
any Yoko Taro game
>>
>>323914526
>Using ideology to justify an war
It's like I'm really living in the middle ages!
>>
Daggerfall
>>
Mass effect

I mean the ending is bad, but it also ends badly for everybody.
>>
MGS3
Legacy of Kain series if you're Raziel
Brothers - A tale of two sons
Doom1 or 2, I can't remember which. The one where the demons kill your bunny pet
Dark Souls if you keep the fire alive
Chrono Trigger if you don't bring back Crono
E.Y.E kinda
>>
Xillia 2 for the Mc I suppose, guy had a really fucked up few weeks.
>>
>>323914643
>>Using ideology to justify an war
Hello?
>>
>>323914182
Xcom Reboot
>>
Halo Reach, you get abandoned on a destroyed planet and then overwhelmed and killed.
>>
File: Whoops.png (14KB, 559x453px) Image search: [Google]
Whoops.png
14KB, 559x453px
>>323914182
LISA
>>
>>323914182
Divinity 2
There was a fan outrage, so the expansion got an almost sickeningly happy end, but the original was a serious "you fucked up, everything is doomed, no hope left".
>>
>>323914182
Koudelka/Shadow Hearts saga, the bad end of every game in the saga is the real end.
>>
>>323914665
I hope you mean Mass Effect 3. Mass Effect 1 had the best ending of all time.
>>
>>323914182
Drakengard ending e is canon. Pretty realistic to. Jets are told to shoot down ufos that can't communicate back. Especially over a major city
>>
>>323914950
I did. Didn't think I needed to specify because they all culminate in to the events of 3, but yeah.
>>
>>323914618
This. And the endings generally make things worse and worse for the protagonist the more you have to work for them.
>>
>>323914182
Fallout 3, Legacy of Kain: Defiance (Kain did nothing wrong), in a manner of speaking the first Diablo.
>>
>>323914969
Actually Drakengard ending A is canon for the Drakengard saga, for NieR, it is E.
>>
GTA IV ending is kinda bad
>>
>>323914182
the gril dies in max payne 2 unless you do the highest difficulty
>>
>>323914835
You had to spoil it, ya cunt!
>>
File: red dead n eddy.png (21KB, 336x330px) Image search: [Google]
red dead n eddy.png
21KB, 336x330px
>>323914182
Red Dead Redemption I'd say.
>>
>>323914182
kotor/tor

specifically revan's fate
>>
MGSV ends with Venom getting pissed at BB and about to get killed
>>
Red Dead Redemption

John is betrayed by the Feds after being used as their patsy. He pretty much played ball the entire time and Ross still came and killed him. So Johns son had a lot of intellectual promise, he was the only one of the family that could read well. He goes off on a revenge tear a few years after his father is killed and falls right into the same brand of lawlessness and violence that got his father killed in the first place. Nobody really ends up winning in RDR.
>>
>>323915078
They actually kinda changed things up. Drakengard 2 got its own little spot on the timeline. It doesn't connect to any other game in the series.
>>
>>323914182
Silent Hill 2
>>
Xcom
>>
Each Drakengard ending is worse than the last. They're all pretty much canon since there's various time lines in the Drakengard/Nier universe.
>>
>>323915145
ayyy my nigga >>323915145
>>
Borderlands.
Rochard.
Dark Souls.
>>
>>323915175
>old woman needs you to rescue something fast or whatever
>you don't do it
>MC dies
>10 years later his son is back
>complete the quest
>thank you mister marston!
>>
Pariah
>>
>>323915380
There's actually some special dialogue some of the strangers give you if you start their quest as John and finish as Jack. The guy building a glider in Mexico says something like "Ah Mr. Marston! You finally have the components I see. You look a bit younger too for some reason."
>>
I guess GTA IV. Same goes for that biker expansion. Ballad of Gay Tony ended kind of happy I guess, it was more lighthearted overall.
>>
fucking Kane & Lynch, both of them.

and it's perfect. the games should end in no other way, but fuck there needs to be another one.
>>
>>323915159
Pretty much every story aspect of Chapter 2 really fucking sucks for Venom (Even though theres not a lot of story to begin with)

>Realizes Paz is a hallucination
>Kids betray him
>Quiet is never seen again
>Huey fucks up everything and causes the infection
>Is shown to be emotionally fucked up in Shining Lights and The Paz stuff
>Ocelot and Kaz know about him being Medic and use him
>After a brief glimpse of happiness by becoming his husbando Big Boss, is immediately fastforwarded to the point where Big Boss sends Snake to Mother Base and kills him and all the Diamond Dog remnants
>>
>>323914182
SOTC
>>
Halo Reach
>>
>>323915617
It certainly had a bleak enough soundtrack to go with it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVzwxQMuOww
>>
>>323915175
Jack kills a man in vengeance but eventually becomes the writer his parents wanted him to be.

At least if the Easter eggs in GTA are anything to go by.
>>
Bloodborne ends badly for everyone
>>
Do games that get a sequel count? Portal ended pretty poorly for the protagonist.

LISA
Hotline Miami 2
Bioshock: Infinite (and especially BaS)
Walking Dead (season 1)
>>
Dodonpachi is messed up. I think all of them have bummer endings, but DDP is the one I remember where you find out you've been killing your comrades all along and the whole "exterminate humanity" thing.
>>
>>323914182
>PoP 2008 ending

Shit was neat, though I guess admittedly bad for the prince.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tT-7_g693Y
>>
File: guts sorrow.jpg (163KB, 1440x1080px)
guts sorrow.jpg
163KB, 1440x1080px
I'm surprised nobody has said Dragon's Dogma.

Your heart gets taken by Grigori, you fight him and get your heart back but Gransys goes to shit and becomes even worse. You eventually fight and kill God, and become God. The game ends with you stabbing yourself to try and break the cycle. Then in New Game+ the final boss God is revealed to be your previous character showing their is no end to the cycle.

No Golden age Berserk armors in PC version.
>>
>>323914182
super fire pro wrestling special, the protagonist wins the championship but the girl he loves still doesen't want him and he kills himself
>>
>>323914182
shadow hearts. but the second game saves it.
>>
>>323915206
That timeline is full of mistakes and is only passed around because a fat tumblrina translated it and pushes it on everyone's face while adding her own stuff to it.
The actual timeline (which was released with the world inside book and spans several pages detailing each year, not just some random schematic) still has drakengard 2 taking place after drakengard 1 ending A, and nier taking place after drakengard 1 ending E.
That timeline you referenced also gets wrong the placement of most short stories and all the endings of nier so you can't really take it seriously.
>>
>>323916139
>Hotline Miami 2
works either way because the ending is both bad for the characters and shit
>>
>>323916853
I was going to, but everything seems like it turns out alright after you become the new Seneschal, and your pawn lives out the rest of your mortal life for you with your beloved. It's kind of shitty for you in a lot of ways, but everyone else turns out ok for the most part. Everyone that's not dead anyway.
>>
The original Etrian Odyssey had a pretty bad ending.

EO3's default endings are pretty sad too unless you read a guild before you start the game to get the obscure counterintuitive better ending.
>>
About half of the Fatal Frame games's canon endings are the bad ones
>>
>>323914182
Oblivion
>>
Metro LL because no Uhlman

C&C 4 because of everything
>>
>>323914618
So much this.
>>
File: AAAAAAAA.jpg (143KB, 1024x658px) Image search: [Google]
AAAAAAAA.jpg
143KB, 1024x658px
By the end of Vermintide, the Skaven are defeated but it only buys the people living in Ubersreik a little more time before they're overrun by bigger and worse monsters later on in the End Times.

Then the whole world ends to pave the way for a new line of figures.
>>
Max Payne 2
Yakuza 5
Oddworld games unless you save everyone
>>
Game ends with the Devil taking over your mind.
>>
>>323919967
Fuck.
>>
>>323916853
NG+ was such a letdown until the final boss. I was flipping shit when I seen that.
It doesn't make sense though, is NG+ an alternate universe where you just kept the role instead of ending the cycle?
>>
Xillia 2
>>
mafia, the MC is shot dead
>>
RF4, the best girl dies when the entire point of the ending half of the game was to save her.

Act 3 is an extended, alternate ending. The game is considered finished when you get the second credits sequence
>>
>>323914643
>an war
Pretty sure not even in the Middle Ages did they consider W as a vowel.
>>
>>323914182
Warcraft: Orcs and Humans
>>
>>323914182
I finished SotC yesterday and i gotta say man what a ending
If you didnt grab the stairs until you ran out of stamina you have no soul
Thread posts: 80
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.